Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe 2007+

Comments

• lv2drvlv2drv Member Posts: 132
    Specifically, they have to lower the "ceiling" for the sunroof to fit without raising the roof line.
  • mcq1mcq1 Member Posts: 103
    He usually doesn't wear hats unless he is in his truck. I think that is a man thing. He just can't wear them in the SF. I am a future buyer but I have already tested one and the Santa Fe is awesome. I saw a deep red color one yesterday. It looked beautiful. I am stuck with the khaki color. I want it with the black leather interior. I am getting a 2008.
    Here's the fundamental question, and it may have already been answered: Who is the primary driver? The SF is "mine" in that I'm the primary driver; but it belongs to both of us. I wanted my husband to drive it because he is the one who drives on long trips. So I wanted him to be happy with it. He doesn't mind not wearing his cap while driving. You will absolutely love this car (that's what I call it, because that's all I've ever owned). You will like the khaki because scratches, dirt and dust won't be as noticeable. I'm really happy for you and I can't wait for you to get it so I can hear how happy you are!

I drive the Golden Beige (beautiful) with beige interior, Limited FWD w/sunroof and xm :shades:
    Yeah I would be the primary driver but it will belong to both of us. I like the beige as well but I am not sure about the beige interior. I have 2 yorkies. Does it get dirty?
    I pretty much want the same thing you have the limited/fwd with the sunroof and upgraded stereo.
    I have read tons of reviews by experts and consumers and everyone seems to really like it. I haven't seen to many negative reports. I love the looks of it. Of course looks is not everything but it helps.
    Thanks for your best wishes.
    Like any dark interior, the dust will show up more quickly. I have also found the beige interior in summer is cooler than a dark interior. I have one of those California Dusters for the interior and you could clean it in a snap. We have a husky, but we don't take him anywhere due to the leather. The only problem I have with dirt is, of course, the driver-side floor board and we got WeatherTech mats. And the door thresholds get dirty. I use a Mr. Clean pad to clean these. I think I need to get a step or something to make getting in easier.

I don't have the Infinity. But, what I do have sounds great IMO. I have never liked any of our cars as much as I do this one. Our last was an Intrepid and I liked the looks and comfort, but it wasn't as much fun to drive as the SF. I love how quiet it is, the view, the storage, XM and the sunroof. It was a must; I've always wanted one. Too bad it's been too sticking hot to use it. But, the air cools quickly and I get about 20 mpg average city/hwy. I better stop, I can't say enough good things about it! Have fun!!!
    Is okay..I understand. Gee whiz I like it and I don't even have one. I am so glad to hear you are getting 20 mpg. I was looking at the Rav and the CRV because the gas mileage was better but I cannot see myself driving either one of them. They are so small. We are very active people with dogs and we like to take long trips once in a while. So here I am going for the Santa Fe instead.
    I might go for the khaki with the black interior just because of the dogs. The green one with black might be nice as well. Thanks for all the information.
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    I know what you mean. Before I bought my Limited AWD with Premium Package I looked at a lot of competitors including the CR-V and Rav4; nothing came close to the Santa Fe for the money. IMO it even beats out a lot of vehicles that are considerably more expensive. Every time I drive it I'm amazed at how enjoyable it is to drive. This is coming from a diehard "car guy" who also has a current generation Corvette in the garage!

As for colors, I looked at 'em all before deciding on Steel Gray/Black. Personally, I'm not too big on beige so I ruled it out. I like the black but the gray is very nice, too. Both black and gray give you the light gray inside pillars and headliner as well as black-grained (as opposed to brown) "wood" trim on the dash. It's actually very attractive. A few killer color combos include:

- Dark Cherry Red/black
    - Slate Blue/black or gray
    - Natural Khaki/black
    - Deepwater Blue/black or gray
    - Steel Gray/black or gray
    - Golden Beige/black

Good luck with your purchase!
    I agree with you 100%. I even looked at the Outlander but somehow the interior didn't do it for me and my husband was not crazy about the aluminum roof for whatever reason. WOW I think I would love the black-grained wood trim versus the brown. Thanks for the tip. I think the natural khaki with black might do it for me.
    Until we buy ours I just have to look for them on the road. I am set on the 2008 model because I want the upgraded stereo without the rear DVD and third row seating. I don't plan on getting the NAVI. The only thing I would like to have is bluetooth but oh well is not something I have to have.
    Thanks for the info.
  • collins96collins96 Member Posts: 6
    Hi,
    Does anyone know if the headlights will turn off by themselves if accidentally left in the "on" position? My previous car used to have a chime to alert me that I left my lights on, but my Santa Fe doesn't. Is this a defect? Should there be some kind of warning?

