Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord (2008-2012) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• boqibamaboqibama Member Posts: 25
    thanks. It looks like the sound is not always there, wired.
  • wizardmanwizardman Member Posts: 1
    We have almost the same vehicle, less NAV... We just had our car repaired for some weird engine misfiring at 48,000 miles (orange engine light on). The dealer found 4/6 cracked factory spark plugs. When the computer codes were read, most were "misfire on cylinder X" where X = cylinder #. When I asked what caused the problem, the service manager told me "s**tty plugs" (read: cheap parts). I asked if the problem would occur again to which I received the answer, "It might." As long is "it might" after another 48,000 miles, I am OK with it. BTW, what fixed the problem before the dealer got to it was shutting off the engine and restarting.

You may start there - is the engine light on? Engine codes are a good place to start (even if the engine light is not on, have the dealer read the computer so all bases are covered...)
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    edited June 2011
    I don't know Mr Shiftright he said that he drives 97% highway and the brakes started screetching at 30,000 miles which is when he started to destroy the rotors. I would not make excuses for these Accords the brakes are crap. I had an 08 Accord and the brakes and rotors were shot at 19,000 miles. No more Honda's for me
  • michael2595michael2595 Member Posts: 72
    Your lucky , mine went at 7500 miles and I was told it was all my fault... I ripped the whole brake system out and put in everything new and not OEM.. An expense I didnt need but now I dont have to worry when my wife drives the car.
  • rkirchoffrkirchoff Member Posts: 65
    i've got an 08 accord v6 ex-l w/o nav and have not ever had any brake issues. i replaced my factory set at 45,000 miles and am currently still on them at 75,000 miles. i am using honda brake pads too.
    Thank your lucky stars.. you car must have been one of the ones that were assembled by people who werent drunk on saki. Never will I buy A Honda again.
  • jmillerjmillerjmillerjmiller Member Posts: 113
    edited June 2011
    2008 Accord Sedan EX-L V6 Navi:

Just had annual PA inspection at 28K. Original rear brake pads deemed OK with 7 remaining. Had the tsd for the package shelf rattle done.

As of tomorrow the 3/36 warranty is over - on to the power train only part.
    ---------
    Regarding assembly people drunk on Saki - I lived in Columbus OH a short time, during which I bought my 08 Accord, and Marysville OH where they assemble them is only 30 or so mins from there. I suspect beer drinking is more likely.
    --------
    My personal scorecard (new cars only), problem child = issues dealer could not fix successfully, or repeats of same issue again:

Brand - Total Number owned - Number of which were problem childs
    Dodge - 2 - 2
    Chevrolet Truck - 1 - 1
    Ford Truck - 1 - 0
    Ford car - 2 - 0
    Honda - 3 - 0
    BMW - 1 - 0
    Toyota Truck - 1 - 0
    Subaru - 1 - 0

I miss the 2002 Toyota Tundra Limited at times - that was a Lexus like interior and ride, high revving all aluminum V8 - most like a car. Not the large barge they make now. All these have been garage kept, but driven in Mid-Atlantic winters - I doubt this Tundra would ever have developed the corrosion issue with the frame.
  • kendall8kendall8 Member Posts: 28
    What is this Had the tsd for the package shelf rattle done.??? TY
    Below is a link to a PDF of the bulletin. There was an earlier bulletin for just the 08 coupe, this newer one includes 09's and sedans. Check the top of the first page for affected models and vin ranges:

http://mordor.rutgers.edu/accord/tsb/08-09%20rear%20shelf%20rattle%20on%20rough%- 20roads%2008-083.pdf

Basically, on certain sharp pavement humps, you would hear a low rattle in the back. Certain bass notes will show it, but that was rare for the music I play.
  • faster73faster73 Member Posts: 3
    I noticed a rattle in mine as well. After taking a quick look I found it was the passenger side seat belt buckle. It has a tendency to turn sideways and rattle between the seat and door.
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    My '05 Accord does the same thing. The seat belt turns around, after use, and causes a rattle.
  • hondalovahondalova Member Posts: 189
    I have a brand new Accord V-6 EX-L Coupe (6 spd., no navi). Occasionally, I get a "springy" noise from the rear of the car. I suspect it had something to do with the cable release for the rear seat but have not been able to pin it down. I intend to have the dealer address it at the 1st oil change. Anyone else had this, know of any TSB that addresses it, or have any other ideas about what it might be?

