Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Santa Fe 2007+

Comments

• Options
    reca1reca1 Member Posts: 14
    I am 6"4" also and one of the best features of the new Santa Fe, for me, is the leg room of over 42" plus ample head room. The tilt and telescoping steering wheel will made entry and exit much easier. None of Santa Fe's competitors can match it for leg room.
  • Options
    joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Where exactly did you see it?

The website still shows 06s.

The pricing press release (posted above) is the 07 pricing, to the best of my knowledge.
  • Options
    aneeshaneesh Member Posts: 43
    link title
    Look Under FEATURES AND SPEC....GLS model.....READ IT CAREFULLY! Hyundai has many errors on their website.this is just one
  • Options
    samirataustinsamirataustin Member Posts: 17
    I was chatting with Al at Classic Hyundai here in the Austin, TX area. He mentioned that based on information from the Houston zone manager (presumably of Hyundai) 3rd row seating models will be introduced in the US in November.

Anybody else has any info on this?
  • Options
    mrnicemrnice Member Posts: 14
    I was sent this spread sheet by a Toronto dealer today. Supposed to have them on the lot any day.
  • Options
    evolutionmanevolutionman Member Posts: 4
    No incentive rebates are being offered on the 2007 Santa Fe. However, the vehicle has just started arriving on dealer lots this past week and they have to sell out the 2006 Santa Fe models ($3000.00 rebate). Wait a few months (Sept. - Nov.) to see if they offer incentives to move the 2007 models.
  • Options
    wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Member Posts: 337
    that's the best hyundai commercial ever!
  • Options
    ergsumergsum Member Posts: 146
  • Options
    pfloydmtlpfloydmtl Member Posts: 4
    I was surprised to see that the GL trim in Canada didn't have the AWD option like it does in the US. I called Hyundai Canada and they have made a decision to only have the AWD on the 3.3L engine which also means that we all have to drive the automatic tranny to get AWD...

So much for having a fuel efficient AWD solution on the new Santa Fe... This bums me out! :cry:
  • Options
    arumagearumage Member Posts: 922
    According to specs, in AWD trim, both engines get 19mpg in the city. The 2.7L gets 25mpg highway, and the 3.3L gets 24mpg. I don't think that's much of a difference considering you also get all that extra power.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Those are fun! You should add 'em to your carspace page (if you haven't already).

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    I just talked to a Hyundai dealer in the Pittsburgh area and he said that the third row seating option will not be available until December. He said he was told this by a regional manager. This doesn't make much sense because 60% of the people buying SUV's want the third row option. Can any one else confirm this information?. If this is the case, since I want to buy this summer, this will rule out the Santa Fe for me.
  • Options
    pfloydmtlpfloydmtl Member Posts: 4
    Actually I've always driven cars with manual trannys (currently own the 1998 Honda CR-V) so I wanted to have that setup on the Santa Fe too... Currently the only way I can get a manual tranny in Canada is with the 2.7L engine which means no access to AWD!

MSRP for the 3.3L with 5 spd auto and AWD: $30,095 CAD
    MSRP for the 2.7L with 5 Spd Man: $25,995 CAD

I would have to pay $4,100 CAD more just to get AWD and lose the manual tranny. That's a big jump which I cannot understand...

Winters in Canada justifies getting AWD but not at that price!
  • Options
    That's a pretty odd difference as far as options are concerned. It's also a pretty big jump in price just to get AWD, although it looks like this 3.3L could be a better engine.
  • Options
    mike_belknapmike_belknap Member Posts: 378
    Hmm... that is very strange - that Hyundai would offer a manual+AWD combination in the States but not in Canada. Wow....

Mike
  • Options
    My local dealer has two: black GLS and a blue SE. The salesperson I spoke to said that the Touring Package will be available in September.

Mike
  • Options
    seniorsenior Member Posts: 13
    All of the '07 Santa Fe engines have a chain instead of a timing belt.What a great improvement.
  • Options
    Some (not all) exterior colors:

Platinum Sage
    Bright Silver
    Arctic White
    Slate Blue
    Ebony Black
    Natural Khaki
    Deepwater Blue
    Silver Blue

Mike
  • Options
    Thanks for the information on the third row. I assume they have to retool the plant for the touring package. By September, there might even be some incentives. I still think a majority of buyers will opt for third row seating.
  • Options
    enkaenka Member Posts: 35
    http://arabam.milliyet.com.tr/arabamtest/hyundai_santafe5_2006/hyundai_santafe5_- 1.asp

This the first 2007 Santa fe test. This suv is already in sale in Turekey and they tested the car. Translation for everyone they say its a very large car from the last generation. Reaches 0-60 in 13 seconds. As you can see it in the pioctures its a 5 seat model because these cars in turkey are sold out. People got in line to buy this. They say 7 seated model is the most popular than 5 seat model check the web site. Thanks very nice car it says it passed the test Engin Kaya.
  • Options
    jjones4 et.al.,

Here are some pics and impressions of an SE that I tested this afternoon. If you have any questions, I'll be more than happy to try and answer them!