I've accidentally left my lights on a couple of times now, and I didn't notice until after I returned to the car and started driving again (it had been around 30-45 minutes both times). I had turned them on manually due to some stormy weather, and when I returned to the car it had lightened up outside, so I didn't notice if the lights were on or not. After I drove a few minutes, I glanced at my steering column, and saw the "lights on" on the headlight shaft. It gave me a sick feeling! I don't like to use the "auto" setting, b/c my lights don't turn on when it's storming or just starting to get dark. I tried testing it at home one evening, but after a couple of minutes they seemed to stay on, and I didn't want to drain my battery just to see if they'd eventually turn off. Any info??? Thanks!!
    I drove into the garage the other night and turned of the car before turning off the lights. The headlights went off, but the parking lights stayed on. I didn't wait to see if the parking lights went out, I suspect they do. I immediately turned them off!
  • maseacemaseace Member Posts: 32
    The headlights and foglights turn off when you turn off the ignition, and the parking lights turn off when you remove the key from the ignition, no matter what the position of the headlight switch. You must have the key in the ignition and turned to "on" for the headlights to come on. Parking lights can be turned on without they key, but you must "reset" them by turning the switch off, then on again. I leave mine on all the time, so the headlights act light daytime running lights, for safety. You never have to turn them off.
  • collins96collins96 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks! I appreciate your help!
  • bwd1970bwd1970 Member Posts: 23
    Did you find out what type of weight distribution hitch gogreo is using with his Santa Fe. I couldn't ascertain if his is a 2007 Santa Fe.
  • bwd1970bwd1970 Member Posts: 23
    Did you ever solve the "low riding" problem. My tent trailer tongue weight is listed in the specs as 290#. After complaining about the low ride, the RV dealer weighed the tongue and it came in at 500#. As you experienced, there are not aftermarket products available for us poor saps that assumed their Santa Fe's could handle a tent trailer. I was referred to a company that manufactures progressive rate coil springs to replace the factory springs. I'll let you know what happens when I get them in a couple of weeks. Please post if you were able to find air shocks or load leveling shocks for the vehicle.
  • edmac1edmac1 Member Posts: 36
    I guess I'm suggesting the obvious, but is there any chance you could add some weight to the trailer behind the axle, in order to reduce the tongue weight?
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    That is pretty much what I am getting. Maybe just a mile per gallon more on the highway (at 75mph with AC on). Mine is the SE AWD (I hate leather and automatic climate control). No complaints here on the mileage. My previous SUV was a 2004 GMC Envoy.
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    Yes, they go off. I leave mine on all the time for safety reasons (I live in Atlanta, idiot driver capital of the world). Enjoy.
  • libertyherelibertyhere Member Posts: 12
    Hi,
    Just wondered if anyone here finds the Santa Fe headrests uncomfortable? During my test drive, I was wearing my hair in a ponytail and it was very uncomfortable. I felt like my back was hurting from holding my head in an awkward position. Just wondered if anyone has found a way to adjust the seat or something to deal with this? I haven't bought the car yet because I want to find out if I can deal with these headrests long-term. Any comments? Thanks.
    Can anyone tell me if the lumbar support on the GLS is adjustable or just on/off? Thanks.
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    1st make sure the headrests are all the way back - if someone pushed them forward partially they will stay that way - push it all the way forward and let it spring back... that might be it...
  • oscar_gataoscar_gata Member Posts: 96
    It is adjustable. There is a lever at the left hand side of the seat that you push down on. As you push down, the lumbar support comes out. You can stop pushing through the cycle and the support will stay in place.
    Our previous car was an Intrepid and I thought the SF headrests came forward more than the Intrepid. They were uncomfortable at first, but it didn't take long to get used the them. I honestly didn't know you could push them back. I will try that as well.
    Wow, I learn something every day! I thought I knew pretty much everything there is to know about my Santa Fe but I was wrong. Until reading the last few posts here I had no idea that the headrests are adjustable forward/backward. I thought they could only be adjusted up/down. Very cool!
  • jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Member Posts: 167
    Are you also aware that the external round gas cap cover on the body panel has two prongs at the top of it, inside, where the gas cap slides into them, to hold the gas cap in place, when filling the car with gas? It is to prevent the gas cap from swinging against the side of the vehicle. I thought that was such a neat idea.
    Yeah, I read about that here, too! I tried it tonight for the first time and it works great.
    Hi, thanks so much for the info. I went and test drove the Santa Fe SE tonight (now I'm hooked) and the headrests were all the way back and didn't bother me at all! Now I just have to get a good deal on the SE! :)
  • keyser2keyser2 Member Posts: 25
    I purchased a base RAV4 2WD 4cyl on July 15. My second choice was a Santa Fe. I've owned three Hyundais and have always been happy with them, and haven't owned a Toyota since the 1970's. The thing that made me decide on the RAV4 over the Santa Fe was pure and simple: Gas Mileage.

