Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Jeep Wrangler

13»

Comments

• matt1320matt1320 Member Posts: 20
    Has anyone heard of any revisions for the 2009 Jeep Wrangler/Unlimited? Any unofficially official announcements, rumor, gossip, or BS will satisfy my curiosity. Muchas Gracias.
  • greengirl4jgreengirl4j Member Posts: 29
    No.. but I have been checking for months since the dealership messed up my order...I ordered the 4 door, 6 speed tranny, Wrangler Sahara Unlimited fully loaded, dual top, nav, etc...after waiting for 4 months, the wrong jeep came in and then I heard about of all the leaks, rust, engine issues, etc.. and as gas prices went to $4, I gave up! Anyway, I have been researching revisions for 2009 but all I hear is that Chrysler is going under and poor quality will continue to be inevitable until another maker takes over completely! :sick:
  • panzerpanzer Member Posts: 125
    Not many changes. None that would distinguish an 09 from and 08 except color. The main one is that the chrysler sunburst orange color is available and another color is no longer available, can't remember which one, maybe graystone. Also, the power windows and security system option is now standard on the Sahara. I found this out on a jeep geek website I found by searching for 09 changes over a month ago. I saw a bunch of 09's being unloaded off trains at the depot north of Denver two days ago, so I would expect they will be at dealers within the week. How could I tell they were O9's you ask? There were a few orange ones.
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    The power windows, remote door locks were standard on the 2008 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4 door, along with the Sirius Radio and the upgraded sound system and much more.

Norm
  • matt1320matt1320 Member Posts: 20
    Since I am a geek, what is the Jeep geek website that you referred to? And, much to my disappointment, no mention of a diesel engine option. Once again Chrysler seems to offer gimmicks instead of substance, new paint colors don't make me want to incur a car payment. Hopefully Jeep will post the new models on their website soon.
  • ross16ross16 Member Posts: 5
    I was informed that the "Water Doctor" fixed the leak in my Freedom Top a few weeks ago. I was driving this past weekend and it seemed like Niagara Falls in my jeep. Well it is off for round 2 at the dealer. I am convinced I have one of those vehicles that will never be fixed. Luckily in my state it is only three unresolved trips to the dealer to qualify for the Lemon Law.
    I have mixed feelings about this as the Wrangler is an absolute gas to drive.
  • greengirl4jgreengirl4j Member Posts: 29
    But a very expensive gas! I gave up on my purchase of a Wrangler after my order came in wrong, gas prices sky rocketed and I heard that LEAKS R US for Wranglers...drive rocked especially the tight turning radius but not worth the issues!!!!! :lemon:
  • stu9stu9 Member Posts: 4
    I read in the latest Australian Buyers Guide in the 4WD & SUV magazine says "Wrangler was rated the worst car overall", in the US magazine customer reports 2008-Owner Survey. So the facts seem to speak for themselves.
    Anyway, I have worked out Chrysler Jeep's translation of the words Freedom Top, it means "the freedom for water to pour into your vehicle from any angle".
    Given the current economical dilemma, one would think that the American automakers would strive to build a consumer-satisfying product. But then again; maybe not.

Bookitty (Norman)
  • candycandy Member Posts: 4
    i have a 2008 jeep wrangler and when i wash my vehicle and go to get in water pours right into my vehicle and onto my carpets! Or if it's snowing and i park in my garage, i go to get in the next time and the same thing happens over and over again. I went to chrysler and they told me it's a design flaw. Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this? I don't want my carpets to wreck or my jeep to rust.
  • lorianddavelorianddave Member Posts: 1
    5500 miles on Wrangler X. This is the third time the car has shown the check engine light and traction control light after flooring the car to pass. The dealer said the first time was a bad sensor, the second time a bad wiring harness. Going in for the third try. Anyone else have this problem? A solution?
  • mountainpupmountainpup Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with the Freedom Top. I have had nothing but problems with the top leaking and it has been to the dealership 8 times and it is still not fixed! My leak is by the tailgate area and it has started to rust the floor boards, the carpet is moldy, my jack rusted through and the jack even froze solid in the jack compartment over the winter. Everytime that I have taken it back they tell me that they think they have it fixed this time. WRONG! I started a case with Chrysler Customer Service back in March and I am still getting jerked around. No one from Chrysler cares to call me or send me any paperwork about my complaint. In my state 4 repeat attempts to fix is the amount needed for a lemon law. Has anyone been successful in getting a buy back from Chrysler and if so what did you experiece? What was the process? Aside from this problem I am absolutely in love with my Wrangler and I would like to do a swap out for a new Wrangler, but with all of the poor service and the jerking around I may change my mind. :lemon:
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    I just picked up the latest consumer report mag, and in there the Jeep Wrangler got the worst possible score of All SUV's in its class. out of a score of 100 it score 17. reliability was its main issue, along with customer satisfaction.. I was looking at wranglers 2 days before reading this consumer reports. im so glad i read that! Thats the last thing i need is to visit my dealer every other weekend.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Wrangler is such a unique class of vehicle, I always had trouble comparing it to something like a Blazer or Explorer. I have to wonder if some of the dings have to do with people expecting the CJ Wrangler to be more of a passenger car instead of an offroading utility rig. Lots of SUVs sure look like big wagons to me.

