Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Transmission Questions

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I have always had trouble with what the dealer told you about not changing old oil on old transmissions, but oddly enough, there always seems to be some anecdotal evidence that it's true. Nevertheless, I would try some of the various TransCure treatments you can buy at a retail auto parts store, one that says, "cures slippage", and see if that helps. If not, you're done for. You'll need a rebuild. Sorry!
  • dwsforddwsford Member Posts: 1
    Low gear seems to be out in my 97 Ford explorer. All other gears are working. Any advice on what the problem may be.
    Probably a band has broken, but it's going to need a rebuild to fix it. No other way.
  • jsaperjsaper Member Posts: 1
    Are you sure it is a trans problem and not an excessively loud coolant fan,the coolant fan is the cause of thousands of trans complaints
  • mike_pabrosmike_pabros Member Posts: 2
    No it's not a trans fan. It's making a little ticking noise on the trans. I talked to the ford dealer and they said I shoulnt have change the transmission oil if it wasn't done regularly. The sludge on the transmission was keeping the gears together. I talked to several mechanic and they said the same. But it still doesn't make sense to me why this would happen. I added some Lucas transmission additive and it seems to help. But I really have to warm up the truck and drive it around before I can drive it on the street. This is what has to happen when it's cold. Thank you so much for responding.
  • tupimelltupimell Member Posts: 1
    saludos, vivo en venezuela y tengo una ford explorer eddie bauer V8 2008 con un problema similar, el golpe de la caja, acudi a muchos concesionarios o agencias y siempre me dijeron que ese golpe era normal y ademas que no habia forma de quitarselo hasta que me comunique con FORD de VENEZUELA a traves de su pagina web y en pocos dias me llamaron para enviarme a un taller especifico donde me resolverian el asunto y realmente fue asi, despues de casi 3 años la camioneta definitivamente es otra, les cuento que le reactualizan el soft ware y para ello cuando se le esta cargando, la camioneta debe ser manejada durante al menos 15 minutos en una via totalmente plana sin frenar para que la computadora aprenda a cambiar sin brusquedad y debe ser manejada por un tecnico que tenga oido con el motor para asi acelerarla de manera adecuada y cambie apropiadamente, esto debe hacerlo 3 o 4 veces, en defecto de la via libre y plana, realizan el procedimiento sobre un puente dinamico que solo talleres bien especializados lo tienen. Por ello le recomiendo que se comuniquen con FORD pues seguro le resuelven el asunto.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    The member above lives in Venezuela and has a 2008 Ford Eddie Bauer V8 with a similar problem - the thunking - and he also went to many shops where they told him it was normal and there was no way to fix it. Then he contacted Ford of Venezuela via their website and they called him and send him to a specific shop where, after 3 years of having this problem, he was told that you need retrain the software by driving the truck for at least 15 minutes on a totally flat surface, without braking, so that the computer can learn to change without abruptness. This should be handled by a technician who can hear the motor and ensure that it is accelerating and changing properly. This may have to be done 3-4 times, and in the absence of a free & flat surface, specialized mechanics have equipment to replicate this.

He highly recommends contacting Ford to resolve this situation.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

edited September 2011
    I wish that worked, but having had one of these transmissions, I sincerely doubt it. Mine had to be frequently reflashed to resolve the problem, which it would do, only to recur in a few thousand miles. It was leased, so I let it go back, but my friend bought it, and has had the continuing problem. Having owned 8 Explorers, most of them being excellent vehicles, in my opinion, once you get one with a bad transmission, you may as well get rid of it, they seem to be cursed with no long term remedy. I've had two of them, an 04, and an 06.
  • msmyers73msmyers73 Member Posts: 2
    OK, let me preface this with I have 232,000 miles on my Explorer and no complaints or problems (knock on wood). That said, starting a few days ago when I disengage the cruise or let off the gas at over 40 mph it makes a whining sound almost like a gear spinning or turbocharger sounds. If I tap the accelerator it stops. Know it has to be in the transmission or torque converter. Any thougths?
    My only thought is, if you have 223,000 on it, it has served you very well. Sounds like my first Explorer, 1994, and my best one. Went 150,000 miles with only one problem. Eventually the shift motor for the 4WD went out.

But I digress.....
  • msmyers73msmyers73 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks nvbanker! Good info and it is a fix I may attemptmyself. Appears pretty straight forward and I have been playing with cars all my life. You were a great help!
  • miss_nikkimiss_nikki Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone! I hope everybody's doing great!

Can anyone tell me how i can check the transmission fluid pressure on a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT?
    I just found out how complicated it is to put the trani fluid in to this car, so i would like to check the pressure first =)
    I think the fluid is low, but I'm not 100% sure...

