Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Ranger Stalling/Dying Problems

13»

Comments

• Options
    kopfhunterkopfhunter Member Posts: 7
    I'm interested if your friend was able to fix the problem.

I'm still having the issue but living with it. I only drive my truck about 300 miles a month.

It died once in 4 months and I was overly optimistic that things had settled down. I'm back to once about every 10 to 20 miles.
  • Options
    2confused12confused1 Member Posts: 1
    We are having the same problem with our Ranger. Just replaced fuel pump, several sensors, spark plugs, wires, checked for vacuum leaks. Drove it a couple hundred miles last weekend, no problem. Drove it about a hundred miles on Monday, no problem. Drove it five miles today and it died on the highway. Starts good, runs good then starts sputtering and then dies. Sometimes it will start right away after it dies other times I have to wait.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Can't afford a big mechanic bill right now. :sick:
  • Options
    greywolffegreywolffe Member Posts: 1
    I have an 86 ranger 4 cylinder fuel injected and was having stalling problems OK I replaced about everything related to the fuel system ( relays switches injectors filters everything ) it would jerk and die on me , I was about to junk it when I saw a kind of round thing bolted to frame by gas tank the fuel lines went through it so I took it off and sure enough it comes apart and there was a metal filter inside so I took it out then got it back together and sure enough that was the problem . The thing is not in the Chilton . 237,000 miles on my truck and now except for some minor things it runs great
  • Options
    How often was it dying? When it died, did it start right away?

My Ranger is a stick and I can restart it immediately.

This has been doing this since last October. I only drive it about 250 - 300 miiles a month in the City.

It can die 3 times in 10 miles or go 300 miles and only die once.

I keep a very close eye on my mpg and it was always at 20 1/2 to 21 mpg, until this started. I'm now at about 18 1/2. So, I think something is happening other than dying every once and awhile.

202k miles and does great except for this.

I'm not getting rid of this truck and I'm not spending big bucks unless I'm sure I have a fix.

Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

Thx
  • Options
    fred_mertzfred_mertz Member Posts: 4
    did you ever get to the bottom of this??

my 93 ranger has been driving me nuts for nearly 6 months... you name it, its new.. every sensor but TPS which i have but not installed yet..

chased a bad/intermittant ICM for 4 months finally after having the CPS replaced by my local ford dealer was told to replace the ICM even though it tested good, sure enough truck has been running fine for last 2 weeks..

then all of the sudden yesterday it didnt want to start again. had to crank it a number of times and it finally started and was able to drive it home the 14 miles home and right around the corner from my house it quit, coasted to the shoulder waited a minute and it started back up and i made it home..

went back out last night and didnt want to start again, finally it started drove where i had to go shut it off and it started back up and ran fine once again..
    has new fuel pump and all relays/fuses in power box were replaced back in february, coil packs, complete tune up

not sure what to do now, inertia switch???? fuel pressure regulator???? ignition switch???

quite frankly im tired of throwing money in to it but i have a bear by the tail so to speak..
  • Options
    atomicthunkatomicthunk Member Posts: 4
    This is what I did. I extended the wires going to the ICM and mounted the ICM on the driver's side on the fender wall near the fuse/relay box. I put screws and nuts in the mounting holes and ran wires from them to a good ground.
    I did this for two reasons, the original location is hard to get to and also the ICM stays a lot cooler mounted away from the engine. I am thinking that heat was causing the ICM to intermittently fail. Since I did that, I put on 30,000 miles without a problem. I recently sold my Ranger because of a recent injury made it hard for me to drive a standard. I still see it running around town so I assume it is still running good.
  • Options
    oldvehicle86oldvehicle86 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 86 ford ranger and while i was driving down 95 it just completely shut off on me as is the gas ran out but it had a half of a tank in it. What could be wrong with it? It wont start at all now :(
  • Options
    This sounds different from what I was fighting.

I would guess fuel filter or one of the sensors.

I don't know if there is some sort of cut off valve. In my old T-Bird, had a cut off valve in the back.

Sorry i couldn't be more help.

On my problem: at one year it's still doing the same thing. Need to have someone try the grounding thing. Not much else makes sense.
  • Options
    lacrossesoakedlacrossesoaked Member Posts: 87
    my 91 ranger has a fuel cut-off switch located at the top of passenger side footwell. pull the carpeting back and there it is. supposed to activate when/if i hit a BIG bump or t-bone something. dunno if your '86 has the same thing but easy enough to check and give it a try.
  • Options
    bypassed my inertia switch, still doing it.. last week i also unplugged the new IAC valve and truck ran perfect, thought that was it replaced the IAC and the same problem is back again..

beating my head against the wall, wife wants new car and i want to use this for a trade in BUT i cant do that to someone... i want it running right before i trade it in....

still would like to know if kopfhunter got to the bottom of his problem as his sounds exactly like mine
  • Options
    bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Fuel pump relay. Corrision on the plugs on it?
  • Options
    already cleaned/replaced.... swapped out the MAF again yesterday with one from pick a part.. so far so good, have to run it more.. from what i have found during my research possibly the new one i bought is no good as bad MAF can cause the symptoms i and others are having having..
  • Options
    Nope. Sorry.

