Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord (2008-2012) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I was hoping he wouldn't be so silly as to go 140 on a public road.
  • ljgbjgljgbjg Member Posts: 374
    I think you were hoping wrong.
    Road and Track says that the 2008 6 speed Accord V6 coupe is electronically limited to 130MPH. http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/download/1107_rt_dp_accordCoupe.pdf

Car and Driver confirms it in their test results as well.

So we have a 20+ gallon fuel tank and a car that goes 141 despite being electronically limited to 130? Seems to have an exceptional car there.
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    sorry - that would have been relevant info for me to include! I have the 08 I4 w/ AT.
    :) No need to apologize. Just was curious because I had had some throttle response issues with my V6 as well. Hmmmm....I wouldn't know what to say - on old carbureted cars you had an accelerator pump in the carb which, if faulty, would cause the lag you experienced. Since the new car is drive by wire throttle it would appear you have a problem with that component. Good luck getting that fixed ASAP - that could be dangerous, as you already found out. Stay safe!
    There is a TSB on low power on acceleration on the I4 - this may address your problem! Good luck.

07-057 SEP 07 Campaign - PCM Software Update for Low Power on Accel.
    Thanks ljgbjg - that will be helpful to know when I take it in! :)
    You are welcome - may not be the solution but it is a thought! Good luck! :)
  • macno0bmacno0b Member Posts: 22
    Any1 notices that? I test drove the LX-P the other day. It was not that extremely noisy but I could def hear the engine sound. I am not sure how bad it is on the Highway? Could someone provides me some feedbacks before I buy this car please? Other than that, I love the car, from the design to the handling.
    Hondas are known for having more interior noise than some of its competitors. The best way to find out how it is on the highway is to drive it there yourself.

Remember one person may feel "its obnoxiously loud" and the other may find it "nice and quiet," it's all relative.

Try it yourself.
    Not that many dealers here are close to the highway. What do you personally think? Coming from a guy who owned a Mitsubishi FTO (not in the US) with a big muffler that woke the neighbor up everynite, may be not a problem for me.
    I do not recall where but there have been road tests showing the '08 Accords being noisier than the previous generation, perversley, the ANC perhaps having something to do with it. :confuse:
    What about other factors? I am wondering why its rating is only 8.9 on edmunds while the camry 09 gets above 9. Same on yahoo auto. Someone suggested me googling "Honda transmission lawsuit" and much to my chagrin, Honda admitted transmission failure on several Honda Accord 2008 and Civic 2008. i was set for an 08 Accord LX-P but I am hesitating now.

I want to buy a car that will last more than 10 years :P.
    I don't put any stock in a difference that is that small on those customer ratings. I was reading a review someone wrote of the new 2008 Taurus (my parents are looking). They had nothing bad to say, and were gushing over the car. They gave it straight 8s.

My personal feeling? I have a 2006 Accord and find it perfectly fine on the highway. If you had an FTO (I'm somewhat familiar with that sports-coupe), you shouldn't have a problem with this Accord. It'll be much quieter than THAT obviously. I have a 1996 Accord which I don't have a noise problem with, and my 2006 is a HUGE amount quieter. You hear the engine when driving at low speeds because of the lack of tire noise or wind noise. On the highway, you likely will have some tire noise, but won't hear the engine unless you downshift, if my 4-cyl Accord is any indication.
    Thanks, I think there is a big diff between the 06 vs 08 accord. The 08 has more HP but the same amount of cylinders.
    The 2.4L engine in the Accord, CR-V, and Acura TSX are very flexible on horsepower. They all sound similar though.

08 CRV - 166hp
    06-07 Accord - 166hp
    08 Accord - 177hp - 190hp
    08 TSX - 205hp
  • carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    The 08 Accord is reasonably quiet. The rust protection (with sound insulation) can reduce the tire noise.
  • steve58steve58 Member Posts: 24
    Just got it last night :) Nighthawk black pearl. Just reading up on the problems,,,
    Steve
  • matador51matador51 Member Posts: 17
    Has anyone used the turtle Wax product called Ice ( total interior care) on the cars leather and vinyl interior.