Vehicle tested: 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe SE FWD
    Exterior color: Deep Water Blue
    Interior color: Beige
    Options: Carpeted floors mats ($95.00)
    Price as tested: $24,390

Abstract
    The attractive 2007 Santa Fe shows marked improvement over the last generation vehicle. The 3.3-liter V6 was plenty peppy and whisper-quiet in most situations. The ride, while notably firmer than the last model, absorbs most bumps and road imperfections with aplomb. The cabin is roomy, comfortable, and extremely quiet. Interior fit and finish is very good.

Overview
    The ride is certainly stiffer than the last generation Santa Fe. As it turns out, this is not a bad thing, as the redesigned suspension has improved the truck's handling aspects, reduced bottoming-out, and has given it a more solid, carlike feeling. Larger bumps penetrate audably only because of an otherwise Lexus-silent cabin.

Handling was fairly responsive for a vehicle of this vein, and the super-tight turning circle made parking a cinch. Standard stability control should keep it in check during the more aggressive maneuvers. Braking performance on dry pavement was excellent overall.

The 242-horsepower, 3.3-liter V6 and five-speed automatic transmission make a quiet, refined, and powerful pair, though there can be a slight hesitation to down-shift in certain situations. EPA-rated fuel economy is 24 on the highway and 19 in the city on regular unleaded gasoline.

The interior finish is light-years ahead of the old Santa Fe. Soft-touch materials grace key surfaces and most interior plastics are solid, finely-textured, and tastefully executed. The wood-grain trim, while obviously faux, adds color and isn't as gaudy as it appears in some images. Fit is another strong point, as components were flushly placed and sharp edges were absent. The cloth seating upholstery felt both soft and durable, while also being attractive.

Legroom, both front and rear, is noticeably improved, with plenty of footspace at all outboard seating locations. The tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel and intuitive, pump-type manual seat controls (similar to the mechanisms used in the Volkswagen Touareg) proved very helpful in finding the ideal driving position. Seat comfort was also very good, with markedly enhanced side-bolster support. Some taller drivers may wish for a touch more thigh support. Three adults can fit comfortably in the rear-seats. Ingress and egress for both the front- and rear-seats is very easy, though seat height renders entry a bit more difficult than a typical full-size minivan; a bit easier than most SUVs.

Ergonomics were excellent; controls were extremely straightforward and easy to see and use. The cool, violet-blue illumination of most displays and switchgear is a very nice touch, as it effectively adds to the already more upscale atmosphere of the cabin. Display contrast is satisfactory. The black dash and steering wheel reduce windshield glare. The steering wheel audio controls include a “seek” feature.

Cargo space is also appreciably increased. The 60/40-split rear seats folded easily – forming only a slight incline when lowered completely. There is a very sizeable underfloor storage bin residing behind the rear seats. A removable, organizing separator is included. A tool tray is positioned aft of the storage bin. The liftgate is light, yet it feels solid; the integrated center high-mounted stoplight utilizes LEDs. The glass does not open separately. Maximum load was rated at 930 lbs.; max towing at 3,500 lbs. (when properly equipped). A single tow hook resides under the front bumper.

Ratings: scale = 0.0 - 5.0 in 0.5 increments

Acceleration - 4.0
    Braking - 4.5
    Transmission - 4.0
    Routine handling - 4.0

Ride - 4.0
    Noise - 5.0
    Driving position - 4.5
    Access, front/rear - 4.0/4.5
    Controls & Displays - 5.0
    Interior fit & finish - 4.5
    Cargo space - 3.5

1st-row seat comfort - 4.5
    2nd-row seat comfort - 4.5

http://forum.thecarconnection.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=427
    http://forum.thecarconnection.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=428
    http://forum.thecarconnection.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=429
    http://forum.thecarconnection.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=430
    http://forum.thecarconnection.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=431
    http://forum.thecarconnection.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=432
    http://forum.thecarconnection.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=434
    http://forum.thecarconnection.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=435
    http://forum.thecarconnection.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=436
    http://forum.thecarconnection.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=437
    http://forum.thecarconnection.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=438
    http://forum.thecarconnection.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=439
    http://forum.thecarconnection.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=440
    http://forum.thecarconnection.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=441
  • Options
    acronisacronis Member Posts: 29
    Mike thank you for your insightful and informative review of the re-designed 2007 Santa Fe. I am impressed by your description of the quality of this vehicle. I have some questions does it have foldable side mirrors? full size or limited spare? Were you able to test the stereo? Are the hood and rear hatch trimmed?

