Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord vs Toyota Camry vs Nissan Altima (V6 Models)

2»

Comments

• whampa65whampa65 Member Posts: 36
    Can you read that review online?
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    It is in the magazine, Get it, its interesting, but I am sure you can view it online
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    "Can you read that review online?"

My March issue arrived in today's mail. It probably won't be on the news stands until a couple of weeks from now. It will then show up on Car and Driver's website a week or so later. They don't want to cannibalize magazine sales by having articles online too soon.
  • charmer3charmer3 Member Posts: 1
    One thing you must always keep in mind on any comparison in a publication such as Motor Trend or Car and Driver is the fact that they will never be negative towards the people who pay their bills (i.e. Honda advertiser). An editor would never want to risk losing a revenue stream. With this in mind their evaluations tend to be a little biased.
    In a seven-way comparo, six of the seven "revenue stream" advertisers don't win the top spot.
  • jahidjahid Member Posts: 5
    I have found two 2007 Honda accord LX from 2 different dealers, with very similar mileage (around 13000) miles. both are honda certified. I looked one, they asked for 18,500. the second one is asking $18,500 (it was a rental car). Honda certification , is it really something worth paying few hundred extra? Does certification means it does not need a check by mechanic? If the word 'usually' is the answer, please say that.
    None of them are with a lot of options. ie, no power seating, blue tooth capability, sunroof or alloy wheels. Other than power seating I do not care about the rest.
    KBB value for trade is $15.8K and suggested retail is over $20K. I think I should not pay more than $16.5k (plus tax, tags etc)
    Feel free to aadvice.
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    Don't pay $18.5k for a used car. Buy a new 2008 Accord LX for $19.2k. Check the prices paid forum, you are better off going new.

Honda certified used cars are outreageously price. Good for us new every 3 year buyers because it keeps residuals high.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    This Camry belongs to my dad's first cousin. I thought I'd share a few thoughts after an hour's drive in it.

Interior -
    Not as bad as I had first felt. It was an LE with limited options, but the quality overall was above average, if not stellar. All the stalks and buttons moved fluidly. The grey on grey scheme inside was quite dreary though.

Steering/Handling -
    The steering felt electric. The weighting was a bit light for my tastes but definitely liveable, but the overall crispness that I've gotten accustomed to in my Accords was just not there. On the highway I found myself making little corrections at 70 MPH because the path I thought I was on, I actually wasn't. The brake pedal made me panic at first because it took so much travel (easily twice as much as the Accord) The handling was marginally better than the previous gen, but I think I'd have to take an SE to be sold on the Camry's handling.

Ride -
    This car is the opposite of the Honda. If you say the Honda is a tradeoff for 75% sport/25% ride, the Camry is the other way around, 25%/75%. It's spongy, but not completely floaty. Good for driving in the bumpy subdivision we left from, but not so great for the highway, since directional control suffered somewhat.

Engine -
    Above 3000 RPM, this thing is a monster. TONS of usable power, and highway speed has no effect on it seemingly - it pulls as hard at 20 MPH as it does at 70 when you give enough throttle for a downshift or two. Interestingly though, around town the Camry felt slower than my 4-cylinder Accord, and I'm sure this is due to the lazy throttle response programming on the Toyota, and the sharper programming in the Honda. The quiet in this car is serene, but I'd rather hear a little more of the 2GR!

Overall -
    I think the Camry is the Rodney Dangerfield of these boards; it gets no respect. Being the frontrunner in sales makes it seem like the Patriots, the bogey that other people love to hate. It's actually a great car for people looking for a luxury feel at a mainstream price.

For the record, I have a 2006 Accord EX, 2.4L, Automatic.

I hope readers find this review helpful and unbiased; I have nothing against Toyota, and I'm not a Honda loyalist - I've looked long and hard at the new Altima for my next car, and haven't ruled out an SE Camry.

Happy motoring!

TheGrad
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    Grad -- you are one balanced dude! ;) Good review!
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    Grad -

You actually would consider something other than Honda? Are you feeling OK?
    Ya, I actually test drove the Jetta, and loved it! I did, and I always will, but something about honda, keeps coming back. I really love hondas, If I had to tell you why, it would be hard to explain.
    Ha, I've got two Hondas, but it doesn't mean I'm completely loyal. Sure, they've both given me good service, but that doesn't mean others can't do the same.

