Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe 2007+

Comments

• somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    Please put this in the proper section - i think i read someone else had this problem - wanted to know what they did to correct - when shifting using the manual mode (i have the awd limited santa fe) - the gear display would not show - but i just checked it now and the display was there - has anyone had this problem? is there something to do with being in cruise control?
  • bazbobbazbob Member Posts: 8
    I don't know about the RAV4 but isn't the CRV 4-cyl engine only? I remember testing a CRV before buying my '07 Santa Fe Limited and putting the pedal down on the highway and having nothing there.

I pull a 3,000lbs pop-up camper with ease with my Santa Fe that I could never pull with the CRV. I love my Santa Fe and the way it drives. I'm very glad I didn't get the honda.
  • ctsantafectsantafe Member Posts: 5
    Mine is a 2008 LTD AWD 5 seater with 7K miles. Don't know if that's long enough for your criteria. Anyway, it runs great, averages 23 MPG (mostly highway in Connecticut), sun roof does not leak (luckily), seat leather seems to be well fitted. The 5 seat version has a sizable storage well behind the rear seats, which is handy. Highway ride is very comfortable but a little bouncy on secondary roads. One thing about the LTD is that it has auto-climate control. Whenever I change vent fan speed or air direction or temperature, the A/C seems to engage, which has a minor effect on MPG. I also looked at the Rav4, CR-V, Highlander and Veracruz before settling on the SF. I didn't like to spare tire arrangement on the Rav4; the CR-V seemed a little small and buzzy; the Highlander was expensive compared to the Verzcruz; and the Veracruz LTD would have been a little too much vehicle, although the Black Saddle Leather interior is really nice. I'm happy with the SF and have not regretted the choice.
  • missy35missy35 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my first brand new car, the Santa Fe and love it. Everyone who gets in it thinks it's beautiful. As for performance, it runs smoothly and brakes well. The build quality seems pretty good with the exception of a few things.

First, after I just completed my 10,000 mile service the check engine light came on. I took it immediately to the dealer and was told that after they ran the computer diagnostic, low gas was the problem. This doesn't make sense because I brought the car in with 50+ miles range left to drive and the low level light was not on. Although the check engine computer registered the engine misfiring, it seems they are not diving into the problem.

I have a problem with the service guy telling me that the gas was too low and that is the resulting firing problem. If that were the case, how come everytime the low level light goes on that the check engine light doesn't come on? I think a more detailed diagnostic is in order but the service manager seems to think that I am some dumb girl that just ran out of gas. But what explains that fact that the low level gas light indicator was not on and the estimated range of 50+ miles readout when I brought the car in?? By the way, my boyfriend was driving my car and he did run out of gas...no check engine light came on then, so what gives?
  • june24june24 Member Posts: 9
    Any upgrades or changes to 2009 year model?
  • vlad36vlad36 Member Posts: 8
    :shades: I have a 2007 Sante Fe Limited that I purchased in September, 2007., and I live in the New York city area. Since I've had the vehicle close to a year, I'm planning to change the air filter and interior cabin climate control filter soon. However, when I checked the Hyundai maintenance log booklet, it said that the first air filter change is due after 2 years, and the climate control filter doesn't need to be changed but rather inspected after 2 years. Please advise your thoughts on this, and also a source for buying a reasonable priced air filter as it is upwards of $50 online. Also, my dealership recommends changing oil every 5,000 miles, but I wonder what other drives think is the right increment. Thanks!
  • jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Member Posts: 167
    It depends on the environment you're driving in -you also didn't state your mileage. If you read the manual it says that the recommended intervals for oil change and filter replacements are much less under harsh conditions - if like here in Phoenix it's v.hot, dusty and bumper to bumper, stop and go traffic then even with all the new advancements, it's wise to change the air and cabin filters annually.

When I got my Santa Fe, I had an oil change after the first 1200 miles at the end of the "break-in" period. Then I do them every 3000 miles because of the excessive heat and city traffic here.