Bottom-line price was only $1,500 more for the Rav4 with these comparable specs:

GLS vs. base
    Base engine (2.7 vs 2.4)
    Hyundai's standard 10 year 100,000 mile warranty vs. purchased 7 year 100,000 bumper-to-bumper from Toyota.

The Santa Fe had the nicer interior. Driving impressions were quite different. The Santa Fe felt much more massive and lethargic. The Rav4 is an absolute hoot to drive, agile with a tight turning radius. Interior room is as good in the Rav4, but I suspect the Santa Fe is 500 pounds lighter. Mileage at 2400 miles is a little over 26 mpg (mixed city, suburban and highway). The Hyundai salesman and the Edmunds forums say that the 2.7 liter Santa Fe will get realistic numbers between 17 and 21. No contest!

Quality of the Rav4 is primo. I couldn't be happier with my decision to buy the Toyota. I will probably buy another Hyundai in the future, but I have to say, Toyota is really competitive with the value factor, if one just looks into it. I think Hyundai has to be careful with their pricing. Case in point, the new Elantra. The price has increased quite a bit, which is hard to see because of the tricky packaging.

In three years or so, I'll be looking to replace my 2000 Taurus, and will look again at the small SUV segment (or possibly a crossover). I will look at the Asian brands again, and will look very closely again.
  • skierbri10skierbri10 Member Posts: 32
    My AWD GLS Santa Fe has been getting 23-25 mpg. All mixed driving. Close enough for me.... :)
    Correction: The Santa Fe seems 500 pounds heavier.
  • bj02176bj02176 Member Posts: 115
    Don't know what Sante Fe you drove, but the 2.7 awd handles like a Sedan, actually like the 2002 Toyota Camry that I had, except it does not have that mushy brake pedal feel.

Yes the gas mileage stinks but other than a leaking windshield that was fixed admirably by Mikak Hyundai Chevrolet, there are no problems.

Of course the wise move would to get the bigger engine, as mine seems sluggish without using 89 octane, especially on the highway.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Of course the RAV4 is more fuel efficient than the Santa Fe - you're comparing between a 4 cylinder and a 6 cylinder. The RAV4, especially in its I-4 trims, is actually more closely related to the Hyundai Tucson as a competing vehicle. The Santa Fe is one step up.

