Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Navigation System

rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
edited March 2014 in Hyundai
The 2008 and up Santa Fe can now be equipped with an LG/Hyundai Navigation system. Use this thread for any tips, tricks, feedback, and questions on this new GPS unit. It's one of those double din flip down units.

6.5" LCD touch screen Display
8 GB CF card for map data
Tons of POI's
Navteq Map Database
voice and visual prompts
Single Disc CD/MP3/DVD Player
605w 10 speaker Infinity Logic7 audio System
AM/FM/XM/CD/DVD/MP3 capability
No Rear seat DVD player
Plays DVD's while in park from what I have heard.

Enjoy!

Comments

• mcq1mcq1 Member Posts: 103
    What about bluetooth capability?
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    Are they actually in production? Are there any pictures? We've been hearing about this for a long time but AFAIK no one has actually seen it. I'm hoping that the 2008 unit can be retrofitted to my 2007.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    That will be a Blueconnect unit that is seperate from the navigation unit. It doesn't integrate with the speakers. It has it's own speakers.
  • oscar_gataoscar_gata Member Posts: 96
    The navigation system is not designed to be retrofitted to a 2007. The navigation system requires the Infinity audio system but does not have an output for the rear seat DVD.
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. :( I keep hoping, anyway.
  • needforspeed29needforspeed29 Member Posts: 13
    I'm looking at purchasing a portable GPS Garmin Nuvi 660, which has a FM transmitter. I was curious to know if anyone has purchased this unit and had any luck with the transmitter being able to transmit the bluetooth and all other functions through the car's audio speakers. I think this is a great alternative to purchasing a factory navigation at a fraction of the cost. Any luck with FM transmitter on '07 Santa Fe's? Any thoughts or comments?
    The aux jack that Hyundai was going to offer for the Santa Fe was a FM modulator system. Based on that, it would seem that the Santa Fe wouldn't have any problems with FM transmitters.
    You can get a navigation model if you like. It's on sale. The brochures and website show pictures of it. I hear it's a very nice unit.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptc452pzrmU

Demonstrates the veracruz version but Santa Fe is the exact same unit. Hope this helps.
  • ttartttart Member Posts: 7
    I just took possession of my Santa Fe with the factory nav. What an easy system to operate. In my last car I had an aftermarket system (Eclipse by Fujitsu 10), and this one is much easier to get around and figure out. Absolutely love it!
  • art___vandelayart___vandelay Member Posts: 2
    Did you find a workaround regarding the need to OK the warning each time you start the car?
  • silky33silky33 Member Posts: 2
    Hi guy,,i am from malaysia,,and i just install the 2 din dvd player with navi sysytem,,the core base is window ce 5.0. I am currently run igo8 which is really nice

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee190/silky33/09102008303.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee190/silky33/DSCN4363.jpg
  • tagartagar Member Posts: 1
    Hi Silky,
    Soon I'm getting one the same model you have. I only want to know if your TV is working and how was the TV antenna installed? Is it inside the dashboard or the antenna is just left over the dashboard? Your GPS Igo map is cool! Does it save settings on the SD card?
  • ElPipoElPipo Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to update the Santa Fe's GPS map? The map that came with my vehicle seems to be at least one or two years old. It does not have several businesses that were built in my area, and it also does not have some homes that were built in the last three years.
    Try these people :) :

https://www.mapnsoft.com/index.asp

[11/20/2008] Map Update

Good News, the long awaited map updates will be available for sale on January 31st , 2009. More Information will be available soon.

Enjoy!
  • JonahanJonahan Member Posts: 2
    I called the people at MapnSoft... As you say, maps for sale in January, 2009. What you didn't post was their whopping price tag: $200. You can buy a nice Garmin setup for $200 these days. I don't know what they're thinking...
  • silky33silky33 Member Posts: 2
    hi tagar,,,sorry for late reply..

The TV antena booster is place the top left corner of the windscreen. however the frequency receive is not as good as other DVD player. The search point start from 48:00 upward.

the igo8 run smooth, just copy the software from rapidshare and country map,,,you also can download the poi which compatible for google pin poi as well. all the data just put on the sc card. if you have problem pls e-mail me tehhuanloong@gmail.com
  • srz948srz948 Member Posts: 75
    $200 for the update is ridiculous. I would hate to spend that kind of money to find out all they added were several new McDonalds locations to the data base.
    It's not that ridiculous if you pre order. If you order from mapnsoft.com and use the code PRE1 before 1.31.09 you get $80 off. The update is now available for pre order.
  • jimh20jimh20 Member Posts: 2
    Map update for a 2008 vehicle that just came out with the gps system! that's nuts, they get $200 for the update. it's a brand new vehicle with a brand new system!!
  • jimh20jimh20 Member Posts: 2
    It's a new vehicle with a out dated map!! Even $120 is insane.They just started offering the gps in 08 and it's out dated already!! They charge around $1700 for the system and if you want a map thats not at least 3 years old, you have to spend another $120-$200.
  • LisaDLisaD Member Posts: 50
    My question is - in a Limited with Nav, either 2008 or 2009, can I simply add a backup camera? Does it have the available port on the unit or do I have to yank the whole thing and replace it with aftermarket?

I'm having a heck of a time finding this information. Also, does anyone know the resolution of the screen?

Thanks for any help.
  • JonahanJonahan Member Posts: 2
    Certainly you cannot simply add a backup camera to the 2008 Limited w/ Navigation. You can't do ANYTHING with that unit... In fact, you can't even replace it with an aftermarket stereo... at least not without rewiring the entire car.
    Found out something. It's my understanding the Azera, Santa Fe, and Veracruz all share the same Nav unit. In the 2009 Azera if you upgrade to Nav, you lose iPod integration (3.5mm & USB). No lie.

