Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    It's funny how expectations change. Many of the first gen owners (who got to choose between grey or grey) wanted a beige option. A few reviewers remarked that the grey interior was too drab and could be spiced up with either lighter or darker accents.

Honda pretty much answered both those original concerns and we still aren't happy! =)
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you "refresh" without going elsewhere in Town Hall first, your message will get reposted. Something about the way our software works....

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    carm3carm3 Member Posts: 10
    its been 7 weeks and no they did not have a ship date and vin num. am i being jerked around, i feel like going to a liberty or escape with no wait.
  • Options
    crv139crv139 Member Posts: 41
    the dealer should have an approximate date when the car will be in like what month.. approximately 3-4 weeks prior the should have the ship date and vin. go ask your dealer when they expect it to come in. if they can not give you a time frame then check out another dealer. All the dealers in the buffalo NY area, can tell you what colors, type and month they will come in.
  • Options
    brian8588brian8588 Member Posts: 2
    when is honda going to release the crvs that are in the port of baltimore? i ordered my crv in the middle of april from a baltimore honda dealer. why is honda inspecting them before they are released?
  • Options
    bajie1bajie1 Member Posts: 6
    Hi, All,
    Why does my 2002 CRV(Auto, LX) make very loud and strange noise between speed 56-59 mph? Any one
    experience the same problem? Thanks in advance.

Wei
  • Options
    sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    Re ateixeira May 31, 2002 11:36am :

All I had to do was log into ahm-ownerlink.com (I'm already registered) to find out that my 2000 CR-V was not a part of the recall. . . .
  • Options
    jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    Honda is releasing them now. They are undergoing an inspection to ensure that they are up to Honda's standards.

Jerry
  • Options
    sophie333sophie333 Member Posts: 4
    Hello all,

At the risk of sounding like a repetitious idiot, I wrote in a couple days ago but got no response. I just paid 13,900 for a 99/EX (certified), 58,000 miles, w/aftermarket sunroof. I was a little put off by the mileage, but everyone kept assuring me not to worry about that. The vehicle appears to be in very good shape. A lot of you seem very knowledgeable, so I'd like to know if you think I got a decent deal or not. Thanks!
  • Options
    subzero206subzero206 Member Posts: 111
    i cant think off the top of my head but u should check kelly blue book.
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    Edmunds.com values a '99 EX automatic with 58,000 miles in "outstanding" condition in my area of the US (Western NY) as worth $13,318 from a private party, $14,934 from a dealer, or $15,584 if its a Certified Used Vehicle. Edmunds defines Certified Used Vehicle: "Vehicle has been inspected, reconditioned and warrantied as part of a manufacturer or authorized reseller program".

Sounds like you got a good deal, if you add in the value of the sunroof.

JM2C
  • Options
    sophie333sophie333 Member Posts: 4
    Oops....I forgot to add that it's a five-speed. Yes, I know what Edmunds has to say, but I thought you all might have some more "real world" perspective. Also, anybody else experiencing trouble with the keyless entry door locks? I've already had it in to be fixed for this and the part was on back order. I figured it must be a bit of a common problem.
  • Options
    Sophie, I responded in the other thread where you posted this. I wouldn't worry about the mileage. My '99 (also a five speed) has been a joy. I've got more than 60K on it.
  • Options
    robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    I waited a long time too, and I know how frustrating it gets. It was definitely worth the wait for me, though. I would encourage you to wait for the car that you really love, rather than settle for one you can get immediately, if your current vehicle is safe and reliable. If you really can't wait, try looking for a different color or option package that is available on a lot somewhere, or spend the extra $ to make your current car run for another month or 2.

I ended up having to buy tires for a car I traded in on the CRV 2 months before we traded because I didn't feel confident in the tires that were on there. Bad timing, but the CRV was the ideal car for my situation, so I was willing to wait for it.

good luck!
  • Options
    carm3carm3 Member Posts: 10
    were in europe, will it have the same quality and if they are being inspected now any guess if my ex is there and when i will get it. ordered on
    4-8-02 , dealer is in north east pa.
    thanks
  • Options
    sriley6544sriley6544 Member Posts: 12
    Just closed a deal yesterday on a CRV (EX w/5 speed manual transmission). Dealer essentially split the difference between invoice and MSRP - I ended up paying exactly $800 over invoice. Felt pretty good about the price given that it was below Edmund's TMV and also since all the other local dealers weren't coming off MSRP. Seems like all the dealers here are selling any CRV's that make it on to the lot in less than 24 hours.

