Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Noises and Sounds

stevem9stevem9 Member Posts: 2
edited April 2016 in Nissan
I have a 2000 pathfinder 63000 mi., the front of the car and steering wheel vibrate around 40 mph, new front tires, tie rod ends, and links. I am thinking that the front wheel bearings should be replaces, does anyone have any answers??

Comments

• datsun1datsun1 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have this problem with their 06 Pathfinder: With all windows up...roll down the rear windows and the pressure inside the Pathfinder becomes very loud and almost sonic to the ears very bothersome. Does Nissan offer any cure for this?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
  • robh243robh243 Member Posts: 4
    Anyone notice the sound that the Pathfinder (this case is a 2006) when the limited slip kicks in? What I'm being told is that this sound is normal but I see nothing from Nissan to assure me.

Any thoughts out there?

The sound is like gears meshing together and I have confirmed that it's the LSD because the "SLIP" light comes on at the time the noise occurs.

Thanks for the help.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    There is no "real" limited slip differential in the pathy. What you/we have (I have an Armada) is that ABLS which is Anti-lock Brake Limited Slip in conjunction with an open rear differential.

In an open differential, if a wheel is slipping it will continue to slip until you either let off the gas, or apply the brake. In the case of ABLS if a wheel slips, the brake is applied to that wheel which forces the power from that wheel to the other wheel on that axle which presumably has more grip. This is on both the front and rear axles so we effectively have a Front and Rear Limited Slip.

What you are hearing is the brakes being applied to the axle and the power being forced to the other side. It is perfectly normal.

On the flip side, if you spin both rear wheels at the same speed (pretty hard to do) the ABLS will not activate because it will not percieve any slip.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need any follow up information.

-Mike
  • spanky7spanky7 Member Posts: 2
    is there a remedy? besides cracking the front windows an inch
    I am not aware of any other practical solution. A full solution would be to change the geometry of the vehicle which is unlikely to happen. Perhaps the engineers will eventually come up with some kind of external deflectors.

tidester, host
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    It isn't limited to a few vehicles. I had a 1990 4Runner that did it and an earlier Surbaru wagon did it as well. Cracking the rear hatch glass an inch or so on the 4Runner attenuated the "booming", but was, of course, dangerous (exhaust gasses could enter). I just leave the windows up on my 2001 PF, as it gets better fuel economy using the A/C than it does with the windows down. With just the sunroof cracked (tilt funtion) there is only a little wind noise with no booming. This increases normal airsystem airflow through the vehicle by providing an exit into a slight vacuum. If opened too far (slide function) it will start to boom.

I don't think this can be considered a "design flaw", it's the nature of the shape of current "SUVs". They will all do it.
    It isn't limited to a few vehicles.

Quite right!

tidester, host
  • robh243robh243 Member Posts: 4
    Mike,
    Thanks for your reply. That certainly makes a lot of sense and now I know why it sounds like the ABS kicking in as well.
    Again ....... Thanks ;)
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Glad to help!

-mike
  • fasteddie43fasteddie43 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 01' pathfinder LE with 90,000 m on it. Two months ago I noticed a light groan coming from the vehicles rear. So I searched some message boards and found that Nissan has a service bulletin. It states that rocks get stuck above the right rear shock mount and cause this noise. so I went to my mechanic and had him pull the shock, clean the area and put the piece of foam in. Well! My noise is still there and it's steadily getting louder. My mechanic told me it could be bad bushings or shocks but, he wouldn't know till they're replaced. I would like to avoid that expense because my suspension seems fine but, the sound is getting annoying!!!

I would be thankful for any help with this matter.
    A little more information may help the experts here diagnose your problem. For example, does the pitch or intensity of the groan vary with driving speed? Does it occur continually or sporadically?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • fasteddie43fasteddie43 Member Posts: 2
    I hear the noise most times when I drive (PA roads) But, when the suspension is flexed such as large pot holes or when I hit a speed bump at an angle the metallic groan sounds louder.

I hope this helps!! thanx!
  • ma1831ma1831 Member Posts: 1
    There is a high pitch ringing noise coming from the engine compartment. Two mechanics so far have not been able to locate the cause. It is not there when the engine is started. It takes a couple minutes to appear. It goes away when the car is in neutral or park, and reappears when in drive. I have been told everything from the distributor to the ac compressor as possible causes. The ac by the way is not working. I had the alternator replaced because someone thought it was causing the ring. When it did not go away the original one was put back on. Any ideas/
  • luvnissan04luvnissan04 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I have an 04' Pathfinder with 60K miles. After about a year when I bought my car new, I had a noise in the alternator area when the humidity changed (I live in St. Louis). The dealership said its no a big deal. It goes away after about 5 minutes of driving. In the past year the noise is louder and longer. No that it is winter, it doen't go away. When the car is not moving you can hear it. The belt is in good shape and the car runs great. Do I have a problem and how do I fix it.
  • rsb322rsb322 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2006 Pathfinder LE 4x4 and there is a rattle coming from in front of the glove box. The technician said he couldn't find out where it came from but tightened the body and chassis mounts. It stopped for about a week and it is back. It only happens when the car gets warm. I also have numerous rattles around the window frames which can sometimes be helped by lowering them slightly. Has anyone come up with a solution to these issues?

