Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord VCM

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    It should be noted that only in the Accord coupe can you get the 3.5L without VCM (when you order the 6-speed); I suspect this version is what made the list, since they specify Accord Coupe.
  • blue_boyblue_boy Member Posts: 52
    Still, it didn't do too badly against Toyota's "modern engine". I suspect the engine with VCM is the same engine as the coupe except with the VCM added.

Honda has always been noted for their great engines.
    I've read tests where the editors/writers have noted that the non-VCM engine feels much stronger and more torquey than the VCM equipped car, so there may be some engine mapping differences as well.
  • jon0721jon0721 Member Posts: 25
    Toyota 19MPG city...My car gets 23-24MPG city with VCM I would say the minor "issue" feeling the VCM is worth the additional MPG over 19 MPG under the best conditions on the Toyota.......
    If you get above EPA estimates in the Honda, there's no reason you wouldn't do the same in the Toyota.
    I seem to remember there are two cam profiles for the non-VCM vtec and one profile for the VCM vtec.

Since I never hot rod (the VCM version is plenty fast for me/wife), I prefer the extra gas mileage. Honda is a relative small company and they can't make any major mistakes. So, they put the 6 speed automatic in a smaller number of cars to find major flaws. I expect once they feel confident they will use the 6 speed auto in the Accord.

To me, the Accord is a little more of a driver's car and the Camry is a soft quiet car (sort of like a Buick). It depends on the driver which they prefer. My wife is more of a driver person. Plus, she likes the green house effect (large windows/windshield) of the Accord.

Seems like the market is plenty big enough for all these cars to coexist.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    Here is a review on gas mileage for both VCM and non VCM engine:

In terms of fuel economy, four-cylinder Accords are about average, while V6-powered models receive slightly above-average ratings. Four-cylinder cars with automatic transmissions achieve 21 mpg city/30 mpg highway and 24 mpg combined, while the manual transmission bumps those numbers up to 22/31/25. The six-cylinder returns 19 mpg city/29 mpg highway (28 in automatic coupes) and 22 mpg combined with the automatic, though the manual-shift V6 coupe drops to 17/25/20, as its version of the V6 lacks cylinder-deactivation technology. Notably, we had a hard time replicating the EPA's 29 mpg highway figure in a long-term test of a 2008 EX-L V6 sedan.
    Our trip mileage typically runs 28.7/28.8 mpg. 2009 sedan v6 exl auto. We use cruise control and do not brake hard (or often) or accelerate hard. We generally are no more than 5 mph over the speed limit (depends somewhat on surrounding traffic). We typically drive on hilly terrain.

We don't spend as much on automobiles as I suppose we could afford (we feel like money spent on an automobile is wasted) so we splurge a little on a cheaper automobile. We like how the Accord handles and the good visibility. We have a good dealer who is close by and handy. I guess you could say we are satisfied with our purchase/decision.
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    My 08 V6-EXL is returning similar fuel economy which I feel is more than acceptable for a vehicle of this size. Well said regarding the cost your willing to live with for transportation. My sentiments exactly, and with the Accord you are getting a lot of car for the money.
    Heh, thanks for the feedback/support! I think this is a first for me on a forum!
    I am driving a car which has great acceleration and on paper beats a 1970 427 Vette in 0-60 and 1/4 mile and many other "muscle cars" of my day and getting 26MPG AVG.
    0-60 1/4mile
    2010 Honda Accord Coupe 5.3 14.2
    1970 Chevrolet Corvette 427 6.1 14.3
    1968 Chevrolet Corvette 327 7.7 15.6
    1967 Chevrolet Camaro SS-350 8.0 15.4

A little " VCM noticing" is a small price to pay...... :)
    Not sure where you are getting your 1/4 mile time from but here is a comparison that you should worry about and its not a 40 year old car on skinny bias tires. This test was is posted on this site and this is the VCM 1/4 mile time.

