Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Town Car transmission

2»

Comments

• gama1gama1 Member Posts: 3
    i have a 03 town car it was running great untill this past Monday when i was on my was home from work, i let the engine warm up for about 10 minutes when i hit ruffly 45 miles per hour the car acted like it shifted in to neutral versus the next gear and id only hear the RPM's going high and lose all acceleration .. i pulled over turned it off then attempted to make it the rest of the way and it did it again around 40mph i was over on my oil change but yesterday i changed it 75,000 mile castrol gtx for older engines/synthetic ...mine has ruffly 61,000

....on a weird note if i drive it in the #2 (P,R, N,D,2,1) it has no trouble passing the 40mph wall it hits when in regular drive...am i doing more damage to her by doing this.. i hear the RPM's revving super high when i drive it like this

... i added the Lucas transmission treatment to my trans fluid when i did my oil change this time and she still does it
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    You added the Lucas treatment to the tranny when you changed the engine oil is what I understand you to say.

Now, change the tranny and turbine oil & install a new tranny filter. If you're going to keep the car for a long time, consider using a semi synthetic Mercon V tranny oil. It's not cheap, but it works great.
    i just spoke with the dealer they said that they don't change the tranny filters that they just back flush them since there made out of metal n they said i have no turbine oil... so my next step would be to do a tranny flush?
    Suggest you double check that statement with an independent transmission shop.

It would not surprise me if there was a drain plug on the turbine. It is rather difficult to have it appear in the orofice in the bottom of the housing. Change the filter.
  • nwraaanwraaa Member Posts: 177
    Transmission fluid changes are not what they used to be. When you want the fluid changed by a dealer or a national transmission service company, now a days, you have to tell them that you want the pan removed, torque converter drained if it has a plug, and a new filter installed. I have no personal experience with the vacuum fill system being used by the dealers and national transmission service companies. I still change transmission fluid the old fashion way. I have heard just as many negative comments about the "flush" process as positive comments. In the case of your transmission, the most economical thing to do is to have the fluid changed. Change the filter also. The transmission also has solenoids. While the pan is off you should consider changing-out these solenoids.
  • gseterrygseterry Member Posts: 13
    Back flushing with fresh fluid is a lazy way of changing fluid in the trans and gives you NO more long term cure for what ails it. :sick:
    The filter/screen is Metal . It needs to be removed, cleaned and put back in and a CLEANED pan and gasket installed. :D
    Back flushing blows any debris in/on the filter back into the pan and over time those UFO's get sucked right back into the filter screen.

Engine Run away in Drive? The Lockup solenoid or even that clutch in the convertor has failed.
    Try one more sequence. Drive it out on the E/way to your 45mph fail threshold in "D". Depress the O/D OFF button (a light will go on on the dash indicating this has been accomplished). No more run-away? Convertor Lock-up is at fault.

Note here, as I posted last spring, I had trans problems with my 99 Cartier (so I thought). Took it in to a REPUTABLE trans shop owned by a friend.
    Trans checked perfect. $25 to scope that out. ;)
    I had #5 and #7 cylinder coil pack (COP's) gone bad. The poor running of the engine drove the Trans-'Puter nuts trying to hold speed and keep economy up to snuff. ONLY replaced those 2 Coil Packs too. Been running and shifting perfect since.
    Don't fall for the BS that when a couple Coil-Packs go bad ALL 8 need to be replaced either. :mad:
    (1999 = 1st year of the COP's) There are codes on those packs. Mine are "D"s. VERY early in production. Epoxy sealer on top of coils will shrink and crack after time and miles. Moisture and Humidity can seep in those cracks and cause a miss on rainy or hi humidity days. After replacing the 2 bad coils my mechanic sprayed (soaked) Permatex (RED) Gasket Sealer ON top of them all. Just a little added protection.

Just because we OWN & LOVE our Lincolns doesn't mean our wallets have holes in the bottom for Dealers and Rip-Off shops to suck from.
    Go on the internet and educate yourself. Make them Prove their diagnosis.
    I just turned 60 years young. I've been a mechanic for 45 years.
    I love my TC and want to keep it. Its my 1st.
    We're at 130,000+ miles right now and plan on a 100,000 more. :)
    Good Luck to all,
    Terry
    Concerning the Coil-Packs, I am presuming that the coil-packs caused the engine to misfire. Did your service engine light come on to indicate that there was a problem with cylinders #5 and #7? Although a number of TC's are prone to transmission shift shuddering, I have not heard or seen that there is a service engine code to indicate that there may be a problem with the transmission solenoids.
    i have a 03 towncar 53,000, no check engine light on ither and recently ive started having problems with it... when i put it in drive right around 30mph in stead of shifting it acts like its going into neutral and insteead of accelerating u just hear the rmp's raising... i click the over drive button and the car is able to go faster but again i hear the rpm's super high.. has anyone ever herd of this problem??...ive changed the tranny oil already
    Rembering the transmission is influenced by a computer, relays, & modules, it may be that some component can be reset by disconnecting the Negative cable from the battery for 30 minutes because sometimes that causes the problem to reset.