Thanks
  • goyekgoyek Member Posts: 2
    Got the 07 PF SE 4x4 6 mos ago and have logged 7k so far. Recently, I notice sounds coming from below like loose bolt/nut rubbing against metal whenever I pass small bumps. No problem with large bumps, and it gets annoying. Going to delar in 2 weeks for regular service, want to know what should I asked them to look/check. I hope its just bolt tightenning and nothing serious.
  • frrussrefrrussre Member Posts: 41
    My 07 SE Automatic, creaks on rear right corner, on take off from stationary. Sometimes on cornering. Dealer tightened couple of bolts on back end, said not torqued correctly. Made no difference.
    Reg. Frank R.
    Ps. I drove a rental 08 for the day, creaked on every corner, braking, takeoff & cornering. Did not give me confidence.
  • frrussrefrrussre Member Posts: 41
    My 2007, has same window rattles. annoying. Front passenger window, continues to slide down for a second after, finger removed from button. Rear right creak from back end. Door rattles on closing.
    Reg. Frank R.
  • goyekgoyek Member Posts: 2
    Went to the dealer for 7.5t miles regular service check and complained about the noise. The Mechanic couldn't hear the problem so I had to drive the supervisor so he can hear the noise himself -- and he DID. He asked me to com back the next day coz it might take longer to isolate the noise and for me to remove all my stuff in the car. I camme back the next day and in two hours the master technician reported it was nothing serious, just the 3 rubber stopper in the hood has gotten a little loose (maybe due to cold weather) and had to tighten it and add silicone. Never heard the noise again, and at least I now know where its coming from.
  • andreww2andreww2 Member Posts: 4
    Need some help and advice. Have a 2005 Pathfinder with just over 73,000km’s. Just recently I have been in and out of 4H (snow time), only to find I have a vibration (never happened before). When I put it back into 2WD (even after reversing), I get a vibration anything from 60km’s to 105km’s getting louder as the speed increases (sounds like I am going over a cattle grid – best I can do with description – feel it in my seat a little). Nissan said I needed new tires… got them and it comes and goes always after I go between 2WD and 4H and back. They are now thinking may be U Joint. Can the SUV come out of 4WD high, and show on the dash no longer in 4WD, but still be engaged (even it if it one side)? Any advice or experience similar that I can look into to see if it solves my problem?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You may want to check out the Nissan Pathfinder Steering Suspension Stability discussion too.
    Will do Steve in case it helps find the issue... thanks
  • pgconroypgconroy Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have a 2005 Pathfinder with 43,000 miles on it. Last week I started hearing a metallic whirring sound during idle. It's not a belt squeak - almost sounds like a turbine or jet engine. I have a friend with a 2005 Frontier with the same noise. I found information indicating it may be the plastic camshaft belt tensioners wearing out prematurely in the engine. Has anyone else had this noise and experienced this issue? If so, did Nissan fix it under the 60,000 mile engine warranty? Any advice?
    Yep I had that problem (also 2005), and they fixed the problem under warranty (made sure of that before I handed the keys over), I was at 70,000km’s or close. It is a known problem and it is the cam tensioner so get them to do it. The nose is reduced now. Andrew
  • rholmbergrholmberg Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2005 as well with your same problems of vibration...what is the update to your situation
  • rholmbergrholmberg Member Posts: 2
    take it to the dealership and have them change the u joint...that indeed is the problem with vibration on excellaration....will cover under warranty up to 100.000 km power train......
  • sicat0485sicat0485 Member Posts: 1
    anyone get the problem with the 07 pathfinder, when they are stopped there seems as if liquid is hitting something as if it were some kind of liquid substance was being shaken around the tank...would anyone happen to know the problem ...thank you
  • gf2005pathfindgf2005pathfind Member Posts: 2
    Hi Rholmberg,

I too have the same vibration when I accelerate my 2005 Pathfinder. It's driving me crazy. I bought new tires but it hasn't improved. Did you indeed confirm with Nissan it was the u joint? I'm just over my drivetrain warranty. Any idea how much to replace the u joint?
  • kjatkinskjatkins Member Posts: 1
    I just recently acquired my 06 Pathfinder and i am really starting to notice a vibration. The vibration occurs when the vehicle is in either drive or park, but only when the vehicle is not moving. As soon as I take off on a green light, it is smooth sailing. The vehicle seems to run just fine. Any other similar experiences?
  • 05lovehate05lovehate Member Posts: 1
    We have had a squeek and a sqill from the time that we purchaced our 05 with two miles on it. Nissian has replaced the belt, tensioner pully, twice and the problem has still not been fixed. Did the camshaft belt tensioner fix your problem. Our dealership can not seem to fix our problem.
  • pathfinder123pathfinder123 Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Pathfinder has started making a noise that sounds like a stuck lifter. I only hear it when accelerating. I don't hear it in neutral or when not moving (in gear holding both gas and brake) Any ideas?
  • charlene6charlene6 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2005 pathfinder with 39K and i notice my heatshield vibrating after checking it myself i noticed the too rings holding had rusted away, also a tapping noise when i go to stop, had that checked and it is the ujoint, bringing it in this week because it covered under the warantee, any body else having these problems
  • 440racer440racer Member Posts: 1
    I've towed my boat (about 3500 lbs) with my wife's PF and after getting the boat back home I heard a noise coming from the differential area.