I'm waiting for Silver - had the same experience as other posts - dealer says it might be as long as 3-4 months before I get my car. I'm hoping maybe the shipment in Baltimore being released will make my wait shorter than anticipated.

I was thinking about holding off on my purchase until the time the 2003 model was to come out, but now I'm glad I didn't given the long wait for the Silver color.
  • Options
    psulionpsulion Member Posts: 1
    This is my first post but I have been reading this board for a few months now. I'm looking to buy a 2002 CR-V and have checked with Sussman Honda and J.L. Freed Honda. Both dealers are selling at MSRP. We have bought 2 Hondas from Sussman since '99 and they still will not cut us a break on price. Does anyone know of a Honda dealer in the Philly area that is selling less than sticker?
  • Options
    kw_carmankw_carman Member Posts: 114
    In NC, which dealer did you use? Was it by any chance Flow Honda in W-S? Maybe in High Point (Vann York) or Greensboro (Crown)?
  • Options
    skim23skim23 Member Posts: 3
    Hi guyz! I am from chicago and I am finally picking up a 2002 CR-V tomorrow (ordered 3 weeks ago). My first choice was silver, but they said I will have to wait more than a month so I am just getting a blue one (they told me it's the second most popular color, but really? -_-). Anywayz, I am thinking about getting this Honda remote for keyless entry on Ebay (around $19.99). Have anyone bought and installed it? I wonder if it's really easy to install as they say. I am no mechanic, heh heh ^_^
  • Options
    sriley6544sriley6544 Member Posts: 12
    kw_carman

I used Leith Honda in Raleigh.

Good luck.
  • Options
    chayachaya Member Posts: 18
    Well they installed my new amp, speakers and dynamat Saturday, and I am a very happy camper, er, I mean driver.

Details: Kicker 300.4 amp, BA component for front doors/tweeters, BA coax for back doors.

Before: the sound was muddy to me - don't know how else to describe it. Now: the sound is crystal clear. It sounded like Sam Bush was sitting next to me in the car playing his mandolin. I played full orchestra classical and full bluegrass band acoustic, and the installer played full electric blues, it all sounds great on this set up.

Before: I had to close all the windows and the sun roof to hear the music - even if I used the fader to give all the power to the front speakers. Now: the highest I've had to crank up the volume was to 5 lines, and that was only on the highway, at over-the-limit speeds with the windows and sunroof open.

The Dynamat: the installer told me its real purpose is to shield the speakers from the metal in the doors to prevent distortion. I had them install full door Dynamat in the front, and it does dampen the road noise too. There is still the noise coming up from the tires, but the side noise is definitely less.

The best part is that the amp went under the driver's seat and the speakers went into all the factory locations so the car doesn't look like it has any upgrade at all.

If sound is important to you, I think upgrading the sound is worth it - the difference is amazing. It was my only complaint about this car, so now I have none at all.
  • Options
    subzero206subzero206 Member Posts: 111
    u still using the stock deck right?
  • Options
    gatorgreggatorgreg Member Posts: 91
    Hey chaya, I've also got BA cozials in the back of my 'V, they're great. The OEM rear speakers were awful IMO. They look like they came out of a cracker jack box and weigh about as much as a paper plate :):):) However, I've been holding off on doing anything to the front speakers. I assume since you have a sunroof that you have a 2nd gen? If so, did they have to take apart the dash to put in the component tweeters or does the tweeter grill in the dash just pop off? I really don't like the idea of having my dash taken apart just to add new tweeters. For pics of my setup, click HERE
  • Options
    gatorgreggatorgreg Member Posts: 91
    Hey skim, I don't know about the 2nd gen, but for the 1st gen it was really easy to "install" the remotes. All you have to do is press the buttons and turn the key in a certain sequence as described in the directions, piece of cake. You don't have to unscrew or take apart anything. Make sure you get a remote for your particular model year. I think they made some minor changes over the years to them, maybe in '99? That e-bay price seems awfully cheap. Most of the on-line Honda parts places have them priced much higher than that, but they come in pairs. Maybe the one at e-bay is a single used remote?
  • Options
    hey gatorgreg, thanks for the info. but how do you know which one is 1st gen or 2nd gen? since it's almost the end of 2002 model year, will my CR-V be a 2nd gen? hmmm
    Yes the one at e-bay is a single used one. so cheap it freaks me out. hee hee. Finally, do you know where I can get the instruction for installment? Thanks a lot!
  • Options
    WHAT DOES "CR-V" STAND FOR???

