Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Comments

• electronixelectronix Member Posts: 2
    Looks that they wanted to match the xd2(elantra) with the new sonata...

I dont like that match :sick:
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    This is being discussed here:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f108bb3/211

Perhaps the two thread could be merged.

I have been told the version for North America will be slightly different than the version from the home market. It will debut at the NAIAS in January along with the production Genesis/BH.

The interior looks amazing, and while I am still warming up to the exterior front, it looks good at some angle. I am reserving full judgment until I see this in person. Fuel efficiency and power are both expected to be bumped which are great pluses.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    No you are wrong. It's debuting in Chicago.
    SE and limited get an all new wheel design. i4 and v6. Pricing was announced just recently. Limited gets a standard sunroof. Limited means loaded for this model. Navigation is the only option on the limited. USB/Aux input but no standard bluetooth. Probably another blueconnect system. Might have to wait until the next gen for factory installed bluetooth. Maybe it might get optional factory bluetooth. New wheels might be avaliable.
  • southsider1southsider1 Member Posts: 5
  • rdillierrdillier Member Posts: 71
    Any word on when Hyundai will make a diesel engine available for the Sonata or any other of its vehicles here in the U.S.? I can't wait to go biodiesel and tell OPEC to go drink its oil!
    Maybe not this generation. Maybe in Model Year 2011. Veracruz might get it 2010. Who knows. Hyundai is workig on getting the v6 diesel for the veracruz for the USA market. The veracruz diesel makes 237 Hp and over 300 lbs-ft of torque. i4 diesel might be in the works as well. Hope this helps.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Car & Driver compares the 2009 Sonata Limited to the Accord EX, Altima 2.5S, Malibu LT, Camry LE, Fusion SEL, and Avenger SXT (all I4s) in their March issue. Has good info and some photos, including a clear shot of the new (and very good looking IMO) interior and the new nose.

P.S. In the comparo, the Sonata slotted in between the Malibu and the Camry in the order listed above--Accord first. But the review was overall very positive towards the Sonata, except for a desire for less body roll and a stiffer platform (ala Accord or Altima).
  • howard18howard18 Member Posts: 53
    Supposedly it's going to be released after the chicago auto show. Pricing has been announced. LG voice activated Navigation will be an option on the limited. Bluetooth won't be avaliable at launch. USB/Aux input will be avaliable. The limited model only has navigation as an option.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Is factory installed bluetooth coming at all and will the 4 cylinder get a 5-speed automatic or keep the 4-speed?
    I have seen conflicting claims about 5-speed and 4-speed automatic for the 4 cylinder models.
    Bluetooth is much less expensive than navigation, so I'm surprised they would delay bluetooth rather than delay the nav instead.
    C/D confirmed in its 2009 Sonata Limited I4 road test (March issue) that the automatic is a 5-speed. No mention of Bluetooth in that review, and the test car didn't have nav but the article stated I think that nav was the only option (moonroof is standard on the Limited for 2009).
    Looks nice except for the new headlights.
    It has USB and nav, so I can't believe it still doesn't have factory installed bluetooth even on the top models. More people will use bluetooth than USB and most people will pass on nav if it's $2000.
    Navi is less than that. Rumored to be in the 1,250 to 1,750 range with the latter being more likely. Supposedly they have made it 1,250. Thats cheap for navi. I still would like to see bluetooth. I'm sure they will offer a simple blueconnect system that doesn't integrate with the radio. I'm sure quickconnect will offer a harness for the parrot kit.
  • pteiuppteiup Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know when will the 2009 Sonata be available in California??? The autoblog has the press release saying that "The 2009 Sonata will be available at Hyundai dealers later this month. " Is that possible??
    Yes they did say later this month. They are already in production. Pricing has already been announced. Late february does sound pretty ambitious but you may never know. I hear there are some in a NJ port. I believe they could already be in transport. One dealer employee found an invoice for 2.

The March 08 Car and Driver has a comparo where the 09 Sonata was tested over it's rivals. Did 4th place behind the new 08 Malibu. That model was a limited 4 cylinder with out nav.
  • fullback100fullback100 Member Posts: 18
    I don't know why professional auto reviewers look for sport ability when it comes to family sedans.
    Why would Sonatas be at a NJ port? Wouldn't they be shipped by rail from Alabama? Do they actually ship these by sea around the U.S.?
    Some mags are oriented to "enthusiasts" so sporty handling and acceleration are important to them. Other mags like CR put more emphasis on safe handling (e.g. emergency maneuvers) than "sporty" handling on family cars. To each his/her own. Just something to keep in mind when reading professional reviews/rankings.
    I hear NJ is for Canada and east coast shipments from Korea. Supposedly hyundai has a nice operation over there. It's probably on the railways already. When it gets to the railport then they truck them to dealers.
    So you are saying some Sonatas sold in the U.S. (east) and also in Canada are sourced from Korea? I didn't know that. I thought the Sonatas from the ROK stopped coming over here a couple of years ago. And I heard also the Alabama plant wasn't running at full capacity, so I am surprised to hear that Hyundai would ship Sonatas from overseas.
    Umm I think it's for the USA plant as well. I haven't seen any KDM built sonatas but I do think they use it for some models.
    Does anyone know if they will be under the center armrest or behind those cubby doors in the lower dash?

