Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Santa Fe 2007+

Comments

• Options
    toasttoast Member Posts: 50
    Hyundai talks up a good line, an example being the new Azera. The brochures state class leading safety. The actual safety results are mediocre at best. The Azera forum highlights these safety deficiencies and how many owners are disappointed about Hyundai's false claims.

I'm sure the new Santa Fe will also tout "class leading safety". Time will tell if such claims can be substantiated. My guess is they will come up short. Give Hyundai another 2-3 years and they may be able to churn out what they claim they can.

I agree the Honda styling is a little conservative, however when safety and depreciation are factored in the Pilot is a very popular vehicle and a smart buy especially at current pricing levels just north of $28K for an EXL.
  • Options
    reca1reca1 Member Posts: 14
    I find it strange that Hyundai would talk about what the new Santa Fe is going to have in the future (XM satellite radio, Bluetooth handsfree option, & navigation system option). Why should I rush out to buy the Santa Fe when a more complete version is down the road? Not very good marketing in my opinion.
  • Options
    mike_belknapmike_belknap Member Posts: 378
    I don't find it strange at all, actually. The vast majority of Santa Fe buyers couldn't care less whether it has XM, Nav, or hands-free -- or even that there's a Limited trim. For the very small minority of people who are willing to pay the extra $2K+ for Nav and Bluetooth, or wait for the XM, Hyundai is assuring them that these items will be available. To me, it shows that HMA is not just looking at the short-term: they're also trying to net folks who are looking at buying a few months down the road, as well as those who are just now starting to research their options for next year's purchase.

Mike
  • Options
    You've been a Honda/Acura fan since '85, no? You ought to just go for it! From the remarks you've made, it seems that you won't be happy driving anything else. If it's a Pilot you want, then make it a Pilot you get! It's always best to start out pleased - you're more likely to enjoy the vehicle as time passes.
    Afterall, the Honda is a great vehicle!

My $0.02...

Mike
  • Options
    zubinh1zubinh1 Member Posts: 18
    Well I'm one of those people looking at the Limited with Ultimate and Touring. And quite frankly, $33k for this car while Pilot and MDX are selling heavily discounted right now is making me have second thoughts about the Santa Fe. I think Hyundai is just plain overcharging for the Ultimate package.
  • Options
    acronisacronis Member Posts: 29
    Remarks from toast and reca1 are premature. No one knows how well the newly re-designed '07 Santa Fe will sell. While it's true that accessories such as bluetooth, I-Pod access and XM are not yet available, the fact that some or all of these will be included in the very near future should be a positive.

One more thing. Since this vehicle has not even been 'first drive' tested by Edmunds or anyone else the early bashing for lack of these nice-to-have features seems rather puzzling.
  • Options
    joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    I'm with Mike on this one. For vehicles 30K and less, especially, the percentage of consumers adding optional equipment such as Navi is very very small.
  • Options
    driverdmdriverdm Member Posts: 505
    Seems kind of pricey. As a matter of fact it is pricey. I don't think in upper end trim Hyundai will be the value leader any more. The Ford Edge can be had for about the same with much more horsepower in V6 form. The new Highlander is in the mix at that price as well. At $33K you are looking at a Lincoln MKX which isn't a bad car at all when you look at it and see it in person. Additionally, the Saturn Outlook which is much bigger and nicer is supposedly going to be in the mix at that price.
  • Options
    jveneziajvenezia Member Posts: 85
    Remember back when news of a larger, nicer version of the Santa Fe first broke? We were told that it would compete with the likes of the vehicles being mentioned in the last few messages. While, yes, the Santa Fe will be a somewhat less expensive, the point being made here is that Hyundai is seriously competing with the rest of the mid-size, nicer SUVs. If it doesn't have all the bells and whistles (like the soon-to-be-obsolete in-dash navigation [geez! don't you guys realize that advances in portable systems are burying in-dash systems??] or the latest satellite radio), quit your whining and go get an Acura. Hyundai will finally do what it needs to do to be a viable business force...compete at a price point that affords them a little more margin per vehicle. I applaud them for it. That's fantastic from a business standpoint and it's a phenomenal accomplishment for a brand as disparaged as Hyundai. From a consumer standpoint, it means that I'll get a much nicer vehicle due to the nature of the competition in that price arena, but I'll also have to fork over a higher monthly payment to enjoy it. That's why my own interest lies with the middle trim level of the Santa Fe (I want the bigger engine and higher tow capacity for an 18' Starcraft aluminum boat) rather than the highest trim level. I have to feed a family, after all.

