Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Transmission Questions

Comments

• bruce2222bruce2222 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 explorer and am installing a new engine but I can not seem to get the convertor fully engaged into the tranny input shaft any suggestions ?
  • disvnvetdisvnvet Member Posts: 4
    Is this a new engine or another engine. I gather you are trying to slide the converter onto the transmission shaft. When installing you should turn the converter clockwise while pushing towards the tranny. It will slip in two separate times. When you hear the converter bottoming out you will know that it is in all the way. If it does not go on at all, make sure there is nothing in the converter hole or on the end of the tranny shaft. If both are clear and it still will not go on, make sure you have the correct converter.

Let me know.
  • grunt0322grunt0322 Member Posts: 1
    have a v-6 explorer sport 2 wheel drive and my question is;
    the past few months it has been shifting funny and the RPM's
    are climbing.Today from a stop light I counted the shifting between gears
    and counted only 4 with the overdrive off.
    Does anyone know why it won't hit that 5th gear?
  • redruby529redruby529 Member Posts: 4
    I had the transmission rebuilt in my 2003 Explorer exactly 1year and 1week ago and my Explorer is now back in the shop, less than 10K miles later for the EXACT same problem; blinking O/D light and major tramsmission slipping and the RPMs through the roof before it shifts. It was so bad we almost didn't make it to the shop with it. We are 1 week out of the 12month warranty...GO FIGURE!!! and at this point we still don't know if they will take care of the repair but I bet I can guess the answer to that one. Not sure if the shop just did a crappy job or if it's just this crappy transmission but either way we are going to have to lump some more money into my car that I unfortunately still love even after all of the problems I 've had.
  • ctownsellctownsell Member Posts: 1
    Mine seems to be a little different. My O/D light is flashing on my 03 explorer. But, I have not gotten a service engine light or a check transmission light. Also, it may have a hard shift from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd. But, there is no excess RPMs and it has been doing this for about 10k miles. So, in my situation, what should I look to replace?
  • redruby529redruby529 Member Posts: 4
    In the manual it says that the blinking O/D light basically means it needs to be checked out as soon as possible. Mine started blinking one morning and by the next afternoon it was shifting really rough and with the excessive RPMs. It may be a little different but I would still have the transmission check out...BTW I never had any other indicators other than the blinking O/D light.
  • benbiznizbenbizniz Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    There is nom dipstick to check atf fluid levels. There is a drainplug on resevior. How will I refill? 4.0 liter 2005 explorer
  • dwilson80dwilson80 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I have a 94 explorer with the A4LD6 transmission. A couple days ago it started shifting wrong from 1st to 2nd. Here's the scoop- if started for first time of the day and driven it will high rev (lag) before shifting to 2nd gear 1 or two times then it will drive normal until it cools off, then it will do the same thing also if I let it idle for a while it will shift normally. I think it 's the torque converter but I'm not certain and was wondering if anyone has some input for me. There is another post on here with the same issue but I couldn't figure out how he solved the problem. Any info/help would be GREATLY appreciated.. thanks in advance!!!
  • razorback_ronrazorback_ron Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Explorer has >150k miles. When I step on the brake to shift out of park, I have to stomp hard several times. Often, it takes 3-4 min to shift. Once it's out of park, it's fine. Is there an override switch or something that I can bypass pressing the brake while shifting? thx.
  • dwilson80dwilson80 Member Posts: 2
    I honestly don't think there is a override switch but I would think it's just the cable is stretched and needs to be replaced. Good luck
    F-fix
    O-or
    R-repair
    D-daily
    but I love my explorer and mustang....
  • helpmeplz5helpmeplz5 Member Posts: 1
    i just got a 95 v6 exsplorer and the 4th day having it the 2wd will not work. i did notice a winding noise prior when i would let off the accelorater when going over 35. as i was driving at about 45 mph it made a horrrorble clunck and it did not go no more. i pulled over and when i put it in park it grided as if it were a manual (its not) so i tried 4wd low and drive locked in... i tryed it again in 2wd nothing.... someone tell me what i need to do with this thing befor i push it off a cliff. i can drive in 4wd fine but its not fine to do.... i need fixed asap and just put all my $ into buying it
  • 2008explorer2008explorer Member Posts: 4
    Have a 2008 explorer limited. Took in to dealer this morning to address transmission lurching in low gear - usually near a stop or while accelerating. Also within the past week, the explorer started to stall - first time while in park, next several times while the car was actually driving (approx 30 mph). Any advice on what to discuss with dealer - I'm sure they'll call back and say nothing is wrong and I'm hallucinating.

