Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima CVT

Comments

• juanca08juanca08 Member Posts: 15
    I will visit a Honda dealer later today, they may be able to get out of that Altima before it breaks down completely. Now I am starting to have issues with a knocking sound when I start the car, I assume it's the transmission.
  • brendapibrendapi Member Posts: 3
    I totally understand you being upset about your car but be careful about buying a Ford also. I have owned a couple of Ford vehicles and had problems with them both. My last one I just got rid of because the transmission went out twice in 2 years. I would not buy a Ford again because of the troubles I had with both vehicles. Also, Ford could care less if they lose a customer because I wrote to them explaining my problem and my dismay about their cars and they more or less said, "too bad, so sad". They did not even try to give me any incentive to try one of the new Ford models. Good luck!!
  • randancerrandancer Member Posts: 1
    I have my car back - hurray . . . so, if you are thinking about a new car . . . DONT BUY NISSAN . . . my 3 year old car - yep only 3 years old - just got a brand new transmission . . . with NO FINANCIAL HELP from Nissan. If you google Nissan CVT transmission you can find literally hundreds of posts about them failing prematurely; however, Nissan obviously isn't going to take ownership or responsibility for this and I just spent $2,000 repairing a car that isn't paid for yet. This was my 5th Nissan and it will surely be my last - warn your friends - share my post - DON'T BUY A NISSAN WITH A CVT TRANSMISSION . . . . .
  • alexbtralexbtr Member Posts: 2
    You must have been taken for a ride by your mechanic. Nissan extended warranty on this CVT transmission on 2008 Altima to 10 years/100K miles. The only reason for no help from Nissan is if you put more than 100K miles on the car in 3 years. I have the same car/year and I verified it with Nissan. Talk to you Nissan dealer about the warranty.
  • kevin_lucas01kevin_lucas01 Member Posts: 1
    Your story sounds like mine as my Transmission blew at 71,000 on a road trip. What was the cause of the battery? I already replaced the battery twice after 25 months each?
    I did not have any problems with the battery, just the transmission. They have replaced the transmission twice valve body 3 times, computer once and they upgraded the transmission software twice. Fortunatelly, my lease has come to an end. :)
  • rabbitjockeyrabbitjockey Member Posts: 1
    I think you all should look in to the problems all of the early mini cooper owners went through. they also had a cvt transmission which often locked up, drove sporadic, and pulled out weird. Many of them failed just before or outside of the warranty with no help from mini usa. My gf had bought one used out of warranty it had less than 50k on it. the transmission completely failed 6-7 months after she bought it. Mini wanted over 9k to replace it, needless to say we sold it, and unfortunately she took a major loss on the car because she paid 13k and had to sell it for 3.5k. Mini has never admitted there was a problem, how ever after 05-06 all automatic mini coopers have a normal automatic transmission(guilt admitted right there). CVTs are failure prone and over priced, unfortunately most manufacturers are now switching to them.
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    If CVTs are overpriced and failure prone, why would it make sense for manufacturers to be moving in that direction?

Why would Nissan warrant them for 10 years/120,000 miles?
  • dontbefooled1dontbefooled1 Member Posts: 1
    Many Auto Companies have switched to these transmissions. GMC, SAAB, Volvo, and many others are using the C VT according Wikipedia. So the problem may not be Nissan but a good salesperson selling a problem prone tranny. I think I am going back to a 5 speed manual. I made it to 100K before I noticed an issue and I am still winging it. So far, I am still on the original tranny with no repairs thus far, but treating my transmission upon accel and decel like a baby. I have heard of some actually getting 200k with no issues. I wonder if it is the way we drive that it can't handle?
    It seems to shift a lot when I leave it auto mode. When I up shift manually, it seems to work much more smoothly now.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    If CVTs are failure prone and over priced, why would manufacturers being switching to them. You know why, because they are not failure prone and overpriced, that's why. They have been out on the mass market for almost 10 years now with many improvements and they keep coming. The few hundred who have issues has no statisically significance compared to the hundreds of thousands of CVT owners who have had no issues. The problem is, car blogs like this only report the few who do have issues. All the car manufacturers would not be moving in the CVT direction if there was this mass market problem and price associated with a CVT as you claim. CVT is the future, especially where fuel economy is concerned.
  • mlmcgaheemlmcgahee Member Posts: 102
    edited February 2012
    +1

