Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki SX4 Crossover

Comments

• perry99perry99 Member Posts: 43
    I've been logging actual mpg, though the computer usually isn't too far off on my SX4.
  • mtenamtena Member Posts: 58
    I need to get around to posting my impressions from my recent test drive, but for now, I was kinda curious about the GPS unit. Having had the window bashed in on my Saturn last year when I foolishly kept our cheap little Garmin in sight, I was wondering if there is much theft risk, given how the unit is mounted in a compartment on the dash. Will thieves know (or think they know) that there is something in there for the taking? There wasn't a unit in the vehicle I drove (the dealer keeps them locked away in the office), and I never thought to ask about security or whether the unit is easy to remove from its compartment.
  • It is real (summer) overall mileage, calculated by the tank. However, I do drive to get good mpg. I rarely go over 70 mpg, I brake less than most people and take corners a bit faster than most (not as much acceleration to do once through it), and I emphasize that this is mileage in warm weather. Bad weather and cold weather cut into it and 22 mpg city is about all I get too. I don't think that is bad though. Our cities are poorly designed for traffic and people still resist traffic circles, despite that there is no sitting at lights (which saves gas), not to mention that they are safer.
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    more than likely the use of more fuel in the winter is caused by how much more dense the air is in the winter so the fuel injecton has to match the dense air with More fuel therefor causing you to use more fuel for the same type of driving. one plus is, you should have more pick up and go.
    ive been seriously thinking about getting a sx4 crossover. im just waiting on the right deal. well i see a man at my local gym that has a 2007 sx4. i asked him all about it. he said he Loved it. i asked him how is the all wheel drive he said.. I NEVER USE IT.. that made me think about things a little different. the main selling point of the Sx4 is the all wheel drive. i live in South West PA. i have a 2004 chevy tracker zr2 and i only used my 4x4 1 time last year and it was to go off roading. so if the sx4 didnt have all wheel drive would you still own one? Btw my tracker is rear wheel drive until put into 4x4 and i never had a problem on the roads since i got it in 2006. Im wondering if i will be paying for something i wont really use? I wondering if there is other cars out there with same features Minus the awd that will get better MPG ?

also get this. i will not mention the forum as it is in BAD taste to do that. you can do a search yourself and find this. but i was reading on a all sx4 forum where the 100k warranty is powertrain only and eveything else is 36k miles or 36 months. there were a group of sx4 owners that had their AC units fail on them at around 40k miles and suzuki did not cover them. there was also ALOT of air bag issues and rear axle leaks. suzuki covered them two. but alot of people had to wait for parts. im not bashing.. i love suzuki. my tracker is made by them. im just stating a few facts and i am embarrassed i didnt look into the warranty more. i didnt know it is only a 36k bumper to bumper warranty. i think others like kia is 60K. ? i would like to hear others thoughts on this.. btw the ac units that failed were $2000 to replace
    First, in regard to the warranty, you don't need to go by some nameless forum. Suzuki is very clear that the 100k is only for powertrain, Suzuki Warranty info and that the bumper to bumper is 36k/36 month. The main benefit is that, unlike many companies, the powertrain warranty is fully transferable.

As for the AWD, I've had my SX4 Crossover for over 2 years. I've certainly engaged the AWD when it's been very rainy and once or twice in the snow. I haven't used it in very rough conditions, but the car has certainly handled excellently in heavy rain on slick roads, and on snow-covered roads.