I like my car a lot - but I miss my 2004 EX-L Coupe. It got better mileage (old car averaged 27 mpg, new car is averaging 24 on same commute) and Honda has "cheaped out" on a couple of things in the new car (solid rear seat instead of split rear seat, no door sill plastic covers, only 1/2 the front storage binnacle has a door to cover what's inside, etc.). In fairness, they did also add a few things (one-touch up/down on both windows and sunroof, voice-activated bluetooth, & fog-lamps). Perhaps the most annoying thing is that the inside of the sunglass case only has rubber on the bottom and not on the rear vertical flange (unlike the same set-up in my wife's '07 Odyssey) and so my glasses rattle whenever they're placed inside, rendering it largely useless to me. I plan to glue a piece inside one of these days.

Guess ya' never appreciate what ya' had 'til ya' ain't got it no more. ;-)

-FS
  • picswimpicswim Member Posts: 2
    Just got back from a B1 service @ 45k miles. Shop (not a dealer) recommended transmission and power steering flush. They also recommended a fuel injection servicing. I passed on all of them but wanted to get thoughts on how often these and other fluids should be serviced.

The shop also really pushed the air filter change. I'm following Honda's recommendation on this and I don't drive in dusty environments.
  • cdamechcdamech Member Posts: 31
    My wife has the same 2010 Honda Accord with the Rattling noise ... Tried everything and still cannot stop it... Let us know what the dealer finds.
    Ther are pros and cons to having the flushes.. They may be pushing them becuase they have equipment to pay for... If you were to get the flushes ask if these are BG flushes.. I never ever had a power steering flush . I have had a brake fluid flush and an engine flush and tranny... Problem are the seals.. They my leak afterwards.. To me this company is the standard in the areas you are inquiring about and I would call a local shop that does these BG flushes and discuss with them what they think.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Car-Repair-Prices:-Fuel-Injection-Services,-Are-They-W- orth-It?&id=300855

http://www.bgprod.com/home.html

Have a prosperous day.
    I have had the transmission and power steering flush at a comprable mileage. The transmission flush is a must, as far as I am concerned. When they recommend any other flushes, ask to see the fluid. The service supervisor showed me my power steering fluid and it had lost its red coloring. I changed it. Apparently, Honda dealers recommend this fuel injection servicing. I always pass on that. I don't think you can go wrong with fluid changes; they are the life of the car.
  • fnc119fnc119 Member Posts: 12
    edited June 2011
    After 22,500 of mostly highway miles my 2010 Accord EX I had to replace the rear brakes. I asked the service rep how the front brakes were and he said they were almost new. I asked him how that could be, back brakes shot, front brakes new and told him it didn't pass the smell test. He said the dealership would call Honda and check. The next day he told me Honda was not backing my assertion and that I had to pay for it. I called Honda and after an argument and a week's delay with three different settlement offers Honda sent me a check for the full cost of brakes. A month later my son in law's 2010 EX-L V6 had the same issue at 26,000 miles and the dealer worked out a $25 replacement cost with Honda. My family has five Hondas and an Accura and this run around is causing us to rethink our loyalty.
    My 2010 Accord 4cly LX, has 25k miles. I drive 100 miles per day (round trip) When I got oil change (local shop) Said rear breaks are bad. Called Honda of America. They said take it to Honda Dealer. (south Shore Honda on LI NY) They gave me the run around, saying rear breaks last only 25k. LIE, LIE. They wanted $225, for new ones. I said what about the recall/ and class action law suite, They said do you want it or not. After you get it, call honda. No thanks, Left with out new breaks. Why pay 225, than not know, if get compensation. Called honda of America, they said they will get back to me. IS this a HONDA, or a FORD. What poor dealer service. I have had 4 Hondas. This will be my last. PS My wife;s lease is up, in 2 weeks. Was going to buy a Honda. NO THANKS..
  • isles1isles1 Member Posts: 119
    A strongly worded letter faxed to Honda Customer Service did the trick for me a few months back (refer to my prior posts on this topic in this thread). I was able to recoup from Honda my out-of-pocket costs for pads and brake repair inside of a month. By the amount of people showing up on this Forum, I'd expect a Class Action Suit that includes all 2010 Accords in the near future.

