Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord VCM

Comments

• accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    According to Intellichoice.com- a 2009 Honda Accord LX depreciates $ 8,936 over a 5 year period and is rated excellent for cost of ownership.

A comparable 2009 Ford Fusion S depreciates $ 11,067 over the same period and has higher repair/maintenance costs then the Accord, it is also rated below average in ownership costs.

2008 figures illustrated a similar story, so I'd venture to guess 2010 model resale and ownership values will again point in favor of the Accord.

http://www.intellichoice.com/reports/vehicleReport/vehicle_nmb/24374/section/own- ership/2009/Ford/Fusion

http://www.intellichoice.com/reports/vehicleReport/vehicle_nmb/40500/section/own- ership/2009/Honda/Accord
  • elliott2elliott2 Member Posts: 64
    It should be interesting to see how the newly designed Ford Fusion with the hybrid engine fares. Sales of the Fusion were up 9% in May; while sales of Accord were down 46.3% (down 34.5% YTD).
    The 2009 Honda Accord V6 with VCM is not rated excellent by Intellichoice; it is rated average.

http://www.intellichoice.com/reports/vehicleReport/vehicle_nmb/40519/2009/Honda/- Accord
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Perhaps because its the most expensive version of the Accord (the one you showed had Navi). An EX V6 (which, to keep it relevant as possible, has VCM) is rated above-average. It's all in features/value. Cars with high-buck options like a Nav system lose more of that value.
    A better comparison to the 2010 Fusion gas/electric hybrid will be the 2010/2011 Accord clean diesel that is headed for the US of A.

Its gas mileage will be similar to the fusion hybrid and will likely cost less than the Fusion"s bloated $ 28,000 price tag.

Furthermore, if its stellar gas mileage we are seeking, id rather opt for a 2010 Prius with 50mpg for 5 grand less, but since I am not, it is a moot point.
    Here's the link to the EX V6 without navigation. It's still rated "average" not "above average" as you state in your post.

http://www.intellichoice.com/reports/vehicleReport/vehicle_nmb/40513/2009/Honda/- Accord
    Let's hope that it doesn't get the same type of rating that the Honda Insight just received from Consumer Reports. In the latest edition, CR stated that "it scored too low in our tests for us to recommend it". It was described as "a noisy car with a stiff ride and clumsy handling".

Many buyers of Accord "were" seeking stellar gas mileage. Something that Honda "used" to be known for in their various models. Unfortunately, the new Accord gets lower mileage than the previous generation of Accords at a time when consumers have become acutely aware of the price of gas.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Well, I do believe Honda perhaps went a little to grown up on the Accord. That is why it could have just average ratings. Its still a great car, and ranks high. But, not where they should be though. If they had made the car the overall concept of its coupe version, I think it could be a more contemporary winner. I don't think it would have hurt anything. Consider people want a more flashy and up beat looking car these days. Perhaps missing the mark a bit. I miss my Honda!

Then again most cars these days seem to be a little "grown up".

I would still choose an Accord. I would opt for the EX-L V6. 4cyl is plenty, but if I had to choose now, I would pick this model.
    As it should be clear to anyone who has seen your posts- you are NOT a Honda Accord fan let alone a Honda Fan- so the question remains-

WHY ARE YOU HERE ?

I suspect you would prefer us all to buy cars from this company - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnBVfA66ivA

And, as you have demonstrated your love for Ford so much- that may be a better forum for you
    Check your facts (you can click your own link to see it :shades: )... You've selected an EX-L V6, not an EX V6 as I did. Like I said in my OP, more lux features = less "value."
    You may want to ask yourself that question. The purpose of the site is to exchange views and experiences with the VCM. I happen to own an Accord with the VCM engine. The experience has not been as good as I hoped after owning several other Accords. As it should be clear to anyone who has see your posts - you are a paid representative of Honda and do not have any objective views of the Accord VCM.

Here's the latest story on Honda's newest model:

http://money.cnn.com/2009/06/29/autos/cr_honda_insight/index.htm?postversion=200- 9062923
    Thanks for the response. That's pretty amazing that adding leather would cause the rating to go from "above average" to "average". It appears that the 4 cylinder models all receive a much better rating. Honda's factory rep told me last week that they sell far more 4 cylinder models than the 6 cylinder VCM. It appears that consumers are paying attention to the ratings before buying.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's get some things clear now.

This is indeed a discussion about the VCM aspect of the latest Accord generation. We can continue some of this other general Accord conversation in any appropriate discussion here in the Accord group.

We have never required nor expected that posters in any given discussion only participate if they are fans of the particular subject, so that line of confrontation needs to be dropped. We also don't need to accuse those who are in favor of the subject of the conversation of being paid employees of the subject's manufacturer. So that line of confrontation needs to be dropped as well.

