Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Vibration/Pulsation/Bouncing

casper49casper49 Member Posts: 4
edited July 2015 in Dodge
Hi all, I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 QC Auto, 5.9,360 w/77k miles. When I'm driving between 40mph and 50mph and then apply the brakes it does a weird Vibration/seen in the side view mirror the truck bed bouncing and even in the cab also can feel it in the pedal. but really noticable on a down hill. I'm not sure if its coming from underneath the truck. vibration/bounce does peak at 40 and goes away at lower speeds and if its still there its not noticable. I did have a "tread" seperation blowout but tire was still inflated on my right rear, and it seems like every since its been doing this , Now I thought it was my brakes so I replace them not once but twice.. 1st time 07/17/06 new rotors and pads then on 04/30/07 to find myself feeling this pulsation/vibration or bouncing again so I replace again turned the rotors and replce the pads, NOw its 10/28/07 and still feel it so I replace the back brakes turned drums to notice they seem appear to be in very good wear after 4 yrs or so..but still feel this after replacing them. What other problem could this be causing this. is it steming from I was think maybe shocks, drive shaft, Would and alignment be in order??? Experiences? If i take it in I'm almost sure they'll just give me the typical "We didn't seem to find anything wrong". or " We looked underneath, and everything seems to look fine and have to give them 100.00 for looking.

See Also
Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 History

Comments

• dvdmachinedvdmachine Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Dodge ram 2500, hemi engine, and it was recently at the dealership to have the front and rear pinion seals changed and the tranny rear seal also, and ever since I got it back its been making a vibration/noise when I give it little throttle. The faster I am going the worse it is but its only when I slightly touch the gas. Doesn't happen when I am not touching the gas, doesn't happen when I push the gas down to accelerate. Only when I slightly push it to keep the same speed I am going. I took it back 3 times, they can not find a problem. I looked under it, everything seems fine. Any ideas???
  • casper49casper49 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 QC Auto, 5.9,360 w/77k miles. When I'm driving between 25mph higher and then apply the brakes hard it does a weird Vibration/ shudder really bad seen in the side view mirror the truck bed bouncing and even in the cab the whole truck shuddering really bad or even feel it at the lower speeds, also can feel it in the pedal the pulsation. but really noticeable even worse(maybe due to the momentum on a down hill. when released not able to feel it . if Im going 70 and have to hit the brakes.. it shudders really bad. I Put new tires on, I'm not sure if its coming from underneath the truck. vibration/bounce does peak at higher speeds and starts goes away at lower speeds and if its still there its not that noticable. I did have a "tread" separation blowout but tire was still inflated on my right rear,, Now I thought it was my brakes since its only when I apply them and it can be felt only when applied , so I replace them not once but twice.. 1st time 07/17/06 new rotors and pads then on 04/30/07 to find myself feeling this pulsation/vibration in the pedal again so I replaced again, turned the rotors and replce the pads, Now its 7/14/08 and still been feeling it the last time i replaced the brakes so I replace the back brakes 04/30/07 turned drums to notice they seem appear to be in very good wear after 4 yrs or so..but still feel this after replacing them. What other problem could this be causing this. If by chance it is the front brake pads..Is it the(quality) ??? Experiences? I did have an accident 2 yrs ago rigth front side fender area in from of the wheel, but when they repaired the truck surly an alignment was done, would mit be the wheel bearing hub?? If I take it in I'm almost sure they'll just give me the typical "We didn't seem to find anything wrong ?? ". or " We looked underneath, and everything seems to look fine and have to give them 100.00 for looking. Or they'll say its my rotors or pads are bad, But when I put new rotors on and new brakes pulsating came back within couple mon months , Now I have done brake jobs for many yrs and havnt had this type of reoccuring prob. I raised the rear wheels to see how they would respond and rev'd up to 50pmh then applied the brake and seemed to be fine... does it really have something to do with those fronts? and why are they pulsating after a short period of time. ..Any other ideas?? I know if "A" mechanic gets it they'll start replacing parts until they find it. with the possibilities listed is it possible to find the problem fairly fast? is it best to take it to a dealer?

