Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• gwapogwapo Member Posts: 20
    could anyone please explain the "axle ratio" in proportion to horsepower and torque? thanks
  • gwapogwapo Member Posts: 20
    btw, thanks slugline for your reply =)
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Like the lady said, you'll get a bigger discount when the '01 becomes distressed merchandise.

BUT, if you then decide on the '02, you will have to wait to get a deal. The new Civics are discounted nicely these days, not so when they first came out.
  • joncodjoncod Member Posts: 4
    I feel that I need to thanks lots of folks on this board for helping me to make my decision to purchase a 2001 CR-VEX with the automatic. I live in the Boston area, an was able to purchase my CR at $50.00 under invoice. I looked at all that was out there, the Forester, Escape, Tribute, portage, and the Rev 4. I went with the Honda because of their resale value, and their excellent reputation. I had a 1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport and when trade in time came I was offered $10,000. It had only 29K miles and was in excellent condition. I sold it privately. My CR is only a week old and has only 350 miles on it, and so far I'm pleased with my purchase. I can't get over how comfortable the ride is, and how well it holds the road! My only concern it with the driving position. I'm 5'9", and I just can't seem to get used to the angle of the steering wheel. If I put the seat up my arms are comfortable, but my legs aren't. If I make my legs comfortable, I feel like I'm driving with my arms stretched out. It this something I will eventually get used to? Am I missing something here? Other than that, it's great! Thanks again :)
  • jderrjderr Member Posts: 5
    Hi all,

I've heard that child seat tether anchors are standard on the 2001. I have a 2000 EX...anyone know what type of anchors these are and if they are actually welded somehow or just bolted? If they are bolted to the frame, could I get them for my 2000?

Thanks for any info.
  • al63017al63017 Member Posts: 149
    Well I have had my 2000 EX CRV for over a year (16 months) so time to trade. 17,400 should sell fast I hope. 26000 miles/ 23 mpg usually or better.

Love the car it is great just a little too small for me and my needs. Wow Honda quality it just does not get any better than that. From someone that has put some miles on one they are great!!!
  • guxuguxu Member Posts: 32
    My V is one week old also, and has 130 miles on it. I am 5'10" (actually between 5'9" and 5'10":), but seems I have no problem for seat position. I think adjust seat height and seatback will help.

It's a great truck (car?), but did you notice how cheap the interior material is? Just touch the ceiling and sun visor, you will know what I am saying.

The Child Seat Anchors are actually near the top of the hatch glass. I have not tried it yet, but will the belt look ugly and block part of the rear view?
  • indecisivegirlindecisivegirl Member Posts: 1
    joncod- What dealership did you use to get you new CR-V. I am looking for recommendations as I would also like to buy one but the only dealership I know is on RT 9 in Natick and they were very rude to me.
    TIA for your help.
  • varmitvarmit Member Posts: 1,125
    Gwapo - I have a vague idea, but since I'm not 100% on the technical details, I'd recommend asking our hosts. Drew, in particular is pretty knowledgable about the technical stuff. There's a thread where you can ask them general questions (mostly about the forum, but, since lots of members read it, someone else may answer your question).

Joncod - I've found that the most comfortable driving position is to set the seats bolt upright. It didn't take me long to get used to it. My wife fought it for a while, but she's gotten used to it.

Jderr - Tether anchor points can be found in the ceiling at the back of the CR-V. There are two gray plastic plugs. These can be removed to uncover two screw holes. The tethers are screwed into these. Your owner's manual will describe the exact location.
    IndecisiveGirl - I purchased at Clair Honda in Norwood, MA. Unfortunately, the guy I bought from is no longer working there. I dunno about the rest of their sales team, but I've been happy with their service department.

p.s. All you Southern New Englanders should should take a look at what is being offered at the Mid Atlantic CR-V meet in June. See the link at http://hondasuv.com for details.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Thanks for your confidence in me, but I'm afraid that I myself am not too technically sound in that area as well. From what I know though (or at least what I think I know, LOL), a lower rear axle ratio (ex. 3.5 vs. 4.1; I think this means 3.5 revolutions of the prop shaft with one revolution of the rear axle/wheels??) means that you'll have good acceleration from a dead stop versus an identical vehicle with a higher rear axle ratio. But you will have worse fuel economy since the engine will be spinning at higher revs at highway speeds.

IIRC, vehicles with smaller engines are typically configured with lower rear axle ratios to make up for the lower horsepower/torque. This may be why a smaller engine may feel fairly quick when driving around town, but it may feel a bit out of breath at highway speeds.

