Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• Options
    sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    What is a GV?

I am not sure if I can wait for the Liberty, nor do I trust a new model, especially a Jeep. If it happens in the next month or two, maybe. Otherwise, I have a good deal on a '97 Trooper. A little bigger than a CRV, but at least it is a Japanese car which means more reliable.

Sorry if this post comes through twice, but I had to redo it, fixing the Japanese equivalent of "Swede", "Finn", or "Yank"; because I got slapped by the board censors for using what was termed "derogatory abbreviation".
  • Options
    namrag1namrag1 Member Posts: 10
    I have seen several CRV's where the owner has placed an EX emblem on them. I assume the emblem is from a Civic or Accord. Does anybody have any ideas on where to get those emblems? The Honda parts sites all offer the special gold or black chrome ones. I have yet to find one offering the normal silver chrome.
    Wonder why Honda places the EX, SE etc on their cars, but not on the CRV...
  • Options
    varmitvarmit Member Posts: 1,125
    "GV" is the abbreviation often used here for Grand Vitara.

The Trooper is an excellent beast. However, I'd say that it is considerably larger than the CR-V. One of the magazines (MotorTrend or Car & Driver) did a comparison test a while back. They set their limits using exterior dimensions and cargo capacity to determine which vehicles fit into what they considered the "full-size" category. The Trooper made it along with the Tahoe, Expedition, Landcruiser and a few others. The Hummer did not, due to its relatively small cargo capacity.
  • Options
    Namrag - I've wondered about that as well. It'd probably be fairly easy to find some at a junk yard. I'm not sure where they can be ordered, but a few are being offered as door prizes for the Mid Atlantic CR-V meet in Baltimore. If you're on the proper coast, check it out.
  • Options
    sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    I drive my CR-V around metro Houston, well away from any mountainous regions. So I guess I don't really need the ground clearance. . . . well, except for those episodes of street flooding (like we're expecting this afternoon) . . . or those steep driveways and pavement grades the road engineers like to put in for drainage around here . . . or the persistent irregularities in the pavement due to road construction. . . . and that's just what my CR-V goes through Monday through Friday. :)

I have just been reminded of why the underside of that station wagon I used to drive awhile back looked all beat up after a few years.

By the way, I find it implausible that a mature person of driving age could actually get "pissed off" in real life simply by what another person chooses to drive. So I'll kindly write off your comments as online "posing."
  • Options
    guxuguxu Member Posts: 32
    That's just my guess: CR-V was designed as a daily used car not a real truck. So the comfort features are more important. However, CR-V EX even SE does not provide many upgrades. That's why they do not put different emblems on them.

Back to several years ago, some base models (like Accord and Camry) did not even have A/C, PW/PL, or audio, while top models had auto A/C, Sunroof and etc. I guess it makes more sense for them to distinguish those models.
  • Options
    Good one, the Navigator as a "rock crawler". Ha ha ha ha. Rock breaker, maybe.

Prissy roof racks? Where are you supposed to put your deer? canoe? kayak? bikes? skis? spare water, gas, and tires? tent? Doesn't sound "prissy" to me!

If Ford could add a little lift, some bigger tires, and some suspension to the Escape, it just might make my garage.

Still looking. (at Wrangler, Trooper, Xterra, Escape, Montero (maybe), ...)
  • Options
    I didn't say _I_ have a CRV. I am looking for a vehicle, and am perusing various boards.

As for the deer, you cannot have them INSIDE a vehicle, it is illegal. I guess you can, as long as part of it sticks out, but that is not practical in the CRV since the rear window does not go down, and the door open wouldn't cut it.

