Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Fuel System/Fuel Pump

bbrillbbrill Member Posts: 5
Hello friends, I am new to this area, I ask for your understanding, as I dont know the " ropes " yet. my question is,,, what is the average life of the electric fuel pump, on a 00 malibu? I had one replaced at around 60,000 mi, a real spendy job at that,,, Thanks

Comments

• dutch724dutch724 Member Posts: 6
    It should last you at least to 200,000 mile mark. I bet they replaced your because the strainer was clogged. I have a 00' Malibu that had fuel pump problems a year ago. I pulled the tank myself after having the dealer take a look at the car and I found the strainer in the tank was clogged up and wouldn't let any gas thru. Here is my story: http://www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Malibu/2000/fuel_delivery_system/car_runs- _roughly_and_slowly_dies.shtml
  • bestdad4usbestdad4us Member Posts: 8
    2003 Malibu. Had to replace the fuel pump at 61,830 miles. Changed fuel filter @ 30,000 miles later. Car now has 110,000 miles and am told the fuel pump has failed again. Shouldn't fuel pumps last longer than this?

Also was told that the intake manifold gasket was leaking coolant on the front and back (external leak). After searching this forum, it looks like this might be a common problem. Is there more to come on the top & bottom?

Any thoughts?
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    After market pumps can be a problem, go with Delco.
    Not sure your gasket question, but get them replaced.
  • davesteeldavesteel Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Chevy Malibu with 76,000 miles. The fuel sensor needs to be replaced (as verified by a dealership test). The dealership cost is $540. (The high price is due to the labor involved in dropping the tank.) A local garage will replace the entire fuel pump for $500. They say GM pumps have a "gold" metal that gets eaten away by gasoline. They say a Carter pump is better, cheaper, and will last longer. My questions: Should I just replace the fuel sensor, since that's the only problem right now? Or should I replace the fuel pump while the tank is dropped, with the assumption that the pump is nearing the end of its life?
    As a DIY I would just replace the sender. You are not doing the job so I would go with replace the pump. If it was my car I would put in another Delco pump. I can buy one for my truck for $228 and $12 for shipping.
    I once had a sender replaced under warranty on a Chevy Cavalier, the wait was less than 1 hour.
  • jingles99jingles99 Member Posts: 14
    Only 50000 miles, 2003. From what I have read in these forums and else where this is a common problem with this pump. Cost me $400 bucks to have a new pump put in. Of course they had to drop the tank, etc. Pump cost just under $300.
  • 2000malibu2000malibu Member Posts: 1
    A class action lawsuit is nearing settlement in CA for the intake problem. I believe that it covers 2003 models as well. I had mine done three times.
    Look up Gibbs LLP in San Francisco.

Malibus are junk. GM does not stand behind their product and that is a shame. I have always bought GM and this was my last one.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    Be sure you don't run the car with very little gasoline in the tank.
  • unclestickunclestick Member Posts: 7
    i'm a mechanic,and i found that IT IS A REPEAT PROBLEM w/ the intake gaskets. they are made of plastic. i just purchased a '99 malibu (3.1) for wife. the 2nd day i had it, it started leaking coolant from back of int/gasket. before i got it home,it started leaking INTO the engine.now i found that "fel-pro"makes a replacement kit,that is better(and more exp.too!) ,than factory. i put a set on mine, so far so-good. car only has 157xxxmls on it. you really must fix leak asap, or you will KILL the engine. good-luck; rick.
    i just put int/gasket set on 3.1. now at times the engine will just rev-up to 1800-2000 rpm for no apparent reason.i have to resart car to get it to stop. it didnt do this before i put gaskets on intake. any clues out there??? thanks; rick-st.lo.,mo
    can you tell me more about this "suit" going on w/ the int./manifolds? i have the same thing!!! need any info out there. thanks; rick
    I did a search and found this:

http://cf.us.biz.yahoo.com/bw/080326/20080326005392.html?.v=1

You'll have to read the details. It only applies to certain vehicles and not all leaks.
  • 05malibu05malibu Member Posts: 1
    Hi All - First time here, but I need help. I have a 2005 Malibu and I have approx 43k miles on my car. Today my baby is at Chevy getting another Fuel Pump. Yes! Another. I had one put in before the Manufacturers' warranty expired (36K ?)and now I'm told the same thing...."it was a faulty fuel pump".....What do I do? I don't know what I'm supposed to do to prevent this from happening! I use Chevron and Shell gasoline and rarely let it get below 1/4 tank.
    Help!!!
  • bbrillbbrill Member Posts: 5
    Hello, you must have a intake air leak,,,, also form my past experience DO NOT use the stock gasket,,,, are you changing gasket due to water leaking? its a problem with these engines, mine happened twice, first time ruined the engine, second time right after installing new eng, the gaskets are worthless, and chevys update to it is no better,, Fel-Pro puts out a problem solver gasket, it was on back order when I was looking for one, but I found one in Mich, a eng rebuilder had some, so far its holding,the gasket looks so much better than the orig, hope this helps,,, but you are pulling in air somewhere I think for a runaway idle...... Brad
    The original intake gaskets, as well as the " updated " one from chevy is no good, I found, Fel-Pro, makes a problem solver gasket, so far its holding, as I had two original ones fail, and a ruined moter becasue of this,
    SOme say orig, Delco Pump others say carter ???
    I would say a bad batch of fuel pumps. What reason did the dealer give for such poor service?
    At the time of my last posting, we had taken the car into a garage. They said the sputtering the Malibu was doing was due to the fuel pump failing (diagnostics). They replaced that, fixed the gasket leak, replaced spark plugs, and also replaced the thermostat. Since then we've drivien it @ 1000 miles. The other day as I was sitting at a light, the sputtering returned! It feels like something is missing or skipping - like it wants to stall but doesn't. It'll kind of sputter or jump a few times and then run fine. Previously it would do this randomly while driving as well as while idling. Any ideas????
    When was the throttle body cleaned last, intermittent ones are not easy to diagnosis.
  • camoguy1camoguy1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Malibu, 2.4L with 95,000 miles on it. I recently had the fuel lines changed on it. When the car was returned I filled the tank, and almost immediately the car started experiencing some hesitation while accelerating. This occurred while the tank was right full. As the level of fuel decreases, the hesitation seems to disappear. At 1/4 full tank the car ran perfectly. Once I filled the tank, the problem came back. The mechanic inspected it, took out the fuel pump and ran a pressure test on it. He determined the fuel pump was faulty so he replaced it. Filled the tank and it seemed to work fine. I just filled up the tank today and the problem is back! New lines, new pump, and new tank. Mechanic drove the car while it was experiencing this problem, ran multiple scans on it and everything came up clean. Determined it is not the ignition control module (already changed that a year ago). Does anyone have any similar problems? Suggestions?
  • tired_old_davetired_old_dave Member Posts: 710
    Waited too long and can't find posts about the gm fuel gauge sending unit. Previously posted about switching from chevron to shell and the gauge did'nt ding and go to low warning. That was an aberration. Continue to have the problem. Remember that one poster just doesn't fill up the tank completely and doesn't have the problem. Noticed that while driving for some time after the fill up, or after using some amount of gas, the problem goes away. One time while driving after a fill up saw the gauge move to half then creep up to full. The sickening part was finding the tsb posted somewhere and discovering that our 2006 H3 was in the list for this multi-year gm issue.
  • littlepunklittlepunk Member Posts: 2
    I had to have the intake manifold replaced on my 2002 malibu and am interested in the class action lawsuit please contact me regarding this
    gulick21@comcast.net
  • ahinsonahinson Member Posts: 17
    have a 2005 malibu that has just started a rough idle or missing in the engine. more noticable while in gear.will do it sometimes and then it won't.it will start and go away within the cycle of a stoplight.any suggestions would be helpful.i think it is water in gas tank.please tell me if i'm wrong.
  • ahinsonahinson Member Posts: 17
    my malibu has just started running rough or missing.most noticable when in gear.RPM'S go up and down when stopped in gear.it will do it one day and not the next.it will also go away and come back within the cycle of a stoplight.i think it might be water in the gas tank.i cannot feel it above 1500 rpm's. :mad:
  • ccrowccrow Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me if water in the gas tank was the problem? I am having the same issue. HELP!! Any insight is appreciated.

have a 2005 malibu that has just started a rough idle or missing in the engine. more noticable while in gear.will do it sometimes and then it won't.it will start and go away within the cycle of a stoplight.any suggestions would be helpful.i think it is water in gas tank.please tell me if i'm wrong.