It would be great if somebody could help me, thank you!
  • windcatcher066windcatcher066 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2011
    Miss Niki,

I think you want to check your fluid level? To do this make sure the vehicle is level and at operating temp. . On the transmission pan is a large hex with a smaller plug(may be allen or torx head)inside. Remove the inner plug and fluid should drip out. If it does not add the correct fluid until it does. (refer to manual, I believe its MerconV). To add fluid you will need something to force the fluid against the forces of gravity and through that small hole. This would be beneficial to do this because at this point you can add fluid. To check the pressure you would need an expensive pressure gauge(which you will probably never use again) and be unplugging and plugging an area that might leak, and you can not add fluid at this location. A pressure reading may indicate an extremely low level, but not necessarily the correct operating level.
  • windcatcher066windcatcher066 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Mercury Mountaineer which the fuel gauge intermittently reads empty. It is a 4.0 flex fuel model. I have read posts about 2002 models needing wiring kits or flex fuel modules to correct this. Anybody know where to start on this model?
    More likely, it's your fuel pump, which has an attached float and provides voltage to the guage. Sometimes, whey they age, the float sticks. More often, they stick up and read full, but it's also possible the float has a leak in it and won't float all the time, and sinks to the bottom. This happens on virtually all cars, by the way, not just these. I'd start with replacing the fuel pump. If you're going to do it yourself, I think you have to drop the tank, and if so, make sure it's empty as possible! They're very heavy full. Good luck.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "...intermittently reads empty..."

An open fuel guage sensor would indicate a full, OVER full, tank. A short, less than 30 ohms, would read empty. A "sunk" fuel sensor due to a leaking float would also indicate empty but would not likely be an intermittent situation.

So the most likely cause is a short, to the chasis, in the wiring between the top of the fuel tank and the instrument.
  • drwofforddrwofford Member Posts: 2
    My explorer is doing some really weird things... I hope someone can help! When I first start it, it will rev up to almost the red sometimes it dies sometimes not. When I put it in gear it 'jerks' really hard almost feels like I hit something. When driving it shifts real hard in 1st and 2nd. Another thing, when first driving after it has set overnight or for a few hours, it does this thing like if you were to pump the accelerator while driving... bounces very annoying!!
    Please does anyone know what the heck is going on? Is it just a piece and I should count my losses and look for something else or can it be fixed? Thanks so much!!
    If it does it consistently, so you can demostrate it to the shop, it should be fixable, and possibly pretty cheaply. Some component is failing and causing this to happen. It may be easy. I'd give it a try, for sure.

The hard ones to fix are the ones that rarely do it, and NEVER do it within 1000 feet of the mechanic....
  • drwofforddrwofford Member Posts: 2
    Thank you. Im def gonna take it somewhere to have someone look at it! Its just soo annoying!!
  • hupomenohupomeno Member Posts: 1
    2006 Ford Explorer 4.0L. The transmission seems to not shift between 2nd and 3rd for a few minutes. It will drive fine for a while, then it does the slip again and the rpm increases when I give it gas. I wait a few minutes and it drives fine again. It is intermittent. Also, when this happens, the temp gauge will shoot to the top and after about 2 to 5 seconds, come back down to normal. A diagnostic showed a mis-fire on #3 spark plug. I changed the coil pack and plugs 1, 2, & 3. It is still doing this.

I believe it to be a bad sensor maybe or governor. Thoughts?
  • redlassredlass Member Posts: 2
    Greetings,

We had our 2003 Explorer's transmission go out on us, and had a local shop replace it with a rebuilt transmission. Two weeks after the repairs we find that the "new" transmission is slipping and the O/D light is flashing. We took it back to the shop, who indicated a day later, that the computer needs some time to adjust to the repairs. This sounds odd to me . . . not knowing much about this, I thought I would see what your thoughts are.

Thanks,
    RedLass
    I'm calling BS on that one. I suspect your shop put in a "salvaged" transmission from a wrecking yard, and it's faulty as well as your old transmission. The slipping and
    OD flashing light indicate imminent failure. They owe you another transmission. The computer has nothing to do with this problem. Especially the slipping!!!! That mechanic should be closed down by the Bunko Cops. They are crooks. Go get your money back - you've been frauded, and take it to a more reputable shop. Don't trust these guys!

In short the one they put in, is as bad as the one they took out, IF in fact, they even replaced it to begin with! :mad:
  • acunningham1acunningham1 Member Posts: 13
    I agree with nvbanker. I have a 2005 Ford Explorer XP and I purchased brand new. My transmission went out at 42,000 miles and the OD light was flashing and gears slipping. I was even given the defective parts. My SUV was out of warranty and Ford would not take any responsiblity even though I have read about many problems with their transmissions during this period. I had to take mine to an independent and they replaced it with a rebuilt transmission. I now have 91,000 miles and have had no problems. They never told me anything about the computer needing to adjust. Sounds like there was a problem with the "new" transmission they put in your SUV. Hopefully they gave you some type of limited warranty.
  • redlassredlass Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to both of you for your response/advice. I do show a 12- month/12,000 mile warranty in the paperwork, so they have offered to take the transmission back out and put it in again, but sounds silly if the "new" transmission is bad. I think I'll dispute the charge on my card and see what happens with that move. Live and learn. . .
    If you were to disconnect the 12 volt battery for 10-15 minutes the engine/transmission control(ling) ECU would reload the factory default control parameters and it might take 100-200 miles before the transmission returns to "normal" operation.

