Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Rogue Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• use2luvrogueuse2luvrogue Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I leased a 2010 Rogue in February 2010. It is the 360 AWD version.
    All seemed well until a month ago when I got up to 22,000 miles. This is when I noticed a whistling sound when on the highway and the accelerator is depressed. It seems to happen around 65mph. Of course the dealership claimed they couldn't duplicate my concern. I am making another appointment and will ride with them this time to point out noise. Has anyone else experienced this time? I was thinking of buying out the lease, but not sure now.
  • tzwu1034tzwu1034 Member Posts: 2
    Beware of a metallic thump when reversing with wheel turned or going forward. If it feels like your AWD is slipping or grinding it may very well be! I had these issues at just over 500 miles and took it into the dealer. The rear differential is shot and the car isn't road safe, so take it into the dealer immediately! According to the dealer, this is a manufacturer's defect and they are replacing the $2,000 part for free under warranty of course.

The mechanic explained that bolts were stripped on the inside of th differential and the thumping noise I heard was the entire diff moving around...once again, if you have any doubts get it checked out by Nissan. Oh, and it will take nearly a week to get your car back so make them get you a rental.

I will keep up to date if anything further is found...
  • use2luvrogueuse2luvrogue Member Posts: 2
    Update to my previous post. The vehicle need a new transmission after only 23,000 miles!!! I am done with Nissan and their CVTs.
  • policewife2011policewife2011 Member Posts: 2
    how did u file lemon law stuff..
    my husband and i are considering it as we have a baby on the way and cant afford nor do we want a car wiht so many problems.
    also how long did it take?
  • policewife2011policewife2011 Member Posts: 2
    we have had this car for five months and it had 43k miles on it over the course of 5 months it now has just folled over to 50k.
    my friend and i were in town last saturday i thought something was wrong but she told me i was crazy,but as we got into town where the stoplights where my car would not accelarate the cars in front of me would continusly be a good 100 feet ahead of me before my car even registered i was pressing the gas.
    i thought it was the oil since i was overdue but i took it to the grease pig in fay,ar and they said that everything was fine and my oil wasnt bad at all, so needless to say i left wihtout getting it changed.
    we then proceeded to go to th place we bought it and they told us it wasnt there problem that we needed to go to nissan. we went and they also didnt do anything as it ran fine for them and also fine untill i got home.
    blah blah it did it again once.
    but yesterday i got into my car to go to the store and i thought my car was going to blow up.
    the rpms would staty at 3 even though it was floored it sounded like i had it in neutral, as i turned it sounded like i had drums in the back of my car.( being 81/2 months pregnant makes me a little paranoid) my da is a mercades mechanic and told my husband and i it wasnt drivable so this morning we had it towed to the dealer can someone please tell me what is going on?????
  • jc2010jc2010 Member Posts: 31