see ya.
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Imagine trying to vacuum all the hair out afterward! My Lab's bad enough.
  • Options
    If it were me, I'd fold the seats on the passenger side of the vehicle into the bed formation and let Bambi stick his head out the back window. We wouldn't want to incovenience the poor bugger by making him ride the roofrack. =)
  • Options
    zigster38zigster38 Member Posts: 117
    Test drove the current one and it felt like a milk truck. But I know Honda will want to one up Toyota's Rav4...are they putting the Camry 4 banger engine in?
  • Options
    Kinda tough holding your head out a window when you are destined for a freezer.
  • Options
    corynatcorynat Member Posts: 52
    I can speak from experince as I owned a Jeep Wrangler and now own a CR-V. The Jeep was great fun - from just cruising around with the top down to popping it in 4-wheel drive and going anywhere you want. It was also in the shop 26 times in the 4 years and 57,000 miles that I owned it. 26 times!! This is not taking into account maintenance or normal wear and tear. After sinking $1500 into it at 55,000 miles for A/C replacement, I went shopping for Hondas. Have 15,000 on my Cr-V and not so much as a rattle. Call me or it what you want, but I never recall looking at other SUVs going by as I waited for a tow truck on several occasions and thinking, "What a bunch posers."
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Honda's CR-V for 2001 still best of sport-utes

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    tatu1tatu1 Member Posts: 50
    For a minute there I thought we actually had some reliable info. on the 2002...
  • Options
    That's what I get for cutting and pasting someone else's headline :-). (I edited it....)

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    Zigster - Are you asking if Honda is going to put a Toyota Camry engine in the CR-V? Regardless, there is no reliable information available to the public at this time. See the article at the CR-V IX for some of the bad info that we have already "de-bunked".
  • Options
    beatfarmerbeatfarmer Member Posts: 244
    That article could have used a proofreaded and a fact checker.
  • Options
    I just assumed he meant either Toyota putting Camry motor in RAV4 or Honda putting Accord motor in CRV
  • Options
    Boy you guys are tough this morning :-) Makes me glad I just link 'em and don't write 'em!

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    If the reviewer found it difficult to enter the rear doors of the CR-V, I wonder how he/she felt about the XTerra. :)
  • Options
    Slugline - I've never understood that comment either. That's the second reviewer that has remarked about the rear doors being narrow. Is he comparing them to other mini-utes, or full-sized SUVs?

It's funny how opinions differ. Another reviewer stated that the rear cupholders were one of the most effective and simple designs he'd seen. The Chicago Sun guy obviously didn't like them at all. Go figure.

Hey Beat - What's a "proofreaded"? :0)
  • Options
    gkoffgkoff Member Posts: 36
    If anyone is interested, I have a 99 5 speed CR-V EX. Great car except fot engine noise above 65MPH. Typical of 4 cylinders. There is a cheap way to deaden that noise (and it is real annoying during long trips). I found best deadening material is out of JC Whitney catalog (or jcwhitney.com.............just search for 'insulation'). Choose the 1 inch thick foam mat with aluminium skin surface and mylar internal layer. Its about $55 for 12 square feet. Get spray adhesive that is recommended. Cut to fit under hood and glue on. Use excess on sides and back of engine compartment. Don't cover any engine hardware (just cut and glue around it).

You won't believe the difference it makes to interior engine noise. Like driving a luxury car. You wonder why Honda does not spend a few bucks on noise deadening for this otherwise quality vehicle. It makes all the difference in the world making the vehicle seem like a 'luxury' compact SUV. Easily as quiet as a V-6 powered vehicle.

Hope Honda is listening............
  • Options
    waiterwaiter Member Posts: 3
    I've seen some limited discussion concerning the new 2002 CR-V, and must admit that I am quite curious myself. I sold Hondas in 1999 & 2000, and really fell in love with the CR-V. In fact, I tried very hard to take one home for my wife, but I lost the battle and she got an Xterra. Turns out that she hates the way the CR-V looks, and couldn't get over this to even drive one. If there are any of you out there considering this class of SUVs, DRIVE the CR-V! I have no desire to expound on any number of the pros or cons of the current platform, but I must say that the engine is completely adequate for probably 80% of owners, features are great, and (best of all) the ride is FANTASTIC due to the independent double-wishbone front and rear suspension. I am considering the 2001 SE model for the near future depending on what job I get (just graduated college in December ;)

Anyway, my wife and I just got back from Europe adopting twin girls and saw a Honda HR-V. I couldn't help but think that Honda might bring this model over here for the new bodystyle with upgraded powertrain for 2002. If you do a search on the internet for this, you'll turn up a lot of information, but here is a link for an Australian magazine review (with pics):

http://www.autospeed.com/A_0648/P_1/article.html

At least it's something to chew on!