I hope this helps a little. If you have more questions, may I recommend that you ask the same question in the Maintenance & Repair message board, and perhaps share the answer with us here?

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Indecisivegirl, I purchased my CRV from Honda Cars of Boston in Everett. The salespersons name was Jason Elfman. I was very pleased with the manner in which he handled my purchase, and would definitely purchase from him again in the future.
    VARMIT, I don't understand what you meant when you wrote "set the seats bolt upright" in reference to a more comfortable driving position? Are you refering to the two knobs on the side of the drivers seat, or do you mean the seat back?
    Thanks!
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    I think you have it backwards. You want the higher number for better acceleration and the lower number for lower rpm's and higher mpg's.

I don't know if it counts as "Boston area", but Peter's in Nashua is good (they also sell Nissan, Isuzu, Kia, and Hyundai, so you have some comparisons). Or also, try Lundgren in Auburn.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    A higher (numerical) axle ratio = better acceleration but poorer gas mileage and lower top speed. This I learned from years of reading car mags religiously while sitting in the can! Yeah I know, a little more info than you really want to know.
  • kwhkwh Member Posts: 68
    I went through the Honda lot the other day and was looking at CRV's. My wife informed me while we were looking that she had seen some low speed rear bumper tests on TV and the CRV had several thousand dollars of damage from a 3-5 MPH crash. The commentator stated the CRV was one of the worst ever tested. Does this sound right? I was looking at the new RAV-4 and it doesn't even have a back bumper. Anybody know where the spare tire will be on the 2002? The new Civics have a 5 star rating for both frontal & side impact.
    is one of the reasons for lousy crash performance. Just don't back into any trees.
    Joncod - Put the seatback in an almost fully upright position, adjust the cushion as you see fit, and tilt the wheel so that you can see the gauges. It's more like sitting in a dinning room chair than lounging in a lazyboy.

Your mileage may vary. This is the most comfortable position I've found, but I'm 6'2".

Kwh - The new RAV4 is the one that scored way at the bottom of the list. Right now, the Escape is actually the least expensive to repair. The old Soob Forester also scored well.

The CR-V did not earn a stellar rating, but I believe the final sum was about half what the RAV4 costs to repair. As far as rankings go, I think the CR-V falls somewhere in the middle. You can look it up on the IIHS web site.

No one knows anything about the 2002 CR-V, so the location of the spare is a mystery.
    Oh, one other thing. The Civic's five star ratings are for the safety crash tests. The bumper bash is not safety related.

In the NHTSA safety tests, the CR-V earned 3 five star ratings and 1 four star. Its IIHS offset crash was "marginal". The Forester scores highest in that test. Given the new Civic's impressive performance in the IIHS test, I think it's safe to say that the next CR-V will improve its offset score.

A year or two back, Honda completed construction of the industry's largest indoor crash testing facility. If I recall correctly, it houses eight different tracks. This facility allows them to ignore foul weather and test cars on a much more regular schedule. You'll note that every recent Honda design has earned very high marks in crash tests.
  • marlowe2marlowe2 Member Posts: 4
    Anyone know of a good place to lease a CRV in the Los Angeles area? What are the best deals people have gotten on a fully-loaded automatic? I'd like to not put a lot down and get a 3-year lease.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
    (Thanks also for comments on my previous message)

marlowe
    Lots of dealers will part with the CR-V at or near invoice. Your credit worthiness will determine the rest. Doesn't Edmunds have a lease calculator?
    There's a link to a lease comparison tool in this article:
    Answers to Three Tough Leasing Questions

There's some more advise on our Leasing page, including a DIY example if you're the type who likes to do their own taxes :-)

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • hisammyhisammy Member Posts: 2
    I need a car for work in June and I'm looking at the CRV already for a while. However I've hear some rumors that 02 model will be out soon and there will be a great discount on 01 model. I just found that Honda already provide 3.9% financing (from edmunds) and is it possible Honda will announce a cash back rebate later? I can wait until as late as July... Just have to drive my old dump car to work :P
    Honda does not offer consumer rebates. Sometimes they hand out dealer cash, which can represent a slightly better savings, but they may give it as an either/or deal, meaning that you get the financing or the reduced price, not both.
  • shaq2kobeshaq2kobe Member Posts: 42
    did you get to speak to any of the Honda reps about '02? I thought someone had posted that the '02 CRV would debut at the New York auto show.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...but I'm dropping by to see if any CRV owners would be interested in having a Honda CRV Owners Club on the Owner's Club Board.