I had my engine air filter changed after 1 year - it was dirty. I changed the cabin air filter at the same time (Pep Boys $20) and it was dirty too. I noticed a significant increase in the A/C fan performance for the summer after the change.
  • i360i360 Member Posts: 74
    I just replace the cabin filter after one year and it was filthy. I purchased a new filter from Advanced Auto Parts for $15.00 and it was an easy enough install. I'm going to replace the air filter on my next oil change 12,000 miles. I also get my oil changed every 3,000 miles.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Maybe a USB/Aux input that supports iPod with the Hyundai iPod cable. The Hyundai iPod cable is required to use an iPod on models with a USB port. It won't be available on nav models since that nav system doesn't have the required input for it.
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    Sounds like the boyfriend is the dumb one. Or at least too cheap to put gas in your SF. Running any vehicle low (or out of) on gas is never smart. I would try keeping gas above the 1/8 tank level (if not the 1/4 tank), and see if you keep having the same symtoms. If so, take it back to the dealer and say... see, I told you so.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    09 Santa Fe now has iPod integration. Requires 08620-2L000 to fully integrate the iPod. It's not that expensive. Around 30 USD and it really does work. Can't use the USB cable for the iPod. Like I said you must use that part number for iPod integration.
  • graybeard1graybeard1 Member Posts: 20
    What is a "wiper deicer"? The user manual does not explain. It is indicated on the SE and Limited.

Thanks
  • maseacemaseace Member Posts: 32
    There are a few defroster stripes on the bottom of the windshield under the wipers, similar to the stripes on the rear window. They come on whenever the rear defrost is selected, as do the heated side mirrors.
    I don't think I would have figured that out ever - so thank you very much.
  • jimsistjimsist Member Posts: 62
    the deicer was standard on the 2007 gls as was the crome tips on the exhust. now you have to get the SE. you cant get them other wise just like every maker when the new wares off so does some of the standard stuff but the price.dont get me wrong i love my gls. oh one more thing the crome arround the grill was also standard on the 2007 as were the color match fog lamp covers as well as the cross bars and color match roof rails.
  • mtjc521mtjc521 Member Posts: 26
    No newspaper ads yet on the 09 SF. When does 09 Santa Fe come out on dealers' lots in the US? thanks
  • srz948srz948 Member Posts: 75
    When you get navigation you lose the 6 cd changer and get a single. Does that single feed play MP3's? Thanks.
  • jimsistjimsist Member Posts: 62
    yes the single does play mp3s.
  • oscar_gataoscar_gata Member Posts: 96
    Also, its a single disc DVD player rather than CD player.
  • wtnlvrwtnlvr Member Posts: 10
    My dealer said mid to late October that's why they are pushing the 08's out the door.
  • dcibrandodcibrando Member Posts: 90
    Can the dealer install the iPod hookup and/or Bluetooth in the 2007 Santa Fe's?

I
  • denvertrakkerdenvertrakker Member Posts: 132
    Unless it's a factory part, I would stay far, far away from a car dealer for anything like this. Your best bet is a reputable car stereo shop such as CarToys (if you have one in your area). A good one will know what they're doing, install it properly, and warranty what they do - and not charge a ridiculous amount to do it.
  • runnergirl58runnergirl58 Member Posts: 1
    I need some advice on where to go for help. For the last 9 months my 2007 Santa Fe has been in and out of the dealership over 15 times because the engine light comes on and there is severe hesitation and loss of exceleration. The dealership will NOT do anything for me as far as a buy out because each incident was a different problem (sensor, computer timing, etc.). I have a piece of crap and I don't know what to do to solve this problem. Help!!! Any suggestions???
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    Contact your state about the lemon law. It sounds like you have a lemon and if I remember correctly, you have a year to file for this consumer protection (varies from state to state). Never hurts to bypass the dealer and let Hyundai Motors know directly what is going on with your SF. I am lucky, no problems at all here at 23k miles and almost 1 1/2 yrs.
    make a note of the codes they get from the svc eng light. make sure they're not just changing parts to satisfy you without really knowing what the problem is. if they replaced o2 sensor and reprogrammed computer it's probably throttle body problem - others have had ongoin problem with the svc engine light in this forum as far as i know they were all solved - some have more patience than others i guess... just as some dealerships probably have better techs to find and solve the problem quicker... BUT if it is the same symptom each time but a different problem mechanically the dealer is doing as they should - but you would have a case as far as it being a lemon. they could at least give you a temporary replacement until they get to the bottom of the problem...
  • lucky15lucky15 Member Posts: 72
    In the state of West Virginia, where I live, I believe the lemon law goes like this, if there is something in particular wrong with your car and you take it to the dealer 3 times within a certain amount of time and they cannot fix it then you qualify for the lemon law, this lemon law may vary from state to state.
  • tyra310tyra310 Member Posts: 1
    so how is your car now? My car 2008 hyundai sante fe is in the shop right now for the same problem they told me it is a throttle body part and they are waiting for the part. the service man told me they have been seeing this problem spuratically meaning its a problem. So why werent my parts on hand why did they have to order them? I have loved my car so far but I only have 11 thousand miles I shouldnt be repairing the car.
  • hoo320hoo320 Member Posts: 46
    I bought a 07 AWD Limited Santa Fe a year ago.