It runs and runs and runs. Then I have the problem 5 times in two days.

Going to have my mechanic put it on the computer but we're not optimistic that it will show anything.

Hey, it's only been a year.

If I didn't love this old truck...

Kopfhunter
  • Options
    noticed on mine today that it does it on a heavy bump like pot hole or something like that, does it nearly every time on the same left hand turn and bumps in a small town not far from me..

also noticed that if i try to start it it wont restart UNLESS i turn ignition all the way off and then back to start.. only then will it restart..
    starting to think it may be the ignition switch if that is possible
  • Options
    cellmasscellmass Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    Im not sure if yiu guys are still having issues. But my 95 dodge ram 1500 had the same problem I went through all the sensors fuel pressure was ffinenew coil and coil wire. It turned out to be the wireharness cinnector ti the coil. I rewired it a few times and taped it up but still jogged loose. Well I went to a scrap yard pulled the connector off and rewired it to mine. Runs fine now. Also check your commection to the computer I replaced my compute and she ran fine no stalling that used to happen when I hit a bump or even closed the truck door.
  • Options
    cyrexcyrex Member Posts: 1

I have a 2002 ford ranger edge 3.0. Sometimes when i start it the hazards come on and stay on and the truck will stall out and die. And when i push the hazards on just to see what happens it makes a weird noise. Can anyone help me or have any ideas?

• Options
    stonewalledstonewalled Member Posts: 1
    I have a1994 Ford ranger 2.3 motor 5 speed, I have replaced plugs, wire's & coil packs. Only half of each coil pack is firing, its skipping has no power, loud exhaust inside cab,strong gas smell. I don't no what else to do. Please help 
  • Options
    rodney1113rodney1113 Member Posts: 3
    driving down the road the truck will just die out it's getting fire but it will not start
  • Options
    rodney1113rodney1113 Member Posts: 3
    and fuel is ok also
  • Options
    bryantp46bryantp46 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 94 ford ranger used to run good but now for some odd reason if its cold or motor is cool it has hardly any power you let it idle for a while until a certain tempture and it runs great...... what could cause this????? it just started PLEASE HELP////////
  • Options
    bryantp46bryantp46 Member Posts: 2

you may have carbon build up I have sea form motor treatment and it help. hope this helps

felix

• Options
    michael1159michael1159 Member Posts: 1
    boy oh boy, I am overwhelmed with all the response's. I have been a ranger fan for years but sold my last one due to I needed a box of beer and $50 dollars. And, now there is a new/old one sitting out there I am trying to get running for my Daughter and it has this intermittent fault/short which is driving me nuts.

K, when it dies and it will die all I do is get out and bang the fuse box around with the key switch on and vroom its off to the race's. The problem is there are new relays all around so I was thinking it was a connection so I tore into it and cannot find anything that would lead me to think that I need to epoxy something in place so I am thinking it is a ground short that is located elsewhere, I was soo hoping it would be in the fuse box.

So going back to box of beer truck it was giving me fits. Every time I ran across a ruff part in the road it would cut out and boom it was back a running and it finally quit, like for days and then it would run again. Needles to say it was winter and I had no money so here is how I fixed it. I tore into the brain and found #29? was not grounding so I circumvented the wire plug on with a soldered wire. It ran and died. I tried soldering in two fuel relays and then abandoned them to using just one. All the time I was turning on the key I could hear the pump in the tank run and quit, fine but I could never hear the injectors switch on which is why I was into the brain.

So after driving myself completely mad with this insanity chase I inadvertently had my light tester on the hot side of the battery post and grounded out the fuel relay and it all clicked. I deduced that my fuel pump relay was not sending the brain an on pulse and there fore the injectors would not turn on so my fix was to ground out the ground side of the relay straight to the battery ground and that thing never had another problem.

BUT this new bang the fuse box around has got me baffled so I am going to go after the key switch mechanism to see if it has separated. This has happened to me before and I had to drive 35 miles with the steering coulomb skins off while I held this mechanism together.

Well I haven't really added to this thread sept to say with all this electronic gizmos sending and receiving pulses I have found that it is the ground/s that are usually the culprits and that is my 2 ¢
  • Options
    Dav0Dav0eDav0Dav0e Member Posts: 1
    05 Ford ranger 4.o by Watford 2 yrs fuel smelled like straight varnish.cleaned fuel system .new filter ,fuelpump.3 injectors only ohm out to3 or 4 but supposed to b at 15.truck will accept the gas pedal stalls and is loading up with gas should I clean injectors