    policewife. I'm in the same boat as you...baby on the way and can't afford putting ourselves at risk. This is awful. You have to look up your state's lemon law. You can do this online. For example, NY....sucks. The issue must be attempted to be repaired 4 times within a 2 year period or 18,000 miles. Because this happens to us on long trips we will miss the cut off for it to be a lemon. Were at almost 14K miles already and it will be 2 yrs old in March. Find my post under CVT recall...I put some info in there regarding who I've contacted thus far to complain, etc. I'm also in touch with Nissan corporate trying to work something out. I do not feel safe in this car. I do not want to be crossing the GWB or going through one of the hudson tunnel crossings with a baby in my car and getting stuck....no where to go. It's insane. Let me know if anything and GL with the car and the baby!
  • laurie1155laurie1155 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem as you are having! I bought my rouge 2008 in feb of 2009 and I heard niosecs like you are hearing since March 2009 I took it into dealer 3 times and had to scream at them that something needed to be fixed and that I knew it was the transmission because I had read on here about ewvertyones problems so in Oct of 2010 with only 15,000 miles on it they finailly replaced my transmission, but 3 days later I started hearing that same "rattleing" niose so I took it back to Nissian dealer and they refused to hear the niose and told me to just keep driving it... To make a long story short, I couldn't take it anymore and got so frustrated that I traded it in on Jan. 31st,2011 with only 18,000 miles on it for a 2011 Ford Escape Limited !!! I have had my new ford for over 6 months now and am sooo happy it's twice the car the rouge was....
    Nissian sucks!!!
  • gjk916gjk916 Member Posts: 3
    Just had my rogue at the dealer today for the same complaint service manager states that the noise is coming from the holes in the roof rack were the optional crossbars would mount. He said his guys checked the alignment of the glass and it was okay. He then stated they put electrical tape over the mounting holes and the noise went away. He took me out to show me the holes, and they had already removed the tape. I'm a little skeptical to say the least, especially since I noticed a little water leakage at the car wash. I will try the electrical tape trick myself, if this doesn’t work for me than it's off to a new dealer.
  • lori37lori37 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought this car recently, and I've read the manual and watched the DVD on the automatic a/c. The middle dial which controls the temperature does not "blink" twice to indicate that the a/c has kicked into auto mode. I can get a recirulation light and the outside air light, but when you press the dial about "1.5 seconds", I don't get any blinking, as demonstrated on the DVD. It's not a big deal - but it's a brand new car and I'd like it to work properly... I've made an appt w/the dealer to bring it in...Any ideas what this could be? Maybe a fuse? I wonder how complicated this will be to correct..it's such a small issue...I have nightmares that they'll take the whole dash apart! Thanks for your imput.
  • forthillforthill Member Posts: 34
    Need to replace the rear pads on my 2009 'S'. Anyone know if the OEM pads are ceramic or semi-metallic? I know the DX pads are premium pads and will they provide better stopping power than the ceramics?