I have 2008 Accord V6 automatic Accord with the black leather seats and
    I assume black vinyl dash.

Some people use the McGuires Gold product but I think that is only for leather.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Has anyone used the turtle Wax product called Ice ( total interior care) on the cars leather and vinyl interior.

I have 2008 Accord V6 automatic Accord with the black leather seats and
    I assume black vinyl dash.

Some people use the McGuires Gold product but I think that is only for leather.

Thanks for the feedback.
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    I have not used the ICE. I have the same car as you do and opted to go w/ what my Honda dealer was selling to be on the safe side if something goes wrong. I am not sure how much ICE cost. My local dealer sells a 1/2 Liter of Lexol leather conditioner for $8.95. I have seen leather cleaners also but Honda recommends just saddle soap and lukewarm water.
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    ICE is an outstanding product I have used it for both int./ext. it's made by Turtle Wax. ICE especially for the ext. is outstanding you can use it on everything black moldong mirrors it leaves an outstanding shine.You wont need Armaorou anymore outside anymore theI CE doesnt turn white on any thing.
  • bndiebndie Member Posts: 12
    Mine is some kind of hesitation to get out of 2nd gear. It has 550 miles on it LX-P.
    Ok - filled our '08 EXL V6 Sedan last week in NJ. Drove back to Manhattan, then at 80 MPH to Clark's Summit,PA on I-80, 380, 81 - 156 miles - refilled it - 6 gallons. 156/6 = 26 MPG. Not bad. Then drove 138 miles to Syracuse, NY on I-81 at 70-75 and refilled again - 4.6 gallons. 138/4.6 = 30 MPG!!!! Very Pleased.
  • slingshot80slingshot80 Member Posts: 55
    I test drove two yesterday, the 4 then the 6 at Boch Honda in Norwood, MA, the largest Honda dealer on the planet as they say. I then bought the black EXL V-6 with leather to get the "ivory" beige interior with the wood trim. The other colors do not come with the trim and the lighter interior color with the trim improves the appearance in my opinion. They had no V-6 white or red vehicles which also have the same interior. There were hundreds of silver and metallic gray ones, a few green and blue ones.

The test cars didn't seem that noisy. Today we went on as long trip at higher speeds and we could barely hear each other talk. I am definitely looking into sound proofing as it is really unacceptable to me. Probably cost another $1,000 to do it right. My friend's 2008 Camry is very quiet.

Also the sound quality of the radio is poor. Will have to look into better speakers. I am coming from a 2002 Mazda Millenia S, a class up, which was much quieter, had a better interior and had an excellent Bose sound system. The color of the interiors of the two cars are almost identical.

The Accord seat is very hard in the middle of your back, the built in lumbar support. This car reminds me of our 2000 and 2002 Impalas. Has more safety features and better acceleration and handles better.

BTW, I didn't notice the cylinders changing from 6 to 4 to 3 very much which has been an issue for some of the owners. At 245 miles we had only used 1/2 a tank, will report mileage tomorrow night under the mileage thread.

Hope it's reliability is good as they say but I bought a 100,000 mile 5 year warranty anyway which gave me a lower interest rate. I drive 22,000 miles a year.
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    Before passing judgment on the radio try a CD that you've liked for it's sound quality. I find that the CD's sound fantastic with the audio adjustment settings pretty much in their neutral positions. The XM radio on the other hand sounds tinny and much less full. If you experiment with the audio adjustments you can get the radio to sound nearly as good as the CD but now that you've boosted all the levels beware the next time you play a CD as it will be way over boosted. I've wished for preset equalizer settings since I bought my 08 EXL-V6, something that used to be quite common but Honda chose not to include this time around.
    I've wished for preset equalizer settings since I bought my 08 EXL-V6, something that used to be quite common but Honda chose not to include this time around.

I have never seen this technology in a Honda; it was quite a commonality on the old GM Theftlock stereos.
    Never saw it ono a Honda - but even 1st generation Acuras had it
  • accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    Ive used Turtle Wax ICE liquid clay bar, paste wax, liquid wax, and ICE exterior detailer- and can truthfully say they all work excellent (although would say the paste wax is better than the liquid.