I have had Zero CVT problems with my 2007 Nissan Rogue and now with my 2010 Nissan Altima coupe. :shades:

Mike
  • felicibertfelicibert Member Posts: 3
    We have a 2008 Altima with about 75,000 miles. The transmission sounds like a lawn tractor when starting from a stop. Does anyone else hear this noise, and has anyone's transmission failed after hearing this noise?
  • tripletrannytripletranny Member Posts: 13
    I had exactly the same problem - 2008 Altima 2.5L CVT. At about 80,000km I started hearing a whining/humming noise, faster on acceleration and slower on deceleration. Took it back to dealer for work, and they ended up pulling the whole CVT and replacing it (under warranty). Take it back and insist they look at it. My experience is that some CVTs are good from factory, but some are not.
    We took it to 2 dealers in fact. The first tried to convince us that it was the heat shield that needed to be welded and that was the noise. We had the heat shield welded. We took it to another Nissan dealer the very next day...he said it was the plastic shield on the bottom of the car that was rattling against the engine. It is clear to us that no one really wants to honor the Nissan Corporation warranty. We should take it to a third Nissan dealer to see what story they come up with next. I take care of my cars and know a rattling piece of metal or plastic from a failing transmission. Even the guy who welded the heat shield told us we have a problem. I was an advocate of Nissans previously but because of the horrible experience we had in buying this car and the experiences that we have had with Nissan dealers, I will not be owning one again. My wife and 2 toddlers ride in that car, and I would like to know if it is reliable or not. Even the service guy at the last Nissan dealer could not look me in the eye. He just mumbled something about..."There won't be any charge for today..." And walked away. Of course there won't be a charge. Why would you charge me for telling me one of the stories that came out of the Nissan Corporation handbook.
    My daughter has an 09 Versa SL CVT. Somewhere around 10-12K miles, A sudden noise developed as she was turning into a parking space in a parking lot. The sound was much like one would expect a faulty constant velocity joint to sound like. After a few laps around the lot, the noise went away.

Over the next 30K miles the noise came back for brief, 30 second periods... then, nothing. I guess one could say these sounds resembled those that a tractor might make.

At about 48K miles, the noise evolved into what I would describe as a bearing with a flat-spot on one or more of the rollers. And, it was constant, and speed-sensitive.

At that time, I took it in to the local Nissan dealer, where they immediately diagnosed it as a CVT failure and ordered a replacement. It was late December 2011, so it took a few extra days to get the new one shipped in and installed (8 days, I believe).

End of story: Car drives perfectly, no noises, no impace on mpg.

Zero $$$ out of pocket.

