Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe 2007+

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Original equipment manufacturer."
  • jleatherowjleatherow Member Posts: 5
    This past weekend we bought our first Hyundai. A 2007 Santa Fe SE AWD!

We bought it on Saturday and on Sunday we drove it up to Snowbasin Ski Resort here in Utah and it did AWSOME!! It was -2 degrees F on our way up the snowy canyon. Our Santa Fe did great on the ice and snow. I was able to do a 360 in the parking lot and slam on the brakes without slipping!! It was great, we have had a lot of people tell us how great it looks. My in-laws went to the 2007 car show in Salt Lake on Sunday and said how the Santa Fe looked just as nice or even better as the Acura MDX and the Lexus SUV!! We are happy buyers!! And it only took an hour to fill out the paper work!! :D
  • phatboycphatboyc Member Posts: 23
    I second that motion.

But on the other hand. I briefly looked underneath the car and the lowest peace is the catalytic converter and pipe. Usually skid plates covers oil pan and stuff. Wouldn't do much for us. I am right?
  • pelican19pelican19 Member Posts: 323
    No. Wouldnt help.

Plates are for serious off-road driving. Santa's from the factory should not be off-road with large rocks. Mud, snow and imperfections in the road that do not exceed an approach angle of more than six inches is fine. The drive train can handle it but the tires and suspension will not in its original OEM configuration. Been there, done that. Dented the cat. Woops!
    Well I already changed the tires for some Nokian WR SUV. Love them. Good grip and silent ride.

"approach angle of more than six inches is fine."

Don't we have a clearance of 8.1 inches?
    Yes we do but thats max. You should allow for suspension travel even if you go slow. Unless you dont mind scraping the skirt in front. Been there, and unfortunately done THAT TOO!
  • carritocarrito Member Posts: 38
    I was reading some reviews on the Yahoo site and a lot of people are complaining that the overhead light doesn't turn on when opening the driver's door. I can't believe this is true :cry: any reasons why they did that :confuse:
    Does it turn on when opening other doors? what about a light for the cargo area?
    The only complaints I have read are for the map lights not the overhead light. The map lights do not go on when the doors are opened.

This is a poor design. Plain and simple. Another missing feature is the ability to turn on the interior lights by the driver. I also own the Entourage and both of these features are available in it so you can imagine how annoyed I was when I discovered they were missing in my Santa limited.
  • kp58kp58 Member Posts: 17
    The overhead light turns on when you open the doors but it just isn't over the front seat -- it is over the back seat.
  • sm48430sm48430 Member Posts: 1
    I have noticed the same issue. Low fuel comes on when I can only fill with 15 gal (DTE on trip computer approx 50 miles left). I have driven approx 50 miles past DTE indicating low range (approx 30 miles left). But have never been able to put more than 16.6 gal in tank. Max range on trip computer is 323 miles with mpg at 20.2 (323 miles/20.2 mpg = 16 gals). Does the 2007 SF really have a 19.8 gal fuel tank (with 3 gallons "in reserve"???
    The shop manual claims its capacity is 21.1 US Gal.
  • mrmagoo1mrmagoo1 Member Posts: 15
    I have almost the exact same experience. Perhaps they built in a large safety margin.
    On another note, the weather has gotten colder (NY) and when I first start in AM the windshield vent (defogger?) comes on automatically. Is this normal and does this feature also "heat" lower portion of the windshield (similarly to the rear window defroster when turned on?)
    This is a normal condition to reduce the possibility of condensation on the glass. I can not find any documentation that answers the second part of your question. I will continue researching.
    If the windshield vent button lights up then yes the windshield wiper de-icer is on. If it's just the windshield vent icon in the climate lcd screen, then no.