So if The Santa Fe and Veracruz have the same Nav, wouldn't they suffer the same fate? It's so ridiculous I almost can't accept the possibility.
  • sunshine72777sunshine72777 Member Posts: 1
    Hi - Just picked up a new '08 last week with the Navigation System. Love everything about it. Does anybody know where I can get a detailed User Manual for the Navigation System? The Hyundai Santa Fe Owners Manual doesn't seem to go in much depth.

Thanks Much : )
  • np45np45 Member Posts: 7
    Silky,
    Iinstalled the same unit which works fine except that I can't get the GPS to work the SD has a corrupt file on it so it dead. How do I go about uploading the SD or were can I get a copy of the software with purchasing and new SD map. I purchased a new 2gig SD card for a clean install. Had the unit installed now for over a month. It's great and added a nice touch the the dash. ;)
    The user manual for the Navigation System is a separate book enclosed with the owners manual, warranty info, etc. If it wasn't in there contact your dealer.
  • tom_santafe09tom_santafe09 Member Posts: 5
    I have a new Santa Fe Ltd with navigation system. There are no phone numbers in the system which I assume should be present if I'm going to located a business by phone number. The special navigation manual that comes with the car has no details - pretty useless.

anyone have any ideas?
    I have a new Santa Fe Ltd with navigation system. There are no phone numbers in the system which I assume should be present if I'm going to located a business by phone number. The special navigation manual that comes with the car has no details - pretty useless.

anyone have any ideas?
    You enter the business phone number and it gives you the route to the business.
    The problem is there are no business phone numbers in the navigation system. I finally tracked down the manufacturer of the navigation system and called them. They confirmed that this feature does not work in their navigation system. There are no phone numbers loaded.(at least for the Chicago area)
    Just curious, has anyone purchased the latest update and did they find any real benefit to the navigation system in doing so? Thanks.
    The 2010 will have an all new navi system. It has a higher resolution LCD and should support XM and maybe DVD. It will finally support iPod's if you purchase the iPod USB cable.
    Sadly the 2010 Limited will lose it's audio system and go from 10 speakers to 7. Less watts, everything. They are putting back the storage cubby where the center speaker is, etc.

Still, I wish it was out already to have a look-see. I have a clunker I 'should' act on.

I thought the Infinity Logic7 sounded great. Am I alone on that?
  • jnojrjnojr Member Posts: 5
    I just got an '09 Limited with a navigation system. After I got home, I realized that the book they gave me is not for the system I have. The book is for a system with a CD player at the top, and it says Infinity on it. Mine doesn't have any names, and it opens up for CDs and for memory for the maps.

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/70/l_47f8830afe944d9b8f912d40c7728de- 8.jpg

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/100/l_51525ef6d1b74fd2a0fa84eaa0f96b- 61.jpg

Can anyone tell me how to find a manual for this system? I already called my salesman, and he's going to look for one to send, but if anyone can send me a link to a PDF or at least tell me how to do the radio presets... :-)
    I saw one on ebay or you can call LG. 1-889-599-6284 is their number and they can give you either a book or a PDF. Give them your email address and they will give it to you for free.
    Someone on another forum posted a link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=c168005bf9d6e0d1aaca48175a79d1c3e04e75f6e8ebb- 871

Thanks for the response, rv65!
    I just got this on another forum:

UPDATE to outdated map version in 2009 Nav units.

I called Hyundai National Consumer Assistance Center
    1-800 633 5151

They advised that the outdated map will be updated....the procedure is a bit cumbersome.
    1. Order the update from mapnsoft.com ($299.)
    2. Mapnsoft will refund $199. upon return of old disk
    3. Call the above with proof of purchase, proof of ownership of vehicle, etc and they will refund the balance of $199.

Suggest you call the number above to get the information first hand. It sounded like this was not a new problem as they had the procedure at hand.
    Just a clarification. I am doing this procedure. Mapnsoft refunds $100 and Hyundai refunds the $199. The problem I ran into is that not all Hyundai customer service personnel are aware of this option so you have to be persistent and if necessary talk to a supervisor.

Tom
  • arthursimmons1arthursimmons1 Member Posts: 4
    In reply the Infinity Logic 7 sound system is excellent. It extremely sad there is no backup camera or sensors. It makes no sense in this class there is no option with nav system. Drivers are supposed to back up with vision not on how well they can guess where they are. I am very disappointed with this fact. Hyundai has made it so that you can't even do it after market. If anyone has overcome this major flaw please let me know.
  • pullysweetpullysweet Member Posts: 1
    Can I install a Nav System on my 2007 Santa Fe. Will the 2009 model fit or could i get an after market system ?

Please help
    Thanks
    Raymond
    It's probably better to use an aftermarket unit than retrofit a factory installed one. The factory installed one requires the Infinity amp and speakers (which is fine if you already have it) and some re-wiring. Portable units are the easiest solution - you can check Consumer Reports to see which best meets your needs (CR hasn't reviewed in-dash units). If it must be in-dash, then try the Eclipse AVN6600/6620 unit for around $700. CNET reviewed a number of in-dash units - see http://reviews.cnet.com/best-in-dash-gps-navigation-systems/ .
  • rdamrdam Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I just bought a Santa Fe in France with the same navigation unit youhave, but I dont have the user manual with the car.
    Could you send me a copy please. Thanks for your help.
    Just curious if you don't mind. What are the issues that caused you to seek the update? Were you able to do the software update at no cost to you and are you satisfied with the results. Does this apply to the 2008 Navigation system as well.

Thanks, Steve
    I noticed that the feature which allows you to enter a phone number (for a business) and then it gives you directions, was not working. There were no phone numbers n the system. The upgrade has the phone numbers in there.

Tom
This discussion has been closed.