Now, with all of that said, who has something to say about the actual subject of this conversation? We'd like to hear from you!
  • idn2008idn2008 Member Posts: 6
    Honda's factory rep told me last week that they sell far more 4 cylinder models than the 6 cylinder VCM. It appears that consumers are paying attention to the ratings before buying.

Maybe also because 4-cylinder models are cheaper than 6-cylinder ones?
    Maybe also because 4-cylinder models are cheaper than 6-cylinder ones?

Yes, that could be a factor. Let's continue that debate here: Honda Accord I4 vs V6.

VCM comments anyone?
    After just passing 1,000 miles in my 09 Accord with VCM, I have no complaints what so ever. It is barely noticeable with a similar feeling to that of a transmission shift.

I feel Honda should use VCM technology on its entire line of 6 cylinder engines (as it currently does not- ie Ridgeline).
    Let's hope not. The VCM engine is probably part of the reason that Honda Accord got dropped off of Consumer Reports' list of most reliable cars. Honda needs to put its head down and improve the quality of its cars. My 2008 Accord looks great; HOWEVER, it burns oil and gets the worst gas mileage of any car I've had in the last 30 years.
    According to my 2009 Consumer Reports buying guide- the 2009 Honda Accord is indeed recommended and rated above average in reliability. You sir- are in the minority of Accord owners and unfortunately for you wound up with one of Honda's very few lemons.
  • jon0721jon0721 Member Posts: 25
    Indeed........
  • akt1000akt1000 Member Posts: 15
    Actually, the December 2009 issue of Consumer Reports shows only average predicted reliability for a 6-cylinder Honda Accord (a 4-cylinder Accord is still shown to have above-average predicted reliability).
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Because I had nothing to contribute and I doubt anyone would believ em anyway.

Same old pepl;e saying the same old things.

Ok, by now, I have driven probably three dozen different V-6 Accords and I ahve been along on many, many test drives.

NOT ONCE have I felt or experienced this "problem" and it has never been brought by a customer.

Our Service Department has NEVER heard of this nor has our Factory Rep who visits many stores.

Take this for what you will.
    I'm not sure how you would experience the VCM engine burning oil on a test drive. The mechanics at our local Honda dealership are warning Accord owners to monitor the oil level in their Accords. The owners of the v6 VCM are "screaming that the engine burns oil" (their words, not mine). As far as the new Consumer Reports, the Accords still is recommended but it is not in the list of most reliable cars.
    I wasn't talking ablout burning oil. I was talking about feeling the VCM kick in and out as some people seem to do.

People are "screaming"? This is the first I've heard of this too.
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    08 EX-L V6
    26 Months of ownership
    26,000 miles
    Per MM avg distance between oil changes 7,000-8,000 miles
    Unscheduled oil additions: 2 quarts typically @ 6,000 miles between changes
    If, as in previous Accords ( I believe Gen 6 and older) that had no MM but a 5,000 mile recommended oil change interval, I would have never needed to add any oil between changes.
    Avg Fuel Economy: 23 MPG
    Best: 32.16 MPG
    Worst 17 MPG
    In my particular vehicle the oil that I need to add @ 6,000 miles is due to the MM indicating oil change requirements an additional 50% more miles than in the Gen 6 Accords. The extra miles and 5W-20 oil as opposed to 10W-30 that most people were probably using in their Gen 6 vehicles I believe plays a factor in some oil consumption.
    Is the Gen 8 Accord the perfect car? Nope. But compared to many family sedans in it's price range, I feel it still holds a spot near the top.

Just one owners impressions based on a very singular experience. Gen 7 owners will probably chime in that they have no need to add oil and their MM are indicating mileage similar to mine between changes. This I believe is due to the fact the the V6 Accord reached it's pinnacle in that iteration. I held out for the Gen 8 because I felt the styling was better looking to my eye then the Gen 7. So I got the style and size I desired, but with a somewhat schizophrenic engine that if pushed feels refined and powerful, but casual cruising and the on again off again sensations provided by the VCM activity, reminds me that in it's attempt to be a large, spacious, fuel sipping, family sedan, it took a step backwards from the previous generation.
    Having to add a quart of oil at 3000 miles is certainly not beyond normal acceptable specs. All engines will use SOME oil. They have to!

I can remember years ago hearing a Chevy Rep tell a customer that anything less than 800 miles per quart was unacceptable.

I probably missed this but what do people consider "burning oil"?
    I'd say if I have to add oil between oil-changes, then my car is "burning oil."

I've never had to do that; and my '96 130hp LX has 204k on it!
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    A friend was telling me his Accord coupe one or two years old does not use any, any oil between oil changes. It stays at the full mark, he says. I didn't try to explain that there had to be some kind of oil use past the rings and subsequent oil burned in the chamber even if it's very small. The contaminants that build up in the oil add volume back to compensate for the oil used. That keeps the total volume at the full mark.