If you're a little put off by the higher-than-expected price of the top-of-the-line Santa Fe, then consider a lower trim level or a maxed-out Tucson or Kia Sportage. Frankly, I think that those who so blandly state they'll purchase the Super Luxury EX Tricked Out Eddy Bauer version of any vehicle are 1) blowing smoke and won't even buy the brand, or 2) will wind up buying a more sensible trim level when the rubber meets the road.
  • Options
    Comparable equipped, I think you'd still find the Santa Fe to have more value - starting under 21K, and low 30s for the range-topper with all options included. Ford Edge starts in the mid-20s (24 or 25K), I believe, but once equipped like the Santa Fe, you are looking well into the 30K range; MKX starts in the 30K range, well-equipped versions will run you 40 large; Highlander, new? Not the current one - try this fall. And, Saturn Outlook is entirely at another class so let's save it for another comparsion.
  • Options
    Ford Edge starts in the mid-20s (24 or 25K), I believe, but once equipped like the Santa Fe, you are looking well into the 30K range;

Nope, just went to Ford's website. The Edge comes pretty well equipped. Base for base, there isn't much difference. The pricing gap isn't that great. I think the Sante Fe has a better interior while the Ford is much better exterior styling and engine. The Sante Fe also has Hyundai's recent quality record going for it. The Ford will probably do very well quality wise as well though as recent Fords have been pretty good in quality.
  • Options
    motortopiamotortopia Member Posts: 4
    2007 Hyundai Santa Fe Manufacturer Suggested Retail Pricing:

Suggested
    Model Engine Transmission Driveline Retail

Santa Fe GLS 2.7L V6 5-Speed M/T FWD $20,945
    Santa Fe GLS 2.7L V6 5-Speed M/T AWD $22,945
    Santa Fe GLS 2.7L V6 4-Speed A/T with SHIFTRONIC® FWD $22,145
    Santa Fe GLS 2.7L V6 4-Speed A/T with SHIFTRONIC® AWD $24,145
    Santa Fe SE 3.3L V6 5-Speed A/T with SHIFTRONIC® FWD $23,645
    Santa Fe SE 3.3L V6 5-Speed A/T with SHIFTRONIC® AWD $25,645
    Santa Fe Limited 3.3L V6 5-Speed A/T with SHIFTRONIC® FWD $25,945
    Santa Fe Limited 3.3L V6 5-Speed A/T with SHIFTRONIC® AWD $27,945

* Plus $650 freight charge
  • Options
    Santa Fe is well-equipped in the 20s range, and defn. have a lot of standard features as typical Hyundai models do.
  • Options
    njawdrivernjawdriver Member Posts: 23
    If it doesn't have all the bells and whistles (like the soon-to-be-obsolete in-dash navigation [geez! don't you guys realize that advances in portable systems are burying in-dash systems??]

Now I own and use both NAV systems - an in-dash NAV in my Acura MDX and a portable Garmin for my Outback. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Garmin and the directions it produces are better than the MDX system, but, the in-dash system provides the following benefits that the portable can never provide:

Larger size screen - my 45 year old eyes have trouble with the mini-screens on the portables.

Always there / always on - My portable usually sits hidden in my glove box and I have to pull it out and set it up when I need it - A real pain when I'm trying to navigate around a traffic jam. I hate leaving it sitting on the dash where it screams "steal me".

Integration with steering wheel controls - My hands never leave the wheel when I'm using the in-dash system and it's excellent voice recognition sytem (with a high quality built-in microphone, stategically located above the driver).

Integration with car audio system - The in-dash nav is totally integrated with the car's audio. It uses the front speakers while the rear speakers continue playing what they were. Sound quality is excellent - something that a portable with a $3 speaker will never match.

Integration with bluetooth - My in-dash system can use my cell phone to call any phone number listed for a restaurant, stored address, or POI. Again, my hands never leave the wheel and the voice quality is excellent!

