Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

All-New 2009 Toyota Matrix

Comments

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    It's another way they took a little something away for the '09: ALL trims used to have standard fold-flat passenger seats. The real shame is the rear glass. I just read the new Pilot will have separately opening rear glass as the Matrix used to. The new Highlander does too. Clearly it is something they think people like. Yet they removed it from Matrix.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• thinkingofbuythinkingofbuy Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone tried to scoot the front passenger seat up all the way, take the headrest off and then recline the seatback to meet the folded down rear seats? I know this is possible in the Prius, making it sleepable.
  • oh_sh_toh_sh_t Member Posts: 1
    If you think 24k is alot, then you have bigger problems. Not to be rude. First, Toyota & Honda are like the pro-team, playing against the high school teams. No other manufacture comes close (ASE Master tech. since 1990) ask any good mechanic, and they tell you the same! Before you make such a bold statement, you really should drive (One of the quickest Toyotas - NOT LEXUS) vehicles I drove, and now own (Thats the S model by the way) Toyota is not known for speed, like Honda. Nissan, or :lemon: Mazda's. After driving, show me a better vehicle for 24k. (With a staight face) For 24k you get the Nav. system. Sun roof 115v power outlet. Audio/MP3 port. 17" wheels. Tip-tronix type automatic/manual 5 speed. It moves well. Handles great, and stops on a dime. It's not the greatest car in the world, but it's well worth 24k!! PS Its more of an American car, then the so called American cars, and thats a FACT. ;)
  • giantkillergiantkiller Member Posts: 273
    Mazdaspeed 3. Enough said.
    I have decided I really DO like about the '09 is that orangey/bronze color it is available in. I am playing with the idea of getting a new AWD, and it is between the Matrix and the Impreza, but Subaru has no really good colors like the Matrix does. Of course, Matrix has no available manual for the AWD models like Impreza does, so an impasse has been reached....

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• matrixgirl09matrixgirl09 Member Posts: 28
    Anybody find an auto dimming rearview mirror w/compass included for the 2009 matrix? I have seen an article or two stating that the cars had it but the toyota dealership said they don't have it. I guess it was an option on the 2008 model, would it be the same one? also anyone get a trunk bike rack?
  • swngswng Member Posts: 15
    Hi matrixgirl09, I do have the auto dimming rear view mirror with compass on my 09 AWD Matrix with the Sports Package. I am in BC, Canada and sorry that I don't know if the same is available elsewhere.
    No it's not available for the US ones, at least not yet. An aftermarket one was around 200.00 and I am not going to put it in if it's not guaranteed to work.

For the 200.00 I could get a GPS (like a tom tom ) instead of the compass. I haven't decided yet.

The mirror is only a problem when its real dark out and there is a truck behind me.. since we have more daylight now during my commute it isn't a problem. I don't drive a lot at night right now.
  • swngswng Member Posts: 15
    Hope you will get what you want in due course!
  • musicmanmumusicmanmu Member Posts: 16
    Hey everyone,

Finally going to trade in my gas hog SUV for a smaller car in the next month or two.

I've been looking at the 2009 Matrix/Vibe, but I'd prefer to have the 2.4L engine. I commute about 120 miles round trip for my job M-F (all interstate), and I'm hoping to get about 30 MPGs on the highway.

What have your experiences been?
    Thanks!
  • bbrownpersonalbbrownpersonal Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have this problem. More higher pitch and gets louder 65 -70ish to 80. Suspected wind baffle around antenna. Or, wind seepage under the cross rack covers in the black gutter. Dealer acknowledges hearing but hasn't a clue and not too interested to find source. Traded 04 Matrix - nothing close to this problem. They did superficial check of door hang and gaskets. Seem to be dismissive since not acknowledgiing as something Toyota has found in others and issued a TSB on. If you have issue or thought about how to get attention to problem, pls advise. Next message not going to be as polite. :mad:
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    MSN is running aa story right now that compares cost/mpg for a number of cars in the Matrix's class (Fit, Versa, Xd etc.) The Matix is not even listed - I guess because of the FE hit the 2.4 is. The 1.8 engined Base version as well as earlier models would fare quite well in this type of comparison - begging the question why would Toyota make the larger engine standard on the 2 higher trim levels when it is mpgs that sell these days????
  • awdmatrix09awdmatrix09 Member Posts: 1
    Hey All,

I picked up the AWD 2.4l Matrix 09 a few months ago. I drive from Delaware to NY every other weekend. My gas mileage was roughly 24-25 mpg. I also have a heavy foot :) .

