Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevorlet Suburban OBD Codes

kellowaykelloway Member Posts: 1
edited October 2014 in Chevrolet
I have a 1999 Suburban. I just had to replace the motor. When I reconnected the battery cables, my stereo theft mode had locked me out. I can't remember the pass code I used on the system. Does anyone know of a way to get around or disable this theft mode?

One more question. I know that on at least some of the 1988 chev vehicles there is a way to put a wire in two of the holes in the diagnostic plug in to read the codes on the service engine soon light. The light actually flashes the codes. Is it possible to do this on a '99 Suburban?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Kelloway

Comments

• jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    I doubt that you could read back the code via the Diagnostic connector since if you can do that, radio car thief could do that too. The radio, itself, stores the code in its memory. The code has to be cleared by any Chevy dealer (wipe out radio memory that has the code). You probably have to pay them at least $50 or whatever for their service.

jt
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    The 99 would be OBD-II, and any error codes can be read for free at an autoparts chain (pep boys, autozone, etc). You can also buy your own readers on sale at the same stores very reasonably priced.
  • 89sigo89sigo Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Chevy Suburban (Late Model) and have a check engine light on. I have an OBD-2 code reader (Autel) and have uised it to read codes in my 1999 Taurus. I've had this Suburban since 2002 and this is the first check engine light I have had. I tried to read the codes but my OBD-2 reader reports a cmommunications error. I have the ignition on but the engine is not running. Is there a trick to reading the codes?
  • srac1srac1 Member Posts: 1
    I shipped my 2005 Chevy Suburban to Saudi Arabia where I work. Then I purchased exact the same radio with GPS from a salvage dealer in MD to replace what is in it as the screen is broken. The salvage dealer does not have the code to the unit and the local dealers in Saudi are refusing to even admit the truck for service.

Now how can I get the code for the unit ?

thanks

Al
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Assuming you have a receipt for your purchase of the radio from the salvage yard, I don't know why the dealership would not agree to get it working for you. It's $$'s for them. If you have no receipt, then it could just be stolen and they would be correct in refusing to help you get this working.
  • ttorres66ttorres66 Member Posts: 1
    what is this code and how do i fix it?
This discussion has been closed.