Anyone swapping out a transmisison is likely to be aware of the need to do this.

You want to have the ECU "re-learn" the correct control parameters for the "new" transmission. On the other hand the question arises as to whether or not the "new" transmission is fully compatable with the revision level of the ECU firmware.
    (St,d)ealers have a perfect right to question the causative factor(s) for pre-mature failures of drive line components with a vehicle that can be so easily miss-configured, locked center diff'l on a tractive surface, for actual roadway conditions.

I find myself continually amazed reading some of the posts here indicating a poor knowledge of/about the use of adverse condition drive systems.

There is NO system that can endure use, actual engaged use, on a tractive roadbed for very long, or accumulatively.
  • steener62steener62 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 96 explorer, on my way back from wanachee, my gears were slipping , i could stop put it in park then a minute put it back into drive and the gears would engage and could drive a few more miles before doing the same thing again, this accured 2 or three time got to a 7-11 check the tranny fluid and it was fine got back on the road and at a light the tranny was slipping and tryed putting in park with some rough grinding noise it did go into park putting back into park it wouldn't ingage..so i towed it home...explaining to a transmission shop they were indicating it sounded more like a transfer case issue.so i pulled and took to them, a week and they still haven't checked it ..i picked it up and took to a salvage yard to just get another one, explaining to the salvage yard the issues they were telling me it really sounds more of a transmission problem, not a transfer case..so now my question on here is this sound more like a tranny issue??? can any one help!!!
  • acunningham1acunningham1 Member Posts: 13
    As a consumer and not mechanically inclined as many, when I take my vehicle for repair and spend $2500 on a rebuilt transmission or any type of repair, I expect for it to be fixed. If it is not, then it is the responsibility of the mechanic, not the consumer, to rectify the problem. Unless this information is given to the consumer, they may be unaware of the need to disconnect the battery nor should they have to perform this procedure. I would take it back to the mechanic for a thorough check. Especially since the rebuilt transmission is under warranty.
  • dwood13dwood13 Member Posts: 3
    My 2006 Explorer has only 45000 miles on it and I have trouble from day one with
    a jackrabbity throttle and when you step on the gas going up a hill or just speeding
    up it sounds like the transmission is going to fall on the ground. I have had it in
    a number of times, and the dealer can't seem to find anything wrong with it. Any
    suggestions. D. Wood
  • panadol500panadol500 Member Posts: 1
    i have the same problem ? did you fix it ? and how what was the problem i get tired
    A simple tightening, external adjustment, of the 2 bands within the transmission would have likely resolved the issue.

