Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 Electrical Issues

Comments

• joe2285joe2285 Member Posts: 12
    Honestly don't waste your money at Infiniti. I have been dealing with consumer affairs for some time. They told me the same thing. Plus they will not pay for the repair they (may help pay) who knows how much too. Better off just doing the aftermarket radio. It was a good choice I made. Just make sure before you let them know you want your steering wheel controls to be hooked up with the rear sub.
  • sbertramsbertram Member Posts: 1
    Will I be able to get an after market stereo at a Radio Shack. Where did you get yours and what brand is it. Thanks
  • jxd2020jxd2020 Member Posts: 1
    I just fixed my car and saved about $1200. Don't even waste your time with Infiniti customer service or the dealer. They are a bunch of crooks and the so called good-will program is a scam (you will only qualify if you have religiously followed dealer recommended maintenance past your warranty... in other words, spent a small fortune already). I'm very disappointed with Nissan since based on the number of complaints, this should have been addressed a LONG time ago.

In any case, this is what you can do if you experience the classic "AC always on and radio controls are non-responsive" problem:

1. Search the web for some videos how to take the bloody thing apart. Its a bit of work, but if you know how to use a screwdriver, you should be OK.

2. Send your radio in to one of those repair services in California. I used this one: xw1600 and was very happy with them.

3. If that doesn't fix it then you also have to replace the audio finisher board which you can probably obtain from the same source.

The total coast should be around $150 for the radio repair and $100 for the audio finished plus shipping, so anywhere from $200 to $350. It sure beats the $1550+ donation to your local Infiniti dealership.

Hope this helps.
  • raycaraccraycaracc Member Posts: 1
    Hi, my name is Raymond. I can repair this problem that will be cost you $280 and 1 year warranty for parts and labour. You need overnight the car for me to test make sure a/c, radio is working prefect. My shop is in scarborough. Contact me anytime.
  • dsg10dsg10 Member Posts: 1
    Raymond, I have the same issue and am hoping to speak to you regarding the repair. How can I contact you?
  • g35radiovictimg35radiovictim Member Posts: 1
    Hello, my name is Danny, Im from Massachusetts. Im a long time Infinti owner, I bought my 2003 G35 sedan in Feb of 2005. Two months in, my radio stopped working, but I was still under warranty so they fixed/replaced it free of charge.

About 3 years ago now, my radio started going off randomly, but I would tap the side of the console and it would come back to life. This went on for months and then went out for good like so many others here have mentioned.

I have been living with this problem for 2+ years now. (close to 3 honestly). My AC/Heat/defrost comes on and off when it wants to (luckily my temp was at 75 when it died, so it isnt too bad, but it just sucks I cant defrost or shut AC off when I want to). I have the bose system w/ Navigation, and I called Infinti dealer and they want to charge 100$ an hr to diagnose never mind fixing (although, they offered to fix my airbag light issue for free ffs).

I really dont want to go that route. I tried going to a local car audio/electronics guy and he said it will cost me about 800$ if he sends it out for repair/replacement. That to me is outrageous. So, basically, Im here to find a solution. I have skimmed through this thread, but I have seen mixed reviews about buying an aftermarket conversion kit due to me having the Nav. Under no circumstances do I want to sacrifice my NAV.

Can anyone recommend any places within 50 miles of Boston/Southcoast Mass where I could get this issue fixed/addressed for under 500$? Or should I just take the plunge and get the conversion kit even tho I have the Nav? Please help, I want to fix this already.
  • ppcorpppcorp Member Posts: 1
    thank jxd2020! I first went to a independent car audio repair/install place that wanted $180 for labor, $400-600 for repair, and I would be three weeks without radio. I followed your lead and was planning to remove the radio myself and send it out for repair. I'm in southern California so your recommendation xw1600 was close enough for me to drive there and have him repair immediately. Labor + repair - $180, 1 hour. Thanks again!!
  • dan79rebelsdan79rebels Member Posts: 1
    I've got 33k miles on my 07 G35x and recently the brake light will come on when I'm accelerating up a hill or a little to hard. After the brake light comes on, the VDC light and Slip light will come on and then the brake light will go off. I contacted the local infiniti dealership and they said that they have seen it before and that the brake fluid is probably low. I've had the brake fluid checked and the brake fluid level and the fluid itself is fine. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what seems to be the problem?
  • pzeepzee Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2011
    I recently encounted problem where temperature and radio controls are not working. Checked all fuses, no help. Radio and Heat/Cool controls unavailable. Temperature stuck at 75 degrees. found if i remove negative battery terminal and reconnect the temperature seems to move to the current temperature. Infiniti no help in paying for unit. just told that recall only covered 03 sedans and not coupes. need help in fining exact part at junkyard as currently unable to pay 800 plus that will cost at minimum.
  • chrisgzimchrisgzim Member Posts: 1
    Hi Raymond,

I'd like to get my Radio fixed. How can I contact you?