No, it doesn't mean you will be forced to move from this discussion. It will always remain here in SUVs. Take a look through the Owner's Clubs board to see what other clubs are doing.

Let me know if you are interested!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
    Karen - Well... yeah, I guess there could be an interest. The CR-V is still a hot seller and Edmunds is the best consumer site around. However, most folks who already own CR-Vs have become firmly entrenched over at that site-that-shall-remain-nameless.

JM2C

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    But do they offer a Honda Community Page? Take a look at Subaru Community Page as an example. Take a run through the Owner's Clubs and see what other clubs are doing.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

maybe not, but they do have this rather, er, "strange" shall we say, Spy Pics article....perhaps it's best that it stays over there, lol.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    I love you too, Steve. =)

I'm not holding a six cylinder and saying, "this internet is too small for the both of us, partner". I just don't want you to go through the effort of setting up something as complex as all that, just because I'm interested. (I know how heavily my opinion is weighted around here and I have to be careful with such a powerful tool).

Hey, why doesn't Edmunds send a few delegates to the Mid Atlantic CR-V meet in MD? They're always looking for sponsors, too. :-)
    stay away from those MDXs, that could be trouble w/long waits and overpricing dealers.lol.But its still a great vehicle........
  • pauljon1957pauljon1957 Member Posts: 16
    I have a 1988 Accord with 150,000+ miles. Bullet proof engine. Has new clutch, tarns and disc. items. How does the CR 4-wheel drive system work? How bullet proof?
    Any weak links in the CR? I'm looking at a 1997 CR with 50000 miles at a dealer.

IA Paul
  • marlowe2marlowe2 Member Posts: 4
    Kind of hate to have to follow that, but...
    Ladychaos: wondering if, since it isn't a true 4WD, are insurance rates affected by choosing the 4WD over the 2WD? Is gas mileage affected by one over the other?

Thanks,

marlowe
    when you say replacement for '02, what do you mean? Do you mean I could buy a '02 and then have the engine replaced when the hybrid engines become available? or do you mean they will just make the CRV a hybrid vehicle? I would love to get a hybrid CRV, especially for the 100 miles a day I travel........lol
    Paul - In Consumer Report's latest car issue, they rated the CR-V as the most reliable vehicle (of any class) in the US market. Last year it was rated as the most reliable SUV, but was ranked in the top 7 or 8 overall. The RAV4 (old model) has also scored impressively high.

The 4 wheel drive system (RT4WD) isn't really a factor in the reliablility or mpg average for the CR-V. As Ladychaos pointed out, it acts like 2WD almost all of the time. Originally, the 2WD was given a slightly higher mileage rating than the 4WD. This was not because of it's mechanical effects on performance, rather it was the fact that the 2WD weighs less than the 4WD. The actual difference turned out to be negligible and was retracted. If MPG is your concern, owners have found that the 5 speed has a slight advantage over the automatic.

What are the mechanics of the system? It acts like a 2WD until there is a difference in speed between the front and rear axles. That is how it detects slippage. If the front tires are moving faster than the rears, then the system activates. The sytem will activate in reverse and will dissengage to allow antilock brakes to function. Also, the transfer of power to the rear wheels is progressive. The more slippage it detects, the more power it sends to the rear wheels.

How does it activate? There is a drive shaft leading to the rear differential that is spinning at all times. This shaft is engaged when pressure is built up in the viscous fluid in the differential. That fluid pushes wet clutch packs together and creates a link between the drive shaft and the rear axle. (Well, it's a bit more complex than that, but I want to keep this simple.)

How effective is it? Certainly it is better (in low traction situations) to have power going to your rear wheels before the slipping starts. For this reason, the CR-V is often maligned for having a slow system.

Despite the fact that I've never been stuck myself, reading these boards had me convinced that the system was gawd-awful slow. However, I had the chance to study it in action while at the Bradford, PA meet in the Allegheny Forest back in March. I watched a driver try to get unstuck and was able to see RT4WD in action repeatedly. It made me a believer once again. The rear tires engaged before the front tires had spun more than half a turn. In may cases, it appeared to be instantaneous.

Although I've owned a CR-V for two years, I'm always the one driving it in low traction conditions. I'd never been able to watch it happen before.

