Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 Chevrolet Blazer Steering Stability and Suspension

cj4258cj4258 Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
2001 4x4 Blazer, about 85k miles.

Overall it hasn't been that expensive to me, but I fear I have some front end problems coming.

About 6 months ago it developed a low howl after going over speed bumps in my apartment complex. Seems to be only the front left, but could be both front wheels. Wheel bearings I expect?

Shortly later, the front wheels developed a "quiver" while turning sometimes. Its never been a chronic problem, seems to come and go. I barely use 4x4, and the wheels definitely aren't skipping like they would in 4hi or 4lo so I doubt a transfer case problem is this culprit. It just seems like the steering is struggling to maintain the wheels while in a turn. This isn't a huge problem but it does pop up from time to time and I always get strange looks when I talk about it with others. Meh?

Lastly, and a little more alarming at times, is a sudden thud from the right front wheel when in a tight turn. I suspect this is a ball joint.

Despite all this weirdness, it still drives fine. Just little things that probably mean big repairs ahead, I fear. Can someone confirm or correct my suspicions and then give me an estimate of what parts and labor can cost to replace the wheel bearings and to possibly rectify a ball joint problem? I am in no position to do this work myself.

Thanks much.

Comments

• 12b3012b30 Member Posts: 1
    Has anybody had experience adding a lift kit to a S10 Blazer? I'm thinking of adding a 2" suspension lift, making my 4dr. look like the ZR-2 model. I hope. If anyone has a photo of a lifted blazer or jimmy I'd sure like to see it.
  • repairdogrepairdog Member Posts: 948
    Performance makes the 2" body lift that will handle up to 31" tires, thats all. Next is a 6" suspension kit that looks pretty unstable and the front frame susp mounts may crack the welds with it. Google for pics.
  • fire_dawgfire_dawg Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 1985 blazer with a new tranny and new 350 crate motor. I want at least a 10 inch lift but do not know what kind of kit I need. I want to put 40in. tires on it. Any help would be great. Fire_Dawg
  • stryker3stryker3 Member Posts: 2
    As I look at my 1999 Blazer from the front I noticed that the right front passenger wheel is not perpendicular to the ground like the other three. It appears the top of the wheel/tire is angled or tilted slightly inward towards the engine and the bottom is kicked out. I haven't noticed any steering problems and the tires have shown no signs of uneven wear, maybe because I caught the problem (if any) soon enough? Any suggestions on the problem?
    Thanks
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Are there any unusual noises when traversing bumps? Could be control arm bushings, could be alignment spacers have fallen out. A quick alignment check and front suspension inspection should find the problem. These are not complex suspension systems on Blazers, so it should be easy to find and remedy.
  • waterggoowaterggoo Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 S10 Blazer 4x4 the past six mouths or so the steering wheel is off center and getting worse fast the steering wheel should be 9 & 3 o'clock now it is about 7 & 1 o'clock. The right front tire is wearing on the outside edge. The pitman arm and idler arm is new tie-rods ands seem to be in good shape. I will check the shocks and the control arm bushings. The ball joints seemed to be good I will check them again. any ideas?? what could cause this.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Check the alignment. There is always the possibility something got bent/whacked out of true. Even the 2WD can get wanked on speed bumps if hit too fast. Just ask my son. :mad:
  • richk28richk28 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1999 and I have replaced the front wheel bearings and pitman arm 1x. And the upper ball joints, idler arm 2x. I have 164k on mine. The first ball joint was around 40k. Everything else started around 90K.
  • dunrightdunright Member Posts: 2
    Sorry if this is a double post, i am new to forums. do i have to lift/raise the engine to change the ptiman arm on a 98 S-10 blazer. i am in costa rica and i think they are trying to soak me for cash. thanks in advance.
This discussion has been closed.