Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord VCM

Comments

• ljgbjgljgbjg Member Posts: 374
    Well, its being so noticeable is what was so maddening, annoying, and objectionable to me! That seems to be the issue with most here who have had "problems" - the problems have been that there was a "shudder" or the "hybridlike torque on/torque off" feel as described in the other articles, and the system was so noticeable. Like I said - don't know what happened to mine - just seems like all of a sudden these annoying sensations disappeared (THANK GOODNESS!), and I can conclude nothing other than what my wife suggested - that it finally "got broken in". That would account for the differences among the cars and other experiences of those whose cars did not evidence the VCM - their active engine mounts were "more loose" or working better than others from the "get go" whereas mine had to take awhile to really start functioning as designed. As for the Edmunds long term test? Somehow, and I cannot remember how, I stumbled on updates - up to the 9,000 mile point and there were no comments one way or another about the VCM. There WERE some negative comments about the lumbar support and the same type of discomfort some people have complained about on the "sedan and coupe" board.
    http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/category/cat.2008HondaAccordEX-LV6

Here are their comments about VCM -

"We'll see how effective it is as the miles pile on, but I observed the ECO light coming on quite a bit during routine driving. The switchover to and from ECO mode isn't quite imperceptible. It's certainly more noticeable than the last VCM-equipped Odyssey we tested. On balance, the Accord's transitions are about as seamless as those observed in our cylinder deactivation-havin' long-term Tahoe."

Their fuel economy with the VCM? At 7,074 miles -

"Best tank: 26.3 mpg
    Worst tank: 16.1 mpg
    Average mpg: 21.4 mpg

Our 2008 Accord’s EPA estimates are 19 mpg city, 29 mpg highway and 22 mpg combined."
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    VCM operation doesn't seem to be a big deal to the testers. Maybe none of them are very perceptive, or in-tune with their cars. :confuse: They all seem to like the car very much. One tester said he liked the V6 VCM Accord more than his previous favorite, the Altima V6.
  • rscharscha Member Posts: 12
    So for anyone who would like to read this article here it is, it is a very negative article overall and not one that I would respect personally. Clearly the author is a GM fan and not a Honda fan, he however bashes both cars so I would suspect he would not be happy with any car he drove.
    http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB120111703171810629-search.html?KEYWORDS=2- 008+malibu&COLLECTION=wsjie/6month.html
    Personally I own the 2008 with VCM and I am very happy and not experiencing any vibration at all.
    The guy obviously doesn't like Hondas. He subtracts points from the Accord because it's larger (don't some people want larger?). While the Accord is larger and has more interior room, he complains that it only gets 1 more mpg than the Malibu. I don't know how he can see this as a negative for the Accord. :confuse: He also says that the very odd color combinations make up for the inferior material quality in the Malibu. Not much of what he says makes sense.
  • cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    What a harsh article. The guy not only trashes the Accord, but he decides to conveniently skewer the Honda Element ('ugly") and the Honda Ridgeline ("poor selling") to wrap up his criticism of Honda.

For the finishing touch, he ends his article by criticizing the "hybrid Accord Coupe."

Unfortunately for him, Honda never sold a hybrid Accord Coupe.
    No need to take the review personally - the Edmunds reviewers commented about VCM too. I hardly think the guy has an axe to grind about Honda - in fact I read his comments as being somewhat of a surprise to him that the Malibu was as good as it was and the Honda straying from its history. "After all, who has any expectation that GM could or would actually design and build a car that's as enjoyable to drive as a Honda?" His complaint about the Honda getting only 1 more MPG than the Malibu had to do with the technology, intended to increase mileage yet being so "maddeningly" noticeable, and then to boot, only ended up with 1 more MPG than the Malibu, with none ot the technology. Seems he thought it should have done more. Ehh.. whatever.
  • sunnfunsunnfun Member Posts: 168
    Email just went out this morning. I have been pretty busy so I didn't get to the email until this weekend. We'll see how it goes. I sent it to the top 4 guys on the American Honda side and the CEO in Japan. My schedule is tight the next few weeks so if they want to see the car, I'm not sure when we'll be able to do it.

