Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Noises, Rattles, and Squeaks

2»

Comments

• brendatbrendat Member Posts: 2
    My 2009 Toyota Sienna just recently had the short block and one cylinder head replaced. Since the van was delivered from Nebraska to Illinois there is a rattle noise coming from somewhere around the dashboard. I know they did not do anything with the dashboard, but that's where it sounds like it's coming from.

I took the van to our dealer and they were able to recreate the noise and stated this is a common issue with these vans from 2009. Apparently the noise is coming from the break (true, it happens when i pump (gently) the brake pedal) OK? Is there a fix? They are suppose to call Toyota corp today and check if there is a fix. or else they said they would dig and try to find an answer. They assured me this is not a safety issue.... I want to trust them but I'm not sure if i can. After the short block issue and all the repairs.... on 2009 vehicle...

Has anyone ever seen/heard this noise? Is that 'normal'? I vote for not normal but will they fix it? Should i keep this van?
  • spsiennaspsienna Member Posts: 1
    We have owned our 2011 Sienna for one month and have loved it EXCEPT for an intermittent rattling noise coming from somewhere in the interior. I think it might be coming from one of the seats. It sounds like plastic hitting plastic or metal. It's not a squeaky sound. It happens randomly, even on smooth roads, at any speed, in any temperature or time of day. All the seats are securely latched in place, no seat belts hitting anything, no items in storage bins. I took it in to the dealership's service center to troubleshoot it but of course when we drove it around for half an hour it drove perfectly and silently! I am wondering if anyone else has this issue? I'd love to hear any suggestions you all may have. I love my van but this drives me crazy! Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
  • tanya9tanya9 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what might be causing this? The dealership had no answers.

Thanks!
  • tomjones3tomjones3 Member Posts: 4
    This sounds alot like the rattle I had in my 2008 Sienna and the dealer took two years to resolve. In the end, it was in the side sliding door "Striker & Lock Assembly ". After many other ideas, they finally replaced both assemblies, which for my 2008 was listed at 85.91 each, but paid via warrantee. Good Luck. The part # on my dealer work order was 69370-0802L & 69380-0802L.
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    TSB 0094-10 (issued 3/2010) describes the door latch issues. Coverage outside of the 3/36 is at dealer discretion. It could be latches, strikers or stoppers (additional parts over and above what they changed for you).
  • hinesredomhinesredom Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2011
    The noise in our 2010 Toyota Sienna started at around 11,000 miles. We knew the noise came from some place in front of the passenger and driver's seat from 0 to around 40 MPH anywhere from the front bumper to the dash. The noise was there every day but was inconsistent. It came as we stopped, started, turned, and traveled straight, even not over bumps. We took it into a dealer service department in Feb 2011. They denied hearing the noise. We had no idea of what to do and put up with it for the next 4,000 miles. We had spent US$26,000 for that new 2010 Toyota Sienna and it now had noise at 11,000 miles. We were a very disappointed Toyota customer.

In April 2011, we then took the advice of an auto body shop owner, contacted the "service manager" (not a "service sales consultant") at the dealership, express our disappointment in the service last February 2011, and ask for service where we could ride along with the service technician. In response to their saying the noise was normal, we were ready to demand a ride in another Toyota Sienna to accept the noise as normal. If they once again disappointed us, we were ready with trump card and would tell them that we would give them a bad rating with the ACSI - American Consumer Satisfaction Index - if they didn't fix the noise as the vehicle was under warranty (Apparently, all dealers live and die by the ACSI rating and even one bad review sends the management into a tizzy and the upper management's anger makes its way to the service manager, who is thus motivated to avoid bad ACSI reviews at all cost).

In our April service, the technician acknowledged hearing the noise and, as my wife drove, I wrote down everything he said during the ride (in case I had to file a complaint with the ASCI). The technician sat in the passenger seat and I sat directly behind him so he could not see me write. After arriving back at the dealership, we left the car there and, a few hours later, the dealer called and said the technician spent a few hours and tightened/torque every fastener in the entire suspension system (which, it turns out, were not out of spec per the dealer), drove the car, and still heard the noise. He then checked the cowl panel - a panel at the base of the front windshield below the hood. Apparently, below the plastic cowl top ventilator (part no. 55781E -search "Cowl Panel & Windshield Glass" for a 2010 Toyota Sienna at villagetoyotaparts.com), resides a metal plate. From when we bought the car to 11,000 miles, it appears that a gap developed between that metal plate and a metal stage below that plate. As we drove, those two would hit each other, causing the rattling that then would be pass into the passenger compartment both via the ventilators and through the dash material. The technician stuffed some foam insulation in the gap and the noise finally (!) was gone. Even better, all of the service was covered by warranty and we owed no money for the repairs. I haven't seen the foam insulation and the problem may have been a loose suspension system, but the noise is gone, so we're now happy.
  • bjapril45bjapril45 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2011 Sienna in April 2010. After about a month, the right rear passenger door began to rattle, as well as the second row seats. I have taken the van in to two different dealerships for a total of 7 times. They say they replaced the door panel and even some parts in the door assembly, as well as tightened everything associated with the seat assembly. However, the door and the seats still rattle. Sometimes the dash rattles, and last night the AC started to whistle. I am very disappointed with Toyota. Have owned two Camrys and one Highlander without any problems. I don't have any suggestions, other than to submit a written complaint to Toyota. They recently asked if I would like to have an engineer look at the door.
    I'm curious as to whether this actually happened on it's own, or if it was 'helped along' by the service department. Let me explain.