Thanks,
    Walt
  • tzwu1034tzwu1034 Member Posts: 2
    Update:

The new differential lasted all of 1,500 miles. The car is now at 5,000 miles and is going into the shop for the second replacement differential (this makes 3 in the car now in the first 5,000 miles). I'm not sure if I feel safe in this car any longer because of the possibility of the wheels locking up due to differential issues. Do I have any options?

Original Message:
    Beware of a metallic thump when reversing with wheel turned or going forward. If it feels like your AWD is slipping or grinding it may very well be! I had these issues at just over 500 miles and took it into the dealer. The rear differential is shot and the car isn't road safe, so take it into the dealer immediately! According to the dealer, this is a manufacturer's defect and they are replacing the $2,000 part for free under warranty of course.

The mechanic explained that bolts were stripped on the inside of the differential and the thumping noise I heard was the entire diff moving around...once again, if you have any doubts get it checked out by Nissan. Oh, and it will take nearly a week to get your car back so make them get you a rental.

I will keep up to date if anything further is found...
  • 67breaker67breaker Member Posts: 3
    noticed my wife's new rogue will not hill hold in Drive (rolls backward), never seen this in any automatic and my new altima and two previous muranos (CVT's) held on hills. Anyone having this same experience? Thanks
  • lb24lb24 Member Posts: 2
    I've had my Rogue for 2 weeks now and it only has 500 miles on it. While I was driving yesterday the car started thrusting back and forth and was making sounds as if the car was running out of gas, except I had a full tank so I knew that wasn't the case. A few minutes later the check engine light came on and the thrusting got worse. Of course this happened Saturday night and the dealership is closed on Sundays so I have not spoken with anyone yet about the situation. I will have it towed to the dealer tomorrow and will update on the problem later. Has this happened to anyone else?
  • lb24lb24 Member Posts: 2
    it ended up being a bad ground cable... it was fixed quickly!
  • dantoy414dantoy414 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2011 Rogue in December 2010 and just noticed this when I drove to NY in September. I brought the car in for service and they said that the newer Nissan's transmissions are not meant to hold on hills. I feel like I'm driving a stick shift and am looking behind me to see how close the car is to me.
  • roszubroszub Member Posts: 1
    I had purchased a new Rogue last week. I was very unhappy with my experience at the dealership and I have complained. I feel I was scammed and I took the bait hook line and sinker!! It doesn't help that my front head light went out and now I'm told its the assembly not the bulb and my car is the first one they have had with this problem!!! I hope my misgivings will not continue. The dealership is telling me they want to make me happy but all I hear is" we want to make you happy". How do they plan on making me happy?
  • svillafanesvillafane Member Posts: 2
    Has the problem been fixed? And how? I'm having the same problem and they can not seem to find the problem.
  • svillafanesvillafane Member Posts: 2
    I have a question. I have 2010 Rogue and noticed that on my window/door lock control that the door lock and window lock do not light up. The images are there but they do not light up I have been in several cars and they did in those. I have the right accessory package but I'm being told that is not the case. Can anyone tell me if they have the same issue.
  • engfantengfant Member Posts: 1
    I also have a leak in the back but it's in the spare tire compartment. Don't notice any water leaking in from anywhere. Strangely there are 3 drain plugs under the tire. I wonder why.
  • hybiscushybiscus Member Posts: 4
    Had a flat rear tire, drove to the auto shop with the spare, got 2 new rear tires, then its making noise when I drive, a mechanic checked it out and said its the differential and $2300.00 to repair. He also mentioned the car is still new and it shouldn't have had this kind of damage. Taking it to the dealer and hopefully its covered by warranty. Any comments or suggestions, please.
  • sestradaflsestradafl Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 2011 Nissan Rogue SV in September. Since the first weekend I owned the car I had issues with the radio, experiencing popping noises, and then having the navigation/radio panel shut itself off. The dealership replaced the radio about three weeks ago, but now I'm experiencing the same thing again. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm wondering if others have had some sort of resolution.
  • mamismemamisme Member Posts: 1
    The same thing has happened to me! the first time I took it in the man at the dealership said they've been having many issues with the speakers. However, when I went back and dealt with another employee they made no mention of this and even tried to tell me my speakers were fine. However, my persistence paid off and they replaced the speaker- only it was the wrong one. I'm still experiencing popping noises, not just from the original speaker but now from both sides. I plan on taking mine in tomorrow and perhaps get this resolved. Did you have any luck?
  • rougemoglirougemogli Member Posts: 1
    We bought this car 2 months ago has approx 1900 miles. we noticed a slight noise during the first month . It seemed to originate near the gear shift lever and would pop up randomely when the vehicle was in motion . A couple of days ago the engine stalled in heavy traffic. We took it to the dealer who sold us this car. Luckily the noise could be reproduced during the testdrive with the service rep. He thinks it is a transmission issue and siad that he needs to talk to Nissan Tech line. We have to waittill tuesday as the tech line is closed for the holidays. He mentioned that the noise is even worse when they tried to replicate it and also mentioned that the cars computers registered the stall but there was no reason given by the onboard computer as to why the engine stalled. We were provided with a loaner car.
  • ysabysab Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have a rogue 2011 sv fwd. it's been a year since i owned it. And here is my story, whenever i turned the engine off after using it for short or long drives, there is a minimal clunking metallic noise i hear everyday which lasts around 5 minutes to the max. It is just minimal and coming mostly from all tires or underneath the rogue. To thes describe it better, they're like coins being rubbed against each other.

I just wonder if this is normal or anyone is experiencing the same?