I just change my oil from 5w-20 to 0w-20 synthetic oil. The owners manual said it gives you better gas mileage.

It was right, my gas mileage when up to around 28mpg! Without changing my driving habits.

On my next fill I’m going to try to watch my acceleration and try driving no faster than 65mph and see how it does.
  • rich505rich505 Member Posts: 33
    Not everyone cares about the best fuel economy! Some also care about the trade off of fuel economy versus acceleration. Also the 2 higher trim levels are being sold performance oriented.

I agree with you here - because there is certainly a trade of as you note. My comment was more directed towards the mfgr. that has chosen to only make the smaller more economical 1.8 available in the base model - the 1.8L Matrix (and Vibe) have been available for years at all trim levels- now we don't have a choice? Even with the bigger 4 banger the Matrix is hardly going to meet any definition of a 'performance' car.
  • dchevdchev Member Posts: 38
    Hello Matrixgirl09,

I just bought and installed Toyota Auto-Dimming Mirror. I send you a link to a Toyota Dealer that sells 2009 Toyota Matrix accessories ( I do not work for them, but prices are much lower).

http://www.primepartssuperstore.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=74_179_315

Good Luck!
    Was it hard to do? I am not technical with cars, I can swap parts out but if it involves any kind of rewiring that is too much for me to do but i can find someone to help me.

Thank you very much. That is a much more doable price.. :shades:
  • dchevdchev Member Posts: 38
    I did not do it. A Toyota Dealership installed it. They charge me one hour labor, which is $70.
    The mirror came with a small wire. Electrical parts are easy to demage, so I prefered Toyota mechanic to install it.
    It does not have a compass on it....like previous generation Matrix/Corolla; however, it still helps me while driving at night. :D
  • alexisdalexisd Member Posts: 2
    The Passenger Air Bag Indicator light has not been lighting up unless someone is sitting in the seat or if I put something with the weight of a small child in that seat. I'm worried that since the light is not showing that the air bag is off when no one, or something too light to register is in the seat, that it may go off.

I've had the car since Feb and the light has always been on showing OFF, unless someone was in the seat then it would switch to ON. This just stopped working a few days ago.

Is this something I should have the dealer look at or is it no big deal?

Is anyone else having this issue?
    You mean if someone sits in the passenger seat it will not turn on? I think its programmed to not light up unless someone sits in the passenger seat.

But if its not working, definitely have the dealer look at it. It's a safety issue they have to fix it. So far I have not had the problem, but I usually don't have passengers in it, but I check it once in a while.
  • mantechmantech Member Posts: 28
    Has anyone who noticed a road noise in this 09 Matrix, I got a touring edition, seems noisier than 08 Matrix. Also on wet road, it's well pronounced on both front
    doors. I wonder if there is a TSB issue for sound insulation.
  • sinistermindsinistermind Member Posts: 12
    I have read about noise issues on the new Matrix. One spot is the new roof antena, which supposedly Toyota is addressing. I checked Matrix forums and there is not TSB for any noise coming from doors. This issue has me a bit concerned since I'm looking to buy one soon.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    I've test-driven Base, S and XRS models. There is a big difference in road noise. The base had the standard 55 series tires (quietest), and the S and XRS both had 45 series (pretty noisy). The 45's are optional on the S, and standard on the XRS. You may be able to replace only the tires with something less performance oriented and more quiet ride oriented - if you can find such an animal. But that's the trade-off. Low profile gives better cornering performance, and more noise.
  • diva2008diva2008 Member Posts: 10
    I have the 09 Matrix S AWD. I purchased every option except GPS because I was given an after-market Garmin Nuvi 720 as a gift. I noticed that when I hook up the GPS I cannot find a radio station that will allow th GPS to speak the directions. At first I thought I was doing something wrong; but I e-mailed Toyota and they told me that the 09 Matrix will NOT accomodate after-market GPS systems that talk. Am I pissed? Absolutely! Any recommendations?

Can anyone advise if there is a way to have the doors automatically lock once you have exited the vehicle without pressing the lock button?

I was reading several of the discussions and I noticed that someone recommended that at the next oil & filter change try 0w20 for better gas mileage - anyone else agree?

One last comment - I noticed that if I put the rear windows down and I am driving there is this godforesaken noise - any thoughts?
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    I don't understand your first question....The garmin (just plug it into the cigarette lighter and it has its "own" speakers. It doesn't come thru the radio!!!!