If you don't have the climate control screen then I don't know.
  • santafe6santafe6 Member Posts: 2
    2007 Santa Fe Limited, which I really like. Dealer cannot answer who to set the Climate Control to get outside air without the A/C going on. AUTO mode, I think, is for variable speed fan -higher further the inside temp is from the thermostat set point. A/C button is obvious. But in OFF, warm air blows for a while at car start up. Seems I can turn the thermostat up, turn the unit OFF, and cooler air will blow, but if I turn the fan up, I think the A/C switches on? Thanks
  • santafe6santafe6 Member Posts: 2
    2007 Santa Fe Limited 3.3V6. The Automatic headlight control is a photocell (I guess) in the black 1 inch diameter plastic "bump" on the front right of glare shield where it joins the windshield. I find the headlights go off to soon at sunrise and too late at dusk - maybe might night vision is failing, but the other cars still have their headlights on when mine go off! It also cycles the lights on and off too much when going under clouds and trees - probably a safety feature when entering tunnels. To solve the first problem, I cover the sensor with a plastic sunglass lens, which I bent with a heatgun to fit a bit and also spray painted lightly to cut down even more on the sensitivity of the sensor. The dealer says there is no adjustment. Anyone know of any possible adjustments? Thanks.
  • kp58kp58 Member Posts: 17
    I notice the cap-like cover to the auxillary plug on back on the console was missing from my fairly new Santa Fe. Stopped by the dealer and they said no problem - they'd order me a new cap. Turns out - they can't get just the cap - they have to replace the entire console if I want a cap for the plug -- so it's on order. Makes no sense that they can just get a cap.
  • floridagal2floridagal2 Member Posts: 14
    We have been looking for a compact/mid-size SUV for over a year now. After careful consideration of the tried and proven Toyota family (the RAV4 is sporty, but too bumpy of a ride, the Toyotal Highlander has a great ride, but boring design), we just loved the look of the Santa Fe and the sporty look. However, we are most disillioned now by Consumer Reports not recommending this car and stating that it had tip ups on Government rollover tests. Is the test data stated in these emails on NHSB more recent than Consumer Reports's data?

We're also concerned with maintenance on this South Korean auto. I see lots of concerns that I don't think should be happening to a new car.

We saw many folks at the car show who only talked about how much they could save by buying the Santa Fe versus a Toyota.
    Since we keep cars forever (at least 10 years), we are not making money the biggest issue.

Any comments appreciated for we sure need to decide soon.

Thanks and please don't be offended.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    I am not quite sure where you got your info, but I just checked my Feb 07 copy of CR (and their website)and all they have for the 07 Santa Fe yet is a short first look. Their closing comment is "a pleasant car at a very competitive price". They have it scheduled for a full report in the May 07 issue.

Regarding the rollover rating, I just checked the NHTSA web site (www.safercar.gov) and the 07 Santa Fe is rated 4 stars in rollovers. That is the same ratings as the Rav4, CR-V, CX-7, etc.

As far as maintenance, I can't speak for the Santa Fe, but my wife and I own an 04 Sonata and an 05 Tucson and for my money they can't be beat. I have owned domestics and other imports in my 35+ years of car ownership and these two cars have been the most trouble-free of all the cars we have owned. Neither vehicle has ever left us stranded or cost us anything other than normal maintenance during our ownership. Would we consider buying Hyundais again? Without a doubt, YES!

As always, your mileage may vary. ;)
  • floridagal2floridagal2 Member Posts: 14
    You know, I went back to my 2006-2007 CR New Car Buying Guide and they are referring to the 2006 Santa Fe, not the 2007 as I had thought. Here's what got me concerned on Page 147, "We do not recommend the 2006 Santa Fe because of tip-ups in government rollover tests. So it looks as if the 2007 redesign took care of this.

The Santa Fe has a much nicer ride than the RAV4 and is truly sporty. After hearing your comments, perhaps we should look at the Tucson, also. Thanks for your confidence and clearing up this issue for me. JD Powers sure gives these cars good marks.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Thanks for your confidence and clearing up this issue for me

You're welcome and I'm sure whatever you buy will be a good choice for you. ;)
    My wife's mother lives in northern PA. Brrrrrrrr. The trip is about 105 miles from our home in Staten Island, NY. We left Friday night and it was a pretty quiet trip until we got about a mile from the house. She lives on one of the mountains and the access road is pretty steep. When we got to the entrance to the road a few trucks and cars were all lined up off to the side. When I got out to see what was up I was told a bad patch of ice and snow was keeping everyone from getting up the road and they were waiting for a salt truck. The last person to try failed horribly and slid into a 2 foot ditch. Bummer. You know I gave it a try. I have to tell you the AWD really broke a sweat. It got real hairy for a moment but we made it. I was very impressed. When we arrived I began to tell them what had just happened, they were amazed. Just as we were almost finished unloading the luggage the salt truck driver pulled up and asked "is that the truck that climbed the hill without assistance?" I proudly replied yes. We spent the next hour talking about the Santa Fe over coffee.
    nice story Pelican; I bet you wished the press was there to interview you :shades:
    Well I finally had a chance to go in the trails with our new Santa Fe. Had a blast! I tried to test my theory of having the ESC on. Went up a icy hill, stopped and tried to start without the ESC. Was spinning. Enabled the ESC. Was still spinning. Tried again, and up I went. The only times I was able to go up that hill from a stop in the middle was with the ESC. But since I tried it more with it on then off I'm not sure it was the system helping. The ESC warning light in the dash came on only when I was slipping and going nowhere...