Okay, is that situation normal? Armed with this new experience, I asked a CR-V engineer who visits the CR-V IX forum. (Employed by Honda to develop fixes for any problems. What a boring job.) I asked if it was possible that the RT4WD was reacting faster than normal because the fluid was preheated. He said, "nope". He suggested that it's possible the clutch packs may have become "grabby" from recent use, but he doubted that this would have a significant effect. He also noted that overheated clutch packs would result in a greater possibility that the packs would slip. Ths discussion happened back at the end of March or maybe the first week of April if anyone would like to look it up in the CR-V IX archives. I'm writing from memory.

As for off-road ability... The CR-V will never compete with the likes of the Jeep Cherokee or Izusu Trooper. But for mild to moderate off-road use, it will go places that surprise many beast drivers (once again, note the 3 articles at the CR-V IX, this month alone). The Escape/Tribute and Sante Fe might be better choices due to their permanent AWD features (Ford's is like the CR-V, but it can be locked for low speed use. Nice!) I disagree with LadyChaos about the Forester, though. While it has a better AWD system, it's ground clearance is below average and its approach/departure angles are downright poor. It has a lesser chance of getting stuck on level, slick surfaces, but a greater chance of getting high-centered or stopped in its tracks by an obstacle. Traction problems will force you to use a $30 come-along. Rocks, ruts, and dead wood will force you to turn around.
    LadyChaos - Nope, I'm not sure about anything regarding the '02 CR-V. I posted over at the SUV.COM forum to see if any of the other "'02 Prophets" had comments. =)

Recently, there was a posting by a designer who "claims" to have driven the new CR-V. He reported 186 hp from the new engine. Naturally, we were a bit skeptical. However, our dear friend the CR-V Engineer (mentioned above) confirmed that some folks have driven one! He's bound by corporate policy to stay silent, of course. (CR-V IX posts start on April 20, but get very silly after that.)

Anyway, if the 186hp quote is correct, then I doubt we are talking about the 2.0L that I've suggested. It would have to rev up above 7,000 rpms to achieve that. The new hatchback Civic SI makes 180 hp from that same engine and would serve as a good preview. I doubt Honda will put something that revs that high in the CR-V.

My guesses about the i-VTEC 2.0 are based on the fact that the engine fits in the Civic platform, it has more power than the current block, and it conforms to Honda's policies about fuel efficiency and emissions. Also Honda is a conservative company and will probably not completely change a design that is still selling like crazy.

I understand why people like the 200 hp Escape, but folks have been happy for the past five years with efficient four bangers. The real world MPG figures for the Escape/Tribute are getting out to the public and people are listening. The new RAV4 seems to be selling quite well with a less powerful 2.0L than the one I'm suggesting. Power is not the only thing that gets poeple to buy these cars. Remember, Honda is in the business of selling cars. They do not make money solely by putting smiles on the faces of speed thirsty journalists. My guess is that Honda will put in an engine that will remove criticisms about power, but not much more. Honda still has to sell Izusu Passports for another year. When they introduce the next generation "Passport", buyers who want a Honda V-6 will have their truck.

As for hybrids... Honda is considering an IMA hybrid CR-V. They have said so in press releases (see TOV for details). However, the first thing Honda will do is try a hybrid Civic model. If that one sells well enough, they may introduce the hybrid CR-V later on. We're talking a few years at least, folks.
  • sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    My insurer offers quotes online, so I took a couple of minutes to compare two hypothetical situations based on my profile. The only variable was that one quote had a 2WD CR-V LX, and the other had an LX with RT4WD. (I drive an EX in real life.)

Under a policy with a rather generous amount of coverage beyond the state mandate, the RT4WD vehicle's premium was a dollar per month (roughly 1.5%) higher than the one without. Keeping in mind that the RT4WD LX is a more costly wagon to begin with, I'd say the impact of 4WD on insurance is negligible in the case of the CR-V.
  • sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    Is there something I'm missing about this concept? I took a look at the Subaru page, but I'm still unsure of what they have over there that is not possible in the regular Town Hall or elsewhere on Edmunds. Maybe you can complete this sentence:

"If a CR-V Owners Club is created, we will finally be able to _____________."
    LadyK - The torque ratings for the Civic si and Integra are 130 and 142, respectively. TOV has some info on both. You're right about the HP figure for the hatch.

As for the S2K, it makes 156ftlbs in the states. In the homeland, the S2K has 175ftlbs, but they are not LEVs.