Thanks much.
  • roguemanrogueman Member Posts: 4
    I know what you mean. I purchased a 2011 Nissan Rogue SL in March 2011 new and in Oct of the same year I started hearing a wind noise which gets louder as you speed up. If I close the sun roof cover it is less, but for paying 28000.00 for this car, this is not exceptable. I am taking it to the dealership to see what they can do. I will update on what I find out. :(
  • kristluckristluc Member Posts: 5
    why my 2011 rogue sl awd has a mpg very poor in the city about 13-14. I driven already 7000 miles , hwy mpg is good . the dealer told me it's ok, not for me i can't accept a mpg very low . Anybody know anything
  • rogue_2011rogue_2011 Member Posts: 11
    Driving habbit and weather can affect the mpg. Try to replace a K&N air filter, it is worth.
  • nissmazlovernissmazlover Member Posts: 162
    Hey, I've been wanting to update you all on the sunroof whistling issue. Meant to get back to y'all a LONG time ago, but just haven't had the chance and kept forgetting. My bad! Anyway...I took our Rogue to Nissan MONTHS ago and told them about the whistling noise coming from the sunroof. They test-drove the car and heard the noise themselves. They called to let me know that sunroof was misshaped and that was what was causing the noise. They ordered a new sunroof, which they installed in the car, and the noise has totally gone away! Since then, the car has been nice and quiet, as it should be (road noise when raining, notwithstanding). I do believe there is a TSB out there for it. So, if you're experiencing the same thing, then Nissan should get it fixed for you.

Ever since, we have been enjoying our "Black Betty" thoroughly. I really enjoy the Rogue. It's been comfortable, very reliable (no problems other than the whistling wind noise issue, which has been fixed), and now, after it having been broken-in (close to 8K miles, now), I find it fun to drive, as well. I've even grown to love the steering: it's not as direct and fun to drive as my last Mazda, but it's close. The Rogue, though, is definitely faster and still handles well.

I was looking forward to testing out the Rogue more in the snow, but we haven't had a real winter here in NYC. We had two days of snow all in all and my experience in the Rogue in the snow was fantastic. Was wishing I had more snow days, but hey, I'll keep wishing.
  • nissmazlovernissmazlover Member Posts: 162
    Not that I know anything about why this is happening, but I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone. I have an '11 AWD, too, and the city mileage is atrocious. If my mileage is purely city, computer displays an average of about 15 to, stretching it, 17. On the highway, though, it does great: I've gotten up to a 30 average, but more like 28/29.
  • pcrogue2012pcrogue2012 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone else has had an alternator problem. I purchased my 2012 Rogue in November. A 1,500 miles in traffic I smelt a bad burning smell and saw some smoke, I called my salesman and said to drive straight to the dealer. It ended up needing a new alternator! Since they replaced it, I notice my car vibrates now. My husband filed my tank up completely, we drove about 130 miles and the gauge never moved. The next day, after driving about 5 miles, it finally moved to half a tank! Sounds like the 2012's are having the same problem as the 2011 gas gauge issues. I also experience the loud noises but I do not have a sunroof. It gets really loud the faster I go and when it rains, it sounds like it is raining in my car! Any suggestions are greatly recommended. Thanks :)
  • kristluckristluc Member Posts: 5
    hi nissmazlover you mentioned to change k&n air filter what is it (k&n) thank
    Yes, I am now having the same problem with my new 2011 SL Rogue. I have talked to them and they told me the sunroof gets out of line. I am setting up an appt to have them fix it. I love this car, but can not tolerate wind noise like this.... I have also noticed the blue tooth does not listen very well. Everytime I say someones name and use "cell" behind the name it cancels the request... I guess it does not do well with southern accents.. LOL.... And I notice it is worse when you first get in the car and it is cold outside. Works better once the car gets warm inside. anyone else have this problem? :sick:
    I have had this problem a few times and finally figured out that the key insert was in the wrong position. Next time it happens check where the key insert is and make sure you have it in off position.. this should help. It took me forever to figure it out.. Hope this helps you..
  • rogue_2011rogue_2011 Member Posts: 11
    K&N is a brand name. This company makes air and oil filter for most of the cars. K&N's air filter last for many years, you only need to clean and re-oil the filter once every 2-3 years. A normal air filter is made by paper so it cannot be re-used. Shop around, many local and online stores carry K&N's. Visit here for more info - http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=33-2409
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    K&N makes no general fuel economy claims about their air filters. I run cheap Frams in my Nissan minivan and just toss the filter when it's time - no messing around with oiling it or worrying about messing up any sensors from the oil.

