Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 Electrical Issues

Comments

• jason100jason100 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, can i know what is the address for the shop in southern california? Im living in Los angeles. Thx
  • beemerbeebeemerbee Member Posts: 8
    I'm experiencing the same issue with my 2003 G35. Infiniti Customer Service were useless, not willing to own up to defect and stand by their product. Received the usual run around like everyone else. Do you have knowledge of anyone who had their car repaired in San Diego, CA? Thank you in advance!
  • cr729cr729 Member Posts: 5
    I posted here before. Over a year ago my CD player died with all 6 CD's stuck in the changer. I resorted to playing old tapes and using the radio. I tried to use an I pod with adapter but it sounded tinny. Then about 2 mos ago the A/C went berserk. The fan started blowing on high, the compressor would only come on intermittently. At the same time my tape player ejected the tape & when I reinserted it I could not adjust the volume or turn off the tape or radio. After reading all the comments, I realized the A/C and CD player problems were related. I talked to my Infiniti dealer but I decided that an aftermarket unit was the way to go. I got three estimates and ended up with a great Kenwood CD player that has an Ipod hookup and bluetooth. It has an HD radio and is satellite-ready (my car had XM factory installed). With the stereo, the deck faceplate that matches perfectly, the steering wheel controls and the bluetooth/Ipod/HD radio capablities, I have brought my car up-to-date and resolved the A/C issues as well. It cost me about $750 but it was well worth it. They also retrieved all my stuck CD's. My car has only 54K miles, so I think I will get plenty of use from the new system and it will help the trade-in value as well. By the way, I tried filing a claim with the BBB against Infiniti and they denied my claim because the vehicle was too old, however they said they would make the manufacturer aware of the problem. Judging from this forum, I am sure Nissan/Infiniti is aware of the problem, but they will not do anything about it except charge $1500 or more to install a refurbished factory unit. I think I found the best solution, though I wish it had not cost so much.
  • beemerbeebeemerbee Member Posts: 8
    I received a call this morning from Infiniti Consumer Service that they had reviewed my electrical issue (computer circuit board (recall)) involving the radio and ac. As I expected like majority of the bloggers with the same problem, Infiniti will stand behind their product and not take responsibility to rectify an ongoing issue. I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER NISSAN AND INFINITI IN MY LIFE TIME. I WILL ALSO SPREAD THE WORD TO MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS! HORRIBLE SERVICE
  • bobfengbobfeng Member Posts: 2
  • bobfengbobfeng Member Posts: 2
    My 2006 Infiniti g35's all lights and functions on the front panel that includes speedometer, turn signal, gas gauge etc. .. The whole panel does not work just in a sudden after I had it had the oil change service from the dealer after a week. I bought this G35i back to the Infiniti dealer and they told me that the whole panel need to be replaced... , since I bought this 2006 G35 brand new and my wife is the primary driver, the total driven miles are only 52k, this is a big sock for me because I just intend to trade in this g35 for a brand new 2012 M35. Is this a very common problem for Infiniti ? Please advise. Best regarding.
  • sergeybsergeyb Member Posts: 4
    so just like everybody elses G35 problems i got A/C blowing on full, CD changer not working, tape player not working, audio controls dont work (just on the steering wheel) always makes static noise when switching radio stations BUT when i drive for some time for some reason everything starts working again(except CD and Tape player).

So does this sound like a head unit?

And does anyone know anyone in Philadelphia that fixes this HEAD UNIT THING?
    I found a guy that can fix it for $150 if i take it out myself and drive it over(shop located about 1.5 hours away from me)
  • castroocastroo Member Posts: 14
    its the unit..check the prior posts.. there are several solutions available to you
    problem 1 to 4 are the same problem.. change your radio and get the dash kit.. and if possible bypass the boss amp and remove it or disconect..as for 5 may be a new seat?
  • to_infinitito_infiniti Member Posts: 2
    It seems to be a common problem on G35 - there is a circuit board that gets busted and it affects radio and the whole console. I had mine replaced under warranty. IF you are not lucky it is a few hundreds bucks to do it later.