• Options
    Yeah, but everyone knows that independent suspension is really limiting off road.

Oh, you say you don't want to go off road?

Why not just get the Accord wagon or Odyssey?
  • Options
    waiterwaiter Member Posts: 3
    The Accord wagon is not a bad idea, except for the fact that they quit making it in 1997, and I'm not in the market for a 4 year old car.

The Oddyssey is also a great idea, and is now a consideration since the wife and I have two kids, the only thing is the increased cost, larger size, it uses more gas. . . Again, for me the choice will come down to my needs that come with a new job.

I'm always humored by this Town Hall's readers when they are critical about what some individual wants or likes. You must remember that as a society, we all have different tastes and preferences, and therefore unlimited wants. It's what makes the world go around: spending $20 grand or more for ANYTHING is a highly individual decision, and the most important thing is that it fits YOUR needs and budgets (you might be able to see based on my comments why I no longer sell cars! =)

BTW, since I fit into that bracket who drives on pavement 95%+ of the time, I could care less about off-road handling. My point earlier about driving the CR-V and Honda's use of double wishbone suspension was meant to highlight the fact that it handles beautifully and also permits excellent road feel while driving. If any of you have seen articles about the suspension change in the 2001 Civic (going from double wishbone front and rear to mere struts up front to save space), there is a pronounced difference in ride handling due to switching from DW to struts. And while you're driving along in the CR-V, you may just be so overwhelmed by the ride that you forget (at least partially) that it's not the best looking vehicle on the road.
  • Options
    Any detailed intructions, and/or pictures? If there is no such project in hondasuv.com, you may want send them this info also. Thanks.
  • Options
    Waiter - I know what you mean about Town Haulers being critical. As a group, we tend to forget that there are shades of gray and different people have different definitions of "acceptable performance". For example, I was looking for something that can off-road better than a trafitional car, but I don't need to tackle the Rubicon. There's a big gray area in between a true off-roader and a slammed Civic. In contrast, Sasquatch won't accept anything less than a Hummer (which has front and rear independent suspension, BTW). So the best gauge of a vehicle's ability is never the design, performance numbers, or consumer ratings. The needs of the buyer are the only specs that matter.

Gkoff - Someone over at the CR-V IX was looking into sound insulation about a month or two back. They found a company that is selling a thin interior material for about $90 for 90 sq.ft. I think the member posts as "Nathan", but I'm not sure if it was him.
  • Options
    Varmit, I like Hummers as much as the next guy, but that is a little out there and wouldn't fill my needs anyhow. I don't really care what kind of suspension it has, as long as it works.

I am surprised at the number of people who want "SUV's" but don't plan to go off road. I thought that was part of the definition. Same goes for cargo capacity/hauling ability.

I off road (lightly, meaning trails and woods, not rocks) in my Civic, and could haul a lot with a 1976 Dodge Monaco station wagon. A good minivan with decent tires could probably do both, yet not tow worth a dang.

The Xterra fits nicely here, but could use a little better MPG. I would be willing to accept a 4 cylinder, as long as it had some quietness and torque and power. It seems as though most of the smaller SUV's are not really made for off road (more than Civic does; meaning 4-low, clearance, and tires) other than the Wrangler, Xterra, and Sportage.

If Honda made something with a real frame (towing ability) with Accord 2.2 4banger, Honda quality, 4 low, decent tires, a rear window that opens(or at least side rear windows that pop out for the dog), I'd buy it in a split second.

...still looking...
  • Options
    Its what I need sometimes.
  • Options
    How much you planning on towing?

I ask since you bring it up so much. If you really need to tow, than a 4 (even a torquey one) is out of the question. You'd be better served by a good sized 6. (think 4 Runner, Blazer, Cherokee)

Once again, if you need to tow, look beyond the mini-utes. I think you are going to have to compromise to find a vehicle for you.

Why be surprised that people buy SUVs and never take them off road? I'm surprised when I find someone that actually does go off road.