Replying to: ahinson (Sep 29, 2008 1:34 am)

my malibu has just started running rough or missing.most noticable when in gear.RPM'S go up and down when stopped in gear.it will do it one day and not the next.it will also go away and come back within the cycle of a stoplight.i think it might be water in the gas tank.i cannot feel it above 1500 rpm's.
  • caveycavey Member Posts: 2
    I replaced the pump and then found it still didn't work. Upon inspecting the electrical system again, which was also done before hand... the pump began working. After a few days there was a knocking or clunking sound from the rear of the vehicle when the car was turned off. This was also present before the replacement. Now the pump no longer works again. The relay was swapped out and there appears to be no problem in the electrical. I have not confirmed power through the relay from it's source as I have no diagram yet.
    Has anyone experienced this yet?
    I am going to the dealer later to get a wiring diagram for the relay source ... there has to be a problem in the power source of some kind.
  • caveycavey Member Posts: 2
    I found the problem ... it had a small amount of corrosion in the main body harness.
  • tjcotjco Member Posts: 5
    i have 2001 malibu LS with the infamous 3.1 V6. i bought it with 55,000 mi. and now has 135,000 mi., i dealt with the passlock ignition problem long ago, $500 and a new ignition and all is well. Was having lack of power problems, took to chevy stealership and paid $350 for "pressurized fuel system/fuel injector cleaning" which helped for about 2-3 weeks then performance got worse. i had the catalytic converter repalced and immidiately the car had more power and response than it did when i bought it and kept getting better. then other problems arised, including the "wont idle down", car dies while driving, ran out of gas with little more than 1/4 tank of gas, and most repeated is randomly have to start car with foot on gas pedel, especially at higher altitudes, recently the car will NOT start unless given gas, also will not idle on it own, she runs fine and drives fine until you take your foot off the gas then it will either struggle to to stay running and die or dies instantly.
    did fuel pressure test with adequate results, repalced EGR valve, no effect. replaced MAF sensor which just recently caused check engine light, (check engine light never comes on), no effect. did cause check engine light again after resetting ECM. i did have bad alternator, repalcement of it, no effect. i did get it to stay running for about 5 mins on its own, after starting kept at 2000 rpm for 5-7 mins but ended with same results,
    Now i do have the famous manifold gasket leak. just cant afford $700-$1000 repair right now. also have done recent tune-up, new spark plugs/wires, repalced TPS sensor and IAC valve within last 12-15 months ago. im out of money and paitence, any help will be appreciated
  • thames77thames77 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 05 malibu and i put gas in it and it runs rough for a few minutes then it levels out and runs good until i gas up again. it is setting a evap code for a unpuged condition. for the fiurst time sence this started it ran rough yesterday when I first started it I changed the gas cap like it said it needed.any sujestions
    remove The IAC valve, clean carbon crap off it (carefully), put it back in. if that doesnt work try replacing it they are only like $20 or so. That single handedly fixed my problem.
    It would help a lot if you would say Classic or Z body and model engine, 3.5 V6 2.4 .
    im sorry, i have a 2001 Z body with a 3.5L V6
    First Z body came out 2004.
  • plowboyplowboy Member Posts: 1
    Exactly where in the body harness did you find the corrosion? thanks
  • amtknamtkn Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2001 malibu it wont start i checked the fuel pump and it works and got 55psi at the fuel rail. the fuel pressure regulator is new and it still acts like it will start but dont i had it hooked to a computer and it said something bout gas exhaust malfuction. I checked the coil pack and it works it is getting gas but wont start just turns over starts for second then dies. can anyone help me or point me in the direction
  • nemesis2401nemesis2401 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 malibu..and having a problem with the fuel guage. its seems to never go below 1/2 tank. when i fill up, it reads full. when it reaches 1/2 it starts to go back up to full [indicating empty (I found that out the hard way)]. anybody have any ideas or know what I'm talking about? If i don't seem to be clear enough, let me know..overall it read fine(figurativly speaking). i.e: when half empty it reads 1/2..ok..when tank is at 1/4, guage reads 3/4..following me?..then when tank is near empty, guage reads "F" (full)..anyone else have this problem?
  • mzchase7mzchase7 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 05 Malibu LS 3.5L V6. I have been having a issue with my fuel guage. If i fill up my car the gauge will drop to empty. Once i drive and burn some of the gas out it will read full until i get below half a tank. If i sit idle more than a few seconds it will drop to empty. i have only noticed it sputtering one time while idle. any suggestions other than a new fuel pump?
    The fuel sender in the tank is replaceable, no need for pump assembly.
  • lionsdenlionsden Member Posts: 1
    i have an 03 malibu that at first thought the fuel pump was bad.checked pressure with gage at rail test port and showed to be 55psi,from what i understand is good.car will start for sec
  • rob57hrob57h Member Posts: 1
    Hi new to site I have a question for amtkn did you ever find your problem as I have the exact problem you had.(#37 of 41).
  • loosendsloosends Member Posts: 1
    Last year I replaced the fuel pump. Now the car acts like no fuel to the engine. I'm not the most car junk savy but i'll do me best. Take fuel line from before filter fuel coming out. and after filter fuel coming out. so nothing to injectors. Spary either in some what carberator and car runs until either can is empty. What do I do?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    May need new pump, this time buy a AC Delco pump, lots of junk on the market.
  • jflann47jflann47 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2001 Malibu. Have you been able to solve this problem with your car?
  • energized1979energized1979 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    Helping my dad and mom fix their 03 Malibu today. 2 months ago they broke down on the side of the road. Some garage towed it and said the battery needed to be replaced for some reason and now also the fuel pump. 700 parts and labor for fuel pump job!! All three of us were concerned, the fuel pump thing seemed coincidental and strange, we gave them paid the bill and let it go. So now, the car broke down in the driveway. Decided the plugs and wires were way overdue, might as well change them finally, we thought it was the problem for sure. No start. After much stress on the heels of the last bill, my Dad looked in the manual in hope of finding something to try. Alas, turn the key to on but not start postion. Wait ten mins. Turn it back off and then start the car. Car started! Now I'm really curious about the last fuel pump job. I made the guy give me the old pump and maybe I'm just an overly suspicious A hole but i'm gonna take that old pump to one or two friends and see if I can get it tested. Let me know if this works for you and how it goes. I'll help more if I can.
  • rab55rab55 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 chevy malibu LS 2.2 I just put a new fuel pump in today when I got it all back togother I turn the switch on and it reads full and I only put 2 gollons of gas in to get to the gas station and I put in 3 more gollons to see the out come and it moved down from the full mark to the 3/4 mark, it is reading backwork. Anyone else having this problem???
  • katrinadoddkatrinadodd Member Posts: 1
    same exact problem with my car today! what was the problem with your car? im going to take my car into a shop today, but if you could tell me what happened to your Chevy that would be great. i don't want to get ripped off.
    :surprise:

your quote: "I have a 05 Malibu LS 3.5L V6. I have been having a issue with my fuel guage. If i fill up my car the gauge will drop to empty. Once i drive and burn some of the gas out it will read full until i get below half a tank. If i sit idle more than a few seconds it will drop to empty. i have only noticed it sputtering one time while idle. any suggestions other than a new fuel pump?"
  • dtimmonsdtimmons Member Posts: 2
    I have 240,000 miles on my Malibu, and up to now, have had great luck with it. Last summer, on a 100+ temp summer day, I was driving interstate and got to a traffic jam, everyone stopped. As I was sitting there for about 5 minutes, my engine started sputtering, the tach dropped and the engine died. I restarted it without much problem, but got scared and turned around and drove another route home without problem.

Hadn't had this problem again until now. Now, it is doing it after the car warms up, and when I pull up to a stop light, or even while I am driving down the road around 35 mph. It sputters, power drops, and then dies. I can get it started after a few sputters, and then drive it short distance, and then it does it again.

Anyone experience similar problems? My mechanic checked the engine but it hadn't thrown any codes and the engine light hadn't come on when it was doing this!
  • samiegirlsmomsamiegirlsmom Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get an asnwer on this issue? I am having the same problem. Mine only shuts off when I turn on the air conditioner and slow down. If I am on the freeway and going at a good speed I can have the a/c on but if I slow down the car with start to sputter and then die if I don't shut off the a/c quickly.
  • jayrodpajayrodpa Member Posts: 1
    2005 malibu maxx 3.5. stalls when it warms up. changed EGR and cleaned the throttle body. i am trying to locate the fuel pressure regulator, but it doesn't seem to have one. there is nothing near the fuel rail and no vacuum coming off the intake. anybody have any ideas??????
  • maddog0324maddog0324 Member Posts: 55
    Per Chilton's:

The fuel pressure regulator is contained in the fuel pump module near the fuel pump outlet. The fuel pressure regulator is a diaphragm relief valve. The diaphragm has fuel pressure on one side and regulator spring pressure on the other side. The fuel pressure regulator is not vacuum biased. Fuel pressure is controlled by a pressure balance across the regulator. The fuel system pressure is constant.