On another note, I got a 2nd survey form about my case manager. Also got an 8 page survey about my car. First time I have received one of these. Any one else get one? I can't wait to fill this one out!!!
  • golfrskigolfrski Member Posts: 262
    Can you provide their info for us? i would like to do the same asap
    I did some research on the internet last night and looks like these gentleman own Quality Control at Honda in Ohio. I may send them a letter,call etc... the case managers and dealer folks are of no help. Anyone ever heard of them?

hope this help you & me...

http://www.ohio.honda.com/News/PR/viewRelease.cfm?articleid=33

MARYSVILLE, OHIO - Honda of America Mfg. appointed new plant managers for its two auto plants among other promotions and changes in responsibility.

Tom Shoupe is plant manager of the Marysville Auto Plant and has been named a vice president at Honda of America Mfg.

Dan Smith is the new plant manager of the East Liberty Auto Plant.

Tom Mitchell now heads the company's Auto Quality business team and was promoted to assistant vice president.
    In addition, Gen Tsujii was promoted to vice president at the Marysville Auto Plant and Masanori Kitazawa was promoted to vice president at the East Liberty Auto Plant.

Prior to his new assignment, Shoupe had been plant manager of the East Liberty plant since 1998, during a period of major renovation to implement a new manufacturing system and prepare for the 2001 Civic major model change. He joined Honda in 1988, holding positions in corporate planning, government and community relations and production control. Shoupe was senior manager of the North American Task Group in 1993, when he and his family joined approximately 100 other HAM associates and their families for assignments in Japan primarily in new model development.

One of the most integrated automotive manufacturing plants in North America, the Marysville plant produces the Accord Sedan and is the exclusive production site for the Accord Coupe. The Acura TL Sedan and Acura CL Coupe models, including the 260 horsepower CL Type S, also are produced only at the plant from domestic and globally sourced parts. The plant and its 5,850 associates have the capacity to build more than 440,000 automobiles annually.

Previously the leader of Honda's Americas Quality Group and Honda of America Mfg.'s Chief Inspecting Engineer, Smith helped lead the quality aspect of eight new model launches, including models produced exclusively at Honda of America Mfg., such as the Accord Coupe and Station Wagon, and Civic Coupe. Smith joined the company in 1985.The East Liberty Auto Plant launched the all-new 7th generation Civic in September as part of a simultaneous launch at Civic plants around the world. In addition to the Civic Sedan, the East Liberty plant is the exclusive manufacturing site for the Civic Coupe, including the Civic GX natural gas vehicle. Using domestic and globally sourced parts, the East Liberty plant has 2,700 associates and the capacity to manufacture more than 230,000 automobiles per year.

As leader for the Auto Quality business team, Mitchell has assumed Smith's responsibilities to oversee product quality for Honda of America Mfg. The team supports similar activities at the new Honda Manufacturing of Alabama plant that begins production late next year, and Honda's auto plants in Canada, Mexico and the United Kingdom. Mitchell joined the company in 1982.

Headquartered in Marysville, Ohio, Honda of America Mfg. operates four plants in Ohio employing 13,000 associates. In addition to the two auto plants, its Anna Engine Plant produces more than 1 million auto engines per year. The Marysville Motorcycle Plant produces the Gold Wing among other motorcycles, and all-terrain vehicles.
  • jam1000jam1000 Member Posts: 182
    If you have email addresses for these people and it is permissible under the Forum rules to share them, do you mind doing so? Honda seems pretty secretive about this stuff, and when I sent my letter to the attention of American Honda's CEO, it got answered by the same case manager who had initially blown me off.

I did get a short survey about my case manager, and enjoyed filling it out -- what goes around comes around. I did get a longer survey about satisfaction with the car shortly after I bought it (initial quality survey, I guess), but none since contacting Honda about this matter.
  • sunnfunsunnfun Member Posts: 168
    Let's see what happens with my email first. It may end up being a waste of time. I can tell you that if you spend the time, you can find them out on the net. You just have to put several pieces of info together to get them. You can start here first.

http://www.world.honda.com/profile/directors/
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    None of us should post any email addresses that are not publicly and easily available. Appreciate your consideration in posting the link. That should be very helpful to others here. :)
  • kay14kay14 Member Posts: 19
    The 4 scares me because of the transmission issues of the past (honda didnt fix them, they extended the warranties - i believe due to class action suits).