As for the interior detailer, I can't say as I haven't used it thus far, but would give it a try considering how good the rest of the product line is.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    The ICE wax is easy to apply and remove, but it doesn't last very long. Nu-Finish lasts much longer, but it's not easy, considering all the white dust (especially on a Black car). So it depends, do you want it to be easy, and have to wax more often? Or hard, and less often? I also tried the ICE liquid clay bar, and was not really impressed. I'm thinking about trying the Mother's clay bar next time.
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    My XM radio does not show the entire name of the long songs or albums. Does yours? I thought it was supposed to scroll to show the entire name. Also, it just shows only one info (name, singer, etc.) until I press the button to alternate manually. I also thought it was supposed to alternate between the singer's name, song name, etc.?
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    Mine like yours shows incomplete title if they are long, but your question made me seek my manual and I found this:
    The display shows up to about 14
    characters of selected text data (the
    folder name, file name, etc.). If the
    text data has more than 14
    characters, you will see the first 14
    characters and the indicator in
    the display. Press and hold the
    TITLE button until the next 14
    characters are shown.

I've never tried holding the title button, just a quick push to cycle thru it's functions. I'll give it a try when I go out for lunch today and put to use what I've learned. As far as alternating, I've noticed that when a song first comes on from an XM source it does briefly display the artist then remains on the song title. If you switch to a CD it does display the name of the disc before it shows song titles. I try not to get to fixated on the display as I'm usually in considerable traffic. I listened to my first Red Sox game on XM recently and found it very convenient that the display shows innings-outs and other pertinent info that you are usually looking for when you first put a game on, but usually have to wait what seems forever for the announcers to get around to informing you.
    Thanks also, which I4 is it on.
  • dlongoddlongod Member Posts: 5
    Just got my 08 Accord EX-L 4 cyl Sedan a couple of weeks ago. Is there an easy way to turn the daytime running lights off? I haven't really messed around with anything yet but if somebody knows exactly what to do, I would greatly appreciate it!
    I think you can remove the proper fuse for this. There is no switch to turn them off, or any "cheat" to do by pressing a series of buttons or anything. They aren't meant to be turned off since they're a safety feature.

Why do you want them off, may I ask?
  • rkirchoffrkirchoff Member Posts: 65
    According to my dealership's service manager, if you disable the daytime running lights then problems with the air bag may occur. I don't like them as well but I'm stuck with'em. I've already decided my next car will not be a Honda...too many morons making drastic changes that many of us don't want, need, or care to have.
  • dwashcodwashco Member Posts: 4
    As some prevoius posts have reported ... re: lights dimming -- I pulled my 08 (I4 EX-L) up to a large wall of a bldg at night and can clearly see the lights dim when the condenser kicks on. Furthermore the condenser cycle period is about 6-8 secs ON then OFF, ON etc... Has anyone been successfull at getting any information regarding this problem or whether this is actually considered a problem by Honda or normal ?
  • accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    Daytime running lights- like VSA - will likely be Government mandated if it isn't already... and well over two thirds of cars already have them... So you can run - but you can't hide! :P
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I would have had to ask, what daytime running lights have to do with airbags?

Other than that, ALL cars are becoming more and more complex (not just Hondas). All cars will be required to have stability control soon, and systems to improve fuel economy are getting more complicated as well. If you want a simple car, I suggest a 60's model (would have said 70's models, but they started with the emissions controls).
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Check for a good power system. Your battery needs to be strong, your alternator needs to be putting out the rated voltage and current, and your power cables need to not have corrosion on the connectors or up in the cable. Corrosion creates resistance, dropping the voltage and limiting current flow.