;)

I really want some good seat time in an Altima!
    So, are you going to trade your accord in for an altima at some point? What mileage
    are you at on your 06? I have 31,600 on my 06 accord.... I am over my mileage, and the dealer, which they correct, told me that I will have about $700 in negative equity when I trade because I am over, I should be at around 24kmiles. They did say, I am in good shape, If I were to drive another model like a few other products, I would be in the hole real bad.... so, I will soon have to trade my 06 or go further into negative equity. But, I don't want to trade in the bitter cold, and nasty weather...

I looked on KBB, and they are right, my pay off is about $700 short of trade value,
    Oh well, it could be worse...
  • caazcaaz Member Posts: 209
    Why on earth would you trade.... when accords have such a strong resale value. Sell it outright for another 1500.00, then you're not upside down at all, and why not keep the car if you like it and drive it up to 300k miles. That would last you over 10 yrs at your current mileage.???

later
    Caaz
    Well, I am on a lease... and I really wanted a few more features in the car when I bought it, but at the time, I was glad just to have a new car. Now, I am at position to be able to get a new car all on my own. Which is great! Thanks to my grandfather, I have great credit now! I know Hondas last forever, I am thinking of owning my next car after its lease, but thats the fun part of leasing, I am always within a few years of a new car....

My mother has thought the same thing with her lease, she's like well I am keeping it, and then she says she might want a new car, its back and forth, its crazy.

If I were to sell my 06, apparently word on the street is, that I might have to pay double tax? Anyone sell their car? Is this true? Wouldn't I just get the payoff, and the buyer would be responsible for it? I really do not want to mess around with selling it.
  • phantomvphantomv Member Posts: 101
    I would really like to read some unbiased comparisions among the three V6 versions of these cars, and the reaction to the Accord's VCM. One person here said it was "noticeable" but not objectionable. A WSJ tester found it "maddening behavior". Anyone out there actually road test all three identically?
    Eh, i have no intention of getting a new car. But, if I did, I'd take a hard look at those I mentioned.
    thegraduate go look at the lease quotes I got in the lease forums, and tell me what you think, and what I should do..Thanks alot!
    I'm clueless on leases. I would never lease a car, therefore have never taken the time to understand the lease rates. I'm not going to be any help there my friend, sorry! :)
  • mistymmistym Member Posts: 1
    Which car did you end up going with? My husband and I went thru the same scenerio. Had all intentions of purchasing a new Honda, drove an 08 Civic and Accord. Wasnt totally happy with either. Then went next door to the Toyota dealer, almost made a deal on an 08 Camry, but I wasnt 100% satisfied with those either. Beautiful car, no doubt. Then a friend who has always had Nissan's steered us in the direction. We ended purchasing an 08 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL. The interior (comfort and looks) is alot better than both Honda and Toyota, more for your money. The incentives were better, cash back AND low APR, unlike Honda and Toyota it was one or the other. And the warranties are unbeatable. 100,000 mile warranty, and the others were only 30,000. The dealer threw free tire and oil changes for life, the others just couldnt beat it. I almost settled for a Camry, I'm sure it would of been a good car, but I'm glad we checked out the Nissan's. Very nice car.
    100,000 mile warranty, and the others were only 30,000.

I'm not sure who told you about a 30,000 miles warranty, but they were mistaken. Hondas I know (and I think Toyota as well) have 5 year, 60,000 mile powertrain warranties, with 3 year, 36,000 miles for the bumper to bumper.

I'm guessing the warranty you got at the Nissan dealer is aftermarket, and not what comes standard with the car? Honda and Toyota offer these as well.
    "I am over my mileage, and the dealer, which they correct, told me that I will have about $700 in negative equity when I trade because I am over, I should be at around 24kmiles."

You might try working with your leasing company to extend your lease for several months and then drive the vehicle sparingly. That way you might be even before having to return it.
  • fventurafventura Member Posts: 13
    I too was comparing the Altima 2.5 and 3.5 to the Accord I4 and V6. I love the comfort and drive of the Altimas from the drivers seat, but my wife complains of the rock hard seat bottom on the Altima's. They also sit quite low on the passenger side and do not support her legs.

Anyone else notice this?