I am having my next oil change done at the Dealer just so they can do their free inspection thing so the wear on the new rear pads after about 5K miles can be properly documented. We'll see if using ceramic aftermarket pads cures the problem or not.
    I will never set foot in a Honda service dept ever...rotors bad at 7500 , then at 15.. said I needed rear brakes and blame the rotor problems and brakes on me. Charged me 700 dollars to turn the rotors.. I almost fainted. I f Only I had a flamethrower... Unlike most who had their brakes changed By honda with the same lousy pads, wtc, I took my care to a local shop and changed every brake related part in my car , even the calipers.with non OEM parts.. Honda can kiss my [non-permissible content removed] and now When My wife takes the car at least I know she will be safe with new rotors, pads and calipers.. ell worth the 700 additional dollars.
    I should have clarified that I did not let Honda do the work. I purchased the pads myself and had my prefered repair shop turn the rotors and install the new pads...labor was about $140 and about $20 for the pads after rebate. The Honda offer was about $20 less than the invoices I submitted, but covered my actual out of pocket costs (after rebate) so I did not make an issue about it.

And I generally expect one set of front and rear pads during a 3-year lease term, so there is also normal wear and tear to consider. No sense in getting gready.
    I have the same problem 2010 accord 25k miles(highway) South Shore Honda (LI NY) saying talk to Honda America. American Honda, giving me the run around. How do I make them do what is right?
    See my post from earlier today. Contact information, including fax #, is on Honda America website. Referring the the Class Action Lawsuit for 08 and 09 models, and the numerous complaints found on the Internet about 2010 models should help.
  • mcar10mcar10 Member Posts: 2
    Ok, looks that more and more of the 2010 owners are coming out, so the PROBLEM IS WIDESPREAD AND THEY DID NOT DO NOTHING to remediate a known issue.

I really hope that SOON a Class Action lawsuit will be in place even for ALL 2010 owners...
  • chebuckchebuck Member Posts: 3
    I have an 09 Accord Coupe V6 and have experienced oil consumption of about 1 qt every 6,000 miles. I now have 25,000 mi and oild consumption continues. Under dealer test presently. I am very disappointed with oil consumption. I have owned numerous Honda's, both 4-cyl and 6-cyl and never encountered this problem previously. I am suspicious that consumption is related to the VCM or valve seals. I have been using 5W-20 synthetic oil with no change in consumption.
  • 2hondaguy2hondaguy Member Posts: 14
    For waht it's worth i have 46,000 miles on my 08 exv6. I do change oil at 3,000 mile intervals with no oil consumption between changes. I use recomended weight. My previous Hondas have never used oil. Make sure to not give up on your issue with the dealer. Also, no real problems with the car whatsoever and on my original tires and brakes. Was one of the first coupes off the line.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    one quart every 6,000 miles you say? There's nothing wrong with that. That's quite normal. I wouldn't even worry about it.
    oil changes every 3000 miles? lol your honda has a maintenance minder built within the system and it will tell you when you need to change your oil. changing the oil every 3000 miles is a waste of oil and assuming you have it changed at the honda dealership, all you're doing is putting money in their pocket. according to the honda factory reps, you ought to pay attention to the car's maintenance minder and only change the oil when it says it needs to be changed. i use honda filters and honda oil and go approximately 8500-10,000 miles per oil change and never has my car ever used any amount of oil even when i have driven in extreme heat and bitter cold and cruised at speeds of 80mph for several hours. i have an 08 accord ex-L v6 with 79,000 miles and my dealership reminds me to pay attention to the maintenance minder on my honda. they have also told me they will not change my oil unless my car's minder says it has 20% of life or less. this is my 2nd accord ex-l v6 and i had 85000 miles on my 04 and it never used any oil between changes and it too went 8500-10,000 miles between oil changes per its maintenance minder.
    edited October 2007
    Thats just fine sir. What you do is your business. What i do is mine.
  • chebuckchebuck Member Posts: 3
    One quart every 6,000 mi may seem OK to you, but this is not normal for a brand new Honda engine. I suppose Honda will be more than willing to change my catalytic converter when it fails prematurely due to the extra hydrocarbons passing through the engine. I think not!
    gee, my maintenance reminder crapped out on me 4 times.. Oh well.. And If I listened to the Honda Factory reps (which I didnt) they told me I dont drive my car correctly for my brakes and front rotors to go at 7500 miles... WOW , for 40 years I have driven my cars wrong... I change my oil every 3,001 miles.. wouldnt want to upset you.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited July 2011
    I just wanted you not to worry. It is normal and it doesn't effect emissions or your catalytic. Trust me on this.