Like I said - my Garmin does a better job at navigating, but the conveniences that the in-dash system provide can never be replaced. :D
  • Options
    Here are some specification changes and additions:

Turning diameter: 35.8 ft.

Coefficient of drag, w/spoiler | w/o spoiler: 0.37 | 0.38

Minimum ground clearance: 8.1 in.

Cargo space, behind 3rd-row | behind 2nd-row: 10 cu.ft. | 78.2 cu.ft.

Curb weight, FWD/AWD:
    GLS 5-passenger: (manual) 3,727 / 3,903
    GLS 5-passenger: (automatic) 3,793 / 3,969
    GLS 7-passenger: 3,892 / 4,068
    SE/Limited 5-passenger: 3,846 / 4,022
    SE/Limited 7-passenger: 3,945 / 4,121

Towing capacity:
    With trailer brakes & tow prep: 3500 pounds
    (SE & Limited); 2800 pounds (GLS)
    W/ trailer brakes, w/o tow prep: 2000 pounds
    W/o trailer brakes: 1650 pounds
  • Options
    jclevinjclevin Member Posts: 7
    "Base for base, there isn't much difference."

I just wanted to add that there are differences between the SF and Edge when comparing base models ONLY that could be significant to some of us:

- Ford’s warranty is a speck in Hyundai’s rearview mirror:
    -- Hyundai: 5-years/60,000-mi. basic, 10/100,000 powertrain, and 5/unlimited roadside assistance
    -- Ford: 3-year, 36,000 bumper-to-bumper warranty
    - For safety equipment: Edge does not have front active head restraints (whiplash protection), a tire pressure monitoring system, or electronic brake force distribution. All standard on SF.
    - The SF has over 10 cubic ft more total cargo room than Edge (79.4 cu ft vs 68.7 cu ft) with the rear seats folded.
    - Comparing the looks of each vehicle is whatever each person thinks - “beauty is in the eye of the beholder”. I wouldn’t say the Edge has “much better exterior styling” than SF. Personally, I think the Edge looks like a 5’1” weightlifter on steroids = not for me. Again, just my opinion.
  • Options
    dickybirddickybird Member Posts: 3
    Hey gang, I have been following the many topics concerning this 07 Santa Fe which sounds like a great vehicle for the money. But, take the Honda or Toyota or other Japanese similar vehicles that have been compared to this 07, three years down the road when ready to trade, what will the resale be like compared to the others mentioned above???
  • Options
    giraldogiraldo Member Posts: 17
    Does anyone know if this combination is possible? If not, is there a 7 passanger vehicle that has 5spd manual transmission?
  • Options
    Yes, it appears that the Touring Package can be had with a 5-speed manual tranny on the GLS. You might have to order it that way, but certainly seems that it is definitely possible.

Another [7-passenger + manual tranny] vehicle that comes readily to mind is the Mazda5. There may be others....

Mike
  • Options
    What you really want is a Mazda CX-9 which is coming this fall.
  • Options
    jjones4jjones4 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have any photos of interior and exterior of the Santa Fe in the SE trim level. I want to see what the seats look like and what patterns/colors they will be offered in. If you could post them, I would appreciate it!
    Thanks
  • Options
    The CX-9 will come only with a 6-speed automatic tranny.

Mike
  • Options
    Mazda5 is 6 passenger mini-MPV, if I recall.
  • Options
    giraldogiraldo Member Posts: 17
    I drove the mazda5, but it's too minivan ish and i don't always need 7 passanger (or 6) seating, just once in a while. I would really like to keep the manual tranny, and was excited when i read the cx-9 was available in manual, and dissapointed when i was told it wasn;t. So this seems to be it. Can't wait to see it in person.
  • Options
    Touche....

