Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn VUE

Comments

• keninplacitaskeninplacitas Member Posts: 120
    cb70, those SUVs with the tire mounted on the back all seem to have full size spares. Do the other SUVs all have donuts?

Also, I mentioned my A4's full size spare. A4 1.8T Quatros don't cost any more than many SUVs. I'm not sure price is the factor, I think it has more to do with the manufacturer's policy on customer perceived quality.
  • gustavmgustavm Member Posts: 43
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    It has zero to do with quality and everything to do with customer demand and space availability in the car design. If customers of a car/truck demand it and it can fit, it will be there.

I think this topic is being over analyzed.
  • afk_xafk_x Member Posts: 393
    Not too sure what all the fuss is about.

The VUE will not have a full size spare mounted on the rear. It will have a donut spare tire beneath the rear cargo bay. If it is similar to the L then it will be rated for up to 60 MPH and 3000 miles.

They don't have one mounted on the rear for 3 main reasons.

1. Easier access to the rear. The VUE will feature a upward lifting rear hatch that you can open with one finger.

2. Looks. Having a full size spare certainly looks rugged but thats not what the designers are going for.

3. Damage will be less if hit in the rear.

I hope this helps.
  • macadam1macadam1 Member Posts: 22
    Visited a Saturn dealer over the weekend and was able to get a spec. sheet comparing the VUE to CR-V & Forester. No brochures available. Dealer advised October+ for arrival. Has anyone sat in one; if so is there ample room for the driver? I own a CR-V and it is extremely roomy for me at full tilt & seat full back. Wife interested in "cute-ute" like mine. Will look at Santa-Fe, VUE, Trib/scape & Rav-4. Is there any info out there?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Saturn hopes new SUV runs rings around rivals

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

I would stay away from Hyundia products and the RAV-4 is a bit noisy. Like the Tribute and CR-V though. I think Saturn will compare well. A new CR-V is due next year also. Both Vue models I've seen were prototypes and I could not sit in them. They seem to be a good size from the out side though.
  • otis12otis12 Member Posts: 171
    Anyone seen a Vue at a dealership or on a car carrier? What's the Day One date for sales? And I see that GM is already offering special financing deals on the '02 Chevy TrailBlazer, which has been redesigned. I wonder if the Vue will also get incentives early on?
    Don't count on it. From what I hear, production will be very limited for the first few months. I think the Vue goes on sale in late November.
  • cberescberes Member Posts: 24
    Dateline Los Angeles :-)

Just received an invitation in the mail from Saturn celebrating the company's 10th anniversary. The invitation is for an all-day event at Universal Studios in mid-October (I don't have the exact date on me)-- they are selling tickets that include all-day passes to the park and-- beginning @6pm-- they are closing the park and sponsoring a dinner and PREVIEW of the elusive VUE! Apparently here in LA this is a major kickoff for this vehicle.

We are very interested is finally seeing it-- even tho hate the hassle of going to Universal.
    Imagine that Saturn will be scheduling similar events around the country-- so maybe the Nov. date for showrooms is real.
  • docralphodocralpho Member Posts: 50
    If you get a look, please post your impressions!
    I went to a Saturn dealer in Albuquerque, NM a week ago. They said they had 5 Vues coming in Oct sometime, 4 had been sold and the dealer was to keep one as a demo. They also mentioned a traveling demo of Vues, but that Albuquerque was not on the list.
    I did look at a 2002 Saturn L station wagon, silver color, leather interior, and pretty nice vehicle. Gave me hope the VUE could be quite nice. I have the VUE on my list, along with a variety of others. The Dodge Dakota quad cab is to be restyled for 2003, and I believe it will get the same V6 the Jeep Liberty now has (210 hp vrs current 170 hp V6 in Dakota). Honda CR-V and Forester will be re-done, too, among some other new entries, including--maybe--the new and improved VW "micro" bus.
    You are right, there are going to be so many new choices come 2002. It's going to get even worse in the years to come with more and more cute-utes. and crossovers. I guess it's all good for the consumer if you can sort through all the hype.
    Just got the Oct 2001 Car and Driver magazine. The VUE is on the cover, and there is a multi-page report with pictures and specifications. Looks to be pretty nice vehicle, perhaps a good competitor to the Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute. Might even outdo those vehicles, what with a 5 speed auto. I await a real live Vue to kick the tires. Am also following the Jeep Liberty discussions, among others. I would like a vehicle that is a good travel/adventure rig. I am not a "rock crawler", but ability to take some remote roads would be nice. I have even considered a Honda Odyssey. The 2002 Odyssey will have 240 horsepower, and decent gas mileage, plus lots of room and comfort. Don't know about ground clearance, however. Time will tell....
    Just saw pictures and a write up of the new CR-V in the Toronto Star today. Looks to be a much better truck that the old. That said, there is still no V6 option which is odd.