Please note - I posted this same message in "starting and stalling" forum

Thanks for any help
  • kam327kam327 Member Posts: 115
    My '06 V8 lurches too. I'm very interested to hear what your dealer says since I've been thinking about taking mine in. I think I read before that it's a programming issue and they can reflash the software to fix it, or at least minimize it.
  • pjfordpjford Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Ford Explorer 6cyl 4.0l engine 4x4 XLT. My Transmission is shot and I'm looking for a best fit, used transmission from another vehicle. Could you tell me what make, model, and year vehicle that I could use as a replacement for my vehicle?

Basically, can a 2002 Ford Explorer transmission be replaced with transmission from any other year?
    Dealer replaced throttle sensor and reprogrammed the ecm (pcm). The reprogramming took care of the transmission issue. Throttle took care of the stalling.
    See message number 270. the ecm/pcm (engine/powertrain) control module was reprogrammed.
  • emmiecemmiec Member Posts: 2
    We had a 2007 Ford Explorer (Eddie Bauer) that did the same thing. Right before stopping the car would lurch or have a bump. If not coming to a complete stop and starting up again the vehicle would bump. We tried 5 times to have the car repaired and they failed to fix it. We went with the lemon law and won. We had the choice of what was wanted to do and unfortunately for us we decided to take a replacement vehicle, we took a 2008 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer edition. We are having the same problem. We took it to the dealer 3 times and filed for the lemon law again. Ford contacted us to let them try a 4th time to fix the vehicle and they claim there is nothing wrong with it. We are now waiting for the next step. In Florida the Better Business Bureau handles the lemon law. Ford acts like they never heard of this problem but we have had 2 Explorers with it. Good Luck!
  • 07imanexplorer07imanexplorer Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2010
    Hello all, I am new to this forum so forgive me if I put too much or too little info in here. I need help. 2007 Ironman Explorer V8 with 20K miles. Since day one I have noticed a hesitation in shifting from 1-2. taken in numberous time for 1st couple of years, now I am starting to complain about it again. They have reprogrammed per bulletins, but state no new bulletins available. Must be just how I drive...I have also have just had it in for a thump noise when a/c on. They replaced accumulator assembly & drier assembly per TSB 8-11-6. The also just replaced rear pads, slipper slides & fasten in place per TSB 9-22-13 ( again I found for them ) due to rattle noise under vehicle when going over bumps. In the past they also replaced some spring in park.

Today I noticed the LOUD thump noise from the front end of the vehicle while in reverse, just taking off a few feet with A/C on. It is so loud it startles me and I think I may have hit something, ect...I called service dept at FORD who state we just replaced some of the A/C parts per TSB, so should not be that, so will have to take in again this Saturday to see if they hear it. Of course, If they can't duplicate it then they can't fix it. Could it be something else?
    Now they want me to purchase an extended warranty, but I really don't feel it is fair to spend more $ knowing the issues that are evident to them.

HELP!!!! I am so sick of the "We can't duplicate it so nothing wrong attitude" or "It's the way you drive"...

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks...
  • emmiecemmiec Member Posts: 2
    With the 2007 Ford Explorer (V8 Eddie Bauer) that we had we took it back to the dealer 5 times and either they "did a PCM update" to try to correct the problem or they said they could not duplicate the problem. The bumping, thumping at times was so violent that we actually would look to see if someone rear-ended us. We did get a exchange vehicle through the Lemon law in our State (Fl.) Now we have a 2008 Ford Explorer (V8 Eddie Bauer) and am experiencing the indentical problem. I just filed for the lemon law again and I am waiting for a response. I am also sick of the dealership telling me that there isn't anything wrong with the vehicle or that they can't duplicate the concern. The most important thing for you to do is SAVE all invoices. Check out your Lemon Law booklet that you should have gotten with your vehicle or go to the dealer and ask for a copy of one.
  • 07imanexplorer07imanexplorer Member Posts: 3
    Thank you. I called the service dept on Wednesday and had a talk with the manager. I can tell he just wants me to go away. After telling him that I joined a forum on explorers issues, openly discuss my issues on facebook he remarkably came up with a TSB for the loud thump noise. They have to completly reprogram the PCM/TCM again. Who know if this will help. They said if no then they will have to be able to duplicate it before they will touch it again. Now I have also noticed that I can feel a slight vibration in the steering well when driving. Nothing major, but this seems to have appeared after they replaced my back breaks. I guess I will have to call them again....Geez, I really hate having to do that, but my warranty runs out next month for factory.. I also did notice a vibration in the break pedel when at a complete stop. that only occured once. I think I am screwed as far as the lemon laws goes in WI :(