So after a full day I'm still not sure. I guess more testing is in order! ;)

I have posted some pics in a Hyundai forum.
    link title
    ESC will help you when cornering or high-speed maneuvers to keep you on the intended path; it's an extension of antilock brake technology. not for going up an icy hill.

if you locked the AWD to 50-50% then that's a different story.
    The AWD lock was always on. I was only playing with the ESC button to see if there was a difference. If the ESC can independently apply brake when slipping in a corner. Then why not on a hill. Is it not active below a certain speed?
    In the center of the truck we have a YAW RATE/LATERAL G SENSOR. The ECS Module monitors the yaw rate sensor, wheel speed sensors and the steering angle sensor, making adjustments as needed.

ESC reduces unintended understeer(plowing) or oversteer(fishtailing). The sensors monitor differences between the driver's intended path when actual turn is more than intended. Brakeforce is applied to correct. *(SOURCE: 07 Santa Fe Shop Manual).

Based on the conditions you have described the AWD/Traction Control got you up that hill not the ESC.
  • cliffymoncliffymon Member Posts: 5
    07 Santa Fe SE 3.3 V6. This vehicle could not be any better for the price! Solid in all respects. Not a rattle to be heard. Quiet and comfortable. Feels like a much more expensive ride, like Lexus or Acura or Beemer! Just got to 2,500 miles after trip to So. Florida from So. Carolina. At 71mph almost the whole way, I got 26mpg. I am thrilled! Stereo rocks! Seats comfortable and lumbar support adjuster works well. The vehicle looks like a million bucks. I am so proud to own this outstanding product. Only some very minor issues with fabric not cut properly on driver door panel, and a few threads thereabouts. Great storage. Would be nice to have a retractable cover over the storage area to hide items though. The interior light issue is no big deal. Are we so lazy that we can't push the map light button if we need the extra lighting?
    Good info. Thanks pelican19.

But since the Traction Control is also disable when removing the ESC. One question remains. In my situation described above. Is it better to have it on or off?
  • eggtarteggtart Member Posts: 7
    Insideline link title comments on "busy" ride of 18" wheels. I would guess that 16"'er might also corner better due to lower centre of mass, but have not myself driven 18".

My Canadian 3.3L GL's only equipped with 16", which appear aesthetically adequately masculine. It feels noticeably more car-like in ride stability and comfort than when i test-drove the nissan x-trail, ford explorer & toyota rav4. For a mid-sized SUV, i find it nimble in city darting and parking, and robustly quiet at 120km/h.

On unrelated issue of cabin lighting: middle cabin light illuminates automatically with door opening if the "door" button next to it is left depressed.
    I checked the specs for all models and the vehicle's height is the same for 16 or 18" tires, the difference is that with the 16" you get more sidewall rubber. center of mass should be the same for all models.

I also live in Canada eggtart. how close to the invoice price you got yours? was it easy to bring the price down? which Province?

thanks
    Thats a good question and I can find several people from each camp who will make a good argument for each. IMO I would leave it on. I have put the truck through many different off road conditions except sand and have not found a need to disable it.
    Carrito & everyone,

What effect(s) has the additional sidewall rubber?

After comparing all small-mid suv's (excl those >40K), I seized on the salesman quote of $200 above the hyundaicanada.com price quote for Alberta. I don't know how this compares to other buyers' - welcome anyone's comments.