Please don't knock a vehicle or someone elses choice because it doesn't fit your needs. I understand your frustration, you want a Honda truck. But at this time, it doesn't exist.
  • Options
    Beat - I just thought the typo was ironic in that context. =)

SUVs? I have to side with Sasquatch on this one. If you're not execting to use the ground clearance of an SUV, then there are a reasonable number of AWD wagons and minivans on the market now. That wasn't always the case, but they are pretty common now. Even the mommy mobile styling is getting less offensive.

2WD SUVs don't make much sense either. I can only think of a few times where you might need the clearance of an SUV, but not also need the traction of a 4X4 system.

On the other hand, I don't think buyers should have to purchase a rough riding Jeep for their daily commuter car just because their favorite weekend fishing spot doesn't have a paved entrance. There's nothing wrong with finding the middle ground.

The demand for SUVs has certainly benefitted the breed. They are becoming more road-worthy, safer, more stable, more efficient, they pollute less, and are being designed with some of the most advanced technology. They are much better choices out there now then there were ten years ago.
  • Options
    reiner4reiner4 Member Posts: 24
    Where in the acronym SUV ( Sports Utility Vehicle ) does it imply / require that it has to be taken off-road, or Rubicon Trail worthy ? I think it's the sportiness and utility that are stressed, especially in the case of the CR-V.

I could have bought pretty much anything out on the market, but since I needed something sporty with emphasis on utility, as well as economical, and wasn't planning to do any serious off-road / off-trail driving I opted for the best vehicle to meet my needs - the CR-V. If one doesn't need all the bells-n-whistles of a 'hardcore' off-road / off-trail capable vehicle, then why waste the $'s to be a so-called poser. I don't think you'll find CR-V owners pretending to be something they're not !!

Squatch- after reading your many posts and reBUTTals - you need to learn to get along in the big world and escape your own lil' one.

JM2C
  • Options
    andy128828andy128828 Member Posts: 7
    You guys have gone from maybe grocery getters to absolute grocery getter's. Can you say independant sespension? 1 1/4 axle?AWD? Aluminum wheels? The CRV is a car. Not an SUV and absolutley not a truck. The CRV should be put in the Station Wagon section along with all fords, japanese SUVS and all the european ones too. That means Land Rover too. My definition of an SUV: A 4x4 wheel drive TRUCK with an enclosed bed, made for ROUGH terrian, with a stiff body and frame for more DURABILITY. The CRV only meets the enclosed bed part. There is nothing on the CRV's sespension that seperates it from and accord or civic. And I don't like Ford, even though it gets a whole lot closer to and SUV than a CRV
  • Options
    ...and gun racks, lots of gun racks...
  • Options
    The NHTSA classified the PT Cruiser as a truck, too. :)

Don't we all miss the days when cars were cars, trucks were trucks, and vans were what plumbers (not Moms) drove? Me neither.
  • Options
    tatu1tatu1 Member Posts: 50
    A big one, that flaps in the wind.....
  • Options
    Hey Andy, quick question for you.

What is more rigid (less likly to flex) -- body on frame or unit body construction?

What vehicles on the road today meet your definition of SUV?

I'm curious to read your answers.
  • Options
    As Homer Simpson once said, "I like my beer cold, my TV loud, and my homosexuals flaming."

Need to have one of them ____ on Ford stickers in the back window too.
  • Options
    But I hope Steve or Drew at least gets a laugh from it.
  • Options
    reiner4: "Where in the acronym SUV ( Sports Utility Vehicle ) does it imply / require that it has to be taken off-road..."

I think that would be in the "S", standing for "Sport".
  • Options
    At least a few of you still have _some_ blood in your veins.

I think the post that summed it up best was the one which said Honda needs to make a truck.

A ladder frame based REAL SUV with Honda quality would be the thing for me. I am getting a 1500 # boat delivered this weekend, and would like to tow that around New England. I would not want to do that with a unitbody framed vehicle.

I think the 2.2 litre Honda motor will do the job fine.