;)

Mike
  • Options
    choe13choe13 Member Posts: 348
    I've read the consumer reports this suv looks like a real darkhorse BUT it also says in the end it didn't pass the std for tip over test, and it is not a recommended buy

anyone know about this?? is the gov't testing too unrealistic for regular type driving tip over?

i wonder if other suvs face similiar std issues as well
  • Options
    Because of its standard stability control, redesigned suspension, and significantly enhanced static stability, this new version will not tip-up in the Gov't test. The intentional non-recommendation of the Santa Fe only applies to the last generation model (model years 2001-2006 here in the States) - something that I personally feel is a responsible move on CR's part. CR will recommend the new Santa Fe if it performs well in their tests, and exhibits at least average reliability and decent crash test scores - that means waiting until fall 2007. (Unless, perhaps, the redesigned Sonata shows with excellent reliability in this year's survey. If this happens, and there is marked improvement across the Hyundai line, they may be willing to project reliabilty of the new Santa Fe at above-average and recommend it sometime in the early half of next year. This is all purely speculative, however.)

Other 2006 model-year SUVs that have tipped-up in the test include the Chevrolet Equinox, Ford Escape, Mazda Tribute, Mercury Mariner, Pontiac Torrent, and Saturn Vue.

The most important thing you can do to reduce your chance of rollover in any vehicle (but especially a pickup, minivan, or SUV) is to select a model with stability control. Head-protective side airbags are another important safety item to be on the lookout for - something that's also standard on this new Santa Fe.

Pricing in Canada starts at $25,995 CDN and ranges to $35,995 CDN.

Mike
  • Options
    guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    Hey Mike,

Where did you get the canadian pricing?

Thanks

Guy
  • Options
    jjones4jjones4 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have pictures of the 2007 Santa Fe in the SE trim level? Interior and Exterior shots?
  • Options
    From another forum, actually. Because of this website's posting rules, I'm not allowed to say which forum.
    But, if you go to Google.com and type in "2006/7 Hyundai Santa Fe abes_cw," you might just get lucky. Especially on the 21st page of... ahem*... any hit that you may get.

[Hint, hint... ;);)]

Mike
  • Options
    Strangely enough, I don't at the moment. :(
    As far as the exterior goes, it will have the same wheels and foglamps as the Limited, the same grille and door handles as the GLS, and no rear spoiler.

I'll see what I can do....

Mike
  • Options
    guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    Thanks, seem expensive to me. We will have to wait to get more details on specs to compare with US pricing.
  • Options
    guyfrguyfr Member Posts: 55
    Canadian pricing and packages released:

GL 2.7l 185 hp 5 speed manual, FWD with the usual comfort features (a/t/c/pw/pl/pm/am/fm/cd/mp3 6spkr)

6 airbags, active head restraints
    ABS with EBD, TC and ESC

$25995 plus DDE
    add $1300 for 4 speed auto

GL 3.3l FWD 242 hp 5 speed auto
    Telescope wheel, audio controls

$27295, add $1800 for AWD with fog lights

GL premium
    Adds 3rd row, pwr heated seat, 18" wheels, electromirror w compass, leather wheel/knob

$31295 ($31445 with leather, no third row)
    $33095 with AWD

GLS AWD, 3rd Row, Leather, auto HVAC, homelink, trip comp, chrome pkg, full carpet cargo area
    $35995
  • Options
    midhawkmidhawk Member Posts: 1
    didnt see this posted sorry if already has been

