Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord VCM

Comments

• robtroxelrobtroxel Member Posts: 103
    Accordguy,

You make a some good points on the TSX though finding a 6 speed Accord coupe is a little harder. I'm told they don't lease out well because of the 6 speed. Can you get a 5 speed in the EXL sedan?The actual lease cost between a TSX Automatic and Accord EXL v6 Auto is very close. Could it be that lately Acura is throwing more incentives into the pot ?
  • accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    edited May 2010
    To my knowledge, the EX-L 4 cylinder sedan is no longer available with a manual transmission ; / I believe you might have been able to get a manual on the EX-L sedan for the 2008/2009 model year but was discontinued for 2010.

As for the similar monthly payments I suspect the small difference in costs between the Accord V6 sedan and TSX 4 auto (assuming you were referring to the 4) is because the TSX retains a higher percentage of its MSRP of which the lease payment is based (residual value).

I haven't personally driven the current generation TSX but after having become accustomed to the Accord's V6 grunt, I'd likely have trouble going back to a 4 cylinder.

Perhaps one of these weekends I'll give the TSX a whirl.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    "Thanks to Obama and his fuel economy standards, don't be surprised if you see more and more cylinder deactivation type engines showing up through out many makes of cars besides just Honda"

Honda has been putting the VCM engine in their cars since 2003 so I am not sure what Obama has to do with the VCM. I hope the other auto makers can learn from Honda's mistake because Honda surely did not learn from GM's mistake when they tried the same thing in the 80's
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Honda has been putting the VCM engine in their cars since 2003 so I am not sure what Obama has to do with the VCM. I hope the other auto makers can learn from Honda's mistake because Honda surely did not learn from GM's mistake when they tried the same thing in the 80's

Honda has had few compalints that I know of from owners of the Pilot and Odyssey with VCM. It seems to be the application of the technology in the Accord that is raising the issues. GM and Chrysler are using their cylinder deactivation systems in V8 engines and I've heard little about them, also. Technology has advanced since 1981 General Motors.

Also, what 2003 Honda had VCM? My understanding was that it made its debut in 2005 Odyssey and Accord Hybrid models.
  • rcummelinrcummelin Member Posts: 184
    Honda has had few complaints that I know of from owners of the Pilot and Odyssey with VCM. It seems to be the application of the technology in the Accord that is raising the issues.

If you search the web, you can find a few complaints about VCM in the Odyssey & Pilot. Actually very few.

To me, the interesting part of the entire VCM debate on this forum is that seemingly only a handful of Accord owners seem to find fault with the VCM-equipped V6s, while the majority of owners don't have any issues at all (like me!).

We previously owned a 2008 Odyssey with VCM and had no issues with it. If the Odyssey had given us problems with it's VCM, we surely wouldn't have bought a new Accord.

It's most unfortunate that Honda has taken the stance that all VCM complaints are answered with "The system is working as designed." This attitude is NOT helping Honda's reputation with previously loyal customers, and is likely to lose them future customers, even those folks with no VCM issues (again, like me!).
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    I'm on my second VCM Accord sedan so it's obvious that I'm not bothered by it. My seat of the pants perception of my second one seems to indicate that, so far as my two vehicles go, there are differences from vehicle to vehicle. While my 08 would under certain conditions "clunk" as various cylinders were put to use/sleep, to the point that passengers would ask what that noise/feeling was, that is not the case in my 2010. Given the complexity of Honda's system compared to GM's, I'm not surprised by this. Any item that's mass manufactured has over and under tolerances that are allowed. When hydraulic engine mounts, ANC, and various engine components are to work in unison to mask the effects of cylinder transitions, a combination of units at various ends of the spectrum could produce slightly more noticeable effects than those that lie closer to the mean.
    While they have changed their web site from stating seamless to near seamless, they should have changed imperceptible by occupants to barely imperceptible, and you would have been presented with a more accurate presentation of real world VCM activity, and done this from the start. Backpedaling to correct inaccuracies will almost always be perceived as misrepresentation.
    Given most states economies and the lack of attention to proper road maintenance, feeling what amounts to the equivalent of a transmission shifting, is the least of my problems. Driving in New England lately I feel as if I'm on cobblestone roads most of the time.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    "Also, what 2003 Honda had VCM?"

Vehicles equipped with VCM
    2003 Honda Inspire
    2005-2007 Honda Accord Hybrid (J30)
    2005+ Honda Odyssey EX-L and Touring Models only (J35)
    2006+ Honda Pilot 2WD Models only (J35)
    2008 Honda Accord except EX-L V6 6MT Coupe
    2009+ Honda Pilot (all models)
    Ok, so no sold-in-America Honda had VCM in '03. That's what I thought. Knew about all the others! :)
  • elliott2elliott2 Member Posts: 64
    Do you work for Honda in Windsor Locks, CT?
    No.
    Sorry. Your email moniker is close to the same last name as the factor rep (Meers) that called me last week regarding the pending class action lawsuit against Honda on the 2008 Accord.
  • hondafoolhondafool Member Posts: 9
    edited July 2010
    I wrote about my VCM problems and the ultimate solution back in March/April. The solution was to dump the '08 loaded V-6 and get as loaded a 2010 XL 4-cyl as was available. The 190 hp vs. 268 hp (or is it 270?) represents a startling decline in power but I'm living with it. What's amazing to me is that my wife's 2007 EX has 20 less hp but more pep than my 2010. I think her's may have been the last really good Honda. I'm not saying the 2010 is not a good car but it's far from exceptional, which is not what you're used to saying if you're a Honda enthusiast. FWIW, I do a lot of in town driving along with my 35 mile commute and I'm averaging 28 mpg with the 2010. If I drive it the speed limit it goes up to 30-31 mpg--but who has time to drive the speed limit? Anyway, I'm more than pleased with my mileage.

I'll be keeping this one for a long time (for me 5 years is a long time) and unless Honda does something about the 6 cyl/VCM issue this will be my last Accord. I'm starting to sit up and notice...gasp...Hyundai. I never would have thought that those words would come out of my mouth!
    Glad you dumped the 08. I never made he move to the VCM V6 after driving one so I went with a 2010 Maxima from a 2007 EX V6 navi Accord which was turbine smooth. They cheapened up the 2008 + by removing those great LED tail lights. You are right, Honda is loosing it's edge!
  • austinman7austinman7 Member Posts: 313
    edited July 2010
    hondafool,

I have to agree with you about the superiority of the 2003-07 generation in some respects, especially in the drivetrain. My '04 4cyl. was peppier than a current 4 cyl. and the transmission was very smooth.

I traded for a used '07 SE V6 with 13000 miles on it last year, and the engine is great, but the transmission doesn't shift as smoothly as I think it should. (Of course, the service dept. says it's operating normally -- I'm used to that response with today's cars.) So I'm kind of looking for something else.

I would be driving a '10 Accord V6 right now if it weren't for the VCM and ANC. I keep checking this thread from time to time hoping for news that Honda came to its senses and at least made VCM an option. But I can't see that ever happening. So I'll probably drift away from Honda, in spite of the fact that I still love the overall build quality and driving experience of the one I have.
    Just dropped my 2008 Accord (VCM) off for service this morning for numerous problems. The gentleman from the dealership gave me a ride to work and gave me an earful about the problems that customers are having with the newer model Accords. He even went so far to tell me that the service dept employees joke that someone would have to be crazy to buy the current Accord based on the problems they're seeing. Also, the person at the service desk told me that she just got rid of her 2008 Accord.

I have to agree with the statement that the previous generation of Accords were the last good Accords.
  • daneeldaneel Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2004 EX V-6 and a 2008 LX-P Accord, both with AT. The V-6 model has done 54,000 trouble-free miles and is still on its original Michelin tires.
    The LX-P, my wife's car, has done 26,500 miles without any problems whatsoever - even the rear brakes are still in good shape, no rattles, no squeaks, no nothing. In my opinion, the 2008 LX-P is the more solid vehicle and has the same sharp driving characteristics, e.g., steering response at Interstate speeds than the EX V-6. Needless to say, the V-6 engine is silky smooth across the ref range and consistently achieves 30 - 32 mpg at Interstate speeds. The LX-P engine is not as smooth and powerful but certainly has enough grunt to keep up with every traffic situation that it has been exposed to. I am a highly satisfied Accord owner that honestly think that the cars in the 2008 - 2010 model range are better than the those from the 2003 - 2007 years.
    theprofessor
  • jmillerjmillerjmillerjmiller Member Posts: 113
    The current generation accord is missing some of the attention to detail, along with the solid engineering that was the Honda stock and trade. Add some obvious penny pinching.

Details like how when driving at highway speeds in heavy rain, the water gets pulled back into the field of vision on the driver side by the wiper. Or the miserable low beams of the headlights, unless you re-bulb. BTW the low beam bulbs are a PIA to change compared to the older models.

I have a 2008 EX-L V6 Navi. I can notice the vcm mini-shift sensation, the lag in acceleration, and I have a steering wheel shimmy at certain speeds. Also some shudder under braking. Wheels were roadforce balanced, front rotors have been turned, and so on. I basically gave up, as the dealers aren't interested in trying to fix anything that takes more than basic skill and tshooting. I'll ditch this tub for something else next year, and not look back. Till then, drive on, as is, unless it shakes itself apart or breaks.

Yeah, it can get good highway MPG numbers, especially using cruise control - 29, but around town I get about the same MPG as my prior Subaru Turbo - 17. MPG was not why I bought it, and I think that Honda got off track using this technology when they haven't perfected it yet.
    I get similar gas mileage and agree with your observations regarding the lack of attention to detail.

Just had the rear brakes replaced yesterday and got the royal run around from a Honda customer service rep at their 800 number. The class action lawsuit has not yet been approved by the court so they did not want to reimburse me for the brake replacement. (The Honda factory rep had warned me earlier that the rear brakes would go quickly. Apparently, the manufacturer of the brake pads did not manufacture them to spec. Instead of standing behind their product, Honda decided to stand behind their lawyers and deny the problem.)

To add to the fun yesterday, there was a shiny new screw (used to install new license plates) sticking out of the tread of the front passenger side tire. The service desk told me to come back today to have it repaired. It didn't occur to him that I couldn't drive home and back on a flat tire.
    Funny about that brake suit. When I had mine in for inspection, I actually heard the service writer telling a customer about it while giving them the usual bad news that they needed brakes. This will be a case where the dealers price the settlement in, make more profit, and the buyer feels they got a break - since they only pay the difference between the max reimbursement and the repair cost.

Service writers have been taking up-sell classes, that's why they wanted to replace my cabin air filter at less than two years and 18K miles. Neat how being reluctant to do so got the quoted price to come down...chalk it up to the maintenance minder cutting down on routine months/miles maintenance work for the dealer.

I think it bothers them if someone's bill is for just state and emissions inspections. I'm probably too negative, but for me these days customer service seems to be lip service at best, or outright insults. Speaking of hating home builders.....

So did they claim the screw must have been in the tire when you gave it to them? Or did they pony up and do the inside patch repair and rebalance at their cost?
    After I pointed out that the screw was a shiny new screw that identically matched those used by the dealership to install new license plates, they quietly fixed and re-balanced the tire. HOWEVER, the dealership came back and suggested that I needed the transmission fluid changed at 29,000. (Not sure what this has to do with the flat tire but appears to be a means for charging for something to offset the tire repair.) Politely said "no thank you" and will have it checked at another garage.

This car rivals the last GM car we owned as far as poor quality. This is the only car I've ever had that you could actually hear and feel the gas sloshing in the gas tank when you stop at a light or stop sign.
    Glad they fixed it. Seems like a common thing for dealers to do, if they do something gratis they try and tack something else on. Had a Chrysler with the ultradrive transmission fail at 28k, and the dealer insisted the coolant needed flushed when they were changing the trans (I had already had the coolant done at an independent shop). If you say no, you wonder what will be wrong with the other repair. Hard to trust after that.

Honda dealer here wanted to replace the cabin air filter and engine air filter at 2yrs 18k miles - car just needed state safety and emissions inspection (and had passed not needing anything). I was expecting rear brakes, but they said they were nowhere near worn out. If only they would chase the vibration with such vigor - but alas, it doesn't pay nearly as well.

I play the radio, so no fuel sloshing heard here. Also, I tend to keep the tank fairly full.
  • eds66eds66 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2010
    Hi guys. Two days ago I purchased a new Honda (2011) Accord Coupe EX-L V6 with Navi AT. I test drove it thoroughly -- both local roads and highway -- before shelling out the money. I saw no issues during the test drive. After I handed over the check to the dealer, I came across this forum and this thread. I was petrified. For the past 2 days I've been driving the car trying to reproduce if not all then at least some of the symptoms several of you have been complaining about in this thread. Fortunately for me, I have not able to generate any of the aberrant VCM behavior so scrupulously described by numerous posters. The car drives smoothly. I feel no jitters, bucks, shimmies, or any other drive train anomalies at all. There are no road force vibrations, no pops and rattles -- yet! -- from the dash, and no sloshing sounds from the fuel tank. There is road noise, but it's not so bad, and I am pretty sure it's caused by the monstrous Michelins that Honda opted to put on the wheels. The wheels, by the way, have been changed. To me they look much nicer now -- five spokes -- and they don't extend past the rubber. This will reduce chipping and scratching in the future, I am sure.

Finally, I owned a 2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L Navi 6 speed Manual Transmission, which I sold 9 months after buying it. I liked the car, but the gearbox left much to be desired. The third gear was atrocious ( when the car was cold it was simply impossible to go from 2 to 3 without forcing it) and Honda could not do anything about it. The clutch was heavy, and the gear ratio was really weird. In fact, although the car was clearly faster off the line than my current Honda, I would bet that gear shift misses would probably negate most of the torque superiority of the 6 speed MT (at least in my case, although I've owned many MT vehicles.)

If any of you have any questions about my 2011 Accord, please let me know.
    Hi,

Glad that your car is meeting all your expectations. Four years into the new design, it would be past time for them to have fixed the teething issues that some had. As it stands for me, I'm not crossing Honda off my future list, but it is no longer a 'no brainer' to buy one.

When I bought mine, I discounted the advice that is/was typical for many domestic makes, which is to avoid the first model year or two of a re-design. My 2008 Accord Sedan EX-L V6 Navi was the first year of the eighth generation Accord, and to add to that the first year of the 3,4,6 VCM setup (it's been pointed out that the Odyssey had a 3,6 version) , amongst several other techno things - like the attempt at noise cancellation.

Basically, its an OK car, but if Honda would listen - I am not very impressed. I've owned many new cars of various makes, and I expected this one to deliver, like the subaru, toyota, I owned prior. It is a notch or two below on fit, finish, and NVH. It actually has started to feel a bit like some old domestic cars in being a bit bloated feeling (unlike those, it handles well due to the big tires and good suspension setup).
  • eds66eds66 Member Posts: 2
    I just love the looks of the Accord Coupe. That was the number one reason I got it in 09 and the number one reason I got it now. The 2011 version, in my opinion, looks even better than the 2008 - 2010 models: the rear end does not look so toy-like, and I was never too fond of the wire mesh grille. I think the current generation Accord Coupe the best looking car on the road for under $50,000.

I was willing to accept a small number of defects for $30.00 as long as I liked the car overall. I've owned a lot of cars in my time, and they all have had defects. The best thing you can hope for these days is to get a car with a minimal number of flaws. The 2009 coupe 6MT simply had too many problems with the clutch pedal and gear box. The current model, 2011 Coupe V6 Automatic seems to be OK; better than OK, actually. I just hope some of these problems don't surface later.
    edited September 2010
    If you haven't "felt" anything odd/different by now, it's a good chance you never will. We have had a 2010 EX-L V6 since January, and we only feel something "odd" once in a great while. Definitely nothing we are concerned about.

The reality about the reported VCM "problems" is that some drivers are either extremely sensitive about very tiny changes in their cars, or their cars actually have real problems that 99% of VCM-equipped cars either do NOT have, or drivers cannot feel. The real issue about VCM is that Honda seems reluctant to do anything about the reported problems, stating that the cars are operating normally. That's really poor customer service! Shame on Honda for taking that stance.

If you go back over the more than 2000 posts in this thread, you will discover that the actual complaints come from a very few number of posters. Obviously, they are not happy Honda owners, but IMHO, the vast majority of folks with VCM-equipped Hondas ARE happy owners.

Drive it and enjoy it!
  • barr1814barr1814 Member Posts: 8
    I feel it but it's not a major concern for me as well. It's just the nature of the VCM. I've had my 2009 EX-L V6 since Nov. 09, and I am still pleased with my purchase. The gas mileage is great; the look is great; the features are great; etc. Sure, there are some things I would change, but it's not a biggie for me. I've had the infamous rear brake problem, but it's been rectified (I hope), and I hope to get that $150 reimbursement via the Gibbs settlement. Now, if someone can advise me on how I can get my Ipod from my iPhone 4 to display and operate through the Nav panel, I'd be a happier camper. Overall, I give the car a B+, a good enough grade to keep it.
  • dinofldinofl Member Posts: 53
    Hi there, I'm glad that you have no problems and I hope you don't develop any. I have a 2010 and my main gripe is when I drive at a constant speed of 65-70 (on the flat roads of FL) that my ECO light goes on and off repeatedly. Everytime that happens I feel the car "shift", surge, pause, vibrate. It also happens at 45-50, but its not as bad. So imagine taking a long highway trip with all that action going on. I really hate it. I've tried everything. Cruise control, etc. Still happens. For the money I spent I could have gotten a TSX with no ECO mode. Less HP and sportiness, but a lot more luxury features. I brought my car into the shop five times and they say there is nothing wrong. I have given up and now have 26 months left. If this isn't an issue for you, you are very lucky!!
    VCM appeared to be a good idea on paper; in real life it can be annoying unless every component is functioning perfectly, i.e., liquid filled computer controlled engine mounts, noise cancellation system, computer controlled shifting of the transmission, etc.

Given the wide range of opinions on the matter, there is apparently a wide range of performance, indicating some serious quality control issues.

The VCM is most annoying on my 2008 between 30 and 45 mph, especially if you're driving up and down slight inclines. The transmission won't down shift and requires more torque as the car goes up an incline. The result is that the vibration from having less cylinders operating becomes very pronounced in the steering and the front passenger seats. When driving on the highway, the vibration becomes most pronounced when the engine is in three cylinder operation and the car feels like it's constantly shifting as the engine goes from 3 to 4 or 6 cylinders.

While I like the appearance of the car, I will not be getting another unless Honda dumps the VCM.
    My gut feel is it will be gone when the Gen 9 Accord goes into production. They should have enough confidence in their 6 speed auto tranny by then. The results in fuel economy should at least equal to VCM if not exceed it. The overall drivetrain feel will hopefully return to what brought loyal Accord owners back to the trough for frequent feedings.
    VCM needs to go! Agreed,>> when Honda faithful customers such as me (Bought 5 Accords in the last 7 years) move on to another brand,(Not a Hyundia!) something is wrong. VCM tops the list as well as a general cheapening of the car (2007 vs the latest series) It's shame..
    Hope you are right, though this isn't the first time a new generation has fell a bit flat IMO. At one point I went from a 1993 Accord EX to a 1995 Accord EX and it felt cheaper. For example, instead of separate armrest pads, they just molded the armrest into the door panel, the whole thing covered with that short fuzz - sorry, fabric.

Another disappointing thing was the year when they went from glass headlight lenses to the cheaper plastic that gets the haze on it after several years, that you then need to buff off.

The VCM mini-shift, and when its in an eco mode the lack of immediate response to minute throttle changes is annoying at times, but the frigging steering wheel shimmy / and vibe in the front floor at times, is what pisses me off the most.

Reality for me is that next year I will likely trade the 08 Accord Sedan EX-L V6 Navi for something else, and it will be one of the cars that I will remember as being OK, but not one to think fondly of.

However it will not be one of the POS ones on my list - I still have a grudge against Chrysler products and dealers from a 1992 Dakota. Yeah, thats why I had a 93 Accord, my very first import car - and it really showed the parents and some relatives what they were missing with Ford and Chevy at the time.
    Even though our Accord's VCM system seems to work OK, I completely agree that VCM needs to go! IMHO, VCM is a poor "band-aid" approach to improving gas mileage. I say that because it appears, just like in the old Cadillacs, that far too many drivers can feel the transitions in the system, and those transitions bother them.

You may recall that in 2008, Honda claimed in their ads that VCM was "seamless" in its operation. You may also note that they no longer use that term, likely because in reality, VCM is NOT seamless.

It's time for Honda to move forward and dump this system. I also agree that if they don't get fid of it, I will also look elsewhere for our next car. VCM-equipped Hondas are too big of a crap shoot.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    This is the first time I've read of a person who actually liked the glass headlight covers on the 1990-1993 Accords! t didn't take much to get them broken by flying rocks and they were very expensive to replace. The front bumpers had to be dropped.

The Lexan covers usually don't get dull but if they do, Mcguires makes a kit that buffs the haze off. Not a big deal at all.
    Guess I got lucky, put 53k miles on the 93, never a broken lens. It helped that where I lived in NJ they usually used sand laced with salt on the roads in the winter, instead of PA (and WV among others) that put friggin' gravel on the roads in the winter.

Back to VCM, why put a light in the dash anyways? Just to advertise? Kinda like the upshift lights and vacuum economy gauge that were the gimmicks in earlier days.
  • eagle747eagle747 Member Posts: 9
    One week ago I bought a 2010 Honda Accord V6 EX-L for my wife. After a few days she asked me to drive it b/c she felt a bad shake in the wheel on the highway. I drove it and took it straight to the dealer. They said it was just the tires and they needed to "wear in". They balanced all 4 and gave it back, "problem solved" they said. I took the car back on the highway and the shaking was better but the vibration in the steering was bad. I spent the next day at the dealership for 6 hours until finally they put 4 new tires on the car. "problem solved" they said again.

Nope, i got home this evening fuming and went looking on the net for info. and found this forum. I can't believe it. This is my 3rd Accord (1997, 2003)and I've never experienced this with Honda. I realize now the vibration has nothing to do with the tires, which is why 4 brand new tires made no difference. I also realize that the surging I feel on the highway is not my imagination, but a by-product of the VCM.

Has anyone been successful in fighting this ? I have 600 miles on this car and I absolutely do not want it.
    They keep saying problem solved to try and avoid linking all the visits together under one issue. Most states when you hit three tries to fix the same issue, you can invoke lemon law. Depending on the state, that can help a lot, or not much at all.

If you dig back into this forum to when the 08's were fairly new, you can find a person or two that managed to get a buyback, or their dealer helped them out by taking some more of their money and putting them into a different car - either the four cylinder sedan, or the manual coupe v6 which didn't have vcm in 08, etc. Watch the four cyl though, some people were really pissed off about the way the headlights dim when the ac clutches in at night.

Mine has some shimmey, but I don't do a lot of highway driving now, and just ignore the jitter. Hope to trade it next year at the three year mark. Some people aren't bothered by the vibration, but others like us know it shouldn't be there and find it unacceptable.
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I would push this. I would not deal with a car that made me miserable. I have an '05 Accord 4 cylinder and it has been a great car. What I find on here are problems that I never read about until the new model in '08. What I find in comments on here is that Honda is resistant to doing much to help you. Stay at it! If you do not get this resolved, you will never be happy with this car.
    Sorry, but bluntly you screwed. Just like me. You can do a search for my posts.
    Why does the Lemon Law not apply in this situation ?
    Because the car is safe and driveable?
    So if you purchase a car and find out it has a defect which the dealer knew of, didn't inform you of, but had you been told, you would not have purchased the car, your screwed because the car in not dangerous to drive. It rides terrible and is very uncomfortable, but its safe, so too bad ?
    ...essentially, I think that's how it works. Extensive test-drives are a must.
    Well I am not going to quit. If you had a serious paint defect, the car would still be perfectly safe to drive, but that doesn't mean you are stuck with it.

I just can't let it go yet.
    edited October 2010
    The problem with the lemon law is that you have to somehow prove that it is an actual defect. Honda keeps claiming to me that the car is "working as designed" regardless of the vibrations and surges. So we would somehow have to prove that the car has an actual defect. You may win, but unlikely is my conclusion.

I have 26 months left to my lease and am counting the months until I get rid of this piece of junk.
    i'm have found that in Louisiana I may be able to use the redhibition law which basically says that if the things is not fit for its intended purpose, or the issue reduces the fair market value, I can get a rescission. If I try to sell the car, i have to tell a purchaser of the defect, and then I will not likely get the FMV, so I'm going to try that route.

Also, if I can prove they knew of the defect and didn't tell me, I have a shot b/c of the concealment.

All I can do is try, this car rides like junk on the highway.

p.s. I spoke with Honda of America and they told me to get a second opinion from another dealer. I'm doing that tomorrow.
    Also, proving the defect is easy. The 2010 accord 4 cylinder cars don't vibrate and have wheel shake on the highway. So the V-6 is the issue. They also attempted wheel balancing, rotation, and 4 new tires, so they were working on "some problem". They can't say its imaginary, why would they give me 4 new tires.

I think the problem is proving the defect is sufficient to warrant a rescission of the sale. We will see.
    edited October 2010
    I hope you are successful. If you need any ammo, you can contact me. I have five service tickets from Honda doing wheel balancing etc, and has all my VCM, vibration complaints on them. I even had a Honda Corp rep ride in my car. He claimed to not feel anything. I told him I would close my eyes and tell him everytime I felt a surge or vibration. I called it everytime the ECO light went on and off with my eyes closed. He kept saying everything was working as designed and that I was too sensitive and would likely not be pleased with any car! I told him I have NEVER felt anything like this in 30 plus years of owning cars. I told him I will never buy another Honda as long as I live. He didn't care. I told them to just swap me out for a stick which doesn't have VCM. They just don't care!! My ex wife's 2002 Civic that cost $14K drove like a dream compared to my 2010 $30K coupe.
    I will let you know. I find this getting more interesting by the day. Yesterday, my dealer and American Honda decided (by phone) that the "problem" is not a problem, it is a "characteristic of the car". I brought the car to a second dealer today and told them the whole story and left the car. They called me 3 hours later and said "they felt the vibrations and saw the wheel shake", they road force tested the tires and had to rebalance one, "vibrations gone."

I went over there, drove the car with a tech (who had not worked on the car, that guy was gone) and he felt the shake and vibrations and said," no way that should be shaking like that". We spoke with the service manager, who played stupid, but did write on my ticket that the tech could still feel the vibrations.

So I'm going to try the mediation/arbitration route. The car is dangerous because you might think its shaking and vibrating b/c of the "normal charateristic of the vehicle" but in actuallity, you may have a bad tire or other serviceable issue.

The fight starts tomorrow.
    Hey dinofl,

I drove 2 other brand new 2010 v-6's at the request of my dealer and they both did the same thing. Yet there are actually not that many people I can find complaining about it and there are at least three years of the same set up. Have you seen any other sights where folks are talking about this issue ?
    edited October 2010
    This is Honda's standard routine. They force balanced my tires too. I asked them how is it possiblr a new car needed two wheel balances, an alignment and a high speed force balance. They said it was a known issue with my car and Florida roads. They weren't even making any sense. They seemed determine to keep trying to appease me, but unwilling to admit a manufacturing or design defect and put me into another car or refund.

I had heard that the Consumer Reports website, you need to pay a subscription fee, had a thread of owners complaing about getting a class action suit and the thread was mysteriously deleted. Just google "Honda VCM problems" and you will see numerous websites talking about it. Its also a problem in Pilots and Odysees. I don't understand how Honda gets away with it and there's no recall.