Question #2.... I cannot help.
    " " #3....Usuallt the thinner oil gives slightly better mileage...but...I suggest you use the right weight oil that the "manual' recommends!!!!
    #4....that is a common occurence forom "wind turbulence" and will occur in "ALL' vehicles. The incoming wing has no palce to exit and buffets itself against the incoming wind. It occurs in ALL vehicles.
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    I agree I have a friend with a Tom Tom and it doesn't go through the radio either.
    I know several folks with aftermarket GPS systems, and none of them play thru the car's audio system. Instead, their internal speakers let the "babe in the box" direct you to your destination.

As far as the window-induced noise - I get it too. Turns out the car is tight as a drum, and it resonates with the some combinations of one or multiple windows down a little ways. Note that you don't get the noise when all 4 are down all the way. So don't sit and suffer - when you get that noise, that means that outside air isn't really going thru the car anyway - just buffeting around at the window. Sometimes I like to forego the A/C, and ride with window down - sometimes even at freeway speeds.

Try opening the windows more, or more of them. My solution is to open the Driver's window all the way, and the other three open about 2 inches. I get air thru, and little noise (only wind noise, no buffeting). Another alternative is to leave the windows up, and crank the A/C blower up a bit, without actually turning on the A/C. This works best on the freeway, as it's quieter (and more fuel efficient) than open windows. I've experimented a bit, and find that the best setting for the Duct Control for this, is to put it in "half-dash vent / half-floor" setting.

Please don't get mad at Toyota about the GPS - after all, they didn't tell you that would intertie with the Garmin. Why blame them 'cause it doesn't work? Does Garmin say it should work with the Toyota?

Hope you enjoy the other fine qualities of the car, especially the nice gas mileage. Fun to drive, no?
    Thank you for responding to my questions. I will stay with the proprer weight for the oil. I will also try the GPS again.
    Thank you for the information provided. Please do not get it wrong I LOVE MY CAR!!! I waited for the remodel to come out. I am a native New Yorker who hates public transportation and I was without a car for nine months awaiting the arrival of the 09 Matrix. I purchased my car in Massachusetts because the tri-state region (NY, NJ, CT) did not offer the options I wanted. This is how much I wanted the Matrix. I just need to get it on the road to see how well it does mileage wise on the highway. Stop and start traffic in New York City is giving me about 20mpg. I was using BP gas, now I am trying Exxon/Mobil. I did hear however that Sunoco and Gulf may be better - any thoughts?
    Gas branding remains one of the greatest marketing scams ever foisted on the American people - there is no real difference between gas brands despite what they might want you to believe.
    Glad to see that some folks can use whatever gas they can find locally and be happy with it. With respect, my experience has been very different. Here in So Cal, Arco sells the lowest-price name-brand local brew. I've tried it with several cars, and have always gone back to Chevron, Shell, or even Exxon/Mobil. Remember, what you are pumping into your tank is a mixture of several things - gasoline, along with various blends of additives that change thru the year in many states. Also, my experience is that Chevron's Techron is the real deal.

I do agree that switching brands to get higher mileage is probably not going to get you much, if anything. Better to read up on the techniques that will help you drive your car for better mileage. And do not waste money buying Premium. Neither the 18L or 2.4L in the Matrix will be able to make better mileage with higher octane fuel. It may even lower the mileage.

You've made a great selection. Drive it easy for he first 500 miles or so. Read link title. Don't panic when your mileage drops in a month or so when the gas gets "enhanced" with ethanol. We all suffer when that happens. Oh - and enjoy the ride.
    so I'm guessing you are biting into all the BS about these 'additives' really making any significant difference?? Gas as it is pumped into all branded and unbranded delivery trucks (and before actual delivery to any station) is identical in all respects.If you think something like Techron makes a difference it probably does - to you - that's why they spend all the money promoting it.
    Whether that 'Techron' actually is anything of value is another discussion entirely.My contention is that while it might possibly keep a fuel injector cleaner a bit longer it certainly will have no effect on how economically (or powerfully) your engine runs. It's only Chevron (or whoever) that would like you to think it does.
    As far as octane increasing FE you are likely spot on - those of us saddled with E10 ethanol (EPA regs) (instead of MTBE) will definitely suffer from lower FE despite generally higher octane ratings on all grades of 'gas'.
    I'm not biting into anything. I've had repeated experiences that you haven't had. Tried Arco gas, car ran bad. Went back to Shell, and it ran fine. 3 different cars, 2 different Arco stations, years apart, same story (had to try - it's 10-15 cents less a gallon). So I don't use it any more. Conclusion - all gas is not the same. Same story from many of my friends on Arco, too. Know anyone in California? Call 'em and ask 'em.

