Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan GT-R - Does Honda Have an Answer?

bf109acebf109ace Member Posts: 77
edited March 2014 in Honda
Nissan will bring the 473hp GT-R to the U.S. next spring. I wonder why Honda does not bring to its lineup a super sports car in addition to the 2010 NSX, which commends a price tag of over $100K.

S2000 is excellent though the design and styling are getting old. I'd like to see Honda comes up with a more power sport car like the GT-R, with V6 turbo or V8. Honda has the technology and expertise. But neither Honda nor Toyota builds anything like the GT-R. Why?

Comments

• Options
    ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    You might find some like-minded souls in the Nissan GT-R discussion if you haven't already discovered them.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• Options
    spidey0123spidey0123 Member Posts: 1
    well basically I think it's because the GTR aka Godzilla is a "one of a kind" tour de force from Japan that no other Japanese performance car had got closer in comparison to.. It's a legend.. it had made records and feats in the motorsports world unmatched by any other Japanese brands.. Honda and Toyota find it difficult to compete with it.
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    It was a great car, no doubt, 15-20 years ago.

But somehow I don't think Honda and Toyota are going to lose any sleep over it in 2008.
  • Options
    truetellertrueteller Member Posts: 28

But somehow I don't think Honda and Toyota are going to lose any sleep over it in 2008.

I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Anyway, it never hurts to have a performance flagship. The idea is to get GT-R fans to become bigger Nissan fans so they recommend Altimas and Muranos to their friends if given an opportunity. Its good for company stock to be #1 at something.

I think it was the latest Road and Track Owners survey that said the NSX had the highest customer loyalty of any recent production model. For now Honda and Toyota are missing out on that type of publicity. The 3 letters on everyones lips right now are G T R
  • Options
    acceleratoraccelerator Member Posts: 136
    In the case of the GTR, the other #1 title the GTR can claim is in the fugly category. Does that counter the other #1 category it holds? ;)
  • Options
    In the case of the GTR, the other #1 title the GTR can claim is in the fugly category. Does that counter the other #1 category it holds?

I agree, not the most beautiful car ever made. But aggressive styling doesn't necessarily hurt with supercars.
  • Options
    The Stealth Bomber comes to mind. :)

Wasn't Toyota coming out with a new Supra or has that been tabled? I remember seeing a white concept and that was pretty sharp looking but concepts don't always make it to fruition.
  • Options
    The Stealth Bomber comes to mind.

Wasn't Toyota coming out with a new Supra or has that been tabled? I remember seeing a white concept and that was pretty sharp looking but concepts don't always make it to fruition.

This is the latest I've heard. Since partnering with Subaru, I think Toyota is leaning towards the Celica as a sort of Impreza coupe with an optional STI version at 300hp. If its light enough that should be able to perform decently, at a much smaller purchase price than a GT-R.

Celica
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118

"I'm not quite sure what you mean."

I meant that Honda and Toyota are not losing sleep over Nissan sales figures, and they're not likely to change their thinking just because a relative two-bit player like Nissan now has a "flagship."

I do agree that it's great that Nissan is doing it - you're right, it doesn't hurt to have a flagship.
  • Options
    ljgbjgljgbjg Member Posts: 374
    Uh...nobody has an answer to the GT-R!!!! Comparo tests have it beating the pants of M3, Corvette Z06, and Porsche Carrera GT3
  • Options
    Honda already produced the answer... S2000. if you don't believe me, ask my pocket book. I can afford an S2000; I cannot afford a GTR. Thankfully, the GTR will never beat the pants off of me since I wont set foot (or any other body part) in a GTR. :)

But I'm guessing this probably isn't the answers you are looking for. :) Just a light-hearted response on this hectic Tuesday. :shades:
  • Options
    ljgbjgljgbjg Member Posts: 374
    The S2000 is a great sports car in the tradition of British 2 seat roadsters taken to the limit - MUCH more reliable, MUCH quicker (I had mine up to 150+ once), much better EVERYTHING. It is no cruiser with 4000 RPM/76 MPH on the Interstate, and it is no 1/4 mile dragster, thought its numbers are respectable it is not in GTR territory - not even the NSX was!. Perhaps Honda can come up with a 4 liter, DOHC V-8 with 480 HP and 9000 RPM redline - two 2.0 liter S2000 engines! THEN it might answer the GTR and without too much more room necessary in the engine compartment! :D
  • Options
    bigmclargehugebigmclargehuge Member Posts: 377
    High revs make a fun noise, but are not always the fastest option for a road car.

It might compete with an M3 with a 320tq double-2.0, but not a GT-R. Unless its made from carbon-fiber and tissue paper, it can't be without 400-500tq.

Audi has come to terms that a high-revving V8 wasn't the best choice over a V6 TT

BMW is realizing the potential of the I-6 TT over the high-revving V8 released at the same time

Frankly, to get a high-revving naturally aspirated engine to produce that much torque, it might as well be a 5.0-7.0L engine. And unless you're going with a big Chevy V8, it might as well be a V10-V12. Somewhere in the range of 550-650hp.

Look at the engines in the 599GTB and Gallardo versus the F430, M3, and RS4. The V8s built so far to your spec all have about the same grunt. The V10-12's are more in the range of what Honda is looking for. Honda probably has the right idea.

Besides, they'd all be better off cutting their engines in half and TT-ing them.
This discussion has been closed.