Drive line out of balance, (wheel bearing) Hub Assembly, calipers,
  • ajk2ajk2 Member Posts: 1
    2001 DODGE DIESEL- BOUNCES AT 35 MPH TO 45MPH THEN AGAIN AT 55MPH TO 75MPH - FEELS EXACTLY LIKE A TIRE OUT OF ROUND SO I GOT ALL NEW TIRES, HAD THEM BALANCED THEN BALANCED A SECOND TIME-SAME THING-
    THEN BALANCED AND STAIGHTENED DRIVE SHAFT-REPLACED CENTER BEARING AND UJOINTS.
    TWO NEW REAR AXLES-NEW HUBS AND BEARINGS.
    NEW REAR ROTORS.
    STILL THE SAME BOUNCE OR VIBRATION.
    ANY IDEAS? THANKS, BIG AL
  • minardiminardi Member Posts: 30
    This stinks of a bad or damaged u-joint. Possibly the original cause of the pinion seal leak. Need to get under the truck and try to flex the joints up, down, and sideways.
  • chef10chef10 Member Posts: 4
    Hey I got a 97 3500 diesel and my mechanic told me its time for a new trac bar .Should I up grade to a new one for a newer model with the help of a adaptor kit or stay with OEM . Truck does its share of work and off road play .Chef
  • vegaman3vegaman3 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 with 4.7L. I've been getting this high frequency noise from underneath. It happens at most speeds only when im on the throttle, once i let off the throttle the noise stops until i get back on the throttle again. I changed the fluid in my differential, thinking that the noise was coming from in there, but the noise continued. I looked underneath, thinking something was loose, everything looks fine. I read another posting with similar problems, he was told it was the u-joint, perhaps. Will it be the same problem for me or is there something else it could be?
  • jrichardson69jrichardson69 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4. Original owner and it has 38K miles. I have had the dealer replace the front rotors three times, resurfaced twice.....the brakes provide a pulsing sensation when applied. I have had the wheels re-balanced every 5K miles and the alignment checked between every 5-10K miles. The last rotor set was lasted only 4K miles. The dealership at this point says that it has past the warranty timeframe and that I am on my own. thoughts?
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Does this vehicle ever sit for periods of time without being moved or driven, like for several days or more?

Regards,
    Dusty
    Dusty,

Thanks for responding. The vehicle is driven daily.

Thank You,
    John
    John,

I was thinking that the pulsation was from rust build-up from the pads being in contact with the rotor at rest for extended periods.

Regards,
    Dusty
    Thanks for the response. Received a call from the dealer today....after four rotors and 5-6 trips to the dealer since owning the vehicle......they finally identified the problem. The calibers were bent. The dealer is now offering to replace them ....at my cost since the vehicle is out of warranty. Working with the dealer to have them push this through under warranty since the problem has been ongoing and they have just now found the problem. Not due to negligence on my part......
    Wow! Both calibers were bent?!

Well, at least its something different.

Hope this resolves your problem and I'm glad your dealer is trying to support you.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • BeartoBearto Member Posts: 2
    I seem to be having all the same problems that you folks are having and am not getting much support from the dealer or chryler either. I live in Canada and from almost day 1 my truck has had a vibration. I took mine back to the dealer on the second day i owned it and the service manager told me the truck is new, go home and let it break in. Well I did and the problem never went away. I brought mine back to the dealer and told him the problem exists in both 2 and 4 wheel drive but gets worse when in four wheel under acceleration. I took him out for a test drive he thought I was crasy. He never the less looked into it and for that he balanced my tires (20" ones). When i got the truck back the vibration was still there so I took it back for more work. Next he thought it was the rear driveshaft (after 2 of em he decided to look elsewhere). Needless to say I have been though a bucket load of parts including new tires, new rotors, brakes, driveshafts, transfer case, shocks. I have owned this truck for just over 2 years and so far it has spent about 4 months in the shop.

While i have put up with this problem to the point of just waiting to my lease to expire the truck is broken down again due to the tipm failure (which appears to be happening alot as well with the part being on back order and no eta of when it will get fixed) and without 4 wheel drive there is too much snow to drive around all i would end up doing is getting stuck.
  • georgek1nygeorgek1ny Member Posts: 2
  • georgek1nygeorgek1ny Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2001 dodge ram1500 and i get a vibration over 40 when i hit a bump. the faster i go the louder it gets, if i let off the gas and go below forty it stops,it also stops when i hit another bump,it is on going bump starts it, bump it stops untill i go under forty and it never happens no matter how many bumps i hit can someone help me i already changed ujoint in the axle front dr side for the 4x4 it sounds and feels like rumble strips
  • ottsrx7ottsrx7 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have a 99' 4X4 Diesel QC with the exact same problem. I just spent $300. to have new U-joints installed, The carrier bearing replaced and both driveshafts rebalanced. It did not fix the problem at all. My hood and mirrors shake at the same speeds you have problems. The only time it seems better (not 100% though) is if I'm towing with a lot of tongue weight.I've replaced tires, Wheels still no fix. I've upgrade the converter and valve body. . . no help. . . trans shop said the rest of the tranny looked great.