Most I've driven have a slight vibration at highways speeds also

In the Accord I've notice vibrations from VCM on almost all V6's I have test driven at 58-65 on the highway. I find the interior very comfortable though.

Haven't tried the Camry's yet.
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    "...The dealer threw free tire and oil changes for life, ..."

I would be carefull with that warranty and read the fine print. Some other poster did an analysis on a similar warranty and decided not to take "advantage?" of it. His warranty required excessive trips to the dealer for balance/rotation, etc. (for a fee, of course) that at the end of the tire life he would have paid 3 fold for the tires through other "required" services to maintain the warranty. I think it was either a Pilot or Accord forum if you want to locate the older post.
  • minivanguyminivanguy Member Posts: 85
    I know you heard this a million times, "All cars have problems"!!!! :sick:(some are more major than others). :surprise: I have an 08 XLE V6 w/o nav, for a little over 3 weeks now and this car has been fantastic. Not to say that in the future it won't have any problems. If you search throughout the internet people are posting complaints about all these cars. I think you need to personally test drive all three, find out which one fits in your budget with the options you like, whatever one looks the best to you etc. I never driven the accord or altima, but the camry ride is quiet and there is basically no wind, engine or tire noise in the cabin. Every time I hit a pothole or any imperfection in the road, there are virtually no rattles and the imperfections in the road are smooth, "like gliding on air" . The camry is alot more crisp and refined like a Lexus. :blush:
    The camry is alot more crisp and refined like a Lexus.

I'll give you "refined", as the Camry has always tended to be (not to say that the Honda and Altima aren't also). But the LE/XLE Camry sedans are anything but crisp relative to an Accord or Altima. They are flabby handlers with a mushy brake pedal and slow throttle response. I drove an 08 LE-V6, and it didn't come close to the handling crispness of my 06 Accord EX 4-cyl, whose brakes are always ready with a firm, short-travel pedal, quick turn-in, and steering with something the Camry in regular form lacks - FEEL. Also, the throttle response was so slow that my Accord felt faster around town, despite being down 102 horses and one gear to the Camry.

The difference is that the Camry LE/XLE does ride more smoothly. It's all a matter of taste. Someone wanting a serene ride that won't slosh the latte and care little about the "fun-to-drive" factor (people like my 50 y.o. mom fit this example) the Camry is a fine choice. For me, it just made me yawn and yearn for my cheaper, less powerful (mine is a 4-cyl) Honda. The Camry V6 engine is terrific though, even though I couldn't really hear it.

DISCLAIMER: The above comments about the Camry's handling are LE/XLE only, they do not apply to the SE which I have yet to drive.
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    I'm with thegraduate on this one! The Camry is, indeed, a very fine vehicle. But, the one thing it is not is "crisp" when compared to Lexis, Altima or Accord. I spent lots of time driving both Camrys and Accords before I bought my 08 Accord. There are several things I liked better about the Camry, including its nice, smooth and quite ride. But, in terms of being crisp -- it is not. I totally agree with Grad's comments about the steering, throttle and transmission response on the Camry.
  • minivanguyminivanguy Member Posts: 85
    Let me clarify, in my lifetime I've owned a 95 grand marquis, 89 buick regal, an old nissan (can't remember what year) :confuse: , 03&04 Chrysler T&C, 05 Honda Odyssey, 07 Toyota Sienna, and my now 08 camry. As you can see I've not driven to many cars, so in my "OPINION" ;), compared to what I've driven yes, "I THINK" the camry is "MORE" crisper. :)
    Wow, other than the Odyssey (which drives fairly sharp for a van and is the sportiest-driving van on the market, although heavy) you've had no cars with any type of sporty/crisp handling. I guess relatively, a Camry would seem sharper, but if you tested something like a Mazda 6 or an Accord, you'd see just how slow-responding it really is.

That being said, I can see you tend to go for comfy vehicles, and the Camry is a good choice as far as those go. :)
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    that when I bought my 1986 Legend, the V6 put out 165 HP, which was more than the Ford 302 of that year, and the Legend seemd rather quick when compared to my 1983 Grand Marquis whose 302 put out 130 HP...