It's kind of a humming noise that goes away after a while.

Any ideas?
  • jgrahnjgrahn Member Posts: 1
    1. Has anyone experienced the noisy clunck that happpens when the automatic transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd. Dealer says nothing can be done and it's not a problem, don't worry about it.???
    2. At 40mph. the engine lugs (strains) as you drive down the road at 40mph. Seems to me that the rpms are to low. If I switch to the sport shift, rpms go up and the lugging goes away.
    Other than that, I love my Pathfinder. By the way, it has the 4.0, V6
    Any thoughts on these two issues wouuld be appreciated. Thanks, Jerry
    I recommend posting your second question in the Nissan Pathfinder Engine and Performance Issues discussion.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • JobsJobs Member Posts: 1
    Purchased 2008 Pathfinder in April we love it; except recently we've noticed it makes a whistling noise from what we think is under the left side of the dashboard when we are driving 75 to 80 mph. We don't think it is a mechanical problem because the car runs great, but have no idea what could cause this problem, it has become very annoying. Any suggestions why or where the noise is? Have there been any other consumers who've had the same problem???
  • dc1995dc1995 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same noise in my 2005 off road pathfinder. I can not find the problem either. I took it to the desler and they said it is just a noisy engine?
  • JOCOBJOCOB Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem from day one and the dealer keep saying this normal TELL IT GOT WORSE finally I have insisted to have it fixed they have replaced transmission and Radia and many things, the vibration gone but they cause many problem like the heat stop working and they damaged the Muffler claiming it was like this they could not put it back and I am still struggling with them to have it fixes I have contacted the main office they could not do any THING WHILE THE CAR STILL UNDER EXTENDED WARRANTY
  • mlandinomlandino Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Pathfinder with 46,000 miles on it. I've been hearing a loud consistent base sound over 55 mph especially when the vehicle is coasting. The noise disappears below 55 mph. Occasionally the steering wheel will vibrate also but I'm not sure if it is directly related to the noise. I'm thinking it's the U joints... Thanks
  • croquemorecroquemore Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Pathfinder with 52K miles on it. Lately there has been an annoying squeaking noise when the truck is in reverse. The noise only occurs when I put the car in reverse. Has anyone experienced this problem?

Croquemore
  • zilla2zilla2 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same thing, 2005 PF with about 60K. Firestone said it was the drive train. Anyone?
    Thanks
  • jdpathfinderjdpathfinder Member Posts: 4
    Hey everyone...I just bought a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder SE from CarMax yesterday. Runs great, clean, low mileage...except I noticed a squeaking (loose belt) noise coming from the engine this morning. Someone mentioned it might be the power steering for which there was also a bulletin notice on the issue. Anyone else have this issue and, if so, how did it work out. Do you recommend I take it to a Nissan dealer or back to CarMax? I still have warranty left on the drivetrain from Nissan...I would assume that power steering is part of the drivetrain?

Thanks!
  • docjarv39docjarv39 Member Posts: 1
    i have the same thing. 05 PF with 65k and squeaking/ "braking" noise when in reverse. any luck?
    Is this a noise I would hear just after starting the car and driving about 15 yards? Like a clank - two pieces of metal hitting each other...almost like driving over a drain cover or something. I only hear it after starting the car and driving less than a mile - never while driving and stopping at lights or stop lights and continuing.

thanks.

2006 Pathfinder SE
    Yes, I am also experiencing this. Much worse when the A/C is running. Same year, 2006 SE. Have you had any luck finding the source of the issue?
  • denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    I've been test driving a 2000 Pathfinder SE and noticed that, when parked and the engine on, I hear a noise that sounds sort of like sizzling or crumpling paper from under the car, in the rear, from the passenger side (can't really hear it from the driver's side). No fluids leaking that I can see. And it doesn't sound like it is coming from the engine. Any ideas? Thanks.
  • b1000101b1000101 Member Posts: 5
    I was getting a vibration at 40mph, but now there is a vibration and hesitation at 60 before noticeable split and grab in the drive chain. Please tell me I'm not looking at getting a new transmission.
  • trentsteeltrentsteel Member Posts: 8
    In most cases, the vibrartion at 40 is the first sign that your coolant is mixing with your transmission fluid. I would have this checked ASAP. You might be able to get away with having the radiator replaced and the transmission fluid flushed - if you catch it early enough. Otherwise, a transmission might be required.

I would also review the transmission problem threads.
  • b1000101b1000101 Member Posts: 5
    Turned out to be a bent front drive shaft. Putting it in neutral at speed did not remove the vibration. Am getting the fluids changed just to make sure.

Thanks,
    Steve