Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn VUE

dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
Looks like the Saturn SUV will be coming out in
fall 2001 as a 2002 model. See www.saturn.com or
www.saturnfans.com for details. I was wondering if
anyone out there knew more about this SUV. The
pictures look great if it's as good as it sounds,
it may make it into our garage next year. The
official unveiling in October at a Florida car
show.

Details? I want more info!

Comments

• calderwood1calderwood1 Member Posts: 2
    is the new Saturn SUV based on the L series or the S series ?
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    As far as I can tell, neither.

There is a great picture of it in the November Car and Driver. The standard engine is the L-series 2.3L 4cyl. with an optional V6. This SUV looks like a winner in every way. The only bad thing is the name. It will be called the Saturn "SUV".

www.saturn.com has a preview. The official unveiling in next week in Florida.
  • jbrew7jbrew7 Member Posts: 17
    In reading that same article from C&D, I thought they said that the Saturn SUV is expected to be released anytime. I could have just misread the article. I hope its soon, I would really like to get my hands on one of these. It looks really nice and sounds even better.
  • sr_bodysr_body Member Posts: 23
    It's actually going to be based on the same platform as the other S-truck series GM makes - Blazer, Jimmy, Bravada, Envoy, X-Treme, S-10 trucks, the future Isuzu Rodeo, etc. The updated versions coming out (2001-2002 models) will all share the same frame, engine options, & transmission.
  • joer4x4joer4x4 Member Posts: 2
    Good looking! But is this a wannn-bee in terms of
    being a truck? What is space frame construction?
    Is that a frame under there? Don't see anything
    sticking out below the chasis(for a change). Where did the low gear go? Looks like light duty to me. But wish them well. I always liked Saturn and GM. My kid has an 88 Blazer, runs great.
    I agree with you, this is probably no serious off roader. Then again, most SUVs are being built for the suburban family, not the park ranger. I'm sure it will be ok, but not heavy duty.

I really hope this one turns out to be as good as it looks cause I will be in the market for one of these smaller SUVs next year when one of our leases is up. Knowing Saturn, I'm sure it will be fine. Hopefully they will have one I can sit in at the Toronto auto show this year.
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    Given that Saturn, as unnecessary a division of GM as Oldsmobile, has been hurting saleswise of late, is it really in GM's best interest to lauch yet another redundant vehicle? Why another SUV from a company that already markets (by my count) TEN other SUVs, most of which are already duplicates of other divisions' products? Instead of spending more money marketing yet another vehicle that will sit unwanted on dealers' lots, a la L-Series, why not divert that money into making its already existing product line better, and while they're at it, cut some other non-essential divisions as well? (Olds and Buick come immediately to mind.) The SUV market is saturated already, and GM is arrogant enough to think that the world needs another one, and a Saturn, at that.
    GM truly has its corporate head up its [non-permissible content removed], and this new, totally unneeded product is yet another symptom of a greater problem that doesn't look like it's going to go away any time soon. Wake up, GM. We don't want 14 cup holders, glitzy commercials, and touchy-feely love-ins in Tennesee. How about a car whose dashboard screws don't back out of their sockets on a test drive, or body panels that line up correctly, or interiors that don't look like there should be a "PlaySkool" or "Hasbro" sticker on it? How about that, GM? Oh, and while you're at it, get the stylists over at Pontiac off the crack pipe. The Aztek is an embarrasment to your company. That thing is so ugly Peugot wouldn't even want to call it their own. So, instead of launching yet another redundant product, fix the ones you have, realize that people don't buy cars based on blind brand loyalty any more, and give me a reason to buy American again. Thank you.
    While GM does have a lot of trucks in it's line up already, the fact is this is a still growing segment of the industry. Keep in mind, trucks/ vans are 50%+ of vehicle sales. Further, the small SUV market (where GM only has the Tracker at this point) is expected to DOUBLE in the next 5 years. There is absolutely nothing redundant about this truck and Saturn's high customer satisfaction should ensure it's success.

