Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Accord (2008-2012) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    diuneidiunei Member Posts: 23
    has anyone removed the "Accord" letters from their new accord yet? Can you tell me how you did that? I want a plainer view of the back.
  • Options
    chucko3chucko3 Member Posts: 793
    Your first problem could be the outer tie rod end. If that's the case, the car would
    not be safe to drive.
    Don't know about the other.
  • Options
    mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    Dont' try to pry off the letters, that can damage the paint. Take a piece of strong string (dental floss) and draw the string back and forth while pulling it thru the double faced tape behind the letters. The string will act like a saw, and will cut thru the tape. Now you need to use a solvent (WD-40 works) or a Goo Gone type of adhesive remover to remove the remaining adhesive. The solvent doesn't dissolve the adhesive, but softens it so you can rub it off.

Mrbill
  • Options
    diuneidiunei Member Posts: 23
    thanks. i will try this out over the weekend.
  • Options
    rnickeymousernickeymouse Member Posts: 32
    The noise is coming from below the grear shift. I hear it on bumps or rougher roads and when turning slightly on a curve. It sounds like styrofoam pressing againts something. An annoying sound. I can force the sound by putting preasure on the gear shift from side, or pressure on the area around it. Any thoughts
  • Options
    bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    Perhaps I have already posted this -- but I am having the exact same problem with my 08 Accord. It started about 2000 miles ago (I have 5500 on the odometer now) and it is not getting better - in fact, it is getting worse. It started as a barely noticeable "crunch" under the gear shifter when the interior was cold. Now, it doesn't go away, even when the interior heats up, and it is a semi-loud "creek." It is most noticeable when I accelerate. Like you, I can make it very noticeable by lightly pushing on the side of the gear shifter.

Please let me know if you find a fix . . . . I'm over thinking that any car can be completely squeak-free, but this is a noise that is not acceptable and is very noticeable --- and its getting worse :( . Because of the location and character of the noise, I'm virtually certain its not a mechanical or safety issue --- just very annoying!
  • Options
    I'm at just about 2000 miles. The sound is not mechanical but a scratchy sound. I think it has to do with insulating material in the counsole.
    Is your Accord is Japan made? Mine is.
  • Options
    accordboi03accordboi03 Member Posts: 7
    My 08 Accord EX coupe has had a noise (similar in nature) coming from the passenger side door/dash area which doesn't happen all the time... It too sounds like creaking / styro-foam clanging together perhaps... my coupe was made in Ohio...

The dealership where I purchased the vehicle is over an hour away from me, so Im hesitent to bring it in and have them tell me they "Cannot duplicate problem" or "Operating as designed" two things I used to hear quite a bit when I owned a Saturn years ago...
  • Options
    parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    "The dealership where I purchased the vehicle is over an hour away from me,"

Hopefully that is not the only dealer around you. As you may know, you can take your new car to any Honda dealer for warranty work.
  • Options
    whampa65whampa65 Member Posts: 36
    I just bought a 08 Honda Accord EXL/V6 and I was looking under the hood at the engine and when I went to close it, it wouldn't close. I had to literally "slam" the hood down to get it too close properly. Has anyone else experienced this? Could new owners do me a big favor and check this out and see if you have the same problem, hopefully it's just my car. I will bring it back to the dealer and see what the problem is, hopefully it just needs an ajustment. One other thing I noticed when I got my car back from the dealer was I had a small ding on my hood. I called the dealer and they said to bring it up and they would have the paintless dent remover take care of it. Don't get me wrong, I love this car and thinks it's fantastic. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    Mine closes pretty hard also. I'll look at it further now that you mention it,
  • Options
    No problem noticed.
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    How do you go about closing the hood? If it works like the past generation, you drop it (from less than a foot up). You can dent the hood trying to push it down.
  • Options
    If you drop it from a foot up or less it will not close, it just pops back up, that's why I had to slam it shut. I was just wondering if anybody else had this problem?
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    I recall, years ago, having checked my oil or water and leaving one of the caps on top of the battery. I then slammed the hood shut since it resisted my efforts. I left the unrepaired raised dent in the hood there when I sold the car years later.
  • Options
    Same here, mine won't latch being dropped from a foot. This worries me, I know I can be careful closing it, but will others.
  • Options
    jimp5jimp5 Member Posts: 1
    While the noise seems to come from different places (dash, gear box, etc.) it is actually from the glove compartment of my 2008 EXL. The door's tapping the opening of compartment's box when the car vibrates and this generates the annoying noise. I took a 8.5x11 piece of paper, fold it 4, 5 times to make a cushion, and put it between the top of door and the box when closing the door (basically creating a small gap between the door and the box when the door is fully closed).
  • Options
    accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    Thanks for the tip - do you mean put a piece of paper or cloth between the opening/closing of the glovebox door ? doesn't this interfer with the latch closing ?
  • Options
    I was just assuming a foot would do it (that's what my 03 manual says to do), so read your owner's manual to get the correct way to close the hood. The latch may need to be adjusted up a little, or the supports on the edge adjusted down, to make it work better (pretty simple to do, but it may take some trial and error to get it perfect). Does the hood look like it is aligned with the fenders and the front end?
  • Options
    greatwhitegreatwhite Member Posts: 7
    I had same problem in My Accord 08 EX. Tried closing hood in many times then took it to dealer. Who slammed it hard and closed it. He told me thats the way to close 08 Hood :confuse: :confuse:
  • Options
    That's ridiculous, you shouldn't have to slam the hood that hard. I'm taking my car to the dealer today and I'll let you know how I make out.
  • Options
    Brought car to dealer and he adjusted the latch and everything is fine now.
  • Options
    foxwood_21foxwood_21 Member Posts: 31
    the light will stay on unless you have tps installed on your steel wheels I did not insall them on mine
  • Options
    amiramir Member Posts: 115
    hi.i have an 08 accord ex coupe 4cyl. i noticed that head rests can not be adjusted.they are fixed.but in sedan they can be adjusted.and side mirrors are not folding but in sedan they do.are these normal in the coupe?
  • Options
    matador51matador51 Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2008 Accord EX-L V6, beautiful car!