So, do you have any experience with Arco? Or just belief in your theory that "all gas is the same"?
    not really a theory at all - the fact is that ALL gas comes from the same storage tanks and/or pipelines regardless of who's brandname happens to be on the truck - any thing that might make anything actually different is then only in some additive (you mentioned the nebulous 'Techron') that may or may not be added to the gas after it is pumped into the truck. All gas IS the same simply because it all comes from the same place.
    Whether or not you think it runs differently in your particular experience is kinda inconsequential - the fact remains that the Gas itself is the same, it HAS to be. I do further suggest that advertising can be a powerful thing - whether or not some minor (and likely non-existent and inconsequential) additive has any real effect just might be a self fulfilling prophecy, it (the additives) are only something that Chevron (in this case) is hoping will make you think it is different thereby keeping you coming back for more.
    Captain 2 - I've stated some facts, based on my personal experience, and have arrived at a conclusion. You have given us no facts, only a conclusion, which you call a fact. Please tell us how you know about all the country's oil refineries, pipelines, and storage tanks. Please tell us your observations and facts that lead you to this conclusion. I agree that there are lots of marketing types that make WAYYY more money than I do that are expert at making the sizzle seem more important than the quality of the steak. So let's talk about the steak. You in the oil biz?

How did Chevron obtain a patent for Techron if it's "nebulous" (your term)?

Why have many oil companies not been able to achieve Top Tier link title status for their gasoline, but a few top companies have? Do you realize that the EPA sets levels of additives in our gasoline, and that these levels change thru the year? link title And that they have changed many times, and will change again and again?

Called anyone who has ever used Arco gas?

And please tell me why we are writing about something other than the Toyota Matrix here? I'm done.
    yep , just like you I have determined that based on my personal experience that there is No difference between gas brands. And this only based on about 40 years and probably ovber a million miles. The Fact, I use is indeed one - gas refining and production is highly regulated and distributed from common sources pretty much all over the planet. There can not be any difference simply because it all comes form the same place.
    Can't argue anything about Arco, in particular, since we don't have those stations down here in Texas, although it is not logical that it could be any better or worse simply because initially it comes from the same place as that Chevron gas you seem to like so much. I, for one, would not hesitate to buy Arco or any other 'brand' of gas if the price is right.
    I get it - you know, because you've never had any trouble, so no one else does, or every will, anywhere. It's logic, I suppose. Of a kind.

Anything at all to write about the Toyota Matrix? I like it. You? What do you drive? And what brand(s) of gas do you buy?
    I'm curious, anyone out there have the AWD? And if so, did you test drive it back to back with either of the Subaru wagons, the Outback or Impreza? I would love to know your impressions of differences between the two if so.

I know this doesn't answer your question about FWD vs AWD on the Matrix. But I have driven the FWD Matrix (both engines) and the AWD Outback. I enjoyed the Matrix for its compactness and good driving position. The Subie burns more gas, and has a bigger interior. But if you want AWD to drive fire roads or in snow, the more than 2.5 inch greater ground clearance on the Subie makes it the winner for that duty.
    because you've never had any trouble, so no one else does, or every will, anywhere. It's logic, I suppose. Of a kind.

never said that - but you did - see your post #138. Guess because you have had some problems with a particular brand or two - guess then it follows that everyone does. It's logic, I suppose. ;) I only talk about how the gas we use is manufactured and distributed and the commonality of source(s) - that is where my 'logic is'.

As far as my 09 Matrix 1.8 Base model, it continues to hum along quite nicely at 30 mpg overall - my wife is the one that happens to drive it, she is quite happy with it as well. It is ultimately one heckuva practical vehicle! For my part, I feel Toyota has made a mistake in how it has chosen to equip the higher trim lines with the larger engine only - I think the car does fine with the smaller engine and think that 5 mpg or so is a big sacrifice even though gas prices have eased somewhat. I didn't like the unavailability of some options that I would have been willing to pay for otherwise simply because I wanted the extra FE. :cry:
    For my part, I feel Toyota has made a mistake in how it has chosen to equip the higher trim lines with the larger engine only - I think the car does fine with the smaller engine and think that 5 mpg or so is a big sacrifice

I agree with you there - my 2007, of course, has the 1.8 and with a stick shift I manage 35 mpg as a running average. It is docile around town and plenty fast enough if I wind the engine out when I need the power.

I think Toyota made this choice with the engines for the '09s because they are trying to push the Matrix as the smallest of the crossovers in the Toyota line, now that RAV4 has gotten so big. As such, it needs to have more power available for bigger loads and light-duty towing. Of course, they are also guilty of old-school thinking: the buyers with more money deserve a bigger more powerful engine, fuel consumption be damned. "Fuel consumption be damned" may leave our lexicon permanently very soon now....

