Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima CVT

kal1212kal1212 Member Posts: 2
Here's the problem. When moving from a stand-still in slow moving traffic, after reaching about 20mph and coming off the gas pedal, the rpm suddenly drops then shoots back up causing the car to shoot forward. Sometimes I jam on the brakes because it feels like I'm going to hit the car infront of me. Also, when going slowly uphill, the rpm goes down too low causing the car to feel like it has a manaul transmission and is about to stall. Of course this doesn't happen when you take it to the dealer. Anyone else having a similar problem? Again, I only feel these things in traffic.

Comments

• kushlikkushlik Member Posts: 1
    I experience a similar problem on 07 altima 2.5S: When you go above 20mpg, when you release gas pedal, everything goes smooth, and the car starts slowing down gradually (as expected). However, if i do not accelerate faster than 20 and release the gas pedal, i feel a bump (a slight drop in rpm and then it comes back up) and then, instead of gradually slowing down (as if above 20 mph), the car starts to keep up the speed (which may seem like accelerating). Also, if originally you go above 20 and the car gradually slows down to 20, same effect is observed - a bump and no more slowing down. It is very annoying if you drive in traffic.. I am going to try to test drive another altima and see if it has the same effect and then go to my dealer anyway.. Let me know if you have any updates with your problem..
  • ripper82ripper82 Member Posts: 4
    Hey guys... I am having the *same* problem with my 2007 Sentra with the CVT. It's happening at higher and lower speeds, but you're right, it's very pronounced around 20 to 25mph. But I have another problem that's happening more during braking, so that when the engine gets down around 1,000 rpm and I'm trying to brake smoothly, the car will rev up a couple hundred rpm pulling me forward, then suddenly it will drop down to about 800 rpm and the car pulls back quite a bit. I have to be really careful to let off the brake when this happens so that the car behind me doesn't think I just slammed down on the brakes.

It seems as if the engine doesn't know which pulley ratio to be using right around that 1,000 rpm mark. I'm taking my car to the dealer today to look at this, and I printed out your posts to show them I'm not just imagining this. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    I think what you guys are describing is normal behavior for the cvt. Its actually trying to put the car in the most fuel efficent gear ratio as possible. As you said, I think it gets confussed at times. but, just put it in manual mode. that will lock it into a particular gear ratio and your problem should go away.
    The technician at my dealer said that he did feel the problem I described, but that all the CVTs do the same thing, and there's nothing they can do. But he also said Nissan might eventually decide to do something about it, because it *is* annoying.

Maybe it's simply a software issue and they might release a fix for it.
    Maybe it's simply a software issue and they might release a fix for it.

Thats exactly what it is. the manual says the CVT is pre-programed with about 300 algorithms that control how it shifts.
  • dtownmildtownmil Member Posts: 23
    I drove a rental 07 Altima 2.5 with the CVT and did not notice this problem. I later had a Dodge Caliber with a "CVT" and it DID have this problem.
  • bambio23bambio23 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Altima CVT and when the revs get to around 1500 rpm there is a rumble that can be heard and a vibration is set up that my passengers also note.
    I have taken it to the dealer and we took out another new car, and it had a similar vibration, even though it was a bit less.

