Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn VUE

Comments

• gehegehe Member Posts: 78
    -Seem to have hit a 'slight' snag with my 3 months order for a 2003 V6 in 'Bright Blue'.
    -Whilst throwing back a couple beers with my favorite Saturn Sales person ... she casually mentioned that the 'Bright Blue' VUE was not metallic ...
    -To most folks, that's no big deal. To me it's a MAJOR BIG DEAL !!! Metalic paint is up there with ABS and auto tranny, power steering and all the good things that you learn are MUSTS from your present vehicle. Kinda like learning that wearing knickers to try on pants in a store is a good idea. Wearing hiking shoes when you go out walking countryside. Like taking your passport along when you fly international.
    -And why metallic ? Because whether dirty or clean, it looks great. My nearly 9 yo Tracker still looks great and still turns heads. (Okay ... the heads are all 21 ...but ...)
    -So I called Spring Hill again. Back in June I had called Spring Hill and gone back and forth about 'metallic/metal flake' and they confirmed that it was 'metal flake'. Now they were happy to confirm that it was plain. They were clueless about any of the 2003 colors. I have no idea how a Customer Service department could be so ill informed. As an apparel designer, it would be like a customer asking what colors I was doing for Fall 2003 and I said I had no idea !!!???***. Give me a break !!! They promised to call me back today. They haven't.
    - My sales person says that only Silver & Copper are metallic ... Copper is being discontinued. This, of course, is on top of an expended order that has been plagued with color issues and 'VUE DUE' dates that have been as uncertain and fleeting as an English Summer.
    -I think this is the dumbest thing to do to a great vehicle. I let it 'fester' all night, but whilst I was zipping around to Staples I was noticing all these great metallic colors in other makes of cars. I came home with a knot in my stomach.
    -Sorry, this is just too big a purchase and a "ten year car" not to be happy with the color or finish.
    -The whole process just got really exhausting. The Sales person is finding out some options, but I may just yank the whole VUE purchase all together.

(mmspeal) ... just kidding on the 'kitty' ....
    I love them really and you are my favorite "POST PERSON" !!! Don't hate me !!!

(jmatero)
    -Check out the Aztec crash test results. That should end your speculation. Not sure you want to be left trying to resell an Aztec years from now.
    Later 'Cyber friends' .... begining to sound like the Lone Ranger here ...
  • maynardf1maynardf1 Member Posts: 127
    I wasn't suggesting vues in general are plagued with problems. Mine has had a few, but nothing terrible. I meant a single unit, one vue among many, can have multiple problems.
    And when that owner gets on a board like this a common reaction is denial.
    (Idiagnostic)
    Logan ...
    -Help me out here ... SVP. I have two Saturn Spring Hill, VUE questions for you.

1) Why is it impossible to get clear answers from Spring Hill 800, Customer Service # regarding tech stuff ? I am talking about the "METALLIC" / "METAL-FLAKE" issue. It seems that Spring Hill just does what it wants, makes changes and then changes the changes. Keeps dealers in the dark.
    -My dealer's sales folks have a $500 bet that my BRIGHT BLUE VUE arrives "METAL FLAKE" dispite what the 800 # folks have told me. I like the support, but it also means that the dealer folks are definately in the dark and that they have "been here" before. It's not impressive.
    -If you can get the 'skinny' on the 2003 BRIGHT BLUE VUE, metallic/non-metallic, I will be forever in your debt. And sleeping better ...

2) My first choice was ORANGE, but not with TAN. I asked if ORANGE could be made with Grey as a special request and my deal OPs guy gave my sales person a whole BS thing about assembly line. Well, I toured the factory in August and those VUEs are all black-primed and each car is made specifically. The exterior colors has no relation to the interior colors only by company decision. The parts are only ordered a short time before assembly so what's the big deal yanking a grey interior for another VUE and sticking the ORANGE roof , door and side panels ??
    -Thanks in advance ....
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    I think this board is a terrible place to get an initial idea about a vehicle as many people come here to find solutions to their problems or complain about their cars. People who are happy and aren't real car nuts generally don't hang out here.
    (dindak)
    -Not all news is good news and a host of positive POSTs is no more helpful than the bleeding heart ones.
    -I have found this site, (and others), incredibly informative even stuff that doesn't seem directly related. The guy who POSTs his family vacation. How is that related ? I thought it was neat and showed me a happy camper with his VUE, a glimpse into a type of VUE owner etc.
    -I even read that "Lease a KIA" thread wondering what that was doing in a VUE Posting, but it too was informative. It was poorly titled, but it was comparing a KIA to a VUE and the POSTs changed my opinion about KIA and HYUNDAI which I had thought were a good deal. I learnt that, that great 10 year warranty is a ruse as it's not transferable and most folks don't keep their cars that long. I have also learnt that they are often in the 'shop'.
    -Sure feel better about a VUE 3 years.
    Later ...
    I think if you stick around for a while, you will get a good idea about a vehicle but, I think a lot of people just poke their head in and see people complaining about their cars and run. Maybe I'm wrong, but some forums I look in seem like a complaint file for the respective company.
    Went on a long trip away this weekend. I must have seen about 10+ VUE's along the way. I was surprised how many there were on the roads. Saw more VUE's than new generation CR-Vs.
  • mmspealmmspeal Member Posts: 122
    The dealer I purchased from and their sister dealer in near-by Hamilton held their annual reunion this weekend. It was at the African Lion Safari and I couldn't believe the number of Saturns I saw. You were allowed to take 5 people so on the way, every Saturn we saw had 5 people - it was quite humourous as you knew where they were going. When we arrived, I couldn't believe my eyes ... everywhere you looked were Saturns! The parking lot, back up lot and even the overflow lot were filled with them, as far as the eye could see. I have to admit though, there were very few VUE's in comparison to the S & L's however there were more VUE's there than I have seen on the road.

It's okay Gehe - I am happy to hear you wouldn't really kick the kitty! I am sorry to hear about your blue dilemma though. I was actually the opposite about the interior in my VUE. I wanted the neutral as the plastic they use on the interior posts is the same in grey or neutral - I didn't like to how the two colours looked together in the grey but they seemed to match with the tan. Push them on the interior colour thing though ... I was initially told that I couldn't get the black silver with tan interior, and also told that the red was only available with tan but I have seen both variations since. I absolutely hated the orange/bronze when I first saw it but it is really growing on me now - it looks bright and shiny all the time. I am very happy with my red though - it still looks good regardless of how dirty it gets. If only I could figure out how to get the wax off the black trim - my first time ever waxing a vehicle - oops!
    (dindak)
    -Yup. But I think that's just folks being folks. I think this group has alot of REAL VUE fans because they come out in force if any one gets real nasty !!

(mmspeal)
    -Thanks for your POST. Actually. That's really interesting what you were saying about the ' neutral ' ... and thank you for the encouragement. I am going to push for Orange/Grey.
    -I have been working 7 day weeks on an impossible Fall 2003 cashmere group so I am definitely in the ' crabapple ' zone so the ' blue thang' really knocked me off my pedestal.
    -So, before I was certifiable ... I took Sunday off, put the " Penny " model away as form of exorcism, actually went back to the internet to research cars again, drove around all the local dealer lots and suddenly found my car was heading up the Parkway to Saturn.
    -I'm going to advise my " Saturn girl " that the next time I am about to go ' Postal ' on her, to just drag me up to Saturn, stick me next to an Orange VUE and let me hang out in the temple of Saturn to get calm. ' cos that's what I did. With no one around, just me and " Penny's " sisters, I totally found my equilibrium. Well ... going back and forth from Red to Silver to Orange to Tan Interior to Grey Interior for over an hour probably doesn't sound very stable ... but there you are. (Bet that looked good on the security cam !!!)
    -With all the other cars fresh in my mind I was wondering how I could ever have doubted the VUE. This car was totally made for me !
    -Of course I fell in love with the Orange all over again, it's stunning ... and worse come to worse ... I'll live with Tan. Thankfully, if the Blue is a problem ... I'll go with Orange/Tan ... but definately a VUE.

-"OhioVUEboy" on Saturnfans.com POSTed to say that his dealer, (and I think where he works), has the 2003 color kiosk and BRIGHT BLUE is definately metallic. So I have no idea why Spring Hill says it's plain. I have an e-mail into them.
    -Oh. By the by. I want your life (mmspeal) ! Yup ! Driving around in a VUE, shopping, gardening ... sounds just fine to me !!
    -Later cyber folks ...

PS:- took " Penny " back out ... I'm a VUE / Saturn fan again .
    I must say ... life is good these days. I have finally learned to leave the stress of work at work and enjoy myself when I am not getting paid. I do work long and hard hours but as hard as it is at times, and as much as I'd like to just go home and veg in front of the t.v., I am really focusing on playing hard too.
    Hmmm ... should I tell ya about my latest toy?
    I just put a hot tub in my back yard ... I actually bought it back in May but it didn't arrive until last week. (I think Costco may have Saturn beat for making you wait) Anyway ... I think my little VUE and gardens are probably feeling a little neglected these days as I've been spending a lot of time out there. I was actually concerned that they might not let me in the Saturn Reunion yesterday because my VUE is so dirty!
  • vuefor2vuefor2 Member Posts: 490
    mmspeal :: Saturn reunion sounds like fun.

dindak :: I see a lot of Vues on the road these days. As word gets around I'm sure sales will continue to rise. Saturn treats people real well which is why we may consider an Ion next year.
  • jmaterojmatero Member Posts: 253
    I don't know about getting metallic on saturns...... I can't speak for the VUE, but I have yet to see either an L-series (doors and fenders) or S-series in Silver, Pewter or other metallic colors with a REALLY nice paint job. On the L in particular, the doors look like they were painted with a spray can... solid colors are fine though. Is this because of the plastic panels?
    (mmspeal) ... and I don't mean your hot tub !
    -Uck ! That nice red VUE ! Shame on you.
    -Actually, I recently rediscovered a car wash near Philly, Jersey side, that I used to go to over 8 years ago where & when I bought my Tracker. Auto with a rub down. My Tracker has it made. The best car wash in the tri-state and cheap.
    -Hate a dirty car. I always get mine spruced before I get it serviced. If they think I look after it, then may be they will do too.
    -I plan to get into the habit of going there regularly on my Wednesdays to Philly especially when that illusive VUE arrives. That's a big bit of body to clean.
    -Your hot tub sounds 'just the ticket'. How's your weather 'out there' where ever you are ? Still hot here with crisp nights.

(jmatero)
    -I dun-know. Even old Saturns still look great and they have done some really great metallics over the years.
    -We'll see.

Later all ...
    I am actually just outside Toronto in a small city called Burlington, right on the eastern shore of Lake Ontario. The weather has been great - very hot and humid summer - up until the past few days. It has cooled off quite a bit.
    Daytime highs are in the low to mid 20's (mid 70's F) right now and night time lows in the low teens (low 50's F).
    Don't worry, I will get the VUE all scrubbed up this weekend. You know ... for the past 8 years I owned a convertible and if I took it to the car wash, I got a shower ... I guess I could go to the carwash now if I find a good one - I've just gotten used to doing it myself!

By the way ... I don't know if it is all Saturn dealerships or not, but everytime I take mine in for service, even just an oil change, they wash it for me and leave a thank you note with mints on the dash.
    Actually Burlington is on the west end of Lake Ontario. I'm sure that's what you meant.
    Yeah you are right Dindak - I am not from here, was tranplanted here a couple of years ago and still get confused with N E S W, especially when I go to Hamilton!!! Thanks
    Where are you from originally. I'm actually originally from the east end of the Lake near Kingston.
    The stupid thing is that I should be used to directions being backwards. I am originally from Windsor where the water (and Detroit) are north. Where else can you be in Canada and be south of the US ???
    (mmspeal)
    -Neat. Sounds like we have the same weather. This morning was the first one where I actually thought of Fall, but it got suddenly cooler after dawn because it was warmer when I started work @ 5:30.
    -I know my Saturn folks do have a "detailer" , but I have a feeling that they charge a small fee. We will see. The ' mints ' would win me over ! I'm addicted to Peanut Chews. I get them by the 4 lbs bag @ Sam's Club ... and I don't share !
    -So Coscos came thru in the end. huh ? What was their ' story ' finally ?
    -I am often tempted to try Coscos over Sam's. Any advise ?
    re:-Penny & Viv ...
    -I wrote to the Saturn CEO, Annette Clayton about Orange/Grey and the Blue issue. A nice letter ... not really a complaint ... but she will certainly know how to make me a very happy, Saturn camper.
    -The 800 folks never got back to me. Sad comment when a Customer Service facility can only handle 'happy' calls, but when you engage them, they go silent. It's a neat trick, but it's not impressive. I have students that do that. It doesn't work. Might surprise (you all), but I can be silent too !!!

(dindak)
    -I had to laugh at you correcting (mmspeal) on her Geography. Boy ! You don't miss a squeak around this Board !! :))))
    -I think the three of us could keep this Board going thru any lull.
    Later all ...
    Actually all of southern Ontario is south of say, Seattle. Windsor is about as far as you can go though.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Where else can you be in Canada and be south of the US ???

You don't know how many times I've tried to convince people that Detroit is NORTH of Windsor! You show them a map then they turn it every which way and still don't buy it! LoL!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • wes19wes19 Member Posts: 48
    My Saturn dealer washes my car anytime I drive it in. I take advantage of it often. Since I could not dicker on the price I show up 3 times a week for a wash.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I thought it had to be in for service??!!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• 56795679 Member Posts: 88
    I hope you don't have to drive very far. don't you have anything better to do?
    Try volunteering!
  • wes19wes19 Member Posts: 48
    What kind of comment is that from 5679?

I work in the same town as the dealer. I can go to lunch, stop in for a car wash, and be on my way to my next place of volunteer service more quickly than if I were to wash it myself.AND my car is cleaner.

And Yes I can show up anytime!!
    (wes19)
    -What kind of comment was that POSTed by 5679 ?
    -SNIDE ! Just ignore it. It's valuless.
    -Keep POSTing. The rest of us want to read/hear what you have to say.
    Later ...
    Seems like our back passenger side door is sticking shut. Anyone else had this problem? Not a big issue but I guess I will have to bring it in.

We went camping this weekend and were visited 3 times by people who wanted to know more about our Vue. Even many months after it's been out, the Vue attracts a lot of attention. We like that!
    Try just looking the rubber gasket that runs along the back part of the door, over the wheel well. I had that problem and then realized that it just wasn't sitting right. I must have moved it somehow when installing the splash guards - re-adjusting was an easy fix without having to take it in.

I also like that fact that the VUE attracts a lot of attention! It is a very sharp looking vehicle.
    I brought it in to the dealer and they fixed it in 15 minutes. No big deal they said, I guess it wasn't. They didn't say what it was but it works fine now.

Saw a yellow special edition on the lot when I was there.
    0% on VUE.. amazing. If they had had that in the spring with CVT availability we would probably be driving one today. Certainly makes the VUE much more attractive than the CR-V.
    I am stunned they would put the 0% on the Vue now. Oh well, we only financed about 1/2 of our purchase price so it would not have made much difference I guess.

Definitely a great deal though.
  • apatiaapatia Member Posts: 36
    Does anyone know the status of the blue vues? I'm thinking about getting a vue, and I'd really like to get one in blue, if possible.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    I know that at our local Saturn dealer they have VUE's piled on top of one another so maybe slow sales are driving the awesome interest rates. Back when we wanted to buy one we couldn't find a 5 speed with the sport plus package to save our life.
  • unlucky13unlucky13 Member Posts: 7
    Anyone know how much a dealer installed hitch is gonna cost? How easy is it to install myself?
    Noticed that 03 CDN pricing and specs are now available. Prices are definitely up a little.

http://www.saturncanada.com
    (apatia)...
    -Blue VUEs is abit of a sore point. I have had one on order for three months.
    -The latests:-
    1) SaturnHP web site has the blue & green listed as "Available soon". Not a good sign.
    2)Every time my dealer orders blue for stock, Spring Hill changes his order to another color.
    3)I am on my third production date, (the latest was 9/23/02), and I still have not heard anything.
    4) The ION has the "Bright Blue" listed in their color palette and it is the only color that is slated for late 2003 delivery.
    5) Saturn 800# folks have no information.

-Nothing here feels good. Sorry.
    Later
  • rusty24rusty24 Member Posts: 4
    I have a2002 vue with fwd vti transmsion it is very good on gas and is one of the most responsive cars i have had in years in passing at highway speeds, have driven v8s v6s &4cyl cars and this one goes pretty good. it takes a little to get used to with no shift points but it is smooth and fast,On the flats it gets 28mpg at 75 to 85 with cruise control on. in traffic i have to control the speed more with brake than with the gas peddle. I hope this transmission holds up ilike it.
    You are the first person on the board with a CVT / VTi transmission, welcome!

So how do you find the power when your VUE is loaded up? My only concern with the 4 cyl/CVT is when I will have 2 kids and a trunk full of stuff driving in hilly areas.
  • airvueairvue Member Posts: 1
    I'm wondering if anyone has had the problem that I am having. My new VUE is hard starting and losing some coolant. It only has 400 miles on it and the dealer will be taking it in tomorrow. Hopefully, it can be fixed! If not, has anyone had any experience with the return policy?
    gehe..
    Thanks for the info, though I'm really disappointed. I'm thinking about purchasing by the end of this year. I don't think a blue vue is in the cards for me if you've been waiting three months.

I too have noticed that saturn dealers in my area have a lot of vues on their lots. I think part of saturn's problem is their extremely, extremely weak ad campaign. Saturn should dump their ad agency, pronto. There doesn't seem to be a cohesive ad campaign that gives the Vue some sort of identity. Those silly ads w/ the big bugs and the safari left me cold. And the new ad w/ the green vue is instantly forgetable.

IMHO, another problem is the vue pricing and packaging. At $23k shouldn't some of those "options" be included? I expected more than power windows for $23k. A $23k Cr-V has side airbags,a sun roof, abs, and in dash 6-cd.

Also, is anyone worried at all about depreciation? As much as I want a vue, I'm concerned that it won't be worth much of anything in 2-3 years.
    (apatia)
    re:-Value ...
    -This will be my first Saturn purchase, but I understand that Saturns generally hold up value wise. They certainly retain their good looks as the years go by.
    -Do consider that GM is copying the VUE for 2005 and calling it the Equinox with a head light style change. They are investing $500 M or B in their Toronto GM/Susuki plant when they discontinue the Tracker. They wouldn't be doing this if it was not a winner.
    -I concur with you on the 'inclusions'. My pet peeve is that ABS are not included. I think that is a ruse. However, I still want my VUE more than anything.

re:- Adverts ...
    -Yup. Those mini VUEs looked silly. The 'no car' new ads are odd.
    -I think they want to expose the three new Saturns as a group. L Series, VUE & ION together and not single out the VUE.
    Later ...
  • rusty24rusty24 Member Posts: 4
    answer to dindak #1894 I took a trip from LA to seattle in july i checked all gas used for trip and each section of trip for 2665 miles i averaged 26.5 mpg i did not have anyone else in car lite load. ihave had a full load of adults ar ound town and could not feel much diferants on the trips ihave gone to mountains here in california the car is very good. the transmission works better than a regular automatic. so far i am satified with car.
    -The BRIGHT BLUE VUE I ordered 6/26/02 is FINALLY due ... 10/10/02 ... next week.
    -I am going in to see it 10/11/02 and see if it's metallic/metal flake and whether or not I am going to take it or go with Orange.
    -Watch this spot !
    Later ...
    I have heard negative thing about the power the CVT has so it's good to hear something positive. I will have to try one someday soon. I'm sure the lack of shifting would be a very strange feeling.
    I went to saturn today. In part to get another look inside a VUE (I haven't seen the inside of one since last year), I also wanted to find out how long it would take to order one.

I told the salesperson that I wanted to replace my vehicle in December, so I needed to know when I should order. I'm particularly interested in 4 cyl manual sport package. Well the salesperson gave me a big explanation about how they weren't aware that the Sport Package was being built until December and that they didn't believe any would be left by the end of October.

Is this true? Will the Sport Package (5-speed manual) Vues stop being built before December? Or was this just an attempt on the salesperson's part to get me to order right now?

I feel I should note that the salesperson also insulted me. She kept harping about the 0% financing. When I told her that I wasn't stuck on 0% because it's so hard to get, she started this speil about how GMAC only finances A,B & C credit BUT, saturn get financing for A B C D & E (emphasis on D & E) credit. Wooo. Should I take this to mean that I epitomize D & E credit? (Keep in mind this woman did not run a credit report, so has no clue about my worthiness).
    For those who have purchased a saturn, what fees did you enter while purchasing? Document fees?Advertising fees? How much were they?
  • enniskillenenniskillen Member Posts: 87
    Hi Gehe

Just a quick note to let you know, there isn't a Suzuki or a G.M. plant in Toronto.

The plant you are referring to is in Ingersol , Ontario.

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2002/09/03/cami020903

• mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    passenger assist grips in the Vue? I cannot believe they don't have them.