Santa Fe GLS 2.7L V6 5-Speed M/T FWD $20,945
    Santa Fe GLS 2.7L V6 5-Speed M/T AWD $22,945
    Santa Fe GLS 2.7L V6 4-Speed A/T with SHIFTRONIC® FWD $22,145
    Santa Fe GLS 2.7L V6 4-Speed A/T with SHIFTRONIC® AWD $24,145
    Santa Fe SE 3.3L V6 5-Speed A/T with SHIFTRONIC® FWD $23,645
    Santa Fe SE 3.3L V6 5-Speed A/T with SHIFTRONIC® AWD $25,645
    Santa Fe Limited 3.3L V6 5-Speed A/T with SHIFTRONIC® FWD $25,945
    Santa Fe Limited 3.3L V6 5-Speed A/T with SHIFTRONIC® AWD $27,945
  • Options
    enkaenka Member Posts: 35
    Good news Hyundai pricing announced and the features it has click on this web site, and it says it will have optinal navigation in 2007 thats madddd hottt.
    http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/06/22/012321.html
  • Options
    jax0401jax0401 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know about whether or not Hyundai will be offering any incentives right away? I know this is probably unlikely, but I can hope can't I?
    Also, does anyone know whether or not they will be offering leases right away? When I bought my Tucson when it was first released, they weren't offering leases right away, I am just curious if they will follow suite with the Santa Fe.
    :)
  • Options
    I recall Hyundai offered a special lease rate when the Azera came out late last year :)
  • Options
    cps2cps2 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have a website that shows the new 07 exterior colors? I am very tired of the 07 santa fe site that has not updated for months...other than the words of "Now Available"
    Thanks
  • Options
    wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    Nice to see a few more details, but would still like to see the official release. If you add auto (1300) and AWD (1800) to the base model, it seems to come out more expensive (29,095) than the base Rav4, but maybe AWD is not available with this model, as the GL 3.3, which includes a 5 sp auto, when you add AWD, also comes out to 29,095. I wonder if you can add the 3rd row to this model?
    Otherwise, it looks like the cheapest AWD model with the 3rd row is 33,095.........at least it's more reasonable than the Rav4's cheapest 3rd row model @ $36,370. The only area where the Santa Fe doesn't seem to measure up is fuel economy, though I haven't seen any official figures in Canada yet. If Honda's new CR-V doesn;t include a third row, then it looks like Hyundai & Toyota will be vying for our hard-earned cash.
  • Options
    seniorsenior Member Posts: 13
    This past April A Honda dealer was selling Piolets for $1,000.00,below dealer cost.Im sure its the same today since he has plenty on his lot.This being in Henderson,NV.By the way the new CR_V is all new for '07 and a beauty.
  • Options
    It's Pilot.

What does your post have to do with this Hyundai Santa Fe thread? By the way, the Santa Fe doesn't exactly compete with either vehicles, as stated.

You've already seen the next CR-V - funny it hasn't been unveiled.
  • Options
    dastolfodastolfo Member Posts: 4
    I just rec'd an email from a local dealer (Burlington ON). He said they are expecting delivery of their first 07 next week (July 3rd)... Ive already requested a test drive... We'll see when I can work this for...
  • Options
    jabbottjabbott Member Posts: 14
    I'm 6"4 and over 60 years old. I await the new Santa Fe because of the ease of entry/exit and the safety. One safety feature which it will have that I have not heard discussed is the active front seat head restraints. Neither of the competing Toyota products have this feature. Trust me, this will be an issue for my generation.

Jabbott
  • Options
    Here are some spy shots. It's notably smaller than the current generation vehicle and much more compact than the new Santa Fe. You're absolutely right: they're not realistic competitors.

Mike
  • Options
    azera25azera25 Member Posts: 45
    Some really nice pics here. Damn this car looks good.

http://newsantafe.hyundai-motor.com/

I can't wait until I see some on the streets!!
  • Options
    azera25azera25 Member Posts: 45
    Santa Fe is available NOW!!
  • Options
    prosource1prosource1 Member Posts: 234
    Hyundai USA is stating the 07 Santa Fe is now available. This means, like the Accent Hatch, your local dealers likely have one Santa Fe on display that is not 'for sale'. It will allow those of us who are interested in buying the new Santa Fe, to see it in person and get a feel for this vehicle. The Santa Fe is getting extremely good reviews in Europe where it is now on sale for its refined and appealing demeanor. This is going to now be 'the alternative' to the RAV-4. At thousands less, with 7 passenger configuations and the 3.3 Lambda, it is my next purchase.
  • Options
    danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    They have been allocated already. Some dealers may have one or two in, but within the next week or so we all should have some. They are all available for sale. Hyundai doesn't want dealers to show cars, they want us to sell them.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I saw an Accent hatch last week at a dealer in Central Texas. It was definitely for sale. The sales rep tried very hard to sell it to me even though I told him I was from Minnesota and "just looking". Like Dan says, dealers want to sell cars. For the right price, they will sell those first 2007 Santa Fe's.
  • Options
    aneeshaneesh Member Posts: 43
    The Hyundai website has a mjaor flaw it says..
    GLS FWD M/T: $22,945
    GLS 4WD A/T: $20,945
    GLS FWD A/T
    (4 SPEED W/SHIFTRONIC):$22,145
    GLS 4WD A/T
    (4 SPEED W/SHITRONIC): $24,145

MAJOR OVERSIGHT