Honestly, it is an okay car. Some squeak and rattles, but I never had any mechanical failure.

Initially, it drives ok. As time goes, I found the the front seats were too high. Also the shape of the seat was like a half egg shell. It was very uncomfortable. It takes me a month to find that out and I develop a serious lower back pain that affect my sleep.

Also the leather used in Santa Fe does not last. Quickly, they look pretty beat up.

When I decide to change car to ease my lower back pain, I went to several dealerships. Most of them were only willing to trade it for 1/3 of the price I paid. I end up give hyundai another try since they gave me the best trade-in value, which is about half of initial price.

Another thing is that the dealer I bought it was bad. They promised me the loaner car when the car is in the shop. However, when I went to the dealership after I called to confirm the loaner car, they just told me that there was some problem with their computer and the loaner car was not available.
    Anyway, it is bad experience for me.
  • fred63fred63 Member Posts: 23
    You probably could have found a aftermarket seat and saved yourself thousands of dollars.
  • masantafemasantafe Member Posts: 19
    Hi all, new to this forum and new to Hyundai. Just purchased a new 2008
    Santa Fe 3 weeks ago. I started reading this forum at that time and I am 1800 posts behind, so excuse me if this has been discussed already. I read that the dealer can program the door to auto lock at 15 mph. My question is can they be also programed to unlock when shifted into Park or the engine is shut off? BTW, so far love the truck, except for a vibration in the dash. Ouch, only 1000 miles and how will the dealer correct that?
  • lucky15lucky15 Member Posts: 72
    Once you shift into park and shut the engine off the doors automaticly unlock themselves, too bad about the squeak in your dash, I also have a 2004 XG350L and have had a squeak in the dash for the last 3 years that I cannot fix, being as "squeaks" are out of warranty(one year on squeaks and rattles) it would cost me a fortune to have the dealer trace the squeak and repair it, I believe after listening to it and reading a post in here it is the antenna cable rubbing up against something behind the radio, this may be the case with yours, my Sante Fe doesn`t have that squeak yet and I hope it never gets it. The squeak started after the warranty on squeaks and rattles had expired.
    Thanks lucky15. At least your Lexus is a few years old; I would not be concerned if my truck had some age to it. But at 3 weeks old, 900 miles, this is kind of discouraging. If it was a good loud sound it could probably be tracked down but this is more like 2 panels rubbing, hence it's more a vibrating thing. Anyway, hopefully they can fix it when I bring it back to have the doors programmed. Thanks again for the info.
  • roudy1roudy1 Member Posts: 36
    FWIW--I had an intermittent vibration that I thought was coming from the dash; turned out it was my sunglasses rattling inside the eyeglass holder.
    Thanks roudy1. I actually emptied the glove box, both glass holders, both console boxes. I wish it was that!
    I have same thing from day of purchase 3 months ago. I hope you keep this forum updated with any progress on the issue - I certainly will. Since two attempts with the dealer have not solved the issue, I am considering having a stereo installation company remove the radio in order to allow access to the inside of the dash. I mostly hear the intermittent vibration through the center ac vent on the passenger side. Thanks.
    Hi - regarding your panel vibration that seems to be coming from the dash - refer to my 2 previous posts #105 & #123 on "noises and sounds" board... mine turned out to be the top door panels that share a joint with the door handle and the soft top panel of the door, below the window ledge.

The panel in question shuts against the side of the dash. The door panels just touch the ends of the dash when closed, and you can actually feel the vibration coming from the joint by the handle mechanism. I ended up putting a drop of superglue to join the panels together and stop the cavitation. So far it works.
    Thanks for the input. It seems to be coming from the top of the dash, but it's tough to pinpoint, especially while concentrating on driving. It very well could be the door panel. Sometimes I even think it sounds like it is behind me somwewhere. It's annoying in that I can't figure out where it is, never mind what it is. I will see (or hear) if it is the door panel like yours. Again, I appreciate any help to help find the problem (then let's hope Myrak Hyundai in Arlington, MA) is good at repairing it.
    I also forgot to mention, I discovered another source of noise in the dash, but not as frequent. If I grasp the lip of the dash over the gauges (the clear face cover in front of the guages) and sqeeze a bit a can hear a vibration as I squeeze. I don't think this is my main problem (but could be), but maybe a second issue. Too bad, I was impressed with this model when I first drove one but this is bugging the sh_t out of me!
    It's all part of the Slanted H mystique LOL ...
    It's because the cabin is so quiet you can hear every squeak and rattle and we all expect a Rolls Royce job at a Hyundai price !

