Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Power Window Problems

bambewbambew Member Posts: 43
edited October 2018 in Hyundai
For some reason on my 2007 SF 3.3L AWD, the RHS windows go up quicker than the LHS. It's about a 3 second lag.

Anyone else experience the same?

Bambew

Comments

• drwoodrdrwoodr Member Posts: 88
    Are you putting both up at the same time, or one at a time and timing the difference? on a 12V DC circuit, the current decreases with line distance, and the power to the motor is the voltage times the current. So my guess is the wire run to the LHS is greater than to the RHS window. If you are trying to put both up at the same time, the current decreases to both motors. You will probably notice that each window goes up faster if you only operated one at a time.
  • bambewbambew Member Posts: 43
    I am putting both windows up at the same time. Initially, I thought that I wasn't activating each window at the same time. However after several times putting both windows up at the same time, it happens each and every time. Therefore it isn't finger trouble. The backs have the same issue!

I have never had a vehicle do this before.
  • gllundgllund Member Posts: 29
    There must be a problem with your windows as my windows go up at almost exactly the same speed.
    Gord
    I have also found that the drivers side window winds up very slowly in very cold weather... the remaining 3 windows do not do this...

Bambew...
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    i noticed the slow window thing - have to check again to see if it still does it. i think there was a complaint about this in another section - did anyone get a solution?
  • boeing1boeing1 Member Posts: 3
    i recently bought a 2007 santa fe when i got home i noticed the driver door window went up slow and was binding when it was almost up i took it back to the dealer and it just needed grease on the linkage ... it works much better now
  • jim3214jim3214 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone had problems with the front power windows squeaking loudly as they go up or down?. The dealer replaced the window channels around the glass, but I can tell the squeak is coming back by the next day.
  • kjk411kjk411 Member Posts: 6
    Yes. I have a 2007 SF and the front driver's side window squeaks very
    loudly when going up or down. Have an appt on Thursday to have this
    checked out. On the phone the service advisor told me that he may be
    able to lubricate the mechanism in the door. We'll see....
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    this may be the wrong place to put this but I walked into the garage to find the windshield seal loose and detached at the bottom driver side corner - anyone have this problem? and the driver side outside window weather stripping seems to be improperly installed....
  • bbear2002bbear2002 Member Posts: 3
    This is a known problem with Santa Fe's. The window regulator causes the window to squeak. Get the dealer to replace it with a new one asap and don't let them talk you into lubricating parts as that is only a temporary solution.
    Window regulator huh? Yeah, I took my ' 07 SF to the dealer and told them that the drivers window is very slow to go up... They 'lubricated' the sliders (or something to that effect), and although the window does now go up quicker, there is still an occasional squeek... :(
  • roudy1roudy1 Member Posts: 36
    I would definitely say window regulator. I had a squeaking window a couple of months after I bought my '07 SF last year. I mentioned it to my Service Manager and asked him about lubrication and he said they have had problems with some window regulators. They replaced it and it's been squeak free for over a year now.
    Thanks for the info roudy.... I will have the widow regulator replaced.

John.
  • roriquerorique Member Posts: 4
    I've got a 2001 Santa Fe. When the ignition is turned on the drivers side window sometimes goes down without pushing the button. It won't readily come up without fooling with the button for a while. You can hear the window motor making noise. The problem is intermittent. Need help troubleshooting.
    rorique...

The first thing you should try is replacing the switch.

John.
    Thanks John.

I kinda figured the switch. I'm an old school wrench bender (back on the points and rotor days). I didn't know if there was some sort of "chip" I needed to know about. I'm glad some things don't change.

Rorique
    Rorique...

You mentioned that you could hear the window winder motor making some noise... Was the window not moving at any time that the motor was energized?

John.
    Hey John.

At first the window didn't move. I noticed the "Window Lock" button was compressed. So I pressed it to release it and the window operated as normal. I then tried to duplicate the failure by locking the windows and unlocking the windows, and the window worked as advertised. And yes I could hear something trying to work while it was stuck, a clicking sound. I first thought the regulator was shot but low and behold the window started functioning.

It seems to be an intermittent problem. So I figured I'd let it go until something failed completely so it would be easier to troubleshoot. So far it works but I don't know for how long. It was making some pretty strange noises. Even with the window up it sounded like it was trying to do something. That's when I came here to see if anyone has run across this before.

My first thought was the switch. But I've been out of the loop for a long time, and a lot of things are more electronic than mechanical. So I figured I'd give this forum a shot to point me in the right direction.

Thanks man, I appreciate the help. :-)

Rorique
    Hey there Rorique...

The 'Window Lock' button only locks out the passenger windows and not the drivers window. At least that's the way it is set up on my '07. So unless yours is set up to 'lock out' the drivers window also, deactivating the 'window lock' would have had no affect on your drivers window. There would be no point to a 'lockable' drivers window...

