Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon Noises and Sounds

Comments

• truemoxytruemoxy Member Posts: 2
    The sound you are hearing is coming from your climate control aspirator. It is normal and sounds like a little sneeze or digital camera. It is taking a sample of the cabin atmosphere for the Auto Climate Control.
  • cargeek5cargeek5 Member Posts: 2
    All the sounds you are hearing might be annoying but the sound the comes from my 2008 Yukon XL Denali exhaust is a very pleasing one especially for a full size SUV. It isn't a loud straight pipe but it isn't strained sound like a muzzle on a dog. It wants to make a sound but it just cant. The sound is a low grumble that catches your attention yet it doesn't distract you. The note is something that GM got right on this vehicle!
  • dandanzoodandanzoo Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 Denali with 90k. Its been making a sound and as you drive faster it becomes more high pitched. I had my carrier bearing replaced last year so its not that. Also after it shifts gear it seams to quiet until it shifts again. There are no tranny problems, runs beautifully. Ive been told it could be a u-joint or maybee a wheel bearing. Sounds like its coming from the back to mid. Any info will be greatly appreciated because i will be doing the job myself. Thanks, Dan.
  • rshtrsht Member Posts: 277
    Dan, here is my analysis based on a couple of things you have said in the post "...as you drive faster it becomes more high pitched." & " Also after it shifts gear it seams to quiet until it shifts again.", well, it doesn't seem to be the U-Joint as bad/dried U-joint will cause vibration at certain speeds and/or clunking sounds as you shift in to gear; the high pitched sound per your description doesn't quite sounds like from the Transfer case nor the rear differential/pinion gear as each only spins faster as your transmission shifts in to the next gear (if the sound is from one of these components, the high pitched sound should appear in certain speed rather than changes with the gear shifting); however, it does sound more likely from your transmission. You ask why? Well, in my opinion its because of the high pitched noise goes away after each gear shift then re-appears until shifts in to the next gear and etc... Does the high pitched sounds stays at one particular speed/engine RMP? Once the transmission is in OD (or in its highest gear) do you still hear the high pitched sounds?
  • antifreeeezantifreeeez Member Posts: 9
    have u solve your problem ??? because i pry mine out and disconnected . much better!!
  • antifreeeezantifreeeez Member Posts: 9
    I have the same problem, Have u reach a solution. Mine has gotton so bad now it clunk @30 to 35 miles an hour when i accelerate.
  • momoftwins1momoftwins1 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2001 Yukon XL and I have had a noise that sounds like a motorcycle is reviving up and gets real loud when push on gas(this is the best noise i can compare it too)It is coming from the dash area it seems, :confuse: but doesnt do it all the time and now there is a loud grinding noise when i push on the gas and i could only go 10mph. When I stop the vehicle and tried to go again it was fine. It is driving me crazy and scaring me all at once. Please if any one has any idea please let me know. Thank you so much.
    Some one had suggested it may be the cat converter and to see if my exhaust smells like sulfar but it doesnt smell like that but of gasoline so is that another concern?
  • bigdawg42bigdawg42 Member Posts: 1
    HEY GUYS I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM FOR A YEAR. TOOK IT TO GMC A FEW TIMES AND THEY COULD NOT FIX THE PROBLEM TOOK IT TO MY MECHANIC AND HE REPLACED THE STEERING SHAFT AND IT WORKED. HE ALSO SO SAID THAT THERE SHOULD BE A RECALL ON THIS PART BECAUSE HE HAS SEEN THIS PROBLEM FROM 2001 THRU 2005 DANALI. OUT OF POCKET COST PARTS AND LABOR $241.00.
  • nfenndognfenndog Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Yukon SLT. I love the truck but a rattle just appeared. I have 38K on it and haven't had a problem yet. The rattle sounds like a metal fan blade has something in it. I don't thinkt that's what it is but it's what it sounds like. It doesn't appear till I'm going 35 and it stops when I get over 45 mph. When I slow down to 45, it appears and disappears when I slow below 35. Any thoughts on what it would be?
  • mreadymready Member Posts: 4
    My wife's truck is an 04 Yukon with a 5.3 V8. Engine light came on today, but when I plugged in my scanner to pull the code, nothing happened. Nothing on screen, no scan, Nada. I plugged the scanner into my Silverado and it worked just fine. Cannot find any bad fuses either in the cab fuseblock or under the hood. Any ideas??
    Take a look at the gasket around the rear liftgate. I had the same problem & when I put it back together and glued it back in place, presto! no more road noise.
    I wonder if your scanner is only equipped to pickup the the engine trouble codes, meaning those codes starts with "P"... while the light may be triggered by some sort of body related issues??? Just a guess.
    Never thought of that. Would make sense with the solid idiot light, not flashing. But my scanner should activate anyway when plugged in. I'll have someone at a shop plug theirs in to try. Thanx
    we bought a mercury sable from individual and we had to replace alternator and new battery , and we are having a draining of the battery problem over night. Nothing is left on and we have to unplug it every time we park it. We took it and put it on a DC and nothing is coming up, can the DC read the memory even tho the battery has been disconnected for a long time on the car? also when the car is shut off and keys out of ignition and door open the door dingeris going off even when lights and nothing is on? could this be the problem to our drainage and how do we fix it?? Thank you very much :cry: :sick: :lemon:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Head over to Taurus/Sable Electrical Problems to ask about your Sable's problems. This discussion is about the GMC Yukon.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Thank you for the sight and pardon me and so very sorry. Thank you again for your redirection.
  • tjbcrtjbcr Member Posts: 1
    i have a grinding noise in rear of truck that gets louder as i go faster then softer as i slow down it showed up a few days ago and keeps slowly getting worse, just put new rear brakes on it and checked emer. brakes all looked fine any suggestions?
    It could a number of possibilities:
    1. No sure which year is your vehicle, but, in case yours is one of the later models, the parking brake (brake shoes) are inside the rotor, have you checked that and the cable adjustments as well?
    2. Could there be a small pebble got caught in between the rotor and the brake pad?
    3. Were you able to check if one side of the brakes is hotter than the other side (sticky caliper, or a hard spot on the brake pad)?
    4. Is the dust shield rubbing against the rotor?
    Just a few other things I would check... Good Luck!
  • johnnyh55johnnyh55 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 GMC Denali AWD with 6.0 liter. It has about 82,000 miles on it. I replaced the rear pad about 10K ago. I have it serviced regularly (oil/lube) but have not had the 60K or 70K (whatever it is) service done.