I find my 3.3 GL without any options has powerful, confidently purring engine, tiptronic facility, nimble and stable turning, prompt cabin heating system (even in base model), leading stabilisation and safety technology (i think that it also has reinforced cabin cage - can anyone confirm this?), nicely balanced hatch door, steering wheel audio controls, tinted windows, vanity light. Lights extinguish when remove ignition key. Despite negative reports (see inside line), for my driving style, brakes are able. Standard sound system - according to inside line review link title - is better than cr-v or rav4's. Less fuel-efficient than cr-v, but they're of different subclasses. Less sporty than cx-7, but more fuel-efficient, spacious and versatile design. With 4000km on odometer, i measured fuel economy of 9.5L/100km in mountain highway, mostly 110-120km/h driving. Interior more classy and control panel more ergonomic than rav4's.

A few irks: D pillars hinder rear view when reversing, worry of effect of the elements on undercarriage spare tire, can't understand difference between Air Con (automatically illuminates when cold start yet warm air still emanates from ducts when i turn it off) and Air Con Max buttons, some arguably attractive elements of korean version missing (mp3 player plug-in, front wheel signal lights, cell phone pocket in gearbox, more stylish rear lights, diesel engine).

Most contributors to this forum seem well-acquainted with the santa fe 2007's salient features and its competitiveness (no longer merely a "value" buy), but sales is of course less about the truth than the market's perception, & seems to me that hyundai should focus on campaign to disseminate an unabashed image conveying it's intelligent design, quality, technology and comfortable driving dynamics - catch words used in the korean ad link title (click on any photo in "Gallery", then on "TV-CF"), which hit the mark for me - it polished my perception of the new hyundai image. Cdn magazine santa fe 2007 ads i've seen are neither catchy nor suggest its essence. Also, a Canwest (Oct 2006) and at least one other review of cuv's neglected to even include santa fe 2007 in it's list.
    $200 above the hyundaicanada.com price quote for Alberta
    you mean $200 above MSRP?
    Don't pay over MSRP! You should be able to get 2000$ off MSRP.
    "i think that it also has reinforced cabin cage - can anyone confirm this?"

This is what the brochure said.
    "Structural Integrity
    The Santa Fe’s reinforced unibody construction is intelligently engineered to absorb collision energy. High-tensile steel provides solid structural integrity, while front and rear crumple zones, bodyside reinforcements, hood-buckling creases and an energy absorbing steering column help protect you in an impact from any direction."
  • mrmagoo1mrmagoo1 Member Posts: 15
    I had oil/filter changed on my '07 SF yesterday, 4,200 miles.
    The manual calls for 5.5 qts w/filter change. When I checked the oil level @ home it was about 1/2 qt over fill line. I was charged for 5 qts.
    My question is: has anyone changed their own oil/filter themselves. It's not the money, its just making sure it's right and also more convenient for me, retired, like to work on cars. The oil filter is a drop in cartridge and I'm not quite sure what the tightening limitation on the canister cap would be.
    Or, do owners take their cars to "quick lubes" for oil changes? Do these places have this particular filter on hand? Does this satisfy the warranty restrictions?
    I'm sorry to bore alot of people with this, but I think oil/filters are critical to any car. I've been searching the web for the procedure with this new filter, but to no avail. Anyone one w/info, it would be appreciated. If you want to email me direct (I don't think this topic intrigues everyone) pls do so.
    Thanks for all the great info on this site.
    CAUTION: THIS IS FOR REFERENCE ONLY! CHECK WITH A CERTIFIED HYUNDAI TECH FOR VERIFICATION. CONTINUE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

OIL AND FILTER

CAUTION
    Prolonged and repeated contact with mineral oil will result in the removal of natural fats from the skin, leading to dryness, irritation and dermatitis. In addition, used engine oil contains potentially harmful contaminants which may cause skin cancer.
    Exercise caution in order to minimize the length and frequency of contact of your skin to used oil. Wear protective clothing and gloves. Wash your skin thoroughly with soap and water, or use water-less hand cleaner, to remove any used engine oil. Do not use gasoline, thinners, or solvents.
    In order to preserve the environment, used oil and used oil filter must be disposed of only at designated disposal sites.
    Park the car on level ground. Start the engine and let it warm up.
    Turn the engine off and open the hood. Remove the engine cover.
    Wait for 5minutes after loosening the oilfilter cap by turning it counterclockwise with SST(09263-3C100) to drain well the oil in the oil filter.