I will check out the new C&D. Thanx for the info.
  • jmaterojmatero Member Posts: 253
    You know, when the original Saturns came out, I was blown away with how un-detroit like they were...I loved them. However, they have only gone downhill since then. In fact, while I love the Saturn concept and would love to buy one, the plasticy look/feel of the interiors is what kept me from even TEST DRIVING any of them... after all, that's where you spend most of your time right? In fact, I bought a Passat because after sitting in a new L-series, the passat was like a Benz or lexus inside (quality of materials). Well, I was hopeing the new VUE would have a quality looking interior, but after sitting in one at the NY auto show, they materials (on the dash at least) are still all that light cheap plastic... even the Santa-fe's materials feel more substantial. I mean, the exterior of the VUE really is refreshing and actually "moves" me on an emotional level but once you sit inside, I just keep thinking "appliance". Is it a budget issue or something? I mean, the new Liberty (and I'm NO chrysler fan let me tell you...) is absolutely STUNNING considering it's in the same price range as the VUE. What ever you think of the Liberty, when you SIT in it and close the door, you feel like you're in a $40,000 high-end vehicle and from what I've been reading in the other SUV forums, that was the deal-breaker in most cases when cross shopping. The folks who don't buy Escapes and go for the competition ALWAYS point to the interior and comment "YUK" or "CHEAP" or "UNINSPIRING". I guess Saturn is hoping the Dealer service will make up for the dash.
  • jrs7jrs7 Member Posts: 12
    You really hit the nail on the head. I was waiting for the VUE to come out and did see one in a show. I test drove the escape, Honda CRV etc. then got into a Jeep Liberty. What a difference. You canreally see and feel the Daimler influence which is not a bad thing. The dash is beautiful and well made, the doors snick closed like a much more expensive car and it drives tightly with a European feel. I bought the liberty and have enjoyed every one of the 500 miles I have on it so far. I love Saturn, had one in the past, but I hope they do not stumble here.
    Do you have the V6? How has the gas mileage been? I have heard that is one of the bad things about the Liberty. Otherwise, it seem like a very good value for the buck. Sat in one at the mall last week and the interior is very nice.