If they in the dash cubby, that would be a pretty good place to mount a portable gps with bluetooth. All you would need to do is shut the cubby doors when you park to hide it from view. No need to move or unplug anything.
    It would be better if it was up higher so you don't have to look down when you want glance at the map, but it would be usable and you would be able to get both navi and bluetooth for much less than the factory nav unit that doesn't include bluetooth.

You could get a Garmin 880 if you want voice control and can spend $999.
    http://ces.cnet.com/8301-13855_1-9843176-67.html

Costco has the Garmin 360 with bluetooth on sale for $249 online now.

If the ports are in the armrest, it could still work but it would be more awkward. You could mount the gps in the cupholders, but it would be more difficult to see and you would have to put it back under the armrest every time you parked so it wouldn't get stolen.
  • aneeshaneesh Member Posts: 43
    I have a 06 Sonata GLS. It is a great car, the only thing I am not fond of is the green lights and the grey plastic...but the 09 Sonata's interior is really good looking better than the Camry and Altima.
    But i don't understand why did Hyundai dismiss the GLS V6 after introducing it for 2008?
    I have been looked around and cannot find any released date on 2009 sonata, anybody know??????
    Hyundai is saying later this month.
    Hyundai has offered the Sonata GLS with a V6 for many years, even before the current generation debuted in 2005. Why do you think that the 2009 GLS will not be offered with a V6 option?
  • aneeshaneesh Member Posts: 43
    FOLLOW THE LINK
    link title

I correct myself the 09 Sonata will have a GLS V6 and PZEV models.
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    My local dealership still has a dozen unsold new '07 models, and a handful of '08s. If they get the '09s this spring, they could have brand new models from three different model years on display at the same time.
  • choe13choe13 Member Posts: 348
    I just read the car and driver march mid size sedan comparison and i just laughed because of dumb criterias like "got to have it" factors the sonata was placed 4th. It scored the highest along with the accord on factors that really matter in a midsize car such as driving manners, value, interior, trunk space etc totals at 81 points, in the powertrain department only 2 pts off the accord and altima at 41 compared to 43 and had alot of 7's in the handling department compared to the accord and altimas 8's. But if you take out the dumb criterias such as gotto have it factors the sonata actually tied for third with the the malibu with just altima and accord just merely ahead

Car and driver imo is too biased on performance critereas which these cars shouldn't pretend they are; sports sedans. Does it matter greatly a family midsize can nail a pilon test or go 0-60 in 6 seconds?? Who drives like that in these cars must get real and buy a real sports car.

Simple truth is that if meaninful critereas of what a family car should embody such as quiet ride, decent performance, safety, space, trunk space, back space, value are placed higher than pure performances critereas without the ridiculous got to have it factor also the sonata would have won or been top two.

I've seen the altima crumble under crash test(who wants to drive this car??), feel hondas ride is too stiff and interior way too crazy, the malibu not ready in the quality department to place the

Sonata first
    Accord second
    Malibu Third
    Camry Fourth
    Altima fifth
    Fusion 6th
    Avenger 7th
    Anybody see the GLS interior before? all the picture i seen are Limited Ed. with Navigation.
    Some dealerships have them already:

http://forums.thecarlounge.com/zerothread?id=3666691&page=2

The details are outstanding!
    I actually like the exterior of the GLS better than that of the Limited--less chrome. Looks like the wheel covers are carry-over from '08. Even the base dash looks sharp!
    I see it's under the armrest.

Edmunds.com has the pricing up for the 2009 Sonata, and it shows Bluetooth as being a $325 option.

There are price increases for 2009, so that for example the base GLS with AT starts at $19,995 including destination. Still less than Accord or Camry, or a comparably-equipped Malibu, but getting closer to those cars in price. Interesting strategy on Hyundai's part. I guess we'll soon see how far the brand has come.
    I hope it's not a mistake since there is no reference to bluetooth on any of Hyundai's official info and I hope it isn't a Hyundai dealer installed option that isn't fully integrated (like the Honda accessory bluetooth available for Accords without nav).
    It would be great if factory bluetooth is really available for the 2009 Sonata because it would be the closest to the ideally equipped car for me for the money.

I bet it's a dealer accessory add-on though.
    Edmunds is usually pretty accurate on their pricing data. I guess we'll have to wait and see what hits the dealers.