There started to be a hesitation when I turned the key to start the car and lately at times it will not start at all. If I try again later it may start.

On one thing I did was change the headlight selector switch from auto to off and when I tried to start again in a few hours it started and has been starting continiously since then.

I had not used the car in a couple a weeks so if that was the problem, taking it back to the dealer is a wasted excercise.

Please advise what equipment is energized when the selector switch is on auto. It says in the manual not to leave the switch in auto position if you are not driving for a week.

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    rodiron620rodiron620 Member Posts: 53
    You have a VCM issue as do MANY MANY others.. please move over to the 2008 Honda Accord VCM "forum for all the latest info and shared experiences. Honda is aware of this issue I have it as well as many others. its nots good my freind.
  • Options
    Please be sure and let us know if that fixed the problem.
  • Options
    It isn't the auto selector switch for the lights causing the problem. The car worked fine this morning and the starter would not even engage this afternoon.

roadside assistance is coming for the car monday to bring it back to the dealer (2 hr tow). Any ideas what is causing this problem?
  • Options
    phantomvphantomv Member Posts: 101
    The fan is definitely noisy on higher speeds - worse than that on our recenly donated 1990 Legend!!
  • Options
    hank119hank119 Member Posts: 39
    whampa

That's how my hood behaves. The manual instructs you to push down on the hood when it is one foot above the latch.
  • Options
    rocklinrocklin Member Posts: 2
    Bug4- I also own a 08 Accord (6 cyl). My neighbor is the GM of the local dealer and I have good relations with all the service writers. I have experienced the same braking sounds you describe in your post. My car is 5 months old with 2000 miles. I notice brake noise at stop signs. The dealer has advised that this may be Honda's first service bulletin for the 08 Accord as they have been getting similiar complaints. I was curious if you had this issue resolved or if you are living with the brake noise? Many thanks, Eric.
  • Options
    Nope - no resolution yet. I now have 6000 miles and the problem remains. However, it has lessened and sometimes appears to even go away. Makes me wonder if the brake pads, themselves, are simply prone to glazing. On the other hand, I'm not sure how my brakes could get glazed, they get used very little and I've never heated them up ---- but perhaps that's the problem? Maybe I need to take a little trip down a "brake burner" hill and see if that doesn't stop the noise? I'll post the solution if I ever get one . . . . (Thanks for sharing your experience and please let us know if there is a TSB on the issue).
  • Options
    rocklinrocklin Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for reply on brake issue. The squeak is only heard intermittently during soft braking as you have described. Its not terribly loud but more of an annoyance on a new car. All my driving is via the city, no high way, but only in short 10 mile intervals. I will post an update if a solution is found.
  • Options
    phantomvphantomv Member Posts: 101
    The pads may be too hard. I am sure that Honda probably engineers the pad material for all around driving, and each of us drives in different conditions. High speed heavy braking would call for a harder pad. Slower speeds and more moderate braking - softer pads that would wear quicker. You might find this of help too - sometimes an accumulation of brake dust can exacerbate the squeaking - get some of that canned compressed air and blow them out. It might help. I have had various cars over the years with this problem - not unusual - endemic to disc brakes, regardless of car manufacturer.
  • Options
    I had the car towed to the dealer using roadside assistance. They ended up replacing the starter.
  • Options
    musicscenemusicscene Member Posts: 4
    I too have noticed a brake squeek coming from my new 2008 V6 Accord. It doesn't do it all the time, but it is annoying. I thought it might be because of new brakes but I would think not when I see here many are having the same problem
  • Options
    hank119hank119 Member Posts: 39
    My EX-L V-6 has been behaving perfectly. However, my manual says to check the transmission fluid monthly. The instructions are to start the engine and let it idle until the radiator fan comes on, then shut down the engine. After 60 seconds take out the tranny dipstick, wipe and check the fluid level. Sounds simple.