Just like you, I am a 'Points & Rotor' kinda guy... All this high-tech compuletrics (geeze, I just invented a new word... :shades: ) is beyond my knowledge. The 'Backyard Mechanic' is obsolete these days eh. Cars have evolved into such sophisticated machines that the 'novice' grease monkey can no longer completely maintain them.

Your problem may be a tad more complicated than just a switch failure, but IMO, a switch swap would be my first attempt at solving the problem.

John.
    Hi John,

Good word! Compulectrics, I'll pass it on to the other old school wrench benders! The ones I know would get a kick out of it! :)

I'm going to wait for complete failure, so I'll know for sure which component is causing all the problems. Right now it's working fine, but we'll see for how long. ;) I'm pretty sure you're right though. Everything about it points to the switch. No telling when, but I'll post the results upon completion.

Thanks.
    Rorique
    Hey Rorique...

:shades:

Cheers...

John.
  • dssat10dssat10 Member Posts: 1
    could any one tell me what fuse in fuse box goes to the power window for 2001
    santa fe . could not locate . (not mark ?)
  • justjenn4nowjustjenn4now Member Posts: 2
    My pax window is off track and will only go up 1/2 to 3/4 way then slow to a stop. It's not the motor and can see it needs to come in and is getting caught. Any suggestions? Can I take the inner panal off and see the problem?
  • kybarbkybarb Member Posts: 1
    My driver's side power window on my 2002 Santa Fe just broke. The window glass is intact but seems to be off track and will not close completely as it is crooked when I try to raise it up. Obviously I have to take it in to be fixed but I was wondering what the cost estimate for this kind of problem is and anything else I need to know before taking it to the dealer. Also has anyone else had this problem with a Santa Fe or other Hyundai?
  • kali145kali145 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    Anyone know what could be causing this problem. The power windows in the rear (both sides) go up and down using the controls on the respective doors but not if I use the driver's controls. The driver's control will only operate the driver's window and it will put up the rear passenger window (but won't put it down). The front passenger window doesn't operate at all using any of the controls. Too strange.

A garage told us it was probably a motor but if it was why would some of the windows go up and down with the door control but not work with the driver control.
  • kayzeekayzee Member Posts: 3
    They used to squeak when going up and down and then all of a sudden they would get stuck and not go up and down anymore and when they'd get stuck they would be off kilter. I haven't gotten them fixed yet because I'm waiting for a recall on this problem since others have reported this problem frequently. Anyone know if there is a recall yet? Thanks
  • terry133terry133 Member Posts: 1
    near side window doesnt work, the isolation switch doesnt work either. we have changed the motor and wiring loom, we have feed for the uppart but cant find a feed for going down, we think it might be the white wire, can anyone assist with this problem please.
  • athorngrenathorngren Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Santa Fe. Both of my driver's side windows suddenly stopped working yesterday. The door did not get wet in any way. The driver's panel will roll down both of the passenger's side windows, just not driver's side. Also, the back DS window won't open with the button on that door. I found a fuse diagram online, but it doesn't show a fuse for the power windows. Please help!
  • kayzeekayzee Member Posts: 3
    All years of this model appear to have this problem. Mine is a 2002 and the lift arms for the automatic windows seem to die out and need to be replaced. Unfortunately, this is not a cheap repair. I have had a number of various expensive things happen on the Santa Fe. I do still own it only because it's paid off and I can't get anyone to want to buy it. It's been a real pain to deal with. I've also had problems with electrical, rack and pinion steering going out, etc. Also had to replace some very expensive air sensors that were more than $200 a piece; they caused the car to drive with some very severe jerking. This has not been a user friendly vehicle at all. The only thing really good about it has been the motor so far...knock on wood.
  • gaucho100kgaucho100k Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Santa Fe and suffer from the intense Windows Squeak problem. It is clear that I need to have the window regulator replaced. Does someone have a part number for this window regulator..? I live in Argentina and don't know if the Spanish name for this part is "regulador de ventana" as many times car parts don't translate directly or literally.... if someone has a parts number handy this would be greatly appreciated.

Also, are windows regulators side specific (different part for each side) or are they all the same.... BTW, my squeaker problem is on the drivers side.

many thanks,
    Alex
  • JfdunneJfdunne Member Posts: 2
    2009 santa fe drivers window slow going up. I just changed the entire bank of switches for the windows for other reasons. Slow drivers window still slow. I'll purchase a new regulator, lube this one until then and let you know how that works
  • EdG06EdG06 Member Posts: 1
    2007 Santa Fe. has anyone had this issue, my driver's side front and back windows will not go up and down but the passengers side goes up and down with no issues, I tried locking and unlocking switch and still both windows on drivers side still don't work.