Since I have had auto tranny problems with GM and Chrysler in earlier vehicles during my 57 years, I'm not too worried about Nissan and their CVTs at this point...
    Sorry, I forget whether you are dealing with Nissan in the US or not - my experience was in Canada, and the service managers were excellent and did not give me any grief. The manager of the dealership was also good later when I returned the car itself and asked for a GOOD trade on a new Altima that hopefully DIDN'T have a CVT issue. If you're dealing with Nissan US, ask them why N. Canada has no problem dealing with replacing a whole tranny for nothing under warranty. If you're in Canada, my dealership is in Alberta.
    Thank you for your response, tripletranny. I'm glad that you have had a good experience. We are in the far southern U.S. Otherwise, I might drive to Alberta! When inside the car or from a distance, it sounds like a riding lawnmower. When you listen closely though, it sounds like a pulley that is spinning fast and wiggling on its axis. At this point, I cannot even get a dealer to acknowledge that there is anything wrong with our vehicle. When co-workers, family, or friends ride in our car, they ask what the noise is, and we have to tell them that 2 dealers have said nothing is wrong with the car. I also give them my additional opinion that all their new cars on the lot must sound the same way...since dealers have said that nothing is wrong with our car. These dealers have put my customer loyalty and the safety of my family below their bottom line in priority...and for that, Nissan will never receive my business again. I will also share my opinions freely about their products and dealers.
  • dino34dino34 Member Posts: 1
    How long does it take the dealer to replace the transmission if they have the parts?
    Once they had the parts in, it was about 3-4 days in the shop. I don't know how many hours per day they worked on it - it was under warranty so I wasn't billed for it. They also provided rental car free of charge.
  • rp10rp10 Member Posts: 1
    I just started having the same issue with my car about a month ago. I have an 08 Nissan Altima Coupe with about 67,000 miles on it. The "tractor shaking and sound" has happened three times. All three times it has happened when I'm in stop and go traffic. Usually, if I turn the car off and turn in back on it will stop. It happens right when I accelerate between 15-20 mph. I have no idea what is causing it and I haven't taken it to the dealer yet. When it does happen, the shaking is pretty bad and causes the entire car to shake and the sound is terrible. Have you gotten your issue checked out yet?
    At 60,000 miles the CVT fluid needs to be checked by the Nissan Service Department. They check to see how much viscosity life the CVT fluid has left and if it needs to be replaced. It's in the service manual.

Mike :shades:
  • richardseric1richardseric1 Member Posts: 1
    Can you comment on the "need" to use CVT fluid? I was quoted $440 by the dealership to do the fluid flush. The technician didn't see a problem with using an after market transamission flush from Jiffylube or pepboys. More questionable was the service managers response to my further questioning. I asked him, "What sort of problems have you had with higher mileage CVT's and what can I exepct?" His reply..."I don't have enough experience to advise you"

I am shocked that this topic has so many varied responses to the long term quality. Shame on you Nissan for making us skeptical.
    That sounds massively suspect. Try another dealer-sincerely. Either the manager is avoiding your question, or he really DOESN'T know, and hence you need to go to another service department. This dealership sounds like a big liability to Nissan to me.
    2010 Nissan Altima Owners Manual
    Page: 8-13

● Use only Genuine NISSAN CVT Fluid
    NS-2. Do not mix with other fluids.
    ● Using transmission fluid other than
    Genuine NISSAN CVT Fluid NS-2 will
    damage the CVT, which is not covered
    by the NISSAN new vehicle limited
    warranty.
    When checking or replacement of CVT fluid is
    required, we recommend your NISSAN dealer for
    servicing.

I'm not sure why you would be skeptical about Nissan CVTs based on what a single service manager told you in one conversation.

Nissan extended the warranty on both the CVTs that are in Nissan products in my immediate family to 120k miles/10 years.

That sounds like a pretty good level of confidence in their product to me. How many other manufacturers offer such a warranty?
    I had a 2010 Altima and base on my experience with the CVT I will not buy another car with CVT transmission again. After 5 times in the shop, two complete transmission replacements, two computers and sofware upgrades they couldn't fix it. Finally Nissan took it back :lemon:
    I had a 2010 Altima and base on my experience with the CVT I will not buy another car with CVT transmission again. After 5 times in the shop, two complete transmission replacements, two computers and sofware upgrades they couldn't fix it. Finally Nissan took it back :lemon:
    Fair enough...

At least you have had a tangible experience (bad) with a Nissan CVT.

Every manufacturer has lemons, and your number apparently came up. Mine came up in the late 1980's on a S10 Blazer. It should have been painted yellow instead of red.

The big difference here was you had actual problems, not just a mis-statement from some service manager.

The OP didn't mention any problems... Only that he was given contradictory information.

Big difference, at least to me.

If mis-statements caused huge concerns to shoppers at places like Best Buy, these places would no longer exists... Besides, in this case, the correct info is clearly printed in the owner's manual.
    I am in agreement with busiris. I have had 2 Nissan's (2007 Rogue and a 2010 Altima Coupe) with a CVT and I have had Zero problems. I did have a lemon :lemon: experience with a 2007 Toyota Rav4. They installed 3 transmissions in 6 months and did a lemon law by-back. That's when I bought my Nissan Rogue.