Problem is the damned fan doesn't come on after 20 minutes of idling The temperature gage come up to the normal position and just sits there.

I tried warming up engine by running the car and then following the procedure, but the oil sloshes up the dip stick tube and its impossible to get a clean reading.

This is my first Honda. Any other vehicle I've owned had a cold and hot mark on the dip stick.

Any ideas ?
  • Options
    When the temperature gauge is at the normal operating range, or even close to it, you can check the fluid level then. I have found that the level does not fluctuate much from cold to hot anyway. Stop the engine, let it sit for 5 minutes, pull the dipstick out, wipe it off, insert the dipstick, pull it out an read the level. It's not rocket surgery. :D
  • Options
    brockpbrockp Member Posts: 11
    anyone else notice that their rear drivers side door does not sound as solid when closing as the passenger side rear door? Mine has a very tinny sound, versus the solid closing sound of the rest of the car doors. I'm not sure why, and am curious if this is normal, or I'm just nuts...thanks.
  • Options
    The door, or the latch may need adjustment. Does the door look like it is lined up with the rest of the car?
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I'm not impressed with the news I see here. I'm trolling, because I sell some hondas from time to time, but I think I'll steer clear of the 08s.....

Gees, maybe Buick or Ford is the way to go these days?
  • Options
    classact1classact1 Member Posts: 6
    I have had the 2008 Accord EX since mid-October. Last week, when the temperature dipped to 11 degrees F, the left rear speaker made loud popping sounds for a few minutes until the car warmed up. I chalked this up to exceptionally cold weather (although this problem never happened on my previous 3 Hondas.) It had also rained hard the previous day, so I'm hoping that water did not somehow get into the wiring. However, the same thing happened when it was 37 degrees outside. Has anyone else experienced problems with the Accord's speakers when it is cold (or mildly cold)?
  • Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    The 08's have had a few bugs, but it is to be expected since they are a new design, but the issues have been minor, except for the VCM, but it sounds like a matter opinion most of the time. Most have had no problems with their accords. Now, when they do have problems dealers are not helping because they have not any other problems. You are the guinea pig when it comes to new design. New parts, items that go along with it.

I do have to be honest, it does make me a little concerned as far as trading my 06 lease for the 08, only because my 06 has been excellent, no problems. My mom did say though, you can't go wrong with honda, and I shouldn't be worried. I am waiting until spring anyway, so that will help. I am going to ask the dealer when the car was delivered to the dealership. I am still however confident in the 08, but just concerned. The 08 accord is the only car I want.
  • Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Why you would knowingly buy a first year vehicle with known exposure to this problem is beyond me. If you love the accord styling, get the 4 cylinder.
  • Options
    jinsmurfjinsmurf Member Posts: 5
    I bought a new 2008 Honda Accord EX-L 4 cyl on Saturday. I'm noticing vibration at highway speeds that feels like wheels are out of balance.

The dealership told me that this is because the cars have been sitting on the lot for a while, causing uneven tires. He said I should drive it for a while, and that the tires would "remold" themselves. I think he is full of dung.

Any experts on this? Why would a new car have tire balance problems?
  • Options
    I drive my 08 in lots of cold weather (-15F to 25F) and I have never had any problems with the speakers. Is it the speaker enclosure popping or the actual speaker making electrical/audio pops? If its the latter, temperature likely doesn't have much to do with it. I'd take it to the dealership.
  • Options
    The dealership told me that this is because the cars have been sitting on the lot for a while, causing uneven tires. He said I should drive it for a while, and that the tires would "remold" themselves. I think he is full of dung. Any experts on this? Why would a new car have tire balance problems?

"Uneven Tires"

Indeed, I have some expertise on this issue. "Uneven tires" is a term of art used in the automotive rubber industry. It is sometimes used by a service department manager or one of his designees to mean: "an automotive tire/wheel problem of unknown origin and/or of a character whose diagnosis or remedy is beyond the work threshold and/or motivational aptitude of the employee assigned to fix the problem."

Caveat: it can be uttered only by a speaker of subaverage intelligence who commonly mistakes a customer for a dip [non-permissible content removed]!

[PLEASE: report this type of conduct to the general manager and owner of the dealership. I also would report it to the better business bureau and to Honda of America.]
  • Options
    p.s. --if the tire is, in fact, uneven or unbalanced as a result of sitting on the lot (likely in a flat condition), the tire needs to be replaced and will not "remold." Tires definitely can be damaged by sitting for long periods in an underinflated condition.
  • Options
    vietviet Member Posts: 847
    Jinsmurf,

The saleman is probably right. Tires without rolling on the roads for so long are getting a bit unelastic. It's a minor issue with rubber itself. Same issue with spare tires that are saved for so long without mounting to the wheels and rolling on the roads.
  • Options
    ar39ar39 Member Posts: 61
    I beg to differ from you. The cause of the vibration could be the wheels aren't balanced. A bent wheel can cause vibration but, this can be ruled out since the car is new. I would go back to the dealer & ask him to rectify it; the car carries a warranty.