You obviously (from your comments and posts you have made elsewhere) are anti-American car and anti-GM. I don't think your tone is constructive and if you want to be rude, go to the Aztek form where that seems to be acceptable.
    Yeah, I know I got off on a rant. Originally I was merely critizing the Saturn SUV, but it turned into something much broader. Won't happen again, at least in this forum.
    I've never made any secret about being anti-GM, or anti-Big 3 for that matter.
  • michanthmichanth Member Posts: 38
    I'm in the market for one of those SUV pavement crawlers, and I've driven the Escape/Tribute which seems like a fine vehicle, but after looking at the Saturn SUV, I now want to wait for a test drive and then make an informed buying decision. Its definitely on my consideration list.
    I really like the Ford Escape/ Mazda Tribute a lot. These are probably the best smaller SUV choices out there right now. The new RAV4 looks ok, but no V6 is available which is a big drawback. I think it will be a choice between the Saturn and the Ford/Mazda for me.
  • titanfantitanfan Member Posts: 2
    Hi folks,

Here's some Saturn SUV information (and corrections to previously posted stuff).

CHASSIS : All new platform designed spcifically for Saturn SUV. It is not sharing it's frame/structure with the next gen of Blazers, Jimmys, etc. Those vehicles (which will now actually be called Trailblazer, Envoy - no more Jimmy name, & Bravada) are being stepped up a notch to a Durango size to offer a 3rd row of seating. Also, those new gen Blazers, etc. will be getting GM's brand new I-6 engine.

FRAME : Should be body-on-frame, not unibody construction. Will have polymer side panels, like other Saturns.

POWERTRAIN : ENGINES - Base, 2.2L 4 cyl. (also offered as the base engine on Saturn L-series) Optional, 3.0 54-degree V6 (also offered as the option on Saturn L-series). TRANSMISSIONS - Continuously variable transmission (CVT) offered with 4 cyl. engine. Electronic, 4-speed step transmission available with V6. Manual trans also available. FWD & AWD available.

OTHER STATS :
    Length: 181.3 in.
    Width: 71.5 in.
    Height: 66.3 in.
    Wheelbase: 106.6 in.
    Curb weight 3172 lbs. to 3470 lbs.
    Towing capacity: 1,500 lbs. (4-cylinder); 2,500 lbs. (V6)
  • ratoxratox Member Posts: 12
    Check out this website for all the details:

http://www.saturnfans.com/cars/future/suv-features.html

It will have a space frame (unit construction) with full length frame rails. Sort of a hybrid, I suppose. And a five-speed automatic with the V-6. I need to drive one with the CVT for sure. I hope Saturn lets me use my GM Card savings, or they can forget it. Can't let it go to waste.
    It's weird that in the U.S. you can't use the GM card at Saturn. In Canada we can use the GM card on any Saturn, Saab and Isuzu model which makes the points much more flexible. I will be using mine if I buy the Saturn SUV (though I probably won't have many as we just used them all earlier this year).
    I feel the same way (message 14/17) about these vehicles. The Saturn SUV seems a little larger than the Escape/Tribute and RAV4, if the the dimensions given are accurate. I too prefer a V-6 engine as my choice over a 4 banger. These vehicle seem to be hitting the same market area and my current taste trends. I look forward to comparing them - Escape/Tribute/Saturn SUV

WHAT IS THE RELEASE DATE FOR THE SATURN SUV....
    BEST REGARDS EVERYONE.....
    I believe the Saturn SUV will be released late summer 2001.
  • titanfantitanfan Member Posts: 2
    The Saturn SUV should go on sale November'ish 2001.

Also, I think someone also posted that the vehicle will be called "Saturn SUV". My understanding is that the vehicle will have a name of its own, like the Blazer, Explorer, etc. It won't be an alpha-numeric designation like the other Saturn vehicles (a la SC2, L100, etc.) I'll bet the name will be finalized by the Detroit Auto Show in January, if not sooner.
    Since I'm in the market for an SUV now, I wish the Saturn SUV was introduced sooner than the expected "Late 2001 Calendar Year". I hope to see it at one of the auto shows in my area and maybe that will help with the waiting.