• wael_alsebaiwael_alsebai Member Posts: 3
    hello all

i tried to look for someone who has the same problem as mine, but i couldn't, too much issues to look.
    anyways here is my problem, i live in Saudi Arabia, and i drive between the cities too much, my altima after like 1 hour driving within the speed of 160/190 KM it stops moving forward and the speed dropping slowly and you cant speed up the car for more than 100-120 for like 10-15 min, even if try to drop down the transmission number from 6 to 5, nothing happen, its totally stuck.
    after like 10-15 min, everything goes back to normal and i can seed up again to 170-190 KM but again after a while the same problem occur again.

i did few researches and i found out it might be with the coolant(radiator) of the Transmission, its not designed to cool very much and that's causing the temperature of CVT oil to increase and then the sensors of the transmission will sense this high temperature which will cause the stuck for a while.

i want a solution please :cry: , can i replace the coolant with a different kind, or the oil or anything els that could clearly solve my problem

an urgent advise would be very appreciated.
  • wael_alsebaiwael_alsebai Member Posts: 3
    and this is the video of my car and the issue
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited September 2012
    "2013 Honda Accord: Attention To G-Forces Yields A Better CVT"

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1079054_2013-honda-accord-attention-to-g-fo- rces-yields-a-better-cvt

"....While that itself impressed us, what's the most noteworthy in the Accord's CVT is how quickly it can respond and bring revs up when needed. For instance, a number of CVTs (including the one in the 2013 Nissan Altima, surprisingly) will feel completely flat-footed and off their game if you roll around a corner at 15 mph with your foot off the gas and then accelerate at full throttle. The time to tap into full thrust is delayed for a surprising time. But in the Accord, it very quickly raises revs all the way up to the Accord's 6,600-rpm redline. Pull off the same test, dipping into half throttle out of the corner, and it very quickly finds the right ratio for the throttle opening—feeling a lot like downshifting and with no slow, muddled ramp-up.

How did Honda achieve this far better (we think) CVT calibration when rivals like Nissan have been working at it for so long? According to the project leader, Honda's CVT isn't much different in the mechanical design, but Honda put a lot of time into oil pressure control and electrical systems, along with the control software...."
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • reginas1671reginas1671 Member Posts: 1
    ý6 weeks - transmission still on back order. I brought my 2009 Nissan Altima Coupe (25,000 miles) into shop on August 8 & they tell me I need a new transmission. It will be covered under warranty but will take 4-6 weeks to come in. Fine, I can take that but when I call after the 6 weeks it is still on backorder & have no idea when it will be in. I am also told to keep driving the car until it breaks down completely. So put my life & others around me in danger for WHEN my car just dies in the middle of the road & have it towed in & they will give me a loaner IF they have one. Something just doesn't sound right to me????
  • piper_chuckpiper_chuck Member Posts: 7
    Took my Altima to the dealer this morning to determine why it was acting up. Twenty minutes later the service adviser told me it needs a new transmission and that they would give me a loaner. He estimates they'll have it back to me on Wed. Loaner is a 2012 3.5L Altima, so I don't mind if they take a few extra days. Replacement is covered by the post-sale transmission warranty extension Nissan put in place.

While I get that there are many cars out there that have no problems, a major failure so early in the life of a car makes me wonder about the long term reliability of Nissan and the CVT transmissions.
  • sonazsonaz Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2013
    In response to jd10013 whose RPM was misbehaving while coasting-

Were you in 'D' or 'Ds' mode (transmission lever setting)?

Sounds to me that you may have unknowingly been set to Ds (manual 'shift' mode - but doing no manual 'shifting' .

I have a 3.5 SL and have not experienced your issue - most of my driving is done in 'D' (not 'Ds).

BTW, setting to Ds mode and stepping on it when the light turns green, the car is like a rocket ship !
  • mattw522mattw522 Member Posts: 3
    Here is what I know.... and some of the follow up posts are getting a bit far away from the CVT.... anyway...