While dealing with the battery, it is a good time to clean & lube both terminals and posts.
  • xelvis66xxelvis66x Member Posts: 77
    edited March 2010
    1994 Towncar with 149,000miles V8 over headcam, and will not go into reverse. When it's cold out it goes into reverse one time but if you take it out you have to restart the car? The fluid and filter were changed and this is the only service done that I know of. Don't think this has anything to do with it but it has a good miss when driving down the road. appreciate any suggestions.

Does anyone know if this car has a computer for the tranny, and where I can plug into?
  • dtidealdtideal Member Posts: 1
    i have an 88 lincoln with an overdrive automatic ..when accelerating from a stop the transmission appears to be shifting from 1st to 3rd without going into second.. of course this causes the engine to lugg.. once it gets into 3rd I can not get the transmission to downshift by pressing on the accelerator... i can manually shift the car to low and accelerate but it still feels like it is trying to bypass 2nd when i shift into drive... i also can not get the trans to downshift from overdrive to 3rd.. simple throttle /transmission linkage adjustment issues or something more serious?? thanks

dennis
  • duwanneduwanne Member Posts: 1
    91 lincoln towncar the overdrive just went out all a sudden slips when shifting from 3rd to overdrive .is there something simple to do or is it a major overhaul
  • rick176rick176 Member Posts: 2
    WHILE DRIVING IT WILL FILL LIKE IT IS SLIPPING NOT ALL THE TIME COM DOES NOT SHOW ANYTHING. CAR HAS 76000 MILES AND ALL MAINTENANCE HAS BEEN DONE SINCE IT WAS NEW. HAS ME WORRIED ABOUT A LONG TRIP BECAUSE IT IS NOT ALL THE TIME. WORRIED IT WILL GO BAD IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE.
    ANY IDEAS OR SOMEONE WITH THE SAME PROBLEM AND A FIX.
    RICK
    Is the Mass Air Sensor original? If so, it can be cleaned, carefully, or replaced.
  • rick176rick176 Member Posts: 2
    I WILL FIND WHERE IT IS THANKS AND I WILL LET YOU KNOW.
    RICK
  • mccrnmccrn Member Posts: 2
    look i got this 93 towncar and drive it fine for a couple months. then one day it started slipping like it was low on fluid. fluid was fine. i changed the filter, and fluid and well it still did the same. i could granny it up to speed and it drives fine on the highway until it gets warm and then it wont go from first or second gear at all. i replaced the tranny and the new one does the same. i was told by a local tranny shop it was the clutch inside it and it would cost my 1400 dollars to fix, what are the chances the used tranny i bought does the same thing? it smells like the fluid is burned and well wont go anywhere... please let me know. mike
  • nfmstormnfmstorm Member Posts: 4
    the transmission shutters thumps grinds while driving usually over 30mpg it does it at steady speed and during up & downshifting anyone expierence this and found a fix or am I headed for the poor house on the repair.
    It is quite possible that the used transmission has the same problem. If the fluid is burned you will probably have to replace the transmission.
    Take it to a transmission shop. Let them give you the verdict. Shuddering, thumping, and grinding does not sound like a quick cheap fix.
  • mccrnmccrn Member Posts: 2
    i have reverse and nothing more, and well i didnt think the second tranny would act the same very way
  • melliereemellieree Member Posts: 1
    i have a 93 tc that only goes in reverse. I rebuilt trans but didnt work. bought used one from everdrive on line , it worked for about 30 miles but vibrated really bad then got hot and now only works in reverse again. i bought brand new torque convertor and had a shop install it but same results, PLEASE someone help. thanks
  • tinwackertinwacker Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Lincoln town car that has about 90 thousand on it, Today it will not shift into OD, Never had fluid or filter changed, Fluid is a little low maybe a pint, DOesn't smell like its burnt
    Do you think it has to smell burned to be contaminated? Change the oil. Now!
  • jake_omgjake_omg Member Posts: 3
    Not so sure if this is what it is but this is what someone told me it could be. I own a 1984 lincoln tc signature series and has 62,000 original miles,so it has been taken care of. But recently it started making these buzzing sounds that almost sound like bee's or something whenever I put it into park after an hour or so of driving. I'll stop,put it into park,it'll buzz for a while and won't stop,and then put it into drive or any other gear and it will stop. It only makes this sound after driving for a bit and only in park,and the sound is coming from under the car, around the tanny hump in the center. It's very loud and annoying. Someone please tell me if you know what it is?? And if its bad or not,and if there's any way to fix it.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Sounds like a pump or valve body deep within the transmission. Don't know if it's terminal, these were really tough transmissions, but with 25 years, this would not be an unusual phenomenum to experience. Have you had it serviced recently? If not, that is where I'd start. Probably wouldn't fix it unless the transmission began to functionally start acting up.