Does anyone else have this problem. Has anyone heard of a fix?
  • ksthiebaudksthiebaud Member Posts: 7
    Is this the 2.5 or 3.5 engine?
  • bambio23bambio23 Member Posts: 2
    It's a 2.5 engine.
  • stephaniemottstephaniemott Member Posts: 1
    My Altima is doing relatively the same thing. While driving between 30 - 40 mph in the city there is a vibration - like the tires are very out of balance. The dealership told me it was the transmission searching for a gear. They said to put it in manual and it won't do it. If I wanted a manual transmission I would have bought one. This is unacceptable to me. But the really bad thing is... I bought two 2007 Altimas. How dumb am I? The engine rattles on both, the transmission bogs down at 20-30 mph, it's very loud, and I could just scream! I've been so frustrated that I just traded one of them in, after only 6 months, on a real car - a Honda! Yep, I lost a few thousand dollars but at least when I drive the Honda I can concentrate on driving and not all the rattles and squeaks and the other annoying things. I've never been so unsatisfied with a brand new vehicle. If I had not refinanced it with the credit union, I would take it back to the dealership and tell them to stuff it! :mad:
  • njpokerchampnjpokerchamp Member Posts: 1
    How does this transmission work if someone can it expain without being TO Technical. How is this better than gears? I know it uses a metal band. Won't this band stretch out or wear down eventually? I drive 100 miles a day and i need to know the reliablility of this type of transmission. I have an 04 Pathfinder and i hate to sell it but the price of gas is taking its toll on my wallet now :o(
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Check this out: CVT Enters the Mainstream. :)

Welcome to CarSpace!
  • shustershuster Member Posts: 10
    i have the same problem when going at lower gear, altima 2.5, 2008....i am glad that i am not the only one....yet i agree...its annoying
    Nissan better do something about, i have 2 nissans....i am happy with their products, yet this problem is annoying..if they don't fix it i am done with this company
  • altimaowner2altimaowner2 Member Posts: 1
    I hope this message helps others with these problems. I purchased a 2007 Altima in November 2006. After driving the vehicle for a couple of months I made a list of problems I had experienced and scheduled a service appointment with the dealer. The issues (in order of severity) were: 1) Vehicle would speed up at approximately 20 - 25 MPH during braking (same condition as described by others in this forum). 2) Vehicle had loud noise when started at cold temperatures. 3) Vehicle would wander on road with slight cross wind. As expected the dealer indicated that they could not find anything wrong with the vehicle and that no "codes" were stored in the vehicle computer. Since they could not reproduce the problem and no codes were stored they could not (would not) do anything. Their advice was to call Nissan customer service, which I did. After many calls to Nissan customer service and many return visits to the dealer, they were unable to correct (or even acknowledge) that there were any issues on the vehicle. Since I purchased the vehile soon after it was released I expected that overtime others would have the same problems that I experienced. I have not looked at this forum for almost a year. Today I find that every issue that I brought to Nissan's attention a year ago is being reported and written about by others. With others complaining about these issues I am positive that Nissan has investigated and confirmed each one. The question will be whether they will take action on the most serious issue, accelaration during braking. My plan is to take the information that I have found on this forum and go back to the dealer and Nissan customer service for round 2, and try to get some satisfaction on these issues. I'm glad I kept my case number, dealer repair orders and notes regarding these issues and my contact with Nissan! I'll post another message after my discussions with the dealer and Nissan customer service. :mad:
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    1) Vehicle would speed up at approximately 20 - 25 MPH during braking (same condition as described by others in this forum).

I think this is normal for a Sport sedan. Sometimes, I drive the Altima and I feel the engine speed up a little bit especially when I'm going down the hill.

However, this is not much at all compare to the G35 especially when I use the DS mode (Drive Sport). Actually, I think the Altima is still very soft to my taste. ;)
  • roar02ramroar02ram Member Posts: 12
    The CVT in my hybrid did weird stuff at first but smoothed out nicely after 10k miles. Remember that these cars also have electronic throttles and between the two, things can be funny while the system learns your driving habits.

For you, Altimaowner2, you're just going to end up frustrated with your car, Nissan, and your dealer because it genuinely doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with your car. Instead, it sounds like you learned its quirks a bit too late.
  • kal1212kal1212 Member Posts: 2
    Since most of us seem to be experiencing similar problems, does anyone feel extreme feedback in the pedals. Seems like I'm feeling everything on the road, from the slightest crack. Really looking forward to a response. Its driving me nuts.
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    I have had a 2.5 Altima CVT for 2 months now, with about 2k Miles.