If you open the hood and look at the engine compartment, you will note that because of the rake of the windshield the whole cowl panel extends over at least half of the engine. Per the shop manual, the first step in almost any engine service is the removal of most of what is shown in the Cowl Panel exploded diagram. A good half an hour of disassembly before you do any repairs. I can shoot you a page from the shop manual if you want to see.

Here's my theory. Among other things that might have been done underhood, there has been at least one recall involving the replacement of the VVTi oil hoses. You might see it on a service entry as "LSC 90K". I think that getting the engine shroud off requires removing the entire cowl. I'll bet that if you didn't hear this noise when the van was brand new, it's the result of a tech not reassembling it right at a previous servicing.
  • radek1974radek1974 Member Posts: 1
    Had the alternator belt replaced and this helped with the less noisy constant noise. The harsh loud noise still persists (5-10 seconds) after I start the car. It is a 2004 Sienna. Any clues?
  • hinesredomhinesredom Member Posts: 2
    fibber2 - I don't recall having any engine service in the first year I owned the 2010 Toyota Sienna. We only had oil changes and replacement of the cab air filter. The noise just seemed to appear and then grow in frequency over time until it was constantly present. When I picked up the minivan after the repair, I opened the hood while at the dealer in front of the entrance to the repair department and tried to see where the technician made the repair. I was looking to see where the technician stuffed some foam insulation in the gap of the Cowl Panel. Well, the service sales consultant came over and I asked him if he could show me the repair. He told me to check the repair by driving the minivan and then closed the hood (!). Mind you, I had just paid for the repairs, took possession of the minivan, and the dealer no longer had authorization to touch my minivan. I'm not sure why he became annoyed. Maybe it didn't look good to have a customer looking under the hood in front of the repair department or he was annoyed at the amount of time they had to spend fixing the problem. However, they did fix the problem and so now we are back to thinking that when we replace our 2010 Sienna, we'll replace it with a 2013-2014 Sienna.
  • ottawa_ladottawa_lad Member Posts: 3
    I got my 2011 Sienna LE in March 2011. I had a rattle coming from the back since the day of delivery. It was very annoying. It was coming from the little plastic sled between the two rear seats. When my kids held their hand on it the rattle went away. Finally had the car back to the dealer for the first time today for that parking brake recall. They said I needed a new seat part and track. They will call me when the part comes in, so I can't say yet if they solved the problem. Sounds like I am not alone.
  • sky1arksky1ark Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2011 sienna and passenger sliding door rattles. Aside from the fact that we have turned off the power door option after having them get stuck so many times, we now have this rattle coming from the door. It almost sounds like the window is loose. I'm tired of the run around from dealer. Does anyone know what this is?
  • sky1arksky1ark Member Posts: 2
    Anyone having trouble with a rattling noise in passenger door of 2011 sienna? Sounds like the window isn't shut tight.
  • tomjones3tomjones3 Member Posts: 4
    We had this problem in a 2008 Sienna-Took two years of effort and finally they replaced door lock assemblies in both sliding doors and that took care of the problem. Good luck.
    In the rattling seat track/sled problem I mentioned earlier, my dealer actually had the audacity to suggest it might be due to the fact that I installed non-Toyota seat covers on the seats! I didn't know Toyota even made seat covers, but that was just ridiculous. Why would putting seat covers over the upholstery cause a rattle in the seat track/sled? And why for non-Toyota covers but not Toyota covers? He also asked me if I had removed the seats to install the seat covers. I did not, but I said "So what if I did, they are removable seats, are they not?". They seemed to be grasping at anything to deflect or deny responsibility for these rattles, which were there from the day of delivery. I couldn't understand why they cared. It was warranty work for which Toyota would pay them! Why dick the customer around?

Consumer reports was right. Nice van, and one of their two recommended minivans (Honda the other), but definitely dropping in quality, fit, and finish. This Sienna (2011 LE) seems cheaper inside than my last one (a 2000 LE), has had more initial quality problems, and lets far more road noise intrude into the cabin. Off the lot, I actually paid $200 less for my 2011 LE than I paid for my 2000 LE. That should have tipped me. Ten years later, how can the same trim line of a car cost less? They cut quality/corners, that's how! Still the best van out there, but not as good as before.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    definitely dropping in quality, fit, and finish

CR dinged the new Ody as well; it also scored lower than its predecessor.

