Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen GTI Audio and Entertaiment System Questions

casolorzcasolorz Member Posts: 88
edited July 2014 in Volkswagen
do any of the sedan/coupe VW have bluetooth?

Comments

• rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    If your VW has a Phone button you can add bluetooth. Quick connect products has a parrot Harness that allows just that. It uses a Parrot CK3000 Evolution kit and a special harness that transforms it into a factory like bluetooth system. It works pretty well from what I have heard. You won't need the CK3000 controller Just the harness and the main unit.
  • casolorzcasolorz Member Posts: 88
    Thanks for the reply. Will the phonebook work? callerid?
    Phone book is carrier dependant. Not sure on caller id but I think it displays it on the Multi Function Display. So it probably has caller id.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJDUYtr73dE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJl-kTNW-OM

Installation and overview on this system. Hope this helps.
    A new navigation system is coming out for the 2009 model year. It's called the RNS-510. Avaliable on 22nd calendar week. Has a 30 GB HDD and can store music. The HDD can store both music and GPS. A DVD map is included to install to the hard drive. It's avaliable in EU but the US version has US specific features like HD and Sirius Radio. For the current GTI it will bolt right it but the CD changer plug has to have 2 wires swapped to not cause distortion. Same applies for ipod. Supports bluetooth. European version has a premium bluetooth that has touch screen dialing. US version will probably use the phone button. Is compatible with the parrot CK3000 adaptor for vw. Might have to be programmed by a VAG-Com but a nice unit. Plays DVD's and a backup camera is possible. If you have that current nav system but want an enhanced version than this is your unit. There might be a new bluetooth module that isn't made by parrot also coming soon.

Already being made but no maps yet. Not even out but could come as soon as the tiguan comes out.

http://www.lutschi.biz/album/RNS510/

Some pics of the european version. US version is identical but with certain features.

enjoy!
    Still no maps for it. Some people already have the USA version. HD Radio is also being supported for this one. The CD changer tip is for those with the factory GPS and changer. May need to be programmed for certain audio systems. This cd ground and aux ground have to be swapped in order to have a working changer. Thats if you like the changer or have it. Same applies for iPod. The RNS-510 should be out later this year but it's already in production and some americans have it. The people who do have the USA version have no maps. Some people have gotten USA maps for it. Might as well wait for the official release. Otherwise it's a nice touch screen AV unit.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    The "complimentary" Sirius subcription is running out in my '08 GTI so I called them to renew ( I like the 80's and Hairnation :blush: ). They want $140 for a year! I have XM in my Acura and they only charge $75/year. Is there a special code I can use to get a discount as with XM? Any help would be appreciated.
    How about a lifetime subscription. For only 400 USD you get a lifetime subscription for that radio. Check it out at the sirius website.
    A new USB MDI adaptor is coming out. This will work with iPod's and other usb devices like thumbdrives. Is controlled by the CAN-BUS so it works with the steering wheel. Also it's integrated with the new RNS-510. More on this item later.
    Some people have posted some pics of the MDI. Only USB. iPod will also be avaliable soon. Even has Aux in support. Works with the RNS-510 and possibly other VW radios. CD changer could be connected alongside this new MDI unit. This is the new USB iPod adaptor.

The RNS-510 is coming out soon. Infact it supposedly is in the US ETKA parts database. Maps aren't out yet. Maybe May-July. Maybe later. The Maps for the current system do not work with it. The RNS-510 can transfer all the maps into the hard drive. You get 17.36 GB of space for music. 8 to 10 GB for the Maps. With the maps in the Hard drive then you don't need to have the DVD in the car. Takes forever to install them. 09s will have them preloaded.

Hope this helps.
    Kufatec.de now has the MDI but maybe not in stock. It's for the passat but it goes where the armrest cd changer goes. Apparently it won't work with the CD changer. But it does give you again full ipod, USB, and Aux support. iPod cable is sold seperately. The iPod cable is required for iPod integration. Can't use the iPod usb cable and the MDI USB cable. The ipod Cable has the proprietary MDI input and the dock interface. Should be compatible with your iPod. If it has a dock connector then it should work ok.

Again Don't buy the VW iPod adaptor. It's far inferior to this more expensive but better unit. Even those with the VW iPod unit should consider upgrading to this unit.

