Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord (2008-2012) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mcpdjohnmcpdjohn Member Posts: 44
    My 08 Accord has over 2,000 miles on it now, and its still perfect. I can hear the VCM working, but the transitions are seamless. The smoothness and power of the V6 is amazing. I'm really glad I switched from Toyota to Honda. I believe the quality is better.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Buttdonkey,

Please turn your caps off, it's hard for all to read.

You say this is your second Accord, and the first had electrical problems. Was the first one you had a dealer buy back, and what kind of electrical problems did you have?
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    You mentioned radio reception . . .. The FM radio reception in my 08 EX-L is noticeably worse than in my other cars. Is this what you are experiencing? If so, please keep us posted on what the dealership says. Thanks! :)
  • stuartflstuartfl Member Posts: 14
    Just came back from the dealer. They adjusted the hood latch and now the mask fits. Even thought I have 4900 miles, the oil did not need to be changed so they didn't do it. the rattle was a loose hinge on the moonroof and the poor radio reception is due to the tint I had put on the back window. I am experencing poor AM reception, the FM is fine even with the tint.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Gee, given the number of issues you seem to have, I'm not too impressed! All of those seem like poorer performance than your previous car, or mine.
    Hmmmm, I have limo tint on the back window of my Lexus, and my AM is fine. It's mostly what I listen to, and it's perfect. Not saying you're not correct, but clearly, there are better receivers, I guess, that can get through tint.
  • rnickeymousernickeymouse Member Posts: 32
    Gee, given the number of issues you seem to have, I'm not too impressed! All of those seem like poorer performance than your previous car, or mine.

From what I've read some of these are characteristics of all new cars. Like high idle at start. The Car does have more power and many more features compared to my 96, and it was only about 12% more than a new LX sold for 10 years ago.When I bought my slightly used 96, a new 97 LX was near $18,000. My much better equiped LX-P was $20,500.
    I do have complaints, AC fan noise is most annoying. It seems to come on constantly around town. The car is a bit noisy, suspension too firm ,the handling is excellent though so there is a trade off, but I see why the old folks buy the Camry.
    I still expect this car to outlast anything else out there, that was my number one reason for buying a Honda. I drive about 24,000 miles a year I need a car that can handle my long commute.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    My window sticker for my 1996 LX Accord with an automatic is somewhere near $19,200 (I'll have to look it up).
  • rnickeymousernickeymouse Member Posts: 32
    My window sticker for my 1996 LX Accord with an automatic is somewhere near $19,200 (I'll have to look it up).

In 97, that was the best deal I could get at the time not the MSRP.
    Comparing deals is hard since people in different areas can't always ger the same one.

That's why I go by msrp for comparison purposes with the old cars.
  • bbrowncodsbbrowncods Member Posts: 3
    Now have 1500 miles with no major problems. I have noticed some minor quality issues.
    1. The sound deadening material on the hood was loose in a couple of places. I just pushed in the plastic buttons.
    2. I also found a nut on the engine intake. It was just laying there in a recess. I don't know where it came from.
    3. I had to add 6 oz. of oil to bring up to full. It was full when I brought it home and there are no leaks. Hopefully it is break in usage.
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    Do you notice a clunk in the suspension when driving at slow speeds?

I.e. speed bumps in a parking lot.

I noticed this in my '08 EXL-4cyl since the first week of ownership. Some people are reporting this problem in another forum. They had broken struts or strut towers.
    There are about a million reasons for a clunk in a car -- struts being one of the least likely in a new vehicle :D Any loose part or loose cargo can make that noise. I was being driven nuts by a "clunk" every time I hit a large bump -- turned out to be the small flashlight I placed in my glove-compartment. Clunking noises are very hard to diagnose in a car. Good luck!

