Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe 2007+

Comments

• dbz36dbz36 Member Posts: 5
    Good photos and descriptions. Did you buy your mudguards through a Hyundai dealer? If not, where did you get them? They seem to match the vehicle contours very well.
  • davesuvdavesuv Member Posts: 149
    They are made by Hyundai (well, actually their supplier) for the 2007 Santa Fe. I imagine you can order them from your dealer. I ordered mine online for less than $60 (including shipping) from the Hyundai Accessory Store operated by Gary Rome Hyundai - www.hyundaiaccessorystore.com

Really easy to install. No drilling required as they use existing screws. Now I need to go out and find some mud :)
  • drwoodrdrwoodr Member Posts: 88
    davesuv, after seeing your photos, I stopped on the way home tonight and picked up mudguards for my Santa Fe. I'll get them on this weekend. dbz36, they are $26 a pair at the dealer, and I was sent a 10% off coupon by the dealer last week.

Now I have my eye on the all-weather floor mats they had at the parts counter :)
  • 4pmg4pmg Member Posts: 12
    Has anyone actually had this issue (map lights)fixed yet? Are we all getting the run around? Also, I have been waiting over six weeks for a repacement part (inside door handle. The dealer replaced it with the wrong part. A new one was ordered six weeks ago? Are we all waiting this long for parts for our SantaFe's?
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    I can't find any information in the brochure or on the Hyundai web site. Does the Santa Fe have any factory-installed anti-theft gear? Thanks.

- Mike
    One thing that has me still on the fence is that the Santa Fe isn't available with a factory-installed navigation system. Has anyone here had an aftermarket system installed? If so, I'd be very interested to know:

- What system did you go with?
    - Where is the screen mounted?
    - Does your system replace the factory stereo's head unit?
    - Are you satisfied with the system's performance?
    - How much did it cost?

Thanks very much.

- Mike
    My Santa Fe AWD Limited came standard with the "Keyless Entry System w/Alarm" according to my window sticker. 30 seconds after the doors are locked, the alarm arms itself. Pretty standard operation compared to other keyless entry systems I've owned.

As far as I can tell, it does not come standard with the Immobilizer System, although the owners manual describes this system as an option. This system uses special keys that the car senses when the key is near the ignition and turns off the immobilizer. The keys that came with my car match the picture of the standard key in the manual and not the immobilizer key (which has an 'M' on it).
    After doing a bit of research, I can confirm your assertion that U.S. versions do not include an immobilizer. There's actually an indicator light near the top left corner of the instrument cluster that comes on briefly with the rest of the warning lights in immobilizer-equipped Santa Fes. This light does not come on in the Santa Fes that I checked.
  • caribou2caribou2 Member Posts: 6
    Hey Mike,
    I purchased a 2007 Santa Fe 2 months ago and it does have the anti-theft immobilizer (a computer chip or something embedded in the key). I have the Canadian Santa Fe and I know there are certain differences i.e., we don't have the TPMS or the illuminated ignition key ring.
    Good info, caribou2. One can only wonder why they build the U.S. and Canadian versions so differently from each other!
  • jtajta Member Posts: 17
    My new 2007 Santa Fe is just over 1 week old. My salesman, who I must preface by saying was not a "reliable" source of information, told me there was a "type" of anti-theft built into the car. I do NOT have the key depicted in the owners manual, with an "M" on it. He tried to explain that I have an anti-theft system that arms when I use the Keyless entry to lock the doors. If you were to try and start the car after locking it won't start. (ie...open the door with the key after locking with the keyless entry, it won't allow the car to be started, unless you unlock the door with the keyless entry....) I have not had time to investigate how correct he was with this feature. I can say that I noticed if I hit the "lock" button on the Keyfob 2x, the horn beeps, and a small red light on the dash flashes. It only comes on when I hit the "lock" button twice. I did not remember reading anything about this in the manual(?), but I may have missed it.