Best Regards,
    Michael
  • houtexanhoutexan Member Posts: 28
    I need a SUV very soon, can't wait a year for one. I will be picking up a Acura MDX soon. It's more costly than the Saturn SUV will be but it's not a GM product so it's worth it! What another GM /Ford hater? You bet!

But you have fun waiting for the new Saturn SUV next year. As for me, I'll be driving my MotorTrend SUV of the year home anyday now....
    Talking about apples and oranges bud. The Acura isn't even close to the same class.

Hopefully there aren't as many problems with your MDX as there has been with the Odyssey.
  • sjmcfwsjmcfw Member Posts: 10
    how will it stack up against the Escape/Tribute and the Santa Fe?
    I think it will be very comparable to the Tribute/ Escape. I don't think I would touch the Santa Fe. It's coming from a company with a shaky past and no history of SUVs. I like the new RAV4s though, big improvement over the last one which I thought looked like a frog. I still have over a year to make a decision so the Saturn will be well into it's run by then.
    According to an email I received from the Saturn SUV web site, the SUV has been named the VUE. "The name VUE also will help emphasize that the vehicle was designed with the customers' point of view first in mind."
    A Different Kind of SUV
    A different kind of Name

Well, the Saturn SUV VUE is still on my test drive list for next year!!!

Best Wishes to Everyone

Michael
    After Reading John Clor's Article of the VUE, I all the more want to TEST DRIVE this SUV.....

Thanks for the Info Pocahontas

Cheers
    Michael
  • bowtiebillbowtiebill Member Posts: 17
    In response to post #29 I'd have to say "great job". Might have to have one of those to replace my wife's '99 Jimmy.
    I read an article in the local paper predicting Saturn will push to have this Vue out for late summer. I really can't wait to see this one at the auto show in February. I hope they have one available to sit in.
  • lindseylindsey Member Posts: 41
    Is there really nothing to talk about here? No new posts since January 8th. Or have people taken the Vue discussion elsewhere?
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Perhaps it is because the vehicle is not out yet? Activity should pick up as the launch date approaches.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
    I am very excited about this SUV. It seems to be a great compromise of size, power, fuel efficiency and looks. I am anxiously awaiting the auto show next week so I can finally see one. I only hope I can actually sit in it.

drew is right, activity will pick up when the Vue is closer to the release.
    Could you actually sit in the Vue they had? I have seen the color you are talking about and I agree, I don't like it.
    Thanks for the replies. Before long I'll have an Olds loyalty certificate (good on other GM products as well) and I'm shopping early as usual. I'm looking forward to seeing the Vue at the Tampa car show later this year. Actually, it is my wife's car we will be replacing. She previously had a Saturn SL2 and liked it and Saturn service very much. But she has a bias against SUVs so I will have to sell her on the concept.
    Well, I was at the Houston Autoshow this past weekend and I was able to see a featured Saturn Vue. Of course the bright orange Vue was isolated on a rotating platform and protected from the general public. But they did leave the doors open and looking at the interior and exterior one can easily see its a little larger then the Escape/Tribute. I'm still waiting for that test drive. Good Luck at the next car show.

Michael
    michanth : From what I have read the Vue is suppose to be bigger inside than the Escape. I'm glad to hear that it's true. Toronto auto show is one week from tomorrow.

Did anyone get details on pricing??
    There were no details on pricing at the autoshow.
    Except to say, stay in touch with Saturn. Now in Future autoshows if someone can sit in a Vue and quickly go to the Ford Escape/Tribute and then give us a comparsion of usable space and comfort, entry exit etc... that would be very interesting.

Best Wishes

Michael
  • jmlagascajmlagasca Member Posts: 37
    The Vue will be one of the largest mini sport utes when it comes out, if fact, it may be the largest. I've read from various sources that it's 4 inches larger than the CRV which is 4 inches larger than the Escape/Tribute. This generally means more cubic space inside.
    One of the things I don't like about the CRV, Tracker/ Sidekick and the RAV-4 is the lack of space. The Saturn seems like it will be much better. I like the Tribute/Escape, but I am scared about all the problems I am hearing. I have another year on our lease so I can wait for the Saturn. Does anyone know anything about the pricing?
  • calderwood1calderwood1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi I am in the market for a new tow vehicle for my motorhome, four wheels down. I have e-mailed Saturn regarding this and the response seems to be according to demand. So if you are in the market as I am please e-mail or write to Saturn. I specifically am interested in the VUE V-6 front wheel drive as a tow car. Thanks for any help.At the present I drive a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 as a tow and the quality is poor. So if anyone is interested please contact Saturn and suggest they make all Vue suv's flat towable. Thanks Gil joecpa@digital.net
    Check out www.autonews.com. They have pictures of two new VUE concept vehicles from the Chicago Auto Show. Very cool!!
  • jmlagascajmlagasca Member Posts: 37
    I bought an ES Tribute right before new years and haven't had any concerns since I've gotten it. I do have to schedule a check for the fuel smell problem though, seems like one more recall is in the midst to address this. Otherwise, I love the car! It's great and stronger than the Vue's 170 hp engine. I wouldn't give it up for anything...

Either car would be great, I drove a 93 SC2 for a couple of years and love the car!

If you want to check out some new info on the release of the Vue, check out this link!

http://www.autonews.com/html/main/stories/vue208.htm

Pricing should be very competitive to it's competitors, so expect about $25,000 max when you come to showrooms...

My decision next year will likely be between Vue and Escape/Tribute. I would like a bigger SUV, but with gas prices where they are, I can't afford it. Initial problems should be ironed out by next year on the Escape/Tribute so I think it will be a matter of preference and price.
  • loachloach Member Posts: 246
    I saw the VUE at the Omaha auto show in early January and had a good first impression. Unfortunately it was roped off so I couldn't sit inside or get a good look at the interior. Is anyone else worried that this SUV will be underpowered with only 170 hp? I haven't seen any information on vehicle weight or torque. It's going to be sad if this product is as good as it looks but ends up with a weak V6 like the Santa Fe. I test drove a Santa Fe and was shocked by how nice the ride was, but....it was a bit underpowered. The Tribute has plenty of power, but I'm afraid the ride and noise might not be tolerable. I hope I'm not stuck with spending $27-28k or more on a Highlander or Pathfinder in order to get a combination of refinement and power. Any thoughts?
    The V6 should have plenty of power. I have driven the LS-300 with the same engine and it is VERY good.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    auto show and like the styling. The salesperson was very nice and let people take a peek inside. I feel the 170HP V6 will be plenty for a vehicle of this size. The Escape/Tribute have the weakest 4cyl engine also in this class until the 2.3 arrives. Glad to see more competition, helps drive prices down...:-) Lets hope anyway...
    I see on other boards you've been to the Toronto auto show. How about a review of the Vue? How does it compare to the new Buick SUV?

Lindsey
    Was at the show Friday night.

The Saturn Vue was really nice looking, but you could not sit in it. It was roped off so I could not even look inside. The color was not the best, but the exterior is impressive. I got a very cool brochure with a punch out of the Vue which you can use to picture how it would look in your driveway. I'm not sure if it was a Canadian only one or widely available.

The Rendezvous you could sit in, and it seemed bigger that the Vue. Starting price was just over $33K CDN. Very large interior and attractive interior. Liked it a lot.

Both Rendezvous and Vue will be on my list next spring. Other's I liked include the Escape/ Tribute, Trailblazer, Pathfinder and V6 Suzuki EXT. A lot will depend on gas prices and my budget next year.

Have u seen the Vue?