Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe 2007+

Comments

• drwoodrdrwoodr Member Posts: 88
    There is a TSB (06-90-022) on hmaservice.com for model years 2006 & 1007 that lists the options for the auto door locks on the Santa Fe as:
    1. OFF
    2. SPEED-LINKED - 20, 25, 30, 35, 40 Km/H

It states there is no auto unlock feature for the SF.

I do not see a TSB for the door locks for the 2008 model.
  • chrislegg1chrislegg1 Member Posts: 19
    I have newly moved up into the Ipod world. Does anyone have any help on how to get it to work in a 2007 Santa Fe? It seems surprising to me that in this day and age, there is no auxilary plug in for it.

Chris
  • masantafemasantafe Member Posts: 19
    I grew up in Medford and I know exactly where Krank It Up is located. Please tell me a more about them, if you can. Also, do you know anything about Pro Sound in Salem NH. That is very close to where I work and so it would be most convenient. I do know they have been at that location for many years. Thanks again.
  • bokonon3bokonon3 Member Posts: 20
    Denvertrakker -

Do you have a shop/installer that you can recommend in the Denver area? That's where I live ... and I am planning to upgrade the speakers on my 2007 Santa Fe.

Cheers!

-Bokonon
  • denvertrakkerdenvertrakker Member Posts: 132
    Quality Auto Sound has a pretty good reputation, although the only one I have personal experience with is the one in Greeley. Excalibur Sound on W. Hampden near Federal has been around a long time and seems better than average. And there's always CarToys, which is likely to be the most expensive. The only really negative one (not personally, but from what I've heard) is Sound on Wheels.
    I just got a quote for $1,000 up to $1400. It includes Boston and/or JL speakers with an amp (no Sub). I'm sure this is quality stuff, my question is, can I do this for less $ and still be making a decent upgrade? i guess i was trying to do this installed for around $600-$700.
    I went ahead and had the speakers in my Santa Fe replaced this past weekend (at Car Toys, here in Denver). I chose Alpine SPS 600C component speaker sets in the front, and Infinity 6022i speakers for the back.

The speakers and install ran me about $450 - which is not cheap, but I liked the store and the install people, and decided to give them my business. Their product recommendations were dead on, and they did an excellent job with the installation (which involved removing the door panels, as well as drilling new mounting holes and replacing the crossovers for the tweeters in the front doors - all of which was more involved than I wanted to get in my drafty, grimy garage during winter).

The stock speakers were made out of cardboard. Not impressive at all.

I didn't get an amp installed. I am running the new speakers off the stock head unit. For my purposes, I don't think the amp was necessary. The improvement in sound quality simply from replacing the speakers was very impressive, and is immediately noticeable.

Cheers!
    Thanks for the info. You probably saved me $500+. I am still considering an amp possibly. Now that you have had a bit a seat time would you reconsider an amp if you started over? Is Car Toys a local dealer or national? Thanks.
    CarToys is a western chain. 52 locations in Washington, Oregon, Colorado and Texas.
    Adding an amplifier would probably improve the sound quality. The question is how large the incremental improvement would be, and whether it is worth the additional expense. I opted not to get one, due to limited funds, and I don't regret the decision.

Worst comes to worst, you could always opt for the speakers now, and add an amp later if you were dissatisfied.

BTW - check out the product ratings and speakers that are available on Crutchfield's website. They also have technical support staff that can provide recommendations. If you purchase equipment through them, they can also refer you to an installer in your area. They might also have views on amplifiers. Just an idea.
    Thanks, that's pretty much how I am thinking right now. I just need to find a shop that is willing to do just a speaker job without trying to sell me state of the art equipment. I went to a dealer in my area, been there a long time, and they were very knowledgeable. unfortunately they wanted to do a speaker and amp install for $1100-$1400. I am sure it very good stuff, but my budget just isn't in that range. I am hoping to do speakers and install for no more than $400-$500. Then I'll worry about if I need an amp. Thanks again.
    I've decided on installing Alpine S-Type componets up front (as you did) and Alpine S-Type Coaxials in the rear with an Alpine amp for $741 installed complete. May I ask, what went into your decision to go with Infinities in the rear? Thanks.
    Honestly? That decision was based on price. The Infinities were nice speakers, and I liked them about as well a the Alpine S-series co-ax speakers, and they worked well in combination with the Aline component sets in the front. Plus, the Infinities happened to be on sale. No deeper reason than that.