Chris
  • rotor4rotor4 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Ray, I would also like to contact you and have you look at my electrical problem on my 2003 Infinity
  • mmcdono761mmcdono761 Member Posts: 1
    i AM IN WOBURN.I BOUGHT MY CAR NEW AND HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM,DID U EVER FIND A SOLUTION?
  • garza35garza35 Member Posts: 3
    Hello I was wondering if anyone can help me. I have a 03 infinity an my ac blasted cold air but my radio doesnt work. I mean don't get me wrong. Thank god for the ac got a feeling its going to be a hot summer. But since its a problem I need to fix asap, I was reading things about the 03 infinity an there is "NO WAY" im spending $1600 . If there's anyone who can help me out please. I live in the Rhode island area...
    Please email at. sgarza35@gmail.com
    Can u raise or lower heat or ac. If not likely radio which vibrios unit. Infiniti will diagnose for free. Infiniti in Warwick RI is charging me $695. Having mine done friday Talk to Kritin Marvelli. They need to order radio. Infiniti is giving me $500 toward work After paying the 700. I am long time owner and presently have 3 Nissan products so loyalty plays big role in their decision. You need to call consumer Infiniti first
    Hello and thank you or the respones.
    i cant even turn it off ,its just blasting the a/c an my radio doesnt play. im going to call the dealership and set something an 'PRAYING' its the radio
    it sounds like what your going threw but i dont wanna get my hopes up. But thank you again for the responds and the help. ill keep you infomed.
    If you call Kristin Marovelli, customer rep, you will get one of the best Infiniti has to offer. I usually set up everything by email. Get it diagnosed first because infiniti consumer 800 line will want to know exactly what was diagnosed. Good luck
    Hello I just came across your post and im very interested in meeting you . My a/c is just blasting and my radio doesnt work at all please send me info and location of your shop. Ill be waiting for your responses.
  • pinkmelrosepinkmelrose Member Posts: 26
    edited July 2011
    Hi everyone,
    I purchased new G35 in 2008 from dealer in monrovia, CA.
    After year and few month later, the engine won't start up randomly for 3-4 time per week. I believed it happens when I park/turn off the engine for 10-20 min then restart.
    After I found this, I brought it to the dealership in Cerritos and they said it might be a battery problem and I changed but no lucks.
    I visited few more times to them and tried to find out, but they saying start up is working just fine. It's very frustrated that I brought it back and found this problem again and again.
    I believe that they may not seeing this problem by their inspection device or, their tech didn't enoughly tried up many times to gain the data that how many times actually turn off. However, I am still struggling with this start up problem since now.
  • lmeier1998lmeier1998 Member Posts: 2
    I started having this exact issue on my 2003 G35 sedan. It was very intermittent and it occurs now almost immediately after I start the car. A/C resets to 71 degrees and blasts the fan. All of the control panel buttons are disabled and I cannot adjust a/c, defroster, radio, cd.
    The fact that I can't turn on the defroster is scarey. What's worse is that Infiniti doesn't care that so many complaints have come to them about this. Yes, I am another one on the "sorry, your VIN is not on our list!"

It's a crime!

I have submited my complaint to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Supposedly, they decide what VIN #'s get recalled.
    Clearly, someone must be getting paid off.

Anyway, perhaps if everyone submits their complaint to NHTSA, they will "wake up"!
  • pinkmelrosepinkmelrose Member Posts: 26
    It seems like same problem that I have. Please feed bck me if you have any response from them. I am still having the problem.... :sick:
  • lmeier1998lmeier1998 Member Posts: 2
    Nothing from NHTSA yet. I seriously doubt they will do anything until someone gets killed as a result of this problem.
  • sbaucomsbaucom Member Posts: 1
    Having this issue for a few months now. You turn on the car, the AC is on FULL BLAST ALL THE TIME< all the controls are blacked out, no way to control them, and radio will not work.