It's a Jeep thang....
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I have to wonder if some of the dings have to do with people expecting the CJ Wrangler to be more of a passenger car instead of an offroading utility rig.

I agree, although there are two problems with current models that Chrysler seem to have found to be insoluble/not worth bothering with (take your pick).

The first is the water leak issue that most of the hardtops suffer with.
    Second is uncontrollable steering oscillation, often referred to as 'death wobble', that seems to be appearing with increasing frequency on later models in standard configuration.
    It's a phenomenon that's known on earlier models ('06 and back), but usually only in combination with worn joints, larger tires, and a suspension lift.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,341
    My 1999 Sahara has had a few issues, but nothing that couldn't be fixed with a little patience and a few dollars. That said, I'm never selling it.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• dhoudekdhoudek Member Posts: 2
    i can't start my jeep and i am out of ideas.
    -fuses all are good
    -battery is good, radio lights all work
    -once i turn the key to "crank" i get nothing
    -touched the "posts" on the starter and i get sparks

am i missing checking something?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Got gas?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • dhoudekdhoudek Member Posts: 2
    yes i got gas..
    i can turn the battery on and my gas gadge goes up to show half a tank
    Assuming it's an '08 it should still be under warranty; let the dealer take care of it.
  • sunnydays91sunnydays91 Member Posts: 1
    This thing starts when it wants to...yes I have gas and have had it to the dealer now this is the 5th time. They keep telling me it starts every time for them. I deliver mail and NEED this vehicle. Please help if you know anything about this
  • edf4edf4 Member Posts: 65
    Well that is no surprise, as the Jeep is not an SUV: it is a Jeep! Whenever a Jeep is compared to other vehicles, it always scores low, because it is not like other vehicles. It is slow, it does not have leather, it has a high center of gravity, it doesn't corner well, it is louder than a car on the highway, and it does not get great gas mileage, BUT, it is unique. The Jeep is the ONLY four door convertible sold in the USA, it is the ONLY vehicle currently for sale in which the doors can be removed (and should for summer driving), it is outstanding, even when stock, in off road conditions (other than deep mud), can be highly personalized with an endless array of aftermarket accessories for hard core off road use or poser mall cruisers. It is still available with a manual transmission, crank windows and manual door locks for those who like pure and simple vehicles. Most importantly, in my experience, 90% of Jeep owners LOVE their Jeep and keep them forever and/or buy more than one.

It is unfortunate for those few who have purchased Jeeps with problems and I truly hope Chrysler does the right thing and remedies your issue: it is not only the right thing to do, it is good business. The fact that they have not yet done so, says a lot about why they are in the trouble they are in. The majority of Jeeps sold however, are as trouble free as any other top make, I have an early 2007 Unlimited X, 6 speed, 4x4, dual tops, 24S package, and have enjoyed (knock-on-wood) over 34,000 trouble free miles of mixed local, highway and moderate off road use. I know five other people with an '07+ Unlimited in various model designations and none have reported any problems with the hard top or anything else. I love my Jeep and recommend it to everyone who asks about it. I would rate it a 99 out of 100 if CR were to ask me, taking off a point for Chrysler not offering a 33" tire option.
  • corbinmancorbinman Member Posts: 1
    I have the second problem and am being told it's a "known" problem by the dealer, but it isn't fixing the problem. It's going in tomorrow, again.

No leaks though...I have the 3 piece "freedom" top.

I read about bad mileage but I'm getting a solid 22 to 23 MPG, although most of my driving is highway and I do keep it under 70. I get great mileage on roads where the speed limit is 40 to 45 MPH. I have the 6 speed and it seems that with the V6 you can put it in overdrive at a lower speed than you could with the straight 6.