NOW...if over time the consumption would get lower and lower at each oil change, THEN I'd be on the same page with you. But if it is a constant 1 quart per 6000 miles, then I'm with Honda on this one---it is perfectly normal. I have rebuilt many engines for many years, and this is the case.

In fact, it's probably *good* for the engine to throw a few drops of oil every day into the upper combustion area.

You would be *shocked* to learn Honda's official policy on how much consumption is "normal". It's well below 6,000 miles per quart.
  • npolitenpolite Member Posts: 33
    Has anyone seen the brake pad issue on the 11? I don't mind changing them myself but hate to do it frequently. My sister had a awful time with her 08 before she traded it in 09. Her rear pads went out at every 15k. Now mom is up for a new car and why she wants an Accord I have no idea. I may have her wait another year before buying the full model change.
    I don't care what your maintenance minder tells you. That is too many miles between changes. It may not show up in the first 100,000 miles, but it will show up in the 2nd 100,000 miles. I change mine every 5,000. Oil changes are not expensive and it is the life of an engine.
    dont get me started... I was told I didnt know how to drive by the service manager because my brakes and rotors were going at 7,500 miles... I took my car to my local garage and told him to rip out everything connected with the brake system , even calipers.... 1,000 dollars later I must have learned how to drive the car... Now I feel totally fine when my wife and son take the car... I am not going to wait for some recall.. I would suggest you dont either and dont go to the dealer nor by OEM. You dont want the brakes going on you when you drive down a hill. good luck
  • rawhide4rawhide4 Member Posts: 1
    Handbook defines procedure for measurement of transmission level. Car on the level: warm engine with fan running: switch off engine and measure level with dipstick between 60 seconds and 90 seconds after switching off the engine.

I find that the level on the hatched side of the dipstick is at the bottom of the hatching and a bit higher on the back side of the dip stick. This seems low to me since I am assuming that the level should be within the range of the hatching. I made the measurements very carefully, making sure the dip stick was clean and that the measurement was taken within the 30 second time range allowed.

Yet Dealer claims that measurement is exactly where it should be.

Would appreciate some expert comment on whether I should add some transmission fluid.
    edited July 2011
    I'm i wrong, but it seems that most of these problems are with the four cylinder models? My 99 was a v6 and i didn't have problems. My 08 is a v6 coupe and i have had no problems with brake wear. I was a member of the class action lawsuit but as i said i had no problems.

The mechanic i use when i need brakes is very honest. Most people who own Hondas know about him. Adout 90% of his work is on Hondas.

When he looked at mine he said that there was a modification of some sort that he installs. It's just not a straight replacement. It's suppost to keep the pads away from the rotors better. That's about all i know. I cant believe that Honda continues to have brake issues. It's been an ongoing problem for years. I have been lucky. Maybe because my last two Hondas have been v6's having different pads/rotors/calibers??? I don't know.

Also, a mechanic is just that. Being human beings they are not always right. I had a Honda dealership tell me one time i had a bad instrument cluster when it was actually a bad alternator on my 99 Honda.
    According to Honda's factory reps, the maintenance minder is correct and it will tell you the correct time to change your oil. I was a bit skeptical about it too and was worried the honda oil filters would collapse after more than 4500 miles. I then took an old fram filter that had been used for 5000 miles and my used honda oil filter that had 9500 miles on it and cut them apart. I wanted to see the contents. I was shocked to see that the fram filter was coming apart drastically whereas the honda filter still held together and showed no signs of deterioration. That alone helped me decide to pay attention to the maintenance minder.

I must point out that I trade cars every 3-4 years or whenever my car's mileage reaches 85000 miles. And yes, I purchase a new car and it has less than 5 miles on it.