FWIW, the 3.3L engine in the Santa Fe is very efficient in fuel economy.
    The Toyota RAV4 I looked at over the weekend looked like Tonka Toy. The Santa Fe is a mid size Suv. You cannot compare it to the RAV4. I cannot see myself paying $29,000 for a loaded RAV4. The Santa FE is worth the price. You are paying for the mpg..but there is more to live than mpg.
    I cannot be happy paying $29,000 for a limited RAV4. Is not worth it. Trust me.
    Company rhetoric. You guys are so sensitive! Here are the size specs directly from Edmunds:

Santa Fe
    Length: 184.1
    Height: 67.9
    Width: 74.4
    Weight: 3793

Rav4:
    Length: 181.1
    Height: 66.3
    Width: 71.5
    Weight: 3444

A couple of things the Toyota rewards you with: Two sweet high-tech engines and resale value!
  • skierbri10skierbri10 Member Posts: 32
    Having been in the First Responder/EMS field I will attest that Toyotas are not safe.
  • davesuvdavesuv Member Posts: 149
    The specs confirm that the Santa FE is bigger, more a competitor for the old Highlander, which I also owned. I've had my 2007 SF Limited AWD for almost a year now and couldn't be happier with it. It's my favorite vehicle purchase to date.

Nevertheless, the RAV4 is also a very nice vehicle. I think it looks nice and is built well and will make any purchaser very happy. Since people have different tastes and different priorities when shopping for a vehicle, it sure is nice that we have so many great choices available. Hopefully everyone can find their perfect car :)
  • carbuntcarbunt Member Posts: 40
    Congratulations keyser2 on the purchase of your Rav4. I hope you enjoy it for many years.

The Rav4 comparison specs to the Santa Fe is fair but unqualifiedly misleading. Having spent an extremely lengthy seat time in a Rav4 4 cyl (approximately two weeks) I can speak to the comparison between the Santa Fe and Rav4. However, the Rav4 was not the only vehicle that I have compared to the Santa Fe.

The first thing that jumped out at me was the interior materials used to assemble the Rav4. Unlike the Santa Fe's interior only one word comes to mind when comparing the Rav4:Cheap! It literally screams this throughout. The cloth inserts in the door trim is unsubstantial and chintzy. The center console is both flimsy and not built for long lasting durability. I suspect this is due to the hard, brittle plastics that abounds throughout.

Both the front and rear cloth seats are uncomfortable and do not offer much back support. However, the front seats do offer more front seat travel. Surprisingly, the doors don't close with a thunk, Toyota quality sound. The Santa Fe's interior quality and feel are much better.

The driving characteristics of the Rav4 are quite predictable and stable, that is until you ask it to do more, such as manuver quickly and suddenly, this is when the Rav4 understeers and wallows like an overweight ox. It has good acceleration for a 4cyl but once loaded with passengers it does what all other 4cyl engines do, gear hunts and works harder to keep itself up to with traffic.

What's was also shocking to me was how thin it felt as in not substantial. I never got the feeling that this was a solidly built vehicle. Why? Although it felt well isolated from most road noise the vehicle had a very thin, tin can feel to it. I suppose this is why the Rav4's crash test scores were average to poor in the IIHS(insurance Institute for High Way Safety) while the Santa Fe tested and received one of the highest crash safety rating that any SUV in its class can received. Visit the site for the current safety award winners listed at the left of the home page: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/default.aspx

Check the safety ratings for the Rav4..you will be disappointed and surprised by the lower than expected crash safety ratings of this vehicle.

I came to the conclusion that the Santa Fe was the best built, best value and offered the best safety for my myself and family and made my purchase decision inspite of the fact that Toyota's perceived quality and therefore resale value will allow the market to prop-up this particular model for the short term, but I believe in the foreseeable future the value of Hyundai's Santa Fe will in fact see an increase.
  • kdahlquistkdahlquist Member Posts: 130
    I came very, very close to buying a RAV4 Limited V6 AWD. I wanted a small SUV with three row seating (I have three small kids). The RAV4 seemed like the best bet. I was disappointed that you couldn't get both leather seats AND the 3rd row seat option, but figured I could live with cloth. My price was going to be $27,000 and change for a white pearl with beige interior. The offered to have heated leather seats installed (1st and 2nd row only) for an additional $1600. The dealer let me take it home for a night, and boy am I glad I did!