I did get my CD hanged now with cd's inside. Anybody knows how to get CD out and what is a good CD replacement?
  • nickdecarlnickdecarl Member Posts: 16
    Hey, before you ask your question, note that there are now 20 pages of answers on this discussion -- and guess what -- pretty much ALL of your questions have been answered in previous posts. So take a half hour (yeah, it may take that much time) to actually read the information in previous posts before you ask people to type it all out again. The point is that there are solutions, and mine was successfully repaired at reasonable cost -- and your G35 can be as well.
    Got G35 2003 Sedan. when it rains and the car stands still windshield foggs up when start driving all clears, same thing during the summer A/C works when car drives when standing still A/C wont work and car overheats.

Any ideas guys? plz help
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    Is the HVAC fan that blows air onto the windshield and into the passenger compartment working?

Car overheats - do you mean inside the passenger compartment, or the engine?
    Yes fans do work. Car overheats- engine. thanks
    Forgot to mention that during the summer when engine overheats, once i turn off the A/C engine goes to normal temp. thanks
    do your radiator fans work? check those since you have the problem when there is no airflow on the radiator(stationary)
    edited November 2011
    I'm with castroo. Sounds like one of your radiator fans (electric) is not working.

With the engine running and the AC on, open the hood and see if the rad fans turn on when the temperature gauge starts to climb.
  • jmtrepjmtrep Member Posts: 1
    I'm also having the same problem. This is actually the second time I'm dealing with this. My 03 g35 sedan was at the dealer for almost 2 weeks before they solved the problem and fixed it, supposedly. $800 for a new radio and 2 weeks later, I'm in the same boat....temp gauge goes black, ac/fan is on full blast and inoperable and the ghost controls the radio turning it on and off and on and off and volume goes on full blast as well. Good thing the steering wheel controls work to turn off the radio, don't want to know how much it will cost me to replace blown speakers done by faulty parts. Dealer told me my car was out of warranty and did not qualify for the voluntary recall. If anyone has any suggestions about getting this problem fixed, permanently, and possibly getting reimbursed by Infiniti, please let me know!! I don't want to pay out of pocket again to fix the problem and I don't need the ac on permanently in the winter time!!
  • chinniechinnie Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have an Infiniti G35x sedan that has some starter problems. Press the brake as per usual and hit the starter switch and there is a whirrr but engine doesn't turn over. Do it a couple of times and the whirr seems to die, but still engine doesn't start.
    Its not the battery as lights, radio, GPS are all good still. Any others with same issue? Could be alternator or starter switch? Suggestions?
    Sounds like the starter motor is turning over, but it is not engaging the flywheel (which turns the engine when starting). Usually there's a solenoid or relay somewhere - may be part of the starter or separate from it - that when energized causes the gear at the end of the starter motor shaft to move out and engage the flywheel. This part sounds like it's not working.
  • tchaneltchanel Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have any recommendations for where to take the car in Los Angeles / SFV? I'll be purchasing the meta kit and stereo but don't know any audio guys to take care of the installation. Thanks!
  • sriddellsriddell Member Posts: 1
    Hi...
    Had the same problem a few times over the last 2 years on my 03 G35..
    Believe it or not there is a quick fix....Can't believe know one has posted this???
    There is a sensor or diode on the dash that fails..Air or heater goes on full blast and radio controls won't work !!!It can be reset be thumping on the right side of the dash at the side of the temperature gauge on the passenger side of the dash...This somehow jolts the radio and temp controls back into action.. It is a certainly bit medieval ...But it works...
    You might have to find the right sweetspot to hit,,But trust me..It works....
    Lasted about 6 months then happened again did the same thing and it is still working...No cost ?? and Infinity will not tell you about this>>
    Cheers....Stuart Stuartriddell@rogers.com
    Sounds like it's an intermittent connection. If so, then rapping the dash will only provide short term relief. Over time, the connection will just open up more and more until no amount of hitting will make things work.

You should try to find and fix the faulty connection.
  • spidey4spidey4 Member Posts: 1
    Raymond, please let me know how to contact your shop in scarbourough
  • bayuzebayuze Member Posts: 1
    Are you based in canada, the GTA to be precise? I am having same issues as above on the G35 I just bought. This is causing a big drain on my gas. Kindly, link me with repairs for this
  • chriscaliannochriscalianno Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2003 Infiniti g35 and I'm having the same problems as most of the people that have posted on here- with the radio and radio controls cutting out, paired with inoperable ac/climate controls, along with the ac gradually pumping to full blast. I've seen a lot of different posts about sending it to different shops to get it repaired. I debated doing this, but I am also debating putting in a new after market headunit all together. Would this solve both of the radio and ac/climate control problems?
    yes it would..DASH KIT AND AFTERMARKET RADIO SOLVES PROBLEM 100%
  • dhutzdhutz Member Posts: 1
    And about how much did that dash kit and radio cost, and what features did you have to give up?