I believe that they now offer the SX4 Crossover in a non-AWD version.
    if they offer it in a non awd i might look into it. as i have a 4x4 and havent NEEDED to engage it since i bought it. Unless going off road. and as i said before it is rear wheel drive. my main point about the warranty was the Air conditioning units that failed on that forum and since it was past 36,000 miles Suzuki said NOPE not covering it. as they shouldnt. It just makes me rethink a few things. cause to be 100% honest i have had 2 suzuki and BOTH had ac issues. one failed and one right Now is starting to cool less and less, and it was just recharged. My sisters aerio did the samething! i thought that would have been resolved in the sx4 but from the forum i was on with people with higher mileage 40K plus now its ugly head it starting to poke back out... When i first heard about this problem and i had my tracker (suzuki) i thought this wont happen to me cause i take care of my cars. then one year goes by then two. NOTHING. but on yr 3 AC FAILED. they wanted close to $2000 to repair it, i opted to Not have it repaired.. i wonder if suzuki sales a warranty that you can UP the 36k to something alot better.
  • jbrew7jbrew7 Member Posts: 17
    I live in the Sierra Nevada mountains and my SX4 handles the snow with ease. It's amazing what this car can do with large amounts of snow. I haven't had any mechanical problems (knock, knock). My only issue is it looks like I need brand new tires after 22k miles.
  • Wait for the 2010 FWD Crossover. It is a bit lower (no roof rack), a bit more hp, better mileage, nice amenities. The Crossover and Sport handle like go-karts, though the ride is a bit rough.
    i think the FWD is a great choice for MOST people. like i said i have 4x4 and NEVER USE IT... i took a kia soul for a test ride today. im not sure how i feel about it. but it did come with a power moon roof sirius radio INSTALLED and active for 3 months free. bluetooth , IPOD connection Included! cup holders all over the place, 18 inch wheels,ton of rear legs room in the back. it was $17900 NO awd though... i liked the 60000 mile Bumper to Bumper warranty! i played with the power moon roof that was GREAT! one button. but like i said NO awd.. so.....
  • The new Kia Forte blows the FWD Suzuki Forte away.
    im going to a kia/suzuki dealer tonight. they sell Both! imagine that.. lol im going to really compare warranties. features etc. basically most bang for the buck.
  • I'm betting on the Forte, and I love my Suzuki!
  • stinson108stinson108 Member Posts: 4
    Trying to respond to a few things in the recent posts: Following is based on limited time with my 2009 SX-4 AWD manual shift Crossover, Tech version......

The navigation device (a very nice unit made by Garmin) lives in a flip up compartment on top of the dash. It is easily removed to safeguard it. My dealer suggested leaving the empty mount in the open position so that a thief can see it is not installed in the car and hopefully will not break in. The unit, by the way, has built in batteries, and when you take it out it remembers the location where you took it out of the car. You can use the unit (in pedestrian mode) to get back to your car if you leave it in a big parking lot or on a side street in a big city. Neat feature.

The fuel milage is a little low for a small car, but is WONDERFUL for an all wheel drive car. There is no point comparing this car's milage to various Mazda 3, Mini, Ford Focus type cars. They are a different class of vehicle. Compare this car to the Toyota Matrix, Ford Escape, Pontiac Vibe type of cars. The SX-4 shines in that crowd.

Do you really need/want AWD? That is a question you need to answer before you decide what class of cars to shop in, and what group of cars to compare fuel milage, quality and quantily of options, etc among. As far as the question of do you really NEED AWD, I live in northern New Hampshire, which is serious snow and hill country. I drove a Jeep in the winter until I got the SX-4 and only used the Jeep's four wheel drive because of snow maybe ten to fifteen times in five years. But baby, when I needed it, I needed it badly. So, if you live in snow country, the question is do you want to be ready for those very few times when the AWD will save your bacon, or are you willing to be stranded at those times? Life is full of choices. I choose to carry the extra driveline components around and pay the slight fuel milage penalty to be ready for those few times each winter when the AWD will save my bacon.

By the way, and this is important, DO NOT let the ability of an all wheel drive vehicle to go in the snow make you cocky. It can go better than regular cars, but it cannot stop or steer better than other cars in slippery conditions. After a snow storm up here, almost all the cars in the ditch or upsidedown in the median are various all wheel drive vehicles. People get waaaayyy to confident because they can go so well, and go faster than conditions warrant. You still need to steer and stop, and AWD does you no good in that area. Be careful.