I look at the Toyota T100 (Tundra?) pickup. If I were a contractor, I want something reliable. Toyota (Honda, Nissan...) mean reliable. What a contractor needs is a 4X8 bed. I am surprised that truck hasn't done FAR better than it is doing.

Honda, are you listening?
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    What's in a name? The Toyota 4Runner is a classic SUV, but in overseas markets it is sold as the Hilux SW4, for STATION WAGON 4WD!

Sorry to break the news, but all two box designs are station wagons. It's a body style:
    _________
    ___/
    /__O_______O__|

It's a wagon folks!

SUV is just a (genius) marketing idea by manufacturers to make people think they are tough and cool. So you pay more money for a less sophisticated vehicle with pushrods and live axles that guzzles gas and does not meet car safety standards.

I don't care what people call my Forester. Fact is, it gets the job done for me, even at the beach or at the local orchard. You should have seen the mouth-agape dumb looks on the faces of the truck drivers we waved to as we drove by.

Besides, I have a 4 wheel independent suspension like a Humvee, a unibody like a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and boxer engine like, well, like the upcoming Porsche Cayenne!

-juice

PS 25.1mpg average, too.
  • Options
    Sorry to have upset you. I am looking for an SUV to fit my purposes. If asking tough questions of owners and how they use their cartrucks, how they like them, and if they can fulfill my needs upsets you, too bad. This is an open forum, and I like Honda's and wanted/still want to see if the CRV fits my needs better than another make/model.

Thanks for the insight into the "thenthitive thide" of SUV's. Perhaps you are right in my need to look elsewhere. I will make that decision for myself. I will hold off on asking any more tough questions here.

Again, my thanks and apologies.
  • Options
    I don't mind the tought questions. I give tough answers. I was the one who said you were looking for a Honda truck. If you want the quality of a Honda in a "real" truck, go for Toyota.
    You wonder why the Tacoma isn't more popular. Look at what Toy offers compared to the big 3. Its at the small side of the big truck spectrum. A contractor pulling a 10000lbs trailer wants a truck that can do taht day in and day out. Which brings me to another point. 1500lbs. is a tall order for any 4cyl to fill. Sure it could do it, but I would call that pushing it. Considered the average small ute weighs @3000lbs. Add in three of your big buddies (these are real men 250lbs 6'2") and 500lbs of gear. Now pull your boat. Get the picture.

Funny thing is, in the US you have a hard time finding a 4cyl diesel in anything other than a VW. One of these would be a great match for a small ute (Good low end torque, thrifty).

I'll wisper this in the wind for you (4 Runner)

V6, room for gear, "Real Truck Frame", 4lo, room for buddies.

Hey Juice, good to see you.
  • Options
    Beatfarmer - I disagree. Most of the mini-utes are rated for 1500 lbs. You just can't expect them to haul that weight AND drive like a sports car at the same time. I do agree that loading them up with gear and burly men is typically enough without the trailer. They are called "mini" for a reason.

Regarding the Tundra: It's closer in size to the Dakota than the Ram. But it does have a nice engine.

Tough questions? Has Squatch asked a question? I thought most of his posts were statements.

Squatch - That Accord 2.2 you've posting about doesn't exist. I think you are looking for the 2.3L.
  • Options
    shaq2kobeshaq2kobe Member Posts: 42
    go buy an unimog.hehehe. now that's a real off-roader.
  • Options
    I will suggest my boss to drive his Corvette off-road, since they call it "Sport" coupe.
  • Options
    your disagreement seems to agree with what I was saying.

I always considered the CR-V a wagon (not station).

Shaq, the unimog is a hybrid too, since you can also use them as tractors, cherry pickers, fire fighting, troop carrier, etc

Did I say Tacoma, I meant Tundra.
  • Options
    The body style listed for any 4dr SUV is "wagon".

Beat - Sorry, I need to clarify. I agree that you should not tow something over 1,500 lbs AND haul your five largest friends, but towing alone shouldn't be a problem. Juice's Forester is actually one of the more capable ones. Here in the states it's rated for 2,000 lbs (braked trailer), but in other parts of the world I believe it gets approval for up to 3,000lbs.