am I the only one who doesn't know!?

no idea -_-;
  • Options
    ficklefickle Member Posts: 98
    How much did your set up cost?
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    CR-V=Comfortable Runabout Vehicle

Goto the link if you don't believe:

http://world.honda.com/news/2001/4010918.html

• Options
    Skim - You can read install instructions here.

1st gen vs 2nd generation refers to the model design. CR-Vs built between 1996 and 2001 are first generation vehicles. They are the first design of the CR-V. The 2002 CR-V is the second generation model.

[edit] woops! Protege beat me to it. He is correct, CR-V stands for Comfortable Runabout Vehicle.

• Options
    First thing's first: Did you get an LX or EX model? If you ordered an EX, just forget about it; you'll have this option already installed!

If you ordered an LX . . . check that eBay listing again carefully, and verify that the seller specifically says that it work with a 2002 CR-V LX. Email the seller if you have to.

What you should know is that all first-generation (1996-2001) CR-Vs had the keyless "receiver" already built in at the factory. EX owners were given a pair of pre-programmed remotes; LX owners of these model years could simply buy compatible remotes and then "train" the built-in receiver to recognize them.

In contrast, Honda did not install the receiver into the 2002 LX; you (or a friendly auto tech) need to add it. The keyless entry kit from Honda includes both remotes and a receiver. Can you install it yourself? Look here and decide for yourself:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/crv/02CRVKEYLESS.pdf

The bottom line is that if your eBay seller is selling just the remote, but not the receiver for the 2002 CR-V, you won't get anywhere productive.
  • Options
    racerxnjracerxnj Member Posts: 1
    Although I don't tend to buy cars during the first year of production, the CR-V was hard to pass up (too bad the dealer wouldn't budge on the price, even after referring over 15 people during the past 5 years). The only real problem I have with the car is that it pulls a bit to the right (a few owners have complained about this as well). I bought some accessories from H and A Accessories http://www.handa-accessories.com/crv02.html . They also have installation instructions for the accessories too! I'm waiting for a roof rack from Yakima..Does anyone know when it will come out? Overall, I'm lovin' the car...er, truck. ;)
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Was there a 1996 model? RAV4 came out in 1996, but the CR-V only came out in 1997, right?

I remember because I was shopping all of these back then, and only made a purchase in 1998 after the Forester became available.

-juice
  • Options
    Juice - The CR-V was released in Japan as a 96 model. US dealers were happy selling Passports and didn't want it. A year later, they saw the RAV4's success and jumped on the bandwagon a year late. It was actually a bunch of press guys from New Zealand who, after driving the CR-V on a test track, got the ball rolling.
  • Options
    tmeframetmeframe Member Posts: 80
    Hi Chaya - Congrats on the stereo upgrade. I bet it sounds great!!

The explanation on Dynamat from your installer leaves a little bit to be desired. Dynamat is designed to reduce the resonant frequency of the panel it's applied to by increasing its stiffness and mass, and has nothing to do with "shielding" the speakers from the door metal. Dynamat contains no mu metal, so its effective magnetic shielding is zero.
  • Options
    A Ha! I see. Some times I forget this is a World Wide Web.

-juice

PS Go Brazil! Anyone else watching World Cup Soccer? Anyone? Bueler?
  • Options
    Juice - We just like to mention the '96 model so we can look like know-it-alls when someone else asks about it. =)
  • Options
    tntitantntitan Member Posts: 306
    How much did your sound upgrade cost? What was the installation charge?
  • Options
    fern88fern88 Member Posts: 42
    Go Argentina!!!