The 4-cylinder has never had transmission issues that I know of, unlike the V6. They DID fix them, by adding a transmission cooling line, I believe.

Seems like whoever gave you information was misinformed.

If the six worries you, and the four is sufficient, go for the four.

New to this site and will probably be a one time visit for me. We owned a 2000 accord 4 cylinder LX - had transmission troubles (replaced by honda without charge) and ran into more transmission problems. We agreed no more hondas. We saw the new hondas and thought they looked sharp. I had not visited this site before and dont even know what VCM is or that there was a problem. We drove a 6 cylinder and it was very clear to me that there was a problem. I understand the comments that say it felt like a pump going on and off or the a/c kicking in and out - constantly. I am disappointed to say the least, but I am not interested in paying close to $30k for a car that constantly surges on and off. And I know that in the past honda has extended warranties on their transmissions to 100k miles. We don't want an extended warranty on a new car. We would prefer buying something that ran right from the start. It seems this issue should have been resolved prior to going to market. It is a sad commentary on honda and my heart goes out to those with the problems and not getting it resolved.
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    I was reading the Warranty Manual that came with the 08 and they explicitly indicate that if you are not happy with the area manager's response and handling of your case the next step would be to go to BBB to resolve the issue. I am not sure if you (and/or others with VCM problem) were aware of this and whether you have considered that as an option.
  • rodiron620rodiron620 Member Posts: 53
    Be so thankful you noticed it when you did.. I will tell you that I am getting pressure from Honda to close my case. I am refusing to let them do it (at least with my agreement). I am sure I have no control over that, but I find it suspect that it was like pulling teeth to get anyone to call me back and all of a sudden they are hunting me down to close this out. Perhaps the #'s of unsatisfied owners are growing and they need to cycle me out of thier unsatisfied line-up?

BBB is a good idea as is a Lemon Law attny based on the rising number of complaints here I dont want to be last in line i dont think... alot to consider but scary none the less. Has onyone considered contacting the writers from the 3 articles that talk to the issues with the VCM to dig deeper? Would be interested to see if they would have the courage to do that.
    http://www.cars.com/go/crp/research.jsp?section=reviews&crpPage=reviews.jsp&make- id=18&modelid=212&year=2008&myid=&acode=&mode=&aff=national

Here is a link to 14 different "expert" reviews for the Accord from various newspapers. These would be in addition to the 3 already cited from Autoweek, USA Today, and Wall Street Journal.

All of the reviews are mostly positive about VCM. A couple of lukewarm comments. Interesting that one writer complained about the shift linkage in the 6spd manual coupe.

One article (LA Times) references a possible isolated programming glitch with the Accord's drive-by-wire throttle system. Perhaps that could be causing some of the unexplained surging or sensations? Maybe something to check out.
    Thanks for the link to the additional Honda reviews. I read every one and have to say two things:

1. Many multiple reviews by the same person, and seemingly incompetent. Some never evne drive the car, just review its equipment, specs, etc. Do these people ride horses instead of drive cars? Newspaper reporters and not car enthusiasts. The 6 speed coupe with VCM? Uh, no.
    2. Most commented about the V-6 AT being technologically advanced and "able to obtain 29 MPG" but then never drove one!! One accelerated to 45 and saw the ECO light come on - well, the ECO light does NOT come on during acceleration. Most test cars? 190HP I4s, or the 6 speed V6 coupe.

Like I have posted - I have seen the VCM operate from both sides. Mine was horrible for the first 2000 miles - all the problems everyone here has complained of and absolutely spot on with the reviewers from Autoweek and the Wall Street Journal - surging, the "hydridlike torque on/torque off feel", the "maddening" frequency of the VCM going in and out of 3,4 and 6 cylinder operation and being very noticeable. I was absolutely ready to sell- or push it off a cliff! :P