I think that 186 hp is too much to expect from the i-VTEC 2.0L and keep the powerband low enough for the CR-V. That's why I think that, IF the 186 hp rumor is true, then we are talking about a completely different block.
    Based on the comments on 4X4 (or lack thereof), I guess if you want to use the CRV for SUV use, you should drive backwards off road? Good grief!!!

Also, not only is HAVING torque important, it is also important that it be AVAILABLE AT LOW RPM's, where it is most needed off road, climbing hills, pulling trailers, accelerating, etc.
    I am not sure any longer about the Porsche 944, but I know it made plenty of torque from a 4 banger. Maybe they should take the 2.2 from the Accord and work from there.

As the old saying goes: "THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT!".
    "Last night, we took the Jeep to a bonfire party. The new Jeep provided the tunes. The best part was getting to climb a big hill leading up to the party. The hill was almost 40 degrees and I climbed it in 4LO (just because I didn't have any other occasion to use it yet). I later went back up it in 4HI, but in 4LO, it feels like you could climb a wall! Coming down the hill in 4LO was a treat in that I let it idle down in 1st gear and just crept along, allowing the engine to slow our descent. Everone else had to take a pass and go around the long way and one highlight was watching a friend try to climb it in their CRV. After 2 failed attempts, I yelled to him that I had a strap and could pull him up if he wanted! He later acknowledged that the CRV was fine for suburban roads but wasn't a 4 wheeler. I then said, "but at least you can take the top off... No, wait a minute, that's out Jeep, too." He said the only way he'd forgive me for being so cruel was if I'd let him drive."
    Sasquatch - That's great! Got a point?

I don't think anyone here, other than yourself, has tried to pass off the CR-V as a true off-road capable vehicle. While I find the CR-V's ability enough to suit my needs, I always preface my comments with something like "mild to moderate off-road use", or, "it's no Jeep, but..". Other than proving that you have a firm grasp on the obvious, I don't see your point.

I also find it amusing that you mention Porsche's high torque four banger in the same post where you conclude that there's no substitute for displacement.

Lastly, there is a point to building torque at high rpms. While the low end is the prefered place for torque in off-road use, the high end is the place for on-road vehicles. To quote a link passed around here last year, "it's better to make torque at high rpms because you can take advantage of gearing". Since the CR-V is used on pavement 99.9% of the time, the high rpm design is actually the better of those two options. Obviously the best option is to have torque at both the high and low end. That's what VTEC technology allows an engine to do.

Based on your needs for off-road use, I'm kinda wondering why you keep posting here? There are plenty of good solid off-roaders on the market. Have you taken a look?
    ps. Last month I saw a Wrangler traveling from Southern MA to Northern VT filled with four people and two greyhounds in the back.... Oh wait, that was my CR-V.
    he really wants to get a CRV but he doesn't want to admit it, that's why he keeps posting here.hehehe
    I think that whoever invented that technology should be paid handsomely indeed.

I think you are right. I love my Honda, and would love another. I am just trying to gauge ALL user experiences (not just vomit's).
  • andy128828andy128828 Member Posts: 7
    The CRV is pointless, if you wanted a groecery getter than get a station wagon. You don't need the clearance, you don't need that pointless prissy roof rack. It just pisses me off when I'm driving my Jeep and I see P.O.S SUV wanna be's. I even saw a CRV TRYING to pull a camper!!!!! Really, you don't look cool, and no matter what you think you are just a Posser. So next time you are driving around think about how much utility you paid for and I bet you will realize that you are just driving an Accord with an ugly body and really ugly grille.
    Actually, I'm driving a Civic with an ugly body and grill. Eight years from now ask yourself how much utility you paid for when you look at the immobile pile-o-rust sitting in your driveway... To each his own.

Sasquatch - I guess I came down on you a little too hard, there. Sorry about that. It just seems pretty obvious to me that you'd be better off with the Cherokee, Xterra, or or even the GV. If you can wait for it, the new Liberty would be perfect (unless too expensive).
  • beatfarmerbeatfarmer Member Posts: 244
    First, I would like to say that SUV is possibly the worst marketing term ever created. Years ago, we just called them wagons (not station). Some may have know them as panel vans. But I guess those terms weren't sexy enough.

Second, no vehicle is pointless (unless it fails in the primary goal of providing transportation, and even then it may be considered on other merits).

As for being a Poser, well I would consider it a greater injustice to own a vehicle capable of great off-road prowess and never take it off the beaten path. I do hope thay you drive your Jeep to its fullest potential (if you haven't rolled it yet, you're not trying hard enought).