I think Toyota made this choice with the engines for the '09s because they are trying to push the Matrix as the smallest of the crossovers
    maybe - but at the same time it seems Toyota wants to include the Matrixs sold in their Corolla numbers, and not necessarily as a separate vehicle. Is not the Matrix also a Corolla Wagon? 35 mpg overall a damn good number - I think my wife must have a bit of a lead foot!
  • mantechmantech Member Posts: 28
    No complain about the power performance of this new 1.8L, I own a touring package 5sp (Canada only) Torque now are more noticeable between 2800rpm to
    3500rpm, compare to 1ZZFE (1.8L). I used to own older Matrix & I couldn't feel the torque in that range. I think because of the dual VVT exhaust and intake. I love this
    2ZRFE engine. It's a good design for perfromance and fuel economy. Right now I'm averaging 32mpg mixed driving, odo is 9500km :)
    since you Canadians get to build most of the Vibes/Matrixes/Corollas it would seem that you are getting some model choices not available down here in the States - heck even the 'luxury' Corolla XLE is sold with the new 1.8. The new CVVTi that Toyota is using is a genuinely good thing IMO, developed first in the 2GR V6 in 2005, it has allowed that engine to lead its class in terms of power and FE for a number of years now. Nippononly might be right on with a reason for the bigger engine but the Matrix as a CUV might be a hard sell? And yep, by altering intake (and exhaust) valve timings at least some of the 'peaky' nature of these smaller engines can be minimized.
  • moontommoontom Member Posts: 28
    went to dealer today, hoping that I could get the 1.8L engine w/ Stability, sunroof, et al. NO DICE.

this is reeediculous!

I don't need AWD. don't want the 2.4. can't believe that Toyota has the car configured this way, given the fossil fuel situation. I've owned 6 toyos over the years, loved the philosophy and everything but I can't fathom this thinking. why force people who want safety options into the bigger power plant?

argh....
    The dealers don't want to put in custom orders. Don't know why.

I didn't want the sunroof because I figured that it would eventually leak.

I figured the car would be alright without stability. The odds of this car rolling over are very slim, compareds to the SUV I was driving.

But try another dealership. They are pretty desperate to sell any cars right now so you may get the upper hand.
    Dealers are especially averse to putting in an order on a Matrix right now, as they are all sitting on WAY too many that are already in inventory.

And old Toyotas with moonroofs usually don't leak - they do a pretty good job of those moonroofs, they are pretty durable.

• texasgirl2texasgirl2 Member Posts: 13
    I went into one of my local dealerships and was able to custom order my 2007 XR. They did a production change and I got exactly what I wanted. I had to wait about a month for it to come in. Unfortunately, about 2 months ago, that car was totaled by someone running a red light. I will tell you, that's a damn safe car! I was able to walk away relatively unhurt. So, I went back to the same dealership and was able to order my 2009 S with the exact options I wanted. At first my sales person was not too interested in ordering it for me, but I wouldn't budge on the idea. He told me it could take 3-4 months for the car to come in because they would have to do a production change. BUT it really only took about a month and a week to come in. It may not get the 33 MPG that my XR did, BUT I LOVE my car!
    Some of the changes the made to the 09s are REALLY great. The sunroof now opens with just one touch of the button, rather than having to hold it until it's all the way open. The AUX jack and Bluetooth are my favorite options, I think.
    Do you miss the fact that the glass in the rear hatch doesn't open separately any more? I'm pretty sure I would, as I use that all the time.

• circuitsmithcircuitsmith Member Posts: 117
    I agree with ecotrklvr. No, gas is not all the same. Way back when I worked for the Mechanical Engineering Dept. of a large university. They had automotive labs with engines on dynos etc. One test that was often done was to measure the heat content of fuels with a bomb calorimeter. That is, how many calories of heat a given mass of fuel produced when burned. It id possible for a gasoline to meet the octane requirement and contain the required additives, yet create more or less energy when burned. Lower heat content is the main reason why ethanol reduces FE.

Independent gas stations buy their gas from several suppliers, whoever is cheapest. I shop for the cheapest gas and it often comes from independent stations. I occasionally get a tank of gas where the car runs fine but gets substantially lower mileage, under the same driving conditions, driving the same route, commuting to work, one week to the next. It happens less often now than it did 20 years ago. There used to be particular stations I would avoid.
This discussion has been closed.