Many autoparts chains will do a free battery/alternator check, where they check it driving an electrical load. A visual inspection of the cables is usually the first step, but if everything checks out then you'll need to have a good mechanic check the resistance of the main power cables and ground, to pinpoint possible internal cable corrosion problems. You do this under load drawing a current, so you can see if there is any voltage drop (proving a resistance). Voltage = Current x Resistance.
    The headlight "flicker" problem appears to be happening on every 08 Accord I4 model. All the posts on this forum have indicated that dealers are saying it is normal. For me, its not a big deal. However, some have reported that the problem is sufficiently drastic that oncoming traffic might think they are flashing their lights. Mine is no where near that drastic and occurs only every 20 seconds or so . . .
    Nice explanation but this problem is apparently endemic with 2008 Accord I4 cars. Many many people here have posted with the same problem and these are brand new cars, nothing to do with corrosion, loose cables , weak batteries, weak old alternator.
  • dlongoddlongod Member Posts: 5
    I want to turn the daytime running lights off because at night when I turn the lights to off, the daytime running lights stay on. If I want it completely dark, I have to turn the engine off so the daytime running lights go off as well.
    I have no idea what daylight running lights has to do with the airbag system. This is something the service manager told me.

I do know that since I've been using these idiot lights...daytime running lights...that I've been almost hit many more times. More people have pulled-out in front of me and then once they hear my horn and see me swerve to avoid collision, they look at me like...where did you come from. To me, the addition of the daytime running lights has added more glare to drivers. I've also noticed when trucks/pick-ups are right behind me that their daytime running lights are darned near blinding via the rear view mirror and the automatic mirror-dimming does not work to prevent this. I miss the old style mirror that had that tab on the bottom side so the driver could flip the mirror upwards or downwards to prevent blinding lights/glare. Having my windows tinted with the 20% tint has certainly helped to reduce the glare/blinding daytime lights.
    can't say much about the radio system. I rarely listen to it. I've tried to listen to XM but have found that most stations that I liked would always play the same songs at the same time darned near everyday. And then sometimes, they'd play some song that was soooo bad that it was better to just turn-off the radio entirely.

XM is not something I'd order on a car. It was there when I bought the car. I seldom used it but when I did want to use it for weather, I found that there were no cities available that were close to my location...SW Indiana. I used the normal FM-radio station to hear weather for my locale. Soooo...why pay for something that is not just already free but has more local news and more local weather?

To me, silence is golden when traveling. It gives me time to think. I must add though that when I encounter some moron that has his radio turned up quite loudly that forces me and others to listen to that $%^&$^^ hiphop...I then turn on my radio and tune it to classical music then I, too, crank it up and force him to listen to "real" music.
    Sorry I don't have a better answer for ya, but here's what I can tell you I'd do...

When you park, set the brake. Turn the car off, then back on, if you need it to sit with the lights off. Don't release the parking brake. The DRLs shouldn't come on. They only come on after cranking by releasing the brake.

If you're doing a lot of sitting with the motor running, the extra fuel used in shutting off and re-cranking the car won't matter much - you're mileage will be shot anyway.
  • jpljpl Member Posts: 36
    Hi Purchased 08 EX-L, w/Navi June 24th, having some problems, anyone else experiencing these problems???

1) Driver's side seat skip's going back
    2) Navigation System, Sometimes have to press button twice before response
    3) My BIGGEST PROBLEM, Seems to be all Front-End
    a) When appling brakes, the front seems to shake-shimmies
    b) At high speed, slowing down the shaking-shimming is more pronounced
    c) When accelerating to high speeds, from time to time it feels as if it is gliding, hard to explain, when I was a kid riding My bike, if You shifted & it did not go into gear, but You were moving faster. scary!!

Appreciate any help in this matter

jpl
    Bring it back to the dealer and show him
    8 EXL V6

1) Yes - skips and sometimes jams altogether like there is something in the tracks. Jimmy Hoffa? :P
    2) Yes from high speed. Suggest you have rotors checked for warping - the pulsation of braking can casue the whole fonrt end to shimmy. Since it happens only when braking, I put my money on warped rotors.
    3) No
    I live in Canada where it gets really cold in the winter. Last Dec I purchased a 2008 Accord V6 and today it has slightly over 3000 miles on it.

The oil change light still says 70% so at this rate I will go through two winters without ever changing the original oil.

Does this seem right or maybe there is something wrong with that indicator. I change the oil every 3000 miles on my truck and always before winter.