Our fuel-economy logbook surprisingly shows the Mazda to be the easiest on fuel, and our observed average of 20 mpg exactly matches this car's EPA rating for combined average mpg. Perhaps because this 3.7-liter V6 offers the highest torque at the lowest rpm, the Mazda 6 doesn't have to be driven as aggressively as the Accord or Altima to get the job done. The Accord's 268-hp 3.5-liter V6 managed only 18 mpg in our hands, while the Altima's 270-hp 3.5-liter V6 recorded just 17 mpg. (The Altima V6 also requires premium fuel.)

In terms of real power, the Mazda 6 went through the quarter-mile in 14.7 seconds at 95.6 mph, while the Accord did the task in 15.6 seconds at 91.0 mph and the Altima did 15.0 seconds at 95.2 mph.
    All those numbers seem good to me except for having to buy the premium fuel. In our area that's at least $0.30/gal more so that alternative would be eliminated in my case. Also, drag racers in my area drive muscle cars and many end up in trouble with the law. We are averaging around 1 vehicular homicide/3 years for drag racing. A life jail sentence is typically imposed.

Other factors need would need to be evaluated before I could make a decision.
    "Not sure why you would expect 1/2 the engine to wear out twice as fast. All 6 pistons operate at all times. Just no fuel to some of them"

Here is another dumb question. If the all 6 cylinders are moving why wouldn't you just reduce the overall fuel flow to all of the cylinders and not worry about vibration and noise eliminating radio waves and all the other stuff Honda tries to do to cover up the noise & vibration? What are you saving by turning off the fuel to 3 cylinders? You are still moving 4000 pound and you still have all of the friction of 6 cylinders? If you say less fuel then I would say design it to distribute the lower amount of fuel to all 6 cylinders
  • jmillerjmillerjmillerjmiller Member Posts: 113
    The engines are already being run as lean as possible to cut down on pollution. Reducing the air fuel mix further would bring on knocking, causing the engine computer (assuming the car is equipped with a knock sensor) to reduce the timing to prevent detonation and possible piston damage - thereby cutting power down even more, but with tougher to control results.

IMHO - VCM is an oddity, just like the old 4-6-8 engine Cadillac made for a short time in the eighties (hopefully the VCM engine is more durable). More marketing spiel than anything. It helps a certain segment of consumers convince themselves to buy the more powerful car by helping a specific area of fuel consumption. Until physics are repealed, buying a smaller engine in a lighter car is the only way to get big increases in economy across the board.
    I know in my/wife case that VCM played no role one way or another. We like Honda (based on experience) and wanted a V6 Accord (size we wanted). All our criteria were met whether or not it had VCM. We test drove it (35 mi). We are pleased and neither of us can tell the VCM is even there. I was rather surprised when the speed control down-shifted on a steep grade to hold the speed set. I suppose if one didn't know better that behavior might be attributed to VCM. Our car is quiet, comfortable and gets good fuel mileage. Also, it is dependable which is more than I can say for many cars we have owned. It burns regular fuel and for the price it was a steal. What's not to like?
  • jmillerjmillerjmillerjmiller Member Posts: 113
    I'm not necessarily a VCM hater, but I do think that it is more gimmicky than needed. On the highway I find that using the cruise is best, as the somewhat delayed response when I am adding power manually causes me to over do it a little. Overall I like the car, but mine has had a steering wheel / vibe issue since day one. From many past experiences with new cars and dealers, I can say that trying anymore to get it fixed is wasting my time - so its a live with it and ignore it, just like the little VCM mini-shift sensation (normal, and I have never called it an issue on mine at the dealer).
    I kind of miss the old style Accord - before the ACE body structure resulted in a higher dash/cowl, much like the typical US make sedan where you sit down in a tub with high cowl and window sills.
    The car has grown way up, and lacks some of the earlier Honda magic and touches (if they inflate the Civic a like amount soon to match, it might be a better choice). Mine has the most paint flaws of any vehicle I have owned since my 96 Chevy Silverado pickup. It feels big, bulbous, and cheaper than the older Accords. My impression of the four cylinder base model 08 Accord (loaner) was it screamed rental car inside, after being used to the V6 navi.
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    We can debate 'till the cows come home the benefits or lack thereof VCM tech. I still feel a Honda engineered 6 spd auto would have yielded similar or better fuel economy without the mild occasional reminders of the VCM activities under hood. That being said I just finished an article in a car mag calling the last generation BMW M3 automated tranny harsh shifting in manual mode and clunky in auto, and we are all aware of the money one would have to lay down to own that vehicle.
    After a few problems with air travel of late, my wife and I have decided to drive from New England to Florida for a few Red Sox spring training games. We'll take 2 days down on pure interstate and 4-5 days back a mix of interstate and Blue Ridge Pkwy. This will be the longest trip we've been on in the Accord EX-L V6 and we'll see if I'll be willing to write any other posts with a title similar to this one. I suspect that I will.
    Are there other family sedans that chew up interstate miles more comfortably and quieter? Sure there are, but most lack the crisp handling and feeling of being connected to the road that you still get from this Accord, although this generation has taken a step backwards in this regard from the previous generation. My car will have just been serviced @ around 30,000 miles when I embark on this trip, so I'll have the tires rotated and balanced before leaving. At their current 28,500 miles they are noticeably more noisy then new but that is to be expected. I'll post my thoughts after the trip, with what should be several tanks @ 30MPG or better.

Happy motoring to all!
    You have to remember I'm coming from a 98 V6 Accord sedan. Our 2009 is so much better there is no contest. If the model "peaked" a model year or two earlier than our current, I'm sorry I missed it.

The higher hood line is now mandated so all cars are in the same boat there. We still get that big window/windshield feel - as good as the 98. So I'm not totally following your observation there (unless it is a model I missed). For people that want a smaller car than the current Accord, it just seems like that is what they should select. Why buy the Accord when you want something smaller? Doesn't make any sense to buy one and then complain because it is too big!? I see where a lot of people do that. Sort of unbelievable.

Same deal with the 6-speed. If that is a must have, then buy a car that has one. Don't buy one that doesn't and then complain about it! Our 5sp auto seems pretty much flawless to me. Would I like a 6-sp? Yes, if it is as smooth and dependable as the 5-sp and gives 2mpg better mileage. I'm sure it would cost more. So it's a little hard to say how much better deal it would be, if any.
  • rcummelinrcummelin Member Posts: 184
    Our new 2010 Accord is the 2nd Honda we have had with VCM, and have had no problems with VCM whatsoever. No vibrations, noise or any other "indications" that the system is in different modes. Possibly our senses are not as acute as others, or equally possible that our cars have somehow been assembled a bit more carefully, or that our system(s) have simply functioned perfectly, while others may not.

Interesting that so many can feel/hear the transitions.
    Nor have we had any squeaks, rattles, or groans.

Yesterday, we were driving in an extremely heavy rain on the interstate. I noticed the stability control LED suddenly lit like a fireworks show. I immediately slowed since I suspected we had begun a slight hydoplane. I never could even feel it in the steering or throttle but I'm sure it had started (we saw many cars that had slid off the roadway.) This is our first car with SC and it is a life save. Our insurance company doesn't give much discount though. Seems like they should. Maybe people don't slow down when they see it lite up. They don't know how to use antilock brakes so no discount there either.
    We only had squeaks & rattles on our 2007 Element, after only about 6 months. I really did NOT like that car, although my wife loved it, and was PO'ed at me when I got rid of it.

That Element was simply a poor choice for older folks, I think. Super noisy on the highway, really poor gas mileage, and the AWD system (same as the Crosstour, BTW) only cut in after you started slipping BIG time. I hope they have done some "Fine Tuning" on the AWD in the Crosstour.
    We have a Pilot which we like. Seems just fine. Pretty good fuel mileage too with lots of room.
  • hondafoolhondafool Member Posts: 9
    I just traded in my 2008 V-6 Accord for a 2010 Honda EX-L with almost all the bells and whistles of the '08. Rather than be miserable I decided to do what many of you non-enthusiasts suggested--I got rid of it.

On the way to the dealership to pick up my new Accord a couple of nights ago I was reminded of how much I Ioved the 6-cyl engine when I had to make a power move to get on the interstate at rush hour. Man, it's nice to push the accelerator and get instant response. About 2 miles up the road I was stuck in bumper-to-bumper 65-mph traffic and on a slight upgrade when the hunting for the right cylinder combination began. Then I was reminded of why I was making this drastic move.

It should work out though. I've got 190 horses on this model and that's adequate, if not exhilarating. I expect to get beter mileage and when it's time to move on to another car I'll have something of higher value to sell or trade. For all you folks that don't noticeVCM, or if you do, don't care...I salute you. And for all of you guys (like me) who can't leave a scab alone and are constantly picking at it--do something. But don't abandon Honda, they'll get it right eventually. There are other good Honda's without VCM. ;)
    I am sorry you had such a bad time of it with your 08. Not sure why some v6s have the vcm problem. Ours doesn't. So, there is at least one good Honda with vcm. Anyway, it's a shame your dealer wouldn't/couldn't fix it for you. The big 4 is a nice engine/car though. I'm sure you will enjoy it now that the "hunting" will be missing. I am not sure I would have been so forgiving of Honda though.
  • dinofldinofl Member Posts: 53
    Elliott,

How did your arbitration go. I just leased a 2010 Coupe V6 automatic and HATE the way it drives on the highway and when the ECO light is on. I am in the process of drafting a certified letter and sending it to Honda management and my dealer.

Thank you
  • robotaz2robotaz2 Member Posts: 7
    I had an '08 Civic Si with 5,600 miles on it that was already leaking fluid from the differential and the seats were already looking horribly worn. It also rattled to no end. So, stupidly I decided that it must be because I had a cheap Honda and bought an '09 Accord Coupe EX-L V6 5AT. That car only lasted 3,600 miles in my garage. First of all, the VCM is the most annoying techno garbage that I've ever heard of on a car. There is no way that people can not notice this junk. It would lunge back and forth in and out of ECO mode all the way down the highway to my home. On the interstate as you would start to go up a hill it would kick from 3-cyl to 4-cyl mode and make this awful droning sound until you pushed the gas down to kick it into 6-cyl mode. VCM was completely unacceptable for any car, regardless of price.

Also, the paint was chipping around the back tail lights from poor fit, the headliner was hanging down on one side in the back seat, the rims all had clear coat drips that were dried and broken off (down to the metal), the interior made constant cracking noises, the "grade logic" (LOL) was so bad that when the car was cold it would shutter horribly up the hill by my house when it changed gears. The passenger seat had two missing bolts holding it down and had to be repaired!!!!!!!!! The driver seat track was warped, and called "normal". The electric steering jerked at low speeds when turning.

Long, long story short: I drove two brand new Hondas for a total of less than 10,000 miles and will never own another. Both cars were junk. We drove other Accords so that the dealer could blame the problem on all Hondas and they all did that same idiotic VCM junk. You have to be clinically disabled to not notice it. Never again Honda!
    Wow. You could have had a really nice 6-sp manual coupe without VCM had you just known. Too bad. The coupe is the way to go if you don't like VCM. Turns out, the VCM in my wife's sedan works just fine. Go figure.

I have a pilot. Had I been getting one for myself, I would have gone for the coupe. It is stunning. But, the wife wanted an auto and it was/is her car. Maybe you will have better luck with your next car. You may want to give it a good long test drive first.
  • choppedntubbedchoppedntubbed Member Posts: 39
    Are you really sure you had an '08 Honda Civic Si, in addition to your '09 Honda Accord Coupe???

To quote you from a post you put on this forum a little over a year ago on 1-29-09, regarding your '09 Honda Accord Coupe, "...This will be my last Honda for sure. I have been very, very disappointed with this car and it was my first Honda. It makes me mad, but I can afford to laugh at how stupid people who love Honda are and write this car off as a total loss..."

In view of this, I question your credibility, when you go on ranting about a car you may or may not even have. Let's be truthful here.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    If it sounds too bad to be true, it probably is. :sick:
    Likley a Toyota owner attempting to sling some stuff in Honda's direction in an effort to deflect all the negativity being heaped upon Toyota.

Really funny though! LOL! ;)
  • hondafoolhondafool Member Posts: 9
    I certainly didn't write my post to elicit this kind of response. Yea, the VCM is an irritant but even I wouldn't call it a downright catastrophe. Like I said, if it doesn't bother you I'm happy for you, although I sincerely believe that Honda needs to phase this technology out.

As for the 2010. I've gotten nearly 1000 miles on it and reasonably happy. I sure miss the power and to tell the truth--I'm unable to see better gas mileage but that will improve with age and no cold morning warmups I expect.
    I have now had my month old 2010 Accord Coupe V6 automatic in the shop three times. I keep complaining about surging, vibrating especially on the highway. They did balance and tire rotation twice. I asked why they did it a second time in three weeks and they said it "needed" it and the car should be ok now. How is that normal?? Why would a car need it twice on a brand new car? They didn't give me an answer. Third time they did a "high speed forced balance" whatever that is. Now they are admitting they feel something, but still think its the tires. They refused to give me a copy of the service performed the third time because they say "they are opening a case with Honda" and I should drive it and see if it went away. This doesn't make sense because if they feel it, why would they ask me to drive it? They are hoping I will just go away? Since its the third time are they refusing to give me paperwork because they are afraid of the lemon law? I specifically told them to write on the paperwork I was feeling vibration, surging while in eco mode. The car is beautiful to look at, but a nightmare to drive. It also gets the worst gas mileage of any V6 I've ever owned. Owned a 95 Maxima and an 02 Mercedes CLK. Both were smooth and powerful. The Accord feels like a jiggly, vibrating noisy piece of junk in comparison!
    The Accord feels like a jiggly, vibrating noisy piece of junk in comparison!

If the car is that bad, I wonder why you didn't notice any of this on the test drive? Or was there a test drive? Once you sign the papers, it's hard to get rid of a problem car, and not lose a big chunk of moola on it. Live and learn I guess. I drove my niece's 2010 V6 Coupe, and I noticed it had a lot of road noise, but other than that, the car was fine. lots of power, and probably faster than my 03 V6 Sedan. It's a very nice looking car, but $30k is too much, for a two door car, IMO.
    I test drove a V4 for about 5 - 10 minutes on secondary roads and never went over about 45. The dealership is pretty far from the highway. The 4 cyl felt fine. No vibration. I was going to get one but was going to have to wait a week. They gave me a pretty good deal on a 6 cyl that was on the showroom floor. Silly me thinking the 6 cyl would drive at least as good as the 4cyl. The 4 does not have the VCM/ECO mode, only the 6. I have been driving cars for 33 years and never experienced anything like this surging, vibration. In fact my first car after getting out of the army in 1983 was a 1980 accord hatchback that ran smoother and better than this. Between my wife and I, we have owned six Hondas and and I don't have one bad thing to say about any of them. All were great cars. That is why I am shocked at this situation. And obviously I'm not the only one. If you google Honda Pilot VCM you will get tons of posts complaining about it as well. In fact its even mentioned in Wikipedia. Unfortunately I am finding about all this now. I have never even had to think about what is going on in my engine before. I certainly never had a green ECO light flashing on and off constantly while I drive. Its all very weird. It does have a lot of road noise too as you stated. Maybe your niece's car is fine and I got one of the lemons. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Thanks for replying
    It' better to do your research before you buy! If it is as bad as you say (and I have no reason to doubt you), then something is definitely wrong with your car. Just stay after them until you are satisfied.

BTW, I've looked at other car threads here in the forums and every make of car gets whacked about something. There are a lot of people out there with axes to grind for one reason or another - and problems. Many get emotional and over-react so that it is hard to tell much about any of the cars based on their comments.

Just stick to your guns and don't be too disheartened.
    You really need to test drive THE car you are going to buy. When I bought my first Accord, there was a red EX, just like the rosewood brown EX I ended up with, but the car didn't run as smooth, shift as good, or drive as good as the brown one did. Needless to say, I bought the brown one, even though the red one looked hotter. You never know which one is a lemon, and you can't tell by looking at them. You have to give them a good test drive, and compare.
  • okiegal1015okiegal1015 Member Posts: 2
    Wow, I had no idea there'd be THIS much discussion on noticible VCM shifting.

I just bought my second Accord this past Saturday. Its a 2010 Coupe EX-L V6 5A w/Navi. My first was a 2001 EX-L V6. Inbetween these two, I had an Infiniti G35 coupe and a FX35 AWD. Both Infinitis had butter-smooth transmissions. I never noticed any shifting around while cruising. I don't remember if the 2001 EX-L V6 had VCM back then, but maybe one of you guys here does. In any case, I don't remember ever feeling the Honda shift like I'm feeling my new Accord do its willy-nilly highway shifts in Eco mode.

Its not bad...but since I came from butter-smooth...never noticing anything, this is noticeable...and starting to be a little annoying. I thought maybe it was just a difference I needed to get used to with a new (different) car. But coming here and seeing so much discussion, I'm starting to wonder if this is an issue I need to take up with my dealer.

Certainly this issue wouldn't make the Accord not perform as well, or last as long..be as good a car as I remember - right?

I did take test drive... I didn't do a long one, and now of course I regret it a little. I drove on main artery streets, side streets, and highway. I didn't notice the shifty ECO mode when I was on my test drive on the highway. Weird...but I was in traffic and perhaps I was distracted trying to pay attention to merging, etc..and not a smooth coast.

If this is something that cannot be fixed, then maybe I can get used to it. Its just odd enough since my last 3 cars didn't do this. Any advice?
    My understanding is that they didn't start putting VCM into Accords until the 2008/2009 models, and only in the V6. Its been in the Pilots for several years and if you google "Honda Pilot VCM problems" you will see lots of complaints too.

I've driven many, many cars in the 33 years of driving and NEVER experienced anything like this. I've had mine in the shop three times and they keep saying its the wheels. I KNOW ITS NOT THE WHEELS!! They refuse to take it on the highway and cruise it at 65-70 because "its not throwing an engine failure light". This is very frustrating. They are going to balance the tires a forth time next week!! I am almost at my wits end. If this doesn't work, I'm going to file for arbitration, contact BBB, lemon law, retain a lawyer and sue the crap out of Honda, maybe contact the newspapers, start a web page and start a class action suit with other Honda owners. I'm sure I can find some lawyers who would love to get their hands on some Honda money. Especially with what is going on with Toyota.
    Did you take it to the same dealer each time? If so, you might try another one. In the past, I have gently reminded mine that they should go to bat for me before I give another dealer the opportunity to do so. They seem to understand better if you speak softly and firmly.
    edited February 2010
    Same dealer I leased the car from. I don't want to have to start from scratch explaining the problem to a new dealer if I can avoid it. What benefit would it serve me to go to another service center/dealer? I have been very patient with my dealer, but have steadily been increasing my tone. Part of the problem is knowing who to talk to. I have dealt with my original salesman, the service rep that checks my car in, the mechanic and assistant service manager. Keep getting a runaround from each one. Not sure if I should speak to the general manager. Seems other posters have gotten an equal runaround.
    After you buy the car they don't want to hear from you anymore, unless you are a paying customer. Don't want to deal with warranty issues/customer complaints. From day one I told them its NOT the wheels and its coming from the engine, drive train, engine mounts. They refuse to listen even after three wheel balances!!!
    I feel your frustration. Now, though, you know this dealer will not help. That's good information for the future. Tell your salesman you are going to another dealership to have it looked at and that if the other dealer fixes it you may not trade at the current dealership anymore. Give your salesman "one last chance" to stand up for you. If he is too stupid to realize what you are telling him/them - good riddance.

ps they are wanting you to give up and live with it. They should be warned you have a long memory.
    BlueBoy,

You have to be kidding me. They would love for me to go to another dealer!! Then I'm not their problem anymore. They even suggested it. I am NOT letting them off the hook.

I have emailed other people with this problem and they assure me Honda will never admit its VCM and will never fix it no matter who I go to and my only recource is to continue to let them service my car, document everything and go the arbitration/lemon law route which is what I am expecting at this point.

By the way I have spoken to the salesman on this at least four times. He keeps telling me Honda stands by their product and the sale doesn't end until the customer is happy. Lots of words and no action.
    Well, it certainly sounds like you are having a rough time of it. I don't think surging is a symptom of all Accords having VCM. It certainly isn't with ours. So, something is obviously malfunctioning. Whether or not it's the VCM would have to be determined. The Eco light color depends on the # of cylinders engaged. The more often it blinks; the more the active cylinders are changing. Someone with an itchy foot (like my daughter and son-in-law) would probably see a lot of blinking. We both make an effort to drive as steady as possible (and have for years) and to use speed control where appropriate. Do you ever use speed control and does the blinking continue when it is engaged? If so, that would be valuable info to supply to the dealer/maintenance foreman. I hope you won't give up before you get some satisfaction from you dealer. Good luck.
  • rsmith8rsmith8 Member Posts: 47
    I notice the surging and blinking ECO light primarily when the roadway is in hilly terrain - with or without cruise control engaged. When driving on the interstate and going over an overpass, the ECO light will turn off when climbing the slightest incline and turn back on almost immediately after cresting the top of the overpass or hilltop, but there is no noticeable surging. I wish there was simply a manual override so that I could just lock it into either 4 or 6 cyl operation for those times when it becomes annoying when driving in hills. I do, however, enjoy the 30 mpg highway driving when on the freeway - traffic permitting - with the cruise control at 70 or less. If you have the NAV screen set to 'trip computer', you can see a big difference in the instant gas mileage when the ECO light goes off - like immediately dropping from 30+ to 20, so I am sure the engineers felt the VCM was the least costly solution to obtain satisfactory highway mileage. Hindsight, the EXL 4 cyl might have been the better choice.
  • accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    """start a class action suit with other Honda owners. I'm sure I can find some lawyers who would love to get their hands on some Honda money. Especially with what is going on with Toyota"""

I'd recommend to you, just sell your go and move on / go away.
    """start a class action suit with other Honda owners. I'm sure I can find some lawyers who would love to get their hands on some Honda money. Especially with what is going on with Toyota"""

What losses exactly are you suffering.........My God people are always looking to hit the lottery with CALS, I guarantee except for those who were hurt by Toyota no one will make enough ti fill their tanks.....or maybe get a voucher towards a new Toyota,,,,

They would laugh this one out of court.......
    HOnda has been making the VCM engine since 2003.....Millions of vehicles have been sold with this technology. Only 115 pages in three years on this issue here in Edmunds. with many back and forths,

Seems to me people either did not research the vehicle first, seek out "issues" then test drive the vehicle in conditions that would imitate those who are having issues and decide for themselves whether or no the V6 Honda AT is satisfactory.

I believe many bought on faith alone THEN did the research. That is not Honda's fault and it is why they simply cannot do anything about the "problem" and will not and WILL continue to make the VCM engine becasue apparently they are selling everyone they are making.

What people are experiencing is normal. I felt it when when I test drove mine as I was concerned after reading these and other forums. I had to decide for myself. I concluded the benefits far outweighed the minor feel of the VCM operating between this car and the Altima, DTZ Malibu, and Milan I drove. All four doors. I decided on the Coupe becasue I liked the look and we already have the RAV 4 (which has not been recalled becasue it was made in Japan) I would not hesitate to buy either car again. With or without VCM.

I would say to those who don;t like their cars take advantage of the great resale and buy a Chevy or Toyota.....
  • anthonyyanthonyy Member Posts: 13
    Honda is no different than Toyota Motor. They are getting so big they do not really care about their quality and design.

I gave up a year ago when I took my car many times to Honda Service about vibration around 58 to 63 miles .They changed tires many times. Even their service manager at local service center felt the vibration. But Honda Motor said the vibration is within their design. I filed the claim with State of Ohio , they said as long as Honda Motor claims it is in their design and it does not cause any problem with safety they can do nothing, It is up to us , STOP buying Honda
    Now with Toyota Motor get so much attention, may be now is time to get together to ask for review of Honda Motor on their design and safety issue. Is their any lawyer out there welling to help to set up a class action to sue Honda Motor?
  • anthonyyanthonyy Member Posts: 13
    Everything you said are correct, but majority people do not do research before they placed the order, Honda Motor just like Toyota one time they do make a good car, good design and good workmenship. So majority people trusted the reputation of Honda or Toyota and their dealers. This is a problem. This is the reason we need government involved to make sure the car companies does not hide their mistake.

What is your suggestion?