Have you found a fix for your truck yet?

Steve
  • ndovundovu Member Posts: 1
    my dodge is extremely weird,the blower goes on fullblast if yu remote start,when yu apply the brakes the blower goes off.am also experiencing the same vibration at low speeds and also when i brake.the truck rattles and its uncomfortable.any ideas folks?
  • alanstevenalansteven Member Posts: 12
    i have a slight vibration/hum at 50-55mph ..it goes at 60 mph ...the whole truck shudders..but not like wheel balancing..any ideas people ???
  • stanoskistanoski Member Posts: 76
    I sometimes think I feel this slight vibration too every so ofton at approx: 50 to 60 mph but haven't put much thought into it as i don't drive these speeds too much. In the City its under and on the highway its over. This subject has also come up before on this site. f its not a tire balance issue, it might be a transmission issue (4th or 5th gear at low RPM's??) Let us know what you may find out about it.

Ski in TX

2007 RAM 1500
  • mechmikemechmike Member Posts: 2
    you might have a bad shock
  • slt68slt68 Member Posts: 1
    I own a '95 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, has the 5.9 gas engine, 4spd. automatic tranny.
    between 50-mph up to about 60-mph, my truck has a very bad vibration problem, even tends to hum a bit under loads going up hills, seems like I'm losing power until I get back on level ground, then everything smoothes out. Does this with or without being in overdrive! The truck is in excellent shape. Maintained every 4000 miles. Does anyone out there have any clue's on what my problem might be??

Guy's at the local Dodge Dealership doesn't have a clue!! After spending close to $1,200.00 I still have the same problem as before. :confuse:
  • tczjr5tczjr5 Member Posts: 2
    replaced the cap and rotor and wires going to put new plugs in it WHAT ELSE CAN IT BE
  • bauerwbauerw Member Posts: 1
    hit the button at the end of the shifter and put the truck in tow/haul when traveling at speeds 50-80 km/h
  • BeartoBearto Member Posts: 2
    After dealing with my vibration issues since November 2006 I finally won my case with Chrylser Canada and they were forced to take back my leased truck. Bottom line is Chrylser was unable to repair it. So all of you out there that have vibration issues with your 2006 1500 quad cab 4x4, there is a real problem and its not in your head. :shades: :):):)
  • powell4630powell4630 Member Posts: 2
    Hi im having the same problem with m 2003 Dodge Ram Hemi and was wondering if you ever figured out what was causing the vibration?
    This may not be related to this guys vibration situation but on other RAM vibration threads it might help. Check the air pressure in your tires. I have found that running the tires at about 32 psi compared to 35psi (or higher) you get a smoother ride with less vibration or at least thats my experience. As long as you dont go under 30 psi, tire safety shouldn't be an issue (in my opinion).

Ski in TX
  • powell4630powell4630 Member Posts: 2
    The vibration im having isnt constant so i dont think its the tire pressure. When im going around 50mph or more and let off the throttle there is a spot where it makes the truck vibrate and makes a noise. throughout the rest of the throttle range its fine. on a coast and on using the power just that point in between where its going from power to coast it has the vibration. If i hold the throttle in that postion it does it constantly but thats the only spot of my throttle range it happens. Im thinking it might be something with the torque converter. Any Ideas?
    The vibration you are experincing has come up here before with no solution. I "think" I feel it too on my 07 RAM 1500 at between 50 & 60 mph on an uphill road. I believe it is the tranny lugging in overdrive between these speeds. But thats only my opinion. Usually when the engine is chugging along up a slight grade or such you will feel it.

Dont worry, be happy! Not much you can do about it.