bbrowncods -- I noticed your post about oil consumption in your new Accord. I have no idea if this CAN happen in a new car without being a big concern. But, I do know that in all the new cars I've owned, I have NEVER had this problem. I'm generally not too uptight about new car issues -- but oil consumption would be one thing I would be VERY concerned about. . . . in my limited experience, its not normal. If its leaking onto the ground, it might be something that could be easily tightened with no further problems. If its getting into the system and going out the tail pipe, I'd be upset and I'd do everything possible to make sure you don't have a new car that burns oil :cry: Just my $.02!
    I was wondering if anyone who has installed the full-cover nose mask on their 08 Accord can share their experience with me. It is hard to put on? Did the material have to be heated a bit before it would stretch over the body? How about the snaps that have to be installed -- where those relatively easy? Does it fit tightly once installed? Thanks!!
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    One guy mentioned that his hood would not close with both parts of the mask on (not enough clearance between hood and fender). He said the dealership adjusted the gap, and all was well, so far. The hood part of my 03 Accord's nose mask would make a sort of wave in the middle after driving at higher speeds, so that is one thing you may want to check out on the new ones.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    bbrowncods,

You didn't indicate when you determined that your oil was 6 ounces low. Could it be that you removed the dipstick too soon after shutting off your engine, thus not allowing all of the oil to drain down into your oilpan? Could it be that you may not have inserted the dipstick all of the way into the block, thus assuring that the indicated level might have been incorrect?
  • stuartflstuartfl Member Posts: 14
    the mask fits tight. I didn't have to heat it or anything, just a coat of good wax before I installed it. It is a little hard to get the clips to sit right under the hood and the fender snap needs a right angle screw driver to mount it properly. The hood fit too tight in the front at first because the hood would not close. Honda adjusted the hood and it fits and looks good now. Just remember, don't leave it on all the time. I take mine off on the weekends when I am not on I95 and clean it before I put it back on. If you just leave it, your paint can get damaged from junk accumulating under the mask and it could cloud the paint if it gets wet and you don't take it off.

Good Luck
  • donegaldonegal Member Posts: 49
    Last Saturday I picked up my White Diamond 4Dr. EXLV6 Sedan. I am noticing a very annoying vibration sensation starting around 60 mph and increasing in intensity as I continue to increase my speed. I haven't taken it over 72 mph. The vibration is not felt in the steering wheel but seems to be coming from the front of the car. I am also noticing a "light thumbing noise" that seems to accompany the vibration. Drove approximately 800 miles over the holidays and the vibration is consistent to speed and not to any other factors such as temperature or road conditions. I do have an appointment with service for next Monday. I am just curious if anyone else with the V6 is encountering this type of vibration.
    Have you checked to see what your tire pressures are?
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    Vibration and a slight thumping noise, I would suspect a damaged tire.

Mrbill
    That's what it sounds like - almost as if a belt within a tire has snapped or something.
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    If it is a tire, a front-rear rotation and a good road test to see if the vibration changes should show the problem.

I had a damaged tire on my old 88 Accord. It vibrated and shook the steering wheel when braking. Rotating the bad tire to the back corrected the problem. The bad tire on the back caused no noticeable vibration, but I still replaced it because I was concerned that the tire may fail. The damage could be seen when I spun the tire on the back of the car.