Although Ronaldo's first goal was really nice today...it was a great pass to him.
  • Options
    lydiaklydiak Member Posts: 1
    I picked up my 2002 Honda CRV about 4 weeks ago.
    I didn't do a test drive first! We've had such good experience with Honda in the past and the reliability plus ingress/egress were the primary priorities here.
    This car rides like an old truck! I feel every strip of tar on the highway, even at 65mph...worse of course, at slower speeds. Service dept. removed some of the air from these Bridgestone tires but it didn't help. I'm glad I don't drive long distances or this car would cause another ruptured spinal disc.
    Otherwise I love my new car.
    Will it help to get new tires? Or does anyone think the problem could be something else...do cars still have shock absorbers?
  • Options
    Frankly, if the ride is so bad that you are actually wondering if the factory forgot to install shock absorbers, then I would think it's beyond the help of a mere tire swap. (I'm hoping that you're being facetious here.)

Maybe you should test drive another CR-V to make sure that yours isn't just an aberration? By the way, what is the pressure in the tires now? And for comparison purposes, what was your previous car?
  • Options
    fasteddie9fasteddie9 Member Posts: 63
    lydiak, did you lower the pressure to 26 psi?
  • Options
    robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    lowering from >40psi shipped to 26psi should have made a very big difference. If you couldn't feel the difference, check the tires with a gauge to make sure they lowered them to the recommended number.

Also, I think there is a difference between feeling the bumps in a good way and in a bad way. I think the CRV transmits a decent amount of road feel - ie you get some feedback of what kind of bumps, etc. you're driving on. But, it does a good job of absorbing the resulting impacts, you feel the terrain in your hands slightly, but not enough to change steering or jar the rest of your body. I prefer this to not getting any road feedback, like in a larger luxury comfort tuned car.

If this isn't what you're experiencing, if it's more jarring impacts, etc., definitely drive another and refer it to your dealer to have the suspension checked.
  • Options
    trilliumstevetrilliumsteve Member Posts: 35
    I picked up my 2002 last Thursday, and for the first 60 miles, I felt every grain of sand on the road. When I checked my tires, they each had 48 pounds (tires were warm) in them! I lowered the pressure to about 27 and the ride became much smoother. No pull to the right either!

An earlier post talked about something called "torque steer", and how the CR-V has been know to have it. Can anybody either explain what torque steer is, or point to a link somewhere that explains it? Thanks!
  • Options
    chayachaya Member Posts: 18
    I think the whole thing came to about $1300-1400. I tend to close my eyes when I hand over a credit card for something this expensive. Actual costs for components can be found at http://www.al-eds.com/

Installation was $195, which considering it took an experienced installer (and one I trust - I've worked with these guys before) 6 hours to do, was a bargain. They paid for a rental car too.

The front speakers were the most expensive item - BA Pros - and that is also the most subective part of the process. My favorites were an MBQuart set which was $1500, but that was way out of my price range.

One way I could have saved $150 or so was to not let them talk me into a speaker line output to RCA converter. But I'm not sorry I did - given the length of cableling required, the better cables probably make a difference.

I still use the factory head unit because it has several advantages over aftermarket ones, including the large buttons and the in-dash 6 CD changer (I've got the '02 EX). Probably would cost about $1000 to replace it, and then it would advertise to the world that I upgraded the stereo.

• Options
    tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    The other day I was doing 80 MPH according to
    my speedometer but people were passing me.Could it
    be my speedometer is wrong? Or are people doing
    90-100 mph during a commute? I have 3000 miles
    on my CRV and I like driving it more than looking at it.Form follows function.The back is okay but
    the front looks like one those stuffed animals with big eyes.
  • Options
    ssoto1ssoto1 Member Posts: 66
    Hi wanted to know if anyone else is having the same problem that I'm having.Just last night when I went to get on the highway I had to step on the gas down all the way and the 2002 CR-V ex auto.did not even pull me it just went slow.It rev'ed but nothing much. I have a 1992 nissan sentra with a 1.6 liter and it has a better pull when I step on it what gives.But when I'm driving reg.It moves pretty well.
  • Options
    varmint: I can't believe I fell for your bait! ;-)

Sergio: was it in overdrive? The tranny probably hadn't downshifted yet. Most modern trannies are adaptive and will "learn" your driving style, so hopefully it'll give you more gear sooner with time.

-juice
  • Options
    ssoto1ssoto1 Member Posts: 66
    Sould i take it to the dealer or just hang in there until it learns that I want to drive kinda fast lol
  • Options
    eastsideeastside Member Posts: 2
    I just picked up a 2002 and after reading the posts, dropped the pressure in all 4 tires to recommended (26-27) and it made a great difference in "feel!" Good advice. Anyone found a bugscreen for a 2002?