All of a sudden, on a recent 250 mile trip, with about 2000 miles on the car, the sensations disappeared!!! :confuse: :) Now I drive a VCM equipped car that is like those spoken of here by parviz, hank119, cstiles, viet and others. What happened?
    I wish I could tell all of you, especially those still experiencing problems - and believe me I DO feel your pain. I can only speculate that the active engine mounts were not functioning as intended and now are. Why? Maybe they had to be broken in? Maybe they were 'stiff" and immobile and have loosened up? I suspect they are the true culprits behind the negative sensations so many here have compained of. To those of you who have never experienced them - be thankful - because I can attest that they are very real and driving a new $30,000 car operating that way is annoyingly, "maddeningly" frustrating, made even more so when others are telling you that they don't understand because their cars are perfect and the VCM imperceptible. My advice to those still experiencing problems? If less than 2000 miles, give it a bit - you may have happen what I did. Prefer not to wait? I would think the dealer could put the car on a dynamometer and load up the engine just as if being driven and examine the operation of the engine mounts and VCM operation with the hood up, and actually observe the vibration of the engine in different modes of operation. Perhaps the engine mounts are defective altogether. I wish you the best in getting satisfactory resolution of your problems.

Now MPG is another story. Regardless of VCM, this 8th generation seems to be very thirsty - be it the 190HP I4 or the V6 - in either VCM or non-VCM configuration.
    Our 2005 V6 coupe with AT - 29-30 MPG on the highway - consistently. This VCM V6 sedan? 24.5 on the 250 mile trip over a rolling interstate in Upstate NY, at 75 MPH on cruise. This seems consistent with Edmunds' long term test car results.
    Instant MPG from a trip computer? Worthless information - I got another car I owned to show 101 MPG when coasting - pure fantasyland. Reality is when you refill the tank. Then calculate your mileage the old fashioned way - miles traveled/gallons used.. Happy motoring guys - and good luck to those of you whose VCM equipped engines continue to annoy. I have been there too, and I understand your frustration.
    Thanks. As I was skimming these articles for comments regarding VCM, I failed to see that a few of the articles were by the same writers.

Newspaper auto jounalists review a different car almost every week to make deadlines, so I agree that many of their articles are isolated to first impressions or how a car compares against their checklists of virtues and vices.

I happen to own a 6spd coupe, so I zeroed in on the comment about the shift linkage on the manual.

If you speculate that your engine mounts are primarily responsible for the quality of your VCM operation (versus throttle/driveline/transmission behavior, for example), then is it accurate to conclude that your issue was mostly about vibration and resonance? When I see "surging," I visualize a car changing speeds and throttling inconsistently. It doesn't sound like rodiron's, sunnfun's, etc. issues are due to just engine mounts based on their descriptions.

Nonetheless, glad to hear you are in a better place and that your Accord has transformed into the nicer ride you were originally expecting.
    Thanks - Like I said, I don't know what happened, but I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth! :)