Now the Accord 4 cyl puts out 190 HP, 25 more than my V6 of 1988...
    that when I bought my 1986 Legend, the V6 put out 165 HP, which was more than the Ford 302 of that year, and the Legend seemd rather quick when compared to my 1983 Grand Marquis whose 302 put out 130 HP...

Now the Accord 4 cyl puts out 190 HP, 25 more than my V6 of 1988...

Shoot, the Honda Accord in 1997 had 170 horses, and that was before the new stricter SAE standards (so probably around 165). That's basically the same as my 2006 Accord with 166 (under the correct, new SAE standards) horses. What a difference 10 years makes, eh? :)
  • rdoctorrdoctor Member Posts: 1
    I have an '09 (not a typo) Camry V6 LE that I just got as a fleet vehicle as a replacement for a Grand Prix. We are on our 7th Honda as a personal vehicle (Pilot). The Camry is hush-puppy quiet. I like the power it makes as well, but it is more sensitive steering than I'd prefer. I've read some of you talking about the four cylinder engines benefits, but spend a thousand miles behind the Honda/Toyota/Nissan V6 and you have to apologize for using precious energy talking about sufficient power in the I-4. ;]

If I had my pick, I'd probably buy a Nissan, just because I don't like the Accord tail end treatment. The Koreans are now designing Hondas??? It looks like a Hyundai. Otherwise, give me the Accord for all-around driving pleasure and feel.
    Everyone must be out driving!
  • iwanthondaiwanthonda Member Posts: 13
    Well, I'm back from driving! Here are my two cents...

I just picked up a 2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6 with Navi a week ago, and I am loving it. Before my purchase, the comparison was between the highest trim levels of the Accord, Altima 3.5 SE, Camry SE V6, and Subaru Legacy GT Limited. Therefore, keep in mind that my comments are focused toward someone looking for a powerful and well-equipped vehicle.
    The Legacy is a very fun car to drive and has the added benefit of AWD, but it was quickly eliminated because of its smaller size and poor fuel economy (on a 4-cylinder Turbo no less!). If I were in a different life situation, I would highly consider this car, along with the fact that there are great deals to be had based on its low demand.
    In my opinion, the fully-loaded Camry SE V6 was the comparable trim level instead of the XLE V6 because of its sporty quality. When equipped as it was, the 2008 model had a similar MSRP to the Accord but in reality ran about $2k less based on the deals available at the time, since 2009 models were out. In terms of bang for your buck, I would say that the Camry comes out on top based on ridiculous markdowns, but obviously I went in a different direction for a reason. The reason being that the Camry SE V6, even as loaded as you could get it, did not satisfy enough of my luxury desires for a car in its class. If you compare simply to the XLE V6, you automatically lose out on dual zone auto HVAC, rear vents, smart-key, rear sunshade (both have no folding rear seat?!?). Of course the Accord isn't able to accomodate with all of these features, but it shines in many other ways. Overall, I also felt the Camry had a cheap "plasticky" feel to it, not to mention the turquoise back lighting (very embarrassing, IMHO). Had Toyota been able to create a vehicle that drives as well as the sportier SE V6 (6-speed AT with sport-shift also great), equipped it with the luxury features it deserves, and improved build quality to rival the Accord, I would probably be sitting in a different car right now. But alas, such a car does not exist, so on we go to the next candidate.
    The Altima 3.5 SE equipped with the Technology Package is probably the most complete rival to the Accord EX-L V6 with Navi, and I found that the OTD prices were about the same as the Accord. It is more powerful, more sporty, and ultimately more feature-laden than the Accord. However, that power and sportiness comes in the form of a CVT engine which tickles the delight of others, but simply frustrates me as someone who would prefer to be driving a manual tranny had I been in a different life situation. Additionally, the features may be there on paper, but I found that the Altima does not hold long-lasting appeal over its projected 10-12 year life. Sure, there is the birds-eye view (which does nothing for me, btw), XM NavTraffic, and a rear-view monitor with the Nav system, but it comes in a smaller 6.5" screen that looks like it was an added slide-in accessory to the center console. Besides, the Accord can be easily equipped with a genuine Honda-brand rear-view camera kit that is well-situated above the license plate (under cover from weather). To top it off, I test drove a demo car that belonged to one of the dealer's finance managers, having about 3,000 miles on it. As soon as I sat in the car, I was quite shocked to find that the car had aged in such a way that was very unflattering for the luxury level that it was supposed to have maintained. The wood grain looked much cheaper than it already did on a new car, and the fit and finish simply looked severely aged.
    In response to all the competition laid out above, I find that the Accord has sufficiently addressed most of the shortfalls found in the other vehicles. The build quality is excellent, and is unsurpassed by any of the competitors by far. The Navi, while the visual interface hasn't been updated in a few years, is still state-of-the-art, and its ease-of-use, functionality, and accessibility make it rise to the top yet again. As far as getting all the desired features, it is somewhat sad to say, but they are attainable pretty much just at the highest trim level. For example, the bluetooth and trip computers are terrific, but they will only accompany the Navi. I will admit that the V6 engine is not as well-rounded as its competitors in terms of capability and sportiness, but it still provides a very satisfying growl and can hold its own on the track when complimented by its excellent handling. On paper, I would say that the fuel economy is a wash, and obviously I have no ability to test all the vehicles with my specific driving situation. However, when compared to my previous car (1997 Audi A4 1.8T), I now am getting 18.5 MPG for about 250 miles driven in the Accord, as compared to 23-24 MPG in the A4. This should be expected, though, as my current commute is only 2.5 miles stop-and-go one way, and we're talking the difference between a small 4-cylinder engine and the larger Accord V6 in a situation where VCM cannot really provide its benefits. Speaking of VCM, I find no bothersome traits about this feature as has been documented by other reviewers, but I wouldn't mind if it was a casualty for improving to a 6-speed auto tranny with manual sport-shift. As far as aesthetics go, my opinion is that the re-designed car looks great now and will continue to look great years from now, and that my initial dissatisfaction with the rear was well satisfied by the addition of a subtle yet distinctive deck lid spoiler.