In this day of oil problems, I am concerned with too many people letting the dealerships con their customers into believing the maintenance minder doesn't work. I've been told by some dealerships that my warranty would void itself if I didn't change the oil every 3000 miles. That is bs too. All you're doing by changing your oil every 3000 miles is helping the dealerships and oil change businesses stay in business.
  • icyou812icyou812 Member Posts: 77
    I have seen many debates on forums pertaining to how many miles to put on an oil change. It would be interesting if you would be willing to spend a little bit of money and have the oil sent to a lab for testing after 9,500 miles. Just Google "engine oil analysis". I think it costs about $25 and they can tell you the condition of the oil and the wear on your engine (if any). Depending on the results, they would either confirm or dispel that the maintenance minder is correct. Personally, I run Mobil 1 5-20 synthetic 5K miles or 6 months in my 08 2.4. It's what I'm comfortable with. I don't plan on trading my car as often as you do so it seems like cheap insurance to keep the oil as fresh as possible. Years back my father ran his little 88 Dodge Ram50 15-20K on AMSoil with a new filter every 5k and that thing ran forever, even after he sold it. It had to have at least 200k on it, very unusual for one of those 2.6's. :surprise: I'm not that brave though....
  • icyou812icyou812 Member Posts: 77
    I personally never had oil analysis done because I don't put that many miles on. For the first 30K I did use conventional oil changed at every 3K w/Honda filter. Now using WIX filters with the Mobil1. People that are in to AMSoil and other extended mileage oils tend to do analysis to find out just how long they can go. If anyone is interested in more info about oil and other lubricants then check out bobistheoilguy.com. They have forums and a bunch more to read up on. (I am not affiliated with them nor even a forum member)
  • tonyf2tonyf2 Member Posts: 24
    I'm a firm beliver that the mi. minder don't work. I have 12k+ miles on my accord, my first oil change was at 4,500mi, when I checked my oil there was no oil on the stick.
    My minder read 60%. I'm on my third oil change now at 3,800 miles and I'm down 3/4 of a qt of oil and my minder reads 60%. You have to check the oil level, if you go by the minder you'll destroy your engine.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    The oil minder is not meant to tell you how much oil is in the engine. It is used to tell you when to change your oil. The oil level MUST BE checked with the dip stick.
    and they live among us. wow! i thought i had heard it all until i read about the person that thought the maintenance minder was for checking oil levels and not for when to change the oil. oh my!
  • tonyf2tonyf2 Member Posts: 24
    Wow- What you say here does not make sense. So what you say is wait till the minder go to "0" even if your short 2 or 3 qts of oil because it says change your oil now. Oh my.
  • fosterphx1fosterphx1 Member Posts: 12
    As most of you know, Honda lost a class action suit relative to inferior rear brake pad life. My advice is to put on the best ceramic pads you can find and hope for the best. My garage warrants the pads for life so I only pay the labor charge. Ceramic will extend pad life, eliminate brake dust, and provide a very smooth stop (assuming you replace or resurface the rotors).
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Do not let the engine go to two or three quarts down. Check your oil with the dip stick. If it is at the add oil level, then add it. Don't go below a quart down.

The oil minder advises you when to change your oil assuming you are not using any. If you use some oil between changes then top it up. The oil minder has nothing to do with the oil level.

Why is your engine using so much oil?
  • pilotattitudepilotattitude Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue, I don't know what to do either.
    I looked up these postings back in 08 when it happened to mine the first couple times.

Only thing I have found is to try and avoid rapidly flipping xm channels. Let each one stabilize and play for a few seconds, as I found when channel surfing, if I happened to change the channel when it was going in and out due to reception issues, the complete outage seemed more common.

When it quits, you get the station and song information, but no audio. And the only way to fix it is to turn off the ignition. I read in a review about a Ford having similar issues occasionally, but they got lucky that Ford's design had the decoder get reset by turning the radio off and on.

It pisses me off when it happens, and as you found, us owners are SOL.
  • hondalovahondalova Member Posts: 189
    Car was in for service today. The rattle had gotten much worse before I brought it in. They said there is a TSB out for it and that they tightened something that sounded like it was part of the underside of either the rear speaker or the rear package shelf. Haven't gotten the car back yet but I will post again if I have more info. or its not fixed. -FS :shades:
  • macsanmacsan Member Posts: 27
    Back in 08 I purchased a brand new Accord EX four cylinder. Several days after, I began hearing a rattle in the rear speaker deck area only when I went over a speed bump or backed out of our driveway which is on a hill. It was beginning to really get on my nerves. I went as far as getting my wife to back it out while I observed and listen in the trunk! I didn't find anything loose I could fix so I took it in to the dealer. Once there I took the service manager out with me so he could hear it. He believed me and not only that seemed to know what it was. He was very nice about it I have to admit. Anyway, they fixed it and it hasn't been a problem so far. There was no TSB on it that I knew of back then . I think he said it was a fastener that they retightened back near the rear deck.