Other than the "death wobble" I'm pretty happy with the Jeep....it's my fourth one and I have to say that the best one I had was a 2000 Sahara.
  • shesforelieshesforelie Member Posts: 1
    my right hand jeep is giving me the same problem, i contacted a lawyer for the lemon law, it didn't start for them, the mechanic was under the jeep at the time that it would not start, he change a part on it, i pick it up this morning for my route, and sure enough it would not start on me a fee times. I contacted a lawyer, im sending him all the information. lets see whats happens. your mail carrier. can i please use your message for my case. thanks, your neighborly mail carrier
  • rondizzliciousrondizzlicious Member Posts: 1
    Did u ever figure out how to stop that annoying throttle light from turning on? I bought a 2008 Jeep wrangler X unlimited 4x4 and am having the same problem... Dealership says theres nothing they can do since the light never turns on when im there. When it does turn on, im in another town!!! I live about an hour and change away from the dealership where i bought this thing. Not exacly a drive around the corner. So when my light turns on, i just cant drive all the way over there going 55 mph! It would take close to 2 hrs!!! Please let me know if you figured it out!
  • 1marcello31marcello3 Member Posts: 3
    I have had the Jeep in the shop ever since. Finally, the service department got on the phone with a Chrysler Tech and got it fixed. Soon after I traded it in, so I cannot comment on its current condition.
    Following are the notes from the dealer as posted on the Jeepforum site.

I have an 08 Unlimited X purchased brand new. 500 miles in it stalled - the ETC light coming on. Troubleshot the problem following the manual instructions. Light came back on a few minutes later and for the following year. Anyways, the Jeep has been in the shop approx 25 days, in the following 18,000 miles.
    Last week, it was finally fixed.
    I am posting the Technician's notes, but here is what I recommend;
    First, find a 5 star service department. They will do their utmost to fix your problem especially if it is reoccurring. Second, print out all the information you can find on the web regarding the same problem, and bring it to the Technician. Did that, and here are the Tech's notes from the last time:

"P2127 App Sen. 2 ckt low, ordered harness. 2.5 dia.
    PCM & Accel. pedal have been repl., wiring concern. Remove battery tray to inspect harness for chaffing, none found. Remove glovebox & dash right side panel to inspect harness for chaffing, none found. Call Star, hardwire ckts K400, K29, F856 around connector C105. DTC did not reoccur in expected time.
    Replace harness w/ female side of C105, repair hardwire splices on male side of C105 & reassemble. Clear away DTC’s from repair & drive vehicle. DTC did not reoccur in expected time frame."

hope this helps.
  • 1marcello31marcello3 Member Posts: 3
    also, it's worth mentioning that this problem may be an electrical connection issue. I think there are issues with getting a clean connection on one or more of the modules and/or the harness. on another site, someone added electrical grease to the connections and supposedly it took care of the problems.
    first few times the vehicle was in the shop, the technician replaced each module that was suspect as well as the harness. none of these fixed the problem which leads me to the connection conclusion
    the other reason I mention this is due to fact that when I picked up the Jeep the last time it was in the shop, all the electrical connections were mummified in electrical tape.
    for what it's worth
  • debpjlvrdebpjlvr Member Posts: 2
    I have 2008 Jeep Wranger Unlimited Sahara. A few months ago, when pumping gas it started spitting the gas out when the pump shut off. I took it to the dealer, and they needed to order parts. 6 weeks later the parts came in and they "fixed" it. After picking it up from the dealer I went straight to the gas station and filled up. It happened again, so I drove back to the dealer, only to be told that they need to replace my gas tank now, and that they are on "national' backorder. Has anyone had any issues like this?
  • tmastmas Member Posts: 8
    :confuse: I have an 08 Sahara 4x4 A/T and it drives fine except when starting. Is anybody else having the following problem? When starting out on road, as first gear changes to second gear under normal throttle, there's a thump or thud that is felt upon shift -somewhere in or near the transmission. It's in two wheel drive and doesn't happen every time, but often enough to cause concern. My Jeep has 19k miles on it.
  • jeephusbandjeephusband Member Posts: 4
    When we fill up our 2008 Jeep Wrangler with gas the pump shuts off and then gas flows out, ALOT, no matter what we do. When we explained this to the dealer they said it was "an operational characteristic of the Jeep". Also of note, this problem just began after about 18 months of owning it. We bought it new. Any one else heard of this?
    Happened to me two days ago for the first time. The pump nozzle actually jumped out and landed on the ground (no fuel came out) and a customer that was present told me that it happens to his Jeep Wrangler often. We are spending the summer in New Jersey and gas is dispensed by attendants. In Florida where we live, I don't have much problem with my Jeep (2008) Wrangler 4 door) but my wife's 1999 Wrangler likes to be fed slowly. Jeep Wrangler do have that tendency that the dealer described.

Norman
    When we explained this to the dealer they said it was "an operational characteristic of the Jeep". Also of note, this problem just began after about 18 months of owning it.

Wranglers have always been slow fillers. Mine still has three gallons to go when the pump first kicks off and the last two gallons really have to be dribbled in.

Nice demonstration of ignorance by the dealer in your case though.

The fuel tank breather has collapsed or become blocked.
    When you filled the tank for the first eighteen months, the air that the fuel displaced as it filled the tank was able to leave via the breather tube.