I get better than EPA mileage. I tossed a seat I don't use, don't drive like a demon, keep the psi checked on the tires, don't haul extra gear in the car, don't race up to stop signs, don't idle and I track every tank of gas as a way to generally tell how the systems are running.

My van started getting better mpg around 5,000 miles, but didn't really hit its stride until ~10,000 miles and kept inching up incrementally from then on.

What Really Saves Gas? And How Much?

Save Gas with Smart Driving and Slick Aerodynamics

One other thing you can do is use "pure gas". It costs more but the increased mpg that people typically get may offset the extra price at the pump.
  • jordyncalejordyncale Member Posts: 2
    I just passed 1000 miles on my 2012 SL-SV AWD Rogue. I know, she's just a new baby. This is actually my second Rogue, I traded in a 2009 SL AWD to get her. (I was wickedly upside down when I bought the 2009...I didn't really NEED a new car, but I cut my monthly payment in half by upgrading). Anyway, no problems yet. MPG is averaging about 19.5. I primarily drive city, my commute is literally 5 minutes. (I'd walk if I didn't have to take my son to school, which is a little further down the road). That's pretty similar to what I had with the 2009. I never had any issues with the 2009, it had 45000 miles on it when I traded it in (was almost 3 years old to the day). Well, I did have the constant tire pressure light issue, where the light would come on even if the tire pressure was fine.

I obviously love the Rogue enough to have gotten a second one. When I was looking I test drove a Sportage, Rav4, Tuscon, Soul, CX-7, and CRV. Came right back to the Rogue, which honestly shocked me.

My only gripe is the lack of a pull-down cup holder in the back seat (like the Murano), and the GPS. My parents have a 2009 Murano and we always called the GPS Witch Hazel. The 2012 GPS is not any better. The routing it takes you on is absolutely insane at times. I'm keeping my Garmin for backup if I'm going somewhere unfamiliar.
  • crochetgirlcrochetgirl Member Posts: 1
    I have taken my car to two different dealership to get this problem corrected. The first dealership told me that it was the aerodynamics of the car caused this but claimed that none of the servicemen heard the wind noise. I took it to the second dealership and they replaced the seals around the front door. If someone has had this problem fixed, please let me know what the dealership did to resolve the problem.
    Dear Mamisme:

I have not been able to get a resolution on this issue, but it is a known defect. Nissan sent an engineer out to inspect my car in January, and they have now had the opportunity to correct the issue five times.

I experience the popping noise, and my navigation reboots itself. The console has actually shut down entirely at some points. Nissan has tried to work with me by offering me free services for my patience. As I stated initially, this problem has been ongoing since I was driving the car home from the dealership that first day. I find the popping noise, and the rebooting to be a substantial impairment to the use and the value of my automobile. I'm really considering pursuing a lemon law claim, and have a call into that same Nissan engineer to see what my options are.

You need to follow-up with this. Nissan knows it is an issue, and they are willing to attempt to accommodate you. I'm looking for the fully functioning car that I spent my good money on - which as of this date I have not been able to realize or enjoy unencumbered by this issue.

Also - I'm curious what state you are in because Nissan states that this issue is specific to Florida.

Thanks,

Stephanie
    I finally took my 2011 rogue in and they had to reallign it. it is fine now, but waiting to see if it happens again. They had to replace the front rotors on the brakes while it was in the shop due to a vibration I had when braking. Man wish I did not buy this car. :mad:
  • suziie26suziie26 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 SL rogue. Has anyone had problems with their vent control valve?