Transfer cases do not "slip", you are either "free-wheeling", in transfer case "neutral", or locked into 4WD or 4X4 mode.
  • steener62steener62 Member Posts: 2
    thank you for responding wwest, i have taken the transfer case off and started with the tranny but it is still attached, i don't understand about the 2 bands that i could adjust , would they tell me this in the haynes repair manual that i have? believe me if it might be a easy fix would much better than dropping the tranny out....
    I can't imagine a repair manual that doesn't show these band, brake band type adjustments, you'll just have to look. The one's on my '94 AWD Aerostar are on the driver side of the transmission and locked into position with heavy duty locking nuts.
  • dwood13dwood13 Member Posts: 3
    It goes into the shop today....hope they can solve the problem
    dwood13
  • goody5338goody5338 Member Posts: 2
    my 98 ford explorer 4x4 is making a knocking noise toward the back of the trans when in neutral and when i pull off it feels like a gear is missing a tooth. could this be the trans problem or is it the transfer case?
  • brick25brick25 Member Posts: 1
    Transmission shifts from 1st to third and OD light flashes when warm. The other day got in and the light was off and it was shifting into 2nd gear. I was told by a reputable shop that 2nd gear was gone and should replace the trans. I looked through all the posts and didn't see any similar issues so I thought I would post and ask for help.
  • annwarrenannwarren Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE A 2004 FORD EXPLORER. IT HAS 109K MILES.MY 4X4 HIGH LIGHT COMES ON AND SOMETIMES WHEN I TURN RIGHT MY 4 WHEEL DRIVE BANGS IN. THIS ONLY HAPPENS WHEN I TURN RIGHT. MY ABS LIGHT USUALLY COMES ON FIRST, BUT, NOT ALWAYS. THE 4X4 HIGH LIGHT WILL BE FLASHING. SOMETIMES IT GOES OFF WHEN I CLICK 4X4 AUTO NUMEROUS TIME. ANY SUGGESTIONS AND DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANK YOU ALL, SLAMMIN IN 4
  • danmcgdanmcg Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport with over 180,000 miles. I recently had it in the shop for a tune up and replacement of the intake gaskets (Check engine light was on). Now, the engine sounds like a diesel truck at idle that is worse when I first start the truck and sometimes eases up after driving it for awhile. At other times, the noise remains. In addition, the transmission sometimes gets stuck in 1st gear. Turning the truck off and then back on usually takes care of that. Does it sound like these two issues could be related? I don’t know whether I should take it to the transmission shop or my regular repair shop or if it is even worth putting more money into this truck. Thank you for any advice you can offer.
  • mrjames84mrjames84 Member Posts: 1
    My explorer would not stay on unless my foot was on the gas, leading me to believe there was a fuel issue. The car cut off at a red light so I waited until it changed to turn it back on. I had my feet on the gas and brake as I shifted to drive. Once I took my foot off of the brake the car jerked and would not move. But now it woupd remain on without a problem, just would not drive or reverse. The car knows which gear it is in because I can push it if it is in neutral, and remains still if in park. Can someone please tell me what component(s) can be related to cause both of these issues and how I should proceed... Thank You
  • cwaller1963cwaller1963 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 explorer 4wd with a 4.0efi in it and I have a 2000 explorer 4wd with a 4.0L. The trans on the 2000 went out and the transfer case on the 97 is bad so I want to put the 97 trans in the 2000 but was told by a friend that they wont swap-out. He said they changed something in 1999 and they wont work. Is this true?
  • hoytguyhoytguy Member Posts: 5
    I have a 1997 explorer 4wd, 4.0l,
    When Im driving down the road, I get a noise like a clunck and I feel it as well,
    the tranny shifts ok, no rpm spikes like slippage, it goes into 4x4 ok, but I keep hearing and feeling the tranny or t-case cluncking like something is binding or snapping, you can hear it good , some times it does it every 15 seconds.
    I took it to a tranny shop and they hooked up their snap on tool and drove it, no codes and I was told it was the t-case, like the clutch pack in t-case and gave me a estimate of $950.00 to over haul it.
    So I went and got a different t-case and replaced it, took it for a test drive and it was fine until I got about a mile from my house and it did it again, but it isnt as bad as before.
    I have no idea what could be causing it.
    I plan on taking the front drive line off to see if changes.
    Any ideas, like I siad, tranny shifts just fine no codes and no flashing o/d light.
  • cfsdircfsdir Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 08 explorer - can you tell me the TSB?

Rich

cfsdir@aol.com
  • goody5338goody5338 Member Posts: 2
    do i have to change the wiring harness to convert my 98 ford explorer to automatic
    edited June 2012
    Is there a sensor on the tranny like the output shaft sensor or O/D drum sensor that can cause this problem sending a bad signal ??
    wow, this seems like a dead end forum...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try Answers - different group of folks hang out over there including some active and retired techs. Same member name and password as here works over there.
    I replaced the transfer case and it took care of the problem , I want to thanks myself for answering my own question since no one else could or would on ether forums.

cfsdir , if your`s is doing the same thing mine was doing, you will need to replace the transfer case or have it rebuilt.
  • originsorigins Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking about buying a 2008 Explorer. However, after reading about the transimmison, problems that this and prior years Explorers have had, I am worried about buying one.

I wonder if a transmisson recall, or just a better designed unit for this year, has made for a more reliable transmission?
    Buy a RWD only Explorer and not to worry. Or if it be 4WD or even 4X4 then NEVER have those modes enabled except on PURELY slippery surfaces nor once at reasonable roadspeeds.

Not pointing fingers but there are many vehicles in the market today with "automatic" AWD/4WD systems, mostly "base" FWD vehicles, that add to the confusion factors since there is no driver knowledge required of their operation.

Leaving an Explorer 4WD system engaged on even an intermittently tractive roadbed can quickly shorten the life of the driveline components.
    I ditto what wwest said above - (unusual for me :blush: ). Having owned a bevy of Explorers from 94 to 12, I'm a pretty good knowledge base on them, and can tell you, if they have a recurring weakness, it's the transmissions from 02-10. The engines are bullet proof, all of them and the rest of the trucks are tough as nails, reliable and best designed. Ford has usually pioneered the best designs for wagons and trucks. But for some reason, that damn French transmission for these years has been a problematic unit. Some of them are fine, some are not, and if they're not, they are never any good. So, best of luck! I love the trucks, obviously, but it's a gamble on the transmission if it's out of warranty.