My car has been trouble free, but is is only a couple of months and four thousand mile old. Time will tell...........
  • kuhawkheadkuhawkhead Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2007 Suzuki SX4 Crossover in April as a third (commuter) vehicle. I got a great deal on one with only 19K miles on it, so decided to go for it. This has been one of if not the best vehicles I've ever owned. I drive 80 miles roundtrip to work each day, and have been averaging 30.3 MPG since then. I'm 6'4" tall and I fit inside this "little" car very comfortably. Everyone who has ridden with me in it is very impressed and can't believe how much room is inside the car. I'm hoping for some snow and ice this winter as I'm very curious to see how the all wheel drive works.

I strongly recommend you consider this vehicle, if you're in the small car/crossover market. I never would've dreamed that I'd be very happy driving a car such as this, but I very much am! :blush:
  • nolalounolalou Member Posts: 2
    I just picked up my new SX4 Crossover (base model with standard trans).

I've already got a minor problem, in attempting to remove the GPS from it's compartment, the door now won't go down. Apparently opening it a bit too far caused something in the hinge to come undone. I'm sure I can get the dealer to fix it, but is this a common problem?
  • t50t50 Member Posts: 2
    I agree it's better to have AWD or 4x4 and not need it than to need it and not have it. A few weeks ago I picked up a new Crossover AWD touring and it is a fun car to drive. I've read many positive things about how it handles the snow. Back in the 80's I owned a Subaru HB with 4x4 and it was great in the snow, a little tank, but you are right just because you have the AWD or 4x4, you still have to be careful. Better to drive with a little more caution than too much confidence.
  • t50t50 Member Posts: 2
    Yup, should have bargained a little more,but could be the area you live in. Bought a new Crossover Touring pkg. this September 2009 for 18,999. But it took awhile to get them down, I feel it was a good deal. Neat little car, just too early for me to say how good it is. Short time I've had it, the car is fun and once you get use to the auto trans on hills and how to drive it, hills or getting up to highway speed isn't a problem, can't wait to have a reason to use the AWD.
  • nolalounolalou Member Posts: 2
    I've had my SX4 crossover for a week now, and no problems, other than the door to the GPS compartment getting stuck in the open position. (I was able to fix it myself, a small pin on the left side of the door needed to be pushed back in place).

I saw in the GPS manual that you can use it to play MP3's through the radio, and it works great, I loaded up a bunch of songs on a SD memory card, so I may end up not using the CD player as much. (it uses an FM transmitter, which can experience interference, but I live in a city and have had no problem).

Oh, and did you know this car is marketed as a Fiat Sedici in Europe?
    http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2008/12/2009-fiat-sedici-crossover-facelift.html

Louis
    Yeah, I've read that Fiat was mostly responsible for the SX4/Sedici styling. The engine and underpinnings are all Suzuki on both cars, though, except that with the Sedici you can get an optional Fiat diesel engine. Too bad that isn't offered here.
  • emmy26emmy26 Member Posts: 1
    I bought one today and the saleswoman warned me if you push the lid back too far it will need "reset" by the service department. She accidentally did that when she showed me how to use it.

Sure enough I drove the car home and when I took the GPS off the cradle I pushed it back too far.