So far, the car is great. :)
    I know my system arms when I push the "lock" button once. Pushing the "lock" button the second time is just for a verification "honk". Actually, I believe the system activates 30 seconds after the "lock" button is pressed....just in case you change your mind and go back to the car for something.
  • edmac1edmac1 Member Posts: 36
    As you have probably found out by now, if you lock the door with the remote and then unlock it with the key, it will start without any further action. As you said, that salesman was not very reliable. Few of them are.
  • dmarzanodmarzano Member Posts: 3
    I live and southwestern PA and not sure if I would need the AWD. However, I know on some SUV's FWD does not do well in the snow. I only ever had FWD sedans and have never had a problem in the snow. Any thoughts on if AWD is really needed?
    I'm sure the FWD will do just fine...the ESC and TCS work quite well in the snow. Although, I did buy the AWD. I took both models out for long test drives during one of our snow storms (Winterpeg). There was aprox. 6-8 inches of snow and lots of ice (especially at intersections). What I found was the AWD had way better traction pulling out of intersections when the light turned green. They both went through the fresh snow very well....you could feel a bit of vibration on the FWD (as the ESC and TCS kicked in) on the heavy snow. The AWD just purred through it all...like a summer drive. My wife felt the same when she drove them....I'm not sure if part of this was just "in our heads" but even the cornering seemed to have more control.
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Member Posts: 335
    I also bought the AWD SE model. The price was right and where I live, you can get a few inches or a few feet! It also seems more stable on wet rain slick roads in the AWD version. As others have mentioned, the AWD does not kick in until traction is lost in the front. It was great this winter! (But then I always buy 4 wheel drives...worth it since my area is also hilly)
  • ppborcebppborceb Member Posts: 61
    Davsuv:
    Nice job and it looks great!
    I would like to know where you bought it and the price paid including rebate, taxes, registration, dealer conveyance fees, and any other miscellaneous charges. Thanks.
    PPB
    Hi PPB,

Thanks for your feedback. I love my Santa Fe. You can find a lot more info on prices at the "prices paid" Santa Fe discussion board. Briefly, I bought mine in Toledo, OH (Brown Hyundai) last October. Paid $28,904 + $250(document fee) + $15(various filing fees) + $10(30 day tag) + $1968(sales tax) for a total out-the-door expense of $31,147. They did not have any rebates at that time.

I've also purchased the cargo mat to protect the back floor. Even though they say it's just for the 5 passenger version, it still fits nicely in the 7 passenger model. The side flaps just stick up because of the different side wall contours they use with the Touring package.

2007 Santa Fe AWD Limited with Premium and Touring packages + Floor Mats
    Dark Cherry Red with beige leather interior
    I've also purchased the cargo mat to protect the back floor. Even though they say it's just for the 5 passenger version, it still fits nicely in the 7 passenger model. The side flaps just stick up because of the different side wall contours they use with the Touring package.

Dave, what can you tell me about the cargo mat? Is it a Hyundai mat that you bought through your dealer? What is it made of? How expensive was it?

Thanks.

- Mike
    Hi Mike,

The cargo mat is called a "cargo tray" by Hyundai. I bought the official Hyundai cargo tray from my dealer. It lists for $65, but I used a 10% off coupon that my parts department had online. It's black, made of heavy gauge semi-flexible plastic (almost has a slight rubber feel to it), and fits perfectly to cover the floor behind the second row seats. As I said in my prior post, it's really made for the 5 passenger version, but will work without any problem in the 7 passenger model with the touring package. It has two built-in "hinges" (places where it's designed to fold). One is aligned with the small storage compartment at the rear of the floor space, so you can easily lift it up if needed with the cargo mat in place. The other hinge is placed so the mat will easily fold for access to the large rear storage space in the 5 passenger Santa Fe.

I've found it invaluable during this spring season. We can pick up flats of plants, pots, and bags of potting soil without worry of getting the rear carpeting dirty. The mat easily lifts out so you can shake it clean, or if needed, hose it off. Also, the sides are slightly raised, so if you spill a small amount of any liquid you are transporting, it will stay contained on the mat. I've already gotten my money's worth out of it and it's only 6 months old.

2007 Santa Fe AWD Limited with Premium and Touring packages
    Dark Cherry Red with beige leather interior.
  • antoninbantoninb Member Posts: 49
    Good info, caribou2. One can only wonder why they build the U.S. and Canadian versions so differently from each other!

I'm similarly mystified! In Canada, even the most expensive trim level of Santa Fe comes with nothing more than a single CD player. No hi-zoot stereo options like the U.S.-destined Santa Fe has. Very odd given what they're putting in some of the Outlanders, Rav4's, etc.
    Cool! Thanks for the info, Dave. I'm going to check it out.

- Mike
  • mikeya50mikeya50 Member Posts: 5
    What are the pros & cons of having your vehicle doors lock automatically when the vehicle begins to move.

Getting my new GLS, seven seater, Canadian model next week and I'm trying to decide if I want the automatic door locks activated or not. Thank you.
  • lv2drvlv2drv Member Posts: 132
    I had mine programmed because:
    1. My Intrepid had been programmed and I was used to it.
    2. I live in a relatively safe area, but I "feel" even safer. I know someone can't yank the passenger door open and pull out my purse; or open the hatch and take something out of the cargo area.
    3. I guess if I had small children, that would be a factor, too. I wouldn't want them to open the door by mistake. My brother did that on the interstate years ago. What a nightmare!