Often people who have cars who aren't thinking they're using oil are surprised when they take a long trip and the oil level drops. They blame the higher speed driving for the motor's using oil, but in reality the motor has just digested and evaporated away some of the contaminants that had gotten into the oil during more typical driving conditions.

The definition of what's an amount of loss that is "too" much oil is a big question.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    Just curious. How many miles do you average between changes?
    Like I said, all cars burn oil some more than others.

I've never had to add oil to anyh of my Hondas between changes but I usually change my oil ever 4000 miles or so.

Still, having to add a quart at 2000 miles wouldn't be a big deal to me.

I used to have a Buick that ran like a top. From the time it wa new, it would go through a quart of oil anywhere between 1500-2000 miles. I never thought anything of that and it never got worse.
  • wayne21wayne21 Member Posts: 259
    NOT ONCE have I felt or experienced this "problem" and it has never been brought by a customer.

Our Service Department has NEVER heard of this nor has our Factory Rep who visits many stores.

I test drove three new 6 cyl accords with VCM. I had not heard of VCM and was interested in a new accord. On the first test drive asked why the a/c was kicking off and on when the a/c was turned off. Salesman said he didn't feel anything, but offered me the chance to drive another... and then a third one. They all did the very same thing - it's like the a/c kicking off and on. Salesman said he had never heard of anyone mentioning this... Thus, I went to the service department and "told them" I had a new 6 cyl and it was experiencing something like the a/c kicking off and on, but the a/c was turned off. The service writer explained to me that this was a characteristic of the VCM in honda's 6 cylinder and that it is normal. I dont know if this is just a characteristic of the car or what, but there is no way a person could drive the three I drove and not notice the VCM off/on mode.

This would drive me insane - it feels like the transmission is constantly shifting. I drove my wife's girlfriend's '08 honda V6 and it does it too. She can feel it, but said she doesn't care because it's just transportation. From others that I spoke to who own the new V6 honda, they feel it, but have varying attitudes toward it. One of them did tell me that his uses some oil and that when he was tinkering with it he pulled the plugs to see what they looked like and they seem to be fouling out.
    I don't know what to tell you.

Maybe I'm not tuned into noticing this nor have any of my customers.

Only in this forums have I heard of this.
    In my '96, I aim for 4,000 miles. Today I had it done at 4,400.

In my '06, the MM usually takes me to around 8,000 (I have 60% life showing currently with 3,700 miles since the prev. change). I check the oil after about 5k miles in the '06, 3k in the '96. I don't check it religiously anymore since there's never been anything to notice other than a full reading.
  • klunkmanklunkman Member Posts: 80
    I just purchased a 2010 EX-L V6 a month ago. At first I didn't notice the slight vibration from the VCM. Then I became aware of it and I was worried that it would start to bother me. I can say without hesitation that after a month, and over 1,000 miles, I have become accustomed to it and it's no longer a factor.

People like wayne who states that this would drive him insane are never happy about anything.

Personally, I'll take a little vibration here and there for the benefit of having a powerful V6 that also gets outstanding highway gas mileage.
    You missed that one big time. In fact, people like myself (wayne) are quite happy. Paying $30k for a car that felt like it was constantly shifting is not something that I would have cared for and it would not make me happy. Each time I made a payment it would have bothered me knowing I was paying for a car that had that issue. For that kind of money the VCM off/on should not be something one can feel at all. I can tell you that the 6 cyl camry xle doesnt experience this issue and I believe it runs better than the accord. I think the accord looks nicer, but for me the killer was the VCM off/on. Actually, I would go so far as to say that this is a car that was not ready for market. I think honda should have either perfected the VCM technology to the point of not being noticed or gone with a 6 speed transmission.
  • marvin6marvin6 Member Posts: 72
    At first I didn't notice the slight vibration from the VCM. Then I became aware of it and I was worried that it would start to bother me. I can say without hesitation that after a month, and over 1,000 miles, I have become accustomed to it and it's no longer a factor.

Hmm. You noticed the vibration and just became accustomed to it. Is this something that you should have to be thinking about with a 25-30k car? Is this something you should even have to think about when you buy a new car of any price? So I'd have to ask you if you're perhaps interested in buying some refurbished computers? I got them government surplus....
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    He owns the car, and said the VCM doesn't bother him. Why is that a problem, for you? :confuse:
  • marvin6marvin6 Member Posts: 72
    Not a problem for me at all. I am amazed that someone would buy a car for that kind of money and have to "get used to it". I sure wish I had customers like him!
    For a handful of owners the slight shift like characteristic that ensues during VCM operation isn't tolerable.

Keep in mind however that Honda sells roughly 400,000 Accords every year- 100,000 to 175,000 of which are V6 models.