My car had a slight "shudder" when going into and out of VCM - slight, though noticeable. And did it often, even when on cruise control. Hard to say what exactly the issue was but because the Active Engine Mounts are the only external mechanical feature involved (drive by wire throttle, and cylinder deactivation being internal and computer controlled) I have to suspect they were the culprit - designed to insulate the passengers from the sensation of anything going on in the engine compartment. Everything else was electronic. Who knows - just very happy it is history! Now I can join those "on the other side" and enjoy the power and efficience(relative) of the car.
  • fldonahuefldonahue Member Posts: 4
    I'm wondering if we (the posters here) really know what the ECO light signifies. I looked on the Honda website, searched, and found this comment for the 2008 Odyssey. "An " ECO " indicator light illuminates on the instrument panel when the vehicle is operating at an optimal level of fuel efficiency." There was no similar comment found about the 2008 Accord. There were comments / quotes about much earlier VCMs that indicate it had something to do with the 3 or 4 cylinder operation, but not on the 2008. I don't have my manual here with me (I will check it) but I've seen auto trade magazines that indicate the light merely meant that good economy was being reached - one said 25 mpg. So what's my point? Lots of posters say they notice "something" (surge, pause, hesitation, lurch, whatever) as the light goes on/off. I'm wondering if the light is tied to VCM at all - I'm not doubting you feel something, but is the light really indicating what some assume it does? I've posted about this extensively a month or so ago, right after purchasing my V6 2008. I still feel zero hesitation, whatever, except that connected to the transmission as it moves between gears. Yes, I am lucky, and yes, I'm darn glad it's not me having issues, because it would drive me nuts. I came close to not buying the V6 just because I'd heard of issues. It would be nice to have a definitive Honda answer as to whether that light truly indicates each and every time the VCM kicks in - I'm doubting that it really performs that function.
  • fldonahuefldonahue Member Posts: 4
    I'm replying to myself here. I just checked the manual, and it does not say the light indicates VCM operation, just good economy. But I noticed one other thing - the auto trans pages tell you that you may feel the trans shifting more rapidly - sooner - during cold weather operation, or warming up. They indicate it has something to do with warming up faster? If the trans has some designed-in function that causes more rapid shifting through the gears, could that be tied to the "VCM issues?" Do those who feel it notice it more, or more often, during the first several miles of operation?
    I have now 11500 miles on my V6 08 Sedan.. the surging, and vibration is as it always has been, maddening and hyperactive... The vibration is really what makes for a very unpleasant drive on the highway at 70 mph. at 65 it also vibrates like bad tires.. had several replaced and still the same issue. The constant surging Honda is telling us is "normal" and a "normal characteristic" of the VCM operation. That the driver will indeed feel it and its "as designed".. only problem, as I have stated before... the advertising and marketing doesnt match what Honda is telling us post sale.
    Again, I speak as someone with a car that "cured" itself - so I may be unique in experiencing VCM from both sides of the coin. I can assure you that the issues others have experienced, similar to mine, have absolutely nothing to do with the transmission shifting gears. My experiences were always when in 5th gear, and most often when the cruise was on. No rpm changes, no transmission shifting - merely the engine being put under load or not causing the demand for the 6, then not, going back into 4 or 3 cylinder operation. golfrski has vibration issues at 65-70. sunnfun, merlion and others have had similar problems. No, it is not the transmission. We are all knowledgeable and experienced enough to tell the difference between a transmission shifting gears, and what is going on (or was in my car :) ) with the VCM. Golfrski - I am really sorry you continue to have your problems and if I may make a suggestion, I would demand a dynamometer test of the car, with the hood up, so the vibration of the engine(or not) can be actually seen. I strongly suspect you have a major engine mount problem - one, if not all. Who knows, perhaps there are different mounts that are supposed to be in different places and yours got put in the wrong places, so they are not only NOT functioning, but functioning wrong, thus exacerbating the vibration inherent in a V4 or slant 3? I surely am not an auto mechanic, nor an engineer, but a car buff. Vibration with a front wheel drive car without VCM could be coming from a bent or out of balance half shaft, bad CV joints, bad tires or rims. You say you have had the tires replaced and obviously balanced. That did not cure it. They have to look further - going toward the engine - CV joints, half shafts, then engine mounts. The reason I suspect the engine mounts is because unlike normal engines where they are inert and only intended to secure the engine and insulate the frame from vibration, these engine mounts are active - they are programmed by the ECM to DO something to counteract the vibrations coming from the engine when it is in 4 or 3 cylinder mode. Do the vibrations go away when you are accelerating and in 6 cylinder mode? If so, then I REALLY believe the engine mounts are your problem and would not rest until all were replaced - not an easy or inexpensive proposition in an FWD car - you have to disconnect the half shafts, and basically pull the entire drive train out of the engine compartment. A water pump/timing belt replacement is $1000. You can only imagine the cost to do what I am suggesting and why there would be resistance. Wish I could offer more. Good luck.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    What's the latest in your battle with Honda?
  • hp6130hp6130 Member Posts: 49
    Recently purchased an 08 accord ex-l 4cyl. on 3/29/08, wanted the 6 but could not justify paying an extra $2000 for home link, extra power seat, etc. This is our first accord after owning 3 straight camries. As I stated in some of my earlier posts, I test drove 4 different V-6 accords, three of them extensively. We had one of the cars for a full day and nite. I experienced nothing out of the ordinary in any of the cars, each car was smooth and powerful. My opinion, I would not hesitate to buy one. Without going back and reading each post, it's hard to remember everything about VCM and how Honda and each dealer is handling each individual case. Having an unresolved issue in a $30,000 car really sucks, but my suggestion would be the following. I would go to the dealership and get the owner/general mgr.(whoever runs the place, the higher up on the food chain the better) along w/ the sevice mgr. and go for a ride and make them experience your issues. Now after they all agree or disagree you have a problem, I would return to the dealership and pick out another V6 from inventory, and do the same thing until I found a car that you feel runs correctly. Tell them this is the way you want your car to perform and run. If this does not resolve the issue I would park the car as close as possible to the dealership on a Sat. and place a big sign on top of it stating "ask me about XYZ dealership and the new honda accord w/ VCM" I would even be willing to give test drives (w/ you driving, of course) to total strangers/potential honda customers of this dealership. Let these potential customers see what you are experiencing and they also can see how XYZ dealership treats their customers who have problems. I would have copies of all correspondence from honda and the dealership w/ you, so they don't think you are some nut w/ an ax to grind over something stupid. About 20 yrs. ago I saw someone doing this, it was in the newspaper. And several weeks later their was an article saying the situation was resolved and the customer was happy w/ the outcome. No company or dealership likes bad publicity, and who knows, w/ the internet, and you tube, the reaction might surprise you. Good Luck
  • gleen6191gleen6191 Member Posts: 80
    do you like your choice in the 4 cyl? You bought on my birthday! I am buying black/ivory today at 2 pm!
  • hp6130hp6130 Member Posts: 49
    Yes, we went w/silver and black interior. We got stronger pricing on an 09 camry xle, but we wanted a black interior. White is our favorite color but you can't get a dark interior in the white accord or the silver/white camry xle. I know you can get it in the camry se, but that's not what we wanted. I like seeing some contrast in a car, the silver camry comes with a gray or beige interior, the accord interior was much richer looking. After 3 camries, driving an accord is different, but so far so good, my wife drives the car most of the time but she really likes it. She said it feels sportier than the 03 camry xle. Good luck w/ your purchase, your car should look great.
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    Does anyone know what it means to have "active" engine mounts? I guess I should be more specific -- I realize "active" means that they adjust to the mode in which the VCM is operating. But, how the hell do they do that????
    As lexus explains -
    "A switching valve controls the pulse of the engine vacuum applied to the active mount's diaphragm. The diaphragm creates a vibration that counters that of the engine and the two vibrations are cancelled out."