My service engine light came on, took it in. They told me it was the vent control valve. I have yet to get it replaced, mostly because I'm sure I can find a mechanic cheaper than the dealership.
  • pbergnpbergn Member Posts: 4
    It is the air-conditioning vents -- not the door insulation or the sunroof. Mine – I have a Rogue SV SLP 2011 -- was doing that with AC on and with the fan at higher RPM's, as well as when driving on a freeway at higher speeds when there was high frontal air intake, especially noticeable on windy days. I took it to the dealer and they found there was nothing wrong with the AC per se, and recommended me to re-adjust the vent fins (flaps) to wider angled positions. I wound up doing just that, and the whistling noise went away... I still can hear the noise come back when I keep the flaps ajar -- they need to be either fully opened or closed, or carefully positioned at a certain, wider angles. Hope this helps...
  • angienpangienp Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same car and have just been told the differential needs replaced at a cost of $3000.00 installed. Not covered under warranty. This vehicle has been a lemon since day one.
  • roguelemonownrroguelemonownr Member Posts: 19
    I'm curious, how many miles are on the vehicle? I would think the differential is part of the drive-train.
  • hybiscushybiscus Member Posts: 4
    Nissan dealer did take care of the differential problem, no charge, thank goodness! Mileage was 43,000 when we purchased from the dealer.
    Update - In March of this year I was able to have my radio replaced - Nissan stated that this was a manufacturer defect in the radio. I have not experienced the same issues with the radio, but now have a popping noise when the radio first initiates. I have a meeting tomorrow with a Nissan representative who is meeting with me at the local dealership. I'll have to see what he says about it tomorrow, and report back. All in all, I regret making this purchase, and wish that I had bought something else. I will obviously stay the course with this car, but will take more time test driving and researching the next car when that time comes. This situation has been an absolute nightmare. But/for the people at Nissan's corporate office, I would have been done with this car long ago. Nissan Consumer Affairs has been an absolute pleasure to deal with, very responsive, and they really attempt to make it right for the customer. This is just a case of a bad apple off of the line.
  • driver735driver735 Member Posts: 14
    The nissan rogue i purchased 3 months ago has grumbling noises and vibrations coming from the rogue cvt transmission. I brought it back several times to garden city nissan several times.the explanation each time was that they could find nothing wrong. Finally on my last visit i was told that these issues were normal for the rogue. The cvt transmission does not run as smoothly as a regular automatic transmission. This makes for a terrible driving experience. If i trade this car in now i would take a huge financial loss. I do not know how any one could be comfortable driving this car. Please people do not make the same mistake, find something better.
  • 2002_accord2002_accord Member Posts: 9
    5 years ago, I drove a 1998 Ford Contour and it stalled (no gas), I was stopped at a red light. Blinkers on. Car behind didn't move, 30 sec later honking start, the dude get off his car approaches me to argue, REALLY. Told I ain't going anywhere w/o gas. He didn't offer to help but left. I later notice my hazard light was blinking red which is less visible then orange.

Similar thing happened with my Rogue. I signal ahead to switch from left turning lane to regular lane. The other car was 300 ft back when I switched lanes. As I was turning (Rogue hesitated a little - next post) the b*tch behind honked continuosly, cut in front me and kept staring at me from her rearview mirror. I later on checked my turn signal and darn it blink RED !!! Also on other occasion when I signal car behind don't slow down, they do when I drive my '02 Accord.

Comments ??
  • 2002_accord2002_accord Member Posts: 9
    I noticed about a 1 sec hesitation from a dead stop which partly explain the incident in Post #202.
    I am driving the car easy since it is still new so it could just be me but I highly doubt it as others also reported CVT trans being stuck sometimes.

There is a O/D button besides the Sports button. I will try those next time.
  • kathyd226kathyd226 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2011 krom and am experiencing a "rotten egg" type smell when I accelerate rapidly. Has anyone else had this problem? I have an appt next week and want to be prepared! It has 65,000 miles on it. Thanks!!
  • page0908page0908 Member Posts: 1
    I got a quote today for $425 to change the transmission fluid in my 2008 Nissan Rogue. I think that is ridiculous!