Mine is a 2009 Altima sedan with the 2.5S, CVT, 4 doors. I just started during a road trip to Cleveland, from Washington DC...The transmission fluid heats up, the engine cuts power via control signals from computer, car nearly stops. Pull over, shut off for 5-10 minutes, it will probably be back to normal. . . . For a few miles. Anyway, Look in the Altima manual, on page 5-20 it says, (paraphrase) Avoid driving this vehicle for extended distances, or at high or low speeds, for extended periods.... OMFG!!!!! You mean to tell me we bought a vehicle that does not like to be driven?!?!?!? Yes folks, we did. I will be taking mine back to the dealer for replacement (of entire vehicle) this week. This is unacceptable for many reasons, not only or the least of which, is the safety of myself, my wife, my child, and the other drivers on the road! Also, professionally speaking, this issue could cause a number of folks to become extremely unhappy with me.

This issue is touted as a SAFETY FEATURE, to protect the transmission from damage. I feel if the transmission is that "Light Duty", it should be in a smart-car.

If there is a way to deprogram this "Safety Feature", or install a larger and more efficient Transmission Oil Cooler, ( I do not know yet if it even has one, I forgot to look last time under the vehicle), I would love to know.

FOlks, stop wasting your time taking it to and from the dealer, they are going to charge you for diagnostics if they can, and they can do nothing. It is the way it is designed. If you dont belive me, read three paragraphs up or open the manual. IT IS CLEAR AS DAY. Also, do not feel put down by me. It is not my intention. Rmember, I own one too. I have worked on cars. I have seen the best new features and designs, and the worst new features and designs, and this particular " Safety Feature" is mind-bogglingly stupid. Never have I seen such a useless "Feature" in all my years under the hood. In fact, if I had been informed by the dealer of this feature, I WOULD NOT HAVE PURCHASED IT! NO WAY! I feel that if I tell the vheicle what to do, it will do it. MY VEHICLE DOES NOT TELL ME HOW TO DRIVE IT!

I cant really say much else. If any one of you have a second to repost this short diatribe on other sites and forums, that will help the word get out much better. I feel for each of you, I do. Myself as well. I reall, reallly..... REALLY hope I don't have to sue! But my finance company will not get another dime from me on this particular set of wheels!

Join me in the fight to end the rampant stupidity!
    Reliability is structurally sound, this bogging down is all part of the safety features programmed into the computer. You just have to decide if you can deal. I cannot.
    Yes, in theory your write up of the CVT is accurate and thorough. COngrats. This particular issue that this thread started with has clearly not plagued you, yet. You are so far extremely lucky. Try taking a road trip, and really stretch it's legs. When it wants to, the engine will cut power, and eventually force you to pull over and shut it down, because the trans oil is too hot. Make sure you find each emergency aprking area along the highway as you travel, cause if you get stuck without one, your life will be in danger at that point in your journey, and you will quickly change your opinion. Read my post, and it will make you see better.

Also, please do not feel offended by my response to you. It is not my intention. I promise.
    To mattw522, I'll try to do this politely and to help you with your "fight to end the rampant stupidity".

You need to open up the manual again and READ IT MORE CAREFULLY!

The section you reference is prefaced by a bold header saying "BREAK-IN SCHEDULE" (Nissan's caps) and then has this highlighted text:

"During the first 1,200 miles (2,000 km), follow these recommendations to obtain maximum engine performance and ensure the future reliability and economy of your new vehicle. Failure to follow these recommendations may result in shortened engine life and reduced engine performance."

After this are the following bullets, the first of which you seem to have an issue with:

● Avoid driving for long periods at constant speed, either fast or slow, and do not run the engine over 4,000 rpm.
    ● Do not accelerate at full throttle in any gear.
    ● Avoid quick starts.
    ● Avoid hard braking as much as possible.
    ● Do not tow a trailer for the first 500 miles (800 km). Your engine, axle or other parts could be damaged.

Quite simply, the words you're all riled up about were for a brief break-in period when the car was brand new!