I really wish a mechanic would actually get their hands dirty...
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    My mom has a 2007 Eddie Bauer 2WD V6 that is having the same problem. It has 118k miles on it, so there's no hope of any warranty repairs. But I've seem references to several TSBs that mentioned this and the recommended fix was to 'reprogram/reset the PCM" which hasn't been done. Is that something that a reputable independent repair shop could do or is the dealer my only option?

If I can't get this issue taken care of, I told her (mom) that I'm selling it! It has been nothing but trouble since she got it. The A/C compressor locked up last year and the dealer said it would cost anywhere from $1900 to $2300+ to replace it. I tracked down a new compressor from a Ford dealer who sells parts online and managed to haggle them down almost 20% for the compressor, evaporator (if I'm not mistaken....either that or a condenser), new lines and the A/C belt for $800 shipped. My dad's mechanic installed it for $300 including the refrigerant so it was repaired for $1100.

During an oil change, at least a year ago, the mechanic discovered a small leak in the radiator. He poured some product in with the coolant that works like "Fix-a-flat"' for radiators, as he put it. It has been more than a year and still holding, but it's past due for a coolant change and I've been putting it off with the intention of replacing the radiator at the same time. Ford's price for the radiator (just the part) is over $300. I've found several from other sources that are in the $160-$180 range and come with a 2yr/24k warranty. There are a few as cheap as $120, but I'm not familar with the vendors and they don't have a warranty....no thanks.

If you haven't already figured this out, for some reason I'm the one who has to take care of my mom's vehicle issues...my dad is too nice for his own good, I'm not! =/

The most frustrating thing is how reliable her previous Explorer was and continues to be. She had a 2003 XLT 4WD V6 and my sister bought it when mom got the EB in May 2008. The '03 recently hit 170k miles and still runs like a champ and has never needed more than regular maintenance.

Speaking of regular maintenance, the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual doesn't require a transmission fluid/filter change until 150k...I've never known of a vehicle that went more than 50k between fluid changes. 150k seems ike a lot of miles for the fluid to perform properly, but I could just be stuck in the 90s in that regard....has anyone changed theirs more frequently?
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I've owned 9 Explorers since 1997, and still have an 03 with 130,000 miles on it and an 07. Had one, an 04 with a bad transmission almost out of the gate, it was replaced 2 times by the dealer. Sold it to a friend who is still having transmission trouble with it. The rest have been totally bullet proof. Every once in a while, no matter what you drive, you can get a dud. Anyway, to answer your question, I always have the dealer flush and service the transmission every 30,000 miles. They almost last forever that way, except the 04.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,298
    30k flushes did not work for my '02. Tranny out @ 89k.
    3500 for a new one.
    When the going gets tough, it's still my first choice.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    When the going gets tough, it's still my first choice.

Mine too, obviously. Anxious to try out the new one, and see if it can still tow.

My 02 gave me a lot more trouble than my 03, which is still running with 130,000 on the clock. I've heard that 03 was a great year for Explorers as far as reliability was concerned. I have no idea why.
  • jmathis555jmathis555 Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2011
    I definitely haven't heard the '03 Explorer was any better than the 2002. I always thought they were identical (at least in terms of engine/transmission/etc)? CarComplaints.com gave both years an Avoid Like The Plague rating.