For some reason it can't now do that and the tank becomes pressurized as the fuel is pumped in. When you remove the nozzle the pressure is relieved by burping out some fuel and air.

Obviously you don't have to be very smart to get a job on the Service Desk these days. :(
    That's exactly what I thought, however, the only solution to the breather problem appears to be replacing the entire fuel tank and the chances are highly likely it will happen again. I have found alot of discussions, and videos, of this problem since I first posted so it's widespread unfortunately. We will try some different ways to avoid having gas spray out after a fill up. Thanks so much.
    Yes, I'm finding this is a widespread issue and even found videos of it happening on youtube, we are going to try the slower filling technique as well. Thanks
  • mikeya2112mikeya2112 Member Posts: 6
    I bought my 08 in October of 07 and this same issue just started about a month ago. I thought it might be the nozzle on the pump, but now I know it is not. At least now I can expect this to happen everytime I fill up unless I feel like spending the money to replace the tank, which is unlikely.

Thanks for the info!
    Chrysler is refusing to acknowledge this issue however there are other discussion forums that are trying to get people to send Chrysler feedback so they can fix this serious problem of gas spraying out when filling up. Crazy!
  • jeep7girljeep7girl Member Posts: 2
    My dealership keeps telling me they cannot replicate the problems I have experienced with my Jeep. I am so sick of this lemon I could scream. Have no fear my day is tomorrow. there is a Jeep Event at my dealership, I am asking for the district manager.......
    Jeep girl, since you have a computer why not show up at the event with signs telling the prospective buyers how your Wrangler leaks and the poor and/or lip service you have received. Use a large (72 point) font and print your signs in landscape mode. I have the rag top, but have heard from numerous owners that the hard top is prone to leaking. There has been, I believe, some owners who have had success using sealants and tape products. Good luck.

Norman
    there is a Jeep Event at my dealership, I am asking for the district manager.......

I doubt that the district manager will be shocked to hear your story as I'm sure he's heard many similar ones before.
    From what I gather from your postings you have a leaking hardtop, 'death wobble', gas blowback from the fuel tank filler neck, and you're on your fifth transmission!

Your dealer has proved to be incompetent and incapable so why didn't you 'lemon' this long ago?
    I think the third transmission would have been my tipping point.
  • amanda00amanda00 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there,

I see this message is a few years old, but I am having the same problems with my '08 sahara unlimited. They have replaced all the seals so far and it still leaks. It appears to be coming in from the where the doors meet the windshield. It's been a few years, but does yours still leak? What did the Water Doctor do? I dont' have any of those near me :-(
    Thank you!
  • jr318jr318 Member Posts: 17
    Hey sorry to say i brought it back 15 times and they could not fix it Jeep would do nothing for me It leaked since day one and I mean leaked like a river across my dash board on to my floor boards.

What I did was traded it in! It was a lemon from day one

It happens so im told! Good luck
    Does the 2008 JK 3.8 cyl engine have a timing chain or a timing belt?

Thanks for your help
    ~Mike
    Hey gang,

Can anyone answer post #148...

Does the 2008 JK 3.8 cyl engine have a timing chain or a timing belt?

Thanks, Mike
    Check gates.com. They have a list of which cars have timing belts, and which are interference engines.
    If you live in or near DC and have had fuel spitback issues with your car, please email pr@edmunds.com before Monday, February 28, 2011 to be interviewed by a reporter. Please include your daytime contact information and the year, make and model of your car.
  • mgarviemgarvie Member Posts: 17
    Seems to be a common problem on Wranglers. I have a 2006 and it started doing it in 2010. Just have to listen carefully and stop just before it's full. Maybe our Jeeps are just spitting out that overpriced gas as a protest?
  • debpjlvrdebpjlvr Member Posts: 2
    My Jeep was still under warranty. They had to replace the gas tank and all the parts that went along with it.
    edited February 2011
    "In August, NHTSA opened an investigation into the problem in 2007 and 2008 Jeep Wranglers, which are the source of most of the complaints. In a Feb. 15 service bulletin – and reported by AutoObserver.com today – Chrysler said it will replace the gas tanks in certain 2007-2008 Jeep Wranglers to address the problem."

Jeep Fuel-Spillage Posts Draws Readers (AutoObserver)

Grab your VIN and check with your dealer to see if your Wrangler is covered.
  • zenacountrygalzenacountrygal Member Posts: 1
    I have been having the same issue. Can't figure out what's wrong with it.
  • explorgmexplorgm Member Posts: 1
    We have been arguing with Chrysler for the past two years about the fuel spit back issue. Our 2008 Wrangler is not being covered under the extended warranty even though others with the same make, model and year are. Seems that one letter in the sales number makes the difference. Possibly related to the time of year that the vehicle was built. It took them 8 years to finally cover our jeep under the clockspring recall and now the Takada air bag recall.