As our lease is not up until the spring, I can wait for the VUE, the new CR-V and the Pontiac Vibe. More choices will make things more difficult though.
    I saw a VUE in Phoenix approx Jan 2001, but could barely see inside due to the stage and protection around the vehicle. The size and shape of the SUV was very appealing. I have seen pictures of some other concept VUEs including the "outdoor expression" I think they call it. This vehicle had ostrich-looking leather inside, was very sharp. It remains to be seen what will make it to market. One "L" series Saturn wagon I saw with leather interior was pretty decent, actually. I agree the Liberty has a very nice interior. It has some deficits, too: seats do not fold flat as I think the VUE's will; cargo area behind rear seat is very small--appears larger on the VUE. Also, believe the VUE has a passenger-side folding front seat, so longer items can be placed. The VUE should weigh in at about 3400lbs give or take, the Liberty at 4100 +/-. Thus, while the Liberty has 210hp vrs 181hp for the VUE, one is lugging around an extra 700 lbs in the Liberty=poorer gas mileage. The Liberty will be much more off-road capable. The VUE should be capable of some light "off-road" use, however. I'd expect many more after market items for the Liberty. As several have mentioned, more SUVs are in the wings, which should give buyers lots of choices in the next few years.
    Picked up the new Car and Driver yesterday. Great article on the Vue and Vibe with some very good pictures as well. The Vibe looks to be a very good little sport wagon and it too is catching my eye. At 33, I'm only wondering if I'm too old for something like that.
  • carnut444carnut444 Member Posts: 27
    Will be reading the Car & Driver issue today. My interest is the comparison to the Jeep Liberty, specifically the interior dimensions. The Liberty site has a very complete set of dimensions. I'm looking for a similar complete description on the Vue. Any suggestions from anyone would be appreciated.
  • 1equalizer1equalizer Member Posts: 11
    It was nice looking until I saw the interior. It was cheap, Plastic and stark. Saw it at an auto show... I would guess from my exp with other Saturns that it could probably use some more HP as well ... but that is just a guess and my opinion.
    The interior does not look too bad, but not the best either. Of course everything you see is pre-production. I will reserve my judgment till I actually sit in a VUE and see/feel a real production model.

Seems like information on the VUE is very slow in coming.
    Another interior hater!

Can somone please tell me what makes a good interior and what doesn't? Everything is this price range has a plastic interior?

As for HP - it really doesn't mean all that much. A good example is the Lexus 430 vs the Infinity Q45, or the L-300 vs the Accord V6. I will wait until I drive one to pass judgement on how much power it has.

BTW the VUE will be in Saturn showrooms around the nation around Thanksgiving. V6 and 4cyl manual only. In January they will start building the 4cyl cvt.
    So it sounds like they are having some problems with the CVT?

Thanx for the update. I'm really looking forward to seeing the VUE.

Has production begun?
    What looks good in this price range Hyundai Santa Fe what also looks bad Pontiac Aztec similar cheep plastic look, and feel and stark. Only my opinion. Heck Honda CRV is somewhat stark but doesn't have the cheap look.
    Problem is Santa Fe is ugly and comes from Hyundia, a company that is in financial straits and a checkered past of reliability. It's better than it was but, it's still at the bottom of the heap. I would avoid the vehicle/company completely. New CR-V looks better than the old. When is it going to be out?
    What does that have to do with how the interior looks?
  • varmitvarmit Member Posts: 1,125
    If you're interested, I've created a CR-V and Saturn VUE comparison topic. These looks poised to go head to head and are due in the market at about the same time. It should make for an interesting discussion.
    Good idea. I think there will be a lot of cross shopping this fall/ winter.

Still like the Escape/Tribute, but given all the problems they have had I'm a bit scared to buy.
  • gsogymratgsogymrat Member Posts: 97
    Does anyone know how reliable Saturns are? How about standard warranty? Consumer Reports lists the SL and the SC as being better than average and the L-Series well below average. Several years ago I looked at buying a Saturn but I didn't feel their cars compared with Mazda, Honda or Toyota (I bought a Mazda Protege which has been an excellent car). The pictures of the Vue don't impress me but if the price and utility is there I can be won over. At least it has a V6.
    The S-series has been good and the L-series is good now. The initial year of L-series had some problems, but the cars are much better. I suspect that since Saturn is building at Spring Hill, the quality should be good.
    Does Saturn still have a no haggle policy? Are there any kinds of deals or promotions that Saturn usually runs? Personally I really like no haggle. I don't know why buying a new car should be different than buying a new TV at Best Buy.
    Ya.. the no haggle is in place and will stay. You can negotiate options and trade ins though. They also do low financing deals.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Not to get off track on a Vue thread but...