I agree with you, it takes a little time to adjust to the CVT, as it is a different type of transmission. It appears (to me, anyway) that it is much more sensitive to my driving motions. In other words, it seems much more sensitive to how much I depress the accelerator, etc. I really haven't used the manual shift option much, so I can't comment on that aspect.

I have really learned to like the car, but I can see how others could have problems adapting to the car.

Perhaps Nissan should do a bit more to make prospective buyers aware of the differences....
  • pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    One thing to keep in mind about the road noise, is that the OEM tires on pretty much any car made today are garbage.

I threw Turanza LS-Vs on my Maxima, and it was night and day. The "Turanzas" that come from the factory on our cars are in no way, shape or form related to the store tires. They last a LOT longer, are quieter, and handle better in bad weather.

I've only had my Altima 850 miles, and I am already looking forward to putting LS-Vs on it to see what the car can really do. :P
  • karpediemkarpediem Member Posts: 46
    I just want to say I love the CVT. My car is the Xterra and my wife has the Altima. Going from a traditional transmission to the cvt on the weekend, when I get to drive it, is like driving a new car every week. It is so smooth, and my favorite thing about it is the acceleration when you depress the pedal about half-way, maybe get the rpm's around 4,000 and stay there. It's such a smooth acceleration and I leave people in the dust without looking like I am flooring it.

Weird thing with the Altima is you can feel like you are flooring it, but if you push a little harder it feels like the pedal clicks a little further and you get more power. I am only sad I didn't get the 3.5 when I floor it, so I mainly stick to my half-way flooring it and get the smooth quick take-off.

CVT gets 2 thumbs up from me.
  • motoguy128motoguy128 Member Posts: 146
    I was spkeptical of the CVT, but after the test drive I was sold. This comming from someone that normally prefers manual transmissions, but the CVT with manual mode satisfies ALL complaints I had about traditonal automatics.

Couple of observations:

1) The motor has excellent bottom end torque. The CVT still has a torque converter to get the car moving and to engage neutral or reverse. The lowest gear ration allws the car to crawl up fairly steep grades in gear (no torque converter slip) as low as 5-6mph.

2) For economy, the CVT attempt to operate the engine as low as 1300- 1500RPM until it reaches it's highest ratio (at around 35mph). thsi does cause some "booming" due ot the low RPM's. I think Nissan could add soem active engine mounts of noise cancellation to help this (Honda NEEDS this when running on 3 or 4 cylinders on it's V6 for hte same reason).

3) EVERY automatic I've ever drien at times uses too low of a gear causing the "booming" sound. They only did it at a couple of speed sranges and as soon as you hit the gas the torque converter unloocked. On the CVT with the torquey 2.5, it can hold 1500RPM from 5mph-35mph. My '04 Honda Accord 5 speed automatic always got into 5th gear really early (35mph) and made a booming sound.

4) The best atribute of the CVT is that it's incredibly responsive, there's no waiting for a downshift.

5) My Honda Accord also used to have the RPM's jump and hte engien braking change as it downshifted while slowing down. At 10mph, my braking force would change dramatically. I haven't noticed this with the Altima, but I don't drive it aggressively in traffic. I suspect that when accleratign and braking hard in stop and go traffic, this could happen. I'll find out this Fall when my wfie and I drive back to my parents in Detroit, MI. I always forget how aggressive and fast they drive out there.

6) You do need to retrain you foot and learn to drive smoothly to get the most out of the transmission.

Don't get me wrong, the Accord has an excellent automatic trnsmission. Very responsive, but when I want to pass on a 2 lane road, I get instant power with the Altima. On the Honda and my wife's previous Altima, you have to anticipate your move sicne the transmission needed a 1/2 second to get in the right gear and provides no accelration at that moment. On the Altima accelration start immediately and increases as hte gear ratio drops as needed.