Although the rear glass no longer opens (curious as to why they deleted that option), it wouldn't stop me from owning this vehicle. I'm very much interested in the '07 Santa Fe and I plan on visiting my local Hyundai dealer as soon as they have some in stock to take a test drive. The links you posted do not appear to be working. ***I also found this other test drive review of the '07 Santa Fe 2007 Santa Fe Test Drive

Nice Job Hyundai!
  • Options
    "I have some questions does it have foldable side mirrors?"

Yes, the mirrors do fold manually.

"full size or limited spare?"

I didn't see it, actually (!), but it is supposedly a compact spare in that it is more narrow than the other wheels/tires. So as not to confuse the ESC system, it must maintain the same diameter.

"Were you able to test the stereo?"

Regretfully... because I was trying to maximize my time, I didn't have the chance to test the sound system extensively. From the little bit that I heard, it did sound pretty good (the optional systems on the SE and [especially] the Limited are bound to be killer good!).

"Are the hood and rear hatch trimmed?"

If I'm not mistaken, the hood was trimmed with sound-deadening material; the liftgate on the SE did not feature carpeting.

"The links you posted do not appear to be working."

They haven't been OKed by the host site yet. Hopefully they'll be up soon. It looks great in person!

Mike
  • Options
    canadianbaylorcanadianbaylor Member Posts: 8
    I just asked Pathway Hyundai in Ottawa about availability and they indicated that several are on their way. Incidentally, they are really great people to deal with. I've dealt with them for awhile now and they really put the customer first. Also found out that they aren't getting any premium models. cheers
  • Options
    mcperrmcperr Member Posts: 74
    Does anyone have a figure for cargo volume with the 2nd seat up - 3rd seat down? Rear seat(s) down the Santa Fe's 78 ft3 is very close to the Highlander's 80 ft3. For those of us with kids, the 2nd seat up - 3rd seat down volume is more relevant. Volume with the 3rd seat up appears to be almost nil.

BTW, the cargo capacity of the 07 Santa Fe clearly puts this vehicle in a different category than the Rav4 or CRV. As a mid-size SUV we should be comparing it to the Highlander, Pilot etc.
  • Options
    Cargo volume, cu.ft.

Behind front seats: 78.2
    Behind 2nd-row seats: 34.2
    Behind 3rd-row seats: 10.0

As an aside, after seeing the new Santa Fe yesterday, I quipped to my dad (who was with me and considering it for purchase) that "I certainly did like it better than the Highlander overall." To which he replied, "Oh, definitely: there's no comparison!"

Mike
  • Options
    canadianbaylorcanadianbaylor Member Posts: 8
    sun roof optionDoes anybody know whether the sunroof is available on the first release? Also, I hope the spare is placed somewhere inside the vehicle.

BTW thanks to Mike for the great pics and review.
  • Options
    jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    Good shots. Thanks.
  • Options
    lindawwlindaww Member Posts: 7
    The car I test drove in the Houston area the other day did have a sunroof.

And Mike, I appreciate your review, the pictures, and the info on the color choices! The Santa Fe I test drove was a beauty! It was a Limited with a sunroof, Natural Khaki with beige (maybe ivory?) leather interior. It was the only one at the dealership, but they were thinking they'd be getting more soon. They did not seem too eager to sell it to me, but I want a 3rd row seat anyway -- so I'll have to wait :cry: By the way, this dealership said it would be a couple of months before the 3rd row is available. So that would be in line with the September date Mike had.

I have been researching mid-size SUV's for almost a year. I only replace my car every 10 years, so I want to make a good choice! After spending a short time test driving and checking over the Santa Fe, I knew I had finally found the car I've been waiting for! I've put a year's worth of research away, and can stop obsessing. I've test driven the Rav4, Highlander, 4Runner, Murano, Pilot and several vans -- and,saw countless others at a car show. The Santa Fe's combination of styling, features and price is the only car that has made me smile on all 3 counts!

My husband drives a Lexus and he said it's the only car I test drove, that he would like to drive himself! He was very impressed with this SUV, as was I.

Now, I'll just hope my 10-year-old van holds out a couple of more months!