The weather here in Atlanta just got real cold...in the teens and 20s. While driving yesterday, I just started hearing a popping sound coming from the rear of my 04 Denali. After a long drive, I parked and came out of a store....started to go and it seemed hesitant to roll almost like a flat tire but pulsed...smooth, resistance, smooth, resistance, etc. Got out, inspected all 4 wheels, got back in and it didn’t happen again. Then experienced some pretty good vibration while driving too for a minute or so but that has not happened since. Now it just pops from the rear of the vehicle. At first, I was thinking the automatic leveling system but now am thinking a rear u-joint?

Thoughts or same experiences?

TIA
  • chuck120chuck120 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Yukon and the noise your hearing from what i've been told is the self leveling feature your Yukon has.
  • kdemonekdemone Member Posts: 1
    My Yukon has 90k miles and has recently started clacking and smoking upon start-up. The anti-freeze level is also low and there is a gurgling sound when turning and at quick start/stops. I had the water pump replaced but there is still loss of anti-freeze. My mechanic couldn't find anything related to the noise and smoke so suggested a high mileage oil change - done. The problem disappeared for a couple weeks and has now returned. It seem to clatter and smoke most after an extended ride (100+ mile), although has done it with local rides too. Was thinking maybe a small leak in the head gasket and considering a product called "Thermogasket" to seal any leaks.......any thoughts or advice would really be appreciated!!
  • dale49dale49 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    I have a 2005 Yukon 4wd. In the past 4 weeks, I have had the transfer case sensor and the speed sensor replaced, so it now knows what drive mode it's in and stays out of limp home mode. Now it makes 2 different noises. The first and most annoying is a constant metallic rattling/grinding that starts as soon as it starts rolling. The other is a whining that changes pitch with vehicle speed. Neither of these noises are affected by engine RPM, just by the rolling of the car. The first noise seems to come from the right mid-rear of the car. The other I can't tell. It just ticked over 100k on the odometer. Can't find anything loose underneath. Any ideas?
    Kind of suspect you have 2 other seperate issues going on. Pull the right rear wheel and check whether the brake caliper has frozen on 1 side. If the inner & outer pads are not wearing evenly, that is the first problem. The driveline whining is more difficult to trace, but I would first check the u-joints, then possibly the front hub bearings. I've had both of these things happen on mine with similar symptoms. Another possibilty exists that the brake pad wear indicators (stainless steel shims between the pads & the caliper) are touching the rotor due to excessive pad wear on the right rear.
  • gman68gman68 Member Posts: 10
    Have you checked to see if you have a loose heat shield or a bad baffle in your muffler?
  • acrodudeacrodude Member Posts: 10
    I thought the wifes truck was about to throw a rod, but when I put it up on the stands and got under it to listen, the noise was coming from inside the converter on the left side and at the spot where the two pipes join.It sounds like a bunch of chain bouncing around inside the pipes! I think the cat has come apart on the inside and the pieces have now plugged up the wye connection as I cannot get up over 2000rpms.Looks like I'm gonna have to earn my keep and go pull that pipe! I'll let ya know what I find!
  • wrightfamily07wrightfamily07 Member Posts: 1
    We just bought this truck last month. During the time we've had it, it has developed a whirring or a grinding noise on the front driver side. Took it to Les Schwab to have it checked thinking that it was the bearing going out. They said everything was sound. Took it home and put it up in the air in our own garage and pulled it apart and again bearing was great. put it together and went for a drive and it still makes the sound. you can feel it in the floor when your driving. Im out of ideas. anybody got a take on whats going on with my 2005 GMC Yukon?