The handful of owners that find tremendous fault with Honda's VCM are certainly in a small minority considering Honda's volume of sales - which are likely less than 1% of total Accord customers.
    People spend $70k on a BMW, and it has that annoying sensation every time the transmission shifts gears. Amazing, that someone would put up with that. No car is perfect, at least I haven't found one yet. If you find the perfect car, let me know.
    Haven't seen any blogs talking about "that annoying sensation every time the transmission shifts gears" on BMWs. However, when the transmission on the 2008 Accord down shifts, it can be very harsh at times.
    For a handful of owners the slight shift like characteristic that ensues during VCM operation isn't tolerable.

Keep in mind however that Honda sells roughly 400,000 Accords every year- 100,000 to 175,000 of which are V6 models.

The handful of owners that find tremendous fault with Honda's VCM are certainly in a small minority considering Honda's volume of sales - which are likely less than 1% of total Accord customers.
  • klunkmanklunkman Member Posts: 80
    When I said "accustomed", read "doesn't even register". Again, it's no more than an a/c compressor shudder, and it doesn't happen every time the "eco" light comes on.

Bottom line is that if this is all someone can argue about this car in terms of "quality," I guess Honda's doing a pretty good job. There are plenty of other things that go wrong with other makes that I would surely not trade for, based on this miniscule VCM issue.

I'm done, and wayne's still not a happy dude.
    Haven't seen any statistics of "the handful of owners that find tremendous fault with Honda's VCM". Is this taken from Edmunds.com, combined with Consumer Reports blog site, LemonAuto.com, etc.? Or, is there another web site that provides such statistics? Anecdotal conjecture? That would be great if there's a good source for the statistics on auto problems.

My previous Accord was a 2003. The transmission was recalled but other than that we were lucky and did not have any problems despite the many other problems that I've read about.
  • rbbrickrbbrick Member Posts: 37
    I have a 08 v6 coupe, in my case they found a missing oil ring on one of my rear pistons. This is very sad QA - in fact there have been more of these at my dealer.
    I have a new short block with 20K miles on it and uses about a 1/2 qt in 4000 miles.
    I have posted all the information from day one on this issue. Happy now! :shades:
    Roger
    When I bought my honda new, I was told by a number of people that if you ever have any problems with it it will be a transmission. I had several put in mine. (I also had some seat belt recalls and things like that, but no big deal on that.) Honda lost a class action lawsuit that required them to fix transmissions from 1998-2002, but I was unaware the problem ran into 2003. My concern about honda's VCM is whether or not the VCM (be it the on/off or oil consumption or whatever) will turn out to be like the transmissions from 98-02 (and perhaps some others). I know one of the honda defense attorneys (aka employees/fans) will rebuff what I say, but that's fine. Honda makes a good car and keeps the resale value up by not overproducing and dumping on the rental car fleets. It's been a success for them. But like other manufactures, honda doesn't make a perfect car. They're machines and have problems. When I was car shopping I actually saw a (non-honda) salesman on the edmunds website and I read over his shoulder. The salesman do protect their interests!
    No, I'm not a salesman (of any brand). I am just an owner, of two Accords since 1991, who has been very impressed with his cars. I have driven many other brands, before and since, but they don't measure up imo. If that makes me a "fan", so be it.
  • wisalesmanwisalesman Member Posts: 10
    Sorry but new to this forum. I just inherited a 2009 Honda Accord V6 with 19k miles. It is a great looking ride but when I picked up the car from my employer the steering wheel shook like crazy at 65-70 mph. I took the car to the local dealer and they balanced the tires and said it was fixed. Took the car and the same issue as before no improvement. Took the car back and they said the Mich. tires were causing the problem so they replaced them. This has fixed the steering wheel shake but the car from 50-70 mph has a constant chassis or driveline vibration.
    I had to drive the car back home 900 miles and had plenty of time to experience this low grade constant vibration. Once back home I took the car to the local dealer who test drove the car and stated that it is normal.
    Is this all related to the VCM activation and causing an imbalance/vibration being transmitted to the chassis? Please help very frustrated.
    I have been reading many forums on this issue and I can not believe that Honda is not coming clean with a TSB solution to resolve this. I am glad this is not my car and I will tell you that I will never buy a Honda with my own money if this issue is not resolved by Honda Corp.
    Have you driven any other Accords? They tend to exhibit rougher rides and transmit more feel through the steering wheel when compared to your average Camry or Sonata.
    Let's do without the name calling and personal attacks, please.
    Having had four Accords over the last several years, I can say that they do tend to have more steering vibration than other cars. The VCM engine is not likely to cause a constant vibration. The vibration from the VCM engine occurs when cylinders are de-activated; it seems to be worse in some modes than others. Could be caused by the imbalance in power when the engine is in 3 cylinder mode but even than would not be constant.