So I would guess that this is a common ( and definitely annoying) problem.
  • hermitldhermitld Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone taken advantage of this up to $2500 off manual tranny SX4 offer recently?
  • nssx4drivernssx4driver Member Posts: 5
    Hi My ID says it all. I'm in NS, Canada, in winter snow country, get off-road to forests and beaches so I use the AWD Lock alot. I've had my SX4 AWD, JLX Hatchback since March 2007 and I love it. I've got 79,000 km (50000m) on it. Only one maintenance problem, right rear wheel bearing, happily replaced under drive train warranty at about 65,000km. (might be related to my trailer that I pulled for 5000km) Mine is an automatic and heavy hill climbing around the NS coast does require me to shift it like a standard from time to time. Last winter in a big snow storm I covered up the front air intake holes, locked in the AWD and drove out my 900 ft laneway through 16 inches of soft snow with it rolling up over the hood and off the windshield. How cool is that? Just wish I had a video. Take it on the snow covered roads and it handles very well. Compared to a Nissan Versa or other small hatches it is rock solid on the highway. The automatic does get better mileage on the highway than the standard but it is best without the cruise on because the engine revs higher on the hills to keep the set speed. Call me biased but I had a 94' Suzuki Sidekick with 330,000km on it when I sold it after 12 years. :)
  • highmiler650highmiler650 Member Posts: 75
    What's your average MPG?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Be sure to check out Suzuki SX4 MPG Real World Numbers.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I have done that. I was interested in this particular owners experience.
    My experience is much the same as others. I drive it fairly hard but get 20 city - 30hwy most of the time. On a long trip from Ottawa ON to NS I got 32-33. Lot of flat country through Ontario and Quebec on the TransCanada.
  • djs069djs069 Member Posts: 2
    24-29 mpg
    2008 AWD
    Thank you. Considering the 4wd capability this is not bad at all.
  • And I regularly get 29-31 with my 2008 AWD crossover. But it is mostly highway miles.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Some complain about the range but few complain about the view - that goes on for miles.

2009 Suzuki SX4: I Can See for Miles and Miles (Inside Line)

So true! It is a great looking car. And speaking of the "view," that's one of the huge advantages of the SX4 Crossover: the visibility. So many cars these days have low rooflines in the back with thick C pillars (the rear ones) so it can be hard to see well behind you. But the SX4 has relatively thin C pillars a big wide windows, even in the back, so visibility is excellent 360 degrees. A definitive plus when it comes to driving safety.
  • unformedmatterunformedmatter Member Posts: 1
    i just got a deal from my local dealer.

i got the 2500 for the manual sx4 touring, plus 500 holiday cash.

my dealer is also running a special to move the 2009's out; another 2000 off.

sweet deal for the features in this little car!
  • jcpaddlerjcpaddler Member Posts: 1
    Hi.

I got a 2009 SX4 Cross over with the Tecnolgy Package and wanted to know what security/remote start system could i install ??

Thanks
  • kellyz817kellyz817 Member Posts: 3
    Yes, you can get a remote starter installed in any auto alarm dealer.
    I just got one installed last month and it works great in warming your car in the winter.
    There must be something wrong with my car then,
    I just brought a 2009 SX4 Crossover AWD. I am a female and I drive fairly nice. I got ONLY 15/22 on my car. Could there be something wrong with my engine? Or is the MPG reader is defected? But then I have to fill up my tank every week. So I only drive for 7-8 days on a full tank of gas. I drive mainly on local, to work and grocery shopping. My MPG indicator says 15.5mpg. When I went to NY last month it went up to 22mpg on the highway. Then it kept dropping every day @ 0.3mpg so now it went down to 15.5. I don't know if it will go any lower. I hope not!
    I don't know why I don't have the fuel economy I should have on my car.
    I just brought a SX4 Crossover AWD. I am very disappointed in the fuel economy.
    I wanted to know if anyone else have the same problem.
    The fuel economy indicator drops the MPG every day at 0.3mpg. I had the car for a month and it went from 23mpg when it was delivered to me DOWN to 15mpg right now.
    I don't understand. I know that the Gas Economy depend somewhat on your driving but I a woman. I don't think I drive hard. I drive normally every day to work and mostly locally. I have a 3 year old son, so I wont drive harsh. I am a very careful driver. But I don't understand why my fuel economy went down to 15mpg.
    Can anyone tell me why?
    How can I fix it?
  • What year is it? For example, the 2007 gearing for manual transmission gave lower mileage. The 2010s get better mileage because you have a choice of a 6 speed manual or a continuously variable automatic. Also, the AWD Crossover has a small fuel tank, so no matter how good your mileage, you will likely be filling it each week.