Generally? Explained here - several systems, including hydraulic.
    http://www.i-car.com/pdf/advantage/online/2007/031907.pdf

Lexus Explanation? http://www.lexus-indonesia.com/technology_explorer/active_control_engine_mount.a- - - sp?model=All

Another lexus explanation http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/experience/en/home/vehicles/BJ46GT2008/veh_dt_body.jsp- - ?model=BJ46GT&year=2008
  • kmrice2803kmrice2803 Member Posts: 4
    I've test driven the VCM-equipped Accord a couple of times and have not 'felt' or 'heard' anything close to what I'm reading in this forum. :confuse: I wasn't too surprised that neither the salesman or the service department manager admitted to any complaints, but I had nothing but this forum to refer to. Under what circumstances would I most likely experience the problem? How isolated is this issue?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I think we are attempting to determine how isolated this issue is, of course this is all through anecdotal reports.

But these reports really do seem to indicate that some cars display the issues to varying degrees and perhaps some do not display them at all. So it's certainly plausible that the cars you test drove do not behave in the same way that some of the cars driven by the owners here do.

Thanks for your report - if you have more experiences to contribute, please do so.
  • wardcowardco Member Posts: 27
    In my opinion, this has become a forum for a small handful of individuals who have had a problem with their 6 cylinder Accords. They continually post every nuance of their issues over and over again and have done so for months, making their problems seem much more common than they are. It's unclear what their motives are. None of the reviews I've read, including Consumer Reports, evens mentions this as an issue. Thus it is likely an uncommon NOT a common issue. I test drove one when they first came on the market last fall and again recently and noticed no hesitation. Test drive the car and buy if you like it. That's my opinion. (I'm sure this will generate a lot of flames, so be it.)
    No flame - but I will offer up what I think is a comprehensive list of reviews for everyone's easy reference.

It is impossible to tell from this forum and its unrandom sampling of owners and thier experiences how "widespread" or "isolated" the problems they have experienced with VCM are. As I have said - I experienced them all too :sick: - up to about 2000 miles and then - POOF! Gone! :):D Why they went away I do not know, but have previously speculated about. Now I have a wonderful car that with which I could not be happier - except maybe a bit better MPG.