I have submitted complaint with Highway Safety, also Called Infiniti Consumer Affairs 800-662-6200 and spoke to "Kim" who stated she could not find ANYTHING in the system with regard to this year model and issue, which I find impossible to believe because of all of you posting with regard to the exact SAME issue. and somehow the only recall she could find was about an airbag light. I was told to go to the dealer and pay for the diagnostic, then call cons. affairs back and they would "see what they could do" then.

This is some serious BS!!!! Someone before posted that there was a service campaign on this issue but Infiniti could find "no record of such a thing"

We need to start a petition or something, strength in numbers. Infiniti needs to know this should not be our financial burden to bear, we have bought their "luxury vehicle" and now are being treated like moped oweners. this is unacceptable considering the money we spend to drive their brand. This is also a major safety issue.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    That's silly of them to pretend they've never heard of it. If you read through this discussion, you'll see that others have had the exact same problem, as you mentioned.

I think there's a solution posted here somewhere... I believe it had to do with replacing the audio unit.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mario29mario29 Member Posts: 1
    would this radio issue completley drain the battery? if so would a drained battery cause the ignition to not turn at all?? please help!
  • ryane3ryane3 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    My 2003 G35 has the same problem, has anyone found a solution aside from installing one of those 200$ after market face plates that split your cd player from the heat controls?? Okay so here is how this progressed for me.
    1. CD player started skipping bad and heating up all the discs in the changer.
    2. CD player stopped ejecting discs
    3. CD player froze completely, won't even eject. Get display CDERROR F0
    4. Switched to an ipod through the cassette player, at this point the display was still working and the radio, heat, and cassette buttons all worked.
    5.Display shut off completely, only steering wheel controls worked, but i could tell the power supplied to the player was cutting out for large periods of time randomly while driving at which point the speakers just gave out a static feedback. AC stuck on full blast at 70 degrees.
    6. AC shut off, but the cassette is now stuck, nothing will play on the unit, and none of the controls are working. Im quite certain at this point the face plate is dead.

I just want to know if anyone has isolated the problem to being the unit itself or the face plate? Because the volume controls on my steering wheel worked much longer than the display did, and i know that its not anything in the heater/ac. I really think the problem lies in the temperatures from the 2 vents, the engine, and from the 6 disc changer that is in-dash being so close to the face plate controls.

I need to find someone with a g35 that has a still working bose system so i can swap the face plates and see if it magically works :) Idk that anyone is gonna want to risk the potential damage to their unit though. I'll update if i figure out a solution to this problem, infiniti doesnt give a **** about our models because the newest models dont use that bose unit. Seriously when its humid out i can't defrost the damn windows as they fog.. rain is scary!
  • castroocastroo Member Posts: 14
    if you have read from the postings here there is no other solution.. if you swap faces with another that is working properly it will work though i dont believe your cd player will become unstuck.. thats why the aftermarket works its a new faceplate..(independent).. your solutions - 1 remove and have your unit fixed (might break again) 2. get aftermarket faceplate permanent fix to problem and buy a new radio.. 3 get a new unit from infinti (most expensive option and does not always fix the problem) good luck
  • britt41britt41 Member Posts: 1
    Just curious if you found out any further information about this? Along with everyone else, I have been having the AC/radio issue and have now started experiencing battery issues. My battery just went completely out and I am about to have to replace the battery in order to get my car to start. Do you know if this this related to the AC and radio being blacked out?
  • 22332233 Member Posts: 64
    The same thing that happened to norbert444 happened to my 04 G35x today. The speedometer, odometer, engine temp gauge and turn signals stopped working. The AT indicator and the tire indicator turned on.

After restarting the car twice, everything went back to normal and stayed normal all day today.

Anyone else have such a problem?
    Any ideas what the problem is? My SES light has been on for several weeks also.

Thanks
  • 22332233 Member Posts: 64
    Today, my speedometer, odometer, temp gauge and turn signals and possibly other gauges stopped working. The AT and tire indicators came on. The SES light, which had been on for a couple of weeks, turned off.

After restarting it a couple of times, everything went back to normal The SES light came back on.

Any ideas or similar experiences? It is a 2004 G35x.

Another gentleman, norbert444, posted an identical post a couple of years ago with the same results but there were no posts diagnosing the problem.

Thanks
  • mike593mike593 Member Posts: 1
    wow, the same exact thing happened to me. First the CD and now the radio and ac. Have you had any success in fixing your problem? Very curious to hear back from you ,...I will be contacting Infiniti tomorrow.
  • n_m_1n_m_1 Member Posts: 1
    Folks,

I have a 03 G35 sedan that had the same issue (audio console not responding and the ac blasting at full force at a fixed temperature). After several months of talking to nissan consumer affairs division i finally opened a case with BBB. Response from BBB was that since the car was out of warranty (it had approx 60k miles), they cant do much but would still forward it to Nissan.