Only works on 3 head units so far. RNS-510, RCD-510, and RCD-310. RNS-510 is the new touch screen navigation unit that will debut with the Tiguan. RCD-510 is the RNS-510 but with no hard drive, DVD Movie support, and Sirius traffic support RNS-510. RCD-510 does have a cd changer and SD slot. It will be for those content with their garmin and other portable navs or those who don't want a nav system in their car.
  • speedjellospeedjello Member Posts: 2
    sorry, i am a complete idoit when it comes to car audio (among many other things). i would like to get the RCD-510 to replace the RCD-300 i have right now, but i have a few question in mind:
    1) is this a simple plug and play? i have read i need a couple new wires in order to make it sound normal?
    2) what about the ipod integration? my golf GT doesnt have any ipod connect at this point, if i want to connect my ipod to the RCD-510, what other acc. will i need?
    3) can RCD-510 plays video files on SD card? what format does it play?
    4) what is MDI?
    thanks for anyone who can answer my questions :)
    1. For the CD changer you would need swap 2 wires. Also you would need to get a set of antenna adaptors. RNS-510 would require the GPS antenna but thats easy. If your car comes with an amplifier then it requires some minor programming. RNS-510 has more documentation than the RCD-510.

2. The MDI is the new Media Interface. It works with USB, iPod, or Aux-in. Aux-in is just a headphone jack input. You can plug in just about anything with a cheap cable or lead as they call it in the UK. The MDI requires a harness the vendors that sell it include it. The harness is so that the unit can send data to the MFD aka MFI. The MFD is the dashboard display that shows information. If you get an MDI all you need is just an iPod lead. The MDI uses a special connector and you can get it when you buy it. Kufatec.de lets you pick it out. For iPod don't use the USB one since it doesn't work with iPod. Just get the iPod specific one. It should work with most new iPods.

3. No Video files on the SD card. The RNS-510 can play an external DiVX capable DVD player with another adaptor. However there are no video interfaces for the RCD-510. The RNS-510 however has that. It can play MP3 or WMA format on the SD card.

4. See answer 3 but again it's VW's new media interface. It replaces the iPod adaptor in Europe.

Hope this helps.
  • speedjellospeedjello Member Posts: 2
    thanks so much for the details, really appreciate it :)
  • mikeinsincitymikeinsincity Member Posts: 1
    Hey all, I just bought a 2008 GTI and love it...BUT the sound system sucks, especially radio and iPod. CD is ok. Anyway, what would someone recommend? I was thinking of getting an Amplifier or an Equalizer? Would Best Buy or another commercial retailer know what the hell they are doing? Should I take it back to VW and pay the outrageous prices? I just got rid of my 2001 Jetta and the sound was awesome. Thanks!!!!
  • sealbeachsealbeach Member Posts: 9
    Hi all, I have a 2007 MkV GTI with navigation and it comes with the phone button on the wheel. Where can we find and how can we actually install the bluetooth system and approximately how much it would cost?

Thanks a lot
    See post #2 :)
    Thats not the only kit. Startac has one thats for Skoda but works with the GTI. That kit is better but more expensive. Also requires some wiring and programming with VCDS aka VAG-com. It does have full integration. It uses the mute button for voice dialing. Has your usual features. Can voice tag contacts. VW is also planning an official kit with Nokia that can be installed on 06-08 models.
    So you could only use the bluetooth paired with a Nokia phone.....?
    Well it's a bluetooth kit made for any phone that supports it. Just about any phone with bluetooth should work.

There is a Premium rSAP kit that does what you are saying. That kit is much more expensive and is European only. Only Nokia GSM and BenQ siemens GSM phones with rSAP work with this kit.
    VW is working on a proper iPod adaptor. It's called the MDI or Media In. Supports USB, Aux and iPod. Comes with a USB cable but you need an iPod cable if you want iPod. Full integration of the iPod. Requires the RNS-510 in order to use it since it fully works with it. It can work with the RCD 510 as well which is like the RNS-510 but no navigation and some other features take off of it. The MDI unit needs a harness but there are some sellers selling it. So far the RNS-510 isn't out yet along with the maps. Can't use the maps from the current system in this unit. Maps are stored on the hard drive. Hope this helps.
    imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com
    imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