You say "None of the reviews I've read, including Consumer Reports, evens mentions this as an issue."

Allow me to enlighten you with numerous reviews wherein comments are made, the VCM operation at the very least noticed, if not criticized:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/category/cat.2008HondaAccordEX-LV6
    We'll see how effective it is as the miles pile on, but I observed the ECO light coming on quite a bit during routine driving. The switchover to and from ECO mode isn't quite imperceptible. It's certainly more noticeable than the last VCM-equipped Odyssey we tested.

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/HondaAccord/Index2008.htm
    Cruising on the highway, I felt a minor shudder as the engine switched cylinders on and off. More time in a production model will give me a better sample of how smooth the cylinder shut-down works.

Wall Street Journal 1/25/08 "... the Accord was fitted with a 268-horsepower, 3.5-liter V6 with what Honda calls Variable Cylinder Management. This technology is designed to boost fuel economy by allowing the six-cylinder engine to run on just three or four cylinders when full power isn't needed. It works almost seamlessly, but in this case, "almost" isn't good enough. During highway driving with the cruise control on I could feel a slight vibration when the engine switched from three- to four- to six-cylinder mode, which it does often, a downright maddening behavior. That the Accord managed only 22 miles per gallon during my testing ... only made this all the more annoying

AutoWeek 8/21/07“When driving the multi-cylinder deactivation V6, we did detect a hybrid-like torque on/torque off feel when cruising at 60 or 70 mph when under slight throttle(at about 2000 to 2500 RPM). Because the green “ECO” indicator was illuminated, showing that the engine was running in fuel saving economy mode, we were no doubt picking up the engine cycling between four and three cylinder modes.”

USA Today 8/24/07“If you step up too the V6 model, you’ll get blazing engine performance but rougher down shifting than in the 4 cylinder cars. Also a sensitive driver can feel the V6 go through its multi cylinder transitions.”

http://www.epinions.com/content_403535007364
    Noise cancellation technology eliminates the odd noises produced by a V6 running on three or four cylinders. The transitions cannot be heard or felt--to know which mode the engine is in, it's generally necessary to rely on the "ECO" light.

That said, early in my test drive of the V6 I did notice a low frequency thrumming when cruising around 60 miles per hour. And the sunroof was closed. At first I wondered if this might be a by-product of the noise cancellation. But the noise eventually faded away, so I now suspect the tires. If the noise was endemic to the design, many people would find it too irritating to live with.

http://www.web2carz.com/6596/2008/Honda/Accord/reviews/driving-performance
    Like GM and Chrysler systems designed to save gas on big V8s, VCM changes the number of engine cylinders working at any given time and load to save fuel. The previous example switched off three cylinders (half the V6) when they weren't needed, but this new one changes between six, four, and three cylinders for more fuel-stretching choices. The system is completely automatic and unknown to the driver except for two things: The Eco light illuminates on the dash when the system is on, and there's a slight hunting sensation as it switches back-and-forth between four and three cylinders at certain speeds, but you'll need to be paying attention to notice that.

Unless these testers all drove the same car (entirely possible), then it would seem that the experiences of those who have had (me - HAD being the operative word here :) ) or are continung to have these issues with VCM are not all that isolated, and some people notice its operation and some don't.

I was ready to dump my car. The activity of the VCM was more than just annoying - it was physically nauseating and something neither my wife nor I could live with. I just wish Honda would own up to there being a problem with VCM and release some sort of statement - that it sometimes needs to be broken in more than just 500 miles, or that the Active Engine Mounts might need to be looked at if it persists in being noticeable or there are vibrations, etc. rather than sayting mum on it. I personally think that is a big marketing and customer loyalty mistake, but I don't run Honda.

But, rest assured with these links and reviews - there are issues lurking out there with some cars. Guess the best advice for somone who has not bought one yet? Drive the one you want to buy - not a preselected demo - and assure yourself that the VCM in THAT car is operating according to Honda's claims - "seamlessly and unnoticeably" - and the don't let it out of your sight!

Good luck - I hope you find a good one, and can join parviz, viet, hank119, and others, now inculding myself[ :) ] in enjoying a very nice ride.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    I drove 2 different 2008 Accord EX L V6 sedans spaced several months apart (the second test drive performed last week) for a time interval of around 20 minutes each-both tests involved city and highway driving-I detected nothing unusual. I did find the "eco" light constantly going on and off rather annoying. If I bought one, I would probably cover it with a piece of medical tape.

