Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M TSB #070100

dan300dan300 Member Posts: 2
edited May 2014 in Chrysler
Hi, I have the same symptom on my 2000 300M. I had Chrysler perform the TSB for it (#070100) but the noise is still there. Any suggestions what else this could be? I've been to two mechs now and neither one can cure the problem.

TSB070100 - Cold-engine growl. The engines in some 1998-2000 Concorde, Intrepid, LHS and 300M models may emit an off-idle speed growling sound, which comes from the drive belts following a cold-engine start, while the transmission is in Drive or Reverse. The noise usually is heard when the engine revs between 1000 and 1300 rpm. The cure involves raising the tension on the generator/power steering drive belt.

Comments

• kykaminskikykaminski Member Posts: 1
    Hi Dan,
    I have a 2000 Chrysler LHS with the same deal. I took it in to have the tensioner tightened according to the bulletin, and it seemed that at first the noise went away. Well, it's back now and I'm thinking that the tensioner is just going bad. Have you had any luck fixing it since your last post?
  • dan300dan300 Member Posts: 2
    In your case I would imagine that the belt has just stretched to its original position again. You could try visiting the tensioner issue. On mine, I have now realized that when the climate control is on the noise appears and when I turn it off, it disappears. This leads me to believe that the A/C pulley and bearing needs replacing. Chrysler will do this for $117 parts and labor. I'll get it done in the next couple of weeks and then report back with my findings.
    Dan
  • herbied2herbied2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a problem which has surfaced on my 1999 Chrysler 300M after about 125K miles. With no warning, the cruise control will disengage. On other occasions it will not activate when I hit the set button, or in some circumstances will be working fine, but when I must disengage because of traffic and attempt to resume, it will not work.

The mechanics at my dealership are guessing, throwing parts and labor at it, when it is clear that they really do not know what the problem is. So far I have had a new servo installed and a new wheel speed sensor. While the parts and labor have totaled over $300, the problem has not been fixed.

Has anyone out there had a similar problem and had it successfully repaired? If so, what turned out to be the real problem?

Thanks
  • martypyeattmartypyeatt Member Posts: 2
    I also have a 1999 Chrysler 300M the cruise control will not engage after I hit the cruise on tab then set. Some times the cruise light will just go out and the only way to reset it so the light will come back on is to pull over shut the car off, then after restarting the car I can some times get the cruise to work. I also have the disengage because of traffic and attempt to resume, it will not work, If you here of anything to fix your problem Please let me know.
  • keikatkeikat Member Posts: 1
    we have had themostate radiat replaced still runs hot any suggestions
  • martypyeattmartypyeatt Member Posts: 2
    I replaced the brake switch at the brake pedal and that fixed the cruise control problem. It cost $20.00 at a Chrysler Dealer that was still in business.
  • iherbivoreiherbivore Member Posts: 3
    I can confirm this. Condition existed on my vehicle. I inspected. Found that the brake switch is comprised of three separate switches. One of the switches is normally closed when the brake pedal is released. An ohmmeter on this switch showed a resistance of 1-2 ohms when closed. Removing the large cover over the electrical connectors gave access to the actual contacts for the switches, at which point I found a considerable amount of material transfer between the two posts of the troubled switch. Gently filing the posts restored a 0 ohm connection when switch is closed, and cruise control now works again. I am uncertain how long this repair will last, but the simplicity of the repair makes it worth an attempt to save $20.

edit: If you try this repair there is one thing to note: When putting the switch back together, the plunger must be held about half way in. Take a look at it, you'll see why.
This discussion has been closed.