Sounds like you are getting a good deal on that package. Keep us posted on how you like the results when you get it installed.

Cheers!
    Thanks, I will let you know how I like it. The install isn't until next week (12/18). BTW, I forgot to ask before, did you listen to the Alpine Type-R? I know their specs are better and have adjustable crossovers that the installer can tweak, and potentially more bass, but they wanted $650 installed (2 pair) vs. $378 for the Type S. I thought the S-Types were brighter and with estentially same bass response, so I thought I would just go with them and save $300. Just wondering what you thought of the comparative sound between the 2 models?
  • ryanorryanor Member Posts: 11
    I noticed the 2007 Santa Fe had a third-row option on all trim lines (GLS, SE, and Limited). However, in 2008, it is no longer available on the GLS. Does anyone know why Hyundai made this decision?

Thanks,
    Ryan
  • rmcbainrmcbain Member Posts: 50
    Hello: Regarding the 3rd row seating option, when I asked the dealership they stated it was because the Vera Cruz was now the unit that would be seven passenger. Personally, I have tried to get into the 3rd row and found it almost impossible unless you are a child or under 5 feet tall.
    :)
    As I was pumping gas yesterday into my '08 SE I noticed inside the fill neck there was no flap. All my previous cars in recent memory had a little metal flap that open when the gas nozzel push it open and closed by spring when the nozzel was removed. Is this normal for the Sanrta Fe or is it missing? Thanks.
  • ryanorryanor Member Posts: 11
    At 5'10", I've had no problem getting into the seat. Just have about an inch or two to spare on head room though. No, the 3rd row option is still available on the Santa Fe, just only on the SE and Limited models (not on GLS).
  • js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    Tonight, I saw a GLS AWD with hubcaps as opposed to alloys. Alloy wheels have been standard on this generation since 2007. I didn't think the 2009s were out yet, but now am wondering if this was a 2009 and they have been decontented this year. No info on Hyundai's website about 2009 SFs.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Maybe the owner had winter tires mounted on a set of steel rims? But you're in Texas right?
  • oscar_gataoscar_gata Member Posts: 96
    2009 Santa Fe's will not be at dealers until January. Unless you live around a Hyundai facility (Michigan, Alabama or Orange County) and saw a test vehicle. :)
    I guess they are trying to sell of the 2008's that are still in stock. No change for the 2009 model as far as we have been told from our dealership
    Hi: Has any one had any luck with locating lowering springs for the 2007 Santa Fe. I think this would help in cornerning and in looks as the clearnace between the wheel opening and tires is too large. Thanks
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    I think it corners/handles/looks just great to me. I also have a 07 Sonata SE V6, which handles a little bit better, but then again, it is a low profile tired sedan.
  • js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    Correct. I thought about that too but this was a Texas plate vehicle. Saw another one today.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

I finally got the speakers installed. What a considerable difference! And I saved some $$. Due to a "failure to communicate" when I called to schedule the install the guy forgot to put the amp on the work order. So I just got speakers ($384 installed) and you are right, I don;t think I need the amp anyway. I will drive it a week or 2 and then decide. Either way, I can't believe the difference.
    Terrific news, masantafe! Sounds like you got a good deal on you install, too - it cost me a lot more.

The installers that I used seemed to think that the Santa Fe's audio head end was fairly good quality, and had adequate power if you connected it to some efficient speakers. And I am pleased with the results on my car too. This is a relatively cheap fix, but it makes a big difference.