A week later, i got a call from Nissan asking me to take it to a dealership saying that it would be repaired completely at no charge to me. I got this done a few months back.

Hope this helps out a lot of you out there with the same issue.
  • bkg35bkg35 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Raymond I'm having a similar problem but only with the cd and radio no problems with ac yet. I LIve in brooklyn. where is your shop exactly and how can i contact you..thanks
  • canadag35canadag35 Member Posts: 7
    I've been having the A/C and radio problem intermittently for a few weeks now. When the controls go out, it also knocks out my Nav system. I have also noticed that my interior lights - on roof near switch for the sunroof - also do not work. Is this related to the same electrical issue?

I have not had problems with my speedometer, but is this a natural progression for the problem?

I have read about a few solutions to this. I am in Toronto Canada. Does anyone know who can fix this is Toronto for a reasonable cost?
    edited August 2011
    Hi to our nothern neighbor.

I own a 2003 G35 Coupe and here is what i have experienced. The radio unit has the controls for the A/C and Nav. Once that goes, you will need to replace the unit. I have heard costs from 500-1300. I paid approx 700 for the replacement by local Infiniiti dealer in RI. I cant imagine why it should more where you are. Others have posted ways they have gone the aftermarket radio replacement route but that sounds scary and the costs are not much less. Cant comment on interior lights because i dont recall that being a problem when mine went. A/C and heat stuck at 75 degrees farenheit when unit goes.

I have yet to have problem with speedometer so that is likely a different issue. My Coupe currently has 120K Miles or 200K Kilometers if thats your unit of measure.

Wish you the best but the car at this point is getting expensive to maintain even though i love driving it.
    Thanks,

My car only has 105,000 KM ( 62,000 miles), but I am getting tired of the expense. What else tends to go wrong with the 2003 G35 Coupes? Are there other problems that I can expect?

Do you think the newer Infinti's are any better, or is time to switch brands?
    I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're having with the G35. I see that others have had issues as well, but I will tell you that I put 108,000 miles on mine without spending a day in the shop or doing anything apart from regular maintenance. It never gave me a day of trouble, and I'd still be driving it if it hadn't been hit head-on and totalled (the good news - high-ish speed head-on crash that tore the vehicle to shreds, not one body part damaged on the occupants).

This is not to discount other owners' experiences, but just to say that not all of the 2003's have problems.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• cr729cr729 Member Posts: 5
    My problems started about a year ago when my 6-disc CD changer stopped working. Since I didn't want to spend the money taking it to Infiniti, I got myself an I-pod and have lived with the inconvenience of not having an operable CD player in my car. Then today, I was driving along listening to the radio and all of a sudden the tape ejected. I thought nothing of it so I pushed it back in. Then the audio and a/c controls stopped working. The volume on the tape player suddenly turned up so loud & I could not lower the volume or turn it off. The a/c fan was blasting on auto-econ - meaning it would cycle on the compressor for a minute and then start blowing hot air for 10 minutes. I checked the fuses. Then I called the dealer who told me that the radio and the a/c control circuit board often short each other out meaning that both would likely need to be replaced to the tune of about $1,500. I took your advice and initiated a BBB complaint to Nissan. My G35 has less than 55K miles. Next car, I am going back to a Honda. I loved my '99 Accord coupe and kept it for 6 years. Never had a problem with it.
  • kswettkswett Member Posts: 1
    Well , well , well ,I've had this issue with my G35 for quite awhile now . It started out I thought as a simple issue until my ac , radio , and all my controls that controlled all these things just went out all together . At first I thought it was just a short in my wiring but over the two years of my ownership it gradually got worse . Every issue that you had I had , with the first starting with the cd changer that stopped ejecting and showing an error display .
    I have been a proud infinite owner but after reading all these complaints and with no one from the manufacturer trying to acknowledge this "defect" I have to question the morals of Infinite or Nissan ! I think we should all ban together and get the Better Business Burea involved , I've got to get this issue resolved because winter is coming and I'll be damned if I want to drive without defrost or heat . I'm calling out Infinite and Nissan to get this issue resolved for us loyal Infinte owners or we wont stay loyal Infinti owners !!!! :sick: INFINITI
  • papachapapacha Member Posts: 1
    I had the dreaded radio/heater problem that is so common with this car. I was looking for a stereo that had USB input, great sound, good radio reception & affordable. I bought the Alpine CDA-105 & I love it. Crutchfield offers 50% off the metra kit with purchase! With the 2003 model, you will need to purchase a PAC ROEMNIS2 (Factory Premium Sound Interface). This lets you use the stereo amp(s). The reason for this is, because, if you use the rca jacks through the stereo, you just don't get enough power through the stock amp and is sounds week. I purchased the PAC ROEMIS2, and it cranks! In my opinion, this is the best option!
    Alpine Stereo $139,
    Metra kit, $99
    PAC $35
    Under $300 and I rocks and looks great!
  • pablo64pablo64 Member Posts: 2
    The problem is the radio. It blocks all the controls in the panel. Contact this company on ebay. Fixed it for under $200. User is xw1600.
    Good luck.
  • pablo64pablo64 Member Posts: 2
    The problem is the radio. It blocks all the controls in the panel. Contact this company on ebay. Fixed it for under $200. User is xw1600.
    Good luck.
    Raymond,

If you are in Scarborough Ontario, please let me know how to contact you. I am in the Toronto area.
  • fhirjifhirji Member Posts: 1
    Hi Raymond,

I'm in Scarborough and have the same issue with a/c and radio not working.

Where can I contact you as I need to get this fixed?

Thanks,

Fahim
  • beemerbeebeemerbee Member Posts: 8
    I'm having the same issue, brought my 2003 G35 into Kearny Mesa Infiniti, San Diego, CA. Service advisor advised there was a recall on the computer circuit board that alleged replaced by a Infiniti dealership in San Franciso, CA in 2004 even that it did not need it. Now having to deal with the same reocurring problem. I will pull out the fuse to the AC unit before I'll spend $900+ to rectify the issue. I filed a complaint with Infiniti Customer Service, not sure anything will happen, probably not. I've done research and notice a numerour of consumers with the identical issue. I saved a copy of the recall document I've found at home. Infiniti should standby their products and fix the problem. I will continue to post my blog for justice.
  • beemerbeebeemerbee Member Posts: 8
    I'm having the same issue, brought my 2003 G35 into Kearny Mesa Infiniti, San Diego, CA. Service advisor advised there was a recall on the computer circuit board that alleged replaced by a Infiniti dealership in San Franciso, CA in 2004 even that it did not need it. Now having to deal with the same reocurring problem. I will pull out the fuse to the AC unit before I'll spend $900+ to rectify the issue. I filed a complaint with Infiniti Customer Service, not sure anything will happen, probably not. I've done research and notice a numerour of consumers with the identical issue. I saved a copy of the recall document I've found at home. Infiniti should standby their products and fix the problem. I will continue to post my blog for justice. Would you provide me your Nissan POC? Thanks in advance!
  • jp812jp812 Member Posts: 1
    I love my 03 G35 Coupe except for the fact that

1. CD changer quit working with all of the CDs stuck in the player
    2. Radio quit working
    3. Temperature control quit working
    4. Battery dies if car is not driven every day
    5. Passenger seat control doesn't work all the time.

I would really appreciate your comments on what I can do to get this fixed and would like your thoughts on whether all of these issues are related to one problem.
  • elaine22elaine22 Member Posts: 3
    I just came upon this site accidentally but don't know if I have time to answer everyone with this problem. Go online and look up Factory Car Stereo Repair in Florida. We had the same problem and a kind partsman at an Infiniti dealer told us about this company. In Canada we were told that it may cost us up to 2500.00 to have the repair done here. Factory Car Stereo Repair did the repair for about $350.00 plus shipping. They even have the instructions for removing the stereo. I called them before I dealt with them to make sure this was on the level as it seemed too good to be true. Their phone number is 407830-0777. Good luck. I am going to put this info on a post and hope all the people with this problem reads it.
    We had this problem two years ago. We were told by the Infiniti dealer here (British Columbia) that it may cost up to $2500 to have this repair done. A kind partsman who worked for an Infiniti dealer told us to call Factory Car Stereo Repair in Florida. The phone number is 407-830-0777. We received instructions from them online on how to remove the stereo (includes pictures). We sent the unit to Factory Car Stereo Repair and they repaired it and returned it within one week. It cost about 350.00 plus shipping and we have never had another problem. Good luck to all of you who are having this problem.
    I replied with a solution to this problem on September 28, 2011. Good luck
    Please don't post contact info such as phone numbers. We have to remove those posts.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR