Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Odyssey Diesel

dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Member Posts: 223
edited May 2014 in Honda
My next new Odyssey will have a diesel engine. The question is, how long do you think I will have to wait??

Comments

• dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Member Posts: 223
    Could some of you world travelers relay what you see on the streets overseas of a diesel nature. I've heard that the Accord has a diesel in Europe. True?
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    vehicle in Europe has choice of diesel or gas engine.

Honda Civic
    Honda CRV
    Honda Accord (Acura TSX in USA)

All have diesel optional.
  • hangaralf1hangaralf1 Member Posts: 107
    my guess is 2009, perhaps as an '10.  from what i've heard, they're going to put on the trucks first. hopefully, that includes the van. 
    the european odyssey is not what we have here.  it is smaller - i believe based on the original version of the ody.the diesel accord (our tsx - as one of you stated) apparently does 65 mpg.to think maybe my ody could do 40 mpg?if they bring a diesel ody to the states, i'm so there.
  • yeahboyyeahboy Member Posts: 8
    I've read that Honda will come introduce a diesel engine powered Accord in 2009 and a diesel powered Odyssey in year 2010. I'd love to have one, too!

Mileage previews for the Honda Accord diesel is reported to be about 60-plus MPG
  • repoman1repoman1 Member Posts: 64
    You will have to wait 2-3 years for an Odyssey diesel. Odyssey will likely get a diesel one or two years after the Accord. Best case for the Accord is 2009 model year. Most likely Accord diesel will be a 2010 which could be available in late 2009.
    Ridgeline, Pilot, MDX going desel, but no dates
    My laptop was dying and I didn't have time to edit to diesel.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Honda V6 diesel in the U.S. by 2010

According to LeftLaneNews, Honda is developing a "low-emission diesel V6 engine specifically designed for the U.S. market for the 2010 model year."

The engine would be most likely to appear in the Odyssey minivan at first, although installation in Acura sedans and SUVs is a possibility."

According to Nikkei Weekly, a Japanese weekly newspaper, the motor will be designed for vehicles currently using Honda's 3.5 liter V6 engine. Honda is also looking to import its newly developed 2.2 liter four-cylinder diesel engine to the United States. This engine is designed to fit in cars such as the CR-V and Acura TSX.
  • altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    I'm entering the market for a minivan, but am put off by the mileage ratings across the board. Is there any chance that this is going to happen in '10? I'll hang tough if there is...but buying a vehicle that can't break 25 mpg on the highway goes against my "religion."
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Keep in mind that a 2 ton refrigerator box is an inefficient item to push through the air at highway speeds.

Although a diesel powerplant may get it over 25 mpg it will probably cost more upfront to purchase and depending on the price of fuel, cost you more to run. Only you can decided if it's worthwhile.

Around here (greater Boston), diesel in running about $0.60 more per gallon over 87 octane. I'm getting about 21 in mixed driving with my 2000 Ody. I really can't complain.
  • repoman1repoman1 Member Posts: 64
    Posted today, April 6th, on automobilemag.com

Takeo Fukui, Honda Motor Co. President says he will not lower the price of the 2010 Insight hybrid in response to Toyota cutting the price of its upcoming 2010 Prius hybrid. He also said a new hybrid powertain is in the works for larger cars that will take place of a clean diesel engine which was originally planned instead.

In a report from Automotive News, Fukui confirmed that the price of the Insight would not change despite Toyota's decision to lower the price of the Prius. "I don't think that would be meaningful to do so," he said. Many thought Honda might lower its price to engage in a hybrid price war with its domestic rival.

Fukui also said Honda has decided not to proceed with its plans to put clean diesel engines in its large cars. He cites the cost of clearing tough emissions regulations in the United States and Japan as the reason. The more cost-effective solution will be a modified or possibly new hybrid drive system which will instead become the future green drivetrain for big vehicles.

Honda has not said when it will begin to offer a hybrid powertrain in its larger vehicles. Meanwhile, the hybrid sales face-off will take place next month when the 2010 Insight (which reached U.S. dealers last month) will take on the 2010 Prius when it goes on sale.
  • altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    Timing's everything, isn't it? Usually mine isn't that good. Looks like I try and carve out the best deal I can now. Thanks for the news posting.
  • bob757flbob757fl Member Posts: 16
    Well that sucks. I've been waiting for these too. Wonder why Mercedes/BMW/VW are all able to do it but Honda can't?
  • carenthusias1carenthusias1 Member Posts: 1
    Actually, I think Mercedes- Benz diesels don't pass the California standards, so you can only see old Benz diesels. And Honda probably thinks it'd be too expensive to get into all the research for diesel's instead of just develop a new hybrid system.
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    All MB, BMW, and VW diesels sold in 2009 are 50 state legal.
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    Just a heads up on the capability of diesels. Last month we rented a 2004 Ford Galaxy 7 seater minivan that was built for Germany. We had it in the mountains of Serbia and Montenegro for a whole month. It was a 1.9 L VW diesel paired to a 6 speed manual transmission. This van is the size of the older & smaller Ody.

WE AVERAGED 43.5 MPG over the whole month we were using the vehicle! Again, this is with 6 people and packed to the gills with luggage as we traveled throughout the two countries. Of course 0-60 was probably 10 seconds but who cares with that mileage. The problem lies in emissions because the engines over there are not the cleanest. But, just think about this. A minivan getting an average between 40 and 45 MPG! We could go almost 900 miles on one tank of gas! They need this over there because fuel is just under 5.00 a gallon.

I don't know what you guys are seeing as far as diesel rates in your area but diesel is a few cents cheaper then regular in Puerto Rico...
This discussion has been closed.