Drain the engine oil.
    Remove the oil filler cap.
    After lifting the car, remove the oil drain plug and drain the oil into a container.
    Replace oil filter.
    Disconnect the oil filter cap from oil filter body.
    Remove the oil filter element.
    Check and clean the oil filter installation surface.
    Check the part number of the new oil filter is as same as old one.
    Install new oil filter element(A) and two new O-rings(B).

Apply clean engine oil to the new O-rings.Lightly screw the oil filter cap into place, and tighten it until the O-ring contacts the seat.
    Finally tighten it again by specified tightening torque.
    Tightening torque
    24.50Nm (2.5kgf.m, 18.08lb-ft)
    Refill with engine oil.
    Install the oil drain plug with a new gasket.
    Tightening torque
    34.3 ~ 44.1Nm (3.5 ~ 4.5kgf.m, 25.3 ~ 32.5lb-ft)
    Fill with fresh engine oil, after remove the engine oil level gauge.
    Capacity
    Total : 6.4L(6.76U.S.qus,5.63lmp.qts)Oil pan : 5.5L(5.81U.S.qus,4.84lmp.qts)Oil filter : 0.4L(0.42U.S.qus,0.35lmp.qts)Drain and refill : 5.2L(5.49U.S.qus,4.58lmp.qts)
    Install the oil filler cap and oil level gauge.
    Start the engine and check to be sure no oil is leaking from the drain plug or oil filter.
    Recheck engine oil level.
    I also sent the shop manual docs to your carspace address...
    Today it was 13 degrees. Brrrrr. Went out to start the truck to take the kids to school. Decided not to warm it up. Very sluggish in reverse until it warmed up. Otherwise smooth sailing. Resolution: WARM IT UP at least a minute. :)
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    +13F? It is Minus 13F here right now (-25C) . Just came back from training in my daugther Tucson. It took some time to warm up the cabin...
  • antoninbantoninb Member Posts: 49
    Hi all,

At the risk of inviting considerable ridicule, I'll freely admit that I'm Canadian. Anyway, I've noticed in the case of the Santa Fe that there's a considerable difference in terms of trim levels and equipment between U.S. and Canadian versions. In Canada, the GLS is the highest trim level, where in the U.S., it's the lowest. One thing I've particularly noticed is audio equipment. With the U.S. versions, there's considerable choice, including the ultimate package with CD changer and 10 speakers. In Canada, we get a lowly 6 speaker system with single CD across all trim levels. I'm really surprised why this is. Any thoughts? Doesn't this complicate things for the factory? Thanks!
  • 07xle07xle Member Posts: 177
    Ask Hyundai Canada Marketing......

Of course it is more complicated with the models but the Canadian audio non-option makes it a little easier.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    At the risk of inviting considerable ridicule ...

There is no such risk. We have members from all over the world. Pretty neat, eh? :)

tidester, host
  • doublehdoubleh Member Posts: 21
    i feel your pain. i tried to get my dealer to order a 6 cd changer from the US and install it for me, but they said the wiring was different. guess those bone heads in korea don't think canadians like 6 cd changers.
  • antoninbantoninb Member Posts: 49
    i feel your pain. i tried to get my dealer to order a 6 cd changer from the US and install it for me, but they said the wiring was different. guess those bone heads in korea don't think canadians like 6 cd changers.

Agreed - difficult to understand. Unless the dealer can do a stereo swap at minimal cost, I'd say the new Mitsubishi is looking pretty good.
    guess those bone heads in korea don't think canadians like 6 cd changers.

actually SF is build in Alabama not Korea. 6 CD changer is not the only feature we don't get in Canada and Hyundai is not the only car maker that strips down some nice features. With Nissan we don't get the FAST key just to mention an example. I believe this is because car prices are already higher than in the States and to reduce the difference they remove some nice features; why not just make them optional? :confuse:
    Miscalculated b/c cdn sales tax (gst). Considering this factor, i paid ~Cdn$1000 under msrp.

Thanks for cabin cage reinforcement info. Does anyone know whether this is effective in roll-over i.e. i heard that volvo suv will protect occupants in such a scenario?
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    You can go buy your Santa Fe south of the border and save thousands of $$$; and get the options you like... ;)