I noticed that Fitzmall is pricing their first few incoming 2009 Sonatas at MSRP, at least for their "delivered value price", and just a small discount for their "internet price". Can't recall the last time I saw them do that on a Hyundai. In contrast, they are already pricing their incoming 2009 Corollas at invoice. Whoda thunk... bigger discounts on the all-new Corolla vs. a refreshed Hyundai. But we'll see how long that kind of pricing holds up. Not long, I'll bet. Tough market out there.
    I'm pretty sure it will be a dealer accessory because it looks like the option codes for factory options are number codes and the option codes for dealer accessories like floor mats, wind deflectors and the bluetooth are letter codes.
  • juxtojuxto Member Posts: 16
    There are price increases for 2009, so that for example the base GLS with AT starts at $19,995 including destination. Still less than Accord or Camry, or a comparably-equipped Malibu, but getting closer to those cars in price. Interesting strategy on Hyundai's part. I guess we'll soon see how far the brand has come.

I was actually considering a hyundai - for the first time ever. When I saw the prices I came to the obvious conclusion that it would not be a good idea. In a few years down the road I am sure that it would be a horrible financial mistake. I wish hyundai well, but think they may be more impressed with their product than the market.
    Looks like it will be a Blueconnect dealer or port installation in the headliner or sunglass holder.
    The speaker and the microphone are integrated in one unit, so it just needs to connected to power.

I see it's offered on other 2008 Hyundais (like the Elantra and Azera) for the same suggested price of $325, but they do not specify that installation charges are included for $325.

Blueconnect looks OEM integrated with color matching to most interiors when installed and works well, but the disadvantage is that it isn't integrated into the stereo so you don't get caller ID or audio through the stereo. You will need to use your phone screen to see caller-id and you will need to mute the stereo yourself when a call comes in. You can mount your phone with a vent mount or cup holder mount image so you can look at caller id without picking up the phone or maybe use custom ring tones on your phone so you can hear who it is by the ring tone is if one of your contacts are calling.

You can phone dial new numbers and contacts with voice tags by voice.

See the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuEBnhw_LHs
    What is the difference between this to the Bluetooth capable GPS??
    What other cars are you considering? How long were you planning to keep your next car? With those answers, you can do a financial analysis. One thing to keep in mind is that most dealers will try to get MSRP or close to it for a new model, but soon the discounts and rebates will reappear. The Sonata is in a very competitive market, so IMO Hyundai won't be able to sell the 2009 Sonata for near list price for very long. If we look at the launch of the then-new-2006 Sonata as a guide, it took only a few months for large discounts and rebates to appear on that car. I predict the same thing will happen on the 2009 Sonata once the supply of 2008s is gone and the "gotta have the latest model" buyers are satisfied.

So looking at history, I think it's reasonable to assume that within a few months, you will be able to get $4000-5000 off list on a 2009 Sonata. Those are common discounts on the 2008s now. For example, a well-equipped GLS AT (with convenience package) would then be around $16k +/-. What other car in its class offers what the Sonata does at that kind of price? And if you buy the car at a good discount and keep it for a few years, the financial picture won't be any worse and may be better than if you were to buy something like an Accord. But run the numbers for yourself.
    You won't have theft concerns and hassle of hiding a portable GPS and then pulling it out everytime you get in the car even when you don't need the GPS function (so you will have access to the gps's bluetooth for phone calls),
    The microphone placement in the ceiling would be better than where you would need to put a portable gps (so callers should hear you better)
    You can dial any phone number by voice ("dial 555-7683").
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    When considering resale value there are many variables.

How old is the (model year) of the car? How many miles? What was the actual purchase price (not the MSRP)? How has that year make/model stood up? What is the current make/model selling for new now?

As new model years go up in price that tends to bolster the used car value of the same model.

Hyundai seems to be increasing its MSRP quite a bit recently. Our 2007 Sonata SE purchased 50 weeks ago had an MSRP of $22,005, we paid $16,651 plus fees & tax for OTD @ $18,189. The increased price for the '09's will keep up the used car value of the '07 (and my '05).
    If you look really carefully, you can see the Blueconnect in the overhead console of this Veracruz and the article refers to Blueconnect by name. That confirms it.
    The only question that remains is if $325 is the installed price or just the price of the accessory part. You can order the part yourself for $249 at Amazon.com if all you get for $325 is the part and you still need to pay an hour of dealer rate labor to get it installed.

http://autosupermart.com/store/shop/news/PR/2007hyundaiveracruz.html
    What makes you think installation wouldn't be included for the $325 asking price? Installation is included on other dealer-installed options that are listed along with the Bluetooth.
    Because when I build a car on the Hyundai web site and go to the accessories section it says in small print at the bottom of the page:

"All prices are suggested and dealer prices may vary. Installation of accessories is extra."

Some of the accessories are things like floor mats and cargo mats that they will "install" for you for no charge.
    Or in other words, "Installation is negotiable." ;)
    Anybody use the Blueconnect before? how is the sound quality in Highway?