Kia just added a new powertrain, but I think when they do the full redesign they have a real opportunity to take leadership in this segment.

Right now? I'd shop pre-owned, to be completely honest.
  • capitalfederalcapitalfederal Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2011 model purchased in 2010, 40,ooo miles on it and it sounds like a diesel engine when cold, the Toyota tech representative said it is piston slap and it is normal. If piston slap is normal with a Toyota that is new, what is it going to sound like at 100,000 miles. If it makes it there. What a disapointment. The independant mechanics I have consulted all agree that it is NOT right for an engine in this era to have piston slap. Toyota defenetlly is not in my future. Consult with your independant mechanic. Good luck with Toyota.
  • yanifyanif Member Posts: 4
    We bought a 2012 Sienna LE, and the interior rattling noise already started in second week. It sounds like two aluminum beach chairs hitting each other. The noise appears coming from the second row seat behind driver. When the seat cushion is depressed lightly by hand, clicking noise can be heard. Has anyone have the same problem? How can it be fixed?
  • stratus78stratus78 Member Posts: 16
    Hi Spsienna,

Did you get this sound fixed? I got the same rattle. I moved the right 2nd row seat a little bit and the sound stopped for sometime before restarting. Thank you...

Hem
  • capitalfederalcapitalfederal Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for your ideas, but my rattle is in the engine, the Toyota factory representative says that it is PISTON SLAP and that it is normal, well if that rattle is normal and it lasts till the engine is good and warm ( 10 minutes in southern CA.), then it is a big engine flaw, a big pice of junk that the piston is banging against the cylinder till it is warm is bonkers. The rattle is getting worse as more miles are on the engine. Toyota just does not want to admit that they have a problem engine. Piston slap is normal on some engines but it goes away after 1 minute of warm up time. In this case I think the piston is slapping around in the cylinder for the tolarences are just to big and they know it.
  • stratus78stratus78 Member Posts: 16
    Hi Yanif (mistakenly referred to you as spsienna),

Did you get this sound fixed? I got the same rattle. I moved the right 2nd row seat a little bit and the sound stopped for sometime before restarting. Thank you...

Hem
    Yes it was fixed. Something to do with the long slide seat track.

On the invoice, it was
    1 72170-08010 TRACK ASSY, RR SE
    1 72190-08010 TRACK ASSY, RR SE
    2 72129-08040-EO PROTECTOR, SEAT T
    2 72129-08030-EO PROTECTOR, SEAT T
    1 72129-08040-EO PROTECTOR, SEAT T

Covered under warranty, as you'd expect since the rattle was there from the day we drove it home.
  • momster3momster3 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    I am having the same problem with the 2011 Sienna driver's side sliding door. I have taken it to the Toyota dealer twice and they still haven't fixed it. One day they had it for 8 hours and put a piece of felt in it to stop the noise. Now it is worse. I hope someone here has had some success in getting theirs fixed, so I can have an idea of what I can tell them to look for. I have owned Toyota's for many years and I love everything about this one, except it seems to be far more noisy than any others we have owned.
  • maxwell_2maxwell_2 Member Posts: 1
    Every Sienna I've ever been in was a nasty rattler. Toyota cutting corners really stands out, the Sienna is a sea of hard dull looking plastics throughout, nah not for me. Might as well buy a Caravan for a lot less money and it will do as good a job.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Sorry but that's a ridiculous statement. I've been in many Siennas as quiet as a tomb.

Hyperbole at its worst.
    Has much to do with customer upkeep. Keep all the door seals well lubed (Shin Etsu grease or other rubber dressings), and the van (any van) will remain whisper quiet. If they dry out, the doors will creak and rattle, wind noise intrudes, etc.

Net: It's largely up to you.
  • yanifyanif Member Posts: 4
    Hi stratus78,

I finally brought in my vehicle to a Toyota dealer today to have them take a look. I also mentioned TSB 0180-12 for this problem. Then they told me that a new seat frame had been ordered. So I'll wait to see whether this will fix the problem.

Have you got your problem fixed?
  • blessedmom2blessedmom2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2012 Toyota Sienna XLE van and the rattle from the second row seats are driving me crazy. I am taking it in with some of these service codes to see if it can be fixed. I have driven a Toyota for 25 years but this is my last one. This van has 3 recalls and multiple issues. I am done.
    In addition to being an active participant here, I'm also a moderator on another Sienna board. A number of people have had their power door recall done in the past few weeks. It entails pretty much a gutting of the interior to install the new wiring harnesses required to carry the higher current draw required by the motors to prevent fuse blowing. Many are complaining of a whole bunch of new rattles and creaking noises as a result of poorly tightened fasteners, broken plastic clips, etc. Just a heads up to note how the interior looks and sounds going in, and report new problems IMMEDIATELY to your service manager so that they can be resolved.