Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Tracker Tires

I purchased a 1999 Tracker Convertable 2wd about a year ago with about 76k miles on her. A national tire chain's web site said that the OEM tires that came with the Tracker are supposed to be P195/75R15, but are no longer available. The tires that came with my Tracker are Uniroyal Tigerpaw P205/70R15's. Last winter we actually got stuck in our driveway when it snowed, even though we had about 300 pounds of sand in the back over the rear axle. Since there is no way I'd ever take this thing off-road, can anyone recommend a good tire that gets decent traction in the snow and wet pavement and is also fairly quiet on the highway? What tires do owers of other 2wd convertables have on their Trackers? -Thanks, GF!

Comments

• Options
    mjpowermjpower Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2001 chevy tracker and I use Toyo open country all terrian tires. They work great. I live on the ma/nh border and I can drive trough anything mother nature has thrown at me. The blizzard the other year when we got 2+ feet of snow I just drove through. These tires worked so well I had them on my 2 wheel drive truck with no weight in the back, and my wife had her 4-wheel drive jeep and she got stuck. She had BF all terrain tires. She now uses TOYO tires. O I also went up to 215/70/15 tires It gave me about a 1/2 inch more lift and it handles better. I also take this off road in VT. and I am getting a 2-1/2 inch lift kit for it thur calmini.com
  • Options
    blacktracblacktrac Member Posts: 14
    What do you 1999-04 tracker owners keep your Uniroyal Tiger Paw tires inflated to? The door panel recommends 26 psi. I just bought a black 2001 tracker with over 80,000 miles on it and it still has the original tires on it! I just checked the tire air pressure and it had 38 psi in all of them. Is this(the high air pressure) what's making them last so long? I also have a green 2001 tracker with 61,000 miles on it and it will be getting new tires next week. I keep the inflation on that tracker at 30 psi. Thanks for any comments.
  • Options
    arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    I was told 26psi also. i used to fill mine to 35 and they cupped from over inflation.

I just got new tires at sears and they even said 26psi for the tracker.i Noticed a smoother ride as when i had 35psi i felt the bumps alot more.
  • Options
    george114george114 Member Posts: 10
    I had the UniRoyal tires as original equipment but I did not like them. They were slippery on wet pavement. When I replaced them I put on Michlins, the next size up that would fit and I inflate them to 26 lbs as indicated on the sticker on the drivers door. They work great. I have 131150 miles on the Tracker and about 70,000+ miles on the Michlins.
  • Options
    blacktracblacktrac Member Posts: 14
    I'll be needing 4 new tires in a few months, Does anyone recommend any tires that they had good luck with? I do mostly city driving and maybe once a week on the highway. I don't want to get the Tiger Paw AS-6000(205/75/15)(too many bad reviews) but was thinking of going a little wider with a Michelin Harmony 205/70/15 but don't want them to take away the good gas mileage with the tracker. Any comments are welcome, thanks.
  • Options
    rengelkenrengelken Member Posts: 10
    I have a set of Michelin XCX / ACT tires on my 2004 Tracker. I've had them now for some 12,000 plus miles, and they do quite well in all types of weather, snow to dry pavement. They also work well off road. My MPG is running 23-24 miles per gallon.
  • Options
    mjpowermjpower Member Posts: 7
    I have toyo open country all terrien 215/70/15. I have had no problem going thru anything. I live on the NH border and go to up state VT in the middle of winter to my camp. no problem with snow/mud/highway driving. and the 215 do not rub. the 225 or 235 may rub during tight turns. so if you don't mind a litlle rubbing get the bigger ones.
  • Options
    crow2991crow2991 Member Posts: 2
    I also have a 1999 chevy tracker 2dr convertable. I have four wheel drive but i have 225/75/15R on mine with no rubbing and no noise and no lift!
  • Options
    crow2991crow2991 Member Posts: 2
    I have 225/75/15r on my tracker and i have them inflated to 35 as well! to me at 26 they look flat but of course i have a bigger tire.
  • Options
    capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    Just an FYI.

According to Tire Guides, the original tires on a 1999 Chevy Tracker were either P195/75R15 or P205/75R15 mounted on 5.5" rims, inflated to 24 psi front, 26 psi rear.

P225/75R15's require a minimum rim width of 6" - and that means the stock wheels on the Tracker are too small for the tire. That causes the tread face of the tire to arch and may result in the tire wear more quickly in the center of the tread, a tendency to follow the ruts and grooves in the road, and a sensitivty to cross winds. While increasing the inflation pressure may help with the cross winds, that's the wrong direction for both wear and the groove following.