Great job, Hyundai :)
  • Options
    As Linda was saying, the sunroof is available now: there was a Slate Blue GLS model also on the lot - it had the Premium Package which includes a sunroof. Curiously, it cost $200 more than the SE sitting next to it! No thanks!
    :surprise:

Mike
  • Options
    Here's the complete exterior palette:

Steel Gray
    Slate Blue
    Silver Blue
    Powder White Pearl (PIO)
    Platinum Sage
    Natural Khaki
    Golden Beige
    Ebony Black
    Deep Water Blue
    Dark Cherry Red
    Bright Silver
    Arctic White

Here's the complete interior palette:

Black (LIMITED trim only)
    Gray
    Beige

Here are the invoice prices:
    GLS FWD 5M = $19689
    GLS AWD 5M = $21569
    GLS FWD 4A = $20817
    GLS AWD 4A = $22697
    SE FWD = $21990
    SE AWD = $23850
    LIMITED FWD = $23870
    LIMITED AWD = $25710

I have invoices on the packages/options if anyone wants those as well.

Passenger volume is 108.3 (cu.ft.). For comparison, the Toyota Highlander has 104.7.

Mike
  • Options
    driveyourwaydriveyourway Member Posts: 2
    Good news Santa Fe fans. The Alabama plant began production of the Touring Package (third row seat and rear climate control) last week -- that means they should be at dealers in the next few weeks. :)
  • Options
    j051499j051499 Member Posts: 5
    Yes, please share the invoice prices on the packages and options. Currently debating between this and the Honda Pilot. Anyone know if the Hyundai dealers will be willing to sell near invoice for this new model, yet? I was planning to buy new car this weekend, due to most dealerships having 4th of July specials, but if I go with the Santa Fe, I will wait until the third-row seat is available.

Can anyone who has test driven both vehicles provide a direct comparison between the 2006 Honda Pilot EX-L 4WD and the 2007 Santa Fe Limited AWD?

Thanks!
  • Options
    jveneziajvenezia Member Posts: 85
    Anyone know if the Hyundai dealers will be willing to sell near invoice for this new model, yet?

Great question. I doubt that they will, at least for the near term. There have been such great previews/reviews of the Santa Fe (all the ones I've see have been very positive) that Hyundai knows it should have a hot item on its hands and should be able to keep selling prices away from invoice. On the other hand, it's still an SUV with (in my opinion) still mediocre fuel mileage and may need to kick start it a bit. I'll bet they'll do that with a small cash incentive ($500??) and a Hyundai owner incentive of $1,000. Remember, too, that they still have a lot of '06 models to move out. I think that later this fall, we'll see how things shake out and see what, if any, sales incentive strategy Hyundai employs to move its new Santa Fe.

To be honest, I'm also curious about the '07 Tucson and Kia Sportage. A wildly popular model like the Santa Fe may put a real crimp in those two vehicles' sales (yes, I know that the sizes are very different from the Santa Fe, but still...). Will they become the neglected little brothers?
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Note the similarity in colors to the Sonata. I guess that is to be expected since they come from the same plant--good way to save money and keep quality up.
  • Options
    dastolfodastolfo Member Posts: 4
    Ok,

This may be a long shot, but here goes. I will be looking to buy (in GTA Ontario Canada) in the next 2 months. I plan on getting the GLS Premium w AWD option. So, whenever that comes out is when I am in. I hope to get APA or Car Cost Canada membership to get a handle on invoicing. Now, if there were others in the area, who were looking to buy, we could possibly go in and buy in numbers as a group? I would think that although these will be hot and deals will be thin that a dealer is not going to turn their heads if we make a reasonable offer as a group. I would also expect that we would still deal individually with the dealer, but would just commit at the same time... Crazy? Could it work? Interested?

Dave
  • Options
    jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    To be honest, I'm also curious about the '07 Tucson and Kia Sportage. A wildly popular model like the Santa Fe may put a real crimp in those two vehicles' sales (yes, I know that the sizes are very different from the Santa Fe, but still...). Will they become the neglected little brothers?

jvenezia,

It is about time to see these younger brothers slowing down. In fact, ever since these two came out, the old Santa Fe has taken a serious beating (at least 30% off in sales). The main reason was these new vehicles and the outgoing Santa Fe have similar size at the same time the Tucson/Sportage are being priced a lot less.

jt
  • Options
    bearishly4ubearishly4u Member Posts: 38
    I just pulled up the Hyundai website and it says it's available now but you can't build it. I'm in the market for an SUV and have driven several but yet to find "the one" I didn't care for the style of the 06 but the 07 looks very nice. Any ideas if it's more roomie that the Kia Sorento? It was ok but at 6'4" I had some trouble entering the suv.
  • Options
    I tested an SE a couple of days ago (my review is a few posts up) and it is notably roomier than both the old Santa Fe and the Sorento.