The fuel economy indicator is not totally accurate, but it is a fair estimate of what you are getting. You can figure mileage by filling your tank, and setting the trip odometer, and then figure your mileage the next time you fill up (gallons used into miles driven).

Fuel mileage drops considerably in really cold weather. It drops a lot with city and stop-and-go driving. It drops when you start off quickly and brake quickly. It drops if you drive over the speed limit. It drops if you carry a lot of crap around in your car.

Re-set your fuel mileage gauge before you take a highway trip. Use your cruise control or pay attention to maintaining a constant speed. If you are at a long light in town, shut it down. In town, try to stay in the highest gear you can without lugging it.

Oh, and it shouldn't make a difference, but on my Crossover it does...turn off the auto AWD when you don't need it. The readout will jump anywhere from .2 mpg to 1 mpg just by switching it off.

Remember, you want to keep your revs down, except when you really need to accelerate, and drive like you have an egg between your foot and the accelerator. One other tip: use the instance mpg readout to train yourself to get better mpg. It can become a game to get the number to go up instantly.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Do you use snow tires or the original faactory tires during the winter months up in Nova Scotia?
    Snow tires are a must here in winter as in most parts of Canada except the West Coast of British Columbia and a few areas of Southern Ontario nearer the Detroit and Niagara border areas. Some people try to drive on original equipment tires but they are likely to get in trouble just because the rubber compounds are not as flexible in colder temperatures so they do not grip very well. Just this past weekend, there was a big storm in parts of Atlantic Canada. One town about 200 miles from me got 22 inches of snow whereas at my place it was about 4 inches before it turned to rain. :)
  • imaginaryimaginary Member Posts: 62
    So in the 2010 Suzuki SX4 Crossover you have 3 different driving modes: FWD, AWD Auto, and AWD Lock.

Is it possible to engage AWD Lock without having to put the car in park? Sorry, I'm no car mechanic so bare with me please. :) I read somewhere that you can only use the AWD Lock mode up to 40 MPH. After that it switches to AWD Auto for a smoother ride (smoother?). What do they mean by a "smoother ride"?

I guess a similar question that will help me with my decisions is what is the difference between the AWD Auto mode and the AWD Lock mode?
  • AWD Lock is for low speed conditions. It locks the differential. Think Subaru in the 1980s when their 4WD was for slippery conditions only. Driving on dry roads with it put too much stress on components that had no way of compensating for tires turning at different speeds on cornering and such. AWD Lock is an extra way to possibly get you out when you are stuck. The gearing is different than on AWD Auto. Now, another factor is whether or not you have the stability control on when you use AWD Auto. Sometimes you get more purchase if you turn the stability control off.
  • imaginaryimaginary Member Posts: 62
    Okay.