Ski in TX
  • cgreggcgregg Member Posts: 2
  • cgreggcgregg Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Dodge 1500 4x4 with a Hemi (>100K miles) Over the past couple of months I get a vibration or howling from the rear end only when accelerating from a stop. I have coasted to a stop and get the same results so it is not break related. Does not happen all the time but often enough to drive me crazy. It will stop after I get to about 10 MPH . Has anyone had this issue or any idea's of the cause? Been to dealer once with it but as usual they did not hear it at the time.
  • woodst1145woodst1145 Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE D SAME VIBRATION
  • slaughter1slaughter1 Member Posts: 2
    did you ever get this problem resolved? I have had 4 different dealerships check the vehicle for the vibration with no resolve. slight vibration, (can actually see the passenger side seat shaking). they replaced several parts.
  • slaughter1slaughter1 Member Posts: 2
    did you ever get this problem resolved? I have had 4 different dealerships check the vehicle for the vibration with no resolve. slight vibration, (can actually see the passenger side seat shaking). they replaced several parts.
  • ottsrx7ottsrx7 Member Posts: 2
    Not Yet. . . It makes me crazy. . . did they fix yours? if so what did they do?
  • davelbdavelb Member Posts: 11
    I have just leased a 2007 Ram 1500 that has a terrible vibration in the rear. They have replaced many parts and have had the truck for over 8 days. I wonder what you did to get Chrysler Canada to take back the truck..? The dealer has indicated that they cannot fix the truck.
    Bearto,

What specically is vibrating do you think? How fast are you going? RPM's at the time of vibration? Does it all the time or just sometimes? I have an 07 that vibrates sometimes but only between 50mph & 60mph in overdrive under a load (or slight uphill). Same deal or different?

Ski in TX
  • july21july21 Member Posts: 4
    Add me too. Looks like I had the same work done as you and still vibrates.I sued Chrysler thru the Lemon Law and got paid. However don't want to stick someone with a vibrating truck. Have you had any luck finding the problem? Thanks, Ron
    edited May 2010
    Dodge 1500 4dr 4 whl drive 4.7L engine 5 spd auto. I have a vibration (midcar type shimmy) most evident at 55 to 62 MPH. Don't feel anything in the steering wheel. But is there most of the time at any speed. Have new tires, balance 4-5 times, rotors balanced, replace front drive shaft, replaced rear drive shaft, new motor mounts, new trans mounts, complete rebuild of rear axle, new shocks, and new transfer case. All work done a dealer, and still have vibration? Any help would be appreciated. Don't want to sell this problem to someone else. Been chasing the problem for almost 2 years now. Help!! Thanks...
    Sued Chrysler under the Lemon Law and won a settlement..
  • egroegynotegroegynot Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 1500 has the same vibration many of you described here. Misery loves company and it looks like we've got a lot of company on this one. I'm real curious how folks went about the lemon law cases. Clearly it's a manufacturer's defect. I guess Toyota isn't the only one guilty of hiding problems from their customers. I hope anyone who gets the problem resolved will repost to this site. Thanks.
  • maximus2k2maximus2k2 Member Posts: 1
    I have exactly the same problem and it only happens when the truck has been running for at least 30 mins. I noticed that in the winter it doesn't happen often i guess due to the cold weather. I feel it when accelerating and turning a curve in the same time. Anyone had fixed this problem???
    My truck is back at the dealer...they have now replaced the rear bearings, torque converter, shocks, drive shaft, numerous front end parts, rotated the tires and the truck still vibrates at between 90-100KMs or 55-60mph. The longer you drive it the worst it gets and it is more noticeable in wet weather. They are working directly with Chrysler Canada technical team...I have statrted the paperwork to sue Chrysler and will start that process shortly should they have it much longer I got this truck on March 8th and the dealer has had it over 15 days for repair work.
    I sued and won big bucks from Chrysler (Lemon Law). I can see why they went Bankrupt. I went through the same thing. Changed everything but the kitchen sink. No improvement. I feel bad for the dealer and their technicians. They worked very hard to please, but were not getting support from Chrysler to fix it.They cannot fix the vibration according to what I have read online. After chasing this concern for over 2 years, I found the problem is involved with the frame. It was redesigned and not done right.. So I sued, won, traded my truck in at the dealer I bought it from so as not to get sued myself, bought a new Ford F-150. Couldn't be happier! It is super quiet, smooth (NO VIBERATION), and no more wind noise! Went from 13 MPH to 24 Mph.. Ford, Drive one, YOU'LL BE PLEASENTLY SURPRIZED!! Good luck.
    I have just got my 2007 Dodge Ram back from the dealer. They have had it 6 days and dedicated 3 technicians to the problem working with Chrysler Canada/US the truck has about 27,000miles on it 4 door Hemi. Today the dealer replaced the following which I must admit has cured the severe uncomfortable rear vibration to about a 98% improvement...I feel the slight vibration left is in the tires which are 20". They replaced the following rear end parts today.