So there's my detailed opinion in terms of what mattered to me. All in all, if I didn't have the extra $2k to spend, I would've gone for a fully-loaded Camry SE V6 and would have been satisfied with the value. But since my budget was accomodating, I decided to spend the extra $2k to get the Accord that more completely satisfied what I was looking for, and I was able to still keep it at $29k OTD (without accessories).
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    Just to keep in mind when your deciding between the 09 Accord 09 Camry and 09 Altima is that the seats in the Hondas/Acura are not very good on your back; I have a severe back problem and a spinal fusion in my lumbar spine; I've found the seats in Honda/Acura vehicles to be too firm (both cloth and leather) and that they push in on my back too much; I've test drove an altima and camry and the seats were much more comfortable; just the right blend of softness and firmness; also, what honda does not tell you is the passenger side front heated seat on heat up on the bottom cushion, it does not heat the back cushion on the passenger seat; both the altima and camry heated seats heat both the butt and back cushion on BOTH the driver and front passenger seats making for a much more comfortable ride
  • mrbigjohnsonmrbigjohnson Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2010
    I agree. how can you even compare Camry with altima or Honda. I drove all camry models since 1986. (test drove to be precise. I would never own such a piece of horse crap myself). they all suck when it comes to handling. why would you even consider this car. Toyota got their "reliability" label in 80s and still live off of that. I would say 1992-1996 are the only Toyota Camry which had decent built quality in that time.

if you want performance and great handling it's:
    1) honda. I would safely say they make the best front wheel drive handling cars over all. (prelude, civic, accord).
    2)nissans. 1993-2001 altima models were super cheap. great value. handled superb compare to toyota camry or corolla.
    3) Camry or corolla is basically a japanese equivalent for grand moms and other elderly people who never drove anything besides oldsmobiles. I would never ever even think about buying a toyota unless it's a supra or MR2.

I am done with family sedans and now own honda prelude, BMW m3 and audi A4. I would say if you want comfort and performance go with Nissan Altima. it's the best value you can get among all 3. everything starting from interior is by far better than Toyota Camry. hondas are great but a little expensive. altima's V6 vq3.5 engine was on wards 10 best engines list for 10 years. latest 4 cylinder 2.5L engine still needs some time to gain confidence and respect.
  • jenktjjenktj Member Posts: 2
    Is there anyway to get a Zune HD media player to work the USB port of a JBL system so that you can control the playback from the audio controls? When connected, I get a 'USB error' on the display.

Thanks.
  • jam808jam808 Member Posts: 14
This discussion has been closed.