It sure was fast, but I really never got a good feeling about the quality of the interior materials. It looked and felt cheap to me. I also never seemed to be able to get the audio system to sound good, no matter how much I futzed with the bass and treble controls. It had the sound quality of a cheap clock radio. But the real killer was the seats. Try as I might, I couldn't get comfortable in the driver's seat, and my lower back would start to hurt after about 10 minutes.

I took it back the next day, and the dealership had all the paperwork ready for me to sign. I decided I wanted to think about it a little more.

Two days later, I turned into a Hyundai dealership. I had never previously considered owning a Hyundai (I've always had Hondas and Toyotas), but I'd just seen a positive review of the new Veracruz. I didn't know anything about the Santa Fe, but when I told them salesman I wanted "small" and "three rows", he suggested I look at a Santa Fe. Wow! After driving the RAV4, the Santa Fe Limited felt like a Rolls Royce. It was quieter, smoother, a lot more roomy inside, and the materials all felt and looked expensive. The seats were actually comfortable, and it came with a real 3rd row seat -- much larger than the tiny 3rd row in the RAV4. The Santa Fe's rear seat even has its own A/C vents and controls! It wasn't quite as fast as the RAV4, but the V6 Santa Fe was still plenty powerful for me.

I ended up buying a Santa Fe Limited AWD a week later for $28,000 even. That was about $850 more than the RAV4 was going to cost me, but it was well worth it. Besides everything I mentioned above, the Santa Fe also came with leather on all 3 rows, and adding leather to just the first 2 rows of the RAV4 would have pushed its price to $29,000, or $1,000 more than the Santa Fe.

I now have 7,200 miles on my Santa Fe, and I love it. We just returned from a family road trip. My family of five was comfortable the whole way, and we averaged 22.8 mpg overall, much of that with the cruise set at 80 mph on I-35 and the A/C on. I've also had exactly zero problems with it. In short, I'm thrilled, and will definitely be looking at Hyundai again the next time I'm in the market for a new vehicle.
    I am jealous. I have to wait for mine. I am getting a 2008 but not until next year. So far I have looked at the Honda CRV and the RAV4. I don't want either. I test drove a Santa Fe and I was also hooked. The only other car that I might take a look at is the new Saturn Vue for 2008 but I am not sure since mpg is lower than the Santa Fe. The car is also a bit heavier.
  • zebzeb Member Posts: 57
    Hello,

I am considering a 2007 Santa Fe (over the Mitsubishi Outlander) - people have mentioned that the Santa Fe feels sluggish compared to the Outlander - may I ask, I'm coming from the perspective of driving a crappy 1996 Nissan Sentra (actually it's been a very good car) - do you think I can safely assume that nothing would feel sluggish to me!? I test drove both SF and Outlander and much preferred the SF (but could be because of aesthetics, I'm not sure).

I don't want to get buyer's remorse, but I also don't want to over analyze this as I do most things!

Thanks!
    -Sarah
    If you test drove them then the only opinion that matters regarding "sluggishness" is your own. Nothing that anyone here says is going to impact how the car feels to you.

I looked at the Outlander before buying my Santa Fe Limited AWD. I liked that it was available with xenon headlights and GPS navigation (neither of which is currently available on the Santa Fe) but for me everything else tipped in favor of the Santa Fe. If you like the Santa Fe and "sluggishness" is your only concern, I think you can rest easy. (Of course, I'm basing my opinion on the 3.3 liter found in the SE and Limited; I've not driven a 2.7 liter GLS.)
  • zebzeb Member Posts: 57
    Sounds about right - I test drove the SE, 3.3L.
    I think one reason everyone seems to like the Outlander so much is that it's so technologically option-based - something that I don't care about.

MPG do matter to me, but it sounds like all these SUVs/crossovers are somewhat similar for that.

thanks
    The best mpg that I have found on the midsize crossovers is about 17/24. I look at the outlander but it just looked cheap inside and sort of cramped.
    I think you would be happy with the Santa Fe. Is an all around nice crossover. I test drove it and the ride was smooth and plenty of pick up. Not sure about the AWD.
  • kdillokdillo Member Posts: 2
    I've also ordered my hitch from etrailers and purchased the Hyundai electrical Harness from a local dealership (part# 00262-71003) $96.65... I've just found that the instructions for the installation of the wiring corresponds to the 2001-2002 santa fe.
    Does the part number corresponds to the same you purchased?
    Does anybody know if there's difference in older models and 2007 wiring?
    Do you have some pictures of the cable installation for 2007?

thanks
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Member Posts: 335
    On the 07, You just plug in the 2 existing plugs (on the car) to the harness and route the wires. if you are talking about the crimp on wiring harness...I do not know. The part#'s sure are different.