  • 345bill345bill Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem exactly. Have you gotten any feedback or have you found the problem. Thanks
    I did some research on the transmission shudder that feels like your driving over rumble strips usually between 3rd & overdrive gear and found that its something to do with the tourgue lochup converter which can be remedied by changing the transmission fluid. I have not done it yet but I contacted aamco transmissions who also now offer other car repairs because they have a service that will flush the tranny & also remove the pan & change the filter they quoted me $99.00 which is a phenominal price not sure if it was just a special. I definitely want the pan fluid emptied and a new filter most shops that offer fluid flush charge extra to drop the pan & install a new filter but thats what I'm going for.
    I posted what I found out before I knew I could reply direct to you its posted under #83 Good Luck
  • izaclown1izaclown1 Member Posts: 118
    Had to replace the converter on my 2002 TC. When the shutter starts, it is almost too late to change the fluid. I had myine changed at a local shop whose owner was the shop forman at the local L/M before it bellied up and sold out.
  • towncardadtowncardad Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Town Car and on the weekend with my young daughter driving it I felt the shudder and swore we were going over rumble strips. It did this about 4 times in the course of 20 miles and it seemed to happen when the car was going between 3rd and overdrive 4th gear. The local trans shop says no cure except to replace the 4th gear clutches and quoted $1,600 CDN. No service has been done to this transmission and I also wonder if a fluid change and filter might help. It hasn't happened since and I have driven over 100 miles.
  • izaclown1izaclown1 Member Posts: 118
    Converter was not overyly expensive. If fluid change did not fix it, my bet in the TC. That change to OD is where you will feel it most. Mine was not every time, just under certain conditions that progressively became closer to every time.
    If you chose the fluid change, don't let them "Power Flush". When my AOD was power flushed, it blew the dipstick seal & that cost more to repair. We suggest you drop the pan, change the filter, & install new fluid. Drain the torque converter as well.
  • robtxsrobtxs Member Posts: 4
    i am looking at buying a 1991 lincoln town car with 55,000 original miles.When i test drove the car it ran fine as long as i had the transmission in the D position, i put it in OD the transmission would not pull. Can anyone tell me what might be the problem,the car has not been driven much in the last few years
    Hmmmmm.......I don't like the sound of that. 20 year old car, lots of rubber that could be dried out, especially if not driven much. May need more than a fluid change. Best suggestion would be to drive it as much as possible in the D range, and try OD every once in a while, see if it kind of comes out of it. IF not, the good news is, this transmission isn't a fortune to rebuild or replace, and it's a very good one too. You can always drive it in D if you want to as well, you'll just suffer some mileage doing so. Good luck! IF the car is in nice shape, and not expensive, I'd risk it.
    I understand that when you start the car, it will shift into Overdrive @ about 40 mph. Pressing the button on the side of the directional lever locks it out of O Drive, but after the engine is turned Off the transmission will again shift to O Drive.
    i dont recall seeing any button on the directional lever,are you sure the 1991 lincoln towncars have one?
  • towncardadtowncardad Member Posts: 2
    I had a 1990 Town Car and the over drive button was I believe on the end of the transmission shifter.
    If not there, where? :confuse:
    So will this cause the engine to rev up but not allow the car to pull at all?
    So would this allow the engine to rev up but not allow the car to pull at all?
    Before they went to the button on the end of the shift handle, the option was an actual shift position on the indicator on the dash. D321 options on the indicator and the D had an 0 inside it connoting Overdrive. 3 would take it out of OD and put it in regular Drive. With the button on these old 4 speed transmissions, you would see D21. D was overdrive, the button in would take it out of OD and put it in regular Drive, then 2 and 1.
    Understand & remember, but didn't the 1991 Town Car have the button on the end of the Directional Lever?
    Well, that's where I'm a bit fuzzy, because I thought it was 03 or 04 when they came out with that - just not sure.