Mrbill
    Excellent! Thanks for the info. Santa was good to me and brought me one that I will be installing when I drive up I-70 out of Denver to go skiing on the weekends! :D
    Similarly to the damaged tire, also could be a misplaced/missing wheel weight.
    I checked the tire pressure and my tire gauge is showing psi of 38 to 39. The recommended pressure as shown on the inside door pillar is 32 psi. Car has been in the garage all day so I am measuring cold pressure. Will keep the pressure as is and on Monday at my appointment I will question why the higher than called for pressure.
    When cars are being shipped, and many times while sitting on the dealership lot, tires will be inflated to well above operating pressure. This is to allow for some leakage, and so they aren't continually having to add air to tires on the dealership lot. The dealership should however have the pressures adjusted during prep when the car is sold. Some do, and obviously some don't. This lack of attention to detail does say something (to me) about how well the particular dealership pays attention to such details. :(
    I'd go ahead and lower them to at most 35 PSI apiece. See if that helps.
  • oarsdadoarsdad Member Posts: 64
    Today, my one-month old Accord's xm radio stopped working. No reception/volume at all. All other parts of the radio are working fine - ie. FM, AM, CD. Any thoughts on what I could check b-4 I let the dealer fiddle with it?
  • mcpdjohnmcpdjohn Member Posts: 44
    You're supposed to get the first 3 months free from XM radio. Maybe they accidentally turned you off after one month, or maybe the the free 3 months was activated 2 months before you took delivery of the car? You might want to call them and check. There is a serial number of the radio they will probably need to check your status.
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    You will still get the xm radio after the free trial, only selected promo stations will be heard. It sounds like a technical problem.
  • oarsdadoarsdad Member Posts: 64
    I called xm. The guy said sometimes you have to shut it off then back on to reset it. Thankfully, it worked. If it continues to do it on a semi-regular basis I think I'll let the dealer look at it.
    Has anyone noticed occasional interference on the radio's AM band when driving near large roadside electrical transformers or similar equipment?

I just noticed the phenomenon the other day while driving my wife's 2008 EX-L.
  • sjack1insjack1in Member Posts: 6
    Just took delivery of a 2008 Honda Accord EX-L with the 190 HP 4-cylinder engine. This car still hasn't been fully broken in yet with only ~ 50 miles on the odometer.

One problem that I had noticed with this car is that I get a rather annoying sporadic vibration when the car is idle (such as waiting at red light). The vibration + noise sound as if I had turn the A/C on for a few seconds, and turning the A/C off... and repeat. (The A/C is clearly off). I can feel the strong vibration not only from the steering wheel, but also from touching the dashboard too. The vibration and noise goes away as soon as the car moves away from idle.

I had noticed that one other person at ConsumerReports forum had reported this problem on his Canadian version of Accord EX-L I-4, but I just wanted to get a sampling of how many of you have experienced this problem and whether this "vibration at idle" is normal.

Thanks!
    I did not try the AM band, but oddly enough, I noticed my FM reception goes in and out. So did my XM reception. Today has been a cloudy, rainy day, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and try it agin tomorrow before getting too concerned. I'll check the AM at the same time.
    Did you notice the same when you test drove the car? Just wondering if it is intermittent or not.
    I have the same car and have no vibration issues at all. I'm picky and notice everything in my car -- and I can feel no vibration in my car at all when it is sitting at idle. Although I can notice the cooling fan or the A/C compressor cycling on and off if I'm sitting for long enough, neither of them create any significant or objectionable vibration. For that reason, I would think there might be some sort of problem on your car. :cry:

----I assume you are not referring to sitting at idle with the gear shifter engaged in one of the gears?? If so, that changes things . . . .
    I have a question for anyone knowledgeable about brakes. I have a 08 EX-L Accord that now has just over 5000 on the odometer. Since it was fairly new (about 600-700 miles) the brake pads have sqeaked under soft braking. I assumed it would go away. It hasn't. Two times in last 1000 miles I have tried some 80% braking stops to try to grind any glazed spots off the pads or rotors -- to no avail!! The sweaking continues. Further, under very slight braking, have noticed that the sqeaking actually pulses as the rotor turns -- indicating that the rotor is either very slightly warped or the glazed spot is only on one side. I have never noted any noticeable warping of the rotors (pulsing brakes, shaking steering wheel etc.)

The car had been test driven one time before I bought it. However, since I bought it, I did a break in period on the brakes and I'm sure that I broke them in properly. Also, 4800 of the 5000 miles that are on my Accord are highway miles. So, the brakes have not been used in any stop-and-go traffic. . . Frankly, they have been used very little.

Any suggestions on what might cause either a glazed spot or a warped rotor with so few miles and under these circumstances. Does anyone know what does happen if a brake is abused when it is brand new (i.e. could of it been damaged during the one test drive--before I owned the car?)

I would appreciate any advise or opinions . . ..
    ----I assume you are not referring to sitting at idle with the gear shifter engaged in one of the gears?? If so, that changes things . . . .