That's about it. I can't think of any cons.
  • roudy1roudy1 Member Posts: 36
    lv2drv-the auto lock won't prevent the doors from being opened from the inside. The rear doors do have a child lock which you can activate--then the doors cannot be opened from the inside.
    God forbid but I can think of one con, if your involved in an accident, the lock doors would make it more difficult to be extracted by your rescuers, especially if time was crucial. I guess I think of those things being a police officer.
    Thanks for letting me know. I rarely have kids in the car, but it's good to have the info for when I do. How are they activated?
  • roudy1roudy1 Member Posts: 36
    Just open the rear door and there's a sliding switch on the door by the latch.
    For safety reasons, you should always drive with your doors locked. This helps prevent the doors from opening in an accident and reduces the risk of passenger ejection (just Google "passenger ejection door locks" for lots of info). By programing the locks to work automatically, you're just insuring that this one extra safety step is always performed.

As to rescue from a locked car, it is very easy for rescue crews to break a window and obtain access. In fact, everyone should be carrying an auto escape hammer close by in their car, should you need to quickly exit a damaged car with stuck doors. These usually have a seatbelt cutter included with them (Google "auto escape hammer"). I keep mine in the top compartment of the center console.
    Thanks, good point.
  • pelican19pelican19 Member Posts: 323
    I currently own the 2007 3.3 AWD Limited Santa Fe 5 seater. I bought my wife the 2007 Entourage SE. Turns out its too big for her and the mpg was not up to snuff around town. She fell in love with my Limited but needs third row for the kids. I always buy silver to hide scratches and dirt but she always wanted a dark paint job and interior. Her birthday is coming up so I got her an AWD Limited Dark Cherry Red with the triple black interior with touring package. This version is absolutely stunning. I really did not think I would like it but its great. She now has her color, seven passenger and good mpg SUV. The Entourage had 11k miles on it. The dealer gave me $19K toward the New Santa Fe. I was expecting a bit more but what the heck. I knew going in the re-sale value was not as good as Honda or toyota. In less than a year I lost 3200 off the original purchase price.
    Pelican19, you are such a sweetheart. Are you from Louisiana by chance? I was born and raised there; but now I live in Iowa. You didn't say what her reaction was to the gift. And if you have the money, 3200 isn't so bad.
  • pelican19pelican19 Member Posts: 323
    Born and raised in Brooklyn, New York. Now living in Staten Island. She went absolutely nuts over it. To see her eyes light up was worth every penny.

A few years ago I was diagnosed with a tumor on the brain. Recovery was very tough. I had to pick up the family and move to Philadelphia for the surgery. Our daughter was 11 and our son was six months old. My wife never left my side through it all. Getting her the Santa Fe was the least I could do for her. She truly is my hero...
  • hppd432hppd432 Member Posts: 6
    Finally got my mud guards and bra yesterday from the dealer. Love them :-)Mud guards easy to install. Bra, a little tricky but 30 min should work.
    Worried about if the bra will fade the paint over time. Has anyone ever used a bra and will the paint fade?
    I will post a pic this week.
  • proudnewdadproudnewdad Member Posts: 12
    The only con I have with the auto door locks is they do not unlock when the car is put in Park. You must manually press the door unlock before exiting the car - to get your groceries and baby out of the back. I've had the Santa Fe for 2 months now and love it. It is sooo smooth on the highway - cruising at 90-95 highway feels like you sitting still. 2007 Santa Fe Natural Khaki FWD Premium :shades:
  • jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Member Posts: 167
    I think these days they do that on purpose - for the same safety reason that when entering the car, one click on the remote opens the driver door only, and another 2 clicks for the rest of the doors - helps prevent unwanted perps getting into the car when you enter.

Likewise, when you stop - your passengers can open their doors from the inside, and without letting anyone else in. The rear child locks are activated if you don't want the kids to accidenmtally pull the door lever while the car is moving, so they would have to wait for you to manually open the doors, anyway

I can see how it could be onsidered an inconvenience, with child-locks on the rear doors, or for groceries - I use the remote for those circumastances. You have to use it to lock up anyway.
    My wife's doors on her Lexus RX350 automatically unlocked when she put it into park. She had them turn this "feature" off since it made her feel insecure when pulling into a parking spot when it was dark or unknown people were close by.

I've gotten into the habit of pressing the unlock button on my Santa Fe whenever I exit the car and know I'm going to need access at another door.

P.S. I've never found a road with a speed limit of 90 to test my Santa Fe at that speed. I think I've read about a few western states that have no upper speed limits on certain roads.

• ykangykang Member Posts: 88
    "In less than a year I lost 3200 off the original purchase price."

I think it is fairly normal. I had to let my 2005 Accord EX-V6 go due to numerous rattles within a year too. I paid 23500 before tax and received $19000 after 11MO 10800 miles. :cry:
  • edmac1edmac1 Member Posts: 36
    Proudnewdad says "It is sooo smooth on the highway - cruising at 90-95 highway feels like you sitting still"
    Dave says "I've never found a road with a speed limit of 90 to test my Santa Fe at that speed."

