Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner iPod/Mp3 connection

cwyoungbcwyoungb Member Posts: 1
Does anyone know where to buy the required cable to to connect my Ipod to the ipod/mp3 port in the center console?

Comments

• welldonewelldone Member Posts: 15
    cwyoungb,

I got mine at fry's for $3.
  • esanchezesanchez Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 toyota 4runner i would like to know if it is safe to install a cassete adapter so i can hear my ipod music or if there is anything i need to know about. :D
  • wmp1283wmp1283 Member Posts: 7
    I just picked up a used 2007 Sport Edition w/ JBL system.

I'd like to add XM radio and an IPOD adapater that will allow steering wheel controls to control the IPOD as well as to have song titles/artists displayed.

I've been searching looking for info on:

1 - what parts to buy
    2 - how to install

Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks.
  • 4runner774runner77 Member Posts: 1
    Hey I just bought the 2008 4runner Urban runner and the TOMTOM Ipod is not working I am not sure if I need to hook it up to the UBS port or the AUX port in the center concole. The dealership is not sure where or how it works and I don't have the time to drop it in service for them to look at it. Does anyone have one or know how it works
  • wrj1wrj1 Member Posts: 11
    You don't hook it up to the USB port. You hook it up to the AUX port in the center console BUT you cannot use a standard jack that you insert into the AUX and into the iPod headphone jack (as one would expect) if you want to control the Ipod via the TomTom touch screen. You need to get a specific part from TomTom called their Ipod Connect Cable. Note, however, that the resulting sound quality is supposed to be poor. Option: go to Radio Shack and get an audio splitter for about $10. This allows you to plug both the iPod and TomTom into a single port with no interference. The only downside is no controlling iPod with the TomTom. Not that big of a deal to me, however, as I am used to that. -- Hope that helps!
  • keb2008keb2008 Member Posts: 1
    You mention still being able to use your iPod via the AUX jack, even though you would manually have to control the ipod selections. I am unable to get it to work even then. What am I doing worng? I turned "Aux On" via the tom tom instructions, but still get no sound of the iPod thru the speakers. Any advice?
  • paulinctpaulinct Member Posts: 5
    I know this is an old post, bit I thought I'd respond anyway, maybe it will help someone.

I just bought a used 06 4Runner. I plugged an IPod into the AUX jack and it wouldn't work, but I realized that the plug wasn't in all the way. If your IPod won't work try pushing the plug in the center console a little harder, it might not be fully inserted in the jack.

Paul
  • jepsenjepsen Member Posts: 3
    I hope this doesn't reach a dead thread.

I am trying unsuccessfully to play MP3 music from a USB drive on the Tom-Tom audio/navigation system of the 2009 SR5 4Runner w/Trail Edition package. According to the display, the songs are detected. The progress bar moves as though the system "thinks" the music is playing, but there is no sound. It seems I am following the manual's instructions. It is in USB mode (USB displayed in upper left). The USB format is supposed to be "ISO 9660 Level 1 or Level 2." I "forced ISO compatibility" with the MP3 burner I am using, but I'm not sure if this qualifies as ISO 9660 Level 1 or Level 2. Has anyone else had this problem? I wonder if the cause is similar to the one causing the iPod problem in an earlier post on this thread.
  • neptuneneptune Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I'm having the same problem as described above by jepsen - same 4Runner Trail Edition with a Tom-Tom audio/navigation system. It detects the songs from my USB connected MP3, allows me to search and select a song, appears to be playing the song but no sound comes out. It is not muted as the CD player and radio sound work just fine.

Any solutions?
  • rnojtrxrnojtrx Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem until I figured out that I had muted the Tom-Tom voice directions. By the way I have the very same 4Runner with a Truxxx lift/leveling kit.
    Great SUV.
  • mikeprebsmikeprebs Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 4runner limited. My iPod was working fine through the aux port in my glove box. When I updated the software on my iPod from Apple the connection in my 4runner no longer works. The connection is recognized but no songs will play nor audiobooks. Both had worked b4 I loaded the new software
    I know I can "revers" the update on my iPod but it is very cumbersome and confusing-is there a way to update the 4runner software so it again compatible?
  • runnerrunnerrunnerrunner Member Posts: 1
    I bought my '08 Limited in May of this year. Immediately noticed that the aux jack didn't recognize anything I hooked up. I have a basic line cable, exact same one that I use in my Acura and never had an issue in that car.

The Disc/Aux button works for everything, however when I press it to switch to aux instead it just stays on disc mode. Unknown what could possibly be the problem but its driving me crazy and I don't know what else to do. I've taken several suggestions from several people and applied them but nothing seems to do the trick.

I'm reaching out to anyone now!!!