Shows the MDI and some cables. Also shows the ipod cable for it. Again it requires the RNS-510 which the dealers will offer a retrofit kit for it. Needs a harness or some wiring. The new MDI will finally offer a proper iPod solution. Hope this helps. iPod cable sold seperately. I'm sure there are people wanting a proper VW iPod solution.
    I hate too say this but if you want multi info display integration then you must get the Skoda kit at over 500 USD. You will need to get the wiring for it. Go to www.octavia-vrs.com and click on contact then it will give you the email needed to buy it. There is an installation manual there which has some parts that you will need to buy. A copy of VCDS 805 will also be needed to program the unit. Also the coding can be done at your local dealer.
    1K0 051 437

No more having to import a kit from Europe. Needs to have a phone button and the MFI but all GTI's have this. The unit has full integration and 09 models with navigation get even better touch screen capabilities. It integrates in the Information display and even has it's own method. Order this at your local dealer but it requires dealer installation. Can be done yourself but some extra tools are needed. VCDS will be needed to program it. Better to just have the dealer do it. Right in time for the California ban. Kit costs 300 USD.
    $300 plus installation, that's a little pricey. I just bought a Garmin Nuvi with BT built in for $350. It's not completely "hands free" but it's working nicely and I can transfer it to my other non-nav vehicle.
  • gman31rgman31r Member Posts: 1
    Hey Mike,

I just got a GTI 2008 and love it too, but the sound system really sucks. I paid an extra $325 for the premium sound and I think it's terrible. All midrange. also the radio reception is weak. Did you have any luck finding a solution out there?

Glenn
    Gman31r
    You can now purchase 1K0 051 437. It's in stock right now at worldimpex but your dealer can install this. No more having to buy a parrot kit or an expensive european kit. Your dealer can install and program it. The long awaited bluetooth kit is here.
    I feel this kit is going to be bad. Other than A2DP no MFI/MFD integration. Uses the phone button but just a simple kit that uses it's own voice recognition. A2DP is a bluetooth profile that streams audio from an A2DP compatible phone to the RNS-510/Premium 8. It does have hands free but the Skoda kit is expensive but has much better integration. Skoda kit has MFI/MFD integration. RNS-510 owners get touch screen info while the factory RNS-510 owners get the inferior kit. Skoda kit retails for 525 USD at octavia-vrs.com while the US kit is around 300 to 346 USD. Hope this helps.
    Does anyone know if the Sirius receiver built into the GTI supports Sirius a la carte? Much cheaper than the full service. Calls to sirius customer assistance not helpful. Thanks.
    The 2010 GTI will now have full iPod integration. It's available as a $300 addon. It's called the Media-In port. It comes with both USB and iPod cables so you don't need an iPod to enjoy it. 09's with nav need part number 000 051 446 C in order to have iPod integration. Don't use both the USB cable with the iPod cable or else it wont work. You must use the iPod cable when using the Media-In port's iPod feature. There will also be a new HU for 2010 that's touch screen but has no nav. You get a 6CD changer as well as an SD card. It can't play DVD movies though.
  • mules001mules001 Member Posts: 4
    Did you ever upgrade your sound system? I have the 07 GTI and agree that the system is lacking. Would like to know what others have done (and been happy with) to upgrade their system. Thanks.
  • magama52magama52 Member Posts: 1
    Connector on IPOD side broke.Best place to buy,if any other than dealer.Price of $40 and higher
    I found it online for under $40 if you search on the internet. Search for p/n 000 051 446 C but you won't find it much cheaper than the dealer though.
  • bfluegiebfluegie Member Posts: 21
    I posted this on the general GTI forum and didn't hear anything, so I thought I would try herel. I am in the market for a new MP3 player. My 08 GTI has an iPod adapter in the armrest. I was searching by player features, and I have seen a Sony player that seems to be a better buy than the iPod nano ($60 less for equivalent storage, similar other features). My question is, can you get the full functionality in browsing the folders of the player for anything other than the iPod? The Sony doesn't have a dock adapter, just the USB. Just wondering what works, and how others like their choices.
  • geosamgeosam Member Posts: 18
    Anyone have any comments on being able to play DVD movie in your Nav System?
    The brochure says it will play a dvd. Will it play while you are driving?

Thanks
    Yes but not while driving. Some people have purchased TV in motion adapters which allows you to play DVD's while driving but in some states it's illegal to use this device.
This discussion has been closed.