You're right, the Hyundia comes from Afghanistan and sucks. The Hyuundai Santa Fe, on the other hand has won lots of "best" awards, including Kiplinger's and the Strategic Vision Total Quality award for small SUV's. In fact Hyundai's overall lineup had one of the highest average scores of any make.

http://www.vision-inc.com/01_tqa_smallsuv.html

Yes Hyundia has come a long way in quality. I think the reliability is better but that said, they are way below average in JD Power reliability / dependability ratings.

My memory of Ponys and Sonatas breaking down all over the place not so long ago will take a long time to erase.
  • alchemy2alchemy2 Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know exactly when the Vue will go on sale?
  • alchemy2alchemy2 Member Posts: 6
    Just got an e-mail from Saturn saying that they expect the Vue to be showrooms this December. I hope GM extends the 0.0% financing through the end of this year.
    Doubt 0.0% will apply to VUE.

From what I hear also, early December for the launch.
    The V6 Vue with nothing on it starts at $23,085? By the time I add the features I want it will be out of my price range.
    Actually it says..

"The top-of-the-line all-wheel-drive V-6 will carry a base sticker price of $ 23,085"

How do you know what it has, the standard equip. isn't listed? What would a top line V6 AWD Escape go for in the U.S.? Canadian pricing has not been released yet so I'm wondering.
    We don't know the standard equipment because Saturn hasn't given the consumer the info.
  • haiduchaiduc Member Posts: 5
    I heard that this V6 is the same engine in the Cadillac Catera, or at least very similar. I also heard that this engine has a lot of problems and GM will offer the 3.2 liter in the upcoming CTS instead. Does anybody know how reliable this 3.0 V6 engine is? Thanks.
    The 3.0 in the Catera is a modified version of the 3.0 in the Saturn L-Series. Engine is reliable and very peppy. Take an L300 out for a test if you want a an early taste. The 3.2L is a re-engineered version of the 3.0L to give the CTS added HP.
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    I got the Vue brochure in the mail the other day highlighting the interior. Ummmm, I think they need to get more daring stylists over at Saturn. The blah, wishy washy two-tone beige or grey interior is not very inviting. Even the layout of the vents with the name "Vue" in black plastic is ugly. Saturn needs to start looking at Volkswagen or Nissan or Daimler Chrysler for ideas. In addition to that, there are only two decent colors: metallic orange and red. There is no blue or green. Do they want to sell cars?
  • artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    ....saw the $canadian pricing the other day and while i don't have the exact figures in front of me, they range from 22-23k for a 4cyl/5-speed FWD to just over 30k for an V6/auto/AWD. the prices see fairly reasonable, save for the V6/auto/AWD.
    there's about a 4k jump from the 4cyl/CVT/AWD to the V6/auto/AWD, which basically means you're paying 4k for the V6, as the costing of the CVT and 5 speed auto should be about the same (maybe the CVT is even more expensive to manufacture).
    with V6 libertys, escapes, tributes and santa fe's available for 26-28k, it seems about 2 grand too high.
    I saw it in the Toronto Star. About C$22,500 for 5-speed/ 4cyl. About $23,800 for the CVT 4cyl. Very reasonable as that includes destination and air tax of $100. The author seemed to have a lot of good things to say about it also.

I really want to drive one of these things soon.
  • yachtieyachtie Member Posts: 29
    Just read the article in the Toronto Star.Must say I was somewhat disappointed in the expected Transport Canada fuel economy figures. The article suggests 11.2l/100km city 9.0l/100km hwy for the 4 cyl cvt.This converts to 25mpg city/31 mpg hwy. (imp gallons ). This is not as good as the 2001 model Honda CRV.Previous write-ups suggested that this model was going to be the "fuel economy champ",.....seems not so.

Yachtie
    I am going to wait until I have a chance to drive one. Soon I will be going to a Saturn "Ride and Drive" and I will drive all the competition as well as the Saturn VUE.

Unfortunately the 2002 CRV will not be available to drive at this time, which is Saturns main competitor for the size and price.
    Mileage will not be best in class on the Vue, but there are other factors to consider. If you are that worried about mileage, you should buy a compact car or wagon instead.

afk_x : Let us know how it goes.