Actually I think it's possible that some people have been known to fudge the speed limit a little bit, just for test purposes. I just drove down I-95 from Baltimore in my Santa Fe. Speed limit along there is 65. You had to cruise at about 75 just to keep up with the traffic. I did notice that at about 80 there is a perceptible increase in wind noise.
    I recall having a Mazda RX-7 years ago, and made the mistake of purchasing a black bra for it. I did find that the paint becomes discoloured. I also found that the constant vibration of the bra against the paint at highway speeds wore the clear coat off the paint in some areas.
  • retiredpilotretiredpilot Member Posts: 16
    Has anyone ever asked Hyundai why the do not offer a 5 passenger version of the GL AWD Premium. I really like the options on the Premium but I don't need 7 seats.
    Has anyone ever asked Hyundai why the do not offer a 5 passenger version of the GL AWD Premium. I really like the options on the Premium but I don't need 7 seats.

Sadly, probably the same logic that caused them to only offer a single CD player, with no mp3 player connectivity in all trim levels including GLS.
  • bellefantbellefant Member Posts: 8
    Your post was really helpful. I bought a hitch and wiring kit from etrailer.com also. The only thing is that my Sante Fe has a factory two hook bolted to one side that has one bolt through from the inside of the frame. Did you have this issue also?
  • retiredpilotretiredpilot Member Posts: 16
    I would really appreciate an answer to the following question. I have searched high and low for the info but to no avail.
    I will be towing a 18 ft travel trailer (light weight, max fully loaded will be about 2300 lbs, hitch weight around 250 lbs. Does the Santa Fe come equipped with a trailer towing package (transmission cooler, air shocks, etc) or do these have to be added by the dealer. A far as I can tell these necessities for trailer towing are not part of the "trailer hitch" package.
    Thanks to all
  • gwillygwilly Member Posts: 51
    I too tow a relatively light tent trailer (1800) fully laden with our 07' Santa FE AWD with touring package. It has 3rd row and was manufactured 11/06 which included tranny cooler and supposed pre-wiring which I resolved myself.

I too have a large amount of tongue weight with trailer at 220 pounds and all the necessary camping equipment. Air shocks would be great for our application however I haven't found a direct replacement shock for this. Air bags were discussed but they involve too much work and they may or may not work as designed.

My only solution, it seems, would to measure the unladen Sante Fe rear shock distance bolt to bolt, then remove shock and bring it into a knowledgeable auto supply store to get the correct size. It would be nice if Hyundai had this feature on the touring package, similar to the Suzuki XL-7, which has auto leveling rear air shocks for 3rd row models.

If anyone has gotten air shocks please post what model and where purchased. :)

Thanks for all the info here. A link below shows my setup.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f123fc7/2!make=Hyundai&model=Santa Fe&ed_makeindex=.f123fc7
    Hi Bellefant,

I did not have any issue with a pre-existing bolt in the frame. Two threaded holes were ready and waiting on each side, eager to accept my hitch attachment bolts. What is the function of the "factory two hook" that is bolted into one of your holes? I still haven't hooked up the wiring kit, since I use the hitch mainly for my bike rack.

Dave

8/1/06 build date
  • bellefantbellefant Member Posts: 8
    I have been looking around and I am pretty sure it is what they used to attach it to the truck it was shipped on. It is jsut a piece of metal witha big hole in it, but I can't get it off. It screws into the two holes on the passenger side where I would bolt in the trailer hitch. I may post a pic soon, since I have no clue how to go about getting around this problem.
    Thanks
    Charles
    If that is what it is...the dealer should have taken it off and should take it off now, at NO CHARGE (Dealer prep that they chg YOU for). I have never heard of a special hook used to transport vehicles...would be interested in the Pic

I have come to a decision about towing and my 07 SF. I have the Touring Pkg w/ "Trailer pre wiring and trans cooler etc" however it seems that the suspension on the SF is only up to towing very light loads....No Hyundai hitch for me I guess...especially not the absurd $550 pkg that Hyundai wants for their kit. Cheaper to borrow a truck the few times I need it. If it were reasonable, I would install it just for the convenience but......Not at that price. The after market solution is just not worth the trouble of removing the rear liners etc and having a battle with Hyundai if something electrical happens and they blame the 3rd party wiring harness ......BAH
    It has now been over 1 week since I had the map light fix installed. I have received a call from the dealer and today a call from Hyundaiusa asking if I was satisfied...They both got a BIG YES. Damn...they can be so good when they want to! :shades:
    Both Hyundai and Santa Fe have added another feather to their caps by Hyundai having the most leaders in Strategic Vision's Total Quality Index and the 2007 Santa Fe winning the small SUV segment. Of course for those of us who already own a 2007 Santa Fe, this is old news :shades:

For the details see here: The 2007 Total Quality Awards