Form a engineering standpoint. What's ideal about the CVT is that the throttle positon causes an increse in RPM linerarly. Therefore horesepower increases almost directly porportionally to throttle position since the 2.5 motor has a very flat torque curve and HP is constant since you are at a constant RPM. Very similar to thrust from a jet turbine. IN a conventional automatic the RPM's change and therefore the HP varies between the shifts.

The only downside of the CVT is that hydralic force is needed to hold the gear ratio. So there are some losses with the hydralic pump. Thsi might explain why the RPM's jump around at low RPM's as the car is transitioning possibly form the torque converter to the CVT and the hydalic pump suddenly puts a load on the engine at the same time the torque converter locks up.

Here's how that works. The CVT's lowest ratio would allow for lets say 4000RPM at 15mph. If you acclerate hard, the torque converter must "slip" all the way until it can lock up when it reaches the same speed at the lowest gear range in the CVT. To make the car feel responsive and not bog down when you hit the gas, it takes some fancy "footwork" between the torque converter, throttle and CVT to make them all match up under 20mph. Above 20-25mph, you're pretty much locked up 100% on the CVT and it behaves in many ways more like a manual transmission with an fly by wire throttle except that the gear ratios are infinitly vairable between the max and mimimum ranges.
  • madpistolmadpistol Member Posts: 126
    That "booming" that you hear is normal. You can't honestly expect a car to be perfect for under $30k. I've felt this in my car, and it doesn't bother you if you don't think about it. An easy way to cure this is to either shift to manual mode, or give the engine a little more throttle.

This car is a great car. The CVT is very responsive, the interior is nice on the S and wonderful on the SL, the ride is very sporty, responsive, and comfortable, and the car gets great gas mileage for the power it puts out. People need to stop complaining. Either enjoy the car or trade it for something else. I love my 2.5 SL, and I have no intention of trading it just because of the CVT has a couple drawbacks. The advantages more than make up for its shortcomings.
  • sal1948sal1948 Member Posts: 1
    I have had an Altima for 1 year. 13,000 mi to date. I didn't experience weird behavior of the CVT. I expected lack of shift points to feel obvious by their absence. Not so...............
    However, I experience an annoying slow pulsation in "cruise" when going downhill.
    It is certainly tolerable, but noticeable. I assume it's the combination o CVT and throttle being confused.............. No biggie.

• karsickkarsick Member Posts: 312
    As a 4cyl/ 6speed owner I'll attest to the torque of the 2.5... very impressive.

The engine spins about 2000rpm at 60mph in 6th, yet when you need to accelerate more, it simply & instantly gathers speed, drama-free, like there's a giant, torque-monster Cummins diesel under the hood.

By the same token, the motor & soundproofing are good enough that I've accidentally left it in 4th gear for a few 60mph freeway miles, and only a glance at the tach revealed my error.

In 9000 miles, I've yet to feel the need for revving past 4000rpm (except to pass a long tractor-trailer on a 2-lane road).

BTW -our last tank got us 31.5 mpg (calculated by hand) in mixed city/fwy driving.

Very happy.
  • dbarrett2dbarrett2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a new 2008, 2.5L Altima Coupe. Both my wife and I have experienced a pulsing between 20-30 mph. It almost feels like the transmission (CVT) doesn't know what gear to be in, somewhat like letting the clutch out a little too fast on a stick transmission. Is this normal and is this similar to what many others are experiencing?
    I have experienced this. It's like a slight "jerking" at lower speeds. This is simply the CVT moving while the revs on the engine stays the same. There's nothing that can be done. The CVT still has set intervals that it runs at, but there are a lot more than a standard transmission, so when you're accelerating, it's so smooth that it's imperceptible to a conscious mind. This is normal operation for the car.
    Yes, that is exactly what we're talking about.

But apparently we're all crazy and should just be quiet and enjoy the jerkiness.
    I wish there was something else we could do to fix it. Unfortunately, this is normal for a CVT. It was sort of annoying to me at first, but now I don't even notice it because it's just part of how the car operates.

You have a choice:

1. Go get a car with a regular automatic that has several larger shifts that are dictated by gear placement.

-or-

2. Enjoy the Altima and ignore its slight quirkiness at lower speeds. Even with these micro-jerks, it's still the smoothest transmission on the market.
  • greengoddessgreengoddess Member Posts: 3
    I have only 5900 miles on my '08 Altima but have been extremely disappointed since day 1 of my ownership experience with the CVT performance. First, there is jerkiness when driving low speeds (e.g. 35 mph) and it feels like a standard that is not in the right gear; then when driving at highway speeds (65 - 75 mph) there is vibration. Additionally, at highway speeds there is an intermittent loose steering feeling. This is my second Altima. The first - an '02 - was a superior vehicle, in fact, I still have it and couldn't be happier with performance, gas mileage, and reliability. However my '08 pales in comparison with regard to the transmission feel and performance. I've returned to the dealership several times - with limited assistance in remedying these issues. I'm told that this is the way the CVT performs. I just can't believe that vibration and jerkiness are considered adequate performance for a transmission. I'm considering filing under the Lemon Law. Any suggestions?
  • jjanjjan Member Posts: 1
    I accidently drove my brand new 2009 Altima (automatic) for ~4 miles in manual mode without realizing it. I don't even know how to drive manual.

It was making it's normal noises, but when I sped up to about 40 mph, I kept hearing a LOUD grinding type mechanical noise from engine. I thought it was something else. Then when I stopped the sound stopped too. That's when I realized that my gear shift was accidentally on the manual side.

It's been driving fine since the incident, but have I damaged anything??
    When I go for my first service checkup, what should I tell them to check out?

THANKS
    It's been driving fine since the incident, but have I damaged anything??
    When I go for my first service checkup, what should I tell them to check out?

It depends. If the car is still in its break-in period (first 1000-1200 miles), then it couldn't hurt to ask. However, if you're out of that break-in period, you shouldn't worry about it.

My '08 Altima 2.5 SL has 14k miles on it now, and I take it onto some curvy mountain roads quite a bit. While I drive it, I try and keep the revs above 3k so that power is always on tap. I've done this many times, and the engine is just as happy as the day I bought it. The car is built for this. If it wasn't, it wouldn't have a 6-speed manual mode. ;)
  • wantanaltimawantanaltima Member Posts: 5
    Hi guys and girls...I'm looking at getting a 2009 Altima 2.5 S w/ the auto CVT transmission. In my research, I've read a lot about the knocking, grinding and speed issues but my main concern is about the transmission breaking down. I have heard that if the belt goes, you have to replace the transmission. Does anyone know much about this or know how often this actually happens. My mechanic and his transmission shop have never worked on a CVT so they provided no help on this issue. I love the Altima and can live with some of the noise/shaking if I can drive with confidence that I won't have to buy a new $4000 transmission as soon as the warranty runs out. Any help is much appreciated.
    ok, I'll try to exlain this as best I can. fist off, the CVT doesn't use a "belt". It's actually a chain. Much like a timing chain, so long as it lubercated with clean transmission fluid, It's not going to break. In other words, service the transmission at the proper intervals and you wont have to worry about it.

As for the reliability, Nissan says that their CVT has been (bassed on waranty claim numbers) more reliable than their automatic transmission. Now that what nissan says, but I tend to agree with them. I do not believe they would expanding their use if they knew they were inferior. It just wouldn't make sense from a business standpoint.

But one way to look at the CVT is like this:
    Basically, it consists of two pullies connected with a belt (chain). There are no gears, gear cluster or any of the other parts in a conventional automatic transmission. That pretty much means there are far fewer things to go wrong with it.

Personally, I would see no reason to worry about it. they're not new. Nissan first started using them with the murano back in 2002 or something like that. and now, with several generations of them having been made, the bugs and quirks have been worked out.
    Thanks for the great explanation. I'm debating between the always reliable Civic Sedan and the Altima 2.5s. My concerns stem from talking to mechanic shops who have told me that you can't repair parts on a CVT tranny, you can only replace the tranny. In Canada/Toronto, the cost is approx $5000 to $6000. Which means after the warranty period of 100,000 kilometres, you're looking at spending about as much on a new transmission as the car is probably worth.

There are lots of forums on the web with people complaining about their reliability and Nissan's inability/lack of motivation to fix them. I've already been told that tranny shops aren't seeing them in for repairs b/c you can't repair them. And they're not getting the Altima's in for replacement as it's cheaper to just get it done through Nissan directly...sort of a captive market created by Nissan.

Consumer's reports say nothing bad at all about the CVT transmission. I do absolutely service my current car as much as required and always do the "recommended" items just to spoil it so it treats me better in the long run.

I'm still really on the fence with this.
  • implementallimplementall Member Posts: 4
    DO NOT - DO NOT purchase the Alitma. The tranny can only be service by Nissan - other mechanics do not want to touch it.

I purchase a 2007 Altima in July of 2007 and due to my long commute to/from work, I've place a lot of miles on the vehicle. After hearing an unusual noise, I had the dealership look at it, they told me I need a new transmission. parts cannot be replace, you must purchase the entire tranny. I only have 66,000 miles on the car. Of course they do not want to provide any assistance for replacement to fix the car. I would not recommend purchasing Nissan vehicles.

I returned to the Service Manager to plea my case and is currently waiting for a response.
    Keep in mind, rebuilding or replacing an automatic transmission will be in excess of 4 grand. its not as though an auto is cheap to replace either. However, if reliability is your primary concern, buy something with a manual transmission, as you'll never need to replace anything but the clutch, if that.

Transmission shops will replace them, and are probably cheaper than a dealership. Like I told you before, they are actually much less complicated than an automatic transmission. And don't put much stock into what you see on message board on the internet. People seldom go to message boards for any other reason than to complain, vent, and talk bad about the car they're having problems with. nothing wrong with that, it is what it is.

As for you choice, thats a tough decision to make. I own both a civic and an altima; and both are great cars.

but which ever one you get, BUY THE EXTENDED WARRANTY! I can't overstate that enough. first off, you can get them cheap. Dealerships love to sell them, and will give you a great deal on one if you push for it. getting one for half the price they initially offer you in not uncommon. And second, fixing cars is expensive. Auto or CVT, replacing (or in the case of an auto, rebuilding) will cost thousands. And even honda (despite their stellar record) have had problems with their auto transmissions before. but aside from transmissions, it just isn't that hard to need a thousand or more in repairs for a car. It's just not worth taking the chance.
    Funny you mention getting a manual tranny. I've never driven stick and have tried but didn't like it. The fact that I really love this car has made me start thinking again about taking lessons! lol.

I totally agree with you about internet hype and I take everything with a grain of salt.

Regarding the Extended warranty, i agree for the Altima it's probably a good buy. A friend of mine who knows tonnes about cars and knows that I'd probably buy the Altima even if I knew there were inherent problems with it suggested getting the extended warranty too. I very well may try to do that and haggle the guy on the price. I'm in Canada so I'm not sure how much they will haggle on the price of that like they do in the US. I will definitely try though...that's just my nature.

Thank you so much for the info so far. I really appreciate it. Any other insights are gladly welcomed as it sounds like we think on the same wavelength.
    No need to go as far as learning how to drive a stick. think of it this way with the CVT. It's totally optional on nissans part. they still use autos on their trucks and suv's. they have perfectly good automatic transmission on the shelf. If the CVT were flawed, or there were know problems with it, or problems with its long term reliability................................ Nissan would just go back to an auto trans. they have plenty already, and could switch over in in a matter of weeks. It's not as though their stuck with using CVT's. And personally, I just can't imagine they're risk the future of the company for no reason.

another thing you might want to know about CVT' is, nissan is not the first company to use them. ford used them before, as has subaru. and I believe both toyota and honda offer them in foreign markets. Nissan is simply the first company to make widespread use of them in the all so important North American market. the CVT is neither new, nor revolutionary. The only two factors that have held them back are finding a material for the belt that will hold up in higher torque and HP cars, and public acceptance. Nissan solved the first, and is working on the second.

as for warranties, the transmission is just one reason to get one. anything on a car can cost a fortune to fix. even something as simple as a power window motor can run $600 to fix. A blown head gasket can run $1600. so much depends on the car. you could have a $25 doallar part that requires 15 hours of labor to replace, and end up running 3k to do. I could go on, but I'm sure you get the point.

As for the cost, I could be wrong, as I'm not a car salesman; but I believe the finance people get a financial incentive to sell those things. I'm also pretty sure there is a HUGE mark up on them. Hence why the dealerships love to sell them. but If you hold out and bargain hard, you should be able to get a platinum 10yr 100k extended warranty for somewhere between 1000 and 1500. yea, thats a good chunk of money. but having spent nearly 20k on the car, 10 years of worry free driving makes it seem like a good deal to me.
  • nexusprimenexusprime Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I have an Altima 2.5s 2008 with CVT tran. and I would like to change this one with manual tran

Could someone give me informations about the cost and if it posibile to be done.

Thanks
    It's not worth the money. You would have to have the shifter, tranny, and clutch installed. You'd be better off selling your current car and buying one with a manual transmission.
  • dajanidajani Member Posts: 10
    I just purchased the Altima V6 SE last week and it drives nice and smooth with a lots of power and low rpm.
  • greengoddessgreengoddess Member Posts: 3
    The V6 runs much more smoothly than the 4 cyl. I did not experience jerkiness at low speeds or vibration at highway cruising speeds.

You made a great choice. I wish you years of great fun and operation in your new car.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    What is this "jerkiness at low speeds or vibration at highway cruising speeds" that you speak of??? I've been driving the 4 cyl CVT (08 Altima 2.5) for 18 months now and have not experienced any of that! It was the best 4 cyl engine of many that I checked out before buying (Sonata, Accord, CR-V, Camry, RAV-4) - smooth, yet responsive with plenty of pick-up when needed.

BTW, before that I drove a Maxima (V6) for 6+ years and am so glad that I "downsized" - a lot better fuel economy. Plus, I don't miss that torque when accelerating..... :)
    I don't experience the vibration at high speed. I'm not sure what most people are talking about there.

However, I do get some jerkiness at speeds under 40mph. My guess is it's just because the CVT has a limited number of set ratios at lower RPMs. I know it's the CVT "shift-logic" because if you move it over to manual mode and shift it that way, the engine is very smooth and pretty refined feeling. There's absolutely no jerking in manual mode other than what you feel when you shift between ratios.

(Now enter theory stuff)

I believe that with the next generation of Altima we'll see both engines get significantly redesigned. Now that Nissan has established that CVT-based vehicles are what they wish to pursue, I think they're going to start designing their engines around this. As of right now, they're currently designing the CVT to be compatible with their chosen engines. However, if you design the ENGINE to also be compatible with the CVT, the refinement will reach a whole new level.

The current engines are very content with a manual gearbox, but a little sluggish with the CVT. That's because the engines aren't designed to take advantage of a CVT's gearless system. In other words, the engines have very specific power bands, and thus, it only feels energetic when the engine is in that power band. I believe we're going to see more torque and horsepower from lower RPMs and the peak will be far lower in the rev-band as well. That way, cars will feel much more energetic from a stop AND there won't be a "flat line" on power between 2000-3000RPMs (in the 4-cyl). This should also eliminate jerkiness from the lower revs, as the CVT won't have to shift as much to keep the power up.

1st generation CVT: high rev acceleration, rubber-band feeling

2nd (current) generation CVT: smoother acceleration, higher horsepower engines

3rd (future) generation CVT: engines designed for CVT, MUCH quicker acceleration, more linear power delivery.

This is only speculation, but if you're a fan of CVT based Nissan cars, I think it's about to get a lot better in the 3rd generation. The first 2 generations were test beds to see if it would work. Now that Nissan knows it works (and is selling well) they should invest a lot more in their powerplants this time around. Only time will tell though. :)
  • altimacoupe08altimacoupe08 Member Posts: 1
    Have owned a 2008 Altima Coupe V6 SE since it had 5 miles on it, now has 21,000 miles. The car drives like I would imagine a slot car driving, just push on the throttle 0 to 100 mph (freeway on ramp) and you would never know that the transmisson found another ratio except for the tach movement.

The only thing that I have found disappointing in the Altima Coupe is the electronics. My 2000 Ford Expedition's electronics were much better in the fact that the drivers seat, inside rear view mirror, and outside rear view mirrors could be set and would adjust according to which remote control was used. Am also disappointed in the navigation system, it cannot find housing tracks that have been in existance for 10 plus years! For the price of it, it should be up to date one would assume.
  • chiladychilady Member Posts: 1
    I have been a Nissan customer for years. I've had a 1999 Nissan Altima, a 2003 Nissan Altima and now drive a 2006 Nissan Frontier. I'm looking into a new 2009 Nissan Altima Coupe but have been reading so much about the problems with the CVT on this car. Any suggestions??? Get another Frontier or get the Altima Coupe? I love this car but very unsure about this new transmission. I've never had a problem with a Nissan, that's why I have stayed with them and don't want to start having any problems now. HELP!!!!

Chilady
    I just bought a 2009 Altima Sedan that has the CVT. I did a lot of research before getting it b/c of the known CVT issues. Whatever you do, don't bother asking a dealer about it. The 2 that I asked just looked like a deer in the headlights and denied ever hearing anything about issues with the CVT.

I did my own research and Edmunds was one place. It basically comes down to this. I believe it's the 3rd generation of the CVT. It's been in some of the Nissan fleet since 2003 when they introduced it in the 2003 Murano. THere were known issues with it breaking down around 120,000 kms which is just after the warranty period. To quell any issues, you could consider getting the extended warranty.

Some people complain about noises at lot speeds. That's just the CVT tranny doing it's thing and it's not really loud at all. A test drive will show you that. I've had mine for a month now and have zero complaints.
  • dajanidajani Member Posts: 10
    Test drive the V6 SE Coupe and V6 SE Sedan. I bought a V6 SE sedan with CVT tranny and I love it. I do not like the Altima 2.5 with the 4 cylinder engine. Nissan is offering $1000 cash bonus plus 2.9% till April 30, 2009.
  • victrolajazzvictrolajazz Member Posts: 75
    "The current engines are very content with a manual gearbox, but a little sluggish with the CVT. That's because the engines aren't designed to take advantage of a CVT's gearless system."

This may be true with the 4 cylinders, but I find my 3.5 V-6 to have tremendous pull at all speeds. I love the CVT--in fact it was the reason I decided on a Nissan. I had had experience with a CVT when I test drove a Saturn several years earlier, and altho I didn't particularly care for the car itself, I liked the utter smoothness of the transmission. Also, in the Saturn any desired increase in speed was accompanied by a tremendous revving of the engine almost to 6,000 RPM. None of this is present in the Nissan--the engine seems to be able to increase speed without having to scream itself to death.

"3rd (future) generation CVT: engines designed for CVT, MUCH quicker acceleration, more linear power delivery"
    There's just one problem--with the influence of the government pushing for lower emissions and higher gas mileage, we may enter another era similar to the 70's when cars actually lost ground in the areas of horsepower and performance. The more powerful V-6 may not be made available in all the models that it is currently available in. In fact, I average 24-26 MPG in my car consistenly.
    what problems have you been reading about? yea, it feels and handles differently than any other trans you've driven, but those arn't problems.