I just wish that Hyundai (like virtually all car manufacturers) would use better speakers to start - it would only cost them a small amount, and would make a big difference in the car's appeal ... at least to people like me. But I suppose that as a marketing tool this would make upgrading to the premium sound systems less appealing.
    The shop gave me the original speakers (for me to toss out I guess) when I picked it up. I almost SH_T when I saw just how cheap those speakers are. The magnet was literally the size and weight of a silver dollar. The entire speaker with the mounting enclosure could not have weighed even a pound. I really like the UTE and would recommend it to others, but man, those speakers are complete junk. I know what you mean about the upgrade, but that package also gives you more speakers, more power, and most importantly (IMO) a 6 CD changer. So I think they could put in some decent speakers with the base radio and still sell the upgrade. Then again, I would not have bothered to make the change and I think these Alpines are much better than anything they would put in even as a better speaker to what is there. So you eventually get what you pay for I guess.
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    First, a little background. I bought my 2007 Santa Fe Limited AWD fresh off the truck in May, 2007. At the time, we were living in the Bay Area but we were contemplating an eventual move to the Pacific Northwest. With that possibility, I insisted on getting an AWD model.

As it turned out, we moved to southwest Washington state (just north of Vancouver) in May of this year. Only after actually moving did we learn that measurable snow is very rare here. It sounded like unless we were to venture quite a ways from home the Santa Fe would never come out of FWD mode.

Fast forward to 12 days ago. It began snowing and hasn't stopped much since. As I type this we have a foot or so on the ground in our yard. Since I'm originally from Wisconsin, my first thought was, "No big deal." WRONG! Unlike Wisonsin, Washington isn't equipped to deal with snow. As a result, most streets don't get plowed. The results are a lot of people who simply can't get around. My wife even got stranded in her Mazda 3 - we ended up having to buy chains and install them just to get her car home.

The Santa Fe, however, has been a completely different story. The thing has been completely unstoppable (WITHOUT chains). Uphill, downhill, snow, slush, you name it, the Santa Fe has handled it completely without effort. When on city streets I engage the AWD lock; otherwise I just let the automatic system work its magic.

Bottom line: If you're contemplating getting one of these things and need it to be great in snow, look no further. It's absolutely fantastic. Not only that, after owning it for 19 months and putting 19,000 miles on it, it's been nearly 100% flawless and has stayed tight as new. The only non-scheduled service has been adjusting the parking brake cable and replacing a squeaking rear wiper motor, both covered under warranty. The dealer up here (in Vancouver, WA) has been first-rate in every way, too.

You've come a long way, Hyundai. Nice job.
  • nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    That's great that the Santa Fe handles well in deep snow. It gives me more confidence should I encounter that much snow. Are you on your stock tires or have some winter tires?

I had a Mazda 3 before I switched to the Santa Fe. The 3 got stuck pretty easily due to the low ground clearance. I would get hung up after parallel parking on some frozen snow in NYC.
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    I'm running the stock tires on all four corners without chains or studs. Interestingly, my wife has a Mazda 3 (2006 Grand Touring 4-door) and it was completely paralyzed on the same roads as the ones my Santa Fe handled with ease. We ended up leaving her Mazda on a city street until we bought and installed chains on it in order to get it home. We drove the Santa Fe to the tire store to buy the chains and it didn't even whince.
  • rshookrshook Member Posts: 17
    Guys: just ordered the hitch but no harness yet.... I have an '07 Touring LTD but my window sticker doesn't show anything about towing package. I have an early one (no XM). Wondering if it's worth looking under the wheelwell for the factory wiring or if I likley don't have it. Any ideas? Thanks!
  • gstern94gstern94 Member Posts: 9
    I would change your stereo to an aftermarket model. I have an Alpine X100 in my 07, and I'm very satisfied with it.

You could go the FM transmitter route, but I've used them as well and the sound quality varies from passable to unlistenable, plus you have more stuff festooning your console.