-John
    '02 was the first year, so some things were probably figured out by '03.
    I know there was some kind of transmission snafu in '04 or '05.
    Yeah, I had that lovely transmission snafu in my 04. It turned out to be sabotage in the transmission factory. Somebody shipped the incorrect transmission fluid to the factory, and the initial fill of the transmissions was of the incorrect fluid, which caused an early failure in most of them. I took mine in early for a additive that was supposed to make the bad fluid good, but it didn't work. Mine was too far gone already. They replaced it, but the replacement went bad also, so they replaced it again. I then sold the truck to my friend while it was still under warranty. It has failed yet again. It's never going to be right. He still has it. Meanwhile, my 03 is still running strong.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    So how did the "incorrect" ATF get into those next two transmissions..??
    Really good question, but I don't think it did. I think the damage was done to that transmission by the initial fill, and rebuilding the valve body and reflashing was not sufficient to repair it. That's just a theory, it could be they had a batch of bad transmissions that year from France (where they were built), and the fluid thing was incorrect, although it was pretty well documented at the time. As I think I stated earlier, I had a good 2002, 2003, then got the badf 2004, and the 2006 was also a bit screwed up, so rather than repeat that experience of the 2004, I traded the 06 on an 07, which I still have, and has been excellent in every way. So, I don't know for sure. Each time they fixed the transmission for me, always under warranty, it was fine, but shortly started malfunctioning again. Cars like that, I often find just are never right, and I push them down the road. Some people never buy another of that brand after experiences like that, but the Explorer is just such a great design with those 3rd row seats that fold into the floor, the independent rear suspension that really cushions the ride, and the superior engine technology, I keep buying them. Some other brands have started copying them, but Ford had it way first in that class. We'll see what I think of the 2011, I'm a bit skeptical right now. I like the ruggedness of the old design.
    My '02 has had it's share of issues that have cost me some money, but I still enjoy driving it every time i do.
    It drives well, sounds good and has a good sound system.
    It's also my kids first choice for the above reasons.
    I filled up my AWD Fusion about 3 weeks ago and have driven it about 60 miles since then.
    Pretty much drive the Explorer every day.
    Our weather has been pretty bad for the last month or more, so why use your second best tool for the job?
    I agree, my 02 was a good one as well.
  • gorskigorski Member Posts: 1
    i got a 97 explorer and the tranny tonight was work fine i turned it around and switch it from 4 low to 4 high the light changed and i put it drive and hread a bang sound and then couldnt start my truck off in drive i had to start it in 2 gear then shift up to drive and i wouldnt start in 1 gear either only 2 gear i just need help to figure out what is wrong to i cant my some informed disicions thanks.
  • nyhtmarenyhtmare Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Sport trac and it has an annoying habit of slipping out of gear (No matter what the RPM, speed, weather or elevation... Yes ive monitored it that close) it will randomly drop out of gear for a split second and send my RPM's sky high. Sometimes itll make my truck buck a bit because the truck cant figure out what to do seemingly. Then itll all go away leaving behind a code for something to do with my fuel rail pressure sensor. Which the Ford techs cannot replicate to save their lives. I dont know if this is something like anybody else has been experiencing maybe?
    Sounds like you broke a band in there to me. You need to have it looked at. At the least, you have possibly broken a shift motor for the 4WD.
    In my experience, you may be low on fluid. There is no dipstick or add tube on that truck, so you'll have to have somebody look at it from under the truck, and if it's low, they can top it off and it may fix your problem. If you have 50,000 miles on the truck, and haven't had the transmission serviced yet, have them do that. If that doesn't do the trick, you could have a valve problem in there, or a programming problem. It may need to be flashed by the dealer. That may do it. Thirdly, and sadly, 04 was a bad year for Explorer transmissions, and many of them failed due to some sabotage at the factory that year. If you have one of those, sell the car, it's going to likely be chronic problems from here on out. I had an 04, so I know. It's the only bad Explorer I have had, out of 7 of them. And it was all transmission related.
    ATF overfill or more likely low.
  • whiteonewhiteone Member Posts: 1
    I have an 98 explorer. Transmission went bad in it. Can any other tranny fit in it?? It is an 6.0 sohc, 4wd. Please help
  • chixy5chixy5 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I am new to this forum. I have a 2002 ford explorer with a 4.0, V6 engine. When driving the OD light starts flashing after some stop and move circle and continues through out the trip. The transmisson dosen't shift to the 4th gear until I take my foot off the gas after doing above 3000rpm for some seconds. Sometimes it would shift to the 4th gear with a screeching noise on the back wheels and a jolt, this occurs on long trips.
    When I turn of the engine and starts it back again the OD light won't flash until I drive for a while.
    I know this model has transmission problems but could this be fixed. My check engine light is on and the oil level is ok. What could be the problem.
    A flashing OD light on these cars means your transmission is malfunctioning, and it's terminal. Your transmission will need a rebuild or a replacement very soon, or it will leave you stuck somewhere. It can't be fixed easily or any other way. Sorry for the bad news.
    Actually that transmission might last for another 100,000 miles if you simply disable OD.
    Once the transmission heats up, the light starts flashing.
    Mine did that and I had the trans replaced.
    The light also flashes if the torque converter lockup clutch is slipping, not fully functional. Disable it and lose a few MPG but otherwise..
  • quentensquentens Member Posts: 1
    would you be able to pump a sufficient amount of fluid out of the dipstick tube so i dont have to drop the pan?
  • meme17meme17 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Eddie Bauer Ford Explorer that turned 4 years old last month. It had 63,000 miles on it when I brought it in the first time for hard shifting of the transmission, couldn't get a domputer code and recommended a computer upgrade which we did. Problem continued and worsened. Brought it back the second time and still no code on the computer and recommended a transmission flush which we did and still no improvement and in fact got worse...running through gas....RPMs all over the place....shifting banging. Brought it in the third time and now its a $1200 selanoid pac for the transmission. I have been fighting with Ford for weeks about it being a defective part since I only use it on the highway to go back and forth to work...NEVER even towed a thing except some grocery bags from Shop Rite. Anyway, after weeks of chasing "supervisors" on the phone it comes down to they will not stand by their product and we are stuck paying. I'm furious and WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER FORD. I just dropped the truck off at the dealership with a sign on the back letting all potential customers know of transmission problems at a couple thousand miles over warranty. Next, onto the local newspaper editorials. Everyone needs to know that this car maker will not stand by it's defective $35,000 product!!!!! DO NOT LET ANYONE BUY A FORD PEOPLE.
  • pheislerpheisler Member Posts: 6
    My old (1992) Explorer with 109,000 miles on it starts to vibrate when it shifts into overdrive. I assume it's the torque converter clutch slipping. Think it's worth repairing? It runs ok, shifts ok, except for the shudder after shifting into fourth. I've been driving it with this vibration for quite a while. Don't know if I could be causing more damage by driving it in fourth on the highway. Another issue: when engaging the 4-wheel drive, there is a clunking sound, which the owner's manual says is normal, except that the clunking continues as long as it's in 4-wheel mode. Any ideas as to why it's doing this? Thanks for your help.
  • 2bennett2bennett Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for any ideas I can find on a solution for this. I have a 2007 V6 Explorer Eddie Bauer with 140,000 miles. My transmission died recently, so I had it rebuilt. Ever since I got it back, I have had intermittent problems with the transmission going into reverse or first gear. It only happens one out of every 4 or 5 times. When I put it into gear, I have to rev the engine a lot just to get it to move a little. Finally, it will kick into gear.

The valve body has been replaced twice since the transmission was rebuilt a little over a month ago, and i am still haveing the same probelm. the repair shop has been great. They thought they might have been getting a bad batch of valve bodies, so they used a different supplier last time. Unfortunately, that does not seem to be the problem.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?
    Don't do it that way. But first of all, what year are we talking about? Because, many of the newer transmissions do not have a fill tube or dipstick. Assuming yours does, disconnect one of the transmission lines from the radiator, and put a hose on it that points downward to your collection pail. Start the engine and begin pouring fluid down the fill tube, it will pump the old stuff out the hose on the bottom. When the color changes on the discharge tube to the red color of what you're putting in, you have changed all the fluid. But now, what are going to do about the filter?
    I really hate saying this, because I love my explorers, and have had 7 of 'em. However, I have had 2 with bad transmissions, an 04 and an 06. I have never been successful at getting them to run right once they go bad. I can't tell you why, the dealers have tried and tried, all under warranty. No luck. Eventually, just sold the cars and got another one.

One may ask, why do I keep buying them? Because, they are engineered so well, are tough as nails, and generally are pretty bullet proof. The 07 I have now, is great.
    You might be in for a BIG surprise with the new Explorer/Taurus X/FreeStyle.
  • mike_pabrosmike_pabros Member Posts: 2
    NEED HELP! 1998 ford explorer sport SOHC V6 4.0L: i have recently change my transmission fluid, filter and gasket. now im having slipping on all gears. i ask the dealership and they said that changing the transmission fluid at over 100k miles would cause some problem because the old oil is whats keeping the components together.
    so after changing the transmission, i took it for a test drive and it would engage in gear. so i warmed up the car and after a few minutes i took it for a another test drive and it was good. three days later i took it again to drive a it started slipping. it wouldn't even stay in drive. its like its having a hard time engaging.

anybody out there that can help me
    thank you for your time.
    mike
    my email is
    pabrosmc@sbcglobal.net