So I'm assuming the automatic change from AWD Lock to AWD Auto after you pass 40 MPH is a one way road, correct? In other words, you can't slow down to below 40 MPH, press the AWD Lock button, and expect it to change into AWD Lock mode while the car is still in motion?
  • reidduncanreidduncan Member Posts: 2
    my 08 sx4 crosover has a buzzing noise in the dash under the cover for the clock/mpg. how do i get the cover off without damage to look for the source of the noise? my local dealer was no help. they told me to hit the dash real hard. the glove box also has a buzzing noise it goes away when i put slight pressure on it with my hand. i cant do that and drive!
    No, it works both ways. If you slow down below 40 mph on an icy road or in snow or mud and need the traction you just press the button until the light comes on and you are back in AWD Lock. I use this quite a bit at intersections where really good traction is needed when entering traffic flow.
  • 8str8rollin8str8rollin Member Posts: 9
    I find all of that rather strange consider I've owned a total of 7 Suzuki vehicles. Very strange indeed. None of the Suzuki's that I've owned have needed any major repairs (just stuff like light bubls, breaks, clutches, "wear items") and out of all of those different Suzuki cars, NONE have ever had ANY A/C problems whatso ever. My current Suzuki is now 4.5 years old with approximately 45,000 miles on it. I just recently moved after having lived for 3 years in one of the driest deserts in the USA, using my A/C full blast everyday, and absolutely no issues, and it still blasts ICE COLD. My first Suzuki, the venerable Swift I put over 245,000 miles on that car, and the A/C worked just as good as the day I first bought it, with just a couple re-charges in between. I know alot of other people with Suzuki vehichles too, and none of them have had ANY A/C issues either.
    $2000 to repair an A/C unit huh? Where did you get that estimate, at the dealership or something? That's absolutely ludicrous, considering an entirely new A/C unit installed can be had for less than that, even in a car that never had A/C in the first place.
    Getting non-warranty repair work done at a dealership is a sign of stupidity, since their rates are sometimes 3 or 4 times higher than what you would pay at a competent non-dealer repair shop!
    Go to an actual A/C repair shop, you can get almost any A/C unit repaired for MUCH less than the rediculous $2000 price you claim.
    Also some people forget that as per the owners manual, the A/C unit should be operated at least once every month, including during winter months, since not using it for extended periods of time can actually cause it to lock-up and fail. Sometimes people that live in the northeastern states with long cold winters forget about this fact and don't turn on the A/C all winter long. The A/C can be operated even with the temperature selector set to warm or hot.
    Considering what appears to be your "fluke" of bad luck with A/C units, it would make alot of sense if in the future you decide to purchase another Suzuki vehicle that you also pick up an extended bumper to bumper warranty, since afterall, according to your own testimony you've had 3 Suzuki A/C units fail with a repair cost of $2000, you could purchase an extended bumper to bumper warranty at the delearship to match your 7-yr, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty for less (with some negotiating) than what you say it costs to repair one of those A/C units. Think about it ;)
  • pinkpup58pinkpup58 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a suzuki croosover sx4 in april of 2010. As of this month the Suzuki corp in is the process of buying this vechile back. I have never had such problems with a new car. First month car was in for service for a recall and a bad sensor in the fromt left wheel. Then in august the check engine light came on, of course, I checked the gas cap, nothing wrong. The light would stay on for along time, then for no reson it would go off, this kept happening until the end of sept. took it back to dealership service but by this time the ESP was coming on with the engine light,when you drive it this way u cant use the cruise contol, it stops it from fuctioning. My car has been in the service area for 25 days. They cant find the problem. They even brought nin top techs from other parts of the us. So, now they are going to buy the car back, I would never buy another suzuki car. I am not a hard person on cars, take very good care and do proper maintence on them. When I started getting the service done my car had 3200 miles on it. I picked it up yesterday from the service dept. yes both lights still on and it has 4300 miles on it noe
    edited December 2010
    It's unfortunate that you had all of those problems, but at least the company recognized them and is buying the car back. No car company is 100% perfect. Even the company with the best quality rating is going to have cars that turn out to be lemons.

I bought a 2008 Suzuki SX4 Crossover in October 2007 and have not had a single problem with it.
  • Yes, I am also sorry that you had such an incredibly bad experience with what is generally a reliable model (check with Consumer Reports). It is awesome that they are going to buy it back. Under the circumstances, I can understand why you say you will not buy another Suzuki. Bear in mind though that with any car company, current products bear little relationship with models of 10 or 20 years ago. Brands change for both the good and sometimes not so good. Some day you may even find that you consider a Suzuki again.

My 2008 SX4 has been flawless. It has never been back to the dealer since I drove it away nearly three years ago. My mechanic has done routine maintenance. That is all.
  • suzsx041suzsx041 Member Posts: 2
    i have also had my sx4 for over 3 years and not one problem had the engine light come on once my fault i put a cai on and didn't tighten one of the clamps properly this is a great little car and is bullet proof :P