I would follow the instructions that came with the harness if it matches your SF. If it is not the plug in type, I would check with the dealer too since i am unfamiliar with any of them except the 07.
    I wouldn't use that generic "Hyundai Wiring Harness", because there is a specific plug-in harness for the 2007 Santa Fe. It simply plugs into the connectors that are under the body just behind the left rear wheel of your Santa Fe.

Here's a post I made in another thread:

"Hyundai has finally released a plug-in trailer wiring harness for the 07 Santa Fe. It is part number U8612-2B000. It's so new that my dealer didn't know it existed, and tried to tell me it didn't. They wanted to sell me part number U8614-2B000, which requires splicing. I told them to check with Hyundai, which they did, and surprise! I was right. The computer showed it in-stock in the warehouse, so I should have it in a few days. Retail price is $81.61."

I bought mine from Morrie's Hyundai in Minnetonka, Minnesota. It took them two days to get it. I installed it myself in about 15 minutes."
  • speedie1970speedie1970 Member Posts: 7
    My story is very similar to kdahlquist's. I was very close to buying a RAV4 but ended up going for a SF Limited AWD. I just felt I was getting some much more car for the $$$. I loved the V6 in the RAV4 and was impressed with the fuel economy, but the interior looked & felt so cheap. In comparison, the SF Limited felt absolutely luxurious, and offered a much quieter ride.

I've had my SF for 6 weeks now and have put over 4,000 miles on it (including a 3,000mi road trip through the Rockies) and I have no regrets with my purchase. It's an incredibly comfortable car with loads of useful features. It's easy to drive around town and great on long trips.
  • kdillokdillo Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info, I went to the dealer yesterday and they assured that the wiring has not changed... I'll insist to order the new 2007 harness.
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Member Posts: 335
    Caution is indicated. My dealer said it did change (HE PERSONALLY CHECKED) and that was the reason the PLUG AND PLAY harness for the 2007 did not appear until a few months ago.

I think he may have been talking about the crimp on connector that POSSIBLY did not change!!!!. Just my guess.

The 07 PLUG and PLAY harness was the source of much consternation on this forum, and another member posted the correct part#'s for the 2007 models!

1st step is to locate the plugs on the car (07 they are under the driver's side fender well - REAR!....then make sure the new harness plugs match with the car....there are caps on the car end which must come off ist.

You can always call HyundaiUSA to confirm the correct part#. I would not leave with the part until you open it and make sure it is correct...something just feels wrong here! I wopuld not just take the dealer's word for it...in fact he probably had your year or similar on his lot...do a comparison!

let us know
    " went to the dealer yesterday and they assured that the wiring has not changed... I'll insist to order the new 2007 harness."

Most dealers don't seem to know about the plug-in harness for 2007+ Santa Fes. Make sure you have them order part number U8612-2B000. Write that part number down and take it in with you. They'll likely tell you it's the wrong part number and isn't in their catalog. Have them punch it into the computer, anyway. It will come up, and the suggested retail is $81.61. They can have it from Hyundai within a few days. If they give you any grief, tell them you will call Hyundai direct and complain about them.

My dealership didn't know about it until I told them about it. When they ordered one for me, the service manager asked if he could open it and show it to the techs, because none of them had ever seen it before.
  • bills3bills3 Member Posts: 5
    I'm trying to find my radio ID for XM. I want to sign up to XM's online site. I just got my car 3 weeks ago and XM was included for 3 months. I don't have channel 0 and channel 1 is just XM promotions. They said that I would find my radio ID on either of those 2 channnels and I don't. Anyone have the same problem? Thanks.....