52103717A Isolator
    5010321AF Gear Kit
    5017438AA Bearing
    68056356AA Seal
    5072506AA BRG Kit
    5072498AA BRG Kit
    5013477AB Sealant
    03400850 Diff Side Bearing
    axle replace & side gears
    0300102 Ring Gear & Pinion...original damaged upon inspection backlash noted

Prior to the repair today Chrysler replaced the drive shaft, rear shocks, torque converter, rear wheel bearings, rotated tires, replaced front tie rods...did software updates...none of these prior repairs had any effect.
    In follow up to this I have now driven the truck about 300 miles or 500kms without any sign of the returning rear vibration which used to happen between 90KM-100KM or 55-60mph. The truck is a 4X4 SLT hemi. The dealer noted the main problem with the read end tolerance not meeting required factory specs on the ring gear and pinion creating severe backlash with the gearing and damaging it significantly.

Make sure you have your dealer or techinician check the rear end and factory specs at time of servcing.
    Is this only on 4X4's?
    It should not matter if it is 4X4 or not as the rear end will be the same on two wheel drive. The dealer disconnected the rear drive shaft and drove the truck as front wheel drive when determining or isolating the rear end vibration problem.

Regards,
  • casper49casper49 Member Posts: 4
    Here is what I think I found.....based on what I posted>>>> I did another brake job this past sun, turneds rotrs, upgraded to better pads and up to this point I still put up with that pulsating, and shaking, vibration, but this time I wanted to make sure I lubed extra parts the brakes were in contact with..so I greased the part were pads slides back n forth the pads itself has a U shape fork on both ends on them.. I lubed them.. and what they slide on. the calibers. and (i also went to the next step upgrade in pads, but Im not so sure the pads were the solution. after lubing those parts the pads slide on.. and now... bam!! no vibration nor pulsating, I was thinking if anyone knows what Im saying that the pads that has those u shape that slides onto the calibers, might want to try lubing them I fell that they tend to shutter, when the pad are applied and shutter leads to a vibration, ..this is my best guest, it couldnt been that easy. :)

Hi all, I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 QC Auto, 5.9,360 w/77k miles. When I'm driving between 40mph and 50mph and then apply the brakes it does a weird Vibration/seen in the side view mirror the truck bed bouncing and even in the cab also can feel it in the pedal. but really noticable on a down hill. I'm not sure if its coming from underneath the truck. vibration/bounce does peak at 40 and goes away at lower speeds and if its still there its not noticable. I did have a "tread" seperation blowout but tire was still inflated on my right rear, and it seems like every since its been doing this , Now I thought it was my brakes so I replace them not once but twice.. 1st time 07/17/06 new rotors and pads then on 04/30/07 to find myself feeling this pulsation/vibration or bouncing again so I replace again turned the rotors and replce the pads, NOw its 10/28/07 and still feel it so I replace the back brakes turned drums to notice they seem appear to be in very good wear after 4 yrs or so..but still feel this after replacing them. What other problem could this be causing this. is it steming from I was think maybe shocks, drive shaft, Would and alignment be in order??? Experiences? If i take it in I'm almost sure they'll just give me the typical "We didn't seem to find anything wrong". or " We looked underneath, and everything seems to look fine and have to give them 100.00 for looking.
    It sounds like your U Joints and or drive shaft...tires would be another possible...I have heard of someone having several dried mud clumps inside a tire which created vibration when braking and driving ....Select model years did have drive shaft problems...but because you notice vibration when braking versus driving at set speeds and you have done brakes complete ...I would start with U Joints however this is usually tied to higher milage. My vibration experince is noted with my 2007 Ram 1500 as the rear end was damaged which has since been corrected...

**Make sure the techinician and yourself go for a test drive so the problem your experince is duplicated.
  • kschlormankschlorman Member Posts: 1
    i have 99 dodge ram 5.9l 4x4 and when i start to hit 60mph i feel a vibration coming from under truck and it gets stronger faster i go. but my stering wheel doesnt vibrate and then i can hear a loud noise when i hit about 75 ...i just put brand new u-joints in and transfer case and rebuilt rear end..i read that could be the driveshaft out of balance or maybe front wheel bearing.............any ideas i even took off front shaft to see if vibration was still there n it was i dont know what this could be....thanks for the help