  • acrodudeacrodude Member Posts: 10
    Sure enough the left side converter had come apart on the inside and plugged things up. So to expedite her getting back on the road, I used...get this...a toilet auger on a drill motor and cleared out the converters on both sides. I will have them both replaced after the first of the year, after things get back to normal around here. The truck runs great and smells like one of my old cars from high school!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    wrightfamily07 ,
    I apologize for your experience. If you are unhappy with the dealer diagnosis I would definitely recommend taking your vehicle to a different dealer for a second opinion. You may even as a technician to go for a ride with you. Please keep me updated on your progress.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • timmydieseltimmydiesel Member Posts: 2
    You may want to put the truck in 2WD to see if the noise goes away. That's the only thing that works on my truck. It was a quiet as a mouse & then the noise started. GMC dealer indicated "no problem found", but did offer to sell me $1000 worth of other services. I believe the issue is the front differential. Either the output shaft bearings or differential bearings themselves. If I run it in either 4wheel drive mode, it's makes noise all day long. 2WD produces no noise at all. I plan on tackling this issue soon & will post if I am successful.
  • river85river85 Member Posts: 4
    I am the original owner of a 2005 Yukon XL. It has approximately 46k mi, only mods are flowmaster cat-back and a hypertech programmer. Over the past couple months I have noticed a noise. It usually occurs in first gear or idle. I initially noticed it when I was parking. If I am driving and pass someone I do hear it but it is very intermittent and I need help figuring out what it is. If I stand outside of the car I can hear it in the engine but also all along the body as well. It is fairly loud. I have a Century warranty so I just want to get an idea of what it is and how bad of a problem it is before I bring it to the dealer for repair. The video I made is under 2 minutes. I appreciate your help! Thanks

The video is at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jeok2fFzBV0
    Anyone???? I really need an expert opinion on the noise I posted above. Thanks
  • sarah37sarah37 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 GMC Yukon. When I am traveling about 10-20 mph you can hear a noise that sounds like marbles in the front left wheel. It is more noticeable when making a turn or especially when pulling into a parking space. I have checked the hub bearing, cv joint, and drive axle and they are all fine. The noise can not be duplicated when it is put on lift thus removing weight from the wheel. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? The noise is getting louder and can even be felt a little in the steering now.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    luvlaughlin,
    I would definitely recommend speaking with your dealer. Please email me and let me know how things go at your dealer. I look forward to your response. Enjoy your weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Hi, Brought my truck to the dealer. Century warranty inspector was out yesterday. The inspectors report said that the hard grinding noise was heard in first and in second but completely disappeared in 3rd and nothing in reverse. The inspectors conclusion was that it's needle bearings and planetary washer problems and it would be more cost effective to put in the SRTA than teardown. So, the dealer is putting in the SRTA this afternoon, should have it back at the end of the day. I hope it works out! Thank you.
  • bdealvabdealva Member Posts: 4
    My wife's 2001 Yukon Denali XL just developed a whining noise that is most noticeable just in front of the left rear wheel when the car is idling at a standstill. I suspect the fuel pump.