I would go with something integrated. I thought the look/feel of my dash would change significantly but it really didn't.
    Don't waste your time looking for the harness as it is part of the trailer hitch package. You can get one on line and it is just a plug and play unit. Enjoy your Santa Fe
  • bradp22bradp22 Member Posts: 1
    I attempted to install a hitch as well but it would not fit due to the full size spare tire. Do you know of a fix for this?
  • bazbobbazbob Member Posts: 8
    What hitch did you get? There are only certian kinds that will work with the Stanta Fe. I bought my hidden hitch from Etrailer.com and it installed just fine.
    Here in Mass we need to run through car washes in the winter and I just took my '08 in for the first time and had the front number plate practically ripped right off. Seeing as it is secured with just the 2 top screws I was wondering if this happens to all SF's or was this just a problem with this particulr car wash?
  • jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Member Posts: 167
    Although here in Arizona we don't have to have front plates, legally just the rear ones,there is a screw-on heavy plastic mounting plate, that allows 4 screws to be used for the front plate to be mounted.(Walmart/Pep-Boys)

The front bumper is made of a flimsy material to break away in case of an accident, which I would imagine makes it easier for the brushes on a car wash to lift the plate upwards, especially if they used small mounting screws.
  • hoo320hoo320 Member Posts: 46
    You should stay away from Hyundai, Like I will do for the next car.
    This has happened to me also. I now take off the front license plate prior to entering automatic car washes (except for the touchless one so course).
    Why? This has been one of the best trouble free vehicles I have ever owned. I also have the Sonata V6 with no problems either.
  • jcspohrjcspohr Member Posts: 97
    I need to replace the tires on my wife's 2007 Limited (235/60-18).

We got 39,000 out of the OEM Duellers but want to something better for less.

What have you put on yours?

Suggestions? Any to avoid?

Thanks,

John
  • maseacemaseace Member Posts: 32
    I recommend Goodyear Eagle ResponsEdge - they are much better performing tires at handling and wet/snowy weather. I installed them to replace the OEM Duellers that are poorly rated on Tirerack.com.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+Respon- sEdge&partnum=36VR8RE&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&place=1&speed_rating=S- &speed_rating=T&speed_rating=U&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&spee- d_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&speed_rating=(Y)&minSpeedRating=S
  • bazbobbazbob Member Posts: 8
    My Duellers crapped out on my after 24,000 miles. Loved the ride on them but tread ware was pitiful. I looked at the Goodyear Response Edge when I went tire shopping but they were back ordered big time. Good thing too becasue I discovered a great deal on the Hankook Ventus AS RH07. http://www.hankooktireusa.com/product/tire_detail.asp?pid=202

Goodyear cannot touch this tire in the price/comfort/performance categories. The treadware is 420 and I picked them up at a local tire place for $105 a peice. I know Pepboys carries this brand too.
    I have since looked at the problem to figure out a engineering solution (a heavy plate frame with additional mounting points, etc.) and I agree your's is the simplest AND most effective. Just take the damn plate off while in line to enter the carr wash! I keep a screw driver in the UTE and when I get out to push back the mirrors and take off the antenae this adds literally about 30-45 seconds. Duuhh!
  • jcspohrjcspohr Member Posts: 97
    Maseace and Bazbob,

Thank you for the replies. Much appreciated.

Have a great day.

John
    Two others to consider are the Nokian WR (on the pricey side and hard to find), and the Kumho Road Venture APT KL51 (less expensive than the Goodyear or Nokian, and several people on this forum have used them).

FWIW, 39,000 out of an OEM tire ain't that bad....
  • roxy007roxy007 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Man thanks for information Rocking bubbly
    Hello? Two-year old "information"? :confuse:
  • andyshridharandyshridhar Member Posts: 2
    GM has one of the biggest range of cars in India, encompassing everything from small hatchbacks to soft-roaders, all of which are sold under Chevrolet brand name.
    IT IS GR8 CAR............