I'm very close to buying a 08 G35x but all these posts about mother boards failing are making me a little scared.
    It depends on what type of radio you choose. The dash kits are about $150 -$250 & the optional steering wheel control runs about $100- $150. My whole package cost about $750.00 including installation, plus tax. The big plus was I got an I-pod hookup and blue-tooth which my '03 did not have. You have lots of options which will affect the price. The only thing I gave up was the CD changer. My new unit accomodates one CD at a time, however now that I have the Ipod connection, I find I rarely use the CD player. Another plus, the unit I purchased has HD radio and is satellite radio ready. Tip: when you order the dash kit, most places say they can only get silver or black. If you have one of those taupe-beige interiors, be sure to order a "tan" dash kit or it won't match. This totally solved the a/c problem as well as the CD changer problem.
  • justaboutdonejustaboutdone Member Posts: 1
    Do you have any suggestions for an aftermarket radio? I seem to always be told that there were non for the '03 G35 coupe.
    Thanks
    get whichever you like.. i used crutchfield as they provide the install kit and a discount on the dash kit if you buy a radio with them
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Many of the stores that specialize in car audio have a tool that will allow you to find which units fit your vehicle. I'm not sure how accurate this one is:
    http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/VehicleFitGuide.aspx

But it does list some for the G35. I believe that Crutchfield has a similar tool.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• aboneeabonee Member Posts: 2
    Hi! So any of you have a navigation system and if so, does it effect the metra kit installation?
  • aboneeabonee Member Posts: 2
    also, if i am having the exact same problem as all of you wirh my a/c and radio. what is the reasoning for purchasing the metra kit? does that fix the a/c, or isthat neededto coinside wth the radio? Sorry, nobody knows how to help me
  • fatcityfatcity Member Posts: 1
    I've been going through this since 2004. Infinity did replace THREE radios but each one failed after about 3-12 months. After my 2003 Infinity G-35 Sedan was out of warranty it was adios Amigo and hasta la vista Sucker! Here I am and its 2012; the whole electronic dash is now completely failing. AC, heat, radio controls and everything else tied in to the radio is completely wasted. I have talked to Infinity for years about this problem but their unabashed denial of a serious problem is laughable at best. I LOVE my Infinity G35 but I will NEVER and I mean NEVER buy another Nissan product as long as I live. The way they handle these defective issues are embarrassingly inexcusable and hopefully will have to answer for their total lack of regard to all of us.
  • wheel2wheelwheel2wheel Member Posts: 2
    You probably know by now, the Metra kit(s) are 1) A mounting kit for what ever after market head unit applies (single din, double din, etc.) 2) The wiring harness a/m to factory adaptation; there may also be a data interface of some variation, but probably not on this year model. Further more, the whole center control assemblage and adjacent dash panels must be removed for the head unit installation.

One of the techs here has installed a CD/DVD/Radio/Nav double din head unit w/ 6 pair speakers, one sub, 2 amps and it's great.

But for the previously unknown to us "battery eater" mode which was either triggered by the install or was there already. It didn't produce a dead battery until we went into the dash ... customer is in Afghanistan and has never seen the car in person.

It's taken an effort from me to convince the shop owner and others here that whatever the problem, it did not come from our install. Cars don't act like this G35 '03 @ the battery(s) unless there's a collaterally tripped and/or preexisting issue.

As for our customer ... I hope this issue isn't a mark for electrical death. With the suspension and many other bolt-ons / mods it's becoming quite the investment.
  • ameer2ameer2 Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to find the solution to turn signals shutting off the cruise control. It doesn't matter what speed and it consistent 100% of the time.

I've only read one other place where this has happened, but no post were made if a solution was found.

Any suggestions besides the obvious. I do have some experience with cars/electrical. The car seems to have been involved in a front end collision, but never reported on Carfax. I just bought the car last week.
  • tirwin2tirwin2 Member Posts: 1
    Do you have a name of the company that will fix problem ?
  • nickdecarlnickdecarl Member Posts: 16
    http://www.carstereohelp.com/infiniti.htm

This is the place that fixed my G35 about 3 years ago. If you search backwards in the thread you can find my original posts. Highly professional -- I made an appt. and made a two hour drive to have it done -- very happy happy.

Nick
  • canadag35canadag35 Member Posts: 7
    Can anyone recommend a place to get this fixed in Toronto, Canada or Buffalo, New York - preferably Toronto Canada, but I can drive to Buffalo.

I have also read of a few companies in the U.S. that can ship a new radio unit for approx $300. How hard is it to remove the current unit and replace with new one?

Is it possible that the problem requires a different solution than replacing the radio. For example, could it simply be a loose connection? My radio/AC controls were working occasionally a few months ago but now are not working at all.

Finally, I have a problem with the NAV system that has been going on much longer than the radio/AC problem. It also was working intermittently, but now has not worked for sometime. I had always assumed this was just a loose cable since the NAV moves up and down each time you open and close it, but perhaps I am wrong. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
  • dungster1dungster1 Member Posts: 3
    Ac is constantly on and can not change temp control. Radio is on but can not change station or anything. Cd changer stuck. Control panel light not on. Can anyone tell me where to get this fix, preferably in Las Vegas and around how much it will cost me? Thanks.
  • dungster1dungster1 Member Posts: 3
    did changing the head unit really work? Did your ac control work too? I have the same prob and don't know what to do. But if anyone that have this and fixing it by chaning the radio unit, please let me know.
  • canadag35canadag35 Member Posts: 7
    I saw an old post from you regarding the radi/ac control issues. You were looking for a place in Toronto to get it repaired.

I have the same problem with my G35 and I live in Toronto. Can you tell me where you had it repaired, approximately how much you paid and whether you would recommend the place?

Barry
  • eskimoaneskimoan Member Posts: 1
    Hi teza11,

Do you happen to have an address for XW Electronic Company? I would like to take my G35 there to get the audio unit fixed. Thank you very much in advance. :)
  • teza11teza11 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Eskimoan,

I no longer have the address. I suggest that you call the phone number I posted and ask for John.

Good luck!
    I haven't posted in a while, but I ended up with an after market replacement of my audio system, the steering wheel controls and the A/C/audio control Metra dash kit. I priced it around locally and found a place called Mad Mark's Audio. They also installed it. It's been almost a year and am very happy with my new system, especially because I now have satellite-ready HD radio, bluetooth for my phone as well as a hookup for my Ipod. They also retrieved all 6 of my CD's that were stuck in the original unit without damaging them. The only thing I gave up was the multiple CD changer and the tape player, but who uses tapes anymore? I find I use my Ipod much more than the CD player. I highly recommend an after market solution to give this older model car some of the bells & whistles of a newer car.
  • jointhecrowdjointhecrowd Member Posts: 1
    I just had this radio problem fixed by John Huang at XW Electronic Company. He is in El Monte, California (Southern California, east of Los Angeles) and will fix your radio/multi-CD player on site or you can arrange to mail it and he'll repair it. My cost for removal and repair on site was $190.00, plus he replaced a burned-out light bulb in my clock. My dealer in San Diego quoted over $500.00 and that was a few years ago. It probably will cost 2x's that now. Mr. Huang is excellent and the repair, which took 1 hour was efficient. XW Electronic Co. He's also on Ebay. The forum does not allow posting of phone numbers, but you'll find his full contact info on Ebay. P.S. I understand that a lot of dealers send the radios/CD players to Mr. Huang.
  • pest19boarderpest19boarder Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if the stereo system is changed will the a/c start working again properly? Im going to instal and aftermarket stereo receiver and get rid of the problem causing Bose. Will the a/c start working again or do i need to have that fixed separately?
    Yes, it will fix the a/c problem. I had an aftermarket audio system installed and it's better than the original Bose in that it has bluetooth, HD radio and an Ipod connection. The Metra replacement panel for the a/c controls is not quite the same quality as the original but it looks ok and it works just fine. Most websites only carry black or silver but if your interior is that tan color, then try to find one that will match because they do make it, it's just not as readily available as the black or silver. I saw one today on Amazon for $167.95.
  • pest19boarderpest19boarder Member Posts: 2
    thanks yeah i have all the components, steering wheel adapter, replacement panel and adapter to bose speakers. big relief to know i dont have to do anything to the a/c. i did notice what you said about the button quality... i was hoping they were the same size buttons and maybe i could just switch them. Ill check when it arrives.