You really need to re-read the manual before you begin ranting at the dealer or trying to return a 4 year old vehicle!
    Late follow-up to my original post. I got the car back on the originally scheduled day. It's been running fine since. I will probably keep it for another 5 years or so and then get something new.
    I have owned two Nissan's with the CVT. Work out of them daily and drive 500+ miles a week. I have had Zero problems.

• snerdmansnerdman Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    Bought a used 2010 Nissan Altima with 42k miles in October 2011. The first 100 mile trip, after pulling into town at a stoplight, it turns green and I go nowhere. It just "slips" for about 10 seconds before slowly moving forward. Long story short, it happened a couple more times. Once back home, it runs fine, no "slippage" when not on long trip. My SES light comes on yesterday, I take it to the dealer, they're going to have to replace the transmission. It has 53k on it. I had bought an extended warranty, so it's covered. Whew!! Also said my back 2 shocks had blown, and my wipers were streaky. Wipers?! Are you kidding me!! LOL!! Supposed to be the middle of next week for the new transmission to arrive.
    " It just "slips" for about 10 seconds before slowly moving forward. "

Sounds like one of the symptoms mine developed at the end.

"It has 53k on it. I had bought an extended warranty, so it's covered."

According to the 2010 Altima warranty booklet your car has a 60 month, 60K mile powertrain warranty. Nissan should be paying for the replacement, not your extended warranty company.
  • brendapibrendapi Member Posts: 3
    Sorry to hear about your trouble. The Nissan warranty does cover the new CVT transmission. I would hope your dealership told you that. I bought a 2008 Nissan Altima about 1 1/2 years ago. I have about 62,000 miles on it. This has been the best car I have ever owned. I absolutely love it and would buy another. I commute about 70 miles every day and have not had any problems. Again sorry that you had trouble with yours and hope you get your car back soon!
  • nizzan1nizzan1 Member Posts: 3
    !!!!!ATTENTION!!!!!
    IF YOU HAVE HAD A FAILED CVT TRANSMISSION OR A FAILING ONE GO TO THE NISSAN DEALER AND GET IT REPLACED FOR FREE!!!!!!! THATS RIGHT. MY 2007 ALTIMA HAD A PROBLEM AND THEY REPLACED THE CVT FOR FREE AND EVEN GAVE ME A RENTED CAR FOR THE ENTIRE TIME THAT THEY HAD MY CAR.

CHECK IT OUT HERE

http://www.nissanassist.com/ProgramDetails.php?menu=2

THEY HAVE EXTENDED THE WARRANTY TO 120000 MILES SO GO GET IT NOW. JUST WANTED TO SHARE WITH EVERYONE.
  • nizzan1nizzan1 Member Posts: 3
    IT COVERS FAILURES AS FAR BACK AS 2010. SO IF YOU ALREADY PAID FOR IT THEY WILL REIMBURSE YOU. THIS DOESNT HAPPEN EVERYDAY SO LETS ALL TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT.
    I HAD A 2010 ALTIMA, THE DEALER REPLACED THE TRANSMISSION TWICE, THEY GAVE ME LOANER EVERYTIME MY CAR WAS DOWN (5 TIMES- OVERALL DOWN TIME APPROXIMATE 30 DAYS) THE THIRD TIME THE TRANSMISSION FAILED NISSAN ACCEPTED TO BUY THE CAR BACK FROM ME. IT ONLY LAST ME 1 YEAR - 15,000 MILES. I AM DRIVING A HONDA ACCORD NOW. I HOPE NISSAN CAME UP WITH AN IMPROVED TRANSMISSION THIS TIME.
  • shandi_nicoleshandi_nicole Member Posts: 1
    To anyone who has had their CVT repaired on the extended warranty, does Nissan cover a rental car while it is being repaired? My car is 300 miles away (broke down 4 hours from home) and I have no one who give me rides, and public transportation is also not an option. I am a full time M-F, 8-5 student who cannot miss school. Hoping someone has good news about a rental car coverage!

TIA!
    Shandi, my dealer offered me a rental car without me even asking.