Because of the serious issues experienced with the VCM by some posters here, I would make sure the dealer allowed me to drive the EX L V6 sedan intended for me to purchase, EXTENSIVELY before buying it.
  • abeebabeeb Member Posts: 25
    I'm not sure exactly why you made this post. This is a forum about VCM issues. Even if only two people have this problem, this is a valid forum for expressing their concerns and looking to find others who are experiencing similar problems and might have some answers. The reason for these "few" individuals continually posting every nuance of a problem is because they continually are having to restate their case for those of you on the forum who are doubting the severity of their issue.
    Very good post and very appropriate. I consider my self very fortunate re. VCM - I had a car with major issues just as described by the reviewers. Then all of a sudden - it all disappeared :confuse: I surely am a believer of the issues people have had, having had them myself, but then too, would not have doubted them if my car had been fine from the get go. After all - these are imperfect mechanical objects that vary in quality and consistency with design specs, regardless of whether it is Honda or not building it, where some will be different, and in some cases, "better" than others. Thankfully mine has cured itself and I SO wish for everyone else to have that happen to them. golfrski seems to have had some of the most severe problems and I suggested a dynomometer test for him. Trust me my VCM problem friends, once the issues you have are resolved, or resolve themselves like mine miraculously did, you will find yourself with the Honda you thought you were buying.
  • yrmacyrmac Member Posts: 134
    Here is a VCM video showing when, where and what situation the 3, 4 and 6 cyl. modes occurs.
    Click here: http://www.honda.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/internet/honda.com.au/home/showroom/acco- - rd/features/engineering/accord+-+features+-+engineering

Lucky Australians, their Accords are equipped with paddle shifters!
    5 Speed Automatic with Paddle Shift???? :surprise:
    What website IS this yrmac? Australia?
    Honda Australia
    Not only that but their top of the line Accords have mirrors with integrated indicators and also HIDs.
    We can only wish. :)
    I think the Accord (Inspire) is considered a Luxury car in some countries. Much like Acura is here. I have no need for paddle shifters myself. If I wanted to do the shifting myself, I'd get a manual. I can easily get my automatic to downshift one, or two gears with the accelerator pedal. If I really wanted to shift myself, I can do it with the shift lever. The same way I did in my 72 Chevelle. I guess some people like gadgets a lot more than I do. :confuse:
    However, if you have the VCM, no need to get your accelerator to downshift one or two gears. Once activated, the VCM will shift your tranny from 5th to 2nd ;) .
    :confuse:

I don't think anyone has ever suggested that! Now the grade logic transmission when you are on cruise WILL downshift if necessary to maintain a steady speed.

As for the paddle shifters - those among us with spouses who do not drive manual would love to have that option of a manual override of the auto tranny like BMW, Subaru or many others :) offer.
  • gregy21agregy21a Member Posts: 1
    I have the Australian Accord (made in Thailand) with paddles, vcm, v6, mirror indicators, etc.

I dont need the paddles but they're there and I might use them sometime as a novelty..

As for VCM, i dont even notice it except fot the eco light which I sometimes try to keep on by careful driving.
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    What does grade logic transmission system mean.
    From Honda's Website:
    "The Accord automatic transmission features Honda's Grade Logic Control system. This system differs from other computer-controlled shift programming because it can detect vehicle driving situations and then set appropriate shift points for the car. This feature avoids gear hunting on climbs and descents, and downshifts when appropriate for added engine braking." The surprise comes when you are cruising on cruise control and begin to descend a hill - the car will downshift all by itself into a lower gear, perhaps even two lower gears depending on the steepness of the grade, to maintain the speed set on cruise - the severity of it can be startling the first time, and it will also do it when decelerating for a traffic light - again with much more pronouncement than I have expierenced with other ATs.
    How much (in AU$) are the sill plates (non-illuminated) for your Accord (4 door?)? I think they are dealer installed option if I am not mistaken
  • jam1000jam1000 Member Posts: 182
    Sunnfun -- did you ever get a response from Honda to your emails to the top executives? If so, what was the response?