I would like to hear from others that may have experience with this symptom. I am also looking for a step-by-step procedure for replacing the fuel pump. I know the gas tank has to be removed.

Thanks for any assistance!
  • sandra83sandra83 Member Posts: 1
    Hi , I just bought a 03 Yukon and when I turn a poping noise comes from left front tire and steering wheel I am worried I made a bad purchase can someone please tell me if they know what it is.... :(
  • timmydieseltimmydiesel Member Posts: 2
    Hi, a popping noise is a little bit vague and there are a lot of working pieces in that area, so I'm wondering when this is actually happening. Is the noise present when you turn left? Turn Right? Is this a FOUR WHEEL DRIVE vehicle? You mention that you feel it in the steering wheel which leads me to believe you may have 4WD. You truck will almost feel as though it's "Hopping" during hard left turns if you are in AUTO, 4 HIGH or 4 LOW. If you want to "test" this, change the selector to 2 HIGH and go for a drive. The condition should go away. My two cents worth based on the information you provided, but at least it gives you something to go on.
  • trimblemantrimbleman Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I own a 2004 Yukon. We recently were on a 2.5 hour trip and started hearing a noise that was more of a thud every once and a while. There did not seem to be any pattern to when the noise would occur. We took it to a garage and they could not even hear where the noise was coming from. We next took it to a transmission shop who thought it might be coming from the transfer case. Guess what....Murphys Law....the noise is NOT coming from the transfer case. We disabled the 4wd and drove it all weekend. The noise is still there and now it occurs at lower speeds than the 65 mph I was originally driving at. I am supposed to take this to FLA next week and I am getting really nervous. Can anyone help with ideas on how to trouble shoot this? I know we had some work done on the heat shield a while ago. That use to rattle something awful when the car was hitting a certain rpm on the tach.

thanks
    -KM
  • jime11jime11 Member Posts: 2
    Trimbleman, I also have a 2004 Yukon, and it started making a loud banging noise at higher speeds (over 55mph).

Did you ever find out what was the problem? It is intermittent, and seems to occur after going over a bump. It will last only once, to continuous for 10-20 seconds then stop.

I am wondering if it is a bad U Joint. I can not tell exactly where it is coming from but seems to be center or Front left. It is not tied to engine RPM, because I put it in neutral as it was doing it and did not stop.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any ideas on what to check?
  • mrjohnbmrjohnb Member Posts: 9
    Hello All,
    I have the same issue as the two post above me. but no one has responded on them. Looking for some insight.

When driving over 55mph there is an intermitten loud clang that seems to come from the left front of the vehice. is soulds like someone is hitting the axel with a mallet. you can feel it thru the floor boards. I do not drive the vehilce any longer and looking for advise to fix on my own as I cannot afford the dealer of even mechanic right now. I am mechanically inclined and don't mind getting into minor job. ( a major job being a tranny rebuild....)

I am wondering if someone has had the excat same experiance and can advise that the issue was. Wheel bearing??, Ujoint. locker?? or ????

thanks for your time,

John
  • jime11jime11 Member Posts: 2
    Follow-up: my problem was a bad u-joint.
  • ando4ando4 Member Posts: 2
    I have changed out the front drive shafts,, No luck
    I have changed out the front beardings... No Luck
    I Have changed the fluid in the front differential.. No Luck
    I had the fluid changed in the Transfer case... No Luck...
    I checked the brakes for anything binding.. No luck
    I replaced the upper steering shaft... No Luck...
    I did find a post like mine where it was fine cold but after about 15 to 20 miles it started to make the noice when turning left or right.. forwards or back.

That post said it was probably the viscus clutch in the transfer case...

Anyway I took the vehicle into the shop so they could have the transfer case sent out to a local bearing shop for rebuild...
    They said the clutches we shot... and almosted welded together... About a $1200 rebuild cost + labor and fluid.. but at least the mystery is over... Now we can go into a parking lot and park without any issue...

Oh by the way my Yukon had 180K miles on it but drove it about 40K miles trying to figure this riddle out...
    I hope that helps out...
  • bluegrokbluegrok Member Posts: 1
    94 Yukon, when ever I turn the key on or off I hear a thumping noise under the passenger side of the dash that lasts for about 10 seconds then quits. I am not having any trouble with climate control or anything else I can see, any ideas? Thanks for your time
  • misfitkidz2002misfitkidz2002 Member Posts: 2
    I had the misfortune of losing my old (favorite) truck to a head on collision. Lacking funds and only getting what we could out of the insurance company we had to settle for a vehicle about the same age as my truck. With that said, we bought a used 2002 GMC Yukon Xl, 5.3L, 2wd truck. We have had the vehicle about 6 months now and the truck has developed a knocking noise at very low speeds when the engine and drive train are not tensioned. Basically the noise happens if you were ghost riding your truck thru a parking lot. As soon as negative tension or positive tension is applied to the drive train the knocking noise goes away (when power is applied to speed up or breaks applied to slow down). I have read all about 4wd versions adn front end issues with steering shafts etc but I dont have a transfer case or front end half shafts and CV joints to worry about. My dad thought it might be the universal joints on the drive shaft but I figured if they were going out you would be able to manually jog the shaft when it is parked and either visually or thru touch, feel any slop in the joints. My initial thought before I crawled under the truck was a drive shaft carrier bearing wearing out but the drive shafts dont have carrier bearings so without pulling the entire drive train apart I am struglling to diagnose. Was wondering if anyone else out there was having similar knocking sounds with a 2nd generation Yukon XL (00-06) that isnt 4wd??
  • trelatrela Member Posts: 1
    About a few months ago when driving at 110Km/h there is a loud deafening howling noise that disappears at 120km/h. it only happens for those 10 km at that speed driving me crazy. i got the shocks replaced and bearings done...driving me nuts..any help would be appreciated.
  • phochephoche Member Posts: 5
    2000 Yukon XL. I had my BIL change my struts and ever since, I've had a strange clunking sound near the rear left. It sounds like the spare tire is swinging back there but the tire is well secured. I've removed the jack and tools from the jack compartment to be sure it isn't them and the noise continues. Any rough road that makes the truck rock a little, sets it off. We noticed when we were loaded down that the noise vanished, but even though we loaded down today, the clunking is worse than ever. Ideas on how to isolate?
  • mrjohnbmrjohnb Member Posts: 9
    Hello Friends.
    I have a Yukon XL with about 138,000. I bought it at 129,000
    DID the Transmission 5,000 ago.

Anyway I keep hearing this sound and it's driving me crazy. I am pretty mechanically inclined.
    nor me of my friends can figure what it is on test drives when it happens.

I can best describe the sounds as a fast repeating clicking / thumping / sometimes skweeking . it will repeat the clicks about 5 times. really fast.

Sometimes when I am driving it sounds faintly like I am going over the dot reflectors on the highway at about 55MPH. When I am going slow with the window down. sometimes I hear a skweaking componet to it that sounds like a seagull

I am convinced this is electronic and not bushings / chassis.
    It does not seem to affecting the drivetrain or handeling when it happens. and it completey random. or at least I have not put a pattern to it yet.

The last time it happened was yesterday. I was doing about 35mph and hit the brake to slowdown for a lefthand turn. while under braking I got the 5 repeated sounds.

note this doesn't always happen during braking. most time time just while driving.

I welcome anysuggestions.

thanks,
    John
  • salespro2013salespro2013 Member Posts: 2
    So I have a 2002 Denali XL When I try to park and turn sharp into a parking space sometimes I hear a really loud pop coming from the front somewhere. I can feel it though the steering wheel to! It doesnt do it every time but its starting to bug me. Any help????

And Any ideas on where to find Denali parts for cheap online? guys ? Thanks! :confuse:
  • misfitkidz2002misfitkidz2002 Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like a ball joint or steering linkage issue. Is it 4WD or 2WD? Doesn't sound like a CV Joint problem but if 4WD it might be just that. Is it one pop or a loud clicking noise