Passenger space, cu.ft.

BMW X5 = 97.6
    Volkswagen Touareg = 99.0
    2001-06 Hyundai Santa Fe (SM) = 100.7
    Mazda CX-7 = 101.7
    Lexus RX = 102.0
    Volvo XC90 = 102.4
    Kia Sorento = 105.8
    Honda CR-V = 106.0
    Mitsubishi Endeavor = 106.7
    Toyota Highlander = 106.9
    2007 Hyundai Santa Fe (CM) = 108.3
    Jeep Grand Cherokee = 108.9
    Nissan Murano = 109.9

Mike
  • Options
    I tested an SE at my local dealer today and I have to agree with everything Mike stated regarding the '07 Santa Fe. This is one quiet, refined, smooth riding vehicle. They absolutely stole the ride and handling from the lexus playbook. My wife hammered it on the highway and it really took off like WoW! Has great roadside and highway manners to boot.

The stereo system was very good IMO. Although they didn't have a limited to test since they only received just two on the lot. According to the manager they would be getting in about ten by the end of this week. There was no brochure available but I would expect that this will be the next hottest item in Hyundai's growing portfolio of redesigns and new product intros.

There are some nits I have with the '07 Santa Fe. For instance why didn't they add a driver side grab handle? The other one are those wretched grey plastic interior door handles. What would it have cost for them to make them chrome? They're chrome on their new Entourage. So what gives? It just seems from my perspective to take away from a very well done up-market interior.

This is one of the frustrating things that I sometimes don't get about Hyundai. Maybe if enough consumers demand it they will listen. Hyundai are you listening?

Aside from that this is one very nice carlike SUV.
  • Options
    marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    are you saying that, for comparison purposes, an 07 SF has about the room of a Grand Cherokee???...while I really want something about the size of an Explorer, I could live with the size of a Grand Cherokee...this helps put it in perspective, if I understand you correctly...

Now, if they have an even bigger model coming out soon, that would be, uh, the cat's meow...:):):):)
  • Options
    Yes, the GC and SF are very similarly size inside. I think you'll find, though, that the Hyundai handles better, rides smoother, is quieter, more comfortable, and is of higher quality than the Jeep. It's also far more economical.

However, you are also correct when you allude to Hyundai offering a larger SUV in the near future. The as-yet-unnamed model will be available sometime this winter, and will offer more luxury than the entry-level Santa Fe. Seating for seven adults will be standard, as will a powerful 3.8-liter V6 engine and 6-speed automatic transmission. Though loosely based on the new Santa Fe, styling will be 100% unique -- as seen in a multitude of recent spy shots. If you're really wanting a para-fullsized ute, it might be wise to wait a few months and check this one out.

Mike
  • Options
    jarekjarek Member Posts: 24
    I have also tested '07 Santa Fe with 2.7L V6 but my general impression in regards to acceleration was that the car was sluggish. What engine had the car that you tested?
    jerr
  • Options
    The SE comes standard with the 3.3L 242hp. That's a 57hp difference between the two motors. I'm sure the 3.3L motor pulls the Santa Fe's weight around much better.
  • Options
    jarek it was the 3.3 v6 motor. This was a very responsive powerplant with a nice angry growl. The rest of the time the Santa Fe was so quiet you couldn't really tell how fast you were going. The other thing that I didn't mention was that we took it down this really craved up asphalt street and it barely registered any noise intrusion. I'm not sure what size tires were on the SE we tested but it certainly was lexus-like quiet and smooth.

Can't say enough about how smooth the ride was.
  • Options
    musky1gfmmusky1gfm Member Posts: 36
    Mike,
    Would appreciate all the other invoice pricing you have.Thanks for what you have posted already.
  • Options
    jjones4jjones4 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for responding to my question Mike. Nice pics/review.
  • Options
    GLS

Option Group 11 (Touring Package): $1167
    Option Group 12 (Premium Package + Touring Package): $2607
    Option Group 23 (Premium Package): $1440

SE

Option Group 11 (Touring Package): $1110
    Option Group 14 (Touring Package + Premium Package): $2550
    Option Package 15 (Touring Package + Ultimate Package): $4575
    Option Group 24 (Premium Package): $1440
    Option Group 25 (Ultimate Package): $3465