Changes everything. Every 4 cylinder I've ever driven has vibrated at idle, particularly when in gear.
    Update on my posting #121.

Car was taken in for service on December 31 for vibration and a thumping noise. It is still there. The service manager agrees that there is a problem and believes that the noise cancellation module that works in conjunction with the variable cylinder management (VCM) is defective. They are installing the new module today and then plan to test drive it to see if this solves the problem. Hoping to get the car back on Monday.
  • monkeygwdmonkeygwd Member Posts: 19
    I too had the same problem on my 08 EXL 4 cyl. After the dealer replaced both front struts, the problem is eliminated, to the point that the car drives entirely different (much better). The service adviser was able to tell that there was a problem almost immediately with mine. It would make noise over speed bumps, pot holes, and also any time the angle of the pavement would change, like in a v-shaped area for water drainage. I would definitely recommend taking the car into the dealership for service, as I am very happy now.
  • amandaakersamandaakers Member Posts: 4
    Okay..I have a 1996 4 door Honda Accord V6 and it has 170,000 miles on it....(I know it's a lot).

I've had it for about three years and I got the igniton coil replaced, a new timing belt, new spark plugs and fixed some oil leaks.

But once again I have another problem. Don't get me wrong. I love my honda. It's wonderful and I wanna make sure I can fix this problem.

Just recently I noticed that if my boyfriend drives my car over a pot hole or a big dip there is a bump noise and I can actually feel it under my foot in the passenger side of the car. It also makes the bump noise when I turn right a lot. I don't know what it is. Im scarred to drive it too far.

Also another minor problem is that when I'm driving normally not braking or anything the back wheels of the car will squeak a lot. I'm not braking. I don't know but if someone could give me advice that would be great! I need to know if my car is safe to drive or not!!! Please Thank You!

~Amanda :cry::cry:
    Both of these symptoms (front and rear) sound like the suspension is getting worn, and or loose. Suspension noises will usually get louder in the winter, because the old grease on these joints doesn't doesn't flow as well at low temperature. The squeaking in the rear could also be the rubber suspension bushings which also dry up over time. Suspensions on older cars do tend to make a lot of noise, but they rarely fail. Some shops will want to change more parts than others, so it's a good idea to get a second opinion on these things.
    Interstingly, my 1996 with 177k miles is a lot quieter suspension-wise than my grandmother's 2002 with 90,700 miles. My 1996 has had NO suspension work, nor has her 2002.
    Amanda,

Since yours is a 1996 (fifth generation) model, and this forum is for 2008 (eighth generation) Accords, you might also want to participate in the Honda Accord (1994-1997) Maintenance and Repair forum here:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.efdf920?displayRecent
  • hokie2hokie2 Member Posts: 6
    Anyone had any experience with putting nitrogen in their tires? My Accord EX-L's tire pressure light came at 1500 miles. Both back tires were pretty low and the tire guy recommended it...it costs $40.
    Nitrogen is all they use, and is free, at COSTCO tire centers. There doesn't seem to be much advantage over regular compressed air though. Just Google it and see. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=nitrogen+tire The idea is that larger size molecules may not leak out as soon as smaller sized ones. That doesn't matter if you check your pressures regularly.

I would recommend telling your tire guy to take a hike.
    I wouldn't pay extra for nitrogen - that's my 2 cents.

:)
    Isn't our atmosphere 85% or so Nitrogen anyway? It's the largest intert portion of the air we breathe - what a scam! That's worse than selling water in a bottle for a dollar!
    Isn't our atmosphere 85% or so Nitrogen anyway? It's the largest intert portion of the air we breathe - what a scam! That's worse than selling water in a bottle for a dollar!

78% Nitrogen, 21% Oxygen, 1% "Other Gasses"

Sorry, meteorology student here. :)
    Sorry, meteorology student here.

Hey, I am delighted I made it within 10% standard deviation! Thanks for the clarification. I stand by my opinion, it's a scam.