Have you checked your tire pressure? Most S.Fe's are pumped up to 44 psi for delivery to prevent flat spots, and they always seem to forget to deflate them to 30 psi cold for the 18" tires. If overinflated, that may also make any vibration worse.

Look on the drivers door jamb plate for the build date and whether it was Korea or Alabama.

If it's any consolation with the vibration, when the weather is warmer and everything expands, the noise may go away.
  • lola0126lola0126 Member Posts: 2
    I was told today that I need have my cabin air filter replaced and the cost would be $43. Is this something I can purchase for less at a store and install myself? Thanks!
  • lola0126lola0126 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone else have a loud, obnoxious grinding sound when they lock their vehicle? Mine comes from the very back hatch door on my Santa Fe. thanks!
    Pep Boys have the filter for about $20 and you can fit it yourself - look up post #78 on Santa Fe Climate Control questions and issues Board on how to get to the filter housing behind the glove compartment.

Also look up how to replace the cabin air filter in your owners manual, for information. For further info look up post #662 under Santa Fe '07 Maintenance and Repair board.
  • bnberniebnbernie Member Posts: 20
    Yup, my "07" doe's the same thing, but Never when it's at the shop. Every time I go in, I tell them about it. so at least there nis a record of it.
    are there any chassis lube points on the 2007 santa fe limited awd? a chassis lube should be done on every oil change...
    I have a new 08 SE with standard (no Infinity) stereo. Looks good, but sound could be much better IMO. Problem is I want to keep the head end. Has anyone changed out just their speakers and possibly added a moderate amp? How does it sound? Worth the investment? Anyone know a good shop in the Boston/Southern New Hampshire area? Thanks.
    I haven't done what you're suggesting to my SF, but I've considered it, and I'm in the "audio biz", so here's some thoughts.

Your head unit is probably fine. It's just as easy these days to make a decent car stereo amp with wide frequency response and adequate power as it is to make a junky one. Your head unit comes from Delphi, which is usually pretty good. If, as you've indicated, you're happy with its design and functions, I'd leave it alone. Changing speakers is your best bang-for-the-buck move. Most head units are capable of much better sound than the OEM speakers provide. Provided you upgrade to GOOD aftermarket speakers, your sound should be measurably better. I'd suggest brands such as Pioneer, Polk, Boston Acoustics or similar, and be prepared to spend AT LEAST $100/pair, and maybe up to $200/pair to get a significant improvement. Depending on how loud you like to play your music, an external amp might not be necessary. It's a simple step to change out the speakers first, and then decide if you need an amp. If you do, I wouldn't think you'd need more than 50 watts per channel (that's RMS, not "peak power"). Feel free to ask for more suggestions.

BTW, I haven't done this to my SF because I'm lazy, and the OEM speakers aren't THAT bad. The bass is kind of boomy, however, so a change might be in the wind...
    Thanks for your insight. I think we are both thinking along the same line. What are your impressions of the auto departments of Best Buy and Circuit City? I would probably not go that route. I will probably look for an independant dealer of some kind. Know any dealers in the Boston area?
    I read the recent post that says if you have your doors programmed to lock automatically when driving 15 mph they will unlock automatically when you put the trans. in Park. I just read an old, 1 year + old post (I'm trying to catch up) that says it will not automatically unlock if the trans. goes into Park-that you need to press the unlock button. Anyone know for sure (now in Nov '08) what is the correct situation? Does the programming give you a choice? Thanks.
    I would probably recommend against Circuit City since they just filed for bankruptcy, although that may not mean anything. Best Buy overall has a good reputation as far as big box stores go - their installers can be as good as anybody. Krank It Up in Medford seems to have a good reputation, though I have no personal experience with them (I'm in Colorado). Do yourself a favor - Google "car stereo" and "Boston" and see who looks like a good bet.
  • js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    I saw the same post, but am thinking the poster was referring to an older model SF or maybe another Hyundai model. I have a